The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sidestep - Third Chronicle (new part 09/13/11)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:21 am 
23. Volumey Text

Topics: 5
SMGOVAN - I think I gave Tara enough superpowers. And yeah, this is hard for her but if its the only way she has (without lots of delaying research) then I gave her really no other choice... Thanks.

edob - Puissant :) Yeah. see... because I am a brit I tend to write like Giles speaks anyway. So every so often I have to put a word like that in. How many did you manage? :) Cheers

Kajun - Okay, you are clearly the snot expert :)

I'm very pleased if this is working for you on many levels, definitely not planned by me :)

I wouldn't get hung up on what would be 'left' in Tara. It wouldn't be anything more than would have been 'left' in Willow in terms of her physical nature. (The memory thing would be a whole different deal) It's a marker, as you say... But yes, still ick. The insight into Willow is a good point though.

Curious what it is you think the Gile's won;'t like though (you and tour theory!)

Thanks all

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*
-------------------------

Post subject: Re: Sidestep - Third Chronicle (new part 09/13/11)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:23 am 
23. Volumey Text

Title: The Sidestep Chronicles: Third Chronicle (Part 18 (260))
Author: Katharyn Rosser
Feedback: Constructive criticism is always welcome. Flames just demonstrate you have a tiny mind.
Spoiler warning: I’m really not going to bother after all this time except to say that this fic will totally spoil my own Sidestep: First Chronicle and Second Chronicle which can be found in the Completed Fics archive (A-M)
Distribution: This story was written for Pens. Pens is its home. No archiving off Different Coloured Pens and the Kitten Board please. (This applies to all my stories, fics and particularly to Sidestep Chronicle as a whole.)
Summary: Willow continues her journey, but with a new guide.
Disclaimer: I don’t own any of the copyrights or anything else associated with BTVS. All rights lie with the production company, writers etc. I am making no money from this series of stories however all original characters and situations remain my property.
Rating: The earlier Chronicles of Sidestep were much darker and I slapped a blanket R rating on them for occasional content. This series is lighter in tone caution is only recommended for occasional scenes. However to understand absolutely everything that went before you’d have to have read the first two fully so…
Couples: Tara and Willow forever. Rupert and Jenny are also together. Nothing else referred to.
Text convention: We’re occasionally dealing with some deaf characters here and that has to be addressed. Speech inside asterisks is spoken in sign language only. Occasionally people responding to signed speech may do so inside speech marks, which indicates that they are also verbalising as well. Occasionally I might make a mistake and get this wrong but when dealing with a character that only signs, take it as read that they’re doing so when they “speak.”
Notes: I deliberated about the price Ethan extracts for being Willow’s guide in this part. Ultimately I didn’t like doing it, but the man is a mercenary and if there’s something he can get out of finding her, he will. Also it’s necessary to set up the threat that Willow faces from everyone else in the Halls. So I went with this and this is as ‘bad’ as it gets. I also decided that I’d very much make it clear that what he gets from it is absolutely not… well, you’ll see.
Thanks to: Anyone out there reading, I know there must be some more of you due to page views :)

So, here she was, Ira Rosenberg’s daughter, following a man in a bad shirt through the Halls of the Dead.

Ethan Rayne.

Of all the people there could be who fitted the criteria of ‘better than her last guide’ he had to be the one?

On the other hand, he’d just saved her life – admittedly without putting himself out too much – and at least now she understood what her guide was saying. Toto had talked almost as much as Ethan and the chittering had been cute and all, but obviously designed to lull her into a false sense of security.

Mister Rayne… she wasn’t sure what he was doing yet. Or why.

“So you’re dead?” she asked again, after getting an earlier answer that hadn’t actually been very clear. Too… English.

“As the proverbial dodo,” he said, almost sounding cheerful about it. Almost.

“And you’re aware of that?”

“I refer you to answer one,” Ethan said, still with some humour but evidently a decreasing amount of patience.

“Well, yes.” It had been something of a stupid question being as he’d just told her about it. But she’d run across a singular lack of the dead here in what were supposed to be their Halls. Hello, did anyone know the meaning of ‘eponymous’? “But – where is everyone? And by ‘everyone’ I mean everyone that I expected to find here.”

“Don’t worry yourself,” he said. “The teeming dead will be all around us soon enough.”

“So what were you doing - ” she broke off to duck under a low arch that had probably been made with beings like Toto in mind. And that was another thing. Who had made this place? Or had it just sprang into existence fully formed in a moment of creation or universal order? “What were you doing out there?”

“Well, that’s a little difficult to explain. I was in the area but if they’re close enough… If we’re close enough… we are aware of the living,” he said.

“You know that I’m alive then?” she asked, happy enough to confirm what had seemed important to keep quiet now that he’d already said it.

“Oh yes. You… shine. Perhaps more radiant in life here than - ”

“Your shirt?”

“Oh, very good. The very definition of wit.”

“Thank you.”

“It wasn’t a compliment. Though I was going to say more radiant in life here than you ever were in the real world. Don’t worry, it’s not something that shines out across all of the Hall, but if you’re in the vicinity then the presence of the living can be very obvious to those of us who are - what’s the word…? Than those of us who are challenged in that regard.”

Something to bear in mind. Once she was into the Halls proper – amongst what he’d called ‘the teeming dead’ - then… she was going to attract attention. If he was telling the truth. More to the point there were a significant number of people and creatures here whose attention she really didn’t want.

“How’s the wife?” he asked suddenly.

“Wife?”

“Tara?”

“Yes – I mean, I know who she is – but how do you know she’s my wife?” Willow asked.

“The wedding ring, for one thing – ‘band’ I suppose you’d call it as an American,” he said. “You know, it has a radiance of it’s own – at least to me. I see the emotion tied up in it, the power. And there was very little chance that the lawyers were wrong about you and Miss Maclay. They wanted the two of you together because you were a cosmic certainty. Something they could shape nearly anything else around. I hardly think you’ll have split up now you’re free of the life.”

All pretty elementary deduction, she supposed. But the idea of Ethan Rayne asking about Tara – even when he was dead – filled her with something less than satisfaction.

“So how is she?”

Telling him anything about them seemed like a bad idea, but turning her mind to Tara never was. Especially when she was… very far away.

“You’re right,” she said. “We’re out of the life – we [were out of the life.” It was one of those same lawyers who’d forced her back into it and though there were some things about it she had missed… this sort of thing wasn’t one.

Nor his shirts, on reflection.

“But here you are anyway,” he said. “In the Halls of the Dead and you all alive and everything… That takes some doing except… Ah, yes. That would work.”

He’d figured it out then. Or had he? Maybe he’d thought of something else, something she might be able to use later? “What would?”

“You were a vampire once, brought back by those same lawyers. That would probably be enough to allow you access the Halls, though I hear it’s hardly the only way.”

“What?” There was another way that someone could get down here? Pass through that portal? If so then… why had Toni told her she was the only one who could? Did she know? Had she asked?

Did Toni even care?

“Well, I hear that the ritual that brought you back – alive and with a soul – is a costly one and isn’t performed lightly. In fact you’re the only person I’ve heard of in my lifetime. But we’ve had a few visitors here, living ones, since I crossed over.”

“Why?”

“Everyone’s looking for something,” he said. “Including you, I take it? This isn’t a social call… You haven’t come to see your old friend, Ethan? Hmm?”

She ignored that part of the question. Knowledge was still power and he had far too much advantage over her already, knowing about this place and what happened here. He understood the rituals that had brought her here too and much more besides. Give him the last piece and who knew what could happen?

“What happens to them?” she asked. “The living?”

“They come. Some of them leave,” he shrugged.

“Some?”

“Death is a very real thing here, Willow – may I call you Willow?” he said. “Very immediate. In this place… the body errs on the side of giving up, rather than fighting for life. The spirit understands that it’s almost home and that deprives the body of it’s combative nature. Some of the people who come here find what they’re looking for and leave. More leave empty handed, but by far the most never leave at all.”

Willow was pretty sure that this was the moment, in every good cartoon or movie, that the heroine went ‘gulp.’ And so you could die here…

“What happens to them?”

“Some run into the natives,” he said. “Like the Naranje you took a shine to.”

“I’d never seen a demon like that before. Or the little one.”

“No,” he said, shaking his head as they walked. “You’re mistaken. There weren’t two demons. They were one demon. The little one is like… have you ever seen those fish, the one’s that dangle something out in front of them to bring other, smaller fish closer to them? Keeping very still?”

“Angler fish?”

“That’s the biscuit. Well, the little one you called Toto was just the bait.”

“And I was the little fish.”

“There you go,” he said, beaming at her like Tara might one of her youngest charges when they got something right. “Got it in one.”

“Good to know my place,” she said. “And it feeds off the living who come here?”

“Would these parts of the Halls be so empty if that was it?” Ethan asked.

“I don’t know, would they?”

He laughed. “That was just a baby. This is all mothers’ place. We’re told that she took up residence and stripped a lot of the dead of their existence – at least until they were fully digested. The living are rather like caviar to them, after a diet of cheese and crackers.”

“What happens to the dead when they die?”

“Still dead,” he said.

“But what happens?”

“What happens to the living when they die?” he said, gesturing around the place. “It’s just one of those questions. But you’ll find that the dead hold onto that state for grim… well, grim death actually.”

“What happened to you though?” she asked.

“I died.”

“In the real world,” she said, feeling she had to check.

“Oh yes. Peacefully and in my sleep, I’m pretty sure it was like that. I was a rather old man by then. Time has passed since we last met, you know?”

He looked even younger now than he had when she’d first known him. So… you appeared here as what? How you wanted to be? How others saw you? So many questions she’d not got time to ask.

“Are you real?” she asked.

“You mean am I substantial?”

“I know you’re not substantial,” she said, pleased with the zinger. “Why would death change that? But are you real? Are you solid?”

He hadn’t touched her yet, which was something she appreciated. But even during the attack of the Naranje he hadn’t touched her. Not during, not even to help her up as many men of good manners would. Could he interact with her, physically? More importantly could she make physical contact with anyone else here?

“Have a feel?” he offered.

“No!”

“You asked.”

That was true, but the way he’d offered her confirmation… Ugh.

“Well, okay…” she reached out and touched his shirt. It was there, it seemed solid, but silk wasn’t exactly the best test. She prodded a little harder, making contact with his skin. Yes, he was solid. There was flesh and muscle and bone there. This wasn’t a ghost.

Just a dirty old man pretending that he was enjoying that touch immensely.

Except… “You’re not pretending, are you?”

“Got me,” he said. “The touch of the living… it’s a special treat for us. I’d heard about it – but my gods… Do it again.”

“I’m not here to fulfil your fantasies about being touched,” she said, pretty much disgusted simply because it was Ethan Rayne and she knew all about him from Rupert and Tara. That and her own experiences with him.

“Do it again,” he said. “Touch my bare skin and I’ll help you.”

“And if I don’t…?”

“Willow, please. I don’t want to play games with you. But I will tell everyone I meet that there’s a living woman here. Some of them are probably into different kinds of touching than I’d be satisfied with.”

“Fine,” she said and grasped his wrist.

It did nothing for her one way or the other, but certainly seemed to be good for him. Opening her awareness, she could see what he meant. The energy of her living flesh, surrounding his wrist. Melting into him and spreading through him.

Fortunately for them both it didn’t seem – even through her third eye – to be sexual or remotely orgasmic, yes, she knew what that looked like, but there was a wave of emotion and pleasure that rippled out from his wrist and all through his body. Kind of like Portia when she was satisfied and purring while sat on them – but much, much stronger.

“Don’t suppose you have a cigarette do you?” he asked at least thirty seconds after she’d released her grip. Until then his eyes had been closed.

“Don’t be disgusting,” Willow replied, at least aware that he was only such things to provoke a reaction.

“Says the woman covered in Naranje, pre-digestive slime.”

Yeah, that. It was pretty gross.

“Where are we going?” she asked.

“What you have to understand, Willow, is that the Halls aren’t all… well this. There’s a world out there – all populated by the dead. I suppose this place might be someone’s idea of what Hell was supposed to be, though it’s really not fire, brimstone and torment. There are places that some people probably call heaven too – from the living human point of view. The reality here is… more flexible than it is in your world.”

Your world.

“So what decides where you go?” Willow asked.

“How far you’re willing to walk, I suppose. There’s not much by way of public transport. Not even a ferryman.”

“So why wouldn’t you go somewhere better than this?” she asked.

“Why would I go somewhere worse?”

“So you just accept where you are? Your lot in… death?”

He drew breath, though she wondered if he really needed to? “I don’t know, actually. I quite like it here, it seems to be where most people come – at least to start with and it is the place that most of the passages down from the living worlds come out. You pretty much know where you are around here. Out there… it’s a wild world.

