The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: So Good
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 9:13 pm 
This was a wonderful ride, I enjoyed every step of it. It was fluid and deeply moving, and captured the feeling I think a lot of people have about the relationship, the reason that we love it so much. It is special and one-of-a-kind and we, like John, would love to be able to get a sense of what they feel and what it's like, if only for a second. I think with this fic I finally have.

Thanks for that.

Post subject: Re: So Good
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 3:01 pm 
Mike, thanks again for this fic. I can see that this four-parter has an integrity in itself that any further chapters would disturb. It is complete. And frankly, without John, it really wouldn't be the same story at all. But I really urge you to write another one, whether AU or earlier season fill-in or future. Your writing has such presence, and it is so unique. Every fanfic is unique, of course, but your writing has an understated and deliberate quality to it so that I find myself slowing myself down to make sure I don't miss anything. And I really value that; I'm a fast reader, and it takes a lot to get me to slow down that way.

I also want to say that after my own two-year writer's block (and I'm supposed to be writing a dissertation, so this is a bit of a problem), writing W/T has finally, finally opened up my writing again. If they are doing that for you, too, then don't let any hesitations you may have prevent you from going on. That's unsolicited and maybe out of line advice, but it's heartfelt. Just know that when you do post another fic, you clearly have an audience ready to read and be moved by whatever you give them. --Tulipp.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 4:02 pm 
Tulipp, before this thread disappears into the archives, I just wanted to say thank you once again. I will do my best to write something else at some point, and hope that it will be at least half as good as yours. But I'm a very slow writer, so don't hold your breath! Again, many thanks.

Mike.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 9:33 pm 
Wow, Mike what can I say? Thank you for an amazing story. It was wonderful to read. I had tears in my eyes reading the end and its not often that this is the case. The end was beautiful, John sacrificing his life for the Tara & in turn Willow was so powerful.

Sorry I was late posting a reply but was away for the weekend, glad I didn't miss it.

I hope you use your talent in the future :)

"I am a whiz...If ever a whiz there was"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 10:40 pm 
Not meaning to bump this! If it hasn't gone by the weekend, I'll ask Xita to move it to the completed fics section. Just wanted to jump in to say, thanks Whiz!

Writing this story allowed me to explore more fully my own feelings for W/T, and I'm glad it seemed to resonate with other Kittens (although I think it might have been a bit too raw and angsty for many!)

I'm beginning to think that yes, maybe I can write something else - but I'll try to do a 180 and come up with something totally angst-free! Thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 4:48 am 
Hey, Mike! What great news! (See, you just rated two exclamation points). I look forward to seeing what you come up with, although I think I think a little angst is practically a convention of W/T fan fiction. So maybe do a 120? Well, whatever you do, I'll be eagerly awaiting it. --Tulipp.

Post subject: Great Job!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 5:54 am 
Mike,

Sometimes a story comes along that is so breathtaking it makes all others pale by comparison, this is such a one. When I saw that you had written something, I remembered your fine letter to Joss that you posted earlier and I knew that this would be worth reading. When you said there would only be four parts I waited until all were done because I prefer reading complete, whole works. I am so glad that I did read this but wish I hadn’t waited so long.

You did a marvelous job with the tone and atmosphere of this piece. Your use of language was extraordinary and convey both emotion and setting especially well. The few show references were nice, but almost a bit jarring since your own material was so compelling. The direct dialog did not seem this way, however.

I find the idea that Tara’s soul would be within Willow and that she would be searching outwards unable to realize what she already had to be very appropriate. It would explain her reactions and still has them together, very well thought out.

I also liked the sly jabs at Joss Whedon and ME. Whether they were intentional or not, they were very apt. What powers indeed would travail to cause such an event to come to pass?

The character of John was also very interesting. You hinted well at his background and I liked the way the Council was protrayed. It definitely felt in keeping with what we have seen on the show. John’s standing with the coven and the council were a nice contrast. In some ways the character reminds me of an older John Constantine from the DC comics. Wise, knowing, somewhat cynical with a dark side and pains of his own which you allude to without spelling out in too much detail that would have detracted from the story. Again, excellently done. I should add that it would be interesting to see other stories with him in them, though they would not have W/T present.

With all the pain and suffering season sucks and the death have caused, in the end this is an enormously uplifiting tale. You have done a great job and I only wish that my own works were half as good. I sincerely hope that you do another sometime in the future. And I didn't think this was too angsty either.

Garner

Post subject: Re: Great Job!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 1:42 am 
I just caught up with this fic after Garner nudged me to read it, and I must say, I'm impressed. I loved the first person narrative looking in on Willow and Tara's bond; reflective, and then responsive, the character of John was very well developed.

