The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3460 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 112, 113, 114, 115, 116  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fic: - The Sidestep Chronicle & Second Chronicle
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:08 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Congratulations Katharyn for this great achievement. I enjoyed reading this story immensely. So much indeed, that I even reviewed it on the arts programme of a local community station here in Norwich, UK. (You can listen to it on FutureRadio [dot] co.uk [slash] Platform. It was in the show from the 28th of October.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:22 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

‘hi’…

Katharyn, congratulations on the finis of ‘The Sidestep Chronicle & Second Chronicle’. Waaay back in march 2006 I told you that I hoped that I caught up reading before you finished. But sadly (for me) that’s not the case. Still a lot to read but I promise you that I’m going to finish some day.

Thank you so much for crafting this wonderful (epic) story for us.

Take care,
wilgen.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:35 am 
23. Volumey Text

Topics: 5
I go away for a little while and this thing is on the radio?! LOL

I'll give it a listen asap. Thanks!

Wilgen.... thanks for checking in. It is a long slog, but at least you only have to read it! Check in again when you get there :)

Due to my recent absence I've not made a lot of progress on my next W/T fic... but it is coming, slowly but surely. It's just not decided what it is yet... comedy, smut fic, drama or all/none of the above :kgeek

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*
-------------------------

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:57 am 
23. Volumey Text

I'm curious what kind of appetite there might be out there for the third part of what would be a trilogy of Sidestep?

I'm torn on whether to even go near it. On the one hand I have what I consider to be a very good idea for the big/bad part of the story and how that will all play out, and always like writing the girls.

On the other hand this fic is so long and inaccessible to new readers that I could very well be writing just for a couple of people? Also I had another T/W fic part written but very far from being ready to post and this has caught my imagination.

Also I'm a little wary of disturbing the ending that I laid out and worked so hard for. The thrid part of the trilogy would deal with the characters after the end of the epilogue. i.e. Tara is running the school, Willow her company, the kids are all grown up etc... And yes, it would feature nearly all the characters.

IMHO it's a great idea that deserves to be told - but what puts me off is shifting from the themes of Sidestep so far towards something that - on the surface - would be more T/W deal with a big bad. On the other hand, (many hands!) how often do we get to see the girls in 'middle age'?

If no one's going to read it, feedback whore that I am, I probably will let Sidestep lie...

Thoughts, opinions?

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:37 pm 
3. Flaming O

OOOOHHHH!!! *raises hand high above head and waves it vigorously* ME! DEFINITELY ME! I'D READ IT!!!

And now that I've gotten the enthusiasm out of the way, may I make a suggestion? When/If you do start posting a third story, you might want to consider starting a thread just for that one. I know that technically it should go in this thread, but I've talked to a few people that have been a bit put off by the length of this thread. So maybe if the new one is in it's own thread and it looks all short, and meek, and mild, then we can suck in some new people who will start reading that one and then decide that they absolutely need to come read this.

But seriously, I'd totally be there. I'd post and everything, even if it does kill my lurker rep.

Anyway, I'll now wander back to my regular lurking schedule. :D

~Meghan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:37 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Kathryn,
I would love for you to continue with part 3 of The Sidestep Chronicle. It would be fun to see middle age Tara and Willow. I am a big fan of your stories! Thanks for the journey so far!!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:55 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

:pray :dance "eeekkkkkkwwwwiiiieee" :dance :pray This is what I said when I read this.Really...in my world that means "Oh yes.Please sidestep me some more!!!" :blush Sorry :ashamed

So yes.I would love more. :-D

( Rosemary is sneeking out and closing the door cause she is embarrassed by her own outburst... :blush :yikes )

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:28 am 
23. Volumey Text

Hi! Thanks for replying and showing some interest. We're a ways off anything yet - I haven't even typed up my notes, let alone started any serious plotting and no where near writing. However I think I'm likely to go ahead... It'll probably be a more focussed story, based around the plot arc rather than the lives of the girls. You'll see why though...

I think a big part of wanting to do this is to get back to Faith (J/R daughter) since I enjoyed her so much in the epilogue. As well as to get into the 'open' story arc that is Toni working for W&H

Rosemary... I'll sidestep you when I can! ;)

Towanda - Thanks for being into it!

Tigerkid - LOL... If I can keep you from lurking, it might just be worth it! You're making a good suggestion and it was one I'd thought of at the time. A new thread is pretty much a must (though some competitive part of me really wants to keep this the biggest thread on pens!)

I think it can exist as a standalone story - with an opening scene setter revealing who the characters are. Though how I sum everything up easily and yet in enough detail (if I can remember it) to make sure people know who the characters are... On the other hand the idea of reading over a million words just to get into it would daunt most people. Me included!

