The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3460 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 116  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fic: - The Sidestep Chronicle
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 3:05 pm 
Awesome points about the food chain Sass. It's kind of weird to look at our morality from an objective point of view. I mean, we think killing humans is wrong, and killing (other) animals needlessly is wrong, but it's okay to kill them for food, unless you're a vegitarian. But killing humans is under every circumstance wrong. It's a very self-centered way to look at the world. The sociologist in me(I'm not a sociologist BTW) tends to think that just like animals we strive to protect our own kind, and therefore have a very strong moral system in that area. Vamps don't like to kill their own kind, but don't object to capital punishment. The line is from Angel, S1 E7. The Master is talking to Colin about whether he should kill the three: " The taking of a life -- I'm not talking about humans, of course -- is a serious matter."

--------

If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.

Nothing gets in the way of fate. Not time, not space, not distance, no person or creature. Not even death. Eventually fate will bring them together."

-Excerpt from Katharyn's "The Sidestep Chronicle"

Post subject: Re: Good and Evil and Skunks
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 3:10 pm 
So is the mayor the lesser of two evils because he's either working towards good through the use of bad or using good to achieve bad? I mean, there's no way a person could argue that the Master is good. But the Mayor is different. Does his path choice towards evil make him more or less evil?

And actually I suppose it depends on how you view evil. Is the greater good more important than the individual, etc. Tara seems to think, greater good and realizes even though the Mayor seems to be up to know good, he can help her right now, so she choses to align herself with him at the moment.

However, she already had "darkness" whispering at her and she's managed to avoid it. Will working closer to evil than she has perhaps be the thing that pushes her closer because it will become easier and easier to justify little slips because they're small and will help in the long run or will seeing it keep her from jumping over the cliff because she is facing what she could be going towards?

And Sassette, any analogy employing skunks would be quite helpful. Almost as good as using garden weasels and ferrets.

-----------------
You can't shave an unsedated skunk.

Dawn: I gave birth to a pterodactyl.
Anya: Oh my god. Did it sing?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 6:49 pm 
Who is more evil - the Mayor or the Master?

Okay, I think I will end up confusing even myself here, but here goes:

On one level it comes down to the issue of souls (in the Buffyverse) or, in other words, the potential for good and evil. I said something somewhere (I think in Sass's thread, maybe not, but she was there) about how in Judaism there is the belief that each one of us was created with a yetzer hatov - the urge/inclination for good, and a yetzer hara - the urge/inclination for evil, as well as the free will to choose between them. Since we have the potential to do both good and evil, when we actually do good, that choice has meaning. If we were created to be automatically good, then doing good is meaningless.

So, the Master, since he is a demon and therefore soulless, is completely evil. He has no choice but to be evil, it is his nature - he is made up completely of the yetzer hara. He is simply following his nature and should be destroyed.

But the Mayor is human, or was human, which complicates the issue. At this point, how much of him is still human? How much yetzer hatov - potential for good - still exists in him?

So, is it more evil if you are just following your nature, or if you choose to be evil? I'm leaning towards the latter - I know that the villains/monsters/big bads on Buffy (and the X-Files as well, btw) that were the most human, yet chose to do evil always scared and disturbed me the most.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 8:21 pm 
Yes, that was over on the other thread, Pixie ...

But you raised a really good point. The idea that something with the potential to do good ... ie, in the Buffyverse, someone >>human<< ... turns to evil is incredibly disturbing.

I was having a Bar Conversation(tm) with my friend Lee awhile back (for "Bar Conversation(tm)" read "long-winded ramblings by two drunk people that tend towards the philosophical or the silly") and we hypothesized that a lot of the "monster" myths from early peoples - especially the ones that were common to disparate regions - arose from regular people with severe mental disorders. Because their crimes left such horrific "remains" (okay, okay ... I'll just say it ... "mutilated dead bodies"), these early peoples couldn't conceive of an actual PERSON doing such things, and so their minds turned to monsters to explain it away.

I suppose it's easier, in a way, to believe in monsters than to see the monster in your fellow man.

-Sass

Still not sharing the skunk analogy. And Katharyn? I know we got a little off-topic here, but you still love us, right?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 8:22 pm 
Just popping my head in the say I love this even more with every update. I am impatient....so the only thing I really really want is for the girls to really meet...outside of the dream world. I am learning patience...:D I love the way you write Tara in this fic....it is so familiar to me. I am not sure exactly why....but somehow very fimiliar. Can't wait for the next chapter.