“Or so I hear.”

“And here is where you can get someone living to touch you?” she wondered, not at all sure whether doing that was better or worse than the slime. Whatever, it was a close run thing.

“Now that I know,” he agreed. “Don’t feel bad, plenty of women have felt worse about themselves in the morning than you do right now and it genuinely wasn’t that kind of… sensation.”

That was a comforting thought, but all she’d done was grabbed his wrist. He hadn’t touched her or made her feel anything. “I know, if it had been… I’d have probably fried you by now,” she replied. “So where are we going?”

“The centre,” he said. “The centre of this place. We’ll be passing through the dead – lots of them – and you need to keep your hands to yourself. We can’t stop them seeing you, but don’t let them touch you or they’ll never stop touching you – at least unless they tear you apart trying to keep you for themselves.”

“Doesn’t sound like it’s a great idea to go there,” she said, not relishing the sound of that.

“You’re here to find… well, someone?”

She was forced to nod; it was about all there was here. Pretending it was a vacation spot wasn’t likely to be very convincing.

“And being as it isn’t me, the chances are this is where you’ll find them – if they went beyond the caverns then… you could spend eternity trying to find them. Walking – or running – is as fast as anyone moves here.”

Okay, so that was real and practical advice that she could use. That was what she needed to know. The important thing was that he didn’t find out she intended to take anyone back with her because she had to imagine that was going to be just as fatal for her chances of getting through here as those dead people getting to touch her and feel the life would be.

Surely if he – or the rest – thought she could return any of them to the real world… They’d never let her go.

The small matter of not being sure how she was going to do that didn’t alter the danger.

“There it is,” he said.

She realised that the gradual increase in noise, the change in the conditions had crept up on her. But the transition from open, deserted space to bustling hive of dead things was literally like stepping off a cliff.

They were stood on the edge of a bowl, a city sized bowl at least as large as the chamber she’d lost sight of already. Lights and doorways were built into the walls; the bottom was a sea of people and… buildings. What use did the dead have for buildings? Or had they already been here?

“Oh my.”

“Quite my reaction, I assure you. Don’t suppose you’d fancy brushing up against me for leading you here?”

She stuck her tongue out at him.

“Or that will do nicely,” he confirmed, which made her put it away and feel… just unclean. Remember, he’s just trying to get a reaction. He didn’t feel that way. You didn’t either… he’s an asshole. Remember that.

At the centre of the bowl – at least it looked like the centre from here – rose a vast… well, it must’ve been a mountain by anyone’s standards. Certainly a very large hill that someone had sliced the top off. Kind of like Table mountain in appearance, she supposed, but topped with buildings.

Topped with some sort of hybrid of a temple, a fortress and… something alien and demonic. Maybe just a demons idea of what a temple and a fortress hybrid should look like. Or perhaps it was the local Wal-Mart. Could be, since she had no better idea.

“Where’s the way down?” she asked.

“You want to think about this, Willow Rosenberg,” he warned. “You heard what I said before. They’ll recognise you for what you are, probably. And if you brush up, skin to skin against the dead and they’ll find you out in an instant. That place is like any other city, tough to move around in and crowded.”

“I don’t have much choice,” Willow said. “I have to find… the person I came to find. And it’s Rosenberg-Maclay thank you, that’s why I have a marriage licence. I haven’t been plain old Rosenberg for a long time.”

“Bit of a mouthful, but very egalitarian of you. I guess I shouldn’t ask who wears the trousers in your house?”

She ignored it. “Where. Is. The way. Down?”

He held up his hands. “All right, all right. But we can’t go through the city. We can take the bridge over to the citadel.”

“Why?” Willow asked, instantly suspicious. It was Ethan Rayne after all.

“You do good things for me and I rather thought you might hold my hand as we went.”

“Pervert.”

“I don’t know what you’re complaining about, you’re rather older than most women I’ve ever held hands with.”

Willow sighed. He had a point though. Whatever was in the citadel it was bound to be easier to deal with than moving through the city. Down there… the people were like ants. Smaller than ants actually, a sea of… bacteria. Tiny, miniscule and impossible to see individually.

He was right, she wouldn’t last two minutes in that.

“What happened to you, Ethan?” she asked, curiosity getting the better of her. “Really in your sleep?”

“I died. Simple really, not unexpected in the circumstances. Years of hard living, having rather more fun than my old pal Ripper. How is the old man anyway?”

“A father several times over,” Willow said. Ethan couldn’t do anything to him now.

“Good for him. That’s the only thing I missed out on I think, having children. Everything else I wanted to do with my life, I did.”

“And children are the very essence of chaos,” Willow agreed, recalling his preferences in deities.

“I hadn’t looked at it that way, though now that I think about it – I rarely do – the chances that there isn’t a little Ethan or Ethanette running around somewhere are rather slim.” He seemed altogether too smug about that.

“Like I said,” Willow turned on him. “You’re a pervert.”

“A healthy appetite for all things in life,” he replied. “Holding oneself back, living by other people’s rules? Its for the birds. So… hold my hand Willow Rosenberg-Maclay, or we’re going nowhere.”

“I can find a bridge,” she said. “I’m not holding your hand.”

“I suppose you can find it, but can you cross it?”

Annoyed, she ignored his offer of a hand to hold and slapped it instead – giving him some contact but at least she had the satisfaction of hitting him. Then she tried to ignore the deliberately provocative sounds he made as they walked. Between Ethan’s pretence of what a touch did to him and the Naranje goop, scrubbing just wasn’t going to be enough.

Maybe… amputation.

Chance in *Chance*

Post subject: Re: Sidestep - Third Chronicle (new part 09/17/11)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:52 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 1
Katharyn, I think this update is probably my favorite so far in SS3. Life glowing in the Halls and a touch from the living creating a nearly euphoric feeling for the undead are very interesting concepts. I wonder if Tara’s glow and effect on the dead would be more powerful given that she is untainted with the marker of being “previously dead” like Willow. So.. after possession by Eyghon the marker left behind would likely make her, basically, equal to Willow in that respect? I really enjoyed the banter between Willow and Ethan. His naughty touching taunts were creepy but I never took it as a serious threat. Ethan is evil, no doubt, but I never got the rapist vibe from him. There is still a real danger of him attempting to murder or cause other physical/emotional harm to Willow though. She managed to gain some useful tidbits without giving away much in return. It was like a sneaky interrogation --Go Willow :grin Awesome update!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:36 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Well thank you, kajun. I have to be honest, I was a little worried by this part for that creepiness. Enough that I had to edit it last minute to make uber-sure that the reader knew - in reality - Ethan wasn't getting that off Willow at all (though his provocation was a little more typical of him)

I think anywhere other than Kitten I'd have written that differently. I'd have let it look like it was sexual and then let people find out the truth later. But - gloriously - you can't do that here because we already care about the girls/ladies so much. It's a good thing to have characters that a writer doesn't have to make the reader care about :)

Not sure where that life euphoria came from actually because - when I think about it - 'life' in the Halls of the Dead for the already-dead isn't a million miles from 'life' in our world. They aren't all moping around etc... but I think perhaps I needed some differentiation.

I may have to edit the word 'marker' into future parts to refer to the whole Eyghon thing now we're using it :)

You're absolutely right about Ethan, he's the sort of man - for me - likes to shock. To be unexpected and chaotic. Oh, and he likes women. He likes women, a lot. And not inappropriately. His problem is more that come the next morning, he's likely to be nowhere to be found...

Glad you enjoyed it, thanks.

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:04 am 
4. Extra Flamey

great update, thank you :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:41 am 
23. Volumey Text

Thank you edob - your post was a useful reminder I was supposed to be putting one up today :)

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:43 am 
23. Volumey Text

Title: The Sidestep Chronicles: Third Chronicle (Part 19 (261))
Feedback: Constructive criticism is always welcome. Flames just demonstrate you have a tiny mind.
Spoiler warning: I’m really not going to bother after all this time except to say that this fic will totally spoil my own Sidestep: First Chronicle and Second Chronicle which can be found in the Completed Fics archive (A-M)
Distribution: This story was written for Pens. Pens is its home. No archiving off Different Coloured Pens and the Kitten Board please. (This applies to all my stories, fics and particularly to Sidestep Chronicle as a whole.)
Summary: Tara explores her route into the Halls…
Disclaimer: I don’t own any of the copyrights or anything else associated with BTVS. All rights lie with the production company, writers etc. I am making no money from this series of stories however all original characters and situations remain my property.
Rating: The earlier Chronicles of Sidestep were much darker and I slapped a blanket R rating on them for occasional content. This series is lighter in tone caution is only recommended for occasional scenes. However to understand absolutely everything that went before you’d have to have read the first two fully so…
Couples: Tara and Willow forever. Rupert and Jenny are also together. Nothing else referred to.
Text convention: We’re occasionally dealing with some deaf characters here and that has to be addressed. Speech inside asterisks is spoken in sign language only. Occasionally people responding to signed speech may do so inside speech marks, which indicates that they are also verbalising as well. Occasionally I might make a mistake and get this wrong but when dealing with a character that only signs, take it as read that they’re doing so when they “speak.”
Notes: You must’ve guessed that this was coming once I started talking about Hellmouths and given where I left things at the end of Second Chronicle. Like any good ‘final episode’ you have to tour the characters you have left and see where they are. But this has a real plot reason behind that… Two words at the very start to tell you who it is ?
Thanks to: To the writers who inspire me.

“Well, gosh.”

Tara found herself smiling. Just like always. Even though there were so many things that were wrong about this situation that she was sure no one would’ve thought any the less of her if she’d been weeping and begging someone to just make it stop.

She didn’t do weepy very often and certainly wasn’t the down-on-her-knees type either. Though, there was one specific on-her-knees circumstance that she was doing her very best to bring back. After pulling this stunt though… Willow was going to be feeling and showing her guilt for a looong time.

“Hi,” she said. At her advice – and with no argument - Jenny and Rupert had hung back from entering the chamber.

“I’m pretty sure it’s not that day yet,” the giant snake said in its alien/familiar tones. The air in the chamber rippled almost visibly when it spoke, a vast chest cavity - never intended for the purpose - forming the words.

“No, Sir,” Tara replied. “It’s not that day yet.”

“And you brought guests?” it asked, swirling around the rocky chamber that it occupied, passing in front of the Giles’ then returning to face her. She had the impression that if she hadn’t been here it might simply have gulped them down and worried about their motivation for visiting later.

Voice low, but certainly not low enough to remain unheard by the guests, “Unless you brought someone to be… disposed of?” A complex, alien/human snake eye the size of her head winked at her.

He knew better than that, but being a giant, demonic snake hadn’t hampered his sense of humour. The fact that he knew better didn’t mean that if she’d done anything but deny his suggestion then he’d probably have devoured them on the spot.

A shake of the head seemed appropriate then. Just to make sure. “You remember the Giles’, Sir? Rupert and Jenny.”

Richard Wilkins III, the former Mayor of Sunnydale, swirled around the chamber that was his home as well as being – not coincidentally – the physical manifestation of the ‘mouthy’ part of the Hellmouth.

Sunnydale.

A small town that was shockingly well served with flights and other public transportation links, a legacy of his time in office when deals had been made to bring all sorts of business – legitimate or otherwise – into the suburbs. Deals that were evidently still in force.

Usually she came back no more than once a year, at least to see him here. There wasn’t much left for them now. Visiting Willow’s father - before he’d retired out East had used to bring her back a little more often - but she still came at least once a year. Just to see this ‘man.’

She owed him a lot. She and Willow both did. The scales might well have been balanced by what she’d eventually allowed him to do – become the giant snake demon - but here was the proof that the ends sometimes justified the means.

Almost.

The Sunnydale Hellmouth had been all but closed, prevented from allowing some of the most powerful entities from the multitudes of other sides to come into this world. When people wrote ‘Here be dragons’ on maps, it hadn’t been guess work. Giant demons of unimaginable power that had come through portals just like this. The evidence was all there when you knew what books to read.

Not any more though. At least not here.

And what was left, that could come through the much reduced Hellmouth, were dealt with by a perpetually hungry snake with a penchant for public service to the town he’d founded more than a century ago.

So yes, just a man.

“Ah. The Giles’, of course. I never saw you with these eyes.” He surged around one more time. She knew that was an indication of some excitement, relief from tedium he often felt in this place.

Well, either that or his predatory instinct… both looked much the same but it always seemed impossible that he didn’t tie himself in knots.

“A pleasure sir and dear lady. Welcome back to Sunnydale, the best little town in California, if I do say so myself.”

