The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 378 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Spark To A Flame
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:53 pm 
Title: Spark To A Flame

Author name: Auburn

Email address: GemmaQT@hotmail.com

Rating: NC-17 (18) there will be plenty of W/T loving but it’ll take a while to get there.. have faith ;)

Disclaimer: I don't own these characters but the story is mine.

Summary: Tara admires Willow from a distance until an accident brings them closer together. some angst, but obviously I wouldn’t do anything too awful to read.

Notes: What happens to Willow happened to someone very dear to me, they unfortunately didn’t make it. The time I’ve spent writing this story is dedicated to them. You are forever with me....

I will update every Wednesday because its ‘L Word’ day and I’ll definitely be home :lol

‘Spark To A Flame’

1 Inspiration:

The world for any artist, be it a photographer, musician or writer, is a place of constant inspiration. Just sitting on a park bench and watching as people go about their day can be inspiring enough for someone to create a piece of art. If they’re paying attention that is. For some artists one seemingly insignificant thing can be what fills them with revolutionary idea’s, to express themselves wholeheartedly and create what other people can appreciate.

For Tara Maclay her inspiration was something of beauty, something she could sit and look at for hours and still not have seen enough. The mystery of something so beautiful sitting opposite her on the grassed area of Sunnydale park exhilarated her, made her wish and want and imagine. This inspirational thing sitting peacefully unaware of Tara’s wistful gazes was the reason for Tara’s creative thinking and works.

Being a writer in a small town like Sunnydale was a hard thing to do, being a successful writer was even harder, but somehow Tara had managed it. The pay wasn’t good, or at least not yet having just published her first book Tara had high hopes, writing was something she had always dreamed of doing, but up until a year ago her dreams had almost been a lost cause.

It was visiting the park one winter morning when Tara had almost driven herself mad listening to the birds chirping and old Mrs Brown buffing the wooden floors of her apartment building when Tara decided to take a walk to the park. On reaching the park she then observed everything around her from the trees to the pond, up to the sky and down to the grass. Not one thing inspiring a spark of creativity. Just an edge of fidgety-ness and slight boredom.

Then something caught her eye, a red shimmer made her head turn to investigate the cause. Her eyes fixed firmly to a woman walking down the gravel path along the edge of the grass and Tara’s eyes remained on the woman until their gazes met making her quickly look away.

Since that day, three months ago Tara had been coming to the same place every morning. Some days the red haired woman would arrive and sit peacefully on the grass, some days she would read or be writing frantically and some days she wouldn’t show up at all, but when she did Tara would watch her. Everything she did was done with deliberation and an air of concentration that would give any normal person a headache.

On this morning Tara sat with her back resting against the tree as she always did. Making sure her long parker coat protected her bottom from the cold, damp grass and that her hat rested just past her ears to keep the bitter cold from turning them red. Her long blonde hair flattened by the material of the hat splayed out across her shoulders adding extra warmth.

She watched as birds swooped down onto the grass, hopping and twitching. Their movements lightening fast and deliberate.

Suddenly the birds unexpectedly flew off much to Tara’s annoyance. Watching them had made her relax and forget about the piercing cold, but when the blonde saw two sneakered feet walk into the space where the birds had previously occupied she now understood their hurry to get away.

Following the pair of sneakers upwards to some jeaned legs Tara watched as the redheaded woman sat down on the grass about eight feet away and pulled out a book then began to read.

The blonde studied the mysterious woman’s features carefully. Taking in every minute detail, the long lashes that graced the woman’s eyelids, almost unnoticeable freckles that danced on the bridge of her nose and the teeth that gently bit the bottom lip in full concentration. The woman visibly shook against the light breeze of the mid winter weather and Tara inwardly chastised her for not wearing a scarf or a hat.

Sitting there for a few moments taking in the view the blonde then let out a huge sigh and paused as the woman looked up. She felt her cheeks begin to burn and internally smacked herself on the head as the woman's eyes studied her face for a few seconds before turning back to her book.

“Come on Missy let me in first.” Tara chuckled as she almost tripped over her feline friend walking into her apartment. The cat playfully welcomed her mistress into their home by rubbing herself against the blonde’s legs causing fur to transfer itself onto the material of Tara’s clothes.

Tsking to herself the blonde shook her head and picked up the furry animal. “I can never look presentable with you around can I sweetheart?”

“Tara?” An old woman’s voice called from down the hall. The blonde put her head around the door and saw Mrs Brown making her way over relying heavily on her cane.

“Hi, Mrs Brown.” The young woman greeted.

