The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sidestep - Third Chronicle (new part 10/23/11)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:50 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

I sleep about 4 hours a day. I work 4 days a week, 10 hrs per day. I go to school 2 days a week, 2 hrs a day and I'm the single Mother of two beautiful little girls. Sleep is a luxury that I can rarely afford!

So, Henry boy is gonna be knee deep in shit for the rest of eternity. He won't be able to pull any shenanigans with a whole army of Slayers patrolling HotD.

What's the what with the Willow sickness? Does it have anything to do with Vamp Willow going poof? Since she is already living, I would'nt think another wannatouchie Willow would exist in the halls. So, Does it combine them some how? Or, are the scales balanced?

Okay, Would I shed a tear if Toni ended up on the wrong side of a speeding bullet? No, I probably would'nt. I think she needs help. I don't understand how she can put anyone above the well being of her child. Both of my children are adopted. However, nothing and nobody is more important. Would I like to save my parent? Abso-fucking-lutely...But, not at the expense of one of my kids.

8 more....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:29 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 1
Katharyn, Well, I come here to post some feedback only to find that you’ve already updated. Just for that I’m posting my feedback for the other part anyway. Humph. :wink

Ohhh.. the Slayer Circle. Duh. Whoohoo.. Willow and Tara turned the Master’s diabolical weapon to their advantage. How frickin’ cool is that? Thank goodness Tara caught on to Willow’s improvised plan. Otherwise.. I shudder to.. nope.. not going there. Faith finally got to release some of that pent up Slayer energy. If Gray has any sense, he might wanna stay close to her. LOL! Hurray for Jenny hanging back until the perfect moment to get a piece of the action! She’s gonna have one heck of an adventure to tell the kids. And I suspect Rupert may be cleaning his glasses during some of it. :wink Now that the Master has been fried, skewered and thoroughly staked to dust, and WaH isn’t around to re-vamp him, they can breathe a bit easier. But.. I’d still like to see his human form promptly booted from the waiting room into tossed into a pit of eternal fire. Damn.. Tara had her hands full in more ways than one. She had to take care of everyone! You go girl!

Very excited the young Slayers showed up! They can take care of the acolytes. It will be good for them to have the experience. Even in the hotD, there’s a need for people with the strength and power to protect the innocent.

VW won’t be returning in human form, obviously, so what becomes of the demon? How did she even get there? Why did the Master’s touch make Willow’s insides boil? Where is Toni’s dad? They can’t go home yet and I don’t assume the danger is over but they sure could use a break before making their next move. I’m worn out and all I did was read!!!

Now to the next part: Hey, you answered several of my questions! And no… I didn’t edit anything after reading this new chapter –tempting as it was. :wink So glad they caught the human form of the Master right away. It made sense that they would be watching for him. Willow is right, turning him over to the acolytes is basically approving of torture. It must end. I can’t think of anyone better suited to train young Slayers. Faith has proven herself worthy via fighting skills, planning and teamwork to become a great leader.

I loved Faith’s accusation that Willow was making a pass at her. She didn’t see that one coming. LOL. It didn’t take long for a bit of Faith’s style to rub off on Willow. Crrrrrrunch. HahaHaHa!

Thanks, SMGOVAN! Yes, I thought Faith’s sidebar with Jenny was about finding Toni’s child. If the Master found out there was a child there that had a specific connection to Willow and Tara.. ACK! But as we found out, it was about bringing in the Slayers. Anyhoo.. I agree that Toni needs some closure but so do the millions of other people who’ve lost loved ones. She has not earned the right to know the truth of what Willow and Tara discovered during this mission. I am mixed on what should be done though. If it is at all possible to bring someone back from the dead, I would say to bring her child back. Not her father. That is more than Toni deserves but perhaps it would be best for the child. If anyone deserves a second chance at life, it is her child. Now I wonder just how much life energy it would require to achieve such a thing? If Willow and Tara were to hold a tiny wannatouchie for an extended amount of time.. would that energy become self-sustaining?

I didn’t think this was going to make me have such deep thoughts about life, dead and beyond. Awesome updates!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:42 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Topics: 5
Wow, SMGOVAN - I'm doubly honoured you keep finding the time for reading. Seriously busy days!

Yes, Henry is human - which he hates - and stuck that way. He burned a bridge with the people who changed him before and the Slayers aren't likely to let him go back. Why, you might ask, risk it all by facing T & W? Well, he had to. Remember I mentioned Dog Whisperer in notes before as the model for dealing with vampires? Same thing. If he's the 'pack leader' here then he has to be that. he can't just play it safe when faced with a threat. He has to dominate it, control it and turn it to his will. (That makes less sense if you never saw Dog Whisperer!)

Willow's sickness? Nothing much TBH. She got punched in the head and hard... that had to have consequences. Perhaps she's also missing food by now and a little weak. Nothing more than that.

As for VW... that they don't know right now.

Toni though. Thought so LOL. I think what I've always been trying to say is that your opinion is the sane one, however for her she's been obsessing about this since she was 15. She's always aware on some level that obsession lost her child for her too. She has to make it work to make that worthwhile in her own mind. Obsession is her problem, then the fact of what W&H played her with with their refusal to change what she could do...

Kajun - (Just posting to SMGOVAN and then yours was there... the board warned me!! Yay smart board)

You might find that now you're here I have to post again now too... cos I need to fit 8 updates into time usually for 6 LOL.

Nope. Not the Slayer Circle. Stop hitting yourself.

I must admit, I was struggling with the way out of the oil. I wrote the oil and had no idea what to do with it! Thank goodness it seems to have worked.

Are you saying Gray and Faith should hook up?? Wow, change of heart...

Rupert will definitely be cleaning his glasses muchly LOL.

Bear in mind that the 'young slayers' are dead slayers... they have some experience anyway. Some have a lot!

As for all your questions, I can't answer!! But then I don't need to cos you read the next part LOL

Can you imagine Faith let loose with a bunch of Victorian Slayers? LOL. That would be insane :)

Faith will always rile Willow however she can :)

Faith didn't send Jenny to get the Slayers... but we'll get to that...

The fact that you both come around to the child being the key is interesting... and the method you propose even more so... We'll see.

Thanks so much as always

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*
-------------------------

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:46 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Title: The Sidestep Chronicles: Third Chronicle (Part 51 (293))
Author: Katharyn Rosser
Feedback: Constructive criticism is always welcome. Flames just demonstrate you have a tiny mind.
Spoiler warning: I’m really not going to bother after all this time except to say that this fic will totally spoil my own Sidestep: First Chronicle and Second Chronicle which can be found in the Completed Fics archive (A-M)
Distribution: This story was written for Pens. Pens is its home. No archiving off Different Coloured Pens and the Kitten Board please. (This applies to all my stories, fics and particularly to Sidestep Chronicle as a whole.)
Summary: Follow-up from the previous parts. (Great summary huh?)
Disclaimer: I don’t own any of the copyrights or anything else associated with BTVS. All rights lie with the production company, writers etc. I am making no money from this series of stories however all original characters and situations remain my property.
Rating: The earlier Chronicles of Sidestep were much darker and I slapped a blanket R rating on them for occasional content. This series is lighter in tone caution is only recommended for occasional scenes. However to understand absolutely everything that went before you’d have to have read the first two fully so…
Couples: Tara and Willow forever. Rupert and Jenny are also married with a family. Nothing else referred to.
Text convention: We’re occasionally dealing with some deaf characters here and that has to be addressed. Speech inside asterisks is spoken in sign language only. Occasionally people responding to signed speech may do so inside speech marks, which indicates that they are also verbalising as well. Occasionally I might make a mistake and get this wrong but when dealing with a character that only signs, take it as read that they’re doing so when they “speak.”
Notes: Look, whatever happens in this part (or doesn’t) you simply HAVE to end a chapter with the Master being kicked in the nuts. There’s no follow-up to that, no topping it. Don’t even think that there’s somewhere to go after that. That’s turning the volume up to eleven… everything after is a let down.
Thanks to: This is the first part I have finalised since deciding to go to two posts a day to try and finish before I go away from the interwebs for a few days. Cos leaving you with a wait for these finale parts would probably mean losing you altogether! So thanks to all those who are reading faster and still giving me my sugar. Remember. Whore for feedback here. Will write for feedback…

“Sweetie, please. You can stop fussing now,” Willow told her.

“I don’t think so,” Tara replied.

“I kneed a Master Vampire in the balls already. I think that means I’m okay.”

“And you nearly passed out when we got you back here,” Tara replied. No matter what that (dead) doctor had said, she wasn’t inclined to believe that Willow was just fine. Though that had been an impressive blow that her wife had struck for vampire victims everywhere.

“I don’t see you worried about Faith,” Willow said, pushing the blanket away just as fast as Tara was trying to wrap her back in it. She seemed to think being looked after equated to admitting there was a reason she should be.

“Faith’s a Slayer – or was – she’s also already-dead and who knows how that works and besides, I’m not married to her.”

“Could’ve happened,” Willow teased. “You heard what she said.”

“Her? And me? Ha. She’s just messing with us and you? Now you’re just trying to distract me.”

“Is it working?”

“No,” Tara said, refusing to be moved.

“Kiss me.”

“Well, okay…” She leaned over and did as she’d been bidden. “That’s not distracting me either though.”

“Damn it, we don’t really have the privacy for anything else.”

“Get some rest,” Tara said, ignoring the very suggestion. “I don’t want you pushing yourself, not when there’s no need for it. You’re just impatient. And if you do that like a good girl, then we’ll see about getting you up. Deal? If you feel okay.”

She’d pretty much know it if Willow tried to deceive her when it came to anything like that. Their connection was such that she didn’t have to feel too worried about her wife right now, she was certain that there was nothing that was life threatening going on. But Willow wasn’t at her best, far from it.

Thankfully there was nothing left to fight and besides, they had an army the likes of which the real world had never seen to do that for them if there had been.

“Wait,” Willow said, when she tried to withdraw and leave her girl in peace.

“What?” Tara let Willow hold onto her finger to stop her leaving, a child-like gesture. But then Willow was always one of those that regressed when she was sick. She liked to be taken care of, even if she usually fought it all the way to the point she actually gave up.

“What about… it?”

Tara frowned but wasn’t confused. She knew exactly what ‘it’ was, of course.

“No sign,” she said.

Having found the Master, returned as human, they’d looked for the vampire version of Willow and it should’ve been easy to find but… it hadn’t been.

“Maybe she’s – it’s really gone,” Willow posited.

“I doubt it,” Tara replied. They didn’t have that sort of luck.

“Bad penny?”

“She’d get more than a penny in that cleavage, but… if it – if she does turn up then there are Slayers here now. They’ll take care of things,” Tara suggested. “We don’t need to worry about it.”

“Did you think that…?” Willow was struggling to put it into words.

“Go on?” Tara encouraged.

“What if she is gone, because I was here – and because I’m alive?” Willow asked.

Tara actually hadn’t even considered that. Variously they’d run through speculation about what might be different about that vampire to the Master and what had happened when she – it had been destroyed. Surely, the argument had gone, a human Willow would’ve come to someone’s attention and being as that hadn’t happened then the vampire - as a source/product of the Vocah ritual that had brought her Willow back to her – would be around somewhere?

But the view that Willow offered was both convincing and appealing.

There couldn’t be a dead Willow here as well as a living one. There couldn’t be a dead Willow at all as long as there was a live one. So had it just ceased to exist entirely? Wiping out the anomaly?

It was definitely a possibility even if the theory was likely to remain exactly that. Unproven and un-provable. You couldn’t prove a negative like that. “You could be right, but we just don’t know and until someone does… they’ll watch out for her.”

Willow slumped in the bed a little, as if finally relaxing, but still had a hold of her hand. “What…?”

“What what?”

“What is it your thinking about?” Willow asked.

“Can’t keep anything from you can I?” Tara asked.

“Would you really want to?”

“Sometimes it’d be fun,” Tara told her.

“Is this?”

She paused and then shook her head. “There are decisions to be made.”

“About what?”

“No,” Tara said. “It’ll make your head hurt.”

“My head already hurts,” Willow pointed out.

“Hurt more then.”

“And my famous curiosity? You think I’m going to sleep while there’s something for me to curious about?” Willow asked.

That was a good point. This was why there’d been a long period of restlessness after she’d banned any form of computer or phone from their bed, Willow hadn’t been able to look things up. But on balance it had been a better deal.

“There is that,” she admitted.

“Is it a biggie?” Willow asked.

“Pretty big,” Tara told her. “You - We… we came here for something, you know. We shouldn’t forget that.”

“And you found it?” Willow gasped.

“No, not exactly.” How much did she say while Willow was out of sorts?

“Tara! You have to tell me now.”

So she did. And she didn’t expect that Willow would get her sleep.

Neither would she, this was something they’d have to talk out.

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:01 pm 

Oh that's some bullshit! How can you leave us hanging like that! I neeeeeeed to know :gnome .

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:22 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Katharyn, Hee.. yes, the board is very smart! So what the frilly heck is the “circle” and why oh why oh why did Faith send Jenny there????? Just thought Gray could use getting laid is all. Maybe then, he would have the balls to move on. Faith can be very… inspiring! :grin

I hope Willow’s theory is right. Two Willow’s cannot occupy the same realm so VW was poofed completely out of existence. Would you really be that easy on us though? Hmm.. If that isn’t the case, her human “host” shouldn’t show up even when Willow leaves. Coz living Willow owns it! VW must be somewhere in pure demon form. When living Willow dies, I don’t see how they could be integrated since vampires don’t come to the hotD, not without WaH’s assistance anyway. Is the demon even a vampire at all without the human possession? Maybe they are watching for the wrong thing, which brings us back to how VW was there in the first place. Ahhhhh.. my head hurts too!

Willow and Tara are still teetering back and forth regarding the original mission. Both have pros and cons. But who knows how long it would take to find Toni’s dad. And rest doesn’t seem sufficient to sustain Willow much longer. It took a tremendous amount of energy to fire up the freak, and more to recover from being knocked around. But.. how did the other living beings manage in this realm? Do they really even need food? Things work differently here so perhaps it’s a question of mind over matter. If you don’t mind.. food doesn’t matter. Well.. it makes sense in my head anyway.