I doubt that SSIII will be anything liek as long as either of iot's predecssors though. I do remember saying that ready for the first sequl though... In the end it was nearly double the length of the original. LOL.

Katharyn.

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:08 pm 
3. Flaming O

Hey Katharyn,

Although I am mostly a lurker and rarely leave feedback, I would love love love more Sidestep. So I can't always promise feedback, but I would read every update!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:39 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Well thanks Cooper :)

Just to clue you all in... I've broken ground on Sidestep III. I've sketched out what needs to happen for 14 chapters so far (though it might take more posts than that to cover that ground.) Once I've sketched out the rest then I'll start to write it and once I've got several parts to posting standard then I'll be starting a new thread to put it in.

I've just tried to write the 1 page summary of everything that happened in this thread so far so new readers can join without reading this million word monster of mine.

So thanks for the support everyone.

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:33 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Its been a while since I checked this thread, but I'm glad I did - SSIII! I will certainly read it, I'm looking forward to it already :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:48 am 
23. Volumey Text

Thanks Chronic :)

So far I've written 4 chapters (at least in first draft) though they aren't quite as expansive as what I used to call chapters in this fic so we'll see how much that really means!

I'm kind of looking forwards to it myself!

Thanks again,

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:47 pm 
3. Flaming O

Topics: 1
I haven't finished reading this yet (is still in the process of rereading), but I still stand by my original opinion: wow. I can only wish to someday write a story as wonderful as you do. I still think that you should get this published. You've got a nice bunch of books right here. I'd buy it.

There's gonna be a part 3??? *hurries to catch up on her reading*

Tara ended up next to Oz in the elevator. He looked at her, nodding to himself.
"What?" She asked.
"You look good. Kinda radiant."
Tara nodded. "I was resurrected a few days ago."
Oz arched an eyebrow. "That'll do it."
-Dark Congress

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:09 am 
23. Volumey Text

Hi EndlessDestiny :)

No need to hurry just yet. Though Part 3 is underway, real life has intervened and I've not made any progress for a couple of weeks now. At the moment I have 4 chapters and ideas for about ten more written in first draft so there's a long way to go before I'd consider posting what I have thus far. It'll be much more of an epic monster of the week story though, rather than a sweeping run through the girl's lives, so there will be a difference there.

Thanks for the compliments though, I do like a 'wow' now and then. And if you want to write a story like this, don't look for someday look for some years ;)

Sadly publication would never be a possibility, even if I wanted to, since that whole pesky "characters belong to.... yada yada" gets in the way. Besides, I'm not inclined to line the pockets of the long nosed one. I'm pretty much happy withe kitten readership though :)

Check back in when you get to new stuff!

Thanks again
Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:15 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Hey Katharyn, I've been an off and on lurker with your story since back when it was just a small side story to your Season 4/5 fic (cant remember what that was called). Your fics have had some of the most in-depth characterization and plotting that I have ever read that isn't published. More importantly, your W&H is definitely my favourite from all of the different BtVS stories that are out there. You just have to love those evil lawyers :P.

Anyway, I just want to add my own agreement that you should definitely write this third part to Sidestep as I know you will make it into something original.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:39 am 
23. Volumey Text

Sidestep... Sidestep... Sidestep...

Okay, since this was already pulled up the board and since I posted a standalone today, I thought I would comment on Sidestep 3.

I started this last year and had a few parts written. More planned. Life got in the way and then - somehow - it was nearly a year later and I hadn't written any T/W (let alone Sidestep) Not sure how that happened, it certainly wasn't that I couldn't have done it. I just... didn't.

Honestly though, that was probably a sign. I couldn't have let the story go if it had been good enough. It was threatening to be a 'W/T deal with a big monster in a cool place with characters we know being around' rather than anything... worthwhile about them. Ultimately, that is not who I am as a writer. Not when I write the girls. So though I might re-use a few scenes from that it's been chucked...

Over the next few days I am going to try to break a new story for Sidestep 3. Though I presented an ending to Second Chronicle (which I would not interfere with or change) I think there is more about this version of the girls to be said. However I need to find the T/W thread and the plot thread and then weave them together into something worth writing as Sidestep.

And then, obviously comes the writing... Eeek. I don't have as much time in my life to write as I did but still... if I find the story it will be written. So, ultimately, in a week or so there will either be a plan for Sidestep 3 or I will (finally) have this thread moved to the completed archive. Pity the poor mod who has to do that :)

And as to why I would post this 'tease'? Well, at this point I'd be interested in how readers would like to see a middle aged Tara and Willow written. What you'd like to see them face (in life - not monsters and stuff) which might be incorporated. Not saying I'd use it, but I'm interested in what your vision might be of their future. It can only help with my throught processes.

