The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 711 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Van Rosenberg (Completed 23 May)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:08 pm 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

Topics: 1
Title: Van Rosenberg

Author: Alcy

Rating: R for supernatural violence and (eventually) hot, gay lovin’

Disclaimers: I don’t own any of the Buffy, Tomb Raider or Dracula characters. This fic is of course AU so no spoilers for any season.

Summary: The year is 1897 and the last thing Willow Rosenberg wants to be doing is battling against the forces of darkness, she’d rather be curled up with a book and a nice, hot cup of tea. Unfortunately Willow’s stuck working for a secret organisation hidden beneath the British Museum dedicated to the protection of mankind from the evil which lurks in the shadows of the world. With her bumbling assistant Myles, over-enthusiastic demon-slaying friend Faith and an all too sexy employer who collects death masks, Willow is about to realise that perilous danger comes even to those who least want it. The discovery of a diary and the journey that follows will disrupt everything Willow has ever known, including her own identity, and reunite her with a love she never knew she lost.

Notes: Diary entries are going to be in italics but hopefully they will not be confused with thoughts as they will be mostly placed at the beginning of a chapter.
This fic borrows thematic elements from several sources, most notably Bram Stoker’s Dracula and the 2004 film, Van Helsing and structural elements from Elizabeth Kostova’s The Historian. The story itself and several of its characters are my own.
Special thanks to Foo for the awesome banner!

~~~~~

Chapter One

7 March 1777

It would seem that I can scarce hear myself think over the beating of my heart. With my body trembling as I write these words, my script is sprawling across the page in a manner that would have my tutor cringing. I must however commit the memories of this day to paper for I cannot speak of them to a single soul. Not even in my own dear mother can I confide as I could only imagine the look of horror on her face if I were to inform her of the event that transpired today…event, how can one call such a momentous occasion a mere event!

I shall describe what happened as best I can…although if anyone were to read these words…

I have oft said I despise the Marlborough’s annual picnic, one can scarce move for all the bores and cads vying for one’s attention. I often marvel at the fact that they do not burst, so hard they are trying. Edward Walsh followed me around like a sad little spaniel all day and I half expected his tail to start wagging when I allowed him to sit next to me while I watched a game of bowls. As my attention wavered from Edward’s well-meaning but dull attempts at conversation, I noticed a new face, a young woman I had never laid eyes on before. I thought was strange as I am of course well acquainted with everyone of note in the district. I could not possibly see how I could have failed to notice her. Curiosity overcame my usual reservations and I excused myself from Edward’s attentions. I boldly followed the young woman on her walk which led into the stables. After her initial surprise at seeing someone else there, we finally had a chance to make our introductions. W, what a strange and yet beautiful name. As she explained that she and her brother had recently moved to the district I remembered my mother telling me that Sir Clifford’s estate, Hagley Park, had passed to his nephew (I do think my mother was hinting that I should make his acquaintance. I’m sure he is a very fine young man who will make someone a good match but my interest lies with his sister!) She endeared me from the moment she confessed that she had no love of large gatherings and had decided to hide in the stables despite her fear of horses!

Even now I cannot remember how long we spoke for, I think she had me captivated by some sort of witchcraft for I could not draw myself away from her presence. We spoke of all manner of things and would have definitely proven Edward wrong in his belief that women are incapable of debating politics or difficult moral issues. W is undoubtedly a woman possessed of a sharp mind but that was only part of what had me enthralled. I found myself watching the tilt of her chin as she spoke, the adorable manner in which her lips moved and curled so easily up into a smile. Her green eyes danced as she talked with animation I never thought possible, the very words she spoke seemed to tumble forth from her mouth as though she could not stop even if she wanted to.

As dusk fell outside still we had not stirred from the stable. No doubt the rest of our party had retired indoors for supper. I could not even feel guilty for the thought that Edward was probably searching high and low for me. He was farthest from my mind. It was the chill wind whistling through the stable that finally forced us indoors but not before W leaned across and brushed her gloved hand against my cheek. I closed my eyes to savour the moment and suddenly found soft lips pressed up against mine. She had leaned forward to kiss me! I cannot possibly describe the experience in words, so gentle was her touch and sweet was her taste. My lips parted only slightly and I heard myself gasp with delight. I knew full well that such behaviour was scandalous and I ought to push W away from my body. Instead I found myself leaning closer, close enough to feel the small curve of her breast through the fabric that separated our skin. I feel a hot flush rise into my cheeks even now as I relive the moment through words. I know I cannot write anymore without craving W’s touch. Oh, I am wicked indeed but I want more of her. Everything about that kiss was forbidden…but I do not care…

~~~~~~

“Good gracious!” Willow Rosenberg exclaimed as she glanced at the pocket watch she held in her fumbling hands.

The day hasn’t even started yet and already I’m behind! Willow thought in exasperation, mentally beating herself with a large stick. She was running desperately late on the one day she simply could not afford to be late.

She swung her legs onto the cold wooden floor of her flat and took a brief moment to compose herself. The date on the calendar tacked to the wall read 19 October 1897. It was jammed between a picture of her parents and a newspaper cutting sensationalising a reported haunting in Watford. Willow exhaled loudly in the calm before the storm. With a huge exertion of willpower she tore herself away from her bed to attend, very quickly, to her morning toilet.

Her cramped bedroom was little more than a closet leading off from the main room of her apartment. It ought to have contained relatively little owing to its size but a washstand, wardrobe and a duchess surrounded the narrow bed jammed beneath the window. Almost every useable inch of wall space was covered by framed photographs, newspaper cuttings, pages torn from magazines and pencil sketches and watercolours done in Willow’s own hand. There was no one constant subject that held Willow’s fascination, everything was represented on her wall from Petrie’s latest Egyptian dig, Oscar Wilde being released from prison and a rather sinister watercolour of a dark cave.

At that moment, Willow was hopping around on the rag rug trying to lay her hands on necessary items of clothing. She wrinkled her small nose at the sight of her only clean shirt lying squashed behind the door. She had of course forgotten to iron it and smoothing the wrinkles out with her palm was completely useless. Willow shrugged and tugged it over her undergarments, deciding that the shirt would be fine if she kept her jacket and waistcoat on.

A few moments later Willow stood in the middle of her rug and glanced down at her outfit, a rather rumpled matching three piece grey pinstripe suit that completely concealed her un-ironed shirt save for the stiff collar. Willow quickly snatched up the last few items she needed, her pocket watch and a bright red tie that had been hanging on her bedroom doorknob. She only paused in her combined kitchen and living room long enough to grab her lunch and satchel.

Following a brisk walk and a tram ride spent checking her pocket watch every minute, Willow jumped out at her destination. She took one last look at her pocket watch, groaned audibly and jogged up the steps.

