The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: Sidestep - Third Chronicle (new part 10/26/11)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:48 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Well, I can't say I feel sorry for the old geezer. He has mangled quite a few lives in his time. I give him credit for being fair to Willow, Tara, Toni (bitch), Charlie and even his wife Rose. Willow and Tara more than held up their end of the bargain...Toni did too. I'm glad he was'nt tempted by his own mortality.

Lilah's return can be summed up using the triple 's' express... spooky (those damn eyes..nuff said), skanky (propositioning an old happily married man..just shameful :no !) and shocking (I so did not expect to see her back..and certainly not to watch Hollands ticket get punched!).

One more to go...I'm almost tempted to stay off the board for the rest of the week, just to make it last a little bit longer...But, in true addict form, I will be waiting (impatiently) to see the story thru to the bitter (and I do mean Bitter) end..... :happy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:01 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 1
Katharyn, The dynamic duo gets the better of Eric once again. LOL. His assessment of the girls is pretty accurate. Holland is just a d*@K. He doesn’t know Willow and Tara at all if he believes they always think the worst of anyone not human. And their power doesn’t come from an evil source. GRRRR.

I knew WaH would take credit for disposing of the Master. Posers. At least Holland had the sense to make sure the books were cleared in regards to Toni, Willow and Tara. And.. that they won’t be spying on our resident witch in training, Faith.

Lilah.. don’t like her. Slayer Faith can get away with sexual innuendo and suggestive actions --coz she’s hot. With Lilah.. it’s just downright repulsive. I could care less whether Holland accepted the sleaze-bag’s offer of extended life or not. He’s gonna be surprised when he gets to the hotD and realizes there is an organized group of Slayers just itchin’ to whoop some evil ass! Or maybe he bypasses the waiting room and goes straight to HELL. LOL. Sorry.. I just have no sympathy for anyone that messes with Willow and Tara.

Only one more? Are you sure???.. Gulp…

I hope SMGOVAN brings plenty of tissues to share.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:56 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

wow, i missed alot of great updates while away :)

charlotte was the best surprise of all :applause
maybe a wedding next, that would be fun :grin
thanks katharyn...

and holland, that old fucker set it up for himself and rose. knew it was not about toni's dad, sorta, not really :heart

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:05 am 
23. Volumey Text

Topics: 5
SMGOVAN - Yeah, you have to be fair to Holland... he was never vindictive, unfair or big bad about his villainy. In a very real way he was a positive factor for T/W in getting out of the life for as long as they did. But he was a WaH man through and through.

Of course I intended the return of Lilah to be that way once it had been suggested, but it was actually based on an idea I rejected much earlier to bring Faith back as that... trouble was that would say that there was no way that you could avoid that kind of fate as she'd earned her 'good place' so I dropped it. Once you guys brought up Lilah though I dusted off the idea and inserted it to the Holland finale...

Yes, just the one in a few minutes time... *CRY*

If you're going to be bitter about it, can you at least be twisted too? Bitter's no fun without twisted.

Thanks

Kajun - Ooooh, Holland dislike. You must hate clogs... (See, now I could've made a joke about sticking a finger in the dyke but I held off... Oh, wait...)

There's some element of falsification in Holland's claiming credit and - if I am honest - that was not his objective. Seriously, all he wanted was a way to pay off what Toni was owed and he didn't see anything wrong with using the girls for that. Now, if that meant he gained something too then... good for him.

Let it not be said that Lilah was not hot. Now her behavior here and being taken over (this is WAAAAY more than possession) is skanky I will admit.

Yes, just the one... Tissues all around. You, know, if she can pass them around with her finger in the... No, not saying that again. Shouldn't make fun of my European neighbours :)

Thank you!

edob - Yeah, you missed out... but only the one left. Nice to read in one go perhaps.

No time for a wedding I'm afraid, but a little planning of it :)

And no, you didn't know what it was about. Cos I didn't when I was writing the earlier parts!!

LOL

Thanks to you all.

And here comes the final part... Probably the last ever Sidestep part...