--------------
She practically had genuine molded plastic stamped on her ass.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 8:28 pm 
Good point Pixie. The Mayor is I think soulless, as he said at one point in S3 something like "I'd sell my soul for a good short game. But I suppose it's a bit late for that." However, he does have potential for good, he just has much much more Potential for evil. The humans who choose to be evil are always the worst. Look at the Troika. That's what's made this season so different. The evil deeds of the Bads can't be explained by non-humanness. These people have (human)souls, the thing that's allegedly SO important in the good vs. evil thing, but they are arguably evil. Warren is definately without morals. But I think it's actions that make for evilness, and therefore the Mayor is probably more evil. While he hasn't done anything yet, what he will do is much worse. The Master and co. kill one by one, more slowly, the Mayor will destroy the entire town killing everyone in it in probably less than 12 hours. I think the evil factor there is higher. But then again, he eats them, probably a quicker and less terrifying death than death by vamp bite. Not to mention the horror of being chained up captive in the Bronze.

And as a footnote, I think part of Tara's indifference is akin to what Dave Barry said about the perks of being old: "When I hear about Global Warming, or Global Cooling, or some other disaster to destroy the earth in 50 years unless we do something drastic, I can frown, pretending to be concerned, while actually thinking 'Hey, no problem, I'll be dead.' "

She thinks(probably rightly) that she'll be dead by then, she would be I think 60, so in any case she'll have gotten the hell out of dodge.

Now if only I could write that much about my own story.

--------

If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.

Nothing gets in the way of fate. Not time, not space, not distance, no person or creature. Not even death. Eventually fate will bring them together."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 12:02 am 
Gee, wow, this is like a philosophical debate... wow.

Not surprisingly this whole thing that you are discussing here is in no way off-topic - it is something that is going to be going through Tara's mind as well. Though I do not make constant reference to it I hope that you will see that it is always lurking there.

As we continue I think you will see where Tara really is in this equation and where she wants to be. Time is a definite factor... not just the Mayor's 37 years to next alignment though. There is a time limit that Tara is working to I can't recall off hand if I have shown that yet... (this whole story is merging together for me... beyond beginning, middle, end I am sort of in the grey area myself!)

Willow... Willow will only complicate all of that adding a whole new level to the calculation. You might want to return to this then and the question of what a soul actually means...

Sass said "Still not sharing the skunk analogy. And Katharyn? I know we got a little off-topic here, but you still love us, right?"

Heck yeah - as I said not off-topic at all and yeah I still love you... you wanna debate this stuff go right ahead. I'll just admit now that I never looked at it in these terms when I was writing it. I was just trying to tell teh best story that I could with sort-of logical consistency throughout.

BTW No one has done this, so it's just a precaution, but given the spoilers we know are out there could you avoid using them as a basis for this discussion. I can see that it might slip in there. There are some unspoiled readers...

Thanks all... you have given me stuff to think about!

Katharyn

-------------

You hear that baby?

Edited by: Katharyn at: 4/5/02 10:06:12 pm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 12:15 am 
Ah, yes, but it's your internal consistency within the body of the fic that makes these sorts of discussions possible. *G* And while you might not have thought of it in these terms, I'd wager it's been in the back of your mind, like it's been in Tara's.

I was re-reading one of my earlier posts (I do that sometimes, to see if I still sound like a crack-monkey to myself half an hour or so later), and I talked about acts being divided up into three parts. As I re-read, I realized that this is how I think of characters: what do they want, why do they want it, and how far are they willing to go to get it?

This is the key, imho, to writing a good villain. "Destroy the World, Destroy the World, and Destroy the World" are bad answers to these questions. That's why S2 Angel was kind of ... lame. Something along the lines of "Become a Demon, Protect the People of Sunnydale, and As far as I have to without sacrificing my impressive miniature golf skills or old-fashioned manners" is MUCH more interesting. So, Katharyn, even if you haven't thought of it in so many words, I'm betting you can answer those questions for The Master and The Mayor ... which is why you write them well.

And yes, I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing how Vampire Willow fits into all of this stuff ...

I'm not even going to try to speculate on the prophecy thing, though ... my brain is kinda' tired.

-Sass

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 12:35 am 
I shall just say this Sass... Means to an end. And you would be surprised what I can answer.

My delightful beta reader Jo... aka Wizpup... has just returned the Part 13 (entitled "Wall of the Dead") to me. Look for that tomorrow evening.

To put this in filming terms... Principal Photography finished on this some time ago. I am trying to finish the "reshoots" this weekend and then it is all just post-production and test-screenings (AKA beta reading*S*)

Katharyn

--------------

You hear that baby?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 12:44 am 
Wow... an update and a philosophical debate all rolled up in one. :)

Great update, Katharyn. Interesting that the carving has now finished and Tara still doesn't know anything about Willow.. not even her name.

And I love the parts with the mayor. He's such a dichotomy. So many different levels to explore. I think that's what made him such a good big bad.

Anyhoo... wonderful part. Looking forward to more Willow time.