The sign to the left of the door she entered read British Museum – Employees Only Entrance.

~~~~~

As she made her way through the endless corridors that made up the bowels of the British Museum, Willow tried rather ineffectually to review a large stack of papers in her hands. She was busy scribbling pencil notes in the margin of one particular page when she rounded a corner and collided with a cup and saucer full of tea. The tea sloshed all over Willow’s papers and the front of her jacket. The cup and saucer clattered to the floor and promptly smashed. Willow’s jaw dropped as she looked up at the culprit who had been holding the offending beverage.

It was a young man, cheek length brown hair flopping forward over his boyish face. His eyes were wide with horror and the position of his jaw mirrored Willow’s. Myles Cavendish was supposedly employed as a runner, the lowest of the low amongst the museum’s white-collar workers. He was supposed to fetch, carry and generally be on call for whatever task was needed. However, Willow had never actually seen Myles carry out these tasks for anyone else; he had attached himself to her as an unofficial personal assistant and always seemed to appear at the times when he was least appreciated.

“You clumsy oaf, Myles!!” Willow wiped ineffectually at the damp patch on her jacket with her papers, “I’m late enough already.”

Willow then realised that she was trying to do her cleaning with important documents and she stopped, staring down at the inky mess on the top sheet.

“I’m so s-sorry, Miss Rosenberg,” the poor lad stammered.

Myles whipped out his pocket-handkerchief and instinctively began dabbing at the wet patch that had spread across the front of Willow’s jacket without realising that the placement of his hands was far more intimate than their relationship warranted. Before Willow could protest, his cheeks flamed bright red as he realised where he was mopping so intently. He snatched the handkerchief away and instead went to work picking up the pieces of shattered crockery.

“I’m sorry, Myles,” Willow hunkered down next to the young man, joining him in placing the shards into the damp handkerchief.

“It’s alright, Miss,” Myles glanced up, his cheeks still ruddy with colour, “I just though you might like a spot of tea before your meeting, seeing as you never have breakfast and all…but it was cold anyway because you’re…”

“Late!” Willow finished his sentence as she jumped to her feet, “I really must get going Myles, the Director will be waiting.”

“Bye!” Myles called at Willow’s fleeing back.

Willow didn’t stop running even when she reached the impressive oaken door that was the entrance to the offices of the Director of the British Museum. She shoved the door open at full tilt and flew into the room on the other side. A cold voice greeted her as soon as she slid to a halt.

“Miss Rosenberg, you’re late.”

The voice belonged to an exceptionally prim young woman who managed to look down on Willow through her spectacles even though she was sitting behind a desk where Willow was standing. Her brown hair was coiled perfectly atop her head, cosmetics applied in all the right places and, from what Willow could see, she was wearing a simple but flattering dress with an amethyst brooch at her neck. A neat little plaque on her desk read: Cordelia Chase. Cordelia looked as though she had been at work, seated behind her typewriter, for several hours already.

“Good morning to you too, Cordelia,” Willow replied breezily.

If Willow had been less of a well-mannered young lady, she would have muttered a barbed comment or at the very least scowled in annoyance. Instead, she turned around and tortured herself in a different way by examining her appearance in the full length mirror that Cordelia had carefully positioned opposite her desk. The secretary snorted in contempt at her view of herself being blocked by the decidedly shabby researcher. Willow was only saved from further dressing down by Miss Cordelia Chase when another woman joined them in the room.

Gratefully turning her back on the mirror, Willow smiled as she saw her colleague and friend, Faith Winters, enter the room. However, she took one look at the expression on Faith’s face and knew she would prefer to listen to Cordelia. It was like a storm about to unleash itself, dark and cloudy with a hint of thunder. Like Cordelia, she too was neatly attired but the matching skirt and jacket she wore was plain in the extreme. No lace or brooches adorned her body.

“Will, for blooming heck, I’ve been looking for you for the past thirty minutes!” the young woman growled in lieu of a greeting.

“And good morning to you too, Faith,” Willow was beginning to feel a little like a pincushion.

Faith was Willow’s age, and they both worked in the same department of the Museum but that was where the similarities ended. Faith was the embodiment of sensuality, almost exotic in her dark features despite the fact that she was British to the core. Where Willow was scholarly and clumsy, it was all too obvious that Faith was a woman of action. She was poised and graceful in all her movements, even as she threw up her hands in disgust.

“I told you to wear a dress today!” Faith snapped, looking Willow up and down with a disapproving expression.

“Why should I when you look silly enough for the both of us?” Willow snickered but, in response to Faith’s withering glare, quickly wiped the smile from her face and threw up her hands in an admission of defeat, “I’m dreadfully sorry Faith, I must confess I forgot all about the meeting until I woke up this morning already late. I was up until dawn reading those fascinating new texts you brought back from your last trip East….”

“And what the devil is that mess all done your front?” Faith gasped at the dark stain spread across Willow’s jacket.

“Errr…breakfast,” Willow replied, wiping ineffectually at the damp patch, “Courtesy of Myles.”

“That young man is disaster on two feet! You’re both as bad as each other!” Faith huffed in exasperation as she reached for Willow’s jacket and began to peel it from her shoulders, “Turn around.”

Willow obliged, turning so Faith could pull the offending soiled garment from her shoulders as she muttered to herself about the incompetence of those she was forced to work with. Once the jacket was removed, Faith tossed it so it landed precisely across Cordelia Chase’s typewriter, effectively silencing the clack-clacking of her keys.

“Hang that up would you, your Highness?” Faith asked, winking in response to Cordelia’s stare of glacial murder.

As soon as she had shrugged out of her jacket, Willow realised that she was left standing in her waistcoat and shirtsleeves. Eyes wide, she glanced down at each arm in turn to reconfirm the reason for wearing her jacket in the first place. Her sleeves were wrinkled beyond all acceptable standards.

“Please don’t tell me you’ve spilt something on your shirt too?” Faith saw the look on Willow’s face but with Willow’s quick shake of her head she sighed with relief, “Good…or you’d be going in to see Croft in your undergarments. Come on, she’ll be furious, she’s been waiting for over an hour.”

Willow stopped in her tracks and reached out to grab Faith by the elbow, “Do you think she’s found a fault with my work?”

Slightly annoyed at being held up yet again, Faith spun around to face her colleague. Her annoyance vanished in the face of Willow’s earnest expression. She was so paranoid as to the quality of her work that her grip on Faith’s elbow had tightened to the point of being painful. Gently, Faith prised Willow’s grip open with her own fingers. Looking a little sheepish, Willow folded her arms across her chest.

“Your work is perfect, as always,” Faith reassured her, “You’re also indispensable to the organisation, so she won’t fire you no matter how angry she may get this morning…keep a stiff upper lip Willow, and you’ll be fine!”

“She’s a monster,” Willow turned her head slightly towards the door that lay before them, “Honestly Faith, I think I need to find a new job…one where I don’t fear for my life upon entering into a meeting with my employer.”

Faith arched an eyebrow as Willow turned back to face her, “Croft isn’t so bad…and besides, haven’t you always wanted to battle the forces of darkness, learn the secrets of the netherworld and keep mankind safe and blissfully unaware of the real world that lurks around them?”

Willow thought about this seriously for a few seconds before replying, “Not particularly…no.”

Faith grunted in annoyance, although a small smile turned up the corners of her mouth. It was hard for her to remain angry at Willow for more than a few minutes, no matter how vexed she had been. She continued onto the door and rapped on it twice. After the command to enter, Faith paused to wink at Willow.

“Methinks you fear something other than the Director’s bristly demeanour…something more along the lines of her full lips and ample bosom?” Faith whispered conspiratorially, seconds before she whipped open the door.

As a result of Faith’s unexpected question, Willow’s face was frozen in a tortured expression in full view of the Director of the British Museum. Faith added further insult to injury by placing her hand in the small of Willow’s back and shoving her forward into the room. Willow stumbled for a few steps before straightening in front of the extraordinarily large, highly polished desk. The desk set the tone for the rest of the room with rich, oaken wood throughout. It made up the heavily laden bookshelves which stretched upwards, all the way to the ceiling several metres above. Hung from the bookshelves at various intervals was a collection of savage looking wooden death masks, their feather adornments browned with age. It was rumoured that they were from tombs that the Director herself had raided in her youth. Guests in the office were often struck by the masks and found themselves constantly looking over their shoulders to confirm that they did not move. The atmosphere was completed with the outside light filtered into odd lines by the partially closed velvet drapes. A thin line of sunlight cast downwards, slicing over the desk and down onto the worn Oriental rug upon which Faith and Willow now stood.

A figure sat behind the desk, body entirely in shadow. Little more than an outline could be seen until the figure moved its feet from where they were perched up on the desk and swung them down onto the floor with a loud thud.

“Winters and Rosenberg, given that both of you are fully aware of my appreciation for timeliness, it strikes me as extremely odd that you would choose to be tardy,” the figure flipped the pocket watch in her hand open with a savage click, “One hour tardy to be precise.”

The speaker then moved forward into the sunlight. As the light streamed in, it illuminated an exceedingly beautiful woman’s face. Like Faith, her features were almost exotic and further enhanced by the way she dressed and carried herself. Even sitting down she exuded an air of strength and confidence. Her brown hair was done up in a sleek, plaited arrangement from which a single hair did not dare to escape. As Faith had commented to Willow, her lips were indeed full, although now pursed together in displeasure. While the fashion of the time was baring as little flesh as possible when it came to day wear, her low cut dress revealed the cleavage of an ample bosom…exactly where Willow was trying her best not to look. Willow brought her gaze back up to the Director’s large, piercing eyes.

The severity of the situation disintegrated as soon as Faith smirked and opened her mouth, “Our reasonable explanation is Willow being Willow…she has absolutely no concept of time.”

“I do too!” Willow protested, turning to confront Faith, “I am punctual, efficient and highly reliable…even though the present circumstances would seem to disagree.”

“Indeed,” the Director intoned serenely, “You statement would also seem to be at odds with your appearance…which by any standards is disgraceful. I do believe young Cavendish dresses better than you.”

Willow folded her arms in an effort to disguise her shirtsleeves and willed herself to disappear through the floorboards and back to her basement office. She was also fairly sure that Faith was enjoying every moment of her humiliation.

The Director sighed as though Willow was a lost cause and pursed her palms together, “Well, we’ve lost enough time as it is and I have a meeting with the Greeks at eleven, something about wanting their marbles back. Why don’t the two of you take a seat and we’ll get started.”

Willow and Faith each chose one of the Ottomans that sat in front of the Director’s desk, Faith crossing her legs demurely while Willow sat with her legs apart and elbows resting on her knees. Even after only a few moments of sitting she began to fidget, reaching out and picking up the rather dusty name plaque which sat on the desk in front of her. Swiping her fingers across the brass plaque, she removed a thick layer of dust to reveal the name beneath: Lara Croft, Director. Willow glanced up to find Lara staring directly at her and she winced, attempting to place the plaque back on the desk a little too quickly she dropped it to the floor with a loud thud. When she finally managed to get the plaque safely back into its rightful spot, both Faith and Lara were glaring at her with raised eyebrows.

“Um…shall we get started?” Willow suggested helpfully, she then sat back in her chair and clasped her hands in her lap as though that would stop them from wandering.

“I’ve read through Rosenberg’s research, “Lara began, keeping one eye trained on Willow for a few moments longer before turning to the papers sitting in front of her, “And I am of the opinion that this might just be the information for which we have been searching.”

Lara lifted her head and looked directly at Willow, a small congratulatory smile played across her full lips. The redhead’s face blanched immediately and her hands unclasped to begin picking absently at the wooden arms of her ottoman.

“It was simply a matter of cross-referencing several known documents…nothing really, I’m sure other scholars would have arrived at a similar conclusion…eventually,” Willow explained modestly, “And of course without a firsthand exploration of the monastery it’s still mere speculation…I would be the first to admit that while you can learn a great deal from books, nothing quite compares to gathering data in the field.”

“And yet everything you say claims the contrary,” Faith winked conspiratorially.

Willow glared at Faith as though her words were not perfectly true. It was well known that Willow would do virtually anything to avoid being sent out into the field and away from the safe confines of the British Museum. While the wider population was blissfully unaware of the true evil that lurked unseen in the world around them, Willow knew full well that each old folktale, wild rumour and spirited conjecture had its grain of truth. Those noises in the dead of night were something to be feared; whatever her mother had once told her. She was now quite happy to carry out the research and send Faith out to do the dirty work…although the brunette was notoriously sloppy with her field notes.

Lara largely ignored the banter between the two friends as she continued talking, “Which is precisely why the Council and I have decided to send Faith to the ruins of the monastery at Tirgsor as soon as possible.”

Only half-listening, Willow had picked up a small sixteenth century Dogon horseman and was making it trot across Lara’s desk. She did not look up to see the piercing expression on Lara’s face at the sight of the priceless African artefact being used like a child’s toy.

Faith’s eyes lit up, her attention focused somewhere other than Willow, “Dracula’s library…no doubt there is an exceptionally powerful guardian keeping watch…”

“His name was Vlad, Vlad Tepes,” Willow’s interest returned as her keenly tuned ears picked up the historical inaccuracy perpetuated by second-rate authors and scaremongers, “And to the best of my knowledge there is nothing guarding the library…”

“Like there was nothing guarding that burial cave in Southern France last year?” Faith reached out and snatched the Dogon artefact from Willow’s hand.

“How was I to know a daemon hound was taking refuge in there?” Willow protested her innocence.

“A bloody great wounded daemon hound,” Faith stressed the word ‘wounded’ as she placed the African artefact back on Lara’s desk, “The beast was starving and I nearly sated its hunger!”

“Back to the task at hand!” Lara announced even as Willow was about to launch into an explanation that would prove Faith thoroughly enjoyed her meeting with the beast, “I believe your main goals should be…”

As Lara continued briefing Faith, Willow fumed. She knew full well that Faith had revelled in entertaining her colleagues with the story of how she battled the wounded hound with her only weapon being a table fork. She would have had the head stuffed and mounted if not for the necessity of burning the corpse and scattering the ashes in water to avoid the resurrection of the beast at the next full moon.

Willow soon found herself drifting off from the conversation altogether as Faith and Lara turned to discussing uninteresting matters regarding travel plans and contacts. Her eyes roamed Lara’s study for a good many minutes even though she had virtually every volume of text in her own office and she could not bear to dwell on the hideous death masks for long before she felt chilled and uncomfortable. For someone involved in her line of work, such a reaction in the presence of a mere death mask was not something you readily admitted to.

While Willow’s mind had wandered, Lara had continued her discussion with Faith, “I want Giles to provide you with all the appropriate accoutrement for this type of operation, and I have already passed him a list of items you will require including an ample supply of silver bullets…”

Ugh…weapons, Willow thought with a slight twitch of her nose. It was Faith’s favourite subject so she was riveted, making additional suggestions that made it seem as though an army was setting out instead of just one woman. Willow’s wandering gaze fell onto the Director, Lara Croft herself. As unaccustomed to flattery and appraisal as she was, Willow could still appreciate that the Director was a sensuously beautiful woman possessed of that rare ability to captivate people’s attentions with a mere look. She hated the thought of admitting it even to herself but Faith was right, she did fear Lara’s full lips and ample bosom. Just the mere thought of either sent her heart racing uncontrollably. Willow had researched her own problem extensively and had ended up with extensive notes concerning love and lust. Although neither topic had been explained fully enough to satisfy her need for conclusive, textual proof, Willow had decided that she was most definitely not in love with Lara Croft. Lust on the other hand was a reasonable hypothesis but she did not know how to conduct the experiments necessary to draw some sort of conclusion. She had probed Faith for a suitable method but her friend’s prying and embarrassing questions had quickly turned her off the idea.

For all official purposes, this was where her research ended. It was only when she was alone in the depths of night, tucked up in bed with her mind continuing to work overtime that she allowed herself to dwell on something other than research. She allowed herself to dream that there was a woman out there somewhere, waiting for her. Her dreams had begun to concern her of late, for no longer did she feel that was all they were. Her instincts told her that this woman was real, even though Willow could not find a face, or a name. Willow could not explain it…and anything the red-haired researcher could not explain, was very dangerous indeed.

“Are we keeping you from something important, Rosenberg?” Lara asked archly.

Willow snapped back to her senses and realised she had been unconsciously drumming her fingers in a steady beat on the arms of her ottoman. She immediately stopped and gripped the ottoman’s arms as though to prevent herself from floating away.

“No, of course not…” Willow swallowed uncomfortably, “I mean, there’s nothing more important than a meeting with you Lara…I mean Director Croft. I’m sorry…it’s just that I’ve a huge pile of work to get through.”

“Now what she really means to say is that being in a crowd of three is getting to her and she would like to run back to the safety of her little basement office,” Faith translated Willow’s seemingly innocuous explanation.

Lara audibly ground her teeth in the presence of her two troublesome subordinates. She had often imagined how gratifying it would feel to banish them both from her museum for good. It was an impossible whim. While it would mean freedom from their bickering she would loose two invaluable staff.

Willow was undoubtedly the most gifted researcher she had ever come across. Not only could she translate almost a dozen ancient languages and not bat an eyelid at reading firsthand accounts of all manner of supernatural activity, she had never taken a sick day, worked all the waking hours of the day and did not constantly lobby for a larger office. Even though the little redhead’s quirks bordered on the edge of reclusive insanity, she was quite fascinating.

Faith was something altogether different…and Lara knew that she could definitely not find another Faith.

As she sat across the table from the two women, Lara found herself annoyed at the circumstances that kept her relationship with them anything other than strictly professional. Both would have made good friends…and Faith possibly something more. Lara had to stop herself from running the tip of her tongue over her lips as she dwelt on that possibility. As it had to be, she sat forward in her seat and affixed her sternest expression possible.

“For your sakes I hope that the pair of you do not behave like this in public or I will find out and both your heads will roll, mark my words!” Lara growled in an even tone, “Faith, you are leaving for Eastern Europe tomorrow so I suggest you attend immediately to your preparations and Willow, you may return to work and…do whatever it is that you do. If Faith needs any further information from you, see that she has it without delay.”

“Yes ma’am,” Faith and Willow replied in unison, before beating a hasty retreat from Lara’s office.

Hardly subdued, Faith delivered a rather cheeky look over her shoulder back at the Director that Willow did not see. The door closed on Lara’s secretive smirk.

Once safely out of Lara’s office, both Willow and Faith passed the prickly presence of Cordelia Chase. The secretary gave them a level stare, not taking her eyes off them as though they might purposefully break something just to spite her. As they left the office, Faith turned and jabbed a painting hanging on the wall. The frame tilted and it hung decidedly askew.

“Feeling okay?” Faith asked as she closed the door on the beginning of Cordelia’s predictable rant, she gave Willow a playful nudge, “Or is your heart beating a little faster after being in her presence?”

“I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about…my heart palpitations are completely normal!” Willow protested a little too vehemently, “You affront me grossly Faith…its Croft we speak of! Not to mention the fact that she’s a woman.”

Faith cocked an eyebrow and sighed, “Willow, I’m your closest and dearest friend, when are you going to open up to me and admit the desires of your heart?”

“I have no desires.” Willow replied all too quickly, “Other than to get back to my office, I’m working on the most interesting document, a fifteen century French translation of a Greek scholar’s account of what he thought were simply very odd murders, but I think it is evidence of vampirism in Ancient Greece, imagine…”

“Will, look, it’s a beautiful autumn’s day outside,” Faith interrupted Willow just as the beginnings of a feverish excitement were showing in her expression.

Faith grabbed the scholar by her elbow and dragged her to the nearest window, pointing to the bright sunlight that bathed London’s streets in a warm, golden glow.

Willow followed Faith’s finger and squinted slightly at the harshness of the sunlight, “That’s nice.”

“Well, aren’t you going to go out and enjoy it? You sit from dawn until dusk in that little office of yours and then you go home and sit alone in your apartment. You’re as pale as can be and you do nothing but work…go outside, take your lunch and your camera and just look at everything…who knows, you might even talk to someone new!”

Willow’s eyes bulged in mock horror, “Gracious, meet someone new? I don’t think so Faith.”

Faith growled which Willow took to mean that she had better leave the building or else something very unfortunate would befall her. Given the various weapons that Faith kept concealed about her person, Willow thought she ought to comply.

“Right, that’s settled then. Giles wants to see me in the lab, said he’s got something new for me,” Faith’s eyes were wild like a school child’s in a candy shop, “Now off with you!”