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*
-------------------------

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:07 am 
23. Volumey Text

Title: The Sidestep Chronicles: Third Chronicle (Part 58 (300))
Author: Katharyn Rosser
Feedback: Constructive criticism is always welcome. Flames just demonstrate you have a tiny mind.
Spoiler warning: I’m really not going to bother after all this time except to say that this fic will totally spoil my own Sidestep: First Chronicle and Second Chronicle which can be found in the Completed Fics archive (A-M)
Distribution: This story was written for Pens. Pens is its home. No archiving off Different Coloured Pens and the Kitten Board please. (This applies to all my stories, fics and particularly to Sidestep Chronicle as a whole.)
Summary: The very end. Where else did you think this was going to end up?
Disclaimer: I don’t own any of the copyrights or anything else associated with BTVS. All rights lie with the production company, writers etc. I am making no money from this series of stories however all original characters and situations remain my property.
Rating: The earlier Chronicles of Sidestep were much darker and I slapped a blanket R rating on them for occasional content. This series is lighter in tone caution is only recommended for occasional scenes. However to understand absolutely everything that went before you’d have to have read the first two fully so…
Couples: Tara and Willow forever. Rupert and Jenny are also married with a family. Nothing else referred to.
Text convention: We’re occasionally dealing with some deaf characters here and that has to be addressed. Speech inside asterisks is spoken in sign language only. Occasionally people responding to signed speech may do so inside speech marks, which indicates that they are also verbalising as well. Occasionally I might make a mistake and get this wrong but when dealing with a character that only signs, take it as read that they’re doing so when they “speak.”
Notes: Well, we’ve had a number of endings, but this is the end of the endings and the end of Sidestep. I’m not even thinking of any sequels as this has pretty much been designed to remove the need for them. Everyone who’s anyone has been taken care of and their storyline tied up.
And if you spot a conspiracy here then it’s… NOT. Seriously. There’s no evil plan in the background!
Please, if you’ve been lurking (and have an account) just say hi here at the end so I can thank you. ?
Thanks to: Everyone I’ve previously thanked over the past 8+ years. Beta readers in the past, moderators and board owners, readers of course. Friends and family. I’m not going away, I’ll still be dropping in to write Tara and Willow in occasional fics, but probably not in a big series. Of course, I’ve said that before.

“Well,” Willow said. “I see the school didn’t fall apart without you.”

“Neither did your business,” Tara replied.

“So, what’s the opposite of indispensible?” Willow asked.

“Umm, dispensable?”

“I guess we’re dispensable then. Wouldn’t it be nice to be a bit more… needed?” Willow wondered.

Tara snorted. It’d taken her years and years to make all of the faculty in the school her hires. Not that those who’d been here when she took over as Principal hadn’t been good people, good teachers and good for the kids – some of them were still close friends – but there was always an element of aloofness from those hired by a predecessor. While they’d been here longer than her, hired by the same person who’d hired her, they ‘belonged’ to another era.

Finally, last summer, everyone who worked here was her choice – for better or for worse. That was the kind of responsibility she could live with.

And things had worked out. It was the first time she’d left the school in the middle of a semester for any length of time and everything was… just fine.

More to the point, given the sort of things that could happen in her life, the school was still here. Not that she was surprised. Just pleased.

“I shouldn’t be indispensible,” Tara said. “Not to anyone but you anyway.”

“Hmm, well that’s true. I still need you even if they don’t – but for different things.”

Willow pulled her closer as they walked through the grounds. It was the weekend and the place was still busy with the boarding pupils, getting out and enjoying the sun. Tara was big on that, you could be alone if you wanted to – that was fine everyone needed to be alone – but you had to get out of the halls and into the sun while you could. Winter was bad enough up here without staying inside in the summer too.

Sure, there’d be kids playing games and stuff indoors right now, but more of them responded to the courses and activities that the faculty – mostly in their own time – liked to put on for those who were here for some two hundred and fifty days and nights a year. Or they just found the fun for themselves.

For years and years generations of these kids had practically been living in their house, that had faded away when she became the ultimate authority figure though. Did she miss it? Sure.

Kids were always inventive, endlessly so.

Made her feel old just to be around it. Old but good.

Right now, the return of she and Willow was the biggest topic of conversation. No less than ten kids or groups of them had welcomed them back and wondered where they’d been. Guess which part of that had been the most important to them?

‘Out west’ was about as good an answer as they’d wanted to give. ‘Family business.’ You should be honest with kids but there were limits to what you’d admit to. The Halls of the Dead was certainly an answer too far.

“Good,” Tara said. “It’s good you need me.”

Willow thumped her arm after a long enough period of silence. “You’re supposed to say that you need me too.”

“Oh. Right. Yeah. Willow, let me just say – for the record - I need you too,” Tara deadpanned.

“Finally.”

Smiling, they continued walking. Life was all around them. Grass between their toes – yes, the Principal did sometimes walk barefoot in her own school grounds – flowers and trees. It wasn’t her favourite time of year for the trees, she loved the look of the place in the fall, but this was her overall favourite time of year. How could it not be?

The lake Faith wanted to get married beside was so pretty, everything so green and full of nature…

The only thing that spoiled it was that – in a few weeks – the kids would leave for the summer and, with a very few exceptions who stayed here even in the summer, the place would lose that element of life that’d become most important to her.

On the other hand it was a time they could get away together, get out into the world and see friends who couldn’t get over here. Even if, somehow, they’d ended up doing that on their enforced trip already.

Meeting up with Faith and Angie hadn’t changed a desire to do so again, there was a wedding to plan after all. And yeah, she’d still take a trip to Sunnydale. The former Mayor had invited her and… he’d been good to them. Good enough that even Willow wasn’t going to begrudge him, at least for a while.