--------------------------------

"Honey, I'm the original one-eyed chicklet in the kingdom of the blind." - Glory

Post subject: Carving
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 2:57 am 
LQ... thanks. The carving is an interesting little aside inspired by Kerry (AKA Forrister.) Originally I was going to have it complete just in time for their meeting... but that seemed a bit cliched (I know... I have no idea how to get the accent on that!) So here it is... Tara has a representation of Willow and knows nothing "real" about her...

Wonder how that gets fixed?*S*

Katharyn

--------------

You hear that baby?

Post subject: Re: Fic: - The Sidestep Chronicle
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 7:43 pm 
Come on loyal readers... how could you let this slide to page 2? This is a page 1 fic!

--------

Post subject: The Sidestep Chronicle
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 8:33 pm 
Hear! hear! I agree. :)

"We few, we happy few."
"We band of buggered."

Post subject: Part 13
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 11:27 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Topics: 5
You know one of these days I am going to stop telling people that I will post these parts at a certain time... because I never do.*S* Least I am always early if not punctual right?

Part 13 below Kittens. Roll on the rewards of good Karma (guess for who?) This part is supposed to get to you... And if you were wondering how? after all I have done to them... here is the beginnings of the answer.

Katharyn
--------------------
Title: The Sidestep Chronicle – Wall of the Dead (Part 13)
Author: Katharyn Rosser
Feedback: Constructive criticism always welcome. katharynrosser@hotmail.com
Spoiler Warning: Pretty limited. The story occurs in an alternate universe though reference is made to events that occur in both realities.
Summary: Tara visits Sunnydale High…
Disclaimer: I still don’t own any of the copyrights or anything else associated with BTVS. All rights lie with the production company, writers etc, etc. I am making zilch from this series of stories.
Rating: 15
Couples: Closer yet…
Notes: If I am serious when I say that Karma is a big thing in this fic then there are things that have to be done… and things that shouldn’t be. A couple of those ‘should nots’ crop up here and in the next few parts. Good Karma anyone?
Thanks To: The philosophical debaters of this thread. I would love to think that the professional writers who we analyse so much sit down and try to work out these issues in advance… but I doubt it. I think that they are just writing a story. I was.*S* Also the bumpers, yeah it is front page stuff*S* Kerry (and her new trews!) Jo and Louise.

The Sidestep Chronicle

Wall of the Dead

By

Katharyn Rosser

It was had been proposed, funded and officially named as the Sunnydale High Memorial Wall but everyone that Tara had spoken to so far had referred to it just as the Wall of the Dead. And it marked the unofficial heart of Sunnydale High School at which she was now staring. At least for the one day a month that the students and faculty chose to remember their predecessors.

They had come to the school after the Mayor had persuaded her that it was important to both of them that she finish off her education. That she get her High School Diploma. She had agreed with little enough argument. She had nothing much better to do with the free time that she had, and there was some of that despite the Mayor needing her at all hours. Either in the office or out on the streets, he hadn’t been exaggerating when he suggested to her that the hours where ‘flexible but unconventional.’

Besides he was going to let her study in City Hall, taking classes here at the school when she could and needed to. She had no fear of continuing her education. Once upon a time she had been very good in school, heading, they said, for scholarship and passage out of the tiny town she had grown up in. Away from her family. It had been all that mattered once upon a time. A chance at something else. Something more.

So important then, getting away and living just a little, because of what she was. What she was still to become, though she had not really considered it in months. Her focus had been elsewhere. Now she would give anything to see her father, her brother one more time. And her mother. But that couldn’t be. There were ways. Temporary and permanent. She had always known that. But the price was so high… and she was not willing to pay that much.

Now she had agreed to recommence her studies for the Mayor, and only a little for herself – despite enjoying most subjects. Their book-buying spree had briefly filled her with excitement, anticipation of new knowledge. She knew that there was a library, but it was reputed to be over laden with books that didn’t fit in the curriculum. She’d have to take a look – maybe there was something more advanced she could get onto. That had been her thinking - but then she had found out the overall timetable. She would graduate only a few weeks before it all became pointless anyway and she turned twenty. All sorts of things had to be accomplished by that deadline.

Graduation was pretty much the least of them.

It wasn't that she needed all that time – it was just that they only graduated once a year, as with any school. Did they throw hats? Probably… She’d never worn a hat. Maybe the Mayor would have her photo in his office. It was the sort of thing that he might have liked… he was that sort of wannabe demon.

His argument that she needed something to fall back on was irrelevant if well meaning. If she fell like that then she would not be getting back up. At least not as a human. But it pleased him to see that she was doing it and he had come here with her like a proud father arranging the transfer of his daughter to a new school. And after a quick meeting with the seemingly-nice Principal Robert ‘Call me Bob’ Flutie they had been handed over to definitely-less-nice Vice-Principal Snyder who had managed to ‘yes sir’ his way through that meeting despite finding out that she had exaggerated about her schooling at their last meeting. She was almost sure now that Snyder worked for the Mayor in more ways than simply though the school board. There was definitely… something there. Snyder knew about the Mayor. Or at least he thought he did.