~~~~~

Willow stood at the entrance to the rather brown looking park with a small trace of annoyance in her expression. In one hand she held a little tin lunch box containing her lunch which she had intended to eat as she usually did, with one hand while continuing to work with the other. She did not intend to waste the time completely as she had brought along her beloved Kodak camera, hanging from a leather strap around her neck.

It took her a few minutes of standing and staring to realise that the reason everything was so brown was that it was actually autumn and the leaves were falling in droves, coating the green grass in a spotty looking coat. Every so often a soft breeze would pick up a few leaves and waft them up into the air. Willow spied an empty park bench and as she walked towards it she realised she had forgotten how pleasant this particular park was with its meandering paths and little stream. Despite the fact that the season heralded the arrival of cold winter weather, it was pleasantly warm and Willow did not miss her overcoat.

Willow ate with her head down, constantly worried that other park users were watching her, this little pale creature who dared to venture out from her basement office. It was only when her lunch was finished that she dared risk a peek to see who else was out and about. It was a diverse rang of folks, mostly looking as though they too had escaped from their employment to catch a brief spot of fresh air. Bowler hats and umbrellas tucked beneath arms were in abundance. As Willow scanned the park she began to realise that watching people was actually quite fascinating, although she did feel slightly guilty for staring at particularly odd looking individuals.

There was one in particular whom Willow could not help but stare at. Standing on the other side of a small path was a young woman who for some reason Willow thought was not escaping from some secretarial position in one of the downtown offices by reason of her appearance. Firstly her pale blonde hair was unbound, falling down her back and partially obscuring her face. Willow could only see the curve of a pale cheek. She found herself smirking at the thought that there was someone out there who saw even less sun than she did. The blonde hair fell down over a black coat, apparently made of leather, which obscured the entire length of the woman’s body. Willow so desperately wanted to see the woman’s face the she stood and shifted slightly to the right, revealing a pair of full lips and a handsomely appointed nose.

Willow instinctively lifted her Kodak and framed the mysterious woman in its viewfinder. She paused for a few moments as a strange feeling of familiarity coursed through her body while looking at the young woman. It was such an odd sensation that Willow felt she ought not to take the woman’s picture. She was about to lower her camera when the woman turned and looked over her shoulder, directly at Willow.
The redhead received such at frightful shock that her poised finger jabbed downwards and the shutter clicked audibly. A flush of embarrassment flooded Willow’s cheeks as she lowered the camera and found herself eye to eye with the young woman standing on the other side of the path. For the first time she saw that her eyes were an almost too brilliant shade of blue, a piercing look that was oddly warm and yet chilling at the same time.

At the point where a bolder individual may very well have strode across the path and made a dashingly apologetic introduction, Willow raised her hand and gave the woman a silly little wave. She stopped her wave abruptly as though realising its silliness and tried to make a graceful exit. In her haste, she tripped over her own feet and made the first few steps of her getaway look like a circus act. Willow practically ran from the park with her head down, clutching her Kodak tightly to her chest. Her lunch box remained forgotten on the park bench.

If Willow had dared glance back over her shoulder, she would have seen the sad but knowing smile on the woman’s face as though such antics were all too familiar. A scene from a book she had not read for a long time.

With Willow out of sight, she crossed the path and folded herself gracefully onto the park bench upon which the redhead had sat. Her black coat fell gracefully about her as she picked up the tin lunch box Willow had forgotten.