“Watch it, baby,” Willows said, diverting her sideways. “Squirrel crap.”

“You’re paying too much attention to the ground,” Tara told her.

“Is it wrong to only want grass between my toes?” Willow asked “And not digested nuts and… well, other squirrel crap?”

Tara just shrugged, glorying in the sun on her face and her girl on her arm. The wedding was going to be beautiful. She could see it now. And – with any luck – it’d just be the first of several as the Giles clan grew up and fled the nest. Plus, good excuse for new outfits.

“You know we’ll have to talk about it, one day?”

“That day’s not this day though, is it?” she asked.

“No. No, it’s not.”

Willow was right. One day they would have to talk about the things they’d discovered when they’d been… well, ‘on the other side’ was how they tended to refer to it now. There were all sorts of implications, plans to be made. Rendezvous’ and the like…

But really, why would they talk about that now? Morbid much? Maybe there was an alternative. Maybe they should… “Could we just write letters?” Tara asked.

“You don’t want to discuss it?”

“Do you?”

“No,” Willow admitted.

“So… letters?”

“Done.”

Easy peasy.

How was that for practicality combined with a complete lack of morbidity? And she didn’t feel like she was dodging anything. Willow already had safety deposit boxes for them both containing financial details, letters and wills. This would just be one more addition. “I don’t want to think about death or the dead or where they are… none of that. Okay?”

“Again,” Willow said, “Done.”

“And… absolutely nothing about whether we were to blame for what happened,” Tara said.

A firm nod from Willow. “We can’t – I don’t want to live that way either. We’ve been there. Done that. I don’t want to go back to buy the tee-shirt.”

“Me neither.”

“But… we did the right thing. I think we did a good thing,” Willow announced.

“Charlie?” Tara guessed.

“Yeah. I… if it had been anyone else, anyone who’d had a life of their own for any length of time, I’d have been sad but that would’ve been it. When she died… it wasn’t fair and I think we did the right thing giving her another chance.”

“I know we did,” Tara said.

“Good,” Willow said. “I mean, it was your Faith who came up with the idea. She’s not exactly renowned for thinking things through.”

“She’s my Faith now?” Tara smiled. “You’re right, she’s not a thinker. That was why they had Watchers,” she said. “The Slayer’s I mean.”

“I guess brain power wasn’t top of the list of requirements.”

“Pot luck,” Tara said. “Maybe she is, maybe she isn’t.”

“Faith or Slayer’s in general?”

Tara stayed silent, just with a smile.

“I don’t want to do anything but this,” Willow said after a few minutes.

“Walk barefoot in the grass avoiding squirrel poop?” Tara checked.

“That too – but this, all of this. The school. The business. The kids. Us. I don’t’ want to do anything but this.”

“Everything changes, love,” Tara reminded her.

“But we don’t have to be the ones to change it. I think… As long as you want this and they want you then we should stay right here. In a few years the company will be attractive enough to one of the bigger players that they’ll probably buy me out, you know that they’ve already been sniffing about.”

“Then what, for you I mean, since I have to stay here?” Tara didn’t mind that at all though.

“New challenge,” Willow said. “Maybe… I don’t know, can you see me as a teacher?”

“I can. But… can you?”

“I think I can.”

“You can’t work for me though,” Tara said.

“There’s a rule about that?”

“No, there’s not a rule. Except that I’m making one. You can’t work for me. There’s a line between what’s us and what’s work and even though it’s kind of blurred it’s definitely still there. You work for me and… well, what if I need to discipline you?”

“You know all the most effective methods, remember a couple of years back? That night with the - ”

Tara held her hand up and shushed Willow, a finger over her lips. “No, you don’t.”

“It’s not like there’s anyone to hear us,” Willow said.

“Half the kids here lip-read and they can do that from further away than they could hear us – sharp eyed little tykes - so… no.”

“Well,” Willow relented. “You do know all the most effective ways.”

“I’m serious.”

“So am I!”

“You can’t work for me, not directly.”

Willow shifted into thoughtful mode for a second. “Well, I’m not sure I’d want to drive a long way to go and work somewhere else so… what if I was a volunteer?”

“Say what now?”

“What if I volunteered, what if I worked for free? You wouldn’t have to discipline me then,” Willow suggested. “Though you totally could if you wanted, once in every little while. Maybe… Perhaps?”

Tara rolled her eyes. She really didn’t think that their flirtation with what Willow was now calling choosing to call ‘discipline’ had really been that successful. More of a giggle – since they hadn’t been able to stop laughing - but more than that?

On the other hand… what Willow wanted, Willow tended to get. At least eventually. This beautiful woman had a way of wangling what she wanted out of her.