Tara looked back at her friends. Faced with a demon that believed in impeccable manners – and whom they needed the help of – they were forced to be polite in return. Even though they didn’t like it.

They hadn’t liked it back at their place.

They hadn’t liked it at the airport.

They hadn’t liked it during the flight.

They hadn’t liked it in the cab on the way here.

They just didn’t like it.

Fine. There were plenty of things she didn’t like about this plan too – like the part where she deliberately got herself possessed - and it wasn’t this that caused her any concern. This was the easy bit.

Because Tara knew she could trust the creature she still thought of as the Mayor to do what she asked without reservation or trickery. Very likely he wouldn’t even ask her ‘why?’ That was the depth of their relationship. They’d both done things they regretted the necessity of.

What she’d done had helped him ascend and what he’d done had helped her get Willow back – as well as freeing them from the sense of duty that had kept them here, fighting what emerged from or was drawn to this Hellmouth they were stood on top of only because he controlled it.

If there had to be a demonic possession, the only one she’d have trusted to do it would’ve been him. She wouldn’t have liked it, but she’d have trusted him to vacate the ‘premises’ afterwards. Eyghon… not so much.

Unfortunately she didn’t have room for a giant snake possession, her hips just weren’t that big.

“Ah, quite,” Rupert replied, taking the lead.

That was probably for the best, Jenny was a little more volatile and if riled might yet unleash on the Mayor. That could turn out to be… unfortunate, since the now ascended demon was a little more prone to volatility himself. Tara had seen him literally snap – or bite – the head off some demon supplicants who’d inadvertently insulted this town while begging to be allowed to worship him.

He was, despite his roots, a very American demon. Worship didn’t sit well with him. Even with his background as a politician.

“The stick’s in the usual place,” the Mayor said to Tara. Just a gentle reminder.

First things first, she supposed. In this one way it was like visiting an elderly relative who couldn’t quite do things for himself…

Tara was – he assured her – the only being who managed to scratch the places that he couldn’t reach for himself. She wasn’t sure about that – he could contort his body in all sorts of ways and rub himself up against the rocky walls without much trouble.

So actually she thought that he just liked the attention. She didn’t visit enough for anything else to be case. Was she really supposed to believe he’d itched for a year and not torn this place down around him in frustration?

All the same, she picked up the stick – which had once been a spear belonging to something that had tried to come through the Hellmouth – and used it to scratch at the place behind his head while he writhed in apparent relieved ecstasy. Just like he’d been sitting on that itch since the last time she’d been here.

Maybe he was that patient, which was a strangely scary thought.

“There,” she said after several minutes. He sagged in disappointment, as usual, but there was something else that they had to get to.

“This can’t be a social visit, Tara,” he said. “You hardly ever even bring that wife of yours – let alone other members of the family.”

It pleased her that he reflected her own feelings about the Giles’, but she’d never admitted why Willow didn’t come with her often.

Tara’s wife didn’t like the Hellmouth, or the caverns under Sunnydale. They held bad memories for her. It wasn’t actually anything personal against the Mayor. She hadn’t carried a grudge from the war that the Master – and the vampire Willow – had fought against the man.

It was more that Willow had no real feelings about him either way and she had as much trouble hiding that ambivalence as she did excitement in other circumstances.

“No, it’s not,” she agreed, making a mental note that she’d still have to come back for that social visit later in the year. “I – we – need to go through the Hellmouth.”

“No.”

“Sir, we need to go through there.”

“Not without telling me why, you don’t. Hellmouths and portals aren’t to be travelled lightly and I’m sure you already know that.”

So much for assuming he might not even ask. He was agitated and in a giant snake that could’ve swallowed the biggest anaconda the world had ever seen like a piece of spaghetti, that wasn’t a desirable state of mind.

“Willow’s on the other side,” Tara said. She didn’t know a better way to cut through it.

He sucked in his breath, which was one of those sounds she’d had to come to understand through being in his presence. It made Rupert and Jenny jump back like they were about to be attacked though, because it just sounded so predatory.

“There are too many ‘other sides’ for you to search,” he said.

“We know where she is.”

“Oh?”

“The Halls of the Dead,” Tara revealed.

“Ahh,” he rumbled. “That place.”

“You know it?” Rupert asked.

“There are places, librarian, that exist simply because they are necessary. The Halls of the Dead are one of those places.”

“But you know it?” Jenny pressed.

“Yes. But none of you can get there.”

“Willow got there - ”

“Because she’d been a dead thing, brought back – assuming that she wasn’t… no, you’d be distraught if that was the case,” he said. “Your wife and I have something in common I’d never considered, Tara.”

“I’ll be sure to let her know.”

A thought was occurring to her, they needed to be possessed by a demon to gain the ‘taint’ that would take them across the threshold of the Halls? He couldn’t be the one to possess her, but here was a powerful ally that could surely cross the threshold and help them out.

He seemed to be sharing her thoughts. “I can’t go with you either, Tara,” he said. “If that’s what you were going to ask.”

“No,” she said, even though she might’ve done given a few more seconds to think about it. “That’s not what we came here for.” She’d learned not to debate his decisions back when he was human. There was simply no point to it.

“The Hellmouth – this town – is more important. Even than helping you. Anything else I can do for you though – you know you only have to ask.”

“We want access to the Halls, through the Hellmouth,” she said. She couldn’t be disappointed. Time was passing. Willow was still alive, she knew that much but she had no sense of her wife other than that.

It was… different now she was on the other side. Disquieting in the lack of awareness of Willow she had when usually – if she put her mind to it – she could judge Willow’s mood from half a continent away. It only illustrated how blessed they’d been up to this point, how she’d been taking it for granted.

“Unless you’ve been holding out on me, you can’t cross over, Tara. You’re one hundred percent alive,” he said.

“We… we have a plan for that,” she said, glancing back at the Giles’.

“Oh?”

Rupert and Jenny rolled up their sleeves, revealing similar tattoos. Well healed, inked into their skin a long time ago. Tara did the same and also pulled back a sterile bandage. The skin was raw; weeping a little blood but the design was obvious and matched theirs.

“Now, Tara, you know how I feel about tattoos.”

She nodded, though she had to admit she’d not considered his feelings when she was getting it done. That had been their only other stop today and the tattoo artist had been a bit put out when she asked for a recommendation on where to get it removed before he was even done inking it. “Fine for aboriginal peoples, but not something that the young of this society should be indulging in?” she asked, quoting him.

“Exactly,” he said, brightly. “I think that was my High School graduation speech in… what, two thousand and one?”

“Probably,” she said. “I just read it for you, I wasn’t there.”

“And now you run a school.” The giant head turned to the Giles’. “She’s a principal. Isn’t it wonderful?”

The Giles’ both nodded and made positive noises.

“They used to work at the school,” she said. “They know I’m the principal.”

“Tara – now can’t I be proud of something you did, considering you just indulged yourself in some ritual scarring?” the Mayor asked. “I’m trying my hardest here not to be overly judgemental. You always tell me about that, well, I’m gosh-darned trying.”

“It’ll come right off in a few treatments,” she explained, which seemed to help. And yeah, there’d be as much pain to having it removed as getting it done.

“Well, see that it does. Cover that up, Tara. Before you get an infection. Germs are… well, down here I’m really unable to control them despite my attendants best efforts. You two, let me see.” He leaned a lot closer to Rupert and Jenny’s arms as she covered her own tattoo up again. It didn’t have to be visible – she’d been told – it just had to exist.

His breath was rustling her friends clothes as he examined the tattoo. They were obviously nervous beings so close to him, but the reason was simply that his eyes worked differently now that he was a demonic snake. He was a predator as well as massive. Seeing things that size meant he had to get really close in.

“Hmm. I could be mistaken, but isn’t that the mark of Eyghon?”

“Yes, yes it is.”

“Came through town a few years ago?” the Mayor checked.

“Ah, yes.”

“Causing trouble?” There was a faint tone of accusation there.

“Yes, actually. But we banished it.”

“You said ‘destroyed’ at the time,” Jenny added, riling her husband once again.

“You can’t destroy Eyghon,” the Mayor answered. “Banish is about as good as you can manage. You know, if I’d known you’d summoned Eyghon, I’d have been much less sanguine about you hanging around with my Tara.”

Tara smiled, as if he’d had much to do with it. Between Eyghon’s visit – which she hadn’t even been here for – and ‘hanging around’ with the Giles’ there’d been the small matter of Rupert (on behalf of the Watchers) wanting her killed. That had concerned him a little more, she was sure.

“Yes, sorry about that. Youthful indiscretion,” Rupert explained.

“Better than smoking though,” the Mayor said.

Tara glared at him. She didn’t want him admitting he’d done that too. In fact the old Rupert Giles had… well, turned out that he’d been inventing youthful indiscretions because the usual ones weren’t keeping him occupied enough. Eyghon had just been one of those.

“Ah, yes. Filthy habit,” Rupert said.

“Filthy,” Jenny reiterated, though she was still very occasionally known to step outside and join a small coterie of social smokers at a bar or a restaurant. She thought she hid it – especially from their kids – but everyone knew.

“So, you’re going to summon Eyghon and have it possess Tara?” the Mayor concluded.

“That was the intention, Sir,” Tara answered for them, wanting to demonstrate it was her decision – if not her preferred choice.

“I assume you know how dangerous that will be? And that once you bring Eyghon back, once it has a entry point to this plane, you won’t be able to keep it out again without banishing it?”

“We’re aware of the risks,” Rupert said.

“Well then, what do you need from me?” the Mayor asked. “Candles? Incense? I think I have some around here somewhere. My cleaners… they’re a little religious. They leave those sort of things lying around. I don’t hold with all that new age stuff myself, even when it’s the new age of apocalypse they’re praying for, but ritual is ritual and I wouldn’t be the man I am today without observing a few of those.”

“Ah,” Rupert said. “That would be helpful, thank you.”

“Wait a moment,” Jenny said. “Just like that? You say you care for Tara and you’re just going to let that happen.”

Tara groaned, but no one heard her. In a flash Wilkins surged all around the cavern, the air rushing past them. This was what agitation did. Then his head pressed right up to Jenny. His eye reflected her entire head. Tara held her breath, ready to act if she had to but unsure what she’d actually be able to do that would have much of an impact. He wasn’t just a giant snake.

“You have no idea,” the Mayor said. “How much I care for Tara.” Then he subsided a little. “But I know her well enough to understand what her woman means to her, what they are to each other. Even I can’t stand in the way of fate, and you made your decisions long before you arrived here. Don’t expect me to provide the drama. If you have reservations, Mrs Girls then you express them yourself.”

Then the giant snake turned his attention back to her and winked. Yeah, he still had a sense of humour.

“You really want to do this?” he asked.

“Sir, I’d be happy if you could tell me another way. Really happy.”

He paused, considered her request. “There are others, but this is the simplest, quickest and no more dangerous than the others. Do you want me to kill Eyghon for you, when you cast it out?”

“I thought you couldn’t kill a demon like that,” Jenny asked suspiciously.

“Semantics. Kill. Banish. It’s all the same in the end. Removal from this plane via my digestive tract is as valid as waving your hands around and saying the right words.” He almost sounded… hopeful.

“It might actually make the creature behave,” Tara said to the others. “Having him here?”

“More likely it’s just going to tick her off,” Rupert – the voice of Eyghon experience – replied.

“I see what you mean.” Demons of different species didn’t usually get along.

“As if she didn’t hate you enough though?” Jenny suggested to her husband.

“She?” Tara asked. They’d referred to it that way a few times, but not consistently.

“Eyghon came to us having possessed Dierdre,” Rupert said. “Then…”

“Then there was me,” Jenny said. “So she. As in bitch. As in I want this bitch gone. Soon as possible. If the Mayor can help with that…”

“Believe me,” Tara told her. “I want it – her – gone too.”

What she really wanted was to get past all of this. All of this was just finding the key to the gate. On the other side that gate was a maze, in which was Willow. And though she was confident that she could always find her wife, just how close they’d be and how long that would take – while they existed in that place of dead things – was something she couldn’t be so confident about.

She knew Willow was alive, she felt that. There was nothing that could’ve convinced her otherwise, but their long established connection had never been so… dull. It was the absence of more now that showed her what she’d really sensed before. When Willow had been up, that had been something she’d known. Down or scared, ditto. It was – she supposed – what helped make love - in all its manifestations - very special.

But now? All she knew was that Willow was alive. What she was missing… it was almost painful, in addition to the worry.

Alive was good enough. It had to be. Good enough that she could even push aside everything she’d been told about the source of her magic. Everything her father had believed she’d be… Dangerous. Needing control.

Well, he’d been right about one thing, she had been dangerous when she came of age. Just for other reasons.