“You haven’t changed at all, Willow,” she murmured softly to the wind.

Last edited by Alcy on Thu May 22, 2008 1:46 pm, edited 40 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Van Rosenberg
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:33 pm 
9. Gay Now

Ooooh, Dibs for Alcy's latest fic! Go me, lol.

Ok, I am definitely intrigued. First off, you've created an intersting setting. I've always thought the late 1800's to early 1900's were an interesting time, and I'm pleased to see a fic set then. Secondly, you have Lara Croft in here, and I have to tell you. A good Lara Croft nod is always a plus ;)

Quote:
Only half-listening, Willow had picked up a small sixteenth century Dogon horseman and was making it trot across Lara’s desk. She did not look up to see the piercing expression on Lara’s face at the sight of the priceless African artefact being used like a child’s toy.

I love your Willow. She's quirky, smart, cute, and just all around Willow-y. And I wonder when she'll accept the feelings she's having for other women. Maybe with the appearance of the blonde we all know and love?

Quote:

And what is this, you sneaky little author you. How does Tara know Willow and how come Willow doesn't know Tara? Like I said, I am definitely intrigued. Looking forwards to the next chapter.

~Sara

Find out in Speak Easy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:39 pm 
18. Breast Gal

Alcy!!

Nice start you have here. There's so much, and I don't even know where to start. So I will simply say this is a fabulous idea and I can't wait to see where it goes. Stoker's Dracula is still my favorite book, ever, and the pages are falling out of my 5th copy, the others long since read to death.

I really can't wait to see where this is going to go.

Diane

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:19 pm 
3. Flaming O

I was so excited to see this in the update thread
and now, after reading it, I'm definitely hooked.

Quote:

this really makes me think Tara's the person writing the diary entry. The question 'How can that be?' is really bugging me but I as I've said before, you have me hooked.

Can't wait for the next update.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:05 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

The start is wonderful. Very interesting. It raise quite a bunch of questions so please update soon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:37 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Alcy
This fic is off to a great start! Intriguing, with the diary entry and 'the blonde woman' knowing Willow, and I love that the British Museum has a department for tracking down the supernatural headed by - of course - Lara Croft!

Looking forward to reading more.
Anne

Every path has its puddle. Old English Saying... I think I just stepped in mine...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:49 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Alcy: It's been months since I've posted feedback, but this new story you've begun demands a "well done!"

You've painted a portrait of Willow as Victorian eccentric, a role she seems to fit very well. Croft sums her up nicely:
Quote:
the little redhead’s quirks bordered on the edge of reclusive insanity.

So while Faith goes off to investigate Dracula's library, Willow will have her own mystery to look into, once the diary comes to light. You've left us with the tantalising question of how it is that Tara remembers their past life (?) but Willow does not.

I'll be eagerly awaiting updates to this tale.

Russ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:50 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

:pinky YAAAAAY you started another story good for us it is a very good start cant wait for more :kgeek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:03 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Very interesting, I would think that the writer of the diary is Tara and Willow (W) is what girl that the writer (Tara) is talking about, if it wasn’t for the over 100 years difference. But seeing as Willow is working in the Supernatural we can speculate the possibility of Willow and Tara being reincarnated Versions of the writer and W from the diary. But at the same time if they are reincarnations they most likely wouldn’t have the same names, its possible, but unlikely in my mind that W stands for the name Willow even if it stands for the name of who Willow is the reincarnation of… but I could still be way wrong. Which I probably am. I can’t wait to see what happens. Will Willow get her lunch box back? And how is that Picture going to come out? Guess ill find out later.

Thanks for the story.

SIX

note i think i found this quote in a story on here but i cant remember its one of my favorites and if any one recognizes it and knows the origin id be very grateful to have some one to give gratitude and credit to thanks

DJ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:28 pm 
9. Gay Now

Oh, Alcy. I couldn't get on the board for most of yesterday, and the first thing that I saw this morning when I checked it work was that you had a new story! I'm not entirely sure what "swooning" entails, but I'm pretty sure I swooned a lil bit. And then I see it's another fantabulous historical fic, with history and vampires and...Lara Croft?! *swoon*

I have nothing of relevance to say right now. You've reduced me to a squealing fangirl. OMG!!! AlcyFic! SQUEEEE!!!

(see?)
-Cam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:33 pm 
30. Sweaty and Kinda Gay

Wow, I'm really lovin' this story so far. You're a very good writer, and your dialogue is very smart. :) I could just see Willow as you described her--a little high-strung, one might say even a little eccentric, but very good at what she does. And I fell in love with Tara right away through her journal entry.... What wonderful story telling. Kudos

can't wait for the next chapter.

xoxo
Emms

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:49 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Alcy, you totally rock. Seriously. I love the style change from your last fic, but this looks like it's going to be so much fun. :D

Faith and Willow as associates is going to be hilarious. And bowing in fear of the infamous Ms. Croft. :P

Definitely will be tuning in.

diamondforever's fanfiction archive

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:52 am 
10. Troll Hammer

I like the technology being as far as I can tell a bit anachronistic. MEanwhile a veyr intriguing start (lunch break so couldn't cover thoroughly, darn it)

I'm sure Fiath Winters is just an extrapolation form Buffy Summers but the fact is the letter count from F to W is the same as the count from B to S, so of coruse I like that. (Egotisitcal footnote;in my mian AU I give Fiath a last anme staryting with W also *grin.)

Sue: We don't talk about things like that right after, you know that, no saying those things in The Moment.
Kim: (moves the hand aside) Screw The Moment. I *love* you.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:00 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Well it's another Alcy tale and your first chapter certainly doesn't dissapoint. Again, I'm not familiar with this universe but I just went and added it to my netflix queue so maybe I can watch it in the next week or two. In this update what stands out to me:

* The historical feeling/accuracy of the journal entry and the wonderful sensuality of it. I have to admit that you had me thinking that Willow was the writer until Tara calls her "W." It's so fantastically beautiful.

* The entire depiction of Willow in the 'now'. She seems very very real to me from her tin lunch box to her figety nature to her crumpled outfit. And Faith seems quite the foil for her. No Buffy? I seem to feel like you have not the best history with Buffy and sometimes seem to prefer Faith as a friend/befrender. Heck, I'm exactly the same.

* Lara Croft. Nuff said.

* Willow's "meeting" with Tara. How fantastically sexy!

Awesome. Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:29 pm 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

I wonder why you chose to set your new fic in a museum / historical setting? Honestly, you are so not the Kitten expert on those concepts!

All kidding aside and after reading this opening chapter, heartfelt congratulations on how smoothly you integrated multiple settings and made it into one very believable premise. Victorian England, the British Museum (yay!), Tomb Raider, with promises of Dracula and van Helsing. Wow. And wow again. Sometimes uber fics are so forced, like trying to fit round pegs (W/T and the Buffyverse characters) into a square hole (whatever uber universe the writer is trying to tackle). In your capable hands, that hasn't happened at all. Looking forward to seeing how all the (at the moment loose) threads come together.

Your characterisations are already so spot on, especially Cordelia's indignant huffiness (even though she only said a few words), Faith's eager openness, and Willow...perfectly portrayed. I'm trying not to speculate about the identities of the two protagonists in the 1777 diary (I had a moment of amusement when I thought it could have been set on 7.7.1777), and the mysterious woman in the park. The "W" of the diary is a red herring perhaps? Not Willow, since the style of the writer of the diary reminds me of Willow herself. The stranger in the park is W? She has to be one of the characters in the diary, right? Not a reincarnation, someone who has lived that long.

When Willow develops the picture, will there even be an image of the blonde woman? I'm thinking, I'm thinking. You know what that means? This has already captured my attention and imagination. Bravo.

Debra wrote:
No Buffy? I seem to feel like you have not the best history with Buffy and sometimes seem to prefer Faith as a friend/befrender.

Ah Elvis, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Alcy will introduce Buffy at an opportune moment. After all, we can't have an Alcy fic without a Buffydeath can we?
[br]

Last edited by watty on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:45 am 
8. Vixen

Yaaay, a new Alcy fic!
Lara Croft and WT in one *swoons*
I wonder how Tara (she is the stranger in the park right? And the diary author?) will approach Willow and what's going on between Lara and Faith... :p
And I am certain that you will succeed in killing Buffy once more as Watty said :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:59 am 
18. Breast Gal

Topics: 4
I want to marry this fic! Seriously, Willow and Tara, Van Helsing, and Lara Croft all at once! :party Admittedly I've always been a bit so-so on Dracula - always seemed a bit too much set in its time for me to enjoy - but I'm sure you'll weave it all together without missing a beat.

A very mysterious opening chapter - obviously, who was Willow that she's been recognised, and what happened to erase that and make her who she is now? That was a subplot in VH as well, but I'm resisting the temptation to draw answers from that source - I suspect you have something different planned.

And of course the biggest mystery, how's Buffy going to die this time? :paranoid (I'm wondering if all these Buffydeaths are part of the biggest set-up in fanfic history, and that one day Buffy won't die, and it'll catch us all completely off guard.)

Though, I'm having trouble picturing Lara without her trusty H&K 9mms - I wonder what the turn-of-the-century equivalent is?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:55 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Alcy,

I should totally be flogged in the public square for reading all your fics, loving them and not having the decency to leave you positive feedback. S here is my first gushing feedback to your newest fic: wow!

After reading your take on 'Sin City', a movie which I liked a lot, I can't wait to see what you do with Dracula, Van Helsing and the Historian! Faith as an English monster fighter seems thoroughly fitting in this setting and Lara Croft having the hots for Faith it's inevitable, isn't it?

Your depiction of Willow is thoroughly amusing and when I read her waking up and trying to find an ironed shirt I kept getting an image of Willow as a young male brilliant scientist thoroughly engaged in his work but completely clueless about the real world. And oh Tara as the one with the knowledge or shall I say bearer of their joint memories in a past life! It's strangely fitting again that it would be her that would remember them. You have turned the 'I will find you' around and it's Willow who has been lost for god knows how long and Tara who has come from god knows where to finally find her. Simply lovely.