“We don’t have any volunteers,” Tara said, sitting on the bench by the lake, wondering where would be best for the wedding ceremony that Faith and Angie wanted. And then for the photographs.

Willow didn’t sit down right away though. “So I’d be breaking new ground.”

“And what would you do?”

Willow was stood in front of her and now Tara was loosely holding both of her wife’s hands.

“Volunteer type things, I could… I could give you a state of the art IT set up. At cost.”

“Then what?” Tara wondered, not entirely convinced that they needed anything better than Willow’s sub-contractors had already provided for her a few years back.

“I could… give inspirational speeches,” Willow said. Tara must’ve given something away though about her thoughts on that. “What?”

“Nothing.”

“No,” Willow insisted. “You had a face. I know all your faces – including ‘oh, my god I can’t see your face because I’m sat on it’ – and that was a face.”

Tara shook her head. “Sit down.”

“I don’t know if I want to sit with you,” Willow said, half-heartedly pulling away. “You don’t talk to me anymore.”

Tara tightened her grip and pulled Willow back towards her and though her wife did fight her for a short moment, then she was drawn and only putting up a token resistance. She knew very well where Willow wanted to be.

“Okay,” Tara said. “I’ll talk to you.”

“The face, love?”

Tara still had one Willow’s hands in hers, but the other was running up the outside of Willow’s leg. And down again. It wasn’t going to deflect a woman who knew her this well though. “Inspirational speeches aren’t what I think of when I think of you.”

“I’d hope not, you get to see my many other qualities. And… goodies.”

Tara smiled, she couldn’t help it. “You know what I mean, you’re not a public speaker, baby.”

“I’m better than I was.”

“Granted.”

“I built a successful business and sold things to lots of people – people like you.”

“Yes, you did.”

“And you’re still claiming I’m not a public speaker.”

“Damn straight.”

“I wish you’d stop saying that,” Willow said, sighing. “I want to be a great speaker I just… the pressure gets to me and I get into the detail and I can’t stop myself and…. I’m doing it now aren’t I?”

“A little.”

“I do have a lot to say to the kids,” Willow insisted, being serious for a moment.

“Yes, you do. But unless they’re going to keep hearing from you and no one else, I think maybe you need to look for an opportunity that’d occupy you more.”

Willow finally sat with her on the bench, but draped her legs into Tara’s lap. “Foot rub?”

“You have dirty feet.”

“So do you.”

“But you’re the one who’s asking for a foot rub,” Tara said.

“Afraid your students will see you doing that and know about my foot fetish?” Willow wondered.

“What foot fetish?”

“Well, I have feet… I like foot rubs. And I like shoes.”

Tara shook her head. “I don’t think that’s a fetish, baby. You have no idea what you really want to do, do you?”

“You said do-do.”

“Yeah, I said do-do. But you don’t know, do you?”

“Nope.”

“And you want a change.”

“Yeah. Eventually – not yet, but… I don’t want to do what I do forever. Though I wouldn’t mind doing this forever.”

“And you don’t want anything to change for me?” Tara checked, pushing her thumbs into Willow’s feet.

“Yeah… I mean no, but yeah.”

“Sounds like you’ve got a lot to think about.”

So Willow loved where they were now. That was good, because so did she. So she wanted to do something else with her own life, if she could get the business to the point that it would’ve taken care of their futures… great. Frankly Tara wouldn’t have argued if Willow said she wanted to give it all up tomorrow and give it away. Yeah, she’d have asked if she was sure, but in truth that was Willow’s thing. Willow’s dream.

Now her wife was ready to start thinking about a new one and she’d be there for that one too. Willow was a builder. Once it was up and running, she was less interested. It wasn’t like that was news to her, she’d always been like that.

“Are you sure I couldn’t give a speech?” Willow asked. “I mean, I get to sign for half the kids anyway…”

“Baby, I’ve interpreted for you before – remember when you were doing that demo and needed your hands free? And you got a little flustered by that question - ”

“Stupid question!”

“Stupid, I know. But…”

“Yeah, that was bad,” Willow said. “Okay… no motivational speaking – or signing – for me. Not as a career.”

“What does that leave you with?”

“I need something I’m good at,” Willow said. “Something I enjoy and have a natural aptitude for.”

One thing did spring to mind, of course, but Tara really wasn’t sure that you could make a career out of that. Not a legal one anyway. And besides, they had their vows to consider.

“Oh, come on,” Willow pleaded. “Say it.”

“No.”

“I know you’re thinking it. Just say it.”

“I’m not saying it.”

“Spoilsport,” Willow accused as Tara massaged her feet. “Ow!”

“Sorry.”

“You know… I could get very lazy and sit home all day waiting for you.”

“No,” Tara said. “You couldn’t. You don’t do lazy. You tried it, you re-configured the definition to match yourself and you were still an abject failure at all things laziness.”

“Which is why I’d be so motivational!”