When ME created the relationship between W/T, I bet they didn't realize that the wonderous actresses they had hired would transend the material. You do our girls honor here. This was a wonderful story - healing, and moving, and beautifully written. Thanks for posting it.

BM

TARA: Willow and I always know how to find each other!

ANYA: With yoga?

Post subject: Re: First Fic: Endless
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 4:32 am 
Mike, I started this fic when you first posted and usually I'm sometimes leary of them. But it was really well done [ and yes with Garners urging] I finished. Thank you, I hope you continue with writing.

Tara nodded in agreement "She has magic fingers." Then, as though the words had just echoed back to her and sounded not at all right, she perked up and glanced around at the others. "On the keyboard."

TheWisdom of War, Chris Golden

'My heart is cleverer then I and it knows what to do.'-MC Legends of the Kiss

Post subject: Re: First Fic: Endless
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 1:09 pm 
mike, this fic was magnificent. it really captured the beauty of their relationship and showed us something of what they feel for each other. thank you so much for writing this, it really was beautiful. please do write more in the future, you write wonderfully and this was a complete pleasure to read. sorry i took so long to reply, but my brain saw all that writing and told me 'there's no way i'm reading all that for you' but now, hey, it's the holidays. and my brain is rested, hense, reading of the end of this fic.

thank you again,

steph

"Dr. Becker, have you seen the skeleton?" "What do you think I am, a skeleton thief? You want to search me?!"
"Oh, bugger off, you brolly!" - Anya to Giles on his use of the english language
"We'll all be a lot happier without the constant whining....Mom, Buffy, Tara, Waah" - DMW to Dawn

Post subject: Amazing Story
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 1:21 pm 
I just wanted to add my thanks and praise! The first person narrative is immensely innovative and totally sucked me in. I had to read the entire story in one setting and your words just flowed. It was angsty and beautiful. Thank you and I do look forward to reading more from you.

Post subject: Re: Amazing Story
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 3:31 pm 
Mike,

My God, this was a fantastic story.

No. This was one of the best I have ever read here, and lately I have read some really good stuff. Es, like others Garner pointed this one out to me, and I am so glad her did.

At first I was worried about the first-person narrative from John. He seemed like an intruder and a lot fics with highly involved new characters rarely go over well. But you changed my mind rather fast.

John is us.

Whether we choose to admit it or not, we feel everything he did. We would have made the same choices. He knew he was an intruder in their love, but he was going to do everything and anything to be sure that things were going to be right.

The quotes from the show were amazing. Willow’s longing is so intense and palatable that I felt it right along with John. She was a broken little girl that used to be a bright, vibrant and powerful young woman.

This part got me so worked up,

Quote:

Sometimes in this world there are exceptions.

Sometimes, love never dies.

I could hear them both now. Echoes of words whispered in love long ago. Between two souls for whom the universe had made an exception.

Where would you go? If you felt lost and alone? Where would you go?

To you.

I could SEE Tara’s soul there, burning like a sun in the center of Willow’s darkness and pain. It made so much sense.

Raw doesn’t even come close.

Part four was intense. At John’s “very well” I knew that he crossed some line that even he was not coming back from. I am glad Henry got it.

Willow’s first word in weeks, “Tara” as John and we knew it would be.

So many good lines too, Marion’s thought “For you, my love. I would do this for you.”

Who wouldn’t.

Garner called these gabs at ME, I agree, but they are also much deeper than that.

Quote:

"If the Powers needed her dead for some tortured, unfathomable design, then to hell with them, for all time."

and

Quote:

"Oh Tara. Here you are. Cold and lonely while the sun comes to warm the world. What monsters are they that think you could deserve this? Who judged you, and said “No more?”

I can’t let it end here. I won’t."

Who is talking here Mike? You, John or us?

One of these is going to be my new sig file.

Summoning Arawan. Good choice. Screw Osiris.

John’s final words were loving and intense. Like a man who sees his children happy again knowing that he can die in peace. I know that what ever John has done in the past he can go to oblivion knowing that his last act was one of such profound good that all the pleasures of heaven or the tortures or hell will mean nothing.

This is the story that was too passé for Joss to tell. Life is not always about pain and suffering, sometimes things go so right and that story can be as heartfelt and happy and sad and as powerful as anything. More so in fact. I left this story feeling more than I had coming into it. “Buffy” of the last year has left me feeling less.

You beat them at their own game.

Warlock

-----

Web Warlock

The Other Side, home of Liber Mysterium: The Netbook of Witches and Warlocks

That's right there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over!
- Frank Zappa, You Are What You Is.