But then so had she and it hadn’t stopped her. The compliments that the Mayor gave to the Vice-Principal were so obviously forced that there was no way they would be believed, except by someone who desperately wanted to hear them. Is that, she wondered, how he talks to me? Is that what others would hear if they were listening?

She believed what he said to her, but she wasn't desperate to hear the compliments like Vice Principal Snyder was. Really she would like to think that she didn’t give a hoot. That wasn't quite true though – it was always nice to be appreciated. Few enough people had appreciated her that it still seemed shiny and new when someone, even the Mayor, did.

After listening to some of the Vice-Principal’s implied criticisms of ‘Call me Bob’ Flutie she had signed the forms in the right places and arranged her curriculum. She would study alone and just visit for certain classes – as she already had studied most of what was on the list – and to hand in and receive her essays back. That didn’t matter to her though. Classmates had never been a big thing for her. Not after her one friend at school… Well it had ended badly in misunderstanding.

And now here she was, taking a look around the place. Shouldn’t that have come first though? The Mayor had been right however… it was a very different school from the one she had used to attend. Her school – for all its flaws - hadn’t needed a memorial service every month and a permanent Wall of the Dead dominating the central quadrangle.

Tara stared at the wall. On and on. She couldn’t quite believe her eyes. It was easy to believe that she was dreaming again – though she had hesitated to pinch herself, just in case. It wasn't a dream that she wanted to wake up from – though in other respects it was a nightmare. It was all so clear… the words. There were words that she would be able to read. Answers. She would, as she had dreamed last night ‘be there,’ if she could just read it. The writing. One particular carved entry. She stared and stared. She could not take her eyes away from it. In the centre of the quadrangle that was the heart of the school the memorial was… tragic was the only word for it.

It marked the lives of Sunnydale High students. So many dead here. So many of the town’s young taken from it… and every one of them since the date that the Master had risen. It was a wall… and it was being added to over and over.

She had, at first, looked at it more as an exercise in predicting the effects on the arrival of a powerful vampire – how fast would the dates be added, the body count rise and then, as people became more cautious, slow again? The deaths had clearly started out as daily events for some weeks. And then they had slowed. But they had never stopped. Concentrating on the numbers and the dates on her first time around the square walled monument she had deliberately avoided the pictures of all the people that she had failed to help… even though a good number of them had died before she had even found her purpose - let alone before she had got to Sunnydale.

And then she had forced herself to look at them. The Mayor was stood with that rodent Snyder and they must have been able to see the tears that sprang to her eyes. This was just the young people. If all these students had been killed, along with some teachers, then how many adults and others – too young for this school? Along one wall, the earliest, the pictures were large, the names carefully inscribed, the details of their lives at the school explicit if not adequate. It was as if someone had expected that the deaths could not continue. What reasonable person would assume that they would? But the latest ones on the memorial were little more than passport photographs with a name and a date. Someone had realised that this was going on, and on, and on. That there might not ever be enough space for all of the dead.

All the death that she had seen and she was just crying now? What did these people have that all those others since her parents didn’t? They were her age. If she had lived here in Sunnydale then they might have been alive today. Sunnydale had lost far, far, more than she had. Families like hers… torn apart or perhaps entirely destroyed.

Not quite like hers maybe… but families were being destroyed by these things that roamed the night. She would kill them all. For all these young people. For their parents and for herself. She would kill them all. There wouldn’t be a vampire left in Sunnydale to kill again. Not one… where once she might have been content with the destruction of the Master… how could she let one survive?

It was on that second pass, made from latest to earliest that she came upon the picture that took her breath away. The hair was different from what she thought she remembered. The colour of the photo had been bleached by a little the sunlight, but she knew that person. She knew every curve of that face. Her mind had sculpted it during her sleep. It sat in three dimensions on the dresser by the window in her apartment. Last night that face had told her that she would ‘be there.’ The first stop on the journey. Hadn’t her goddess suggested that?

Or the last.

Her dream woman was dead. Long, long dead.

But the dream had never told her the colouring – the red hair sure, but not the skin tone, the eyes. The dreams gave her impressions but it was a vision. Fuzzy. Sepia tinted. Not to be totally believed. But the photograph… Even with the bleaching it was obvious that the girl who was the model for her dreams had a reddish brown blaze of hair to which those visions and dreams had never done justice. The hair was… different to how she remembered it. The girl in the picture had long straight hair that Tara could not help imagining flowing between her fingers and she found herself touching the ends of her own, seeking the sensation. Letting her hair drift over the back of her hand. The skin was pale as most natural redheads would be she guessed. And the eyes… the eyes were kind. Even in a posed photograph the picture radiated kindness. The other dead kids… it was typical yearbook stuff, some showed sadness, some were ditzy, some showing off. But this one… all you could say was that she was kind.