They have every right to drop everything and go home. Toni will just have to spank her inner moppet and get over it! If she won’t let it go and threatens Willow and Tara again.. throw her ass under a bus. Then she can go find her dad by herself. I doubt it would come to that, pleasing as it sounds. Hopefully, Willow and Tara will come up with a creative way to resolve this once and for all. They can’t move forward until both are in full agreement with the next course of action and time is ticking.

I just read SMGOVAN's reply :lmao I AGREE..

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:43 pm 
23. Volumey Text

SMGOVAN - Could be worse, if I hadn't been taking a trip that might have had to last you several days rather than a few hours... More coming in a moment.

Kajun - You'll see what the Circle is... all will be revealed :)

As for Gray, okay... who couldn't do with getting laid by Faith? (Standard disclaimer: Apart from where it would be icky, against FAQ or the person involved was fragile...)

Admission time, as usual, I had not thought about how this looks when I put these plot threads in there. Willow is sick solely because she got whacked in the head. There's nothing else going on with her, but it's cool that you have to wonder about the integration of the vampire as well!

And like I said before, they're very hungry too! I just skirted over it to avoid having the T/W go to Market chapter...

And the Toni situation... well it's coming. Pretty imminently... so I won't say much more now

Other than thanks and... sorry SMGOVAN! But see the next part :)

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:43 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Title: The Sidestep Chronicles: Third Chronicle (Part 52 (294))
Feedback: Constructive criticism is always welcome. Flames just demonstrate you have a tiny mind.
Spoiler warning: I’m really not going to bother after all this time except to say that this fic will totally spoil my own Sidestep: First Chronicle and Second Chronicle which can be found in the Completed Fics archive (A-M)
Distribution: This story was written for Pens. Pens is its home. No archiving off Different Coloured Pens and the Kitten Board please. (This applies to all my stories, fics and particularly to Sidestep Chronicle as a whole.)
Summary: Tara, Willow and Jenny head back to our world.
Disclaimer: I don’t own any of the copyrights or anything else associated with BTVS. All rights lie with the production company, writers etc. I am making no money from this series of stories however all original characters and situations remain my property.
Rating: The earlier Chronicles of Sidestep were much darker and I slapped a blanket R rating on them for occasional content. This series is lighter in tone caution is only recommended for occasional scenes. However to understand absolutely everything that went before you’d have to have read the first two fully so…
Couples: Tara and Willow forever. Rupert and Jenny are also married with a family. Nothing else referred to.
Text convention: We’re occasionally dealing with some deaf characters here and that has to be addressed. Speech inside asterisks is spoken in sign language only. Occasionally people responding to signed speech may do so inside speech marks, which indicates that they are also verbalising as well. Occasionally I might make a mistake and get this wrong but when dealing with a character that only signs, take it as read that they’re doing so when they “speak.”
Notes: Okay, so this story does have more ‘endings’ than LOTR (see previous parts’ notes) but we’re still in the justified ones here… Surprisingly this wasn’t what I actually thought would happen when I was plotting the story, however by the time I’d gotten only a little way in I’d inserted this big old place marker at the end kind of saying ‘DO THIS HERE’ except, of course it actually said what I was doing… which you have to read without me telling you about it here. So get to it.
Thanks to: You’ve all been agitating for certain characters to get or not get what they deserve… The first hints of that are included in this part. So thank you but you’ve changed nothing on that… It was already here. Hope it’s a little more satisfying.

“We’re sure this will work?” Willow asked.

“He says so,” Tara replied. “I mean… if it doesn’t no one but us will ever know about it anyway.”

“You’re right though, we can’t not do this.”

They were stood at the portal from this realm back to the Hellmouth in Sunnydale. They’d been warned about Cleveland – Government Central - and none of them wanted to reverse Willow’s long climb up into the middle of a lake.

Not only didn’t they want to get dirty – dirtier - and wet, but also two hours of climbing slippery steps was no one’s idea of how things should be done. Sunnydale would more than do.

It was somewhere they should get a decent welcome too, or at least Tara would.

Faith, Willow could tell, was missing the place and wishing she could get back there but… There was opportunity only for one and besides Faith had a life – better described as ‘an existence’ in the circumstances – right here. One that suddenly had more purpose to it than it had a few days ago.

Tara had actually already been back through the portal to consult with her former employer over one, critical matter. Also to call ahead and book transport for them, but that wasn’t the important thing.

The important thing was now slung to Tara’s back.

So it was time for goodbyes and they certainly weren’t as sad as you’d have thought, leaving behind the already-dead. They knew now that there was an existence here, one that was what you made of it – much like life. They had a good life, they’d privately promised each other that they’d have a good afterlife.

That was something that Gray had verbally vowed to apply himself to as well, promising to get out of the caverns and to try some of the other places in this realm. Where there was sun, some kind of pleasant existence that wasn’t tainted by the legacy of the Master’s touch.

Willow hugged him all the same, knowing full well what a thrill he – and all the other already-dead – were getting from their touch. But she was an equal opportunity hugger. Vicky, some of the other Slayers who’d been more visible after they’d taken control, had received the same. Why not the guy who’d helped Tara and Jenny find her? Not to mention what else he’d helped find… She looked at Tara again as her woman shared a moment with Faith.

Much as she didn’t like the girl, Willow knew that those two should’ve been great friends and for much longer than they’d had. Somehow though, you just knew that – one way or another – Faith would’ve always burned bright but briefly…

No one was saying it, but when you said goodbye to the already-dead – as a living person – your mind had to turn to the fact that you’d see them again but it didn’t seem at all morbid. Not now anyway. Not now they understood.

Besides, they more than likely had twice as long together in the real world as they’d already been together and she wasn’t about to argue with those kind of ratios because life so far had been pretty damned good, even given the things that had happened.

“Anything we can say to anyone for you?” Willow made the offer to Gray, only thinking about what she was saying when the words had come out of her mouth. He’d been dead since the seventies and for her to think of approaching someone now? If she was lucky they’d just think she was crazy.

He seemed to understand that without being told. “No. No thanks. I’m – well, now I’m listening to Faith I can go somewhere that world’s not hidden from me anymore. And, besides, everyone who knew me will have moved on with their lives. They better have.

“I’m not even sure I’d recognise them,” he finished.

“Just thought I’d offer,” Willow said, smiling.

“And I appreciate it. You know, I thought you’d be trouble once I heard about you, getting yourself lost and captured on some foolish mission. But… even though you are trouble, you’re okay.”

“For a girl?”

“Umm, yeah.” The way he said that suggested he’d more likely been about to call her ‘old’. This from the boy who remembered disco as being hip and new.

“I try not to be trouble,” she said.

“Well, we’ll try to make sure this is a better place by the time you come back here – and I hope that’ll be a long, long time. No offence.”

“No offence,” Willow replied. “But so do I. If I don’t see you again for a long time, that’ll be too soon.”

“I think your wife wants you,” Gray said, grinning.

Instinctively Willow just hugged him again. Why not? He’d proven himself to be a good friend and those were the sort of people you didn’t hold back from. She didn’t underestimate the personal risks he’d taken for them. In fact she knew it better than anyone. Just because he was dead hadn’t made him immune to the Master’s touch, as too many others here had found out at a cost to their sanity.

With that farewell done she went over to Tara who took her hand but didn’t break off from her time with Faith.

“I was just saying to Faith,” Tara said, “we’ve done good here. All of us.”

“She thinks she has to build bridges between us,” Faith said, rolling her eyes.

“She’s like that, not many people built as many bridges as my Tara who didn’t have ‘bridge-builder’ written on their office door,” Willow replied, even now unable to resist getting the possessive in there. Maybe, down the line, she’d have to share Tara with Faith. A little. That was the way it was when you had good friends. But it’d always be her that her woman came back to.

She’d earned the possessive. Often on her knees.

Often not.

“Maybe, maybe. There’s no problem here any more, between us I mean. I don’t think there ever was,” Faith said. “I think, somehow, I thought I should be giving you shit because of what happened. I didn’t really have a reason for it.”

“I think maybe I expected you to,” Willow said, since they were telling each other those hard truths. “Shock of my life when you walked in and it’s been a pretty shocking life.”

“Ready for another one?” Faith asked.

“Go on.”

“I’ll always be the young, pretty one,” Faith said, smiling smugly. “You guys… I think this is your prime. Probably you’re going to get back here – no matter how far down the line – and look like you are now.”

Willow grabbed her wife, squeezed her. “I can live with that.”

“But you know,” Tara told her. “There still might be a pretty, young version of you out there so I’m keeping my options open…”

“Love you too, bitch,” Willow said. Then she stood a little awkwardly, uncertain whether to hug Faith. It didn’t seem to be on the cards, but then this was about as good as anyone could’ve expected. Wasn’t it? Tara could hug a Slayer for both of them.

“What?” Tara asked as Faith was looking at them a little strangely.

“Don’t take this the wrong way,” Faith said. “But I think, that’s what I missed out on.”

“The wrong way being the lesbo way?” Tara checked.

Faith nodded. “I hooked up a lot and I… well, that’s something you can still do here but… I think I missed out on that sort of thing. What you guys have together, how you are. It’s… cute.”

“You never say ‘cute,’” Tara insisted.

“Well, I just did. You two are ‘cute’.”

“There’s a part of you,” Tara told her, “That thinks that’s an insult.”

Faith laughed. “Maybe, maybe. Get out of here, you’ve got cargo to deliver.”

“And a message,” Willow agreed. The message was just as important. Once the decision had been taken, there’d really been just the question of how to say what had to be said.

“Sure you’ll be okay?” Tara asked, hugging Faith one more time while Willow wondered what hugging a body that hard and tight would be like. Just for a moment though. Idle curiosity and no more than that.

“Nothing can touch me,” Faith said. “I’m five by five all the damn time. And you know it. Now go, before I decide I have to kick you out of here for loitering.”

After rounding Jenny up and checking on the ‘cargo’ the three of the faced the portal. Tara had already been back through it with few ill effects but, of course, they had more to worry about now than just themselves. Plus, who wanted to get through all this and then find themselves transported to a real hell dimension? Or worse…

The goodbyes had dragged on long enough – Jenny had absolutely been in tears leaving Faith behind again - but none of them could resist looking back one more time to a realm that would one day be familiar to them for another reason. That much was certain.

Honestly, it wasn’t somewhere she wanted to be compared to their world, but it needn’t be anything to fear either. Not with the options that Faith and others had assured them were there.

And with the slightest pressure, less than a full step they were… somewhere else.

Willow’s first reaction was to squeeze the hands of both the women next to her. One her wife, one her best friend. They were both there, they were both okay and squeezing back. Test successfully conducted, she could open her eyes.

Next, she went around the back of Tara and reached into the makeshift papoose, drawing out a tiny child they’d found with the same, pallid greyness as the rest of the people in the Halls of the Dead, deprived of a beating heart and pumping blood.

A child that Jenny had recognised through familiarity a few years ago. They’d all known her, they’d all recognised her and they’d been assured – at least Tara had – that this step would…

At first there was no sign of renewed life. “Come on,” Willow said. The child appeared… surprised. But then there was one, shuddering breath.

And another that was easier.

Then a third and collectively they let go of the breaths that they’d been holding because… well, if the worst had happened then there was nowhere that they could’ve gone for help. Nothing that they could’ve done for the tiny one.

Willow hugged the little girl to her, not believing that it had worked. That they’d been told the truth. That they could bring one person back from the other side, given the right conditions.

And that they’d found this little one. “Oh, baby. Shush. It’s okay.”

The child, Charlotte, didn’t seem to think so. In fact she was building herself up from surprised murmurs, up through whimpers to the verge of full on screaming. And who wouldn’t have?

All of a sudden she was alive again, breathing and probably very hungry. Even a child her age had some sort of memory but without the development to make sense of them. Bouncing her gently, trying to soothe the confusion and protests, Willow realised that she wasn’t even feeling her own aches and pains at the moment. Some sort of natural nurturing response kicking in maybe. You could shrug all that off when you had to worry about someone else.

When she and Tara had gone with Faith to take down the Master once and for all – score – Faith had, at the same time, ‘suggested’ that Gray and Jenny pay a visit to ‘the circle.’

From what Willow had heard about it since – they hadn’t visited - she was certain it was quite the saddest place she’d ever thought could exist.

Not terrible because… hey, been a vampire. But the necessity of it.

Everyone died, unfortunately that included all too many children. But in the Halls of the Dead you didn’t age, you didn’t develop so… Well, if you figured it out there were all too many kids who never grew beyond their infancy. Even in a place where you didn’t need to eat, sleep or suffer the effects of time passing that was almost… Well, for it didn’t bear too much thinking about.

The circle was – apparently – where those in the Halls of the Dead did their best for those kids, maybe just until their own parents passed if they were lucky. Perhaps… Again, Willow had to remind herself that it was a different place with different standards and needs. You couldn’t just look at it as a foreign land, but basically the name. The nature of people changed there, and fundamentally. You had to change your mindset because life – or existence – was much longer than a lifetime and any change had to be driven by you, taking personal control.

Kids couldn’t do that. Not at this age anyway.

Maybe she’d get that more when she was an eventual resident, but right now she was only able to focus on what was wrong with that – from her very alive point of view.

The fact that the Master had – only a short time before they got there – violated the sanctity of the Circle and what it meant to the residents of that realm had merely been coincidence. He’d taken hostages to slow them down and give him an edge, but he hadn’t taken Charlotte from there.

Fate hadn’t extended it’s hand that far, but it had done enough that – amongst the near impossible numbers of the dead – Jenny and Gray had finally found this little girl. How? Willow had asked and seen the answer dodged just like any of the detail about that place, but she knew that it had affected her friend deeply.

Gray wasn’t saying and Jenny hadn’t wanted to. Willow had just filed it away as one of those things that you had to see for yourself to understand. Not that they suspected mistreatment but there was something that Jenny just didn’t feel she could talk about or find the words for. Willow could easily imagine that the scene had been overwhelming for their friend, all those kids, well cared for by those who could but lacking their real parents.

And this little girl, proving through her screams that her lungs were just fine, almost certainly wouldn’t remember it… whether that was a good or a bad thing.

All at once the screams stopped and Willow, still bouncing the girl, heard a surprised gurgle, one that verged on delighted as the mood turned on a dime.