She was ready to be dangerous again so she turned to Rupert. “Let’s not waste any more time. What do we have to do?”

Chance in *Chance*

Post subject: Re: Sidestep - Third Chronicle (new part 09/21/11)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:51 am 
5. Willowhand

Topics: 2
Dibs!

Well dang, she went through with getting the tat, I love tattoos (have 14 myself) but I would not want that one. Still it shows her love and devotion to Willow, willing to do anything for her.

But what I find funny, is the Mayor is alive, as a snake guarding the hellmouth. He is so polite I was laughing hard, but to see him call Tara "my Tara" that was very odd, and I rather just hear Willow say that instead of some demon.

Great Job!

:kdevil :kgeek
AstronSoul

A Proposal Plan, A Star's Second Chance
Finey_McFine's Fan club http://finey-mcfinefanclub.webs.com/

"Pulse and Cocoon can rot for all I care. If I don't figure out our Focus soon... Vanille's gonna be a Cie'th. I'll tear down the sky if it'll save her" ~ Oerba Yun Fang FF13
http://www.astronsoulfanfictions.com/
http://astronsoulfanfic.tripod.com/twilight/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:17 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Tara tatted up? hmmmmmmm...don't like it! Just goes to show the lengths she will go to in order to save her woman. I loved the Mayor. He has the perfect blend of politeness and brutal savagery. Jenny needs to pump her brakes a little bit. It wouldnt be wise to piss off the gigantic anaconda!

ps. I loved the last update as well. Ethan's pervyness was well....ewwwwwww. But, it made me laugh because it was obvious he was only doing it to get a rise out of Willow.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:03 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Katharyn, I feel less anxious for Tara now that Mr. Smiley Snake is preparing for a little demon snack. As much as I love Giles and Jenny, I have more faith in the former Mayor’s ability to protect Tara, at least, in this particular situation. The itchy/scratchy scene was especially funny. Jenny’s entire head reflecting in one eye shows how truly massive he became after ascending. Nice job with the descriptions! It was kinda sweet the way he was upset Tara got a tattoo. The semi-surprise here was that he didn’t just gobble Jenny up right on the spot. Obviously he knew Tara would be pissed, otherwise.. Jenny would have seen Willow much sooner than anyone anticipated. Yikes. Not too swift a move to question his feelings for Tara. But.. it’s a tense situation so her nerves are on edge. Tara is staying reasonably cool and rational thinking –so far-- thank goodness. Great chapter.. ready for another!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:36 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Okay... I never really thought too much about Tara and the tattoo. It wasn't something that ever really bothered me when I was writing it and was more of a story point than anything else. But... wow, you guys really took it as one of the key parts LOL. Always fun when that happens. And no, I'm not tatt'd myself, nor is anyone I have reason to know all of the skin of *cough* so its not that. I just... didn't much about it :)

Of course, this isn't a good tat to have. But do you imagine that I'm not going to tie off that thread? Everything should be tied off in this...

Astronsoul - Wowser... 14? Not for me, but I can appreciate it actually... can look good.

The Mayor, yeah - that was where Sidestep 2 left him. All the guy wanted was to be a giant snake protecting his town. I mean, did we hear any other motive in the canon either? Nuhuh, never a mention of what he was going to do... And I do tend to like how he turned out. The Tara/Mayor relationship is very much modeled on the canon Faith/Mayor relationship and I like to think that if Faith hadn't disappointed him, stayed onside, he'd have been very much like this with her.

(note to self, stop referring to characters with the same name as other characters...) LOL

Thanks

SMGOVAN - See above for my thoughts on the tat situation... but I like your version of it. Yes, it is a sign of devotion... I think, in reality, Jenny would've been more circumspect but there's a certain story telling requirement to draw his character out (especially for people who did not read Sidestep 2) and so one character has to step up and rile him. Of the three, there's no one better than Jenny for that.

Ethan's purvyness... hold onto that thought. That's precisely what he's doing and he will keep on doing. What he gets out of it as a sensation isn't pervy anyway, but its tough to convey that in a climate where as readers and writers we live in a world where a 'touch' is necessarily a bad thing... Also, Willow is hardly helpless. If she thought he was truly being pervy then she'd either go her own way or... well, fry him :)

Thanks

Kajun - Tara needs protecting? :) You have to have noticed that she's my a) favourite of the girls and b) pretty much a Mary Sue character these days since I removed all her self-doubt and guilt. But yeah, the Mayor is a nice edge to have onside.

You liked my descriptions? Thank you. I usually don't bother enough with them! When I get them in there it's something I am seeing really clearly (or just think is cool)

I can't see the Mayor would ever approve of a tattoo. He always seemed to me to be a very old time type patriarch, more suited to 50's small town America (though he's older than that) that we see in movies etc. Certainly that's how I tend to write him. You know, if he was a 50's small town patriarch who was a giant snake.

And was he ever going to gobble Jenny? LOL Doubtful, I like her too much (though I do have form for killing characters I like)

As for Tara's staying cool... I really can't see past that with Tara. It is... her. I had her lash out at Toni and see how that ended up. I think she'd learn that lesson and remember it (whereas in role reversal Willow would have be all fire and brimstone.)

Thanks so much. Next part tomorrow or Saturday. I need to do the final read through of the next part before posting it.

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:08 am 
23. Volumey Text

Title: The Sidestep Chronicles: Third Chronicle (Part 20 (262))
Summary: Willow gets inside the citadel.
Notes: This part went through some changes as I decided in the last Willow part that – not even through extortion – did I want her holding Ethan’s hand. It just seemed… pervy. So here she’s slapping him instead. Now that I think about it, that almost seems worse but only if you let your mind go there. Put yourself in Willow’s place. Like we said before, he’s not getting anything from it ‘that way’.
Thanks to: The person who reminded me Lesbian Gay Type Women In Love was out there (one of my other occasional fic threads) and thus motivated me to have some fun in a different T&W story (fun I’ve been having this morning)

“I’m tired of walking,” Willow said, feeling just a little childish. But they had been walking for miles already. What? No one here could’ve invented the car? It was for absolute certain that there were people who knew how to build one.

“Well,” Ethan replied, “There’s not much choice here. Some, but not much. Occasionally someone accumulates a little power and get’s carried around in a sedan chair, there’s a little of riding people like ponies but…”

“What was that you said?” Something about that had been… what…? Ponies?

“I said that you’re not likely to end up with that kind of power any time soon – but on the other hand,” he looked at hers significantly, “in exchange for a little contact with one of the living…. Maybe you could be?”

“No,” she corrected, batting his hand away again – and not coincidentally giving him a flash of what he wanted from her. She got to turn down the request to hold his hand and he got a brief second of what he wanted. Seemed… fair. But she had something else on her mind now. “Not that! Before. About ponies.”

“Some people are willing to be ridden, like ponies. You know though, that’s one fetish I never really experimented with. It’s probably too late now though. I’d guess you just couldn’t get the horse hair here to make a good job of it.”

Willow wouldn’t even slap the back of his hand for that, much to his obvious disappointment. He’d insisted on at least that much contact with one of the living every thirty minutes and it’d been pretty much a day now that she’d been on her feet. Perhaps the dead didn’t get tired in the same way she did but… something about what he’d said definitely… it stuck in her mind? Ponies? Really?

People did that sort of thing?

No, that wasn’t it… People were people. They did all sorts of things, but it sounded kind of familiar the first time, but then it hadn’t once he’d started going on about fetishes... Maybe it was nothing

“You’re right,” she said. “It’s too late. And also, not something I’m looking for. Not to ride, or be ridden.”

“I’m sure your good lady wife wouldn’t agree.”

Willow chose not to dignify that with any kind of answer. Some guys – and women to be fair – you just knew their minds were at work when you mentioned (or they knew) you were a velvet tipper. But some others… you could actually see it at work. Ethan Rayne was one of the latter group. Of course his beliefs – in the gods of chaos – didn’t lend itself to hiding his thoughts and feelings. Chaos practically demanded that they were out there.

“Does it ever get dark here?” she asked.

“You’re in a giant cave,” he said. “Under a mountain that makes anything from our world look like… an anthill in comparison. I’m sure there’s some sort of day and night out there, in the other places, but I’ve never seen it. Why?”

“I could do with a good night’s sleep.”

“Couldn’t we all,” he said. “Unfortunately, that’s not something we’re blessed with here.”

“You don’t sleep?”

“I never have…”

“Isn’t that? I don’t know, some kind of hell?” Along with coffee and Tara – not in that order – sleep was one of the three most important things in her life. The fact that she could do it with Tara just made it all the more blessed in a way that coffee just couldn’t compare with. That experiment with drinking coffee off Tara had… not been a good idea. Fun with food, sure. Fun with beverages? Not so much. It just never came out of the sheets.

“Things are different here,” he explained. “You don’t feel it as anything but emotional connection to what you used to do. I suppose it’d still feel good, but its not actually necessary.”

“Says you,” she said. “I’d still miss it.”

“Perhaps. But see there – the bridge.”

They’d been walking for so much of the day, able to see it off in the distance for so long that she hadn’t really appreciated how close they were getting. “At last. And over there…”

“There’ll be somewhere you can take a bit of a rest,” he promised.

“Good.”

“So…I’ve brought you all this way,” he said.

“No. The deal was that you had to get me over the bridge,” she pointed out. Holding his hand at all, for any reason…. Umm no.

“I can’t hardly hold your hand once we’re in there,” he said. “That would be a dead giveaway, if you’ll pardon the pun.” Noticing her distaste he continued. “Look, you’re the one still covered in dried mucus, not me. And, if I didn’t know your tastes and your good lady wife, I’d have suggested something more intense and short lived but since I do know...”

“Now I really don’t want to hold your hand,” she said. And yeah, that slime wasn’t even flaking off now it was dried.

“One last moment, a few minutes,” he asked, almost begging. “I might never have this chance again.”

“Why?”

“Because once you’re in there you probably won’t need me. And I did save your life, didn’t I?”

“That excuse ran out about five hours ago,” Willow told him. How many slaps had that been?

“Worth a try though, wasn’t it?”

“Were you like this with your girlfriends?” she wondered.

He pondered that for a moment. “No, I didn’t really stick around for five hours. Not often anyway. Certainly not twice.”

Willow shook her head and gave him the satisfaction just one more time. Despite his earlier pretence, if she’d felt it’d been a remotely sexual thing then she’d never have considered it because… eww. But since it was some sort of living/dead energy thing… Yeah. To get where she was going. On her terms. And besides, she always walked to Tara’s left and so she offered him the other hand.

Just in case.

Palm up though, as if offering it to be read by a fortune teller. It may have been amongst his talents, she supposed. Surprised he looked at her, wondering if she was going to psych him and snatch it away – which was really, really tempting. But he’d brought her this far and there was nothing to this but allowing him a glimpse of the world he’d left. Part of the sensation of life.

He took her hand in exactly the spirit in which it was offered, cradling it his own and – for the very first time – Willow thought she’d found something this man truly valued and was thankful for as it rested between both of his. Not holding, just… there.

All the same she made no secret of checking her watch and pulling her hand away at end of the agreed time.

He didn’t object though, accepting the payment that he’d wanted.

“Thank you.”

“That’s all?” she wondered after watching him stand silently that way, not a trace of what he was feeling passing over his face.

“That’s all.”

“Sometimes, you manage to surprise me,” she said. After all the fake responses to get a rise from her that had been remarkably… civilised.

“Sometimes I surprise even myself.”

Willow groaned, it wasn’t the time to start quoting old movies. But with his payment taken care of, he seemed perfectly happy to move on – no longer complaining about her not being willing to do one the simple thing he’d asked for from the start.

Maybe, if she’d known he wouldn’t be gross and disgusting about it, she might’ve taken care of that sooner. And let that be a lesson to him.

As they neared the bridge they came across more of the people and beings that existed here. Humans, demons and things that she couldn’t tell about but just felt… off. Supposedly… “I thought you said - ” She shut her mouth when they passed too close to a pair of the already-dead who might’ve overheard what she was about to say.

If anything, all of these beings stayed away from her. They didn’t come close to touching her, even though Ethan had already shown that he could tell she was alive from several paces away. If anything these seemed to be avoiding her? Which was… Why the hell didn’t everyone want to hold her hand?

Her hand was very holdable. People in the know had commented on its holdability.

And the other things she could do with it.

Fortunately these ‘people’ didn’t seem to want to. But despite the fact they just walked on by she and Ethan, she still had the feeling that they were watching her all the same. Paranoia?