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:10 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Topics: 1
Greetings from a long time lurk,
My thanks for the joy that your stories thus far have brought me. I tend to only read things that are finished (I like to read in 6-8 hour stretches and unfinished fic don't help much in that area) and so have never been a feedbacker.
With regard to a third chronicle... I think you need to worry less about whether people will read about a middle ages W/T. You have a history of a fantastic novel... or two really, and folks will be more than willing to read what you have to say. You create quality fiction and that is enough. If you decided to write about a couple of squid playing cards, I would probably still read it because I trust your history of making worthwhile prose.
Trust your fans,

Never

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:33 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Just read that whole thing...took me over three days :-)))

I must say i prefered quite a few parts of the first chronicles.

The second part may have been better written, but there was a lot of content that made me wince a bit.

Your Tara...i found her too selfish in her actions and point of views (what??? most people here would say i guess) and i would have liked someone thinking about the way she was doing things.

To me, the whole "i gotta help" was important, but the problem was that it looked more like she *needed* to help, was too afraid not help, rather than wanted to (though she did profoundly want to). This fear of Tara, while shown, wasn't really accepted by other characters, which was strange.

My type of fics might also be a bit different than yours. I love characterization- i so do. BUT i like when the plot point don't feel a bit too contrived. Fro example in the sewer scenes, we know Tara&Willow missed with some of their stakes. We know there were wooden chairs. Why didn't they take use of it?

There was even a comment about some such thing in Darla's head!

Also, to me, the end was BAD END. the whole Toni thing..that's a good way to make sure they are all going to seriously be in trouble. Family members against family members is harsh.

i was also kind of hoping for a badder end for the Mayor ;__;

All in all, i complain, but all i did this WE was reading this. I loved every single moment of it (though i did skip the smut...felt like a voyeur).

This is, most certainly one of the best fanfic i have ever read, and almost surely the very best in its genre.

The complaint was all about that it could have been THE one :D

Of course, most of my complaints may have been a taste thing:/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:06 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Sucked back onto the board for other reasons, I realised that I had never done anything to conclude the life of this fic. For a very long time I have resisted archiving it - despite it being complete in a very real sense - because archive was where the 'dead' fic went and I needed this to be alive.

Writing this was a huge part of my life and one that was interspersed with some very bad times when I was in an accident and seriously hurt. I won't deny that this story was a part of the motivation for getting myself well again.

Now... I write. I write novels and am looking for publication. It'll be hard to match this story for what it means to me though because - in this forum - I could indulge myself in a way that will never be commercial enough to sell. I mean come on... who publishes a 1.5 million word novel unless it's got Robert Jordan on the front!? LOL.

And in no way would this story have been what it was without the feedback, posts, jokes and appeals from the readers along the way. I tell anyone who ever asks to archive it elsewhere that the posts in the thread are an integral part of the story and then refuse the permission. This is a kitten story. Influenced by kittens and written by one. This is its home because of all of it's readers.

So... what I am building to is that there will be no Sidestep 3. I had ideas but they were never quite good enough to justify it. They were 'just' a story. They weren't the story that needed to be told. Sidestep 2 was a little bit less than the original, but a continuation that was justified to me in wanting to see where the girls went. But 3? No, that would just be about writing something in that world. And that wouldn't belong in this thread. It wouldn't be what I wanted it to be and that is why I never found the motivation to do it right and I will never play the 'create tension between them for drama' card. We all know where that sort of thinking led and I like to think I proved it didn't have to be so.

I'd like to thank everyone who was there over the years that I put you through. Those who fed back and those who lurked. Especially thse who actively helped in chat, beta or moderation. Celia and Kerry most of all. Also to Xita - of course - who was the one who said 'No, you can't f*cking end it there when they're together, I want to see it!' Yeah, well... it went on for another million words past that!

Even now I hesitate to click 'submit' because of what that means, but I wouldn't be being honest with myself if I didn't.

This story is complete and I am absolutely delighted with where this version of the girls ended up.

Happy. Together.

Didn't I always say it would be so?

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:41 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 8
New to the archive. You can leave feedback!

Kisses and Gay Love
"I like my buttons, curvy." - Willow, Neverland, by Easiersaid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:53 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Took me a week and half but was well worth it, loved this.