“Oh, gosh. A morsel. For me? You really didn’t have to bring me something back.”

The voice was unmistakable, even through the anatomy of a giant snake and Willow turned to see the large head right in front of her. Of course Charlotte didn’t like the view in the other direction and she was forced to adjust her hold and turn back again to keep her happy while Tara engaged the former Mayor in conversation.

“We already had the baby eating conversation, remember?” Tara asked.

“I believe I decided they were the treat I could eat between meals without ruining my appetite?”

Tara, unbelievably, laughed. “Stop,” she said. “Because these people don’t know you like I do. He won’t eat her. Or us. But certainly not her.”

“This is what you went back for?” the Mayor asked, sceptically.

“Not originally,” Jenny replied while Willow felt and watched the little girl strain to reach out to the giant snout – if that was even what a snake had – just in front of her.

Appreciating the requirement – from Charlotte’s point of view – Willow eased back and made sure that she could run her pudgy little fingers over the skin.

Unfortunately the end effect of that was that she found herself in the path of a giant-snake sneeze. Which just delighted the child even more.

Fortunately not a wet one because a bed-sheet wouldn’t have been a big enough handkerchief.

“Gosh, I’m sorry about that,” the Mayor said. “I do believe you told me you were looking for someone’s father. I was going to say that this certainly isn’t that. It’s young, small and, unless I miss my guess, female.”

“Change of plan,” Tara said, brushing Willow’s back with a tissue.

“Thanks, baby,” Willow said, not wanting to know what might’ve been stuck there.

Tara’s reaction suggested that it was more a of a necessity than a favour. Then Willow’s wife turned to the Mayor again. “Thank you, though. We wouldn’t have… Well, we wouldn’t have been able to bring her back without you.”

“There are some privileges to my position,” he said. “Perks of the job you might say. And you’re right, baby eating isn’t one of them. Is it little one?”

The attempt of a giant snake demon to put on a coochy-coo voice for a little girl who was prodding at his face was just faintly ridiculous. Okay, not even faintly. Totally ridiculous. But Charlotte was plainly delighted all the same.

Children could be. Willow still worried about Tara coming here, even though her wife’s former employer had never shown her anything but good faith and even affection. He’d helped them with this too – twice. It was his ritual preparation that allowed Charlotte to cross back over and presumably to snatch at the energy of the Hellmouth to bring her back to life.

And he’d never asked for a thing in return – except for a scratch now and then. Some company, of course, but nothing that you could call a cost.

She’d still never established what Wolfram and Hart had intended her to do under the original version of things. How had that been supposed to work? Had they already arranged passage? Perhaps, but this way was better. This way things had been under their control from beginning to end. No favours had needed to be purchased.

“We want to thank you,” Tara said.

“Yes,” Jenny added, after Tara prodded her. “But – where’s my husband? We left him here.”

“Why does everyone thing I eat people?” the Mayor complained, sensing the concern in her voice. It wasn’t like Jenny had been hiding it.

“Because you do?” Willow said.

“Will,” Jenny said. “Not helping.”

“I do not eat people, I just choose not to define anyone who comes here trying to unleash hell on my town as a person. Demons obviously also don’t count. And – to answer your question, dear lady – I believe that Mister Giles is sleeping in the next chamber.”

Jenny started off, but was corrected by the whirl of the coils around the outside of the chamber, sealing one direction and opening up another. “This way,” he said with a inclination of his head.

She and Tara both followed after their friend, with Charlotte reaching out to stroke the snake skin as they were passing. She seemed to love it. Which was… one day, maybe, they’d remind her of this. And if she remembered it… well, see how she felt then.

As they got a little closer what Willow had assumed were the pipes of the school above them, clarified into the sound of snoring. “How do you live with that?” she wondered.

Tara was virtually silent, though she was prone to bouts of whimpering in her sleep.

“I have ear plugs,” Jenny said. “Watch this though. Wake up, English.” She didn’t raise her voice at all, but on command her husband’s eyes opened.

“What?”

“Guess who’s back?”

“Oh, thank goodness.”

“Pleased to see me?” Jenny embraced him as he started to sit up and needed a little help with that.

“Delighted to see all of you actually,” Rupert replied, stretching after the awkward sleep on what looked like an old sun lounger.

“But what about me?” Jenny pressed.

“You most of all,” he replied smoothly. “Of course.”

“Good. How are things here?”

“Everyone’s okay,” he said, but Willow – no less than Jenny – could tell there was something in the background of that. Something that wasn’t quite as okay as he was making out.

“Okay?” Jenny checked while Tara came and slipped a hand into Willow’s free one.

“There was… Faith may have…”

“Faith did what?” Jenny said, glowering immediately and not afflicted with the same confusion as Willow herself felt.

She – and Tara to be fair – had immediately thought of the Slayer they’d just left behind rather than Rupert and Jenny’s daughter.

There was still – without much reason anymore – a lingering tension between Jenny and her eldest child, who of course had been named in honour of the Slayer they’d just been working with.

That prolonged hoax by Faith on her mother’s assumption that she was wild and behaving badly had only increased tensions, but even when Jenny understood that her daughter had been in a semi-committed relationship for years – right under her nose – that hadn’t really fixed everything.

There was love aplenty there, but there was still that willingness to judge Faith quicker and more harshly than Ben or the other kids. Because she was the eldest, it was like she wasn’t allowed to make any mistakes. At least not what Jenny considered a mistake, and that covered a large amount of ground when it came to Faith.

Rupert, catching his wife’s tone, was forced into explaining. “I may have let slip to Faith – when she asked where you were – that Toni might have… ah.”

“I believe the word you’re looking for is ‘blackmailed’,” the Mayor said. He wasn’t small enough to fit in here, but he could peer into the chamber.

“Thank you, yes. That Toni might have blackmailed Willow into helping her and that you and Tara had gone after her.”

“And…?”

“Your daughter is quite the firebrand, Mrs Giles,” the Mayor said. “You should be very proud.”

“What did she do? And how does he know?”

“Because I was here when the call was made… my hearing really is quite good. I can almost feel the vibrations, rather than hear in the classic sense.”

“What did she do?” Willow repeated for Jenny.

“Faith – ah, I suppose one would have to call it a threat.”

“Definitely,” the Mayor agreed. “I’ve made some threats in my time and that was one of them.”

“Who to? Toni?” Tara sounded like she hoped that was the answer. And Willow knew then just what her wife was afraid of.

“Not really, no.”

“Wolfram and Hart?!” Tara asked. “She called Wolfram and Hart?”

Rupert’s silence spoke volumes.

“You let her do that?” Jenny asked.

“I didn’t let her do anything. When was the last time you ‘let’ her do anything you disapprove of, love?”

“Okay, so what, exactly, did our idiot daughter threaten?” Jenny pressed while Willow cringed on Rupert’s behalf.

“She said that if any of you, especially her mother, failed to come back in the same state in which you left then there would be… dire consequences?”

“Dire,” the Mayor agreed.

“How dire?”

“Better that you just stick with ‘dire’, love,” Rupert said. “Suffice it to say that, perhaps we might want to ask Faith to go spend some time with Tara and Willow. If she’s capable of doing the things she mentioned in the call.”

Rupert looked at them, wanting them to signal that – yes, that would be fine. He was looking for a solution before Jenny got herself involved in the problem.

“Yes,” Willow said hurriedly. “That would be fine – if you think she needs it.”

Faith had that natural affinity for magic which presumably came from her mother’s side of family, but she was totally disinterested in it’s application. At least she always had been. If she’d been making threats – and she rarely made a threat of any kind that she couldn’t back up – then there was perhaps a need to pick up and reemphasise the control lessons they’d given her years before. Just to stop anyone getting hurt.

“She didn’t actually do anything then?” Jenny asked.

“No,” Rupert replied, “and not to change the subject, but I find I must ask – ah, didn’t you set off for Toni’s father?”

“Yes.”

“And isn’t this -”

“Yes.”

“While I can totally understand that, do you think that’s going to be - ”

Tara was the one who interrupted his thought. “After what she did, to all of us, Toni doesn’t get what she wants. No way. No how.”

It wasn’t often that you heard Tara’s tone get that cold. Serious yes, firm definitely. Hard? When the situation merited it. But cold like that? No.

Cold enough that Willow felt the need to hug Charlotte to her. Just hold her.

Chance in *Chance*

Post subject: Re: Sidestep - Third Chronicle (new part 10/24/11)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:14 pm 

Okay, I don't know if you wrote the Mayor's part to be funny. But, he was hilarious! I can just picture him peeking in the room with his big ass head blocking the entire door way....

Katharyn, you big softy....When I went into the adoption process, I clearly stated that I wanted to adopt a African-American boy, between the ages of 7-10. What I ended up with are two biracial girls (black and white but look totally Hispanic), who were 3 and 4 at the time of placement. God does'nt always give you what you want. But, he gives you what you need. Bringing the baby back was the right thing to do....even if Toni does not realize it right away.

Faith G is a pistol! I just pray that she did'nt make any deals with WaH to ensure her Mom's return.

Great update. Eventhough the battle is done, You still manage to provide some huge surprises which will keep things very interesting until the very end...(I sooooo did'nt expect the baby's return)!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:29 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Oh, Katharyn.. Bless your heart!

Also.. Frickin’ A.W.E.S.O.M.E!!!

I’m so happy that Willow and Tara brought back a tiny bundle of love instead of some dude!!

Awww.. Willow should have just hugged Faith and been done with it. The Slayer really has a heart of gold and made sure Willow understood they were 5X5. That’s one thing Willow won’t need to drive herself crazy over. I’ve no doubt Faith would have kicked them out for loitering. It may not have been true when she first said it, but it kind of is her town now.

And then.. Willow gets slimed.. again. She just can’t catch a break from getting dirty, eh? :grin

Two seconds back in the world and Charlotte already makes a new friend! Love the playfulness between the baby and the giant cooing snake. It’s pretty perfect that the former Mayor helped bring a baby to the living world. Family was/is very important to him. He’d do just about anything for Tara and even though he doesn’t expect anything in return, play-dates with Charlotte would be a nice “reward” for his help.

The other Faith.. oh boy. She’s got some moxie, eh? Somehow I don’t think Jenny is going to be too awfully pissed at her for threatening WaH. Another good thing to come out of this mess.. Willow and Tara teaching her how to control her power.

I sure wouldn’t want Tara on my case.. YIKES. Don’t feel sorry for Toni at all. Tara will do what is fair and best for everyone, including Charlotte, and that is all that counts. HOORAY!! They are home!! :)

SMGOVAN, Took care of that posting issue for ya! :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:56 am 
23. Volumey Text

SMGOVAN - absolutely I wrote the Mayor to be funny. He's a genial, if ruthless, guy who already has what he wants. In his own mind he's probably not so funny though.

Believe it or not bringing Charlotte back wasn't always the plan but perhaps some inbuilt sense of justice - or readers - told me to do this instead!

As for Faith G, I always intended to do more with her because I just loved her in the epilogue of SS2. Some Jenny/Faith G conflict would have been fun, but just never came off somehow... but we will see her, in person, before we're done.

Glad you can still find some fun here. Thanks!!

Kajun - it's a good job I didn't bring her Dad back, author lynching is still a crime you know!

As for Faith S, I wonder if I made her too 'nice'? Sure, works this way... But maybe I went too far LOL.

I didn't consciously slime Willow AGAIN, I don't have a thing for Willow and slime cos that make it appear I had issues that I really don't!

And again, I wonder if I should have showed the Mayor being harsher to others, just to contrast how he is with them?

Yup, they are home and now things just have to wind down it there's a few nice endings to come... And some just desserts!

Thanks again. Stick with it a couple more days...

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:01 am 
23. Volumey Text

Title: The Sidestep Chronicles: Third Chronicle (Part 53 (295))
Summary: The confrontation with Toni.
Notes: Confession time, this is another much changed part from the original idea. Now that the cat is out of the bag I can tell you that Mal wasn’t originally dead and neither, actually, was Charlie. In the original version he’d taken the baby away with him because of what Toni was into at work. Now that version actually had a lot more narrative power, it made what she was doing seem even worse, but it did raise the question about what she wouldn’t have done to get her child, rather than her father back. Or as well. And I didn’t want to turn her into a total villainess.
Also though, it meant that to conclude the story I really did have to bring her Dad back anyway and – possibly – also Mal/Charlie. Yeah, narratively that might have been a nice ending. But as we’ve proven from reader feedback… you don’t like her right now! I am hoping you feel a little better about her by the end of this part but… Toni get what she wants? F-that. (Excuse my French for saying ‘flip’ there… yeah, flip.) Why SHOULD she get what she WANTS? She gets what she NEEDS as determined by the others and perhaps gets pushed onto a path that will be better for her.
Finally, this whole end sequence from this point provides an ending to a number of different characters in their own chapters. I’ve played with the order many different times and still am not totally happy but this is the best order I think. So though the story climax comes in this part, I wanted to give you this and then the other endings…
Thanks to: Those who care. Doesn’t matter what you care about. Just care. Also to SMGOVAN who had a great idea in feedback that I didn’t think I could work into the story so late in the process, but I twisted it a little and turned it into part of the intervention. So thanks for that, something so close to the end after you were the one who prodded this story into existing at all. (BTW you can let up with the stick now. Seriously. Stop prodding me! ;) )

Willow had offered not to come with her, but Tara wasn’t having that.

Toni was going to be hit with the reality of what she’d done as well as the reality of what was going to happen next. True, she didn’t anyone softening that for her, or trying to explain what she meant. Nor to try to make it less confrontational. It needed to be confrontational.

Tara knew what she was going to say and would mean every word of it. But Willow not being there would let Toni ignore a big part of what she’d done – at least done most recently…

The girl that they’d rescued as a teenager and given a new life to, who the Giles’ had adopted and so been in their lives ever since, had blackmailed Willow.

And that was what was unforgivable in Tara’s eyes.

Not the danger – they’d have faced that if they’d been asked to. Sometimes danger just happened.

Nor was it about the things Toni had done to earn the ‘chance’ – apparently being misled by her employers that it was the only way to get her father back. Things that… well, if they’d still been the ones who fought the evildoers at every turn in this life then they might well have found themselves fighting those very events. But that wasn’t it.