Somehow she had always known that.

And the academic honours… That girl was some kind of brain-box placed second in science fair after science fair across all her schools… but that was the lowest standing she ever achieved. Computer studies awards. Placing first in a number of subjects. A year of chess club? What had happened with that? Why had she left the chess club? Too rowdy? The girl was dead… three years dead and all Tara wanted to know was why she had left the chess club rather than how she had excelled at school. Stupid… stupid… stupid. And sad.

And her name… she barely dared to follow the lines of text upwards, and to above the date and the photograph to find a name. Never had she known the name. She had always, when dreaming, thought that she should know… but she never had. If this weren’t a dream then she would get to know the name at last. Would the mystery be gone with a name?

Willow…

She was called Willow. The tears were rolling down her cheeks now, flowing free and unchecked from her eyes. Over a hundred deaths might have started her sorrow off but those had all faded away to next to nothing. The details of this one young woman’s life… her name finished it. She was called Willow. She saw the surname but all that mattered to her was Willow.

She was called Willow.

I weep for you Willow. For all that you were and all that you could have been in a life that should have been filled with opportunity… and love. But was taken from you.

It didn’t say if she had been a victim of the vampires… or if the wall was there for students who had died for any reason… It didn’t matter. The vampires had changed things, made things happen.

But why do I feel I know you? Why do I see you in my dreams? Why do you haunt me? We never even met and you fill my unconscious mind. You shape your image through me. How do you do it Willow? Why?

Not enough though… not enough. This flat image, these few words, they didn’t tell Tara enough about her. Not the real person. The person behind the achievement. The woman, barely more than a girl, behind the picture. The details behind the dates.

She turned around, tearing her eyes from the faded image. She wiped away the tears on her sleeve to find the Mayor and the school Vice-Principal watching her, one curious the other… he looked bored.

And she despised him for that.

“Yes… we are all very sad,” the rat faced Snyder told her. He didn’t sound it though. “In fact,” he continued, “We are very sad at least once every month. It’s the sort of touchy feely feel-good event that our Principal seems to like.” His own opinions were pretty obvious to Tara. Which just confirmed her opinion of him.

She felt like turning him into the rat he resembled… figured that maybe she could if she really tried. But that wouldn’t help. He was no worse than she was. This was the first death that had truly affected her in such a long time. Perhaps he was just hardened to it… just like she was. She supposed that people had to be… otherwise how would they function at all?

The Mayor, though, was aware that something inside her had clicked, and he looked at her quizzically. “You feel something Tara?” What do you feel… tell me. That was the unspoken sub-text.

I feel alone. I feel distraught. I feel the loss of a woman – a girl really – that I have never known. And I feel that a thousand times more keenly than all of these others added together. Worse even the people I have watched die… I haven’t felt this way since... my mother.

“Yes” was all she said though, she couldn’t express the rest of it.

He came over towards her and Snyder was forced by his own fawning to accompany him. “You know Mr Mayor, sir, the monthly memorial is today,” Snyder offered, noticing his patrons interest. He might not have cared what the new girl was crying about, but the Mayor… that was altogether different.

“We’re staying,” Tara told them both without hesitating. Without reference to her employer who was certainly curious about what had gotten to her.

“Yes...” the Mayor said slowly. “It has been far too long since I attended” The Mayor gave her that little get out, but his tone suggested that he wanted an explanation as Snyder scuttled away to arrange additional seating for them.

“You feel something?” the Mayor asked again, this time definitely wanting an answer.

“All these young people…” it was all that she could offer him.

“It is sad… the children are the foundation of any community.” And so useful for other purposes…

“They had families,” she pointed out to him. She wasn't sad for the community. “I’m going to fix it. I’m going to stop this,” she swore to him without revealing the deeper concern that she felt about the fate of one particular person. The one she now knew was Willow Rosenberg. Had been Willow Rosenberg. He knew enough about her to know that the loss of about her family was what had ultimately brought her here so he accepted that choice.

“No Tara,” he told her and her reaction, the fire in her eyes as she spun her head to challenge him was the biggest surprise that he’d had in months. “We are going to stop it,” he finished.

“‘I need to know some things… about one of them.”

“I’m sure that Principal Flutie and Vice-Principal Snyder will be more than happy to help you,” the Mayor assured her – the latter being a promise to her. He didn’t need to question her motives at all. It was clearly important. She had never asked him for anything - until now - despite so much being on offer to her. And now she wasn't even really asking. She was telling him. It actually made him proud… his assistant was coming out of her shell a little. That made him appreciate just how important this was to her then.

And it was just in time of course. Things to do… busy, busy, busy. As she turned back to the memorial he pulled out his pocket book, flicked to one of the back pages and placed a large tick alongside one of his notes.