Edited by: WebWarlock at: 7/19/02 7:34:41 am

Post subject: Re: Amazing Story
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 7:27 pm 
Mike, I would just like to add that I thought the inclusion of Giles, and the way he was handled was also most excellently done. I loved his reference to "the children" in Sunnydale. I also liked his response and protectiveness. Very much in keeping with his character and we haven't seen much of his reaction in a lot of the fics. Very nice.

Garner

Post subject: indebted
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 9:28 pm 
I just had the chance to read and I am now indebted to you... it was a fantastical strong and unwaivering story that never shied from its true path and did indeed deliver us as it did Willow and Tara.

The concept was fantastic and your explanation of details (and even in parts the debunking of old rites) was extensive and intoxicating...

bravo... kathleen

"I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine."

To The Land of The RainbowWriters

Post subject: Hey, more feedback!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 9:38 pm 
I really didn't expect any more, but I'm so grateful.

Tulipp - Thanks for popping in again, Juli. Yeah, nothing wrong with a little angst as long as there's a happy ending. I'll see what I can do. (And still eagerly awaiting more Terra Firma...)

Garner - Thank you so much. Ah, you noticed the 'sly jabs' then? Very intentional, but I tried to bury them in the narrative so they didn't seem too out of place. And the character of John would still have thought them regardless of certain events. I'm glad you liked John, but I doubt I'll ever have time to write non-W/T stories around him. And I wish I could have included more of Giles, but the story wouldn't let me. I was already worried that the introduction of Henry would be an intrusion, even though I needed him to force a quicker journey to Sunnydale. And thanks a lot for nudging others in my story's direction. Much appreciated.

Bobos Mom, WiccansIllusion, jomarch - Glad you liked it. Posting a first fic is quite nerve-wracking, but the feedback makes it all worthwhile.

Loco2 - Hi again Steph, and thank you. I'm glad your brain is rested, there are so many great fics here at the moment to dive into. And happy holidays!

WebWarlock - What can I say but Thanks So Much. Yes, I was hesitant at first about using first-person narrative, but it was the only way I could say what needed to be said. And I knew you, if anyone, would get it (if you read it.) Yes, it's me, you, everyone here who feels what we do for the girls. ME have done what they've done, but it doesn't end there. It will never end there. And I would be honoured beyond measure if you choose to use a quote from me as your sig.

I think it's time for me to reinstate my own sig, that got lost when I opened a global account. Just one word, but it means everything to me.

--------------------------------

Always.........

Post subject: Re: indebted
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 9:47 pm 
Kathleen - Sorry, must have just missed you in the last round of feedback.

High praise indeed from one of the famed Rainbow Writers! I thank you and everyone else who has given such a great response to a hesitant first effort. I hope I don't disappoint with any future stories that fall from my ageing head!

Always.........

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 10:34 pm 
just got a chance to read this story. i enjoyed it a lot, you did a good job in reuniting W/T after everything that had happened.

Dude, we're surrounded by perverts!

Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

Watching TV shows doesn't create psychos...Canceling TV shows does

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 8:14 pm 
Not intentionally bumping! It looks like the feedback has probably come to an end now, so I'll ask Xita to move this to the completed fics archive.

Just need to say Thanks Grimaldi, glad you enjoyed it.

And thanks Web Warlock! I've seen the new sig, and I'm suitably humbled and honoured.

See you around.

Always.........

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 9:05 pm 
My pleasure Mike.

Hey, could you email me? I have two requests that I want to talk to you about.

web.warlock@attbi.com"> web.warlock@attbi.com

Thanks so much!

Warlock

-----

Web Warlock

The Other Side, home of Liber Mysterium: The Netbook of Witches and Warlocks

Oh Tara... What monsters are they that think you could deserve this? Who judged you, and said "No more?" I can't let it end here. I won't. - Endless, Mike of the Nancy Tribe

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 1:59 pm 
Marion believed The Goddess was giving Willow and Tara a chance to be together again. So glad she helped John. And John, bless him. He willingly paid the price to see them reunited.

This was a truly wonderful story, Mike. Well done.

And on a completely different note, I like that you spelled Marion the way you did, because its my name.

Adding up the total of a love that's true, multiply life by the power of two
Indigo Girls

Post subject: Re: Endless
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 10:35 pm 
Mike,

I thought the jabs were definitely well woven into the story and something that John would be feeling and thinking, so they flowed well, if a bit tongue in cheek at the same time.