No, the betrayal was in the fact that Toni had gone to Willow and forced her to do what she wanted, knowing full well what Willow might face. Okay, the younger woman wouldn’t have grasped the specific threats like the Master and inappropriate-touching Willow because she probably couldn’t have known about them – but that didn’t change the overall facts.

And perhaps Toni had even known that she’d have ended up going after her wife. Perhaps she’d even calculated it offered a greater chance of success to have them there together. Certainly Toni knew very well that once she found out then there’d have to have been a confrontation.

They’d had that bust up, but that had been shrouded in concern about Willow and lost something with the after-effects of the teleportation. Did Toni understand then? Maybe, but whether she’d flown or teleported to Manhattan, that angry response had still part of her scheme. A chance to get her out of the way so that Willow could slip off unhindered to do her bidding.

This time it was going to be different. There’d be no doubt at the end that Toni had heard everything she needed to.

She and Willow were here together, and they weren’t here on their own.

“Sweetie,” Willow said. “I know it’s tempting, but please… lets not blow the door of its hinges unless we have to.”

It was only half a joke.

Tara understood that Willow had silently allowed her to build herself up to this moment. One of them had to mind Charlotte and be the more caring, sympathetic face for the benefit of the little girl, if nothing else. On the other hand Toni needed to understand that what she’d done was in no way okay and would never, ever be repeated.

That she wouldn’t allow it. No matter what that meant.

“We’ll ring the bell,” Tara said and then to make the point reached to do so, only to find that the little girl wanted to be lifted up to do it instead.

She looked at Willow. Willow had to be the one to lift her up. Tara was well aware that if she took Charlotte in her arms again now then she’d soften. Toni would come to the door and get the wrong impression. Knowing Toni as she did, what made her a good lawyer, she might even find a way take control of the situation. That wasn’t going to happen.

Charlotte, though she’d just about been talking before she… passed, hadn’t said a word since her return. With so many other reasons for concern, Charlotte appeared healthy and happy enough – especially around the Mayor – but she just wasn’t talking.

One day, she would. It’d taken Willow months to sort her memories and her mind out after coming back from beyond death. Different circumstances and different place – no limbo involved - but Tara was hoping it’d be much easier for the little girl than it had been for her girl. Also, what they could do to get her checked out right now was limited – Charlie was officially dead… How could they explain that away?

Once Charlotte rang the bell, Willow backed out of the doorway and away from obvious sight. Yes, they’d planned this out.

Toni was going to be confronted. In many ways this was going to be something like an intervention. Okay, it was just the two of them – plus Charlotte – but they were going to sort this out here and now. And there wouldn’t be any debate about the terms either.

The door opened and Toni stood there, looking like she’d just arrived back from work despite the fact it was gone ten at night.

*Tara - *

“Inside,” Tara said, walking forwards and making Toni back up and get out of the way or get run down. A subtle change of the air pressure only encouraged that movement.

*What - ?*

“No,” Tara said, “You’re listening to me now.”

Behind her she was aware that Willow had walked into the apartment and Toni couldn’t have missed what she was carrying. Who she was carrying... Maybe Toni would realise that. Maybe she wouldn’t.

*Oh my God - *

“Toni!”

The younger woman was straining past her, trying to push her aside to get a better look. To get to Willow and the infant she was carrying. *Is that - ?*

This time Tara didn’t take anything but compliance as an acceptable answer and pushed Toni bodily into her own apartment, stocking feet sliding over polished floor as the wall of thickened air forced her backwards and away from Willow.

Once she had Toni inside she heard Willow close the door behind them and – according to the plan – taking Charlie into what had been her bedroom. Where all her toys and clothes still were, basically untouched except for a loving – tortuous – dusting now and then.

And a newish bloodstain on the floor where the after-effects of the teleportation had spoiled things and – even though Toni had sent Willow into danger – that had been all that bothered the younger woman about her anger inspired visit.

*Tara, that’s - *

“I know who it is,” she said, drawing herself up to dominate the space between Toni and the door through to Willow and Charlie. “But you aren’t going near her. Not until you show me your fit.”

*What - ? You can’t - ? I’m - *

“You’re nothing to her right now. She died,” Tara said. “It was no one’s fault. She died. Just like he did.”

Toni hadn’t asked about her Dad, the supposed point of all this but then she’d probably have gotten around to it if it hadn’t been for Charlotte.

*I know she died,* Toni’s eyes narrowed as she signed. Her breath expelled almost as a hiss. *Don’t you think I know that?*

“I don’t know,” Tara said. “Because all we heard, once Mal left you and then once he and Charlie were gone, all we heard was about your Dad and then what you did? I don’t know what you knew, what you were still conscious of. I’m not sure I want to.”

*You brought her back?*

“What do you think?”

*Not him?*

“Not him. We couldn’t have brought him if we’d wanted to – I don’t think he was even there and if he was… there was no way to find him amongst millions – billions – of others. But her, your daughter, we found her by chance.

“I don’t believe in chance, not when it comes to things like that. Once the odds are too steep, fate takes a hand. But we found her. We brought her back here.”

*I need to see her,* Toni said.* There were already tears in her eyes. *Let me see her. She needs me.*

“No.” It was heartbreaking, but she didn’t let it show. She couldn’t let it show because that was one step towards giving in to Toni’s very real emotions. She just had to hold onto the anger and make sure that this was the right thing they intended to do.

*What? I’m her mother.*

“No.”

Toni charged at her, something Tara had been ready for – holding that shield of air between them. But once the initial rush was absorbed, she let that dissipate and instead grappled with Toni bodily until the young woman pulled away long enough to sign again. *Let me - *

“Not until,” Tara gasped, regretting the removal of the air cushion too soon, “you prove to us that you can be her mother.”

Toni froze. *What?*

“All her short life, you were still obsessed with your Dad.”

*I tried – I tried to re-negotiate – they wouldn’t let - *

“You were still obsessed with your Dad. You blackmailed Willow. You risked her life. You were still obsessed with your Dad.

“It drove Mal away, at least in part, and you know it. The things you were doing, the effect they had on your relationship with both of them. That was why he left and took her.

“When you didn’t fight for custody… you knew, Toni. You knew he was right, that she was safer away from you. You must’ve done because you never fought like this for her, even then. And it was a factor in them being where they were when it happened. You know that too.”

Tara watched as Toni was confronted with that truth. If she hadn’t been so obsessed, hadn’t done the things she’d done. Mal wouldn’t have left with Charlie. They’d probably still have all being together.

But she wasn’t done. “After she died… you were no better. Worse, because it came to this. If you’d have asked Willow to get her, your daughter I might’ve understood more. You say you wanted to re-negotiate. I know you, you would’ve done – you were still fixated on him and maybe that was partly our fault for not helping you past it. But Toni he died so long ago… I won’t let you see Charlie if you’re going to be the person you are now. I won’t let you ruin her new chance.”

Tara took a breath, waited a moment. But there was no response from the stunned woman. And then…

*What do… what do you want?* Toni was craning, trying to see her daughter.

Toni had to understand this and maybe now she did. Or was she still just excited and not really paying attention? No, this was sinking in. As it needed to.

The fear she’d had about maybe having to restrain Toni again, to stop her from being more forceful about it melted away. Suddenly Toni seemed very much smaller. Shrunken and weak, which was never something they’d associated with her. Not ever, even when they’d first met her fleeing from vampires.

But that wasn’t who Charlie needed either. With what she’d been through, she needed her mother’s strength.

In the right way though. Only the right way.

“You will quit Wolfram and Hart in the morning. You will not serve your notice period, you’re just out. If that causes problems with them, I’ll take care of it.”

*Tara, you have no idea what you’re - *

“I know exactly what I’m saying,” Tara said. She knew what that firm was capable of but if they came after her – or Toni and Charlie – then she’d cost them more than they’d ever make from the move. In fact she’d take an interest in tearing them down, at least in this world.

Like Willow always said, if she put her mind to something – and she had – then anything was possible… It was an interesting bunch of parents that had sent their children to the school over the years. Including some political, judicial and legal figures. Some from the media too. They might not accept clients off the street, but she could cost them some of their big corporate accounts, linked to government contracts. Maybe even stir up some investigations that would hamper their operations and harm their reputation further.

Then there was always more… direct methods.

“You will come and live with the Giles’. You’ll do whatever they find for you to do until we can collectively trust you to be out of our sight. They and the kids, they’ll watch Charlotte while you find something else to do with your life. Or so help me… What you did to her. What you made her face, for you...”

Toni didn’t say anything, but she didn’t turn it down either.

“You will take, love and look after your daughter,” Tara said. “And you will never let her know that what happened to her was anything but a bad dream. If she asks, if she figures it out then we’ll talk about that – find a way to deal with it. But she’s young enough not to have to remember it her whole life so you treat her like she was never away.”

*You won’t even let me go to her,* Toni said, her hands a blur of angry motion to match her face. Impatience was taking over and it was going to stop her hearing what she needed to hear. Or ‘seeing’ it anyway.

“She’s fine with Willow. And you’re not seeing her until you agree to this.”

*They’ll kill us both,* Toni said.

“No, they won’t,” Tara said just as firmly.

*Tell me why they wouldn’t do that, and don’t think anything you can do to them will do more than scratch them.*

“Because there’s no profit in it and you’re not leaving to go to a rival, you’re not stealing clients. You’re just getting out. You’re done with them, done with the law. All of it.”

She watched as the younger woman subsided a little, deflating as Toni seemed to realise she might be right about that.

*What else?* Toni asked.

“You come to me if you need help,” she said. “You come to us. You know you always can. But… apart from that you stay away from me.”

Toni was obviously stung by that, it was like she’d slapped her in the face, but what could she really expect?

“At least until the holidays,” Tara added, even in her anger she wasn’t that heartless. And then there was Charlie to consider. “By Thanksgiving maybe I’ll quit being so mad at you.”

It’d take much longer than that to get over it, but by then – if Toni was being as good a Mom as she could be – she might be able to put the rest of it behind her. See the good and appreciate it, rather than being angered by the bad.

*Tara – My dad - *

“Isn’t what you need to think about right now because, honey, we love you. But if you mention him again…” She shook her head. “If you mention him again I will have you possessed and drag your ass over to the place where we’ve just been. And you can spend as long as youw ant making peace with him and Mal, if you can find them. But you won’t see Charlie again if you do.

“Look, he’s gone. Leave it. Don’t explain. Just leave it. You don’t want me thinking you’re ungrateful. Be thankful for your daughter.”

Toni, face stiff, nodded.

“I want your word,” Tara said.

The long pause wasn’t one that made Tara doubt the outcome.

And watching mother and daughter reunited after so long removed any doubts that she might’ve had.

Any doubts at all.

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:43 am 

I love forceful Tara! All of her conditions were understandale. Toni should quit post-haste..To hell with a two week notice. She deinitely needs to be supervised. So, moving in with the Giles' will help keep her on the straight and narrow. I just hope Faith G does'nt tear off into her ass when she gets there.

I knew Tara could'nt stay totally rigid with Toni. She has every right to hate this woman. But, her heart is to big to carry that burden for long. Plus, i'm sure she and Willow want to be a part of Charlie's life.

Very nice update. There was one part that almost made me want to toss my laptop across the room :crash . When she mentioned her dad (old habits are hard to break I guess), I wanted to scream :fit2 ! But, for Charlie's sake, I pray that she gets it together.

This really is my favorite fiction of alllllllllllllllllllll time. Thank you so much for allowing me to take a small part in shaping the story.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:55 am 
23. Volumey Text

Hey SMGOVAN So sweet of you to say that :) Big smiles here. And don't undersell it. I probably wouldn't have written part 3 if you hadn't prodded me. I'd very much left two previous attempts at it behind (Dragons actually) but when I saw your post in the archive thread it coincided with a burst of creativity and a gap in my writing plans and so here we are. You and others have then definitely shaped some aspects of the story too...

Who doesn't love forceful Tara? (Willow does!) I was tempted to put her in leather but... nah, that would've changed the reader perception a little too much LOL.

Since Toni isn't a 'villain' but more of a victim that causes problems for others, I couldn't do much more to her than this. Besides, I have a soft spot for her. She was my first serious, large part to play, original character. That's something that's commonplace for me now, writing my own stuff, but back then? It meant a lot that I could do that and never have her be totally sympathetic. She's always had an edge to her and I think she's stayed pretty consistent to that.

As for Tara... not sure she could've done anything else either :) No matter how you feel about Toni, would you really have wanted Tara to smack her down hard at this stage in a story with no time to get back from it? I think when it's someone kind of like a sister/kind of like a daughter... it would've been way harsh and made Tara into someone I didn't want her to be - which is why the reader reaction to Toni didn't shape this much at all. Y'all were (understandably) having a reaction, but to follow through on that to the extent you talked about would've just not been Tara at all.

Thanks so much. Quite possibly another part tonight. Five parts and two days to post them in... I will have to look at where they fit best together.

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:44 am 
23. Volumey Text

Title: The Sidestep Chronicles: Third Chronicle (Part 54 (296))
Summary: What? You think I forgot Ethan?
Notes: I know, I know, another ending part… but I set this up right back at the start and it needs to be paid off here. Nor is it too long. So, in a late switch, I brought this forwards a couple of parts. In a movie you’d actually have this be the very last part and then fade to black, but here I want T/W to be the final part so this has to balance amongst the other endings.
Thanks to: To those who didn’t decide they liked Ethan (in fact he was the first of many conspiracy theories) and so would’ve been upset by his eventual fate here…

Ethan’s progress back through the city had been slow and deliberate. He’d been in no particular hurry to return to the Citadel and in two minds about whether to actually return at all.

He was known there, of course and being known had hardly ever been a good thing in his line of work. Reputation could help get you work, of course, but the flip side of that coin was some spectacular whippings of his posterior.

On the other hand, he’d hardly been considered what were now being referred to as ‘acolytes’ of the former vampire overlord, but he’d undertaken tasks and sought favour to keep from coming to the personal attention of either vampire.

That shouldn’t have made him public enemy number one in anyone’s estimation but he didn’t believe in taking chances. The presence of dozens – maybe hundreds - of Slayers and a fair few Watchers who were trying, without much success, to reassert their authority over the girls raised the possibility that someone might’ve recognised him. Do-gooders, the lot of them.