Tara shook her head. “Uh-huh.”

“Uh-huh?”

“I don’t think you can teach what makes you a success, love.”

“Explain, if you will.”

“I’d be delighted. What makes you a success is that you’re you. Your mind never stops. Your obsessive – in a very cute way – as well as being a perfectionist control freak.”

“Please, do keep paying me compliments,” Willow said sarcastically.

“What I mean is that it’s a very specific set of qualities that come together and make you wonderful. I couldn’t work the way you do, I couldn’t be a success that way. Most people probably couldn’t.”

“I do the hard work,” Willow said, obviously a little crestfallen.

“You do, totally. But you do it your way, love. Tell someone else – tell one of my kids to work that way and they’d probably drive themselves bonkers.”

“That’s about the third insinuation of mental illness that you’ve heaped on me in as many minutes,” Willow told her, threatening to pull her foot back.

“Oh, no,” Tara said. “I know you’re very sane. You’re the sanest person I know.”

“But…”

“No buts. You love me don’t you?”

“Head over heels, sweet lady.”

“And that’s about as sane as you can get, isn’t it?” Tara challenged.

Willow nodded and this time did pull her feet from Tara’s lap, swinging around to nestled closer to her. Tara put an arm around her wife once the new position was offered. In the shade, on a warm day with the leaves rustling and her wife in her arms… this was pretty much perfect.

“We put the world to rights,” Willow said.

“Again.”

“I want to stop doing that.”

“We did,” Tara told her.

“But…” Willow didn’t finish the thought. “I want to stop.”

That was a big thing to say, accepting that – yes, they’d gone back to it because they had to and Willow herself had been the catalyst for that, she’d allowed herself to tale that burden on when Toni tried to blackmail her. Now… no more? No matter what? Tara had to wonder if her wife had thought that through.

“I know. I agree. But… it’s the world we know. Other people don’t see it, what are we supposed to do say if Jenny’s family get in trouble? I mean… Faith’s practically a witch; she just chooses not to use the gift she has. They know too much, you want us to turn her down if she needs help?”

And there was the thing. To say ‘we’re not going to do that any more’ and to actually mean it? That was huge. Because it was – always – the people who they knew, loved and valued that were at risk when they didn’t Thankfully there wasn’t a cemetery for miles and vampires around the school were so rare they could go from year to year without patrolling. But… what if?

What if those things she’d just suggested to Willow really happened?

“There are other places she can go for help,” Willow said. “And we know where those are. People we can send them to. People we can ask to come help uys.”

“Sounds easy,” Tara said.

Willow sighed. “I know, it probably isn’t in the real world. But… this is the change, one of the changes I want to make. We’ve always left it open. We’ll do what we can if we need to,” Willow said. “If you want us, we’ll be there. Maybe… maybe it’s someone else’s turn to be there. Maybe it’s someone else should be who they need. Not us

“I think, maybe, it’s the only way we’ll ever really put it behind us.”

“What’s brought this on?” Tara asked. She didn’t disagree with anything Willow was saying, she’d known it for years but it really hadn’t been an issue that’d occupied them.

And she didn’t know, if Faith got in trouble, that she could say anything but ‘let us help you.’

“What we just did. Where we were…”

“We weren’t going to talk about that morbid stuff.”

“And we’re not. But, baby, if and when it happens – and I guess it will – we’ll be old ladies, surrounded by the kids and the people we love and still screwing each other’s brains out. In fact… in the act. Or after.”

“We’ll be screwing surrounded by people?” Tara questioned. “Kids?”

“You know what I mean.”

“Yeah, I know what you mean.”

“I want to take… normal people risks from now on.”

“Normal people risks,” Tara repeated. “That sounds good. Like… what would average Joanna do?”

“Yeah, that should be our decision making creedo,” Willow said. “What would average Joanna do?”

“Umm, Willow,” Tara said.

“Yes, love.”

“That’s what they call my ‘upper thigh’.”

“I know.” She seemed perfectly contented in that knowledge too.

“Your hand?”

“Yes?”

“It’s… on it.”

“It really is.”

“Out here.”

“Yup.”

“With the kids all around,” Tara reminded her.

“Half of them are blind,” Willow said, making a mockery of the earlier point about lip-reading. “And believe me, they can’t hear this. More to the point, there’s not one of them that can see a thing. There’s just a lake and us.”

That was true, there was no one around, right now. She knew it both by sight but also through the magic they wanted to put aside. With no sense of complex life around them… other than the crapping squirrels of course.

“Not that I’m against public displays of affection,” Tara said as Willow’s hand slipped up under her skirt. “But… what are you doing?”

“I’d have thought that was obvious enough.”

“I mean, what are you doing – doing that now? Here?”

“Do you want the quick answer or the more complex and nuanced one?” Willow asked, not stopping what she was doing and kissing her neck at the same time.