I am totally looking forward to the rest of your fantastic tale. I'm a sucker for the Dracula story have been since I first l watched Bela Lugosi in the starring role when I was 10. I know that your depiction of it won't dissapoint. Thanks for sharing.

Safuega

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:06 am 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

tazraven: Hi Sara, congrats on the dibs! I agree re the setting, the clunky technology and rate of invention in the 19th century leaves a lot of scope for imaginative storytelling. Of course, I always thought that Lara Croft would fit quite nicely into this period as well!
I’m really glad that you’re enjoying Willow, her characterisation in this fic is a marked departure from Sin City, R & R or Captain Red. The circumstances in this fic led themselves to a much more canon-like Willow that I really enjoy writing.
And in regards to ‘how does Tara know Willow and how come Willow doesn't know Tara?’, I will keep my lips (or rather my fingers!) sealed and leave you and all the other Kittens to enjoy the twists and exciting plot reveals that I have in store.

dlline: Thanks very much Diane! I do feel as though I have packed an awful lot into this fic and I fear that it is only going to get even more crowded as the story develops. You will have to bear with me through what will be a complex story.
I’m glad I can borrow the setting of your favourite story, although I hope I will not disappoint on detail as I am not an avid enthusiast, but I do love Stoker’s vision for a good tale.

KloeFrost: Glad to have you hooked into my newest story! Tara may very well be the person writing the diary…although it may also be a number of people. I will leave you guessing over the coming chapters!

viximon: I’ll be updating pretty soon but I’m afraid the questions will keep coming, read closely because there are a lot of clues hidden throughout the story.

spells42: Hello there Anne, I’ve always thought that Museums should be places of mystery. Although I found out much to my disappointment when I started working in one that they are more full of bureaucracy than mystery so this is my way of brining a little of that about. Thanks for reading!

russ: Well howdy Russ, nice to hear from you again and thank you very much for your kind feedback! I’ve always thought that Willow would make a wonderful Victorian eccentric and she’s proving fun to write as one. I hope I can provide both tantalising answers and questions on top of questions as this tale continues.

Dianneswillowtree: Hey there, thanks very much, I’m glad to provide another story for all the Kittens to enjoy! It is one of my favourite pastimes after all!

drdj2006: Keep the speculations coming, it’s really interesting to read them knowing exactly what is going on and seeing how readers perceive the mysteries hidden within the story. I hope you’re enjoying trying to solve the problems written into the diary and the main story! Thanks for enjoying.

tarawhipped: Hi Cam, dontcha hate not being able to get onto the board? It’s always irritating when you can’t get your Kitten fix for the day! I’m not sure what swooning entails either but I’m sure I’ve written about it at some stage! I should be pleased that I have reduced you to a squealing fangirl although I hope you haven’t burst a blood vessel with all that ‘squeeeing!’

Emms: Thanks for lovin’ the start of my wee fic Emms and thank you once again for your kind praise. I always struggle with thinking that my dialogue sounds a little odd but then again everything sounds odd when you’re talking to yourself! It’s really great to hear that it comes across okay. I’m glad you love the characters as well, Van Rosenberg has definitely been a great exercise in characterisation so far.

diamondforever: I love changing up the styles with each successive fic, while they all bear a certain Alcy-style, each one is quite different in setting so it keeps me excited about writing. If I’m having fun then you can guarantee the chapters will keep on flowing! Thanks!

DaddyCatALSO: As I said above, clunky technology makes for a lot of fun in inventing old/new things. I hope the first chapter provided good lunch time reading for you! I always give Faith the last name of Winters, I guess because I like the surname and because Summers – Winters fits quite nicely.

JustSkipIt: Hi Debra, very glad not to disappoint! Van Helsing was never the best of movies but I hope I can take all the good parts and combined with the other Universes I’m borrowing from, write a good wee yarn.
Im really chuffed you enjoyed the ‘historical feeling/accuracy of the journal entry’ – I do enjoy Jane Austen novels! The diary entries are essential to the plot so it is important that each flows seamlessly and contributes something to the narrative and feel of the story as a whole.
Also glad you enjoyed Willow, I had great fun picturing her in her crumpled outfit and I always enjoy writing Faith. It is true that Buffy has yet to make an appearance and I have to admit that I do prefer writing Faith as Willow’s best buddy because I enjoy her character and feel that there is more scope to work with. In saying that, Buffy could very well make an appearance in this fic!

watty: Yes, the setting would seem to be a little loaded towards my job and my interests but hey, I’m writing about what I know…apart from the demons, vampires, supernatural etc etc…
Thank you very much for your congrats on the opening chapter. I’m glad it didn’t feel like I was fitting several square pegs into one round hole! But really, the settings aren’t all that far removed from canon so it comes relatively easily.
I don’t think I’ve ever actually written Cordelia in one of my fics so it will be quite fun to portray her.
I’m sorry to disappoint that the diary wasn’t set on 7.7.1777 mostly because I didn’t think about that! I’m interested to read your speculation and I’m glad I’ve got your imagination working overtime, that’s always good right? Getting a brain workout while reading?
And I’ll have you know that I have written two fics where Buffy does not die…although granted in WYTN? I made her a homophobic bitch which is almost the same…

WillowRulez: This isn’t really meant to be a Tomb Raider crossover, other than the fact that I have stolen Lara Croft…but she’s the best part of TR right?! I seemed to have gained a bad rep in relation to Buffy…however will I redeem myself?!

Artemis: Hi Chris, I can just imagine you and the fic saying your vows! I’m sure I won’t disappoint by saying the I am barely covering the actual plot of Dracula so it will be safe to say this is new and improved. However, I do love Stoker’s imaginative universe so it is good to borrow some elements from it.
I’m not normally given over to chucking so much mystery into my fics but this one just came out as one big mystery…with several mysterious subplots. You are indeed right in that it is a subplot in Van Helsing and I don’t want to give too much away but I can say this is quite different.
Haha…what’s that you say, I write Buffy into a fic and then I don’t kill her? That’s going to be awfully hard as my fingers are always itching to type out the words ‘die Buffy die!’ Seriously, Buffy will come along and I may let her live.
You may miss Lara’s 9mms, I’m missing her hotpants, somehow I don’t think they would be found acceptable in 1897!

Safuega: There will be no flogging for not leaving feedback, if that was law then I would be constantly flogged for forgetting and running out of time for leaving feedback on some of my favourite fics….but I am happy that you have popped by to say how much you’re enjoying the latest instalment.
Thanks for reading Sin City and I’m really glad you liked it. The settings in this fic are all ones that I enjoy to differing extent so it will be fun to play with them.
Willow does seem to be awfully clueless about the world and I think as you read successive chapters you will come to see that this is both a result of her upbringing and her personality.
While I haven’t expanded on Tara’s character (or even said that it is her!!!) I will definitely be slowly introducing her over the coming chapters. But you are very right in that whoever wrote the diary seems to be the keep of the memories so to speak.
Thanks very much for reading along and stay tuned for the next instalment which is finished and just being edited.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:26 am 
5. Willowhand

This looks like it will be an awesome story and I can't wait to see where you go with it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:19 pm 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

PancakesinBellies: Hi there! Thanks very much but patience is required to see where all of this will end up.

Without further ado, here’s the next instalment…

Chapter Two

16 September 1777

Tonight unfolded like any other of the season. Sir John’s party was gay enough to be sure. All the names were present but I was fearfully bored. Father has been waylaid in Plymouth this past week, so Edward escorted mother and I with his approval. I must note that father expects Edward to ask for my hand soon and I know he shall give his consent for it is a very fine match. I do not wish to dwell on it but I should think that this time next season, for better or for worse, I shall be Mrs Edward Walsh…though I know full well my heart yearns for another. Someone who is intelligent where Edward is slow-witted, interesting rather than dull and so very handsome when compared to Edward’s rather homely features. Oh I know looks should count for naught but if you could just see W! Wonderful, precious W whom I have not seen for months. W whom I was delighted to reacquaint myself with tonight at Sir John’s party. The moment our eyes met, it was clear that neither of us had forgotten the last, lingering kiss we shared in the Marlborough’s stables that windswept spring day. I would have liked for nothing more in the world than to resume that kiss, for W to sweep me close and smother me with those lips. As we stared at one another, my bosom heaved as though the kiss were a reality and not mere fantasy. I found myself imaging W’s hands roaming over my flesh. I was lost. It was a summons from Edward that broke me out of my reverie and I awoke from the dream in W’s eyes. I barely had time to whisper a promise of a more intimate meeting before W too was summoned away by Abraham and I stood alone in the crowded room. The whole time we had laid not one finger on each other, nor even taken one step closer together, yet I could remember the touch of her hands on my flesh.

When I returned to Edward he questioned me as to what W and I conversed about, “The state of the roads and the weather,” remarked I (for both have indeed been dreadful this season).

If Edward detected my lie he said nothing and continued in his boring voice, “W does look particularly well.”

I almost choked for a moment, so ridiculously unsuitable were his words!