“Oh now you know I wish you wouldn’t call me that you make me feel like an old woman when I‘m still in my prime.”

“Sorry Lydia.” Tara smiled as the woman playfully greeted the ginger and white furball that was enjoying all the attention.

“I don’t mean to be a nuisance dear, but I was wondering if you could perhaps do my grocery shopping for me on Friday instead of Wednesday. Some of the girls and I from the bingo hall will be having a little get together for Agatha’s birthday so I won’t be home until late that day and Thursday I‘ll need a long hard rest.”

“Oh of course Mrs....Uh I mean Lydia that would be fine.” Tara assured Letting her furry friend down to have a sniff around “Just give me your shopping list on Thursday it won’t be a problem.”

“Oh you’re such a sweetheart my dear girl I do appreciate it.” The old woman smiled gratefully showing her perfectly polished dentures. “Now I won’t keep you I’m sure you have something much more interesting to do. Have a lovely night my dear.”

“You to Mrs Brown.” The blonde called to the woman’s retreating back.

“Come on you lets get you some dinner I know that’s the only reason your being so nice.” Tara chuckled receiving a ‘meow’ from the mischievous face of her beloved cat. “Yeah that’s right I’ve got you all figured out.”

The bitter cold once again whipped itself around Tara’s thin frame as she made her way to the park, walking carefully so as not to slip on the black ice on the concrete that had set in the night before.

Making her way to her favourite tree Tara observed the white ice that rested on leafless branches reminding her just how cold it was. Wrapping the scarf more firmly around her neck she seated herself against the tree getting as comfortable as she could then pulled out a pen and writing paper from her bag.

Her mind got lost in a world that she had created, her imagination running wild with the lives of her characters creating their personalities and building the atmosphere around them, writing out their beginning, knowing the path they were to take, but not yet knowing their end.

In her writing Tara could live out a fantasy and escape the reality where routine became a chore and the days blended together in a blur. Her writing was her happiness and for a while she had lost that.

The crackling of fallen leaves being stood on made Tara lift her gaze, she peeked above the pad she had been busily writing on and saw the familiar beautiful face that had inspired a surge within her and watched the woman kick the leaves out of the way before she sat down and just idly picked at the grass.

Tara noted that the redhead looked a little more lost in thought today than she normally did, dark circles under the woman’s eyes indicated lack of sleep and her hair was a little more wayward than usual. The blonde prayed that whatever was bothering this beautiful woman wasn’t anything to serious.

Seeing the woman turn to face her Tara quickly averted her eyes and tried to look busy with what she was doing.

Trying to balance a stack of books in one hand Willow Rosenberg frantically searched for her keys with the other, propping her knee up on the door to relieve some of the weight she then dug her hand deep into the pocket of her jeans and successfully fished them out putting the needed key in the lock she then turned and pushed desperately trying not to drop any of the books.

“Here let me help you with that.” A young man passed her carefully and held the door open.

“Thank you Oz.” Willow smiled walking in and placing the books down on the first available surface.

“This place is nice.” He complemented, awe struck by the large house.

“Yeah well my Mom picked it out for me, it was expensive, but they knocked the price down because it needs a lot of maintenance work.” Taking her coat off the woman then walked over to the door and shut it before turning to the young man standing in the doorway.

“Is there something I can do for you?”

Sighing heavily he looked down at his feet as if trying to find the words. Looking back at Willow he smiled softly.

“I know things between you and I have been a little off lately and I’m sorry about that, you’ve been busy with work, I’ve been busy with the band....”

“It doesn’t feel like we’re in a relationship Oz.” The young woman confessed walking out of the entrance hall she went into the kitchen and began searching through boxes for the coffee machine.

“Yeah and I want to rectify that.” He stated, following her into the other room.

Glancing up at him the red-haired woman seemed nonchalant about the discussion.

“Willow throw me a bone here, I’m trying.”

“Ah ha.” She said triumphantly pulling out the coffee machine from a box on top of the kitchen counter. “We have coffee.”

Making his way through the mess Oz reached the young woman and removed the coffee machine from her hands then turned her to face him.

“Willow please we can get through this. I’m sorry I haven't been around things have been so hectic, but I’m here now and I’m trying to make it right.”

Taking a step back Willow picked up the coffee machine and went about setting it up.

“I’m not sure you can fix this. I'm not sure WE can fix this Oz.” She said honestly her eyes never looking up at him.

“Well we can’t just let it go, not after all this time.” Leaning against the kitchen counter he put his hand on her arm to gain her attention. “Come to dinner with me. We’ll talk.”