I also did not think that Henry was an intrusion or an unwelcome additon. His role was one that helped ground the story in the real world and make it not all insubstantial. Balance is important in all things and his presence adds that to your story. I wouldn't worry about his inclusion at all.

However, there was one part that did throw me for a little loop, sort of jarred me as it were. I really thought that when John was draining Henry, that he went all the way and did kill him. That was how the description struck me, and later when I found out he was still breathing it was a bit of a shock. I thought he was dead! Not a huge deal, but I sort of liked it better with John going that far, showing the edges of his darker past and personality. Still, not a big deal either way.

I do hope that you write something more in the future!

Garner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 8:15 pm 
Oh well I just finished this, and I got caught up, i think we all feel a bit like John. Their love is an inspiration and a force that is unmatched. Your writing is very intimite made it easy to just get into the story! thanks!

- - - - - - - - - - - -

"Oooh Xita!" - Amber Benson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 8:31 pm 
BEAUTIFUL!! Just Beautiful!! This was a WONDERFUL fic, I really enjoyed reading it!! So Thanku Mike 4 writing such a great w/t fic!! :)

"W-well, I-I was wondering, maybe, you would wanna go out sometime? For coffee ... food ... kisses and gay love?" - Willow (Normal Again)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 10:52 pm 
mollyig - Glad you stuck with it to the end, and thanks. Love the name Marion, myself. (Definitely not the other spelling though, too Robin Hoody!)

Garner - Whoops! Reading back again, I see what you mean about thinking John had killed Henry. What was in my mind clearly didn't make its way onto the page properly. Mea culpa. But I'm pleased to hear the episode didn't jar too much.

xita - Thanks very much. Glad you liked it. "Your writing is very intimate...." I like that!

MissQuirky - My pleasure. And I'm happy it was yours too.

Always.........

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 6:19 am 
this was so incredibly good. sigh. i'm all teary eyed and wishing something like this were possible. i loved how john gave his life for tara, he understood their love even though he'd never really known it. the more i think about how perfect willow and tara were the more i hate ME and their silly views on drama is. love and loving is drama enough for me. i'm glad you brought her back and i wouldn't mind a sequel. lol...

"She has magic fingers." Then, as though the words had just echoed back to her and sounded not at all right, she perked up and glanced around at the others. "On the keyboard." Tara, The Wisdom Of War...

Post subject: Re: ...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 6:19 pm 
Oops how could I have missed this, luckily Rane was singing its praises in Camp Flutie today.

What an amazing story, I loved the character of John that you created. The pain and feelings of Willow. And the worries of Tara's soul in Willow as well. I liked how Tara's soul went to her...and their reunion at the end *sigh* all so perfect.

Anyway it was really wonderful and I do hope you write more one day soon :)

-----------------------
You know, it's a real deal relationship and that's why people can relate to it
Amber Benson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:50 pm 
Rane - Thank you sooo much. And mentioning my fic in your own thread too! That's above and beyond, and so sweet. Oh I'm with you, I wish what John did was possible too. I'd do it in a heartbeat. But sorry, no sequel. I really don't think it would work - but thanks for wanting it.

Puff - Thank you too. Somehow, I couldn't imagine Tara's soul being anywhere else but with her Willow. And she will always be, for me, the only one who could bring Willow back from the abyss. To hell with Xander and his bloody crayons.

And just so's you know - I've started a new story. Totally different from Endless, but I hope you'll enjoy it just as much. Only a few hundred words so far, but I hope the first part will be up in a week or so. I'm a very slow writer, I'm afraid!

--Mike.

Always.........

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 12:02 am 
Ooh, ooh. Mike, I may have to paint my toes a new color in celebration of this fic. Right now they are kind of a coppery shell color, but I have lots of others. What color does the new fic feel like to you?

-Juli

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 10:45 pm 
Hmm. How about something in a Willow-eye green, and maybe a little sparkly? That's how the first scene of the new fic feels to me at the moment. Light, (hopefully) funny, and a bit quirky. Here's a teaser for you: it's episode one, there's no Xander, Tara loves computers, and 16 year old Willow has a new role in life. Oh, and it's an AU fic that may just go on and on and on...

But I'm sure I'll love your toes whatever colour!

--Mike.

Always.........

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 2:36 am 
Oh, Mike ... this was ... gorgeous.

I actually finished it awhile back, but hadn't had time to reply ... but I wanted to let you know I really enjoyed this story. The overall tone of it, and the voice of the narrator, were so perfect for the issues you dealt with here ... it was incredibly moving, and I'm so very glad you wrote it.

Thank you.

-Sass

I Think The Hellmouth Tastes Like Chicken -- Autumn

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next