“Quick?”

“I wanted to.”

Okay, that was pretty simple. “What about the… mmm… the more nuanced one?”

“I asked myself what any average Joanna would do if it was a beautiful warm day and she had a hot wife available to her…”

“And this was your answer.”

“Well,” Willow hedged. “It is average Joanna. My first thought wasn’t very average.”

“I’ll bet it wasn’t.”

“I don’t do average very well… I need to work on that.”

“By all means,” Tara told her. “It’s importance to recognise your development needs.”

“I kind of like how this is developing though,” Willow said.

Tara didn’t think she meant how her fingers were creeping higher.

“What now?” she asked as Willow’s fingertips reached a significant point.

“Well, if I’m doing my job right then average Joanna should be feeling kinda frisky by now, or at least getting that way. And I think at that point she has to ask herself what, given the rest of the day is free, we’ve cheated death and saved the inhabitants of a different world as well as having a scorching hot wife who wants nothing more complicated than to get in her pants, average Joanna has to ask herself what she’d do…”

“Take you home,” Tara breathed.

“That does seem the average thing to do.”

“And maybe, you know, take that wife to bed?”

“Again, very, very average.”

Tara hesitated as Willow pulled the neckline of her sweater away from her skin and kissed around her collar bone. “Wait…”

“What, baby?”

“Willow, this is… this important.” Of course the lips and the fingers that were teasing her seemed even more important, but this definitely needed to be said. Asked… whatever.

“No one’s stopping you from saying whatever you like,” Willow pointed out.

“Okay… Are you, is the plan that we go back to the house and have some very average sex?”

Willow froze. “I had more making love in mind,” she said.

“Well, very average making love didn’t quite get to what I was asking you,” Tara explained. “But is that what you’re saying?”

“I think,” Willow said, recommencing the signals of her intent, “that what I’m saying is that it’d be average for us. Lets stick with that.”

“Oh, what a relief,” Tara said. “Cos, like you said, you are pretty exceptional in some areas.”

“Yes, we are.”

“Take me to bed and make very average - ”

“For us,” Willow clarified.

“Take me to bed and make very average for us love to me?” Tara asked.

“When you put it that way, how can I refuse?”

THE END

Afterword:

There it is… I actually considered ending in a sex scene but to be honest, I think this is better. And you guys can fill this in can’t you? In your heads?

Sidestep is now, definitively, over… While I could write one-shots in the universe there’s not much point. We have the girls, and their families, happy and together. The world has been put to rights.

What else could we possibly need to do for them?

This fic grew quite a lot after the initial draft, and quite a lot more once I was posting it because of the feedback from readers. It’s ended up 180,000 words long which – by my standards – is quite tight and concise but in the publishing world is way too long for anyone but say Steven King to put out there LOL

Such is the wonder of Pens. Posted anywhere else, just as straight text with no feedback it wouldn’t be what it is. That’s why it belongs here and only here and that’s why I write T/W here and only here…

Thanks to all of you ?

Though I am going on a break for a few days, I will be back to deal with any further comments and questions etc so don’t feel I’ve abandoned you now the story is done!

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:21 am 

The final dibs...I'm honored :) .

Katharyn, this is my favorite line " you had to get out of the halls and into the sun while you could."...Aint that the truth. I think the girls are going to apply that statement to their lives literally. They are going to enjoy the rest of their lives together by putting themselves first. Writing letters instead of having 'the talk' was a perfect solution. Talking about death and the afterlife would have made this update to somber and I wanted it to end on a happy note.

Tara should stick to her guns re: Willow teaching at her school. You don't sh*t where you eat. Because, business and pleasure rarely mix.

I'm very happy with this ending. I think you were right to exclude the sex scene. I could feel their connection thru their constant banter, which was funny and flirty, as well as their subtle and not so subtle touching.

I'm very sad that it's over. But, you did a wonderful job with this story and I look forward to reading any and everything that you write in the future. It's the end of an era....Sidestep Trinity fades to black....

passes box of tissues to Kajun :sob :happycry

ps. What in the blue hell happend to the other Willow?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:49 am 
23. Volumey Text

Think you deserve final dibs SMGOVAN

I think you're right, the girls will live their lives and not worry about what comes afterwards - but they'll be okay in the 'after' too. Maybe it's cheating, but maybe it's just a shortcut to the awareness everyone should get.

Have to admit that the letter idea actually came from HIMYM. I doubt Wilow's will mirror Lilly's - bank account number and 'cancel vogue' :) Also practical, you're right I can't end this part on a downer. Maybe I ended on slightly too much of an upper with the slightly public teasing but... hey.

Sex, in general, has always been slightly superfluous on Sidestep. I refused to go there - even though it wasn't against FAQ - with VW and Tara... After that it was just unnecessary. The tone had already been set. (But I love me some smut fic writing anyway!)