“Rayne,” one of the guards at the end of the bridge said, stepping into Ethan’s path. Willow was just trying to stay out of his way and so was a little behind the warlock. As little scrutiny as possible was what she was all about right now. Especially since they had guards. No one had mentioned guards. Guards hadn’t been on the agenda but here they were all the same. Her guide had neglected to fill her in on the guards. But, evidently, Ethan was going to try and get them past regardless. He’d known they were here and there had to be something up there that was worth guarding.

And if Ethan managed it, he’d probably want to be able to hold her hand again…

“Good to be back,” Ethan said cheerily. It was the sort of tone she’d heard from him before. The one where he didn’t expect to get away with it and was cheerfully resigned to getting beaten up, but actually that was all within the scope of his plans anyway. Or maybe that was just how he talked?

The guard wasn’t fooled by Ethan’s friendliness though and leaned around him to look at her. Willow, not certain what else to do, waved. “Hi.”

“Oh – I’m sorry. Very sorry – you may pass, of course” the guard said and stepped aside, almost tripping over his own feet.

Not wanting to doubt how easy that had been, she didn’t say anything right away. Not until they were well onto the bridge which was easily a mile long and yet supported by nothing but chains. Not until she could no longer hear the apologies which had been… profuse.

“Umm, that was easy,” Willow said finally.

“Ah, a lot of it is ceremonial,” he explained. “Did you see the armour? Totally useless really, except to look intimidating and colour coordinated.”

That might explain it. Perhaps someone at the citadel just had an inflated opinion of their own importance. “He didn’t seem too happy to see you though,” she pointed out. “In fact it didn’t look like he was going to let you cross the bridge at all.”

“Well, how did you feel when you saw me?”

“Point taken,” Willow said. “What – I mean, why do – why do people have jobs here? How do they get paid? I mean – you’re all dead.”

“Back where we came from,” Ethan said, “dead is dead. Dead is gone. Here… dead is just the way things are. There are different needs, different requirements. But it’s still a civilisation of sorts and that means that people are free to specialise. You could, I suppose, just wander aimlessly but… it’d be a hard life. Besides, you have to do something to pass the time.”

“So they work?”

“Yes.”

“Do you?”

He nodded.

“What do you do?”

“What did I always do?” he asked, scratching at his arm.

“Cause trouble,” she said. “Stop scratching, it’ll drop off.”

“What?”

“Your arm, if you keep scratching it’ll drop off,” she said, realising that it was pure reflex to say such a thing. She was around the kids from the school so much that… Were there going to be kids here too? That was an uncomfortable thought even if it was eminently logical.

If Ethan appeared to be in his ‘prime’ rather than he must’ve looked when he died, then what about the children who’d never had a prime?

“It’s just something we say,” she told him, waving it off.

“Perhaps if you were to scratch it for me?”

“No. No more. And I’m definitely not scratching you.”

“Then by all means, let’s keep going so I can get back to someone who appreciates me.”

Willow laughed. The very genuine moment when he’d truly appreciated the touch of a living person, freely given, was behind them now. He was back to his old self. At least until the next time.

They continued across the bridge and it afforded her a grand view of the city below. The buildings were low – at least compared to this vast island of rock – but this wasn’t a New York or a Shanghai skyline. No, this was more like… It was a simpler place. The buildings were tightly packed but not that high at all.

She asked him questions as they went, things like if you didn’t need sleep then why did you need a house and if they weren’t houses - as such - then what were they? Perhaps it wasn’t what she’d been expecting but it seemed pretty clear that most of the answers boiled down to the fact that here – like other places – there were the weak and the powerful. An economy of sorts not based on currency but rather on trading what they had for what someone else had.

And thinking of what she hadn’t had… what about food? Did the dead need food? No. So was there any food? Because she wasn’t dead and it’d become an issue. Right now she was just tired and hungry. Eventually she’d be starving and after a few days that would be literal.

There was some, he’d insisted. How it got here, being as he’d confirmed nothing grew or aged here so you couldn’t plant or raise anything, she didn’t know yet. Traders from other realms perhaps? Food sounded to be one of those pleasures that he missed, along with sleep and the touch of the living. Things he’d told her suggested she wasn’t the only living person to come here but she had the impression it hadn’t happened for a while.

For all that the Halls of the Dead certainly weren’t Dante’s Inferno, it was getting worse and worse in the telling, and she’d said so. He disagreed; hell would be feeling hungry forever and not getting any food. This was simply the lack of food or the need for it. A continual emptiness and a memory of what satiation had once been.

To her this didn’t sound like a bad place, but it wasn’t what she’d expected either. Those who were here, in these caverns… It struck her that they were the cowards or just the ones who weren’t mentally equipped to venture beyond them. ‘Life’ here sounded like a drearier version of the life back home, without the distractions – good or bad. But out there, in the rest of this world? Places that were much, much better?

He thought… and he’d warned her about the places that were worse too.

She could see how this place might seem attractive to some people though. If everyone came here when they arrived then it was a place to find those who’d come before you or to wait for those who’d follow. And the ‘life’ would be a comfortable reminder of what most people had already known. A house. A job. Trading was no different than going down to the store… right? Yes, she could see how and why people might stay here for a long time rather than take a chance beyond. People today weren’t as equipped to go outside… well, anywhere. At least not people from her part of the world.

Twenty minutes after they started across the bridge they reached the other side, so yes, it was more than a mile across the cavern. Once there they were challenged by another guard, a few more people. Both groups let her pass, with Ethan, even though most of those ‘civilians’ appeared to be functionaries. Different genders, species and ethnicities but essentially… the local civil servants?

If so then she guessed that she was entering a place of non-government since that was probably the way things didn’t work here too. It was more like death was… just a change of status. Of place too.

Heaven and hell? According to an unreliable observer those were concepts that had nothing to do with this place, but she could easily imagine that far from being ‘neutral’ this cavern – at least – might serve as either of those concepts

It all came down to perspective but what didn’t? The life you’d already lived would colour how you saw this one.

Good and evil – apparently – had nothing to do with coming here either. Those who’d lived virtuous or blameless lives found themselves here alongside the wicked.

Willow wasn’t stupid enough to believe that the good wouldn’t continue to be good and the wicked would continue to be… well, the other.

Ethan was scratching his arm again and she slapped it away, regretting it when he brightened considerably. “Perhaps if you’d just stroke it?” he asked, lacing it with plenty of double entendre. Where, oh where was the man who’d had a contented moment being allowed to cradle her hand in his?

“In your dreams. Are we there yet?” she asked.

The inside of the temple/palace/fortress was… cool. And not in a hip and trendy way. It was a vast pile of finely sculpted stone with individual pieces in the main walls that would’ve left the pyramid builders scratching their heads. This was a realm that reeked of magic though. A place where it was common and easy, there’d barely been any strain at all in manipulating the fire that had driven off the Naranje, for all that she’d been worried it might not work at all.

She could imagine that for those more gifted in lifting and carrying through the power of the mind there would be a considerable saving in what building this sort of place would’ve cost back in her world, back where things like weight still had a cost – physically or magically. Here, she wasn’t sure how to describe it but it felt like… well, it was like the magical ‘gravity’ was lower. Surely that had to be how this place was built? It would be impossible otherwise. Wouldn’t it?

Unless you had something like an unlimited slave labour force of beings that didn’t feel as deeply as the living and didn’t need feeding...

No, that wasn’t a comfortable thought at all, even if it was deep in the past.

Ordinarily she’d have just let that curiosity have its way and asked someone, but things here were far from ordinary. The stricture to avoid too much contact or scrutiny by the dead made sense to her.

The problem was that finding Toni’s Dad without speaking to someone else…? Or did she have to rely on Ethan and hold his hand to get the job done? Not an attractive prospect, but she’d done worse much things over the years.

“We’re almost there,” he said. “Then I’m sure you’ll be able to sit down and have a rest.”

Thank the Goddess. He might’ve been dead and somewhat immune to fatigue and the aches of a mortal body but she certainly wasn’t. Her legs, especially her calves and feet, were killing. She’d been walking, descending and generally on them for hours and hours now.

She could at least be polite though. He’d brought her here, albeit in return for a few moments of energy from the living, and he hadn’t had to do that at all. Being the only person she knew here – not technically true but the only one she’d met – she needed some sort of ally, or at least someone she could predict and make sure of. “Listen, Ethan - ”

She’d intended to thank him for that, but then she stopped.

There were all sorts of reasons for that lapse into silence.

The place they’d come to had probably once been beautiful. She’d still not actually identified any of the light sources in this realm, but here that light still streamed through the vast crystal dome that topped the whole place. Patterns of light from above blended with that cast from the flaming torches that were littered around the chamber.

Candles too. Lots and lots of candles. More candles than she’d ever seen in one place and all of them burning brightly, by the time any one person could’ve lit all of them the first ones might well have burned out.

It ruined the effect of the dome, which was intended – she was sure – to light the place.

That wasn’t the only cosmetic change that took away from the beauty of the architecture.

Blood.

There was blood everywhere. And the source was pretty obvious. Here and then bodies – living bodies, or at least animated dead ones – were arranged like… decorations.

She’d seen this before. She knew this.

She remembered it all too clearly. She’d… taken part in it. Inflicted these tortures.

And the reason the spectacle matched her memories was just as obvious. Even at a distance she knew who it was that up on the throne at the centre of the chamber, under the heart of the dome where – high above – there was a small hole in the crystal roof.

She knew what and who that was. The knowledge itched behind her eyes. And there was another pressure there too.

Terrible certainty.

It was impossible… But it wasn’t.

Before she could do anything else, there was a caress down her arm. Pissed enough at Ethan for bringing her here and now he thought he could steal that touch from her? Willow stared at her arm as a thin line of blood welled from it. She whirled and saw that it hadn’t been Ethan at all.

It was a very familiar sight, though one she hadn’t seen for a while.

A very familiar voice too.

“Hello pretty.”

Chance in *Chance*

Post subject: Re: Sidestep - Third Chronicle (new part 09/23/11)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:27 am 
5. Willowhand

Topics: 2
DIBS!

Ok I am so not liking the Halls of the Dead, creepy (and I like creepy). Ethan of course explains things and tries to get whatever contact he can by being himself. Gotta give it to him, explaining the whole riding people like ponies was great.

I can imagine Willow looking at the scene after she crossed over, gut turning remembering who and what did it. But seriously I got skin crawlers at the very end reading, "Hello pretty."

I can't wait for the next update!

:kdevil :kgeek

AstronSoul

A Proposal Plan, A Star's Second Chance
Finey_McFine's Fan club http://finey-mcfinefanclub.webs.com/

"Pulse and Cocoon can rot for all I care. If I don't figure out our Focus soon... Vanille's gonna be a Cie'th. I'll tear down the sky if it'll save her" ~ Oerba Yun Fang FF13
http://www.astronsoulfanfictions.com/
http://astronsoulfanfic.tripod.com/twilight/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:02 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Hi Katharyn, Okay… so the Guard mistook Willow for VW ergo profusely apologizing. And the avoid-y dead peeps must have “recognized” her too. VW is, as expected, someone to fear and worship in this realm. Things I’m pondering: Ethan gets high and itchy from the touch of a life energy yet this mystery person touching Willow causes her vein(?) to expand and become more visible. From the dialog I’m guessing it’s either Dru or Vamp Willow. (Don't want to assume it's VW :wink) The palm reading mentioned leads me to believe it’s Dru. But.. why would her touch have that effect on Willow? Maybe it has to do with the magical ability to exchange energy and whether it’s given freely. Would the touch from Willow’s dead counterpart result in sucking the life energy from her living self? That’s a scary thought. I’m very interested in how all this works. So… who is this familiar person sneaking up on our girl??? Tell me now! LOL. BTW: with ya on Tara being the fav of the two. And I cannot express how much I appreciate that you always treat both with great respect. You rock!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:56 pm 

Damn, damn, daaaaaaaamn!! The good news, I think Dru is the person that grabs Willow's shoulder (in any other scenario this could hardly constitute good news). The bad news, VW is in the building!!! I was looking forward to and dreading this possibility in equal measure. When Ethan made the remark about 'riding people like ponies ' I knew that meant V.W. was near. Tara is gonna shit bricks when she reaches the underworld. This is gonna be an explosive showdown. If V.M. harms a hair on Willow's head, Tara is gonna go ape shit!!! Hmmmmmmmm... I hope this isnt what W&H was angling for... they can't want that monster back in the real world...or could they?..Things are getting very exciting!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:28 am 
23. Volumey Text

Vamp Willow? Damn!!! Why didn't I think of that....?!

I have to be careful not to say too much or the wrong thing right now so... my responses will be a little briefer.