All he had to do now was to let them know.

------------------

The memorial service was perfunctory in the main. Every student in the High School that day was there. Such a large place and so few students though. A sea of drab clothes. Tara felt inappropriately dressed in her brighter skirts… but if she had known then she would have shown her respects. Her clothes were intended to have the opposite effect to those of the students and the faculty. Not that they were garish or anything… but she felt that way in this company. She wanted to attract the vampires – and it seemed to work for her.

And when she had attracted their attention - then she would kill them.

She had two hundred and thirty two new reasons to do that. That was how many names the principal read out. Two hundred and thirty two. All dead within the last four years. What was that? Less than forty-eight months? Nearly five a month. It was a tragedy back home if they lost a single student. She remembered a service of remembrance for a boy who drowned in the river. It had brought mortality home to her, to all of them. What must it be like here in Sunnydale – to live with death like that? Perhaps it was just a little like her life. Perhaps she really was home?

The names were read and the dead were mourned in silence. Absolute perfect silence. Because here it really could have been any of them. Any other school and there would have been giggling or chatting. Here that was not the case at all. Everyone knew that if they were not careful each and every night then they could be the next name on that list. She guessed that it gave them a different perspective on death. And she felt different too.

They had lost friends, people they had grown up with or, if they were teachers, children that they had taught. People that they had taunted and played with. Joked with and perhaps made cry. None of that for her here. But she still felt…

Like she had lost something important.

It was only as the service ended that she stood up and took a flower that she had picked from a quadrangle flower bed - one of the few in the school grounds that she had seen so far was maintained. Why would anyone fail to encourage the flowers to grow? It was not a nighttime job to do that. So much of Sunnydale had given up hope. They just didn’t care anymore. They had seen too much.

She took the flower and in full view of the assembled school and the Mayor she prepared to lay it at the base of the memorial… below a certain picture that had held her attention. But as she squatted to do so she knew that she had to show her devotion to the memory that she had never really known.

She touched the flower to her lips, breathing in the fresh, sweet, scent – imagining for the briefest of moments another sweetness from her dreams - and then laid it there.

For them all.

But most of all for Willow Rosenberg.

You hear that baby?

Post subject: Wow...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 11:47 pm 
Once again, you have blown me away. I love that you've managed to get the feeling right for all the characters, even with all the changes in the world. You have me eagerly awaiting each new chapter, kudos! :)

Incidentally, thank you for reminding me why I enjoyed the mayor so much. He brings to mind the whole "nice is different than good" thing... tis marvellous.

Thank you for sharing your writing,

Jae

Post subject: Just Caught Up
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 12:52 am 
I read this in one sitting and I'm thoroughly impressed with the way you're weaving Willow and Tara's stories together slowly but surely. I can't wait for the first time they actually meet face to face.

The dream sequences are intriguing; it's a good plot device that you've employed and you're working through it to good effect. The scenes of destruction are nicely offset with scenes of total isolation, distancing the character of this Tara from her life; Evil Willow is distanced merely by the fact that she has no soul. I'm enjoying that separation.

I also like the ever-present voice of Tara's father, guiding her through her crazed existence as it is now. Her obedient replies seem to me to be said by rote, rather than having her actually listening, which also adds to the "killing by numbers" way she's working through the vampires. She's methodical, you know? And even though she seems to hate the trap she's caught in, she's driven to continue her lifestyle, aligning herself with The Mayor. I've always been fond of him as well, so he's a welcome addition to the cast you've got here.

One thing I would mention though, is the narration. I see how it serves your purpose and it's intense and introspective, which heightens the tensions in and between characters, especially Tara and the people she surrounds herself with. But I would like to see more dialogue, as often some well chosen speech can replace several paragraphs of description.

Having said that, it's your fic and you write it the way you see fit; it's your vision. And I'm too nitpicky by far anyway. ;)

Looking forward to your next chapter.

----------
Hey Grrrrlfriend! Yoo hoo! Over here! It's me...Flaming Joel!

Post subject: Re: Just Caught Up
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 1:03 am 
Thanks Jae, thanks Ruth.

What you are saying about the narrative Ruth, I am well aware of it... it is just my style I suppose. Every so often I will go off on a burst of dialogue but perhaps not often enough I know. I think it comes from, originally, wanting to get into the stuff that you can't see on screen in missing scene fics. That said this isn't one of those but I seem locked into the pattern and as large as this fic has grown to be I doubt I will run a redraft to give more speech.