“No,” I replied in a moment of utter abandon, “She looks beautiful.”

~~~~~~

Willow Rosenberg was in her element. She was perched behind a desk every bit as large as that belonging to Lara Croft. The fact that it had seen better days did not seem to worry her in the slightest. The desk’s entire surface was stacked high with all manner of books and manuscripts with no apparent rhyme or reason to their organisation. Even the space directly in front of Willow was stacked with paper. Every so often she scribbled with mad energy on the topmost sheet, dipping her pen in an ink jar balanced atop a stack of books. She would them resume reading the text that lay in her lap until her next bout of scribbling.

A loud rap startled Willow. She jerked upright from where she was hunched over the text and one hand hit the lip of her desk. If the desk had been any less solid, there would have been a disaster involving puddles of ink and priceless manuscripts. As it was, Willow shook her hand up and down furiously as she turned to see Faith standing in her office doorway.

Faith glanced up at the single lightbulb that dangled overhead and squinted at its feeble light, “It’s a wonder you do not go blind Will, how can you see anything in this gloom?’

Willow’s brow furrowed and she studied her tiny office as though she had not noticed. A small amount of natural light filtered down from the slit of a window just below the ceiling. The overcast skies outside and heavy grill covering the glass combined to make it smaller still. In response to Faith’s question Willow shrugged, she could see everything just fine. There were walls of books stacked to the ceiling and more stacked on the floor. In fact, besides the desk and a rag rug on the floor, books were the only real furnishings. There was little else in the room besides a few artefacts that Faith had brought back from her travels around the globe. A Native American dreamcatcher above her desk (as Willow tended to do most of her sleeping there), an assortment of rather wicked looking African war spears stacked in one corner, sever idols crammed into available nooks on the shelves and a cavalry sabre that had been in Willow’s family for generations in pride of place above the doorway.

“I have excellent eyesight,” Willow answered quickly, she appeared a little furtive and her gaze kept twitching back to the manuscript in front of her, “What do you want?”

Faith arched an eyebrow. She knew exactly what that tone in Willow’s voice indicated. Whatever it was that she was working on had engrossed her to the point where she could not bear to be interrupted.

“A better question is what is so important that it could keep you from coming to see me off before I leave for the dark and mysterious depths of Eastern Europe from which I may never return?” Faith fired the question back at Willow.

Willow looked decidedly guilty in response, “I’m sorry…these texts…”

“Yes I know, ‘these texts were so fascinating that I could not draw myself away to say farewell to my dearest friend,’” Faith imitated Willow’s scholarly tone, “You should be ashamed of yourself, Rosenberg, now come and assist with my preparations to atone for your crime!”

Faith reached down and grabbed Willow’s wrist in order to haul her up and out of her seat. Willow protested only at the movement of her crooked and stiffened limbs. She was made to move much too fast, too soon but Faith did not seem to notice or care.

Willow’s office may have been in the basement of the British Museum but there were other levels deeper down and far more private than her little den. This was where Faith now led her, into the warrens where the majority of their department was based far away from the museum’s day-to-day staff. A solitary black-coated man let them through a rather rickety looking elevator at the end of a dark corridor. To an outsider, it looked like the repository for the Museum’s garbage. Their department’s staff had perpetuated that appearance by never cleaning the rusty wrought iron cage and there was one spot in the elevator’s wooden floor that was completely rotten where all knew not to put their foot.

If anyone asked Willow or Faith what their department was actually called they would simply reply ‘The Department of Oddities’ and not offer any further explanation. However Faith once went as far to reply to one dismissive curator that it was the department of ‘phenomena that everyone else ignores.’ Both Willow and Faith liked that particular explanation as it summed up the truth of their world quite nicely. No one else wanted to believe that creatures such as vampires, demons and ghouls walked the shadows of the world. Faith had saved countless people from a hideous death and they had been none the wiser for it and not in the least bit grateful. Once Willow’s research and Faith’s brawn had saved the world from the hell god, Ataxerxes, preventing his resurrection and subsequent storms of fire and brimstone…again, the rest of the world had not paused to notice save for a page two reference in The Times to the wanton vandalism of an ancient Persian tomb. Faith had destroyed the tomb in order to prevent a repeat performance seven hundred and fifty years later.

The corridors two stories below ground were much the same as those above, although of course lacking windows. An abundant smattering of paintings covered the walls attempted to compensate for lack of a view. While picturesque landscapes could have served the purpose, most of the paintings were of old men in stiff, formal poses. There was one particular painting of the formidable ‘Abraham Van Helsing,’ that Willow hated to look at. Old ‘Abe’ as Faith called him, unnerved Willow every time she passed. Faith also teased her mercilessly about her resemblance to the old man, Willow could see very little of this other than that they both had bright green eyes.

Willow passed old ‘Abe’ now, and he appeared to be staring down his nose at her just as he always did. She turned up her own nose in defiance as she passed and gratefully followed Faith through a door bearing a heavy brass plaque stating, ‘Implements and Inventions.’ Someone had affixed a ratty piece of paper above the plaque bearing a single name, Dr Rupert Giles.

“Faith, Willow, come in ladies, come in!” the very man himself greeted them warmly as soon as they entered, even though they could not see him in the gloom.

The room was in complete darkness. Willow shivered as the shadows pressed in on her from all sides, she hated the dark. Subconsciously she began edging backwards towards the door and the lit corridor outside. Icy fingers gripped her arm and she yelped audibly. Spinning around she found the outline of Myles’ face staring back at her, his white teeth flashing in a smile.

A beam a light suddenly cut through the darkness, and then a second. Willow shielded her eyes with her fingers as it shone directly into her eyes.

“Giles, what is that?” Faith asked with some excitement, Willow saw her move forward to the source of the light.

“Master Myles, the lights if you please,” Giles waved the beam in Myles’ face.

Willow sighed with relief as the room was once again light up completely to reveal Giles perched on his stool behind his work desk. He held in his hands two metal tubes with bulbs at one end. A small switch on the side was flicked and the bulbs went out.

“I call it a beamlight, some chap was designing a decorative device for potted plants, would never make any money of course…but I saw its potential for this!” Giles waved one of his tube devices excitedly, “A simple tube containing batteries connected to a bulb. The original zinc-carbon batteries ran down too quickly but I simply switched them to ones of my own creation with an alkaline/manganese core and voila, portable electric light for all those dark places.”

“Great idea…stupid name,” Faith commented as she accepted the pair that Giles handed her.

“Here’s one for you too, Willow,” Giles passed another of his little tubes across the table.

Willow nodded her thanks and looked down at the portable light, for someone who was afraid of the dark, it was a great gift.

Willow shared a close relationship with the inventor, she thought of him as a father figure, although would never actually admit it to him. Although in truth she had spent more time with him than her own father and known him almost as long. Giles had been her very first tutor, or rather, her brother’s tutor. At first she had hid in the closet during Alex’s lessons until an inadvertent sneeze had given her away. Rather than banish her from the schoolroom, Giles had allowed her to stay. He even stood up to her mother’s protestations that little girls did not need to receive the same education as boys. As a result, Willow had started early on Greek, Latin and the Classics up until Giles had been dismissed shortly after her brother’s death. Giles remained a figure throughout her childhood and on into adolescence although their communication was almost solely through the mail. He would send her books on archaeology, puzzles and ciphers for her to work out, and translation lessons to complete and post back for marking. While Willow continued to have a succession of tutors appointed by her mother, her real learning took place by mail.

She did not see Giles again until she was seventeen, at which time she had learnt of his approach to her parents with the suggestion that she attend Girton College, the first residential college for women in England. Willow remained uncertain exactly why her father had taken up Giles’ suggestion and allowed her to enrol in the College despite the fact that public opinion would deny women access to higher education at all. Giles himself remained close-mouthed on the conversation that had taken place between him and her father. For someone who enjoyed unravelling mysteries as much as Willow, it was a source of constant irritation.

The College taught women on the same level as men although they were not allowed to take degrees. Willow had however excelled in every subject and examination. Her path from Girton to the British Museum had also been surprisingly easy, especially as Willow had prepared herself to face the realities of her sex upon leaving the college at the age of twenty. She did not expect to find gainful employment of any kind, let alone an occupation as stimulating and with as much scope as the one in which she found herself. Giles had once again stepped in with an invitation to work in the Department of Oddities at the British Museum. While Willow had found her initial induction into the Department’s weird and dangerous doings hard to stomach, she soon found that it was still just research…although infinitely more fascinating.

“Willow doesn’t need a bloody light!” Faith protested as she saw Giles pass one to Willow, “She doesn’t leave London let alone travel to the dark places I do!”

“Faith,” Giles growled, “Stop being ungrateful, “Besides, I’ve several other items here that might also interest you…”

As Faith allowed herself to be distracted by a self-loading crossbow that fired silver bolts, Willow and Myles found an immense amount of enjoyment in trying out the beamlight. The two acted like children as they crawled beneath the benches in Giles’ office and discovered all manner of discarded bits and bobs on the floor with the light. Giles did not even notice their antics until he had finished loading Faith’s bag full of weird instruments almost half an hour later. He glanced up to see Myles and Willow poking and prodding at a glass jar containing a large, pink, gelatinous object swimming a clear liquid.

“You two, put that down!” he squeaked, practically leaping across the distance that separated him from the two troublemakers.

“What is it?” Myles asked in fascination, allowing Giles to take the jar out of his hands.

“The heart of a Cretan Minotaur,” Giles replied, “He now stalks the halls of the British Museum as a ghost, slicing the hands off little boys who touch things that they ought not to!”

Willow giggled at the horrified look on Myles’ face and turned her attention back to Faith, who was strapping up the hefty bag Giles had given her. She put on her best apologetic expression as Faith noticed she was looking and glanced across at her.

“Faith,” Willow began in a small voice, “I’m awfully sorry about how rude I was earlier but I was wondering if you would be able…”

“Yes Willow, I will bring you back as many books as I can carry,” Faith did not even need to hear the rest of the researcher’s question to know exactly what it was she would ask for, “Satisfied?”

“Yes, very…safe travels, Faith,” Willow said sincerely, “I guess we’ll see you when you get back…with an armload of books.”

“Don’t get up to any mischief while I’m gone…either of you!” Faith warned, pointing her finger at Willow and Myles in turn.

Faith took a few last minute instructions from Giles before she hefted the bag onto her shoulder. Willow did not doubt that she would soon see the brunette strolling through the exact same door with a plethora of new tales to tell…and hopefully a few new books from a forgotten library. As Faith left, she spied a thin volume on Giles’ desk with a promising title and began flipping through it.

Myles glanced up at Willow as Faith shut the door behind her. He poked her in the arm to get her to look up from the book she was browsing.

“Don’t you want to ride off with her?” asked Myles with clear longing in his voice, “Just once?”

“Absolutely not,” Willow replied promptly, “There’s more than enough adventure for me in here.”

“Well, it seems awfully exciting to me,” Myles sighed wistfully, “But then the most exciting thing I usually get to do is polish the swords.”

Myles picked up a wickedly sharp looking dagger with a carved handle inset with rubies and absently picked at the wooden desk beneath it.

“And that’s all you’ll be doing for the rest of your very short young life if you do not stop gouging holes in my table!” Giles snapped yet again, he then saw Willow trying to hide one of his books behind her back in order to sneak it out with her, “Out with the both of you…out!”