Believing she at least owed him that the red-haired woman nodded her agreement.

Tara stepped out of her apartment building wincing as the cold air hit her face. She pushed her delicate hands further into the warmth of her coat pocket and hurriedly made her way to the park, after spending most of the night unable to stop her mind from whirling around with ideas she succumb to the fact that she wasn’t going to get any sleep and spent the rest of the night writing, then reading what she wrote, deleting parts and re-writing them.

This was the routine she often found herself following and it frustrated her that she couldn’t just write something and stick to it. Her Copy Editor said it was because all writers were perfectionists even if with nothing else, but their writing.

The blonde shivered slightly and berated herself for being out in such weather, Mrs Brown had told her that it was cold, but she just thought it was her landlord over exaggerating as she had a tendency to do.

Catching a familiar red shimmer of the mystery woman’s hair Tara coked her head to the side and knitted her brows together.

In the past three months not once had the young woman beaten her to the park. Tara had always gotten there first so she could watch the redhead stroll elegantly along the pebbled path and sometimes feed the ducks.

Shrugging her shoulders Tara removed her pad and pen from her bag and sat down against her tree, as soon as pen touched paper her mind went somewhere else.

Setting her coffee mug on her desk Willow rubbed her temples with her fingers and let out a frustrated moan, if there wasn’t one problem at this office then there was another. Often before work she would take a walk in the park to prepare for her day in the office, bathing in the nature, watching the ducks and that blonde woman who always seemed so lost in whatever it was she was writing. Things in Willow’s life at the moment were a little hectic, but she could always count on that blonde woman being in the same place at the same time whenever she went to the park. Her presence was somehow heart warming. Pressing the button that put her through to her secretary Willow waiting for the girl to answer.

“Yes Miss Rosenberg?”

“Hey Buffy, could you call Grace and tell her I need to see her in my office immediately please.”

“Yes Ma’am.”

Stretching her tensed muscled the redhead leant back in her chair and tapped her pencil against her cheek waiting patiently until she saw a very nervous looking Grace walking as briskly as possible towards her office. The woman spoke to Amanda before polite knocking on the door once and walking straight in.

“Take a seat Grace.” Willow instructed pointing at the chair on the other side of her desk.

“Thank you.” The young woman smiled nervously taking the offered seat.

“Grace, there seems to be a problem.” Willow spoke with authority getting straight to the point. “It seems the art and animation department is running slower than all the others and I need everything to be synchronised or the game is going to go to hell. I‘m tired of engineers calling me and complaining that the project their working on can‘t be completed until they have the art and animation all set, what‘s going on down there?”

“Well.... I.” The woman fidgeted in her chair as if finding it very uncomfortable. “I... Don’t really have an answer Miss Rosenberg, the project is harder than we’ve ever done before. I’m a perfectionist and the team is trying to make the animation as realistic as possible, quality takes time.” Grace explained as best she could hoping that was good enough.

“I appreciate that you want to make it realistic here Grace, but were working on a time limit the creators want this game out by next summer which means you’re going to have to shape up.”

“Ok Miss Rosenberg, I will, Thank you.”

“Ok, Oh and Grace, I’ve taken a look at an animation sample it really is good.” The redhead gave her employee a smile.

“Thank you.” The woman beamed, leaving her Boss’ office.

Glad to have gotten that job out of the way Willow stood from her chair and stretched her aching back. Straightening out some papers the young woman then carefully placed them into a black folder and wrapped an elastic band around it.

Seeing the red light flashing on her phone Willow pushed the button that put her through to Buffy.

“It’s Oz on line one ma’am.”

Sighing heavily she picked up the phone and answered in her authoritative voice.

“This Is Willow Rosenberg.”

“Willow? Do you have to use that tone with me?”

“Can I help you Oz? I’m a little busy right now.” Taking a seat the young woman poured herself another coffee from the coffee machine.

“I was just wondering if I could take you out tonight, I’m free.”

“I don’t know, It’s busy here today I don’t think I’ll be finished till late.”

“That’s ok, Willow please. We really need to talk this through.”

Pinching the bridge of her nose the red-haired woman relented. “Ok, make reservations for six at the Drake and I’ll meet you there.”

“OK see you later Willow.”

2 An accident waiting to happen:

Tara took a deep breath and sat back in the chair she was sitting on, feeling the ache in her eyes she rubbed at them with her thumb and index finger before glancing at her watch.

“Oh shit!” She cursed realising she had spent more time at the library than intended and still needed to go grocery shopping for Mrs Brown, quickly packing her belongings into her bag she took one last glance at her watch then made her way to the store.