I'm kind of sad it's over too, but glad you could have this run without a break. I do prefer writing and just redrafting when posting has started. So much easier than the pressure to create from scratch. I think it also helps the quality. And yes, now I wonder what I could do next... I even wonder about Sidestep but I think that's pretty much done. Deliberately so! Law of diminishing returns really does apply even though I'm really happy with how this went from your reactions. Everything I worried about didn't come to pass :)

Something like 9 years of writing Sidestep on and off (mostly on!) over... Thanks so much for the kick in the ass to get me going on this.

As for what happened to the other Willow... hmm. Could be an oversight. Could be a thread. Could be some things we're just not meant to know... Like I say, all this is point of view. Perhaps the only person who could say (but wouldn't care) was Lilah...

Thanks again *HUGS*

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:08 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Creator of the Sidesteppian Thesaurus: Thank you for the tissues. :cry And a huge Thank You for being a big inspiration for Katharyn to continue this most excellent tale! You deserve the honor of dibs and then some!

Katharyn, Awwwww.. and a few giggles too! After everything they have been through, it’s pretty perfect to end this with the girls on a stroll, enjoying the beauty of nature and planning the future. Not too many people become principle or create a company so successful others want to buy it. Willow and Tara will have to settle for being well and truly above average. :)

This is been quite a rollercoaster ride. It was really hard to refrain from pulling quote after quote and rambling on that this or that was funny, scary, poignant, sweet, thrilling, heartfelt, etc. I’m so glad you picked this story up for a third installment. For all my crazy theories.. I wouldn’t change a thing you’ve written here. Thank you so much for sharing your very creative, talented brain for.. well.. many wonderful years. And more years to come, I hope! :bow

In honor of this special occasion, I made a little prezzie. Now, web graphic stuff isn’t my thing, I’m more of a whittler, but this popped into my head the other day so.. without further ado.. here’s a Sidesteppin’ Kitten just for you:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:19 pm 

Meow!....Kajun, I love the Sidesteppin' Kitten! This story and it's Writer are very deserving of their own special icon!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:47 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

*delurks*

Just wanted to pop in and thank you for the incredible ride that was Sidestep :) I was truly happy to know that you were finishing the series with a Third Chronicle, and you didn't disappoint. And now I'm a bit sad that you've actually finished it! As you mentioned in previous posts... Willow and Tara had grown a bit too powerful, too wise... and so it's kinda difficult for you to do stuff with them. I'm glad you pulled this one off so well!

I've grown to love Tara and Willow's extended family in this story as well... even Toni, despite the role she had in this story. I would love to see more stories about them, and their interaction with W & T. Faith's witchy powers has always intrigued me. Just saying :P

Thanks again, for the wonderful happy endings. Take care!

And.... now to think of an efficient manner to access this story from my iPhone. Lol!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:51 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Kajun - Yeah... awwww. Where else could I end but awwww?

Of course they're going to be a success. They know that everything else in life is easy compared to the things they've already had to face and (sometimes) barely come through... So if they can live that way then it has to be good for them now :)

You could've quoted at me if you wanted. The beauty of having finished it all up front was that I had more time to actually respond to feedback without taking away from (this) writing. It was just my other stuff that suffered for my T/W fix :)

I think, despite your prejudices against my characters ;), we've ended up in a nice, rounded off place for Sidestep so I'm happy with it too. And it's certainly true I'm not going anywhere! I'll still be doing occasional T/W stories but, if I ever do another series, like this it will be all finished before I post. Takes less of my life that way! So it's a way in the future for now...

As for Sidesteppin Kitten - love it! I won't make it my AV because hey, how self-promoting would that be, but love it. Thank you so much! I may have to save the story into web pages on my drive so I can put that at the top *HUGS*

Thanks!

Cereals - how long did you spend thinking of that name over breakfast then? LOL Just kidding.

It's a lovely thing to know that there are, really, other people out there reading what I put out. And even better when one registers to say so. Thank you so much just for doing that and now that you're registered stick around. No one here bites (except in a playful way) and you can post what you like in threads/fics... the more the merrier if you're comfortable with it :)

More than that, you read the whole thing! Wow!! Dedication... Like I said a few times, I always knew there was a third story there waiting to be told, but finding it took me a few false starts and then I was doing other stuff and other writing so... here we are now though, at the end.

Even in Second Chronicle though, they were already too powerful so this was a balancing act. The original idea was 'dragon' type things, something that was even more powerful than them. But that kind of escalation just gets silly. Its how TV shows go over time until you forget why they even struggled with the first season bad guys...

So happy to hear you felt the balance was right here though.

I have to say that I do have faves... In my non-Sidestep T&W writing I favour Tara over Willow. But in Sidestep, I favour the others over the pair of them LOL. I love thought extended family members and bringing some of them back in an alternate universe was a joy.