The concept that Drusilla grabbing Willow's shoulder could ever be a good one is... disturbing, SMGOVAN. I mean, Dru is/was Willow's maker (going back quite some million words or so!) However I will get into the W&H thing. They're a company. They have a debt on the books (though their PoV may be a little different to Tara on that). What do companies do? They collect their debts...

As for things getting exciting, good! :) You'll be pleased to know that the next part is back with Tara so... keep hanging on that cliff. Actually I did my final read through of the next part a few minutes ago and I am really happy with it (this last one I wasn't so much but it seems to have worked out okay.) Thanks

Kajun - You guys aren't privy to some info yet because Willow (and thus the reader) haven't been amongst the 'already-dead' but things will make a little more sense when they have been.

Nothing about veins in that last part, Willow's arm was cut by its nail, more of a paper cut than anything deep. That was what I intended it to be anyway - vein thing kind of cool though! So don't read too much into the effect that the living have on them from that one line...

As for whom it is... Nah.

However hypothetically, if you want to get all scientific about the touch of the living and their dead counterpart... might it destroy the universe? Some sci-fi would say so... (I'm not up to writing that description though!)

As for Tara favouritism... It's curious. Willow is more fun to write, she's quirkier. But Tara - and not just this Tara - is much more the hero character. She's solid, dependable (also adorable) and who doesn't like someone who can be motivated by love but keeping a brain in her head? The thing is that when you make Tara that person (And I love to) there's no choice but to make Willow the flighty, slightly less dependable one. The one who gets into scrapes but - importantly - can usually get herself out of them too. I'd be no happier with a Willow who always had to be rescued (this story not withstanding) by Tara than any female character being rescued by a guy. I never objected so much to gender in adventure stories where your female character was good to scream, look pretty and be stupid as much as I objected to character... Same thing here. I have to treat Willow with some respect (while making her necessarily different to Tara) because I couldn't write her if I didn't.

Also those characteristics are - for me - what makes this Willow who she is. She takes chances (they got her killed - more than once) and that brought her to Tara. She built a business. She reached out to have friends who have every reason to hate her. She does things for her friends - including Toni - that brought her here... but not every threat to the girls can or should come from 'the next big bad to arrive in town' because frankly that stuff just gets boring...

Also (and I did say I was going to be brief didn't I) I am - still - on a mission here to prove to certain nameless people who won't ever read this that you can have a story, with tension and drama but that doesn't mean you have to kill someone. Okay, I did it to Faith, but... that was a long time ago!

Thanks

Astronsoul - Not really supposed to like the Halls, that's the point. Really everyone should be out of there, into the places beyond, rather than lingering here. But why do we keep living places we don't want to? Why do we stay in shitty jobs? Because we're comfortable and safe... and that is what this part of the realm is. Comfortable.

As for the rest... I have to be careful what I say so, for now, just thanks :)

Will probably update again tomorrow.

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:48 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Katharyn, Oh.. I see.. there was actually blood drawn. Yikes! In my defense.. I wouldn’t be much of a conspiracy theorist if I didn’t read more into every little thing! That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. But not in a snot monster way :wink

Agree with you, on the favoritism and characterization stuff. :)

I’m deeply concerned for my fellow kitten hanging on that cliff. Throw her a rope already!! LOL. Oh yes.. Good times are being had!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:26 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

katharyn, thank you for the update :)
hello pretty, my guess is that it is vamp willow caressing willows arm. eek...
if it is vw would this make it the second time that they have met in the halls? in the first chronicle vw remembers meeting her human self in a weird place and hated the memory.
great cliff hanger :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:42 am 
23. Volumey Text

Kajun - Yeah, just a thin line of blood... however I think that the distinction here that is important (bearing in mind what you said before) is that it would only be the nail of the 'toucher' that did that, not the 'finger' and so you could argue that any energy transfer that should/would take place might not have done...

Or maybe it did :)

Could you see VW and/or Dru benefiting from that and then letting go? Hmm... (since those were the prevalent guesses...)

I'm afraid that rope for the kittens over the cliff is a little while off. The next part is Tara and the one after that is Toni... so no Willow for a little while (though the Toni part is shorter and therefore probably a double post) Hold on Kittens!

edob - Good memory. Well, kind of... I'd forgotten that VW memory entirely, but whether you mis-remembered it or I didn't make it clear I don't know... Willow was never in the Halls of the Dead before. Willow - when there was a vampire in her place in the real world - was in a limbo of nothingness. It's part of what affected her mental state when she came out of it.

Also... you'd need to know a little more about the Halls (which you will in a few parts) to know why that still couldn't have happened...

What you're actually referring to is actually something from my first T/W fic 'The Beginnings Cycle'. That was a missing scenes fic set in S4. At least it started out that way. I got self-indulgent and started to write whatever good ideas I had (whether they were good or not) into that, including one from MKF's PoV. *SIGH* Anywho, there was a part of that where I crossed over into the Wishverse. In a very real way it was the first hint of Sidestep and did connect with this series. It was the positive response to that part - even though it was out of place in the story it was in - that persuaded me to start Sidestep (that and the brainwave that gave me the whole First Chronicle plot in a single night)

So... great memory you have :) Thanks for remembering, it's a quality I appreciate because I can't. (Though The Beginnings Cycle was 10 years ago now!!!!)

The next part will be up in a minute and - from a writing point of view - it's one I am really happy with (which means you guys will probably hate it... LOL)

Thanks
Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:45 am 
23. Volumey Text

Title: The Sidestep Chronicles: Third Chronicle (Part 21 (263))
Summary: Tara is possessed.
Notes: Oh yes, after the ending of the last part it’s time to…. Go back to Tara. Well, what did you expect? And oh yes, I am cruel. Also, wow, just realised I had made a number of mistakes around names of previous victims of Eyghon and also how to spell Eyghon… LOL. This is what happens when you write your first draft without an internet connection available.
Thanks to: Wikipedia for having the spelling corrections I needed without being a Spuffy site… ?
Important Note: – In this part a demon is possessing Tara. It makes threats, attempts to make bargains that are not pleasant to read (or write) and suggestions – some of which would be absolutely against FAQ if they were carried out.
It’s a demon. It is evil.
I refuse to pander to the concept that what is evil should play ‘nice’ or you should under-write these things so long as the actual FAQ is not violated in any way, shape or form. That’s the road that the canon went down in creating (more than one) cuddly vampire and personally I blame that for Twilight – a crime against literature if ever there was one (which isn’t to say that people can’t enjoy it – they obviously do - its just soooo badly written but that’s beside the point right now.)
The things that are posited by the demon will not happen, of course, but you can’t write these things ‘nice’ because the demon doesn’t know that. Take note of this warning and skip past such parts if general suggestiveness of that nature will bother you (there’s nothing graphic). I can’t say that plainly enough.

The closer Tara had gotten to the time, the worse the idea had seemed to become.

The Mayor, her friend, was the one who understood the best. Any idiot with a bad idea and the ability to read Latin could get him or herself possessed, but the Mayor was ascended.

He’d not allowed a demon into him but he’d become one. He’d knowingly transferred a part of his self and allowed it to be filled by the demonic nature. Not the same as a possession, but he was the one who knew what it meant to be a demon.

She understood that too.

Yes, the Giles’ had both been possessed by Eyghon for a limited period of time and – down the years – by other demons for even briefer periods, but they’d never lived with it. They’d been struggling against it, fighting for a way out of what had been happening to them.

If Willow had been here she’d certainly have understood, but if Willow had been here then none of this would’ve been necessary. There was no question that she loved her wife, but damn… that woman of hers was just racking up the demerits.

And okay, so the parallels she was drawing weren’t quite real – she hadn’t really been possessed - but she’d grown up knowing it was responsible for the condition of her mother, knowing that it would claim her eventually and that was enough that – from the human side of the equation – she understood it better than most.

Perhaps it was later than Daddy had thought, but maybe he was about to be proved right. And that… It sickened her. The cruel lie that had beaten down generations of her female ancestors was about to be proven true by her own choice…

Would they have to lock here in a room? Strap her down?

The snake formerly known as the Mayor of Sunnydale – Willow had always said he really needed a snappier title than that, maybe just a symbol - was one of very few people in her life who knew about how she’d grown up. It was a part of what had made them close. He’d never hidden what he wanted, what he intended to do or why. Not from her.

She’d been as open with him without him ever demanding it – though he had always been difficult to mislead or lie to. She’d seen people try. He’d usually offered them a mint.

The trouble was that, for all that the Mayor was warning her off doing this, he hadn’t been able to come up with any better option. At least not that was fast and had as great a chance of success. Rituals requiring ingredients that would take her weeks or months to gather…? Not an option.

“Are you ready?” Rupert asked.

“No,” she said with honesty born of snarkiness she thought she was entitled to at this moment. “But there’s no time for anything else.”

There was possibly one thing in the world that would fill her with as much dread as this. Losing Willow. It was that big a deal to her and they just didn’t get it. Rupert had messed around as a kid with this demon. He’d played games which – though now useful – he hadn’t understood. And yes, he’d defeated it. But only after it had infested his the woman who’d be his wife in an attempt on revenge. Yet he still took this more lightly than he would otherwise.

More lightly than he should’ve done.

And for her it was the very opposite. For years she’d fought the demon that she’d always known had been inside her until she’d finally understood there wasn’t one and now… Now she was about to invite one in anyway? It was some sort of sick, cosmic joke.

“If there were any other way…” he said.

“Do it,” she insisted, before she changed her mind. Before she broke and ran.

“Very well, but you have to understand that when Eyghon is within you, you won’t be you. You’ll experience things, sense them and remember them later, but you won’t have control. You’ll feel a rush of power, enhanced sensations – that was very appealing – but you’ll be a passenger. We – Ethan, Phillip, Dierdre and I – took responsibility for each other. It was the only way. We made deals on behalf of each other.”

“I trust you, I trust the three of you,” Tara said, making the number very clear. Three was a number with significance and power. Also, in this matter, the judgement of the Mayor would be somewhere between Rupert’s overly cavalier attitude and Jenny’s natural urge to protect her from all things.

“Then you must give us the power to make decisions for you,” he said.

“I give you the power,” she said. Was that pure symbolism? Or would it matter to the demon? From the Mayor’s reaction she guessed that perhaps there was some real significance to the gesture rather than simply giving confidence to them to deal with it on her behalf.

“Usually we’d bind that with blood,” Rupert explained, “but our history together is certainly such that the ties are as close already.” He glanced at the snake head that was between him and his wife.

“Strong enough,” Mayor Wilkins rasped in that strange, yet familiar voice.

“Do it,” Tara said, agreeing with his assessment. “Do it before I puke.”

Rupert nodded and they took each other’s hands – Rupert and Jenny pressing a hand each onto the flank of the Mayor. The former with a little more trepidation.

“Eyghon, I banished thee to the demon realms and by your mark I summon thee. Come forth.”

Nothing.

They looked at each other, but none of them had expected it to be that simple.

Rupert repeated the words and then added the next line of the ritual.

A further repetition and the addition of another line.

Twelve times he repeated the summoning ritual, every time adding one more part of it until the air was thick with expectation. Tara realised that she was holding her breath and forced herself to let it go.

Except she didn’t.

And then she heard herself speak. Except it wasn’t her. “Rupert Giles. Jenny Calendar. I know you. You banished me. For that alone you should suffer. Why do you call me now?”

“Eyghon,” Rupert said. “You are bound to our will, the will of the four.”

“We’ve been through this before, you and I,” Tara didn’t say. “You know how it turns out.”

“Yes,” Jenny said. “You get your ass kicked back to the demon dimensions and the next time it happens no one will summon you again.”

Tara laughed, but it wasn’t how she ever laughed. Harsher. More cruel than amused. “You told me that before and it’s only been the blink of an eye since I was inside you, knowing you and every lovely pleasure you’ve enjoyed, Jenny Calendar. Everything you’ve wished to experience and I could’ve given you. And this one you’ve brought me… so restrained and yet so passionate. None of you have any idea. Oh yes, I like this one.”

Tara could feel the attention of the demon running through her mind, her memories. Already losing control of her voice, her body, now it was in her mind. It was in the most private parts of her. She wanted to tell them to banish it, get it out of her. But the only one who knew what she wanted was Eyghon itself and it had no intention of passing the message on. Her skin wasn’t even her own to crawl. She was trapped, a passenger inside herself – inside the demon. And it was in her. They were… entwined. Body, mind and soul.

“Eyghon,” the Mayor rumbled.

“I don’t know you,” the demon said, turning her eyes on the snake.

“You are bound,” he said. “You are under our control. The one you inhabit has given us the power of decision-making for her.”

“So boring,” she didn’t say but the voice that wasn’t quite her own came from her mouth anyway. She felt her tongue move. She felt the demon – probably just because she’d thought of it – press it against the tips of her teeth.