Old Ripper wasn’t the only Watcher he’d crossed paths with over the years. Back in the other world he’d gravitated to the same sorts of places as the Slayers and their old men. A few might have cause to remember him.

But this was a brave new world. There was little they could do to him anyway, no matter what they thought they knew, without undermining the basis of their now torture-free society. Civilisation had its price, after all. If there were rules, then the rules had to apply to everyone. He’d learned a long time ago to protect himself from punishment by using their own standards against them.

Before you knew it the living might come back and once that happened… There were always going to be some ladies who appreciated a nice shirt and some well chosen words. He could only imagine how a good rogering of a living woman who appreciated a man who knew what he was doing would feel here…

Imagine and anticipate.

Women had, of course, always been his weakness. Perhaps his downfall too, given how things had turned out.

The Citadel, vast as it was, had already been cleansed of many of the signs of the old regime. Wall hangings composed of human… parts had gone. Large mobiles of suspended bodies… gone. Burned offerings… gone.

The candles remained and – at the heart of the place – the large throne that the Master had built for himself.

But this was no longer the heart of things. There were people here, but no centre of attention. The symbolism had faded away once the personality at it’s heart had lost his authority, his power and his liberty.

Of the other vampire there was no sign, but plenty of rumours. But everyone knew exactly where the Master was.

Or what was left of him.

The Slayer’s had him again after a period when he’d been in the hands of his own acolytes. A sign of weakness or compassion?

He walked up to the throne and ran his hand over it, noticed and then absently scratched at what was left of his old tattoo once again. It’d been bothering him for nearly a week now and all at once, he realised why. Not even needing to turn around.

“Hello, Eyghon.”

“Ethan Rayne.”

The presence was behind him but it really didn’t matter where it was… he was isolated here, devoid of cover and with no where to run that would get him away from its attention. No walls or doors he could put between them.

“You have no hold over me,” he said, not looking at it. The spot where the tattoo had once been itched abominably.

“Really?”

“I delivered another for the mark I removed,” he replied.

“Yes, you did.”

“So our bargain was complete.”

“Yes.”

“Then…?” Why was it here? Why was it bothering with him now?

And how…? It had no place here unless it had ridden someone in…

“You cheated me, Ethan. You were the one who benefited from the deal that was made, you and your three friends. You were the one who suggested backing out on my payment. You were the one who ran the farthest and the longest. You were the one who gave me another in exchange for yourself.”

“And here you are…”

“Here I am.”

“There’s a throne here,” Ethan said, taking a seat in it. “Power to be had.” Of course that meant he had to view it. The demon was making no attempt to conceal it’s nature or it’s appearance. Vaguely human shaped, with two arms and two legs, it was nonetheless not human. Very clearly not.

When it had first come to them, before they’d understood what they were dealing with… Oh… It had disguised itself, worn the skins of others who gave it access for short periods. Beautiful young students. Handsome young men for Deirdre.

It’s been like fucking a tiger, and then to have them again with the demon inside… Ohhh, it was no wonder they’d made the bargains they had. But they, the four of them hadn’t stopped with simple pleasures, minor corruptions that it would sell for a few hours in your body and mind. Oh no. He and Ripper had realised what it could really give them…

And they’d made the right bargains.

Now though…?

“And I imagine you’d help me?” Eyghon asked, pus oozing from the open sores.

“Absolutely.”

“Whatever happened to your worship for chaos?” Eyghon asked. “I remember it so clearly. I enjoyed it.”

“It’s really just more of a strong preference these days,” Ethan admitted. Death certainly changed your perspective on most things. You were left with memories of who you were when you were alive but your thought processes were different. More conservative perhaps, at least in his case.

“Do you expect that you’d be anything less than surprised by what I want with you?”

“Death isn’t much of a surprise,” he said, looking up into the true face of the demon. “I think I preferred you as Dierdre.”

“You always did like her,” Eyghon replied. “No matter who else I gave you, it was her that you really wanted. But she’s in here, with me… at least a part of her. The part of her that still screams.”

“You can’t do this. The bargain was - ”

“You’re dead, I can do what I want with you now.”

“You could rule this place,” Ethan said, understanding the truth and trying to find some other way around it.

It took his hand, almost tenderly. Sliding that scaly claw up to the acid-scar that had been his binding with the demon.

“I don’t want power,” Eyghon told him, piercing the skin and tracing the mark back into existence. Ethan looked down and saw that the skin had changed inside the roughly drawn mark. Darkening, the ink returning as if flowing from its claw.

But it didn’t hurt anymore. It didn’t itch.

“I want you,” Eyghon said and stood up from the throne.

Inside, it could hear Ethan scream just like all the others.

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:05 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

And again you sneak in and post an update while I'm trying to get my act.. I mean feedback together. Don't wanna deprive you of feedback tho, since you're a.. deserving author. :grin

Katharyn, Tara was way too easy on Toni. I would have confronted her without revealing Charlie right away. Let her know that her actions put three lives at risk, that Willow got hurt, they all nearly died and no, they did not, could not, find her dad. And that was to be the end of it. WaH lied to her, used her. Rake her over the coals for not caring about anyone but her dad, that everyone on the planet has lost loved ones including Tara. The Giles’ took her in and loved her like she was their own. That she was loved by Willow and Tara and the entire Giles family. Demand she quit the firm and start a new life. Or else I would make it my person mission to destroy WaH and everyone that works for them.. starting with her! Inform her “we” established connects there and when Toni meets her end, they will ensure she never finds her dad, for eternity. Tell her she has a choice. Then bring in the baby.

Of course.. I’m evil that way.

Tara did the right thing.. the right way. Toni has spent years upon years with WaH. She knows what they are capable of. It will be a while for her to fully understand that Tara really can go up against the firm and be victorious. That she will be safe with the Giles family and that a happy life, without her father, is absolutely possible. Tara gave her the safety net she needs to take the first step in moving on. The support of her adopted family. She won’t be alone. Ultimately, Tara did give her a choice: Go to the hotD to search for her dad alone, or be with her daughter and extended family. And finally.. Toni does the right thing.

I admit, it was hard to see Toni’s desperation to reach Charlie. If she hadn’t tried to push past Tara and gotten angry for being prevented from immediately reuniting with her daughter, I would have toasted her ass right then and there! Tara and Willow would have made excellent parents for the little tyke! There’s still time for the dynamic duo to have one of their own.. hint-hint. Anyhoo.. hooray for second chances!

Off to read the new chapter.. more later..

New part:

HaHa.. Ethan got his just deserts. And so did Eyghon :D Funny that Ethan tried to tempt the demon with power. It’s clearly got plenty of that already. Loved the imagery of the tattoo coming back to “life” right before Eyghon swallowed him whole. You got me rooting for the badder bad guy.. well done!

The Slayers aren’t wasting any time cleaning the place up. And I’m sure glad they are resisting the control of the Watchers. I never had much use for those clods.. with the exception of Giles, naturally!

Oh yeah.. also liked the tie in with Ethan’s sudden itchy/scratchy-ness while escorting Willow to Eyghon’s presence in the hotD.

Getting sad now.. knowing this epic fic will be over soon.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:46 pm 
23. Volumey Text

And I appreciate your split feedback so I am not deprived and get what I decide :)

Once again, dramatic requirements feeds into the way that you can handle these things in the story - at least me. That was behind revealing Charlie, though I can pretty much guarantee that those things haven't gone away. They'll be a part of them dealing with Toni later (that we won't see.) I don't disagree with you at all though on the things that need raising.

But at that point Toni is still a player. She's at WaH and a power in her own right. You have to be careful how you deal with that. You have to have your cards on the table.

Love your point about the safety net, great way of putting something I hadn't quite thought about that way.

The HotD option came direct from the feedback a couple of parts ago though. The late and final addition... :)

Sidestep Babies? Now? Nooooooooo

We're back on track for two parts a day now. So no sneaking past you again :)

Thanks

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:54 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Ahh! You've already posted again Kajun.

The Eyghon part was fun to do. Like I said in notes, on film that would've been the fade to black or post credits snippet. But in the written version I like the new balance I've set up... A couple of 'soft' parts, then one back with the 'bad guys' before the final T/W part...

Glad you enjoyed it :)

You couldn't really see Slayers following Faith's lead looking to Watchers for guidance can you? I don't know, maybe they should though... Faith's not much for book learning.

Must admit that the redraft process is the saving grace of a story like this. It's very hard to insert such through things as the itch in the original draft and remember to carry it through. However in redraft its much easier to pick these things up and make sure they factor in. Redraft is even more important than beta (which I no longer have!)

I'm getting sad too. I'm about to go cold turkey and no doubt making that worse with the OD on the way to it... Feedback whore... LOL

Thanks so much. Two more days... Four more parts

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:30 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Yes.. I snuck in to edit/add and I saw you here.. I’m a sneaky mod that way. :wink I’m fairly certain you must have been in the process of composing a reply while I was resubmitting. LOL. Glad you caught it though! Didn’t want you to think I was being a big slacker!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:25 pm 

I'm sure this isnt the 'rogering' Ethan had in mind. But, he's fucked all the same!!! You really could'nt go all hardcore on Toni and you did'nt lay the smack down on Henry boy. So, thank you for letting Eyghon rough Ethan up. He was a real bastard and deserves exactly what he got!....One question for Eyghon....Does he taste great? Or, was he less filling?

Are you gonna address the Vamp Willow situation? I would also love to see a little Tillow/Wara Rosenberg-Maclay :baby ! But, I know this isnt Burger King. So, we can't have it our way.....4 more..... :depressed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:35 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Doesn't it just make you wish for a fic where you never knew how much more there was or how long it'd take just to get the next part? LOL

Eyghon hasn't actually 'eaten' Ethan in terms of gulping him down... just 'absorbed' him. A much more extreme form of possession as I look at it. NOt sure if you thought that, SMGOVAN?

There's no time for a T/W baby here! Also... I'm not sure that's something I'd like to write. On the other hand I never wanted to write them married either but now I have and more...

Kajun - I don't think you have to SAY 'sneaky mod' I thought 'sneaky was just part of the mod job description?

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:37 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Title: The Sidestep Chronicles: Third Chronicle (Part 55 (297))
Summary: Tara and Willow with Faith Giles.
Notes: Okay, mostly, and just to make it confusing this part largely deals with Jenny and Rupert’s daughter, Faith. Not the Slayer we’ve just seen… I mean, damn, if I had known I was going to do this I’d have avoided naming the girl after the Slayer!
Why are we back with her? Well, she’s a favourite ‘original’ character of mine. In the epilogue of the Second Chronicle I really loved the dynamic she had with… well, everyone. I also simply loved the idea that someone Tara and Willow had known as a baby was a grown woman, interacting with them in her own right.
Finally since I’d put her out there as a threat to W&H (however minor) during this story I felt she needed some closure. And since we’re close to the ending that closure should be a happy ending for her. Yes, this is yet another ending… but it’s also tying up those loose ends so there’s no need to come back!
Of course the addition also gave me one more step towards 300… This part is really my one indulgence. The rest of the story has stayed pretty tightly written, without the ‘sidesteps’ I was once doing quite frequently (that is where this series came from, indulging myself with a ‘sidestep’ in my first fic). I don’t apologise for it ?
Like the other other parts from 296 through 299, this has been moved around to give better balance between the cuteness and the remaining ‘tension’ ?
Thanks to: Bearing in mind what I just said, those who are willing to indulge me.

“Hey you,” Willow said, hugging their visitor. “Make that you two.” She had to correct herself when she noticed the other young woman.

Tara looked around, Faith. The other Faith – see, now this was complicated, they had two Faith’s to talk about again. But this one, the one who she’d bounced on her knee – and hated to be reminded of it at embarrassing moments – had turned up with Angela, her girlfriend.

Fair enough, this was still her home. She and Willow were the guests here at the Giles house so they shouldn’t have been at all surprised really.

Last she’d heard though, there’d been a suggestion that maybe the pair of the were having problems, Faith and Angela. You wouldn’t have known it if it was true. They looked… Actually, they looked loved up.

Aside from that they looked good together and always had. They were one of those couples who just looked as if they fitted together.

Angela’s guide dog would be downstairs, of course, but their other former pupil knew her way around the house well enough by now. And she had her free hand firmly clasped in Faith’s even if she didn’t. Nope, no need for a seeing eye dog here.

“Angie,” Tara stood to greet her. “It’s been too long since we saw you. Now I warned you about that – didn’t I? You don’t have to wait for this one to say it’s time, you know?”

“Mrs Rosenberg-Maclay,” Angela replied only to be met by three, polite and not at all subtle coughs. “I’m sorry, I mean – Damn, Tara?”

“Damn Tara?” Faith teased. “That’s – baby, that’s just not nice.”

“No, not damn Tara. Damn – comma – Tara. I mean, damn – I wish I could remember to call you – I just wish I felt comfortable - ”

Tara was the one who silenced the always slightly nervy girl, hugging her tightly – which was just as awkward for her with the two girls clutching each other’s hand. Also, the whole ex-student thing was going on and that hesitancy, the necessary distance that had once needed to exist now needed to go away... But that was her thing to deal with.

“Just going to have to get used to it, I guess,” Faith said.

What was that now? A little smile from Angie. They were – whatever their previous status had been – properly back together then? That had to be good. Faith hated to be told so, but they’d always been the sweetest couple when they were together.

That was probably a good chunk of the reason why young Miss Giles had led her mother a merry dance, convincing Jenny that she was sleeping around with practically everyone she could think of rather than admit the simple truth.

Took two to tango though, Jenny had been just as complicit in that conflict when she chose to believe the worst of Faith.

“Don’t take this the wrong way,” Willow said while Tara offered and gave Faith a hug too. “But – what are you doing here? Now, I mean?”

“How couldn’t I be here? After what happened? What with Toni and – God, you really got Charlie back didn’t you? I mean… I saw it, but she doesn’t look any different.”

“Yeah, we did that. Us and your Mom, but we had some help.”

Tara glanced at Angie, wondering what she really knew. She’d grown up around them, but that was a far cry from knowing what the world was really like.

“You threatened Toni?” Faith whispered.

“We made her see sense,” Willow said, graciously taking on some of that responsibility.