~~~~~~

On Saturday afternoon of that week, Willow found herself standing on the top step of a quaint, well-proportioned terraced house owned by Ira and Sheila Rosenberg. She reached up to knock on the pale blue door but paused before she brought knuckles down as though contemplating turning around. However she knew that would only delay the inevitable. In order to play the part of dutiful daughter, she had to actually spend time with her parents once in a while no matter how unpleasant the task was. Besides, she had donned a skirt and shirt for the occasion so she thought she may as well torture herself further.

Willow knocked on the door twice and barely had to wait two seconds before a stiff backed butler swung it open to allow her entrance. She had barely placed a foot over the threshold when she was engulfed by a tiny storm in mauve taffeta and white lace. Willow drew in a huge gulp of air before arms went around her neck and threatened to strangle her. It seemed like an eternity as the taffeta clad strangler danced around her much too enthusiastically. On the verge of passing out, Willow was forced to push the miniature storm away and hold it at arms length.

“Mother, please!” Willow cried in desperation.

Shelia Rosenberg finally accepted that her daughter did not appreciate the over-enthusiastic greeting and allowed her a minimal amount of breathing space. She did however maintain a strong grip on Willow’s elbow as though fearing she might run away again.

Shelia carried the same shade of red hair as her daughter but while Willow’s hair sat straight and plain down to her shoulders; hers was piled atop her head in an elaborate mass of curls in an attempt to add height. Where Willow had hardly any meat on her bones, Sheila was in danger of having too much. Her bosom strained against the taffeta trying to keep it at bay. She carried with her the faint but sickly aroma of chocolate and candied fruit as well as far too much apple blossom fragrance in an effort to disguise the former.

“You’ll forgive your mother won’t you Wilhelmina, we don’t see you very often!” Shelia beamed, rosy cheeks sparkling as she sized her daughter up.

Willow sighed heartily at the sound of her given name, “I prefer Willow…everyone else I know is more than happy to use it.”

“Well your father and I are not ‘everyone!’” Shelia replied shortly, for some reason she was pinching the flesh on Willow’s upper arm, “No parent in their right mind would call their child Willow.”

Willow had to physically fight her own body to stop herself from stomping her foot in angry exclamation as she had done so many times as child. The urge was fixed by turning her left foot inwards and standing on her own right foot.

“Well I feel like a Willow,” Willow replied resolutely.

She suddenly noticed just how hard her mother was squeezing and she yanked her arm away. Shelia looked slightly take aback by the vehemence of Willow’s reaction but she brushed it off with a small chuckle as though Willow was just being silly.

“You’re awfully skinny darling, are you not eating? Well, it’s a good thing cook has prepared the most sumptuous meal because you are in danger of fading into nothing!”

Willow nodded as though she were looking forward to the meal although in truth eating with her mother always ruined her appetite. Sheila was in the habit of talking constantly throughout the meal, barely giving Willow a chance to take a bite of anything before demanding conversation. Having grown up in such company, it was why Willow now preferred to eat alone.

Sheila led Willow through the house, all the while talking in an animated voice. Willow paid scant attention but all she was really required to do was nod at appropriate moments and largely agree with her mother’s every word.

“Colonel!” Shelia bellowed suddenly as they entered the formal dining room, “Colonel!”

Despite Sheila’s bellows, Ira Rosenberg did not see fit to join his wife and daughter until they were halfway through the first course. He did not appear to be the sort of man who would be ordered about by his wife. He too was of small stature but rather than compensate with his hair, of which he had none, Ira made up for it with his bearing. He carried himself with the military precision possessed only by someone who had spent the greater part of his life in the army which indeed Ira had. For nearly thirty years he had served in Her Majesty’s Army, making a name for himself in the colonies and eventually being given a staff post in India. It was in India that he met Shelia who was a High Commissioner’s daughter and where his two children were born. It was only with great reluctance that he retired and returned to England for his son’s education. His military background persisted into civilian life and he was always referred to as ‘Colonel,’ even by his own wife.

He now paused to deposit the barest graze of a kiss on Willow’s cheek with a murmured, “Daughter.”

Willow caught a whiff of brandy as he leaned in close, it had always been present but now smelt stronger than ever.

“Good evening, Father,” she replied, never being able to bring herself to call her own father ‘Colonel.’

Ira quickly moved to his seat at the head of the table without a further glance in his daughter’s direction. Willow sighed discreetly and ate another spoonful of the rich and creamy chicken soup; it was tasteless in her mouth.

The courses then flew by in a whirl of one-sided conversation. Shelia was exceptionally gifted at getting her point across with her mouth full and another forkful on the way. Willow just shifted her food around on her plate with her fork and felt what little she had eaten start to congeal in her stomach.

Willow desperately wanted to escape after dinner but before she knew what was happening her mother had ushered her into the sitting room and left her with no choice but to sit down. She deliberately chose the most uncomfortable chair in the room so as not to fall asleep when Shelia began plying her with suggestions of potential husbands, describing the merits of each in great detail. Her mother poured a large glass of red wine for herself and took a hefty gulp before starting on an all too familiar rant.

“Now that young Swainson lad, a year younger than you but I don’t think he can afford to be picky with skin like his, now he would make a fine match. His family are involved in wool in Wiltshire and have a fine estate just outside of Westbury, it is Westbury isn’t it Colonel?” Sheila craned her neck in her husband’s direction but was nonplussed by his resulting bored shrug, “Well, I’m sure it’s Westbury…wouldn’t be too far for the Colonel and I to come and visit often.”

Willow nodded in response, she was sure the ‘Swainson lad’ was nice enough whether he had skin problems or not, she was just not in the least bit excited by the prospect of marriage. The thought of her parents ‘visiting often’ almost brought on a small fit.

“Oooh!” Sheila exclaimed with delight and clapped her hands together as though she had just won at bridge, “Sir Joseph Pharazyn’s wife died last month in childbirth, the poor thing was always a bit frail…it’s a bit too soon to make a move now but perhaps next month we can invite ourselves to Banbury for tea. I’ve heard his children are very well-behaved, not that you have to worry about the children…that’s what nannies are for.”

Willow was sure that she had heard her mother state on several occasions that the seven Pharazyn children were horrid little devils. Although Willow had nothing against children, she did not think she could handle seven children…spawn of the devil or not.

Sheila pursed her lips together thoughtfully as she considered further options, “There’s always Sir Joseph’s brother, Robert, you’ve met him haven’t you?”

“He stole my copy of Thucydides when we were ten,” Willow growled as though it were the worst crime anyone could commit, “I haven’t spoken to him since.”

“That’s wonderful dear, so you two will have something in common…I’ve heard he will be at the Barton’s party next week where they’re announcing Beth’s engagement. Honestly, I don’t know how a trollop like that could have landed a nice young man like Matthew Phelps. She is awfully homely…still, I suppose her dowry was 10,000 pounds and the Phelp’s have never recovered from the old man’s gambling debts,” Sheila paused as though she had lost her train of thought, “Where was I? Oh, Robert…yes, you will have to attend the Barton’s party. We should go to Crozier’s this week to size you up for a new gown, I’m sure those ones I had made for you last season will hang on your body like sacks, you’ve lost so much weight.”

Willow glanced downwards, quite sure that she was exactly the same size as she had been the previous year. In fact, she did not think she had gone up or down a size in the past ten years. Once she’d hit fifteen, she had stopped growing in any direction.

“I’m not much for parties,” Willow managed to squeeze a word in as her mother took another gulp of wine, “I think…”

“Nonsense, where else are you supposed to get noticed!” Sheila cried.

“Well…” Willow wanted to say that she would prefer it if no one ever noticed her but Sheila had other ideas.

“You’re actually quite pretty Wilhelmina…red hair is definitely not in fashion of course but that never prevented me from being snapped up by your father…”

Ira did not even look up from his copy of The Times, he merely grunted.

“…if you did something with your wretchedly awful hair and applied some more colour to your face…you would have no trouble in attracting scores of men. You’re twenty-six…”

“Twenty-five,” Willow corrected quietly.

Sheila did not miss a beat, “…and sooner or later people will start calling you a spinster to your face…they already do behind you back and how it vexes me so! It’s a reflection on me as much as you.”

Willow quite liked the idea of being labelled a spinster. Women in her mother’s circle said the term in the same tone of voice as they might say ‘leper’ and she liked the prospect of being untouchable. Perhaps then her mother would leave all this talk of marriage and move onto more sensible topics of conversation like politics and war. Willow glanced across to her father, longing to discuss with him the major military build up in the Cape Colony and the likely prospect of another war. Instead he remained immersed in his paper. She turned her attention back to Sheila as she poured another glass of wine.

“Mother, I think I should…” Willow had had more than enough of her mother for one day.

“Or what about Foster’s son, you know him,” Sheila gestured at her husband with her wine glass, “Foster served in the 107th with you didn’t he Colonel?”

“No backbone whatsoever,” Ira grumbled over the top of the fourth page of The Times, his only addition to the conversation, “Won’t have my daughter marrying the son of a coward!”

Sheila shrugged and took another long gulp from her glass before continuing with a list of further names.

On the whole Ira Rosenberg said very little, he remained seated on the very edge of his chair as he read his paper as though he were about to get up and leave at any time. He looked for all the world as though he wanted this torment to be over as soon as possible. It would not have bothered Willow so much if she did not remember sitting on his lap while he spoke of his adventures in the East, of foreign sights and spices. She could not remember exactly what he said, but always she would plead, “Tell us more Daddy!” The ‘us’ was referring to herself and her brother. Alexander was three years her elder and the apple of her father’s eye. He often sat straight-backed on his stool in a manner imitating his father but always had patience for his sister. When Willow was five years old, the serious but kind-hearted boy was suddenly struck with a wasting illness. In just three days Alex was dead and both Ira and Shelia Rosenberg were forever changed. Ira retreated into the glory days of his past now that he was unable to live the life he had imagined through his son. Seemingly removing herself from all responsibilities as a mother, Shelia became self-centred and intent on allowing herself enough food and drink to satisfy an entire household.