It does improve a little as a few more "sympathetic" characters come into the story. But then again they give Tara more to think about too... Right now, and this is all mainly Tara's persepective, there aren't really people that she wants to talk to I guess. Just people that she has to. Well that is my simplistic justification and I am sticking to it!*S*

Thanks again,

Katharyn

------------

You hear that baby?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 1:15 am 
Quote:
What you are saying about the narrative Ruth, I am well aware of it... it is just my style I suppose. Every so often I will go off on a burst of dialogue but perhaps not often enough I know. I think it comes from, originally, wanting to get into the stuff that you can't see on screen in missing scene fics. That said this isn't one of those but I seem locked into the pattern and as large as this fic has grown to be I doubt I will run a redraft to give more speech.

Yes, and it's great that you do see room for the fic to change and evolve even after you've posted it. I know that when I come to put fics up on my website after they've been posted on Pens, there are always a few tweaks that I need to make, mainly to satisfy myself rather than any one else. :lol

I know what you mean about wanting to create a visual picture that we might not get onscreen. And I think, on the most part, that's what you do so well in the fic. It's not a problem at all, and if it is, it's certainly my problem, not yours. :lol I tend to get rather lost in endless paragraphs of narration I think. And hey, I like the dialogue you've got. Evil Willow, certainly, possesses just the right tone of voice in all her lines.

Quote:
Right now, and this is all mainly Tara's persepective, there aren't really people that she wants to talk to I guess. Just people that she has to. Well that is my simplistic justification and I am sticking to it!

Yep, I totally see that. And I expect that to change and evolve throughout the story too. I think her tight-lipped characterisation right now is pretty spot on, given her situation and experiences.

----------
Hey Grrrrlfriend! Yoo hoo! Over here! It's me...Flaming Joel!

Post subject: She found her and lost her . . or has she?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 2:57 am 
I feel for Tara, finding her love and losing her all in one go. It is to our girl's credit that she is taking this as well as she is. Of course we all know that there will be a meeting of the twain later on down the road. But the twist of the plot here leaves one wondering how their ultimate union might be achieved, if at all.

I loved reading the draft of this and the final posted version is better. I wave my new trews in your general direction!!!

Tara regit, itane vero!

(Tara rules, ok!)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 4:32 am 
Oooh, Katharyn ... finally read this next bit ... it's just awesome *G*

It's, umm ... well, 4:00am here, and I'm just a wee bit tired, so I'm going to have to save specific commentary for later ... but for now - read it, loved it, and You Rock.

-Sass

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 6:58 am 
*sobbing at the pure sadness of the last update*. She didn't find her until it was too late! BAWWWL! O wait, she's still undead. Never mind. What an awesome chapter. 5 dead a month - is that just SDH students? Because in Buffyverse SD, 5 a month in toto isn't all that surprising. I cannot wait until they meet each other. Tara is gonna FREAK when she realizes her dream woman is not only a vampire, but the right-hand woman to her enemy. But at least I know it won't have a dusty ending.

--------

Post subject: Re: Part 13
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 11:50 am 
Katharyn... this part was absolutely incredible. I think this part touched me more deeply than any other. For her to finally see her 'dream girl' and to find out that she is indeed dead. And then to finally be able to put a name to that face... God.. That's so powerful. A name has so much meaning and power. It'll be interesting to see how her dreams change, if she keeps having them, that is.

But the other part that got me, was this-

"She would kill them all. There wouldn’t be a vampire left in Sunnydale to kill again. Not one… where once she might have been content with the destruction of the Master… how could she let one survive?" I think that's going to be interesting... if she lets VampWillow live... will it come back to haunt her? And how will she reconcile that?

Gah... questions, questions, questions... And I'm sure you will answer them all in the coming parts. Love this story, adored this part. :)

--------------------------------

"Honey, I'm the original one-eyed chicklet in the kingdom of the blind." - Glory

Post subject: Re: Latest chapter
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 1:10 pm 
Lovely, Katharyn! I love Tara being assertive towards the mayor, and his reaction to her. One of my favorite parts about the mayer on the show was his relationship with Faith, and you've got that pegged here. Feel better!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 1:18 pm 
Okay, Katharyn ...

I loved Principal Flutie surviving ... he, at least, is better off in this new place *G* And that little weasel Snyder isn't actually the principal. Heh.

This was really beautiful ... I loved the way Tara's been dealing with all the death and horror - how she's distanced herself from it to keep from going stark-raving mad, only to find that she can't distance herself from Willow's death, even though it happened long ago.

Ahhh ... the ways in which you mess with Tara's head. Or, rather, Fate messes with Tara's head.

I'm going to be keeping my eyes peeled for more people who can say, "I would have lived to see Season Four if it weren't for those meddling kids!". I have this bizarre urge to go watch seasons 1-3 and play spot the "I won't be dead in Sidestep" characters.