Thank you :peace

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:51 am 
23. Volumey Text

Thank you so much edob. It is a long un, ain't it? :)

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:36 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

This story is abso-fricking-lutely outstanding!!!! I just joined this website about 6 mths ago and I have been suffering (like everyone else) thru the slow paced romance (and even slower paced updates) to that wonderful story Neverland. So, I decided to look thru the completed fics section and came across your fic. I can't begin to express to you how much I enjoyed the Chronicles... I absolutely loved your version(s) of Willow and Tara :wtkiss . Being an impatient person, I would have been climbing the walls and chomping at the bit, if I were reading your story in real time. There would be noooooooooooo way that I could patiently wait for you to update. It took me 3 days to read and I am devastated that it has come to an end. Hopefully, one day (soonish), inspiration (or constant begging on my part) will lead you to change your mind and give us The Chronicles Trinity :pray :pray ... Until that day, I say 2 u...Bravo!! (encore??)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:43 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Hey SMGOVAN - Welcome to my elongated cause of carpal tunnel. LOL.

Thank you so much for the feedback. It's still a buzz to find someone discovering this thing. I regret the fact that you can't see it part by part because it was always a fic where the feedback really did shape what was coming in the story. But you're here now!

In my own defence I was updating this as often as every 3 days for a period of a year or so so not that long for updates. Course then I had my accident and vanished for a long time.

The fact the fic is in archive is a sign that I had 'given up' on finding a continuation that was worthy of what went before. The problem is that (as best I recall) what was behind the first two chronicles were a couple of moments of inspiration the likes of which I've never had before or since. The fact that they came in the same fictional world is a miracle. Those visions were there and governed the whole of the Chronicles. What I've been missing is any further inspiration... I always said that I wouldn't tell a third part that wasn't going to live up to the other two. Plus I kind of sealed off many of the threads in the story...

All that said... you can be credited with making me think. And thinking led to a couple of pages of notes. A big idea, but not much flesh on the bones. Yeah, you might have seen at the end of the threads that I have said that a couple of times before... well, it's possible. If I can map something out part by part that offers a good story plus the life of the girls (women by then!) then it could happen.

And yeah. It's your fault... curses on you ;) LOL

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:37 pm 

Yeeeeeeeeeeeees :banana :dumbo :applause :sheep !!!! I can live with a (strong) maybe. I will try to be patient. I will entertain myself by reading some of your other stories... so far, I loved "lesbian gay type lovers", for obvious reasons :blush. Christmas future is great and I'm loving Processing... The "non majority sexuality thing" :rofl ...classic!! And even though the last update was wonderfully long, You did cheat on your New Years resolution. Therefore, You should put me out of misery and update early :-D !!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:43 pm 

Ps... I hope all is well with You after your accident. I for one am veeeeeeeeeeeery happy that You are back. I really enjoy Your Writing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:18 pm 
23. Volumey Text

As previously announced in the Processing thread on Pens... I've started writing Sidestep 3.

9 chapters in so far. I have the big picture down and feel it's a worthy story. However the detail and progress of the story still needs working on.

It'll be shorter and tighter than the others (but then what isn't?!) and I won't post until I have a) everything planned out and b) a significant front load of parts ready which will post no more frequently than weekly (at least until I get through them all)

However... it is coming. Only a critical failure of plot can stop something now.

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:26 am 
23. Volumey Text

There was no critical plot failure and I am pleased to say that the first draft of Sidestep: Third Chronicle has just been completed right down to the words. 'The End.'

Just over 100,000 words in a little over 6 weeks so you can tell i was pretty much motoring! It's only about 7% of the size of the first two added together but that is still a good size novel and will only get longer as I redraft.

From here I need to give it a little space for at least a week or two, then I can start to redraft with a clear head. Once I have a good cushion built up then I will commence posting.

*Wonders whether mods can move a thread back out of archives* LOL

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:57 pm 

You have made me veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery happy :party :pinky :luv :banana :dumbo :eatme ! I'm sooooooooo excited!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:14 am 
23. Volumey Text

LOL, glad to hear it.

All I have to do now is the boring bit... lover to write, hate to redraft... At least this time it's not a million words or more.

I have a note to give you credit for pushing me :)

On an unconnected note, I am aware that all the old stuff at the start of this thread is now a little bit of a mess due to the board upgrade. These were pages that originally came across from EZBoard (and maybe even the board before that) and now are filled with HTML which is distracting at the very least.

I'm thinking about what to do about that and - pending moderator approval - I MIGHT repost a clean copy of Sidestep from the start (And fix any obvious errors) The thing is I want to maintain the comments (they're essential to the development of the story) but they're just too messy now that people's signatures etc have broken with the HTML problem.

Not sure what I will do, but it'll be easier for me to switch it all over in word to the new format than try to do it on the board where it's so old that I don't even have edit rights in my own posts LOL.

We'll have to see... but that might be a delaying factor in Sidestep 3 if I decide to re-post (quickly) all the old stuff... One benefit of that would be that it would remind me of what went before and make sure I have that 'straight' for part three. I mean I started writing this ten years ago!

Katharyn

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3460 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 112, 113, 114, 115, 116  Next