Willow had then grown up under the care of a succession of nannies and tutors, most being driven away by her mother fairly quickly. It had been a lonely childhood until Willow had discovered that she had all the friends she could ever want between the pages of books. She devoured every written word that her eyes fell upon, beginning with the simple children’s stories that adults saw fit for her to read. However, being an incredibly sharp young girl spurred on by interesting mail from Giles, Willow soon became dissatisfied with fairy tales. She discovered that behind the door of her father’s study lay an entire world waiting to be discovered. There the young girl had wandered Ancient Greece with Odysseus, fled the fall of Troy with Aeneas, journeyed to the centre of the Earth with Verne and by the age of ten was grappling with Tolstoy. She suspected that her father had sent her to Girton not out of any progressive sentiments, but simply because he could see that she would not make a good wife for any man…she was wed to knowledge. Sheila however, had never come to this realisation and persisted in her match-making efforts much to Willow’s disgust. She had even invited potential suitors to dine with them until Willow had refused to come to dinner unless the practice was discontinued.

Willow was saved from further humiliation on this occasion by the Rosenberg’s butler entering with a tray of assorted chocolates. Shelia rubbed her hands together gleefully at the sight of the sweets and as she shovelled several in her mouth at once there was finally a pause in the conversation long enough for Willow to finally announce that she was leaving. It drew a most predictable response from her mother.

“But Wilhelmina darling, stay and have a drink with us!” Shelia pleaded even as she continued to chomp on the sweets crammed in her mouth.

Sheila rose from her couch and stumbled a little on her plump legs as she reached out to Willow. As the wine glass in her hand swayed dangerously, the antique Persian at her feet was saved only by the fact that the wine remaining in the glass was barely a stain at the bottom. Quite disgusted at her mother’s lack of restraint, Willow took a noticeable step backwards in the direction of the door. She watched as her mother implored her with chocolate stained fingers. Her father remained seated, back stiff as a ramrod, on his perch. Willow knew, without him saying a word, that he did not care if she left. As soon as she was gone he would banish his wife to her own parlour and retire to his library to relive his life in India by drowning himself in brandy and smoking several thick cigars.

“I don’t think so mother, you’ve had quite enough for the both of us,” Willow replied bravely, further digging the grave marked for an ungrateful child.

Not normally driven to outright disrespect, Willow’s nerves were completely frayed by the extended audience with her parents. For someone who relished solitude, being in the company of Shelia Rosenberg was like being in a crowd with everyone trying to talk at once.

Only the sound of such disrespectful words could have moved Ira Rosenberg to join in a conversation in which he had wanted no part. Talk of marriage was best left to his wife; his only part would be to bestow the blessing on a future son in law.

“You will apologise to your mother, Wilhemina,” Ira rumbled quietly, stabbing his finger in Willow’s direction.

Willow knew for a fact that her father expected his answer post haste. However, though the words were already on her lips, she found they would not come. Instead, she stared at the squat little man with his chin thrust forward, waiting for her to utter the apology and felt rebellion creep into her body. She knew full well that she should fight such thoughts down, keep them under control, but she was so tired of playing the dutiful daughter when her parents gave her absolutely nothing in return…nothing except an awful headache.

“I’m sorry Mother…” as Willow began she saw her father nod approvingly, “but I was just speaking the truth, you do drink too much and I for one would wish you to stop.”

“Wilhemina!” Ira gasped angrily.

Willow turned on her father, “You would wish her to stop too…if only you actually cared.”

As she turned to leave, Willow could hear Ira’s teeth grinding and her mother making little strangled noises as she struggled to draw a proper breath. She half expected her father to physically stop her from leaving and demand a second, sincere apology but there was no move made. As soon as she was out of that stifling room, Willow ran the rest of the way to the front door and out of the house. Once outside she slowed to a fast walk but did not turn and look back.

Without realising it Willow’s feet did not take her back to her little flat as she had originally intended. Instead she found herself tracing a path that she rarely used, past the brightly lit windows of London’s finest stores. She dodged strolling couples uncomfortably, feeling as though their eyes were always on her. Men in tipped their bowler hats to her and most often she barely managed a shy smile in return as she scurried past. Willow thought of her homey flat and wondered again why on earth she was walking the streets of London, alone and nearing dark, when she could be tucked up with the Thomas Hardy novel that she had been trying to find the time to read.

Her internal question was answered several minutes later when she found herself standing in exactly the same spot in which she had stood the previous afternoon. She surveyed the park, no longer lit up with bright sunshine but descending into the long shadows of night. One thing was the same however, sitting on the park bench exactly where she had left it in such a hurry, was her tin lunch box. She crossed to the bench and picked her favourite lunch box up with some relief. Her fingers traced its familiar lines as though there was something about it that was different. The feeling was so intense that she half expected to find something odd concealed inside. All she found were a few sandwich crumbs.

Willow rapped her knuckles on the lid of the box, a hollow sound in the almost empty park. When a few passers by scurried past her as though she were quite mad, Willow realised that she had been staring at the spot where she had seen the mysterious blonde woman. Her lips parted slightly as she drew in a breath, trying to work out a rational explanation for her actions. Rather than accept the possibility that she’d walked several blocks to stare at a spot where a stranger had once stood, Willow concluded that she had come to find her lunchbox.

You’ve got your lunchbox Willow, she thought, tucking the ordinary tin box under her arm, There’s absolutely no other reason for you to be standing in the park…alone…and it’s getting dark…

As Willow made her second hasty exit from the park in as many days, she too began to believe she was quite mad. She glanced up ahead and saw the one place where she knew she could restore her sanity and put what had been an awful day behind her. At 5.30pm on a Saturday evening, Willow Rosenberg ducked through the employee’s entrance to the British Museum. Security guards and cleaners greeted her warmly as she passed by on her way down to her basement. While Willow managed a smile for each, she did not stop until she reached her office. Only when the door was closed firmly behind her did she feel like her old self. The papers on her desk beckoned like old friends and she eagerly sat down to bury herself in something she could actually understand.

Myles found her still at her desk in the morning when he started work…sprawled fast asleep across her papers with an ink-stained thumb.

Last edited by Alcy on Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:45 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Dibarooni

So my copy of Van Helsing arrived yesterday from Netflix I'll try to workout/watch it Friday/Saturday. I have to say, it has Hugh Jackman (sp) so even if it sucks, I get to watch him which is totally worth it. I know, I'm totally a lesbian but he's a total hottie with a sexy accent.

On to the update. I love the exposition of how Willow got her education. Priceless and Giles is Faith's Q. Tee hee: a flashlight (torch in British?). The scene with Willow's parents is such a show not tell moment. I mean instead of telling us that her mother is insipid and overbearing and fat and her father distant and an asshole, you show it so well. Willow does manage to escape the evening so that's a plus. And back to the museum. Ha ha.

I love it.

Last edited by JustSkipIt on Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:47 pm 
3. Flaming O

I like it a lot so far. Very interesting. The dates of the diary entries are interesting. The story takes place in the 1800's, the diary in the 1700's. I am assuming that Tara is the writer and that W is Willow. And that the woman watching Willow was Tara. My best guess is something supernatural. Reincarnation? Lost Memories? I can't wait to read more.

Tara ended up next to Oz in the elevator. He looked at her, nodding to himself.
"What?" She asked.
"You look good. Kinda radiant."
Tara nodded. "I was resurrected a few days ago."
Oz arched an eyebrow. "That'll do it."
-Dark Congress

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:07 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

:pinky I am so loveing it and it is very interesting and intriguing can,t wait for more

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:10 pm 
5. Willowhand

Absolutely spiffing update. Unfortunately, patience has never been my strong point. *pouts*

Post subject: Re: Van Rosenberg (Updated 11 April)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:41 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Update! Cool! *searching madly for clues between the lines*
Willow life kinda sucks right now. I want her with Faith in "dark places" and stuff. And more than nothing, I want her to meet Tara already.
He he he. Keep the story up at your pace though, that way is more interesting. Good work

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:01 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

I was so oblivious to hidden clues in this chapter so any thing I’m speculating is probably highly obvious but hear goes any way.

Wilhelmina… where did that come from and where did she pick up willow. Did she perhaps pick it up from the person she is reincarnated from that is W in the diary???

How did the lunch box manage to stay on the bench and not get stolen??? Is that some of Tara’s working???

I find it interesting that the writer in the diary, who I believe to be Tara’s past self, is fighting off mirage and willow is avoiding her mother trying to marry her off.

I never really though her mother to be a large woman or very chatty and I find it very interesting. Her dad on the other hand needs to realize that he didn’t loose all his children. His daughter… Wilhelmina… (lol) … is still healthy young able and very hot. (Not that he would care about the hot but just a side note there.) In all I like what you’ve done with her parents.

When will we officially meet Tara??? I’m not a very patient women I need my willow and Tara :wtkiss goodness. Stress on the “and”.

I figured that Willows feet would lead her back to the British Museum or just randomly through London where she would run in to the “mysterious blonde” and they would go back to the British Museum together. (Or one could hope for the second or pray :pray )

Well I think that’s it. If not I’ll ad more later when I read it again when I’m not :sleep dead tired and doing mine and my work partners jobs at the same time. :happy

Oh and I’m so glad that we can repay you for entertaining us by entertaining you in return. LOL

SIX

note i think i found this quote in a story on here but i cant remember its one of my favorites and if any one recognizes it and knows the origin id be very grateful to have some one to give gratitude and credit to thanks

DJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:01 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Great story, I love the idea and can't wait to see where you take it. I can't wait for more Tara!!! Thanks for writing it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:41 am 
8. Vixen

I actually like that Lara Croft only has a ‘cameo’ and that it’s not a Tomb Raider story.
Quote:
“Yes I know, ‘these texts were so fascinating that I could not draw myself away to say farewell to my dearest friend,’” Faith imitated Willow’s scholarly tone, “You should be ashamed of yourself, Rosenberg, now come and assist with my preparations to atone for your crime!”

Faith rocks. Don't like her much in the show but in your fics I always like her!
Wilhelmina... hahahaaaaa!
Quote:
“No parent in their right mind would call their child Willow.”
She clearly doesn’t know Jada & Will Smith lol.
God! Sheila is annoying. She doesn’t even know how old her own daughter is.
Poor Alex! First Buffy, now Xander… you hate them all, don’t you? :P I know, I shouldn’t assume that Alex is Xander…
Great update as usual!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:28 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Still enjoying this immensely. I love the social politics that are being addressed concerning being a woman in that day and age. Curious about the letters, and the W and T that are referred to!

diamondforever's fanfiction archive

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 711 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next