Oh, and am I on crack, or did the Mayor just call Wolfram and Hart? *G*

-Sass

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 1:32 pm 
Don't forget Snyder. He may be Vice-Principal, but at least he's not snake chow. And what you said about the mayor:

OF COURSE! IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW! W & H hired the mayor to hire Tara and get her to SD. They also wanted him to bring her to school on memorial day so that she would find Willow's picture, bringing them all the closer together! And in return W & H helps the Mayor out with ascending. It's so simple yet bizzarely complex.

--------

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 10:51 pm 
Aaaah "The I would have survived if it wasn't for those pesky kids club..."

Not so large as you might think... but a few more turning up for certain - some in larger roles.

Interesting theory Supermus (It all makes sense now) Is it a million miles away? No... though you might be overegging the pudding...

Back to being ill...

'Dang, I would have kept things more of a surprise if it wasn't for those pesky kittens...'

Katharyn

-------------

You hear that baby?

Edited by: Katharyn at: 4/7/02 9:54:41 pm

Post subject: Bravo!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 11:41 pm 
Katharyn, that whole bit with the Wall is wonderful. Oh how it hurt! The might-have-beens, the what-she-doesn't-know, the wait-till-she-finds-out, etc.

I'll admit to wanting to speculate about what else is different in this universe, but not as much as you might think. So much of the time, I see a movie or read a story and my reaction is to figure out how it *should* have been done. Arrogant? Maybe, but it has inspired me to write (and yes, "Fusion" is progressing but looks like I'll just have to buy a new A Drive). But my point is--I don't do that with this story. Not at all. I'm perfectly content (and eager!) to see where you're taking me.

But here's a thought (Kieli & I had a long email discussion on this point when NTT? was new)--how do you see the potential for vampiric personality in the Buffyverse? Can a so-called normal vampire learn compassion? If not, why not? If so, how do you think?

"O Let my name be in the Book of Love!
If it be there I care not of that other Book above.
Strike it out! Or write it in anew, but
Let my name be in the Book of Love!"
--Omar Kayam

Post subject: Re: Bravo!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 12:03 am 
Hey Zahir,

Thanks for not wanting to speculate*S* Wierd that can be a compliment...

Okay to answer your question I have to watch myself here... it would sort of get answered as I went along (I hope) but an honets question deserves an evading answer...

"Compassion"? I have my doubts about that capability in vampires. I don;t like to put it down to anything as simple as "lack of a soul" or "being a demon" as we know that there are "good" and "balancing" demons. None of these (with the atypical example of Angel) is a vampire as far as I am aware.

Vampires - to me - are wired in a certain way and that does not promote compassion. That said there are examples of behaviour in vampires that don't ring true with that. Angelus/Darla, Spike/Dru for example certainly shared something. In one of her DVD commentaries Marti specified that to be at least "a deep affection" (Spike and Dru) yet in Angel we here that Angelus never loved Darla - because he couldn't.

Also in Angel - early season 3 - there was the vampire who came after Angel after the broody one killed the vampire he loved.

Personally I accept totally what Marti said about deep affection. (You will notice I am not getting into specifics about the Sidestep here.) I also accept a note that I found in "Reading the Vampire Slayer" to the effect that vampires can certainly feel the passion - and no I don't mean sex though that is part of it - of love if not the deeper emotion behind it. The series Buffy and Angel seem to take different lines on vampire love... and the latter is based really just on Angelus/Angel's comments. perhaps he just had a bad time of it compared to say Spike/Dru (who in their own minds I believe may have been in love even if I wouldn't define it that way for them.)

Don't even get me started on Spike's behaviour (chipped or otherwise) especially towards Buffy (season 5 only!) or Dawn (s5/Early S6.) But that was also a factor in my consideration.

That is a good enough summary of my personal beliefs - that said most the Sidestep was already written when I became aware of the latter example - so what is in this story is another issue. Needless to say this is something that I explore in this fic. How could I not?

There you go... I throw this open to the philosophical debaters out there... before we get to W/T meeting... but again please lets keep the spoilers out of here Kitties, especially when applied to Spike... there are speculation threads for that.

Who knows you might "force" a rewrite.

Katharyn

------------

You hear that baby?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 12:27 am 
Katharyn,

I have been debating and debating on whether or not I am going to continue reading your story. I still don't have much of a clue where you are going with this because I don't see how Willow being a vampire is going lead to a happy W/T. I am just trying to find W/T happiness where I can find it these days.

Tara: My heart doesn't stutter.
Tara: Willow, I got so lost.
Willow: I found you. I will always find you.

Willow: Hi, um Tara. I was wondering maybe you want to go out some time for coffee? food? Kisses and gay love?

Edited by: The Rose24  at: 4/8/02 10:48:08 pm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 8:17 am 
Deary-me that was a sad way for Tara to find out Willow's name.

Am a bit concerned now about the Mayor's intentions . . . hmmm!

I could paint you in the dark, 'cause I've studied you with hunger as a work of art - Collecting you (Indigo Girls)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3460 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 116  Next