Bite.

It was amused to cause her some pain and she couldn’t even wince.

“We want - ”

“You want to banish me,” the demon said. “You want to send me back from whence I came. A fleeting visit just to leave a little of myself behind and to allow this one to cross over to the Halls of the Dead.”

“We want you to do as you’re told,” Rupert said, trying to sound reasonable.

“No,” Eyghon told them. “I think not.”

“You cannot - ”

“I was summoned, now I am here. No trade has been made and you know very well there is always a quid pro quo. I came, therefore I am owed. I have learned my lesson dealing with you before, you should’ve learned the same one. A bargain was struck and you broke its terms. You do not control me, elderly human.”

Tara listened, felt and watched. Horrified but utterly unable to show it. Could this be true? Rupert’s face said… yes. It had some power now it was here, it couldn’t just be sent back.

“Pain. Suffering. Moral outrages. Your morals or… mine? What will it be? What will you offer? What will you accept on her behalf with the power she gave you?”

She was possessed and controlled and they had no control over it? The cruel laughter echoed inside her mind as she silently screamed. Her fear and her anguish, all the things she’d been raised with… It was in her, it knew her. No one and nothing had ever known her like this. Not even… No, it couldn’t feel -

“Or… Mmmm. This one is in love,” Eyghon said through her mouth. “A pure, unadulterated love. A love of power… Perhaps I should… adulterate it? Perhaps that will be my price for what you want. Perhaps it will be what you offer me to prevent my mind turning to other things. Things that might be… worse.”

No.

“That will not happen,” the Mayor said.

“Tell me, she who resides within me, would you prefer a man or a woman? It’s been so long since I’ve done this with a human but there’s hardly a price there is there – for the sensation’s you’d feel to have me with you while it happened. Rupert knows…”

“That will not happen,” Jenny said it this time, her voice tight and not wanting to hear what her husband might have done while possessed by this demon.

The demon chuckled and gestured expensively with hands that no longer belonged to her. “I await your offer then – since undoubtedly you won’t offer a soul and I wouldn’t believe you if you did. You brought me here. I will not simply leave. I’m not dealing with feckless college students now. I’m not here to make an investment in the future.

“You all have things I’d love to take from you, to destroy. Especially this one.” Tara felt her own hands running over her body, lasciviously. “Perhaps an hour, on the street. You might even come into some money.”

It was her internal, silent scream was what made the demon laugh, rather than the reactions of her friends. She didn’t want to give herself away, didn’t want to help it threaten her and all of them, but it was in her… it knew everything that she knew and this…

“She doesn’t fear me. She fears what I am though. What she is while I am within her. While she is within me… She’s been afraid of this her whole life. Oh, it is delicious… She never wanted me as all the others did. She despises me. Fears me. And I already have her…” It laughed again.

It was reading her so clearly. It knew everything she’d been told as a child.

“Curious, no matter what I threaten her with though, her mind always turns to helping the one on the other side. She is desperate to go there, I think. She would do anything. Give anything. Perhaps… even bear me a child?”

That hadn’t entered her mind, but now that it had she was forced to consider it. Reject it. The demon’s silent laughter reflected her discomfort. It was saying these things, putting the thoughts there purely to torture her. That it hurt her friends too was just a bonus.

A wonderful bonus. You shouldn’t fight me, Tara Maclay. We could have so much fun and still get your woman back for you. I promise not to tell. Scouts honour.

A silent offer. A temptation. But yes, it was a demon. It wanted her to make a decision in her pain and her desperation. It preferred that to letting her friends do it for her and just hurting her, unwillingly, wouldn’t have satisfied it at all. Which gave her faith in her friends and caused it to silently curse, backing out of her thoughts to deal with them instead – because she couldn’t tell them that.

“Release her, Eyghon. It’s me that you want.”

“Is it, Rupert Giles?”

“I banished you, smote you back to the realm you came from.”

“So you did, but then I did come here to kill you and your lovely wife. Tell me, Jenny. Have you ever felt any desire… for your friend Tara? I know you so well, of course. All your thoughts and wants up to when we last met. Perhaps a gentle few hours with you would do the trick? You’re so close already… Would that be reasonable enough? Gentle. Safe.”

Twisted and evil.

Jenny remained studiously neutral, not giving it the satisfaction. But it knew her too… Inside and out.

“That will not happen,” the Mayor said. “You will leave as and when we command.”

“We already had this out, ascended one. You could try to banish me while I’m within her, but you might easily tear her apart – perhaps body, perhaps soul. Certainly her mind if you try to dismiss me while no deal has been made. Avon is not calling.

“I am Eyghon, eldest of the corrupters. And I will have my price – one agreeable and one you will not deny me. I will have it in advance this time, no more promising of souls and service to come. If not a pleasure or a corruption then a physical sacrifice? Hmm? For what you ask… nothing less than a hand? I don’t even mind whose it is. A permanent reminder of what you’d give up for your love.”

Tara knew that the demon wanted to make a deal. She could feel it just as it could feel her, though she lacked the understanding of it its mind to go exploring in its knowledge and desires. But she knew enough. It was nervous. Nervous of the beings that had hurt it before and particularly of the ascended Mayor for all its scorn of him. But it wouldn’t be cheated again. It was set on that.

And it’s determination to extract its price grew when it realised that she was reading it. They were prisoners within each other, it seemed.

Someone had to make it an offer; she just hoped it wasn’t Rupert’s fallback position that was all that interested it.

“If you want to possess someone, then let it be me,” her friend offered, just as she’d known and feared he would.

“I think not.”

“What?” Rupert was plainly staggered it would refuse.

“You’re old now, I had you in your prime and tainted you then. Why would I bother? This one gets what she wants simply because I’ve been in her… So you must give me something… better if I’m to leave her. Or I will stay within her for the full seven days and we’ll see what’s left when I’m done.”

Seven days… Willow…

You do not even fear for yourself… but you should.

“You’ve been cheated,” the Mayor said. “By others?”

“Hmm,” Eyghon said and Tara could feel the alien mind whirling. It got nothing from her; she didn’t know where he was going with this. “Go on.”

“So ride her to the other side.”

“It’d be more fun to let someone else ride her,” Eyghon said. “Every witch way… Oh, it’s been centuries since I made a joke.”

“Would it be more fun than getting your claws into Ethan Rayne?”

Tara could tell it hadn’t occurred to the demon before, to pursue it’s debts into the Halls of the Dead. Surely it could’ve just gone, but perhaps it needed something of the living – something that had been alive – to take it there? It was hiding that from her, but – yes - it was interested. More than interested, it couldn’t hold back from the bargain.

“She’s mine until I have Ethan Rayne then,” it said. “An equitable trade.”

“No,” the Mayor said. “Tara Maclay cannot guarantee him to you, cannot participate in it. You can go with her, in her - ”

“She is in me now.”

“Go with her to the Halls of the Dead, then you leave her and you leave her unharmed. Take up your quarrel with the one known as Ethan Rayne and then you will depart – leaving all others unmolested.”

“And unhurt,” Jenny added. “Molested is too lose a word. Plus, you cannot return here, to us and attempt any harm. Besides which, my friend the giant snake will eat you if you do. Not a pleasant way to be banished I’d imagine.”

“No,” the Mayor said. “My digestive system takes simply years.”

“So very restrictive,” Eyghon said, but Tara could feel the urge for it to accept. It wanted Ethan… badly. An itch it hadn’t been able to scratch thus far. Caught by its own deals and rules.

She’d have to live with it’s presence, out of control of her own body, at least as long as it took to get to the halls but… She could get there and that would free her to find Willow. To get her back here, and soon.

“It is the best deal that you will get.”

“Ethan Rayne has cheated me, distracted me from what was mine too many times to escape me again. He took more power and knowledge than the rest of you bothered with while you frolicked and fucked. This time… there is nowhere he can go and all his protections… hmm.”

“So it’s a deal?” Rupert asked.

“A deal.”

Tara’s eyes were taken downwards, to look at the arms of her friends – the tattoo’s curled and writhed their acceptance and then lay still. Beneath the bandage hers would’ve done the same.

Willow… I’m coming.

Chance in *Chance*

Post subject: Re: Sidestep - Third Chronicle (new part 09/25/11)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:04 am 

This just keeps getting better and better! So, it was Eyghon who grabbed Willow in the halls? If so, this is a more preferable option to it being V.W. or crazy ass Dru. Although I did'nt like the demons suggestion of having Tara commit aldultery (especially with Jenny), that part was pretty tame. After reading your important notes, I was a little afraid that I might be traumatized. Thanks for keeping it mild for us sensitive Kittens out here :blush . My poor Tara (in a perfect world she would belong to me!). You really put her feelings of being possessed by a demon into perspective by ranking it up there with the possibility of losing Willow. Again, it just goes to show how much she loves her woman.

So, the next update goes back to Toni? You would'nt happen to have her stepping off a curb and getting hit by a bus would ya? Oh well, a girl can dream can't she? I'll just be here in California, dangling off a cliff, until you decide to put me out of my misery :gnome !!! Another great update. I'm soooooooooo happy you decided to come back. Sidestep Trinity is everything I knew it would be and more :luv .

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:31 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

OMG Katharyn.. Eyghon’s comments, speaking thru Tara, were extra creepy and offensive but.. that is to be expected. He/she is a truly evil entity. Poor Tara :cry getting an up close and overwhelmingly personal insight into demon possession. It makes my heart hurt. The feeling of losing complete control of every aspect of your being would be terrifying. But it is Tara. Whatever doubt, fear and other unwanted thoughts are forced into her mind, she has the strength to banish them. A little help from her soulmate would be nice though. I’m glad no one had to lose a hand –among other things, they need them to sign!

At first I thought Eyghon could only possess if summoned, or someone unconscious, so I was worried how Tara would let Willow know she needed to full on punch Ethan’s lights out. Then again.. Eyghon could use Tara to do that. But, after double checking, Eyghon can also possess someone who is dead –temporarily without proper rituals—so he/she will have an “all you can possess” buffet of dead in the Halls. So will the prospect of this chaos entice Ethan enough to become Eyghon or will he end up a squishy mess on the marble floor? I loved the twist having Eyghon practically salivating over the prospect of getting revenge on/possessing Ethan instead of Giles. You continue to surprise me!

With the creepy mind games, the fingernail drawing blood, familiar voice, WaH.. I still think it’s Dru. :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:15 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Hi Katharyn,

I've been following this story and enjoying the twists and turns of the plot. The stories I usually read tend to be tightly focussed on the Willow/Tara relationship, so it's good to read something with a wider scope. I like the touches of humour from Willow, 'I don't see dead people,' and I particularly liked the exchanges with Ethan. The regular updates are excellent, thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:35 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Waves to Wayland Hi again! Thanks so much for checking in, lovely to know you're still there especially if this isn't your usual type of fic :)

I think you have to slip humour in, even when its not the best time because - to be fair - that is what the canon gave us. It is who these people are. As for Ethan... well he's fun to write, but then I seem to be saying that about all my characters. That's the beauty of this fic for me, its tighter and more focused, shorter than my previous tomes, but also I got to choose exactly who was in it on the basis of understanding whether I liked writing them.

Thanks again.

Kajun - See, there you go doing the research again. Full confession the extent of my research on Eyhgon was 1) how to spell the name and 2) the names of Giles' friends who got killed by it.

I will admit my warning was probably overblown, but you have to say these things when a mod is reading the story LOL. As for the whole possession thing, once I had the idea that this was the route then the nature of that was very clear. It had to be full on, but also the demon had to 'lose'. Yes, it could make her despair etc. It could even have hurt her. But at the end of the day she's doing it for a reason and that reason is enough...

Very interested by what your research turned up though :)

The whole 'Eyghon wants Ethan' thing was something that stood out for me. If I'd made a bargain with him and all he did to get out of it was remove a tattoo, I'd have been p*ssed about too. Especially being as insufferable as he is...

Thanks

SMGOVAN - No, Ehygon isn't in the Halls (yet.) That's no secret since it will be obvious in the next couple of parts. At the moment Ehyghon is just... well, in Tara. Up in the Hellmouth entrance. I had no intention of traumatizing!

(And yes, she's MY Tara too :) )

As for Toni, well... the next part is coming up imminently. It's a shortie, but since it's only a couple of days since the last part I will post it 'alone' and then follow up with *cough* a Tara part... But seriously the part after the part after next - totally Willow!!

I'm glad I'm back too :) Thanks so much.

Thanks all.

Hold onto that cliff evenyone!!