Now you just had to go and say stuff about seeing more didn't you? The problem is purely a timeframe one, because of not wanting to see the girls in a old people's home... Not wanting to deal with the mortality of the older characters but also keeping it T/W focused. I can't go off with FG as the next generation cos this is about the girls LOL... Also, every time I come back and create another 'bad situation' it makes the victory in the previous one worth a little less - no matter how it read at the time...

See how you made me actually think about the intricacies of this? This is how I get into trouble and start thinking... Damn you, lurker!! Just teasing. But seriously, damn you. No. Just kidding ;)

Thanks so much...

As for the iPhone, I really wouldn't try... too much scrolling! LOL

I'll leave the thread here at least until I return, pick up and other feedback then mark as complete for more to archives.

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:26 am 
4. Extra Flamey

katharyn
thanks so much for the ride, it was wonderfull :applause

edob

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:53 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Oh, I guess I should have mentioned the Sidesteppin Kitten isn’t an avatar. Those can’t be over 100X100 pixels and the image I made is actually, intentionally, too large to use on this board. I just didn’t want to take up a ton of space in the thread with a silly custom animated image.

And a link to the Third Chronicle is already in the author's index. The url will stay the same.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:20 am 
23. Volumey Text

And this is why I have a pet mod :)

edob - Thanks very much indeed. Glad you all held on :)

Thanks
Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:18 pm 
5. Willowhand

Topics: 6
Wow. Just...wow. That's a huge chunk of my relatively short life now finished.

'Buffy' has been a part of my life for nearly the whole of it(being born to a couple of college students will do that to you) but only entered it's fanfiction world fairly recently. The first one I started reading? Sidestep.

It's been quite a ride, ma'am, and I thank you for taking us along. You've expanded on well loved characters and made them your own, and we got to watch them grow. It's...starting to affect the way I follow 'canon', honestly. In my angrier moments I judge comics!Willow based on Sidestep!Willow's accomplishments and growth. And please, tell me I'm not the only fan who's made a Sidestep Playlist to listen to while reading? This is at the top of it, as it gives a feel of the war-ground that was Sidestep 1's Sunnydale.

As for the ending? Foot massages, talk of discipline, squirrel poop, and work say far more about these two and their relationship here than any sex scene could, and felt like quite a suitable ending for this trilogy. It gives us a feeling that their adventures aren't over or less fun, they're just somewhere else: more domestic and in our heads.

"Friendship is obviously magic. Love is a sorta super strong friendship. We gay people love so hard we broke 'Social Norm'. Ergo, we gay people are ultra-strong wizards."

Post subject: Re: Sidestep - Third Chronicle (COMPLETE)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:34 am 
23. Volumey Text

Hey Faolan228. Had to smile at the comment about your short life at the start of that :) Now for the scary part, how old you probably were when I started writing this thing... *SIGH* I feel old... LOL

Very well done for wading through all of Sidestep. I am very proud of the totality of it, though I'd do things differently if I was writing the whole thing from scratch now *SHUDDER*

You've captured my own feelings in your feedback. I've been writing the girls this way since before all the bad stuff started and for a long time since, so I very much see them this way now. I can't watch canon anymore, so this is pretty much just the way they are for me. I really have to think about it to step outside of that and write short stories with them back how they used to be LOL.

I don't know about who else may have had a playlist, but I have my own writing playlists and a subset of that which is pretty much my W&T stuff. Within that though I have 'mood' music too... Romantic, action beats, drama... So you're not the only person :)

Absolutely... their adventures are not over, but they're (probably) not going to be the things we'll see here...

(Yeah, I said 'probably')

Thanks so much for reading it all and for taking a few minutes to feedback so nicely :)

I'll go back to feeling old now... *Ponders* Maybe just wise...

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:41 am 
23. Volumey Text

EDIT

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:48 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Compared with the first and second chronicles this one is really really short indeed, but way awesome all the same, (and curiously is really really simillar to the third campaing i played with my old D&D party, the final encounter was with and uber vampire traped in the land of "what awaits beyond..." to finally find the boyfriend of another friend and a way to return to our mortal realm without losing our sanity...i miss those times :P).
I just stop by to say i love it, all the ending by the way, that one of Ethan remind me of those escenes that apear at the credits endings of a movie, and i love how you finish with the girls, i feel it was better that way than a sex scene too. Thanks for keep writing, i love your stories and good luck. -___-\m/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:38 am 
23. Volumey Text

Sorry I am late to the party, Rauko. Amazing how a 'long novel' can seem 'short'. It's all relative!

I never did D&D or that stuff, but it's a common theme when you're looking for something that can stretch any characters :)

Thanks so much for the feedback and for following thru from one to the other. I don't think I could ever end just on a sex scene, so squirrel shit between their toes was the obvious way to go! LOL

Thanks again. Hope to see you in another thread one day.

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10