Willow had been there, in the apartment, after all. The actual ‘threat’ had come from her though.

“She’s really quitting?”

“She’d better,” Tara replied.

“Good.”

“What else is it?” she asked. There was more than just a social call, even in these circumstances. It was written all over Faith’s face. And why drag Angie up here? They could have met just as easily downstairs, later. When the kids were hanging around, they’d either done something or they wanted something. She didn’t see any evidence that had changed just because they were getting older. “Come on, spill it.”

“My Dad… Dad said I had to come and see you guys. He said he’d told you what I did?”

“I don’t want her doing that again,” Angie said, squeezing her girlfriend’s hand. “I don’t.”

See… it was so unbearably sweet that you just couldn’t help wanting to go ‘awww’ or maybe ‘squee’. There was something significant in there though, did Angie really know everything then?

Had she been let in on all of it? She’d been in Faith’s life a long time already but the Giles’ eldest child had always pushed aside anything to do with the mystical despite the fact she’d probably have made a talented witch. They’d made sure Faith knew how to be careful from a young age, but she didn’t actively participate in… anything.

Until very recently she’d started throwing threats around. And… she’d started big with that.

“He told us,” Willow said. “He said you called up Wolfram and Hart.”

Faith took a breath. “Yeah…”

“But it sounds like you thought better of it?” Tara suggested. That could only be a good thing.

“I – look, well you’re back now so I can – but… Damn, I can’t believe Toni did that to you guys and when I found out… I may have overreacted. Just a little.”

“You scared me,” Angela said.

And that obviously pained Faith, she was quick to console, kiss and move closer to Angie. Again with the ‘awww.’ Not so much the ‘squee’ though.

“I think I scared myself,” Faith said. “I know I scared Dad.”

“He’s right,” Willow said. “If you’re going to even talk about what you’d do – bring yourself to their attention, you need to know what you’re doing. You can’t just sit on power like that and hope you never get angry again. You don’t want them noticing you, but if they did – and they will have – you definitely don’t want them paying attention.”

“I know, so… that’s part of why I’m here. You tell me what I need to do, to control it – to put it away again, and I’ll do it.”

“Fair enough,” Tara said. “You know we’ll do whatever we can now you’ve asked.”

“Yeah… about that.”

“About what?”

“Asking, I mean. About asking.”

“Hmm?”

“Well, we were wondering what you were - ” Faith hesitated, broke off from what she was saying and thought of a different way. “No, more like – is anyone using the school grounds next summer? Around the lake? Say… August? Say, the weekend before Labor Day?”

“Just… say? You want to actually name a time?” Willow asked.

It was obvious to Tara that Willow hadn’t thought about what she was saying. More to the point, she hadn’t looked at Faith and Angie. Not properly. “Oh… you little…”

“What?” Willow asked. “What did I miss?”

Both of their grins were enormous and by now even Willow was starting to get it. “No way…”

“I say way,” Tara told her.

“No way.”

Faith looked embarrassed. “Way. Definitely way. We – we’d like to name a day. If you don’t mind and everything would be okay – and - ”

“You want to get married at the school?” Tara asked, letting the younger girl off the hook of having to explain. “In the grounds?”

They already had a big marquee for fundraisers and the scenery in the grounds, with the river and the little man made lake…

“Yeah, well… we both kind of grew up there and we met there, obviously and our friends know it… Plus it’s dog friendly. But - we – we were talking about the future. You know about what happens when I graduate and when Angie is in her senior year? And then beyond that. And we - ”

“I know I was being unfair when I told her that I didn’t want her to go away,” Angela said.

“That’s not unfair,” Willow said. “That’s just wanting to be with her. So you decided to get married? I mean – it’s great, I know I don’t regret it, but it is a big step. You want to be doing it for the best reasons.”

“Nothing can hurt us if we’re doing that.” Faith said. “We know that maybe we shouldn’t have been worried – but if we’re getting married, if we’re getting ready for that then I can go get an internship wherever it comes up and Angie can finish school without worrying about what I’m - ”

“I don’t worry about that,” Angela said, cutting her intended off.

“I know – I’m sorry,” Faith said, “That just came out wrong.” Then turned back to her. “So… can we?”

“You have to make a contribution,” Tara said. “You know that, right?”

“How much - ” Faith started to ask. “I mean – I don’t want to ask Mom and Dad for - ”

“Gotcha,” Tara said and finally got her hands on the pair of them. “Oh, god. I’m – we’re so happy for you two.”

“It’s brilliant,” Willow added, hugging Angie who’d finally been forced to let go of Faith. “As for the grounds and the marquee and everything, it’s our wedding present. One of them anyway.”

“Hey, missy,” Tara said, embracing Angela again once she’d given up Faith. “That’s my school you’re offering up so freely.”

“Well,” Willow said. “Isn’t it, our present I mean?”

“Of course it is. We never thought we’d have to offer anything up for you though,” Tara teased, pointing at Faith.

“You tamed her,” Willow said to Angela. “Nicely done.”

“Oh yeah,” Angela said. “She’s mine now.”

“You don’t have to look so smug,” Faith protested. “Seriously, stop looking so smug, baby.”

“Is this my smug face?” Angela was actually grinning like the Cheshire cat.

It was a weird dynamic that these two had, utterly unexpected to most people who met them.

Faith was the one who was the more outgoing and always had been, the one who’d deliberately cultivated a reputation – if not a reality – for being… ‘easy with her affections.’ The one who fought like cat and dog with her Mom while Angie was this… seemingly meek little mouse of a girl who got nervous and apologetic over the slightest thing and yet… in their relationship, Angela was the driving force. Totally and utterly.

Sometimes Faith chafed against that, not that she wanted to break free but it just brought them together as opposites, rather than like-minded people. And between the two of them, Tara had observed that there was some ‘role reversal’ going on. Yes, Angie had probably been a little jealous and a little afraid of something – or someone – coming between the two of them if they had a year apart.

But that wasn’t a criticism; it was a very real possibility. Life sometimes happened that way. “You proposed didn’t you?” She asked the question of Angela, rather than Faith.

“No, she didn’t propose,” Faith replied, knowing where she was going with it.

“She’s right, I didn’t,” Angie confirmed.

“But… Come on, spill it.”

“I quote,” Faith said and coughed theatrically. “‘So… hey, wanna get married?’”

“Oh,” Willow said. “That’s romantic. That’s just… wow, when I hear about something like that, my heart just melts. I’m tearing up, right now.”

“Don’t joke about it, love,” Tara said. “You really are.”

And she was too.

No matter what Toni had been to them, sister/daughter and traitor more recently… Faith was the one who really was like their eldest child. Maybe Jenny had given birth to her, but… in every other way, they’d been in her life all this time. This was their baby that was getting married and for a large chunk of that Angie had been in her life too – at their school – so this was… they were both their kids in a very real way. So it was good to see them so happy, especially after everything that had happened recently.

“I want her safe Mrs – Tara,” Angela said. “I want her safe. And if that means she has to learn about that stuff that you do, I want her to.”

“I never meant what I said to them,” Faith said. “The lawyers, I mean. I didn’t mean it.”

“This falls into the spilt milk category,” Willow said. “Well, I’m sorry but it does. You suggested to them that you had some power and of course they’re going to be interested. Of course they are.”

“I don’t want it,” Faith said.

“Doesn’t matter,” Willow said while Tara was trying to show her lover that she should just shut up. This wasn’t what Angela needed to hear. Not now. But that was one of her own rules she was breaking – it was rude to do that kind of thing around a person who couldn’t just turn around and notice.

Bad Tara. No cookie.

“If they’d taken you too seriously, you’d be buried in lawsuits right now and your service might’ve been the only way out. Since you’re not, you didn’t rile them up but they’re going to be interested. They’re going to investigate. Especially with your family background and all. Your Mom’s family, what your Dad used to do. Us. But it won’t turn bad,” Tara said. “It won’t. They don’t pressgang anyone into working for them. You’d get a job offer, a contract. That’s where they get you. So long as you never choose to work for them you’ll be fine.”

“You’re sure?” Angela asked.

“Sure as I can be, even after all this – that’s what they did for Toni. That’s how they got her. She chose to be got so she could get something she wanted back. That’s just the system and they play it well.”

“Is that right, Willow?” Angie asked.

Studiously Tara avoided her wife’s eyes. She wanted Willow’s reassurance, if there was one, to come from her. Not some behind the scenes communication.

“I guess, yeah. It makes more sense that way. But that doesn’t mean that Faith can go around losing control, I guess that’s why your Dad sent you up here and – oh you bad, bad girls, you didn’t tell them about the wedding yet did you?”

Tara blinked, caught up in Willow’s warning and then catching on to what she’d just said. “Tell me you didn’t leave them to find out after us…” she said.

That was… no, that would be bad. That would be Jenny-bad.

“Not deliberately!” Angie said. “I mean – we were all about to and Mister Giles started to talk about all this other stuff and it kind of wasn’t the right time but then we wanted to know about the school grounds so we could decide on the date and – everything just got out of hand. We didn’t tell you either.”

“You just sort of guessed,” Faith completed.

“Because you’re happy as clams. Two clams. Clams holding hands and grinning from ear to ear,” Willow said.

Tara didn’t bother to point out that clams didn’t have hands and she was pretty sure they didn’t have ears either. Willow knew that and just didn’t care. Because she was a linguistic rebel that way. Her wife had two very different ways with words. When she was on message she could deliver a killer presentation, close a sale with the product and how it was conveyed. Get away from the script and… madness still occasionally ensued.

“We’re telling your Mom, right now,” Willow said.

“No,” Tara corrected. “We’re not.”

“We’re not?”

“You’re not?”

Willow and Faith were both confused.

“No,” Tara said. “You’re telling her, honey. The two of them. I don’t think… I don’t think they had any idea.”

“Really?” Angie sounded stricken.

“Okay, she put that badly,” Willow said.

Tara had to reflect that occasionally she was as prone to a lacklustre way with words too. Sometimes she didn’t say what she meant and sometimes she didn’t mean what she’d said. “We knew – we hoped – I mean – you’ve tongue-tied me. We all wanted this – especially your Mom, Faith. But we had no idea you were this ready…”

“Neither did we,” Angie said, seeking – and getting – a kiss.

“You’re still telling them,” Tara said. “Right now. Please. We’re not having more secrets around here. Secrets are bad, okay?”

Despite a significant glance at Willow, she was still in time to catch Faith, sucking in a breath ready to bellow to the rest of the house. “Uh-uh,” Tara said, interrupting her. “This is not something you shout about – okay, it is but not like that.”

“You don’t shout about what now?” Jenny asked, slipping into the room. Her eyes narrowed, just as they often did with Faith involved. “And what’s going on here?”

“Where’s Rupert?” Tara asked. Okay, that just made her even more suspicious. Good going, girl…

“What. Is. Going. On?” Jenny repeated, catching on immediately to the ‘something really is happening vibe.’

“Faith and Angie have some news - ” Willow started.

This was one of those moments people used to go ‘Doh’ about wasn’t it? There weren’t that many kinds of news two people of a similar age could have. Pregnancy – not likely in the circumstance though with what Jenny had believed about her daughter... Breaking up – also not likely since they looked like nervous loved up kids – albeit with a side of mild terror. Marriage, possibly with pregnancy on the side if you wanted to be traditional about these things, was the other.

“No way.” It was pure disbelief that was in Jenny’s voice, certainly not objection. Faith’s mother was totally shocked, which after the last few days at least proved she hadn’t become immune to it. Then Jenny was the one who bellowed, “English! Get your ass up here.”

The rest of them shared looks. “What?” Jenny asked.

“Shouting, Tara said I couldn’t shout.”

“You can’t. I can, my house and my man. When you get your own – house not man – you can and oh, my god congratulations!”

Finally Jenny had bubbled over, without even waiting for her husband to arrive.

Grabbing Angie and pulling her into a hug, the next thing any of them heard was “You’re going to be so good for her.”

Tara glanced at Faith, it was the sort of thing that – once upon a time – she’d have been ticked about, that someone needed to be good for her. That there was something wrong.

Actually, she was smiling. More to the point, she seemed to agree. Angie would be. Just as Willow was good for her.

No matter who and how you were, you could always be better with the right person at your side.

Chance in *Chance*

Post subject: Re: Sidestep - Third Chronicle (new part 10/25/11)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:28 pm 

This update totally deserves a great big awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! How very sweet. I really liked Jenny's reaction...I really loved Faith's reaction to Jenny's reaction. Saying something or someone whould be good for her would have set Faith G off in the past. It's nice to see how much they have evolved.

I guess I can be satisfied with the Girls looking at Faith and Angie as their surrogate daughters :eyebrow .

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:15 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Katharyn, Awwww... I'm feelin' all mushy now. I loved the non-proposal. Sometimes the question just can’t be held in long enough to plan a -down on one knee with a heartfelt speech and ring- type of setting. Between Jenny, Willow and Tara, the wedding day is going to be quite the celebration. Faith and Angie probably won’t have to lift a finger.. until it’s time for the rings! Looks like Jenny’s relationship with Faith is gonna be a whole lot better now that she knows Faith is growing up and settling down.. and agreeing to work with Willow and Tara. The way Jenny called to Giles was absolutely hilarious. Proud parent indeed! Geez.. already starting with the water-works but at least they are happy tears. :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:43 am 
23. Volumey Text

SMGOVAN - This kind of reaction is exactly why I had to re-order the parts. Too much awwwwww in one bundle wouldn't work too well. What can I say? I have pretensions of art, LOL.

Jenny vs Faith is precisely why I made sure to include this. I just love their imperfect dynamic.

And yeah, as I said, I'm about as far off writing TW baby fix as I am having babies! LOL

Thanks muchly as ever

Kajun - true, the nearest thing I got to a proposal resembled this scene rather more closely!! And it's lasted me a while ;)

As for the wedding, I think it could be quite a party. Faith and Jenny drinking? Telling stories? Ohhhh yeah.

And to your latter point, can you think how else Jenny would call him after 20+ years? LOL

Did you mean you were crying? Yikes! Don't start me off!