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:39 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Title: The Sidestep Chronicles: Third Chronicle (Part 22 (264))
Summary: An update on Toni and Wolfram and Hart in the light of what is happening…
Notes: Just a short part this time, but its only a day and a bit since the last one! And yes, I’m still not showing you what happened to Willow. Cruel bitch ain’t I? After this part we actually take Tara to the Halls and THEN back to Willow.
There’s a ‘pop culture’ reference in here… to another show. See if you can spot it. There’s no prizes but definite kudos.
Thanks to: People who keep my writing on its toes (and me, by extension!)

*You lied to me.*

“Good morning to you too, Toni. You remember Eric don’t you?”

The demon wasn’t up to signing with the girl – or young woman as she was now. It wasn’t one of his many skills. Holland was philosophical about it, he couldn’t teleport or throw a punch so… things evened out.

Toni was, of course, also referred to as the rising star of Wolfram and Hart in this realm – but he was sure that Eric could intuit a lot from mood and ‘tone’ of the gestures that went into the signing. Then there was more than a touch of the telepathy in the background of his species. Perhaps more of an empathy, but still.

*You lied to me, Holland,* Toni repeated.

“What about?” he chose to leave it open, to allow her to believe that there had been many more lies and – despite the fact that had rarely been his modus operandi internally – the sin of omission was one with which he was much more familiar.

It was omission that was most likely she was referring to and as to the precise subject matter, there was really only one thing happening at the moment that could have much relevance to her and provoked this... intrusion.

*Willow – having to be the one who went to get my Dad.*

“Did I really lie to you?”

*You told me that she had to be the one, you told me that she was the one who had to do this.*

“I don’t think I did” he said mildly. Though he was quite certain she’d taken it that way, simply because it had been his intent for her to get that message. He’d have regarded it as a failure if she’d walked away believing anything else. “Coffee?”

*I don’t want your coffee* Her signing was getting wilder and faster with her agitation. Fast enough that, even after years working with her, he was having trouble keeping up.

“It’s really rather good.”

*Aren’t you going to say anything?* she asked.

“You made an accusation; I told you that you were factually incorrect. I believe it’s your move,” he told her. “Either that or we’re done and I’ll say good day to you?”

*You gave me the way – I paid my dues and you gave me the way. You said the way had to be Willow. Except it didn’t, did it?*

“Your friend Mrs Rosenberg-Maclay is a way,” he said, quite pleased with the pun even if it didn’t translate in sign. He turned to Eric. “A-way, do you see?”

“Very good, Sir.”

Eric was humouring him, of course. But he was an old man and while his mind was sharp enough to appreciate a pun he’d continue to draw attention to them.

*What are you talking about?* Toni asked.

“Sorry, my dear. I forget sometimes how rude that it. Just a little joke, a play on words.”

*You think there’s something funny about this?*

“The situation?” he asked. “Not especially, but my pun was rather good all the same.”

*Holland.* She jabbed her hands at him, showing her frustration.

“Very well,” he said. “Lets have the conversation. You’re what, annoyed that - ”

*Furious,* she corrected. *You - *

“You’re furious that we gave you a way to fulfil our obligations to you that you now don’t approve of, even though it was good enough for you at the time to put your friend into danger. And…?”

*And I could’ve gone myself.*

“Really?”

*I’ve been reading, Holland. Once I knew what to look for – possession by certain classes of demon would have - *

“Whatever makes you think that we’d allow you to be possessed? Even by someone on the payroll?” he asked.

Possession was a two way thing. Certainly it meant that a demon had control of your body – at least intermittently – but there was a sharing of the minds in nearly every case. The interest of those kinds of demons was often in acting against the thoughts or desires of the host. It was the perverse type of pleasure that they gained most of their satisfaction from.

Equally the host was exposed to the horror of an alien mind – not always in terms of what the demon had seen and done, but the simple nature of an inhuman brain trapped the host in a maze.

*I don’t know - *

“You know more than we’d ever permit you to share, it’s part of the reason that we ward you so tightly. It’s been tried before, at various offices. The firm will not accept that kind of security risk.” He kept his signing and expression as reasonable as he felt. Patiently explaining what she already knew if only she’d put her rationality rather than her impatience behind it. *If you’d tried to make a private arrangement… well, you know what internal audit would’ve made of that.”

*Then an employee - *

“The only employees cleared to know what you know – remember you are in Special Projects, Toni – are hardly bothered by your wants and needs, nor by recompense to every employee who does her job.”

*My job?* Toni was obviously aghast, though she just as clearly starting to resign herself to accept what he was saying. *The things I’ve done to get this chance - *

“Were necessary, would’ve happened anyway if you hadn’t been there and – yes – they were your job. You knew that going in. You know that now. You hardly need me to tell you.”

Moral qualms? Yes, he’d had a few.

Everyone did. But, like Toni, you push past it and get on with the job. It got easier, as she’d undoubtedly found. Though now, with a form of climax in the offing, she was weighing those things up in a way he’d never had to.

*I could’ve hired someone, it didn’t have to be - *

“And who, really, is better equipped than Willow Rosenberg-Maclay to do what you need?”

*Tara.*

Quite.

“And don’t you think she’s heading there too?” In fact he was certain of it. Some discrete surveillance revealed just how it was going to happen. Except Toni couldn’t face either Tara Rosenberg-Maclay nor her adoptive parents, not until Willow was home safe and this had all been a bad experience to put behind them. If anything happened to any of them… that would change things for her with her family.

And not in a way that the firm would find necessarily disagreeable.

*She’s going?*

“I don’t think she feels she has any other choice, you put her in quite a hole,” he said. They were, after all, the Two Roses. It had been a long time, but the love there had been a cosmic certainty. That sort of power didn’t fade. This time though the end game for Wolfram and Hart wasn’t tied to betting on that certainty.

*I suppose.*

“So you see,” he said. “Willow will have some help, making her task easier I would hope. They’ll have more chance together, as will you of getting what you want.”

*You still lied to me – even after I tried to renegotiate, you didn’t mention – you lied - *

“By omission,” he admitted. “Perhaps. But those two ladies are in a ledger at this firm, Toni. They owe Wolfram and Hart their services. Having discharged their duty to each other and their town – I’m well aware of how much they did to protect Sunnydale - we were the only one’s who’d been deprived of what was contractually agreed to. Those books have to be balanced and I think, perhaps, you’d have preferred this way to the alternative I mentioned?”

Toni’s hands stayed still.

“Perhaps, Toni, it would’ve been better for us to task them with something more directly beneficial to the firm? Perhaps one of your projects? Would they prefer that? At least this is something they can do for you – not just for us. Or there was always that alternative. We could’ve taken back what was ours.”

Toni visibly blanched at that idea. The firm had contracted the Vocah to return what had been a vampire to it’s mortal self. That same Vocah could – arguably should – have removed her soul and sent it back to that other place after the failure of the contract to be paid off.

She’d seen a copy of the contract. But the Vocah had been paid and was content… until the form said anything to the contrary.

*No* she said, a shake of her head was all that was needed.

“Have some faith in your friends then,” he said. “I’m sure that they’ll come through for you. Those two don’t really know how to do anything else. They’ve overcome bigger obstacles than anything you’ve put in their way now.”

Of course there was the little matter of her relationship to those two women who’d rescued her and taken her in. There was only a certain amount that could be done with someone with those kinds of attachments, he should know. He’d reached the pinnacle of his career with a wife, Rose, by his side and children that he loved.

It was a pinnacle that was some way below the heights he might otherwise have ascended to. Some thirty years ago the decision had been mutually reached that his purpose was to bring along the men and women who could take the offices in this realm forwards, the potential partners of the future. The Senior Partners were a closed shop, but the Junior Partners?

There were opportunities there. And he’d delivered three people to that illustrious rank in that time, as well as having some failures like poor Lilah who’d become obsessed with… well, a lie. Unfortunate, but Toni was better and the last of his protégés.

It was only his duty to give her the best possible chance. Relieve her obsession and perhaps break her of her loyalties to those who’d now surely reject her if they had any sense. After the tragic accident of a few years ago, she was well placed and didn’t even realise it.

“Are you finished?” he asked.

Toni said nothing, she wanted to but clearly couldn’t find the words.

“Then Eric will see you home.”

The demon put his hand on Toni’s shoulder, not waiting for her permission and then they were gone.

Holland set about updating Toni’s file, sipping his coffee.

Chance in *Chance*

Post subject: Re: Sidestep - Third Chronicle (new part 09/27/11)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:36 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Katharyn, So Toni is all upset that she could have sent Tara instead of Willow? WTF? I really despise her right now. Willow might have fried Toni on the spot and then methodically ripped apart anyone and any “thing” who dared try to prevent her reaching Tara! I just don’t get this obsession with her father. Some people are just whack. And why didn’t she do this reading before running to Willow? She waits until it’s set in motion to do research? Not very thorough.. especially for a protégé.

Holland is one slimy, slick character. But.. he is underestimating Tara’s deep sense of compassion. I don’t think the family ties between Toni and the girls will be permanently broken. Will he tolerate that or pull some other scheme to alienate Toni from everyone she cares about? Hmmm.. he didn’t say she could have her father back for any specific amount of time did he? It would serve her right if he croaked the moment after entering the living world and signing hello!

Back to Tara next, eh? I keep picturing the kitty on the screen door –Hang in there! LOL!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:36 am 

Holland is a slime ball.. period the end. Toni is a piece of garbage. I have no sympayhy for her. She didnt give a damn how stomping thru the halls would impact the Rosenberg-Maclay's before she sent Willow to slink around the sewers of the dead. So, why care now? I'm with Ms. Mod. I hope she gets her dad back only to have him become the thing she hates... whatever that may be. Maybe make him a Vamp who rips her fricking throat out. Did W&H want Tara to follow Willow to the halls? Was that apart of the plan all along? What are they hoping to gain? I mean I don't believe they (W&H) would do all of this just to alienate her (Toni) from her family..or would they?......Gaaah! Soooo many possibilities... it's hard to be patient!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:52 am 
23. Volumey Text

Natrually I never expected you guys to 'like' Toni in this fic, but this venom is... wow. Of course I am too close as the writer who created her, even though I set her up for this. Anyone thinking about it (I didn't!) wouldn't be surprised :)

SMGOVAN - Holland's a lawyer. More than that, he's a Wolfram and Hart lawyer... end of. That said - so far as we know so far - he's living up to his contract with Toni (or the firm is through him) in an efficient and cost effective manner. Tara owes W&H and W&H made a deal with Toni. At least that was what I was trying to suggest to that point (which is neither to say that is all it is or that there is more!) I'd encourage you to think back to Lilah though...

Thanks

Kajun - Umm, no. I don't think that is what I meant (but I may well have said it.) Toni is now aware of the same thing as the girls/women - that there is another way into the Halls. Given that 'other way' she could've sent anyone she could trust to do what she needed them to. Assuming they had the moxie to bring back what she wanted too. So no, she's not thinking 'gee, wish I'd sent Tara.' She might've preferred to send Tara AND Willow because that gives a better chance of success. But not just Tara. But you're right about what would have happened if she HAD done it the other way around.

As for her thought processes... yes, that's a little 'off' But I certainly know people who obsess about certain things - even in the face of greater, more immediate concerns. I also know people who have too much faith in their employers...

Yes, Tara next...

Thanks so much.

PS - did no one get the pop culture reference yet??? And I put it in there specially. Come on Miss Mod, this should be right up your street.

PPS - Shameless plug, I'm about to post an update to Lesbian Gay Type Women In Love... just for fun.

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:25 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Katharyn, Grrr to Toni even if she wasn’t implying she’d rather have sent Tara. She put Willow, and in turn Tara, in harm’s way not for a noble cause.. but for her own personal gain. There is another angle Toni could be playing: Using this as the safest way she could find to clear Willow and Tara’s debt with WaH. Coz they are her family. Is she that good of an actress? And with Eric being an empath with Telepathy.. he’s in on her scheme. Now there’s a crack conspiracy theory for you. LOL :wink

Anyway.. the pop ref: There’s “sort of” a ref to Amber’s book with the big bad corporation and its protégé but I’m sure that’s not it. The alien host thing is of course X-Files. The sharing of the minds and Vulcan-esque hand on the shoulder at the end is totally Star Trek --Beam Me Up Scotty! I’m thinking none of those are what you had in mind. I’m afraid the kudos are still up for grabs as my brain is busy contemplating all manner of “fun” things to do to Toni via her soon to be alive pop. Sorry!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:25 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Okay, no...

Well, those may be pop culture references. However, I meant a little more directly.

The actor who played Holland in the show also played a role in Lost (Bernard, from S2). His wife in Lost was called Rose. I just named Holland's wife as Rose in this part...

A tiny thing I thought maybe someone would get LOL

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next