Thanks for everything. Still two more after the one about to follow this post

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:44 am 
23. Volumey Text

Title: The Sidestep Chronicles: Third Chronicle (Part 56 (298))
Summary: Faith’s finale… because you just can’t do this without it.
Notes: Just to switch back to the Slayer, Faith, and give her some closure. After all, she should get one really good in-character moment.
I think, though I’d never be like her, Faith was one of the sexualities I most admired off TV and she wasn’t even into girls. It was her attitude that just said ‘this is for me’ and that was something that was special compared to the simpering lead of the show…
I hate little ending lines like the one in this part but hey, it’s just a flavour of Faith’s existence… I mean, no less a light than Willow labelled her a ‘slut bomb’ and I reused the line more than once. Who am I to argue? From Faith’s point of view, THIS is what a happy ending should be.
Thanks to: All the Faith’s who boosted my part count to 300. And the people who thought Gray was a bad guy… I never wrote any of that into him you suspicious bunch. I only hinted at it in feedback because you’re such a suspicious bunch, and never edited a single line of his because of it. Now – in his last appearance - do you finally believe?

“What’s up, dead boy?” Faith asked after watching him silently for a few minutes, furnishing the room which was going to serve as the command centre for the patrol organisation. Seeking out and carrying furniture they could use suited him and no one else really wanted to do it.

Only when he noticed her did she actually speak up though, until then she’d been willing to just keep her eye on him.

“You’re just as dead as me, you know?”

Faith smirked, looking him over one more time. “Not below the waist, I’m not.”

“Huh?” he sounded confused, but could she really be much more obvious? The guy had been ignoring her for… too long for comfort. Ordinarily she wouldn’t have paid too much attention, a girl like her had… options. But here, away from the place she’d called home for a few days…

Options were thin on the ground and Jenny was right. He did have a great butt.

“I don’t act that way,” she clarified. Okay, she hadn’t been totally up front about her expectations, keeping her voice low. But for the first time in a while she was getting frustrated and frustration just added to the itchiness. It was an itch that she was determined to get scratched and right now there was only this one candidate.

“And what’s that supposed to mean?”

“Moping around here,” she replied. “You could do much better for yourself than this.” Namely, he could get done by her.

Evidently that wasn’t enough of a hint for him because he changed the subject. Maybe it was his brain that was dead, on the other hand it wasn’t his brain she was interested in. “You girls found anything?”

He was talking about the Slayers of course. Kids, most of them, and so few spoke American. “They’re still cleaning up the Master’s mess,” she said, waving it off.

“And you?”

“I’m still fending off the Watchers for them.”

“Is it me, or is that name just a little creepy?” he asked.

“Watchers?”

“Sure.”

“They’re not watching after us,” Faith told him. “You don’t even want to know what would happen if one of them had tried to get creepy with us. We’re not exactly helpless, you know? But say what you like about the old coots, the Council picked em right. None of them I ever heard of even thought about that sort of thing.”

“I noticed. That you’re not helpless, I mean”

And was that why he was down on her, but not in a good way? Was it just that he couldn’t deal with the idea of a strong woman? Was that really such an alien concept to him? No, she didn’t think so.

But he probably had – whatdyacallit – gender roles he’d grown up with. He’d been dead since before she’d been born and she’d come across more than a few people here – men and women – who had some pretty fucking strange ideas about what they were supposed to be doing with their lives.

And their deaths.

“So you staying here?” she asked finally. “In the caverns?”

“I don’t know where else to go.” He was fidgeting, avoiding her eyes.

Might be that was progress…

“But you want to leave,” she concluded. It seemed pretty clear, you didn’t say that if you wanted to stay. You didn’t say that if you knew where you wanted to go either.

“Where to?”

“That’s the point, dead boy, you’re supposed to find your own way. Everyone finds the place they should be, that’s the rule around here. You should know that by now. All this time you’ve been here.”

“Not that simple,” he said.

“No, you’re keeping it complicated when it should be that simple. Why do you stay? Do you have people here?” That was one reason she could think of, some people had… people. Her? She could care less if anyone she was related to by blood lived forever and she never saw them again. There was no one in her family outside of an aunt who’d been around when she’d been a kid - her Dad that - she’d even know on sight. So, if they came here, they needed to get out of her way.

“No.”

“Are you waiting?” That was something else she was starting to appreciate that some of the dead could and would do. They’d wait here because they wanted to be with someone who hadn’t come over yet. She’d watched Tara and Willow avoid exactly that question for the last few hours they’d been here. Studiously not talking about what they’d do when the end came for one of them.

As one of the dead, she wasn’t exactly as bothered by considering that.

She might be dead, but she still had a life.

Talking of which and getting back to the point… hopefully.

“No, I’m not waiting.”

“Then get the hell out of here,” she said. “It’s so, fucking… drab. I mean, come on. This – this is just existing. It’s not living. You and the rest put up with… You put up with vampires torturing y’all, what’s up with that? Every one of you could’ve left here.”

“We’re dead. What are we supposed to do?”

“You do what you like,” she replied. And who. “Come on. You know what I mean. This place is… Why stay here, give me a good reason?”

“There’s no where else for me to go,” he said.

“See, that’s when I call bullshit,” Faith objected. “I’ve been telling you that there’s a choice and you’ve all but admitted it, now this? What are you afraid of?”

“I guess… I guess I don’t know anyone. I don’t know anyplace but this.”

“You know me.” If she had to get any more blatant then she was going to throw this guy over her shoulder.

“True, but you have this place for Slayers right?”

“Actually, not so much. It’s just a place. There are Slayers. There are other people. Slayers go other places too, that’s what kept us from bringing thousands when we came. This was all I could find in a pinch.”

“Not sure I’d fit in with a bunch of teenage girls.”

Faith laughed. “Most of them are older than you are by centuries and I’d have thought that any guy would be crying out to be in the middle of a bunch of girls in their teens? Christ, most of them never got a chance to live before they died. If you know what I mean.”

He pulled his face.

“What are you? Gay?” Faith asked. It was a very real possibility that she was willing to concede defeat to, if he’d admit it.

“Actually no, but I’m not interested in teenage girls.”

“You’ve been looking at me,” she said. And that was the frustrating thing. Everything apart from the actual failure to get it on pointed to the fact he would.

“Well, you’re… older.”

“Not much. I’m legal – if that’s what you mean,” she said, pleased to see him blush furiously. Not an easy thing when you didn’t have a heart to pump the blood around anymore. “What? Oh, come on… you haven’t thought about it?”

“You – you want to be my girlfriend?” It wasn’t an invitation, it was a question aimed at picking out her intentions.

So, since he’d asked, she needed to make that real clear. At least now he was getting it though. “Oh, hell no.”

“Oh.”

“Don’t sound so dejected,” Faith said. “Doesn’t mean we can’t…” What would someone like Tara have said? What could she say that wouldn’t freak him out? “Enjoy each other’s company.”

When he looked at her, eyes wide, she liked to think that he might have got the idea. But just to be certain. “By which I mean get it on.”

If anything his mouth actually went wider. “Fu - ” she started to say, only to be cut off.

“Don’t say that.”

“Seriously?” Faith asked, laughing. The word really bothered him? She’d been cussing around him for days, including that word, but here she was changing the meaning around.

“You shouldn’t talk like you do,” he said.

“And what version of the fifties did you die in?”

“It wasn’t – how dead do you think I am?” he protested.

“Deader than I am and I’m starting to see maybe I was right about it being from the waist down,” she challenged.

“You have a filthy mouth,” Gray said.

Faith grinned. “You should let me show you how filthy.” Here she was, talking herself into something she hadn’t even been sure about. The challenge was part of it. That he wanted her but couldn’t do anything about it was enticing enough. Plus, she was sure he’d work hard for what she needed from him and that ass was very cute…

But more than that there was just this sense that once you busted past the old timer attitude, there was fun to be had here. At least once. And after everything that had been going down around here recently she could do with… well, someone going down and since her company had turned out to be teenage girls and slightly desperate watchers for the foreseeable future and neither of them were really to her taste he was going to have to do…

And he would, once she’d gotten him trained right.

After all, look at the way Jenny had been looking at him and there was a woman who had good taste, apart from the Englishman she’d married anyway. What was it she’d said? ‘Twenty years ago, if I wasn’t married’? Yeah, he’d do until something better came along.

Even if she had to talk him into it.

“You sure you’re not gay?” she asked when he shook his head.

“No!”

“So prove it.”

“Why - ”

“Because I want it,” she said. “And that, dead-boy, is all you need to know.” She pulled her top off and watched his eyes widen. Yeah, dead-boy, that’s a rack. “Now drop ‘em, get on that desk and lets see about getting some blood pumping.”

He did, eventually, stop protesting.

And later on he did walk out of the Halls.

Chance in *Chance*

Last edited by Katharyn on Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:52 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Katharyn, HaHa.. Faith, you naughty girl you. Bet she never had to work so hard for a little action in her life.. or unlife. Gray asking if Faith wanted to be his girlfriend was priceless! I was starting to wonder about him too. She was practically throwing herself at him. But even mister prim and proper is no match for Faith when she’s all hot and bothered. So it isn’t just vamps and demons she slays.. it’s the dead boy’s old fashioned ways. Guess what? You managed to raise the conspiracy theorist in me once again. I was starting to wonder if Gray was going to confess that his father was a highly respected political figure and didn’t cotton to fornication without the benefit of marriage. He was told to keep his little snake recoiled until the proper time to strike. Hmmm.. Gray reminds me of… wait.. Faith just took off her shirt…

Just one thing.. Gray could still walk? :wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:12 pm 

Hahahahahaha! That was some good sh*t :bow ! I almost feel sorry for the guy....and then I remember what Faith looks like then all I feel is envy! That was a great comedic break. I love Faith. She says all the things that normal folk wish they could. My tummy hurts....... :lmao

Okay, I was wrong about him :grin !!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:18 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Kajun - Hey, she's Faith... LOL. Yes, she's working for it and probably had to keep working for it and IT might not have been worth all the work anyway. But you win some you lose some LOL.

Gray's a child of the 70's so its not like he's from a time that would be shocked, but even in such times there are those who are comfortable with themselves and those that aren't.

And a bit of poetry in the middle of your comment, wow, you have hidden depths :)

Sorry, but no more conspiracy. No more Gray. That's it for him... oh, Faith just took off her shirt... ;)

Thanks

SMGOVAN - Yes!!!! You were wrong!! Glad we acknowledged it :) JK

And yes, we can all be a little envious. I take comfort in the fact that - in my world at least - if Faith wasn't getting what she needed elsewhere her wagons might roll our way LOL

Thanks for the lovely comments.

Katharyn

And now for a complete change of pace...

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:19 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Title: The Sidestep Chronicles: Third Chronicle (Part 57 (299))
Summary: The impact at events at Wolfram and Hart
Notes: Again this is a part that has changed a little since it’s first draft. From feedback from the readers about Toni, her motivation etc I added in a little clarity about her contract with the firm and their opinion on amending it.
Also the strategic objective was added late in the process when I realised there was something else for the firm to gain in Halls of the Dead. Finally, the latter section of this chapter came from feedback received a few days ago (for me) but many parts ago (for you) suggesting that a certain someone should return. I hadn’t intended to include that person at all, and I’m not opening new doors here… but yeah, it seemed like a fun idea so it’s in.
Also I pushed it right back to part 299. This is the last canon character’s introduction and the one who knows everything that is going on. Seemed that in an ‘adventure’ you pretty much had to have some relic of that left over until the last moment before the end. I may have missed some references to timeframes due to the fact that this originally was right after Tara confronted Toni. Sorry about that if so… pretend this is Game of Thrones and everything is taking place at the same time or out of time ?
Thanks to: Whoever it was that suggested/suspected/wanted/feared the return of this, the last canon character to appear in the fic. Well, kind of the canon… You’ll see.

“Maclay and Rosenberg visited her,” Eric said as he pushed Holland’s chair up to the edge of the green at the fifth hole.

“Of course they did,” Holland noted. “Though, for accuracy you should refer to them as Rosenberg-Maclay twice over.”

“They had a child with them,” his assistant noted the correction. He’d get it right from the next time or simply not bother with the mouthful.

“You didn’t think this was worthy of earlier mention?” Holland asked.

“I know it was a scenario that you considered,” Eric replied smoothly. “And that you didn’t feel too strongly about it coming to pass so I waited until we were discussing it anyway.”

Yes, this assistant of his knew him better than he knew himself sometimes. Perhaps he was older than he felt, but he’d been sharing more with Eric than any of his previous assistants. Feeling the need to talk more. His employers wouldn’t let his mind start to slip – there were bargains that could and had been made about that sort of thing – but they couldn’t change the fact that he was an old man now and… yes, he liked to talk things through.

Besides, the demon brought a fresh perspective to things.

“No sign of the father then?” Holland wondered.

“No. Not there, not at the Hellmouth either, though – for obvious reasons – we couldn’t get too close to that.”

“Don’t worry about it,” Holland said, brushing off the problem. It suited the firm’s purposes to have both major Hellmouths on this continent under control. It removed – or at least lessened - the risk of random apocali. “My two roses have decided to give Toni what she needs rather than what she wants – at least if they want to get her out of our hands.”

“She has been trying to reach Rochelle,” Eric said.

“That will be to give her resignation.”

“I’m sure you’re right.”

“Hmm? Eric?” Holland asked. “That didn’t sound exactly like a simpering agreement. More like you knew it to be the case.”

Eric took a moment, took a deep breath, which was an unusual preparation for him. “Yes, I was… They caught me. Last night.”

“They?”

“The Rosenberg-Maclay’s.”

“Again?” Holland chuckled. Not that it wouldn’t do for Eric to be taken down a notch or two again. He was far too confident in his own abilities and had simply refused to accept that anyone here – particularly a human – could be his match, even after his earlier encounter with Tara, though he was blaming that on his hands being tied by orders not to harm her.

Perhaps being caught – however that had happened – by a teacher and a small-businesswoman would do him some good.

“What did they do?”

Eric actually sounded embarrassed as he answer that question. “I don’t know – they shouldn’t have been able to stop me from teleporting…”

“Oh, good shot.” Holland applauded the player they were watching, receiving a gesture of acknowledgement in return. “But they did. It’s an art that’s not unknown to them, for all that we humans aren’t designed to withstand the stresses of powering it, but I’d imagine that the counter to what you do would’ve occurred to them instinctively – most of what they can accomplish does.”

“I thought one of them, the red-head was a scientist?” Eric asked.

Poor thing, he was floundering for an answer as to what they’d done to him. Though his porting seemed to be working perfectly fine now so it was more that his ego was wounded, Holland supposed.

“Certainly those were her interests and I’ve read reports that suggest they know the effect that their powers have in scientific terms, but that they certainly don’t approach it that way. The fact they’re so instinctive is all that makes them an acceptable risk. They can’t teach what they do to anyone else.”

Eric nodded, he was probably relieved about that too. It wouldn’t do him any favours back with his own kind to be the one who’d shown two witches how to prevent their porting. Especially if the word got out.

“So they pinned you down and you were at their mercy,” he asked.

“They didn’t actually threaten me,” Eric said.

“No, they wouldn’t have done – though you know, of course, what was likely to happen had you attempted to inflict injury on them?”

“I read the briefing carefully,” Eric confirmed. “And you warned me about that before.”

Yes, Holland had rather thought that sending anyone after those young ladies without understanding what they were – particularly someone who fell into the classification of ‘demon’ was to put them at risk. He’d mandated a strict policy of look but don’t touch on anyone that he sent over there. Re-emphasising it since the last time Eric had tried to delay Tara’s pursuit of her wife and come off rather better.

Not that demon’s weren’t people too but the do-gooders – and that was what the Rosenberg-Maclay’s were – always seemed to think the worst of someone who didn’t fit in as human and nearly always gave humans more of a chance.

Certain giant snakes not withstanding.

It was their world, of course, but did they think that they were entirely natural? Tara, more than the other, wouldn’t be too pleased to know where their power actually came from…

“So, what did they do? What did they say?” Holland actually found himself wishing that those woman had come to him direct, or allowed Eric to bring them here. It would’ve been good to see them again – in the flesh so to speak. But that was, he thought, probably another sign of getting old. He was getting nostalgic over his previous work too?

It was laughable really…

“Obviously they knew who I was from. They instructed that I bring a message to my superior.”

“Which would be me.”

“Which would be you,” Eric agreed.

“I’m simply curious as to why you’d wait so long?” Holland asked, clapping politely as he watched the other player sinking a simple putt.

“No more than half an hour,” Eric said.

“Still…”

“I was considering just what to say,” Eric replied.

“Oh, that’s simple, my friend. You tell the unvarnished truth.”

“Then the message was that Wolfram and Hart are to stay away from both Toni and her daughter. We are to allow her to leave employment on condition that she does not take clients, files or anything else belonging to the firm when she leaves.”

“Did they actually bother to threaten us?” Holland wondered.

“No.”

He smiled. “And you didn’t take that as a sign of weakness?”

“I saw it as a sign of confidence, strength and quiet assurance,” Eric said. “I know your opinion of these women, particularly the one who was once simply Maclay.”

“Yes, that is true,” Holland agreed. “And your judgement is much improved since she trapped you the first time. There was a time you’d have reacted to it very differently.”

“Thank you,” Eric said, actually allowing his pleasure at the compliment to show. That was another change in the demon from his exposure to humans. He was learning a whole new way of interacting.

The reality here was that the Rosenberg-Maclay’s didn’t need to make a threat. It was implicit in their demands. They couldn’t truly hurt the firm, its scope was beyond their understanding as well as their reach, but they could certainly put a dent in both its profitability and reputation in these parts.

Perhaps even force it to destroy them, which was never a position that Wolfram and Hart sought out. Better to influence and control than be forced to break something irrevocably.

There was a risk for them in their siding with Toni, but one that – from their point of view – was lower risk than it had been. They were aware now of a realm where they’d end up, where they could be together and with their friends – for all it’s strangeness – and Wolfram and Hart could no longer touch them. Did they have a death wish? No. But certainly they’d regard it somewhat differently. Everyone who’d visited that place did.

He had, once upon a time in his youth.

And he wondered what might have happened if – while they’d still had an office there – he’d been able to send Toni? Yes… that might’ve been a better move. But… bygones.

“Go on.”

“In compensation – of a kind – they notified that Heinrich Joseph Nest had been removed from his position in the Halls.”

“Hmm, did they now?”

“I might be speculating beyond my boundaries, but you could suppose that anyone who went there, say to get someone back, would probably have to deal with him,” Eric said.

“That might easily be supposed,” Holland confirmed.

“And since Maclay had dealt with him before, that she’d be able to do so again.”

“That’s reaching,” Holland replied, giving no sign as to the truth. “But its certainly true that there have to be penalties for interfering in our business. There have to be seen to be penalties. Make sure the new gets out. See if we can’t make sure its understood we did this. The only people who’d say different aren’t listening to us anyway. Anything else?”

“They instructed that they considered the books to be balanced.”

“Hmm. Did they now?”

“It was their impression that any debt owed to us was a point of legal finesse anyway, that the original contract was with Lilah Morgan and Ms Morgan should’ve paid any additional costs for the services of the Vocah, personally.”

“They’re no fools.”

“But they must’ve recognised that we had a claim on them, or why go through with it?” Eric asked.

“To clear the slate. They’re the sort of people who hate to owe a debt, real or imagined. I’m sure if you looked at their records, every financial debt they ever incurred was paid back as quickly as they could manage it. This one – and they’re right in a sense – had hung over them a long, long time.”

“They didn’t have a price to pay then?”

“Lilah Morgan was made into what we wanted her to be through the contract with Tara Maclay – as she was then. The services of the Vocah, the return of Willow Rosenberg in return for what Tara did to her. No further debt was mentioned and the firm was happy to let that go as we did get what we’d wanted all along.”

“But didn’t Morgan - ”

“You’re right, it didn’t work out. The process hit Lilah too hard and – in essence – we had damaged goods on our hands. Lilah was… removed and the debt sprang back into existence at that point.”

“From a certain point of view,” Eric completed. “I wouldn’t want to try to enforce that in court.”

“Absolutely. Now she considers it cleared though.”

“Is it?”

“Never let it be said that Tara Maclay is not an astute woman. She sees many of the wheels and she understands how they link together to drive the engine.”

The removal of the Wolfram and Hart office from the Halls of the Dead – of all places – was an unacceptable slight on the reputation of the firm as well as it’s ability to meet the needs of it’s clients, many of whom would die despite their best efforts to stave off that fate.

The Master’s assumption of power in the Halls, removing the presence of the living as well as the staff of the office had simply been equally as unacceptable. An intervention would always have been possible, but why got to the trouble and expense of that when an expert could be deployed for free?

And who – in recent years – had known the Master better than the one’s who’d destroyed him?

There had been no contract, but in a very real sense Tara had done everything – with her wife’s help – that they could possibly have expected from her if there had been.

“Send a memo,” Holland said, “if you’d be so kind.”

“The office?”

“The office. The Senior Partners want it re-established. There’s a market there that’s is just crying out for good legal representation.”

“And the debt?”

“Note my recommendation that it be cleared.”

“Regretting the situation with Toni?” Eric asked.

“It could’ve been handled better, that’s certainly true. But Rochelle botched the move to re-negotiation. It happens. Bygones will be bygones.”

“Very well, and should I make a note about young Miss Giles?” Eric asked.

Holland considered it, of course the contact had been logged and they had samples on record that could always be used to make a ritual connection to her and deal with any… unfortunate incidents. But… “I doubt that she’ll ever come to much. Leave it.”

----------------------

After Eric had left him at the club house, the air popping as the demon winked out of existence and went somewhere else Holland sat, expectantly waiting.

The arches of his feet had been tickling for the last few minutes, a sure sign that some power was being worked nearby. And, all at once, it was gone. The portal had closed.

While the golf club would’ve preferred that portals were kept off the premises, they were hardly in a position to insist given that they were a bought and paid for subsidiary of Wolfram and Hart. He happened to know that they kept rolls and rolls of spare wallpaper and carpet for this very occurrence.

Fortunately at the moment he was sat on a marble floor, though some of the more… heated dimensions had even been known to melt that rock when a portal was opened. The lobby of the LA office had been so marred for weeks while they hunted for a replacement slab of just the right colour.

Flexible working and the temporary nature of his retirement meant that he rarely ventured down there – even with Eric to transport him instantly – and so he wasn’t sure how good a job they’d done on it.

The click of heels on the marble alerted him to the approach of a woman – or at least something in female form. The reek of burnt… well, burnt everything preceded her.

“Holland. Wonderful to see you again – don’t get up.”

He looked up, knowing very well that this wasn’t who it appeared to be. Not precisely. All the same, it paid to be polite. “Lilah, and thank you, I’m not as mobile as I once was.”

She smiled much as one might imagine a cat smiled at a mouse it had pinned by the tail. Sitting opposite him, before he could stand up, the metals legs of the chair scraped on the marble. She was looking good, of course. That was just the way Lilah had always been. Despite the fact that she did carry the stench of hell, her hair was perfectly coiffed, her suit immaculate and very, very expensive. Her long legs, as she crossed them, absolutely toned and trim. She didn’t look a day older than when she’d been taken.

Found unacceptable.

But let it not be said that the firm – or the Senior Partners – let good raw material go to waste.

Lilah pulled delicately at a skirt that was a little too short for his taste, but no worse than anything she’d worn when she was working for him. He was in no position to chide her anymore. Had she walked in her stark naked she’d only have held his polite attention in just the same way.

She’d left her sunglasses on and it was a good thing, behind them was a red glow – filtered through the glasses it gave her a strangeness that was disconcerting, even knowing what she looked like with them off.

“Once again you’ve delivered for us,” she said. Her breath was a curious mixture of minty-fresh but tinged with the scent of hellfire that burned inside her, it was that he’d have been able to see in her eyes if she took those glasses off.

“I do my very best,” he replied.

“Of course you do. Which is why I’m here.”

Of course it was. He knew what she wanted, the same thing she – and others like her – had wanted for years.

Continued service.

They’d already eaten into his retirement, extended his good health and provided him with an assistant capable of taking the drudge time out of the things he did for them. All very helpful, of course and he was pleased with Eric as well as what he’d been able to accomplish. But…

“Good work with the re-opening of our office in the Halls,” she said, changing the subject.

“Thank you, though its not actually open yet - ”

“Not from your perspective,” she said, dipping her head so that he could see the eyes over the sunglasses. Shuddering involuntarily he was reminded of the very different perspective that she had now.

“I had worried,” he said, hoping to keep her off the topic she’d come here to address, “that perhaps my loss of Toni would be seen as a negative.”

“She was only ever an employee,” Lilah said. “Her heart was never in it.” Licking her lips, he was reminded of the last time he’d seen her. Blood smeared around her mouth… the remnants of just such a heart. Of course it was deliberate. “We drained everything we could out of her.”

Except her heart. He’d miss her, Toni was never anything less than a challenge and – in a very real sense – had probably done more to keep him young in these last few years than anything the firm had done.

Which wasn’t something he was keen to admit at the moment.

“And the debt owed by the Two Roses?”

He wondered if that would be a sensitive subject, after all these years and the changes. Lilah’s very presence in this current form was – of course – intimately tied to the activities of the Two Roses and her own feelings about one of them. The corrective action that had been taken.

“You don’t need me to assess something that trivial,” Lilah admonished him. “But enough small-talk. We have matters to discuss, you and I.”

“I gave the Senior Partners my answer some time ago.”

“And an unpopular answer it was,” she replied. “Not many say ‘no.’”

“Nonetheless.”

“I was wondering, perhaps, if it had changed?”

“And why would I have changed my mind?” he asked.

“Time, old friend, is running out.”

A simple comment, an observation. Far from being a threat. She could’ve taken him apart, body, soul and mind without disrupting one immaculately styled hair on her head. This was… mortality then? She pushed a small envelope across the table at him. It was lavishly etched with his name, written in dried blood.

“I told the firm a long time ago that I didn’t want to see that.”

He left it where it was on the table. The date, time and circumstances of his death – unchangeable by any mortal without ‘assistance’ – held no interest for him. He’d seen those who tried to live their lives with that knowledge and what it did to them.

“The question will not be asked again,” she said.

“Good.”

“So I’ve been asked to make certain enticements.” Moving sinuously, she re-crossed her legs and made sure he knew precisely what was on offer.

Did they really think he was still up to that and even if he had been… with her? It was almost worthy of a laugh.

“No, Holland,” she said, when he asked the question – but more politely. “We don’t expect you are – but you could be.”

Youthful vigour then? As well as her? Or anyone else he desired, he supposed. “Sorry, I’m a married man.”

“For your wife as well then? The importance of family is recognised,” she said, sliding gracefully into a less sensuous and much more cajoling pose. The Lilah he’d known would’ve known not to suggest that he’d cheat on Rose. Of course it’d been tried and offered before, in just her first week Lilah herself had – nervously and inexpertly – come onto him. She’d grown as a woman, as a person after his refusal and now… look at her.

The red eyes smouldered at him. Quite literally.

And now this offer? Extended life for both him and his wife? Youth, he supposed. Rose had been quite the beauty once – and of course he still thought so – but they’d both grown since then too. Their children had fled the nest, built careers and families of their own.

“I think not.”

Lilah pursed her lips, thoughtful. “We could give you no choice.”

“We both know there’s always a choice, but yours is limited because we also both know that if you were to do that, I’d be no good to you anyway.”

“We don’t want to lose you, Holland.”

“Everything comes to an end.”

“Yes,” she said. “I suppose it does.”

Lilah sat back then, not talking but not dismissing him either. Just watching. All at once he understood the envelope, its purpose here. His chest tightened and he knew she wasn’t doing this to him. He gasped, the pain was quite extreme all of a sudden, through his chest and into his left arm. He looked at her, wondering – against everything that was happening – whether she’d make her offer again.

But she stayed silent and just watched.

Somehow he was aware of the slowing thrum of blood, and it finally stopped and things started to get further away. The sounds of the clubhouse faded. His vision narrowed until there was no colour except the red of her eyes and nothing but her…

Such a shame, he thought towards his last, that it wasn’t the real Lilah. He’d have liked to have someone he knew here with him. That creature had left only the barest trace of the woman he’d once mentored behind.

But how many could say that one of the Senior Partners had attended their ends?

He never had chance to make his guess because his last thought was that Rose was going to be so mad at him for being late.

Chance in *Chance*

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next