“Oh thank you sweetheart, it’s five-forty I was wondering where you had got to.” Mrs Brown fussed over Tara, removing bags from the young woman’s arms.

“I’m sorry Mrs Brown I got carried away at the library and lost track of time.”

“Oh never mind that dear, I thought something had happened to you, you’re almost always punctual.... Oh your poor hands look absolutely red raw with the cold come and sit down I’ll make you a nice hot chocolate.” The old woman pushed Tara into a nearby chair and placed the bags on the kitchen counter searching for the offered drink.

“Thank you Mrs Brown. I got everything that was on the list, but if you think of something I missed let me know and I’ll go get it. Here’s your change.” The blonde placed the old woman’s change on the table in front of her.

“Oh darn it!” Mrs Brown exclaimed loudly picking up a piece of paper that had caught her eye next to the kettle. “I forgot to pick up my medication from the pharmacy, let me just see if I have some in the medicine cabinet.” Leaving the room the old woman came back a few minutes later rubbing her forehead. “I’ll just have to go out and get it otherwise my arthritis will flare up I won’t be long sweetheart.”

Stopping the old woman in her tracks Tara took the prescription out of Mrs Browns hand and indicated that she take a seat.

“You’re not going anywhere with that ice out there; I’ll go get it.” The young woman proclaimed zipping up her coat and quickly leaving so Lydia couldn’t argue. Mrs Brown sat flabbergasted.

The queue In the pharmacy was long, Tara figured that a lot of people must forget to pick up their prescriptions during the course of the day, she silently thank the goddess that pharmacy’s had walls and a heating system as her hands began to sting from going from one extreme to another.

Blowing a breath of air out from between her cheeks the blonde pursed herself for a long wait and cursed Mrs Brown’s bad memory.

Willow stood outside the Drake restaurant, cell phone against her ear listening to the endless ring of Oz’s phone. Her mood was black as realisation set in that he was either going to be extremely late or just not show at all. Checking her watch the time read six-fifteen, already feeling the cold through the material of her long black coat Willow pulled it more tightly around herself.

Checking her watch after what seemed like hours the time read six thirty-five and Willow finally relented feeling angry and defeated, she made her way to her car.

Getting in the redhead sat for a moment before digging the keys out of her pocket, then something caught her eye.

“Damnit!” She cursed, reaching for the folder that she had wrapped in an elastic band hours before in her office. Climbing out of her car she prayed she could make it before the bank closed at seven and stood impatiently by the side of the road waiting for a clearing so she could cross.

Twanging the elastic with her thumb and index finger time and time again it made a thwacking sound as it hit the material of the folder, pulling it a little too hard the elastic snapped.

“Shit!” She cursed, pulling her hand back at the pain causing her to drop the folder. A sudden gust of wind sent the contents scattering onto the road and the red-haired woman made a grab for them.

“Watch it!!!!” A voice screamed, Looking up Willow saw the blonde woman from the park before being thrown up into the air, her head smacking the windshield of the car that had come out of nowhere and her body swerved with the vehicle as the driver tried desperately to brake but the ice on the road made it difficult.

Finally coming to a holt Willow’s injured body rolled off the car and landed on the concrete.

Tara ran to the woman’s aid kneeling down beside her, her heart beat so fasts he could hear it in her ears and her mind tried to think of what to do, seeing a cell phone on the road that had fallen out of Willow’s pocket, the blonde picked it up and dialled 911.

The white hospital walls made Tara feel uncomfortable; nothing but a plane colour made the place so unwelcoming and clinical. The hospital waiting room had been busy when the blonde arrived, but now only a few people remained as the clock on the wall indicated that is was almost 11pm.

After the ambulance arrived the crew had been so efficient and quick seeing to the redheads injuries that the entire affair had become nothing but a blur, when the ambulance woman asked Tara if she would like a ride to the hospital the blonde instinctively said yes not wanting to leave the mystery woman on her own. Throughout the journey to the hospital the young woman had gone in and out of unconsciousness, eventually the groans that showed the amount of pain the redhead was in ceased, and she didn’t wake up.

As soon as they arrived at the hospital doctors and nurses hurried around doing their jobs trying to assess the young woman's injuries and save her life, Tara had then gone to the main desk and answered questions from the woman sat typing the blonde’s answers into a computer and when the clerk asked if Tara was a relative she lied and immediately said yes not wanting the mystery woman to be on her own. The clerk then gave the blonde a form to fill out which she had extreme difficulties with, she only had the sparse information of the injured woman's wallet to go by.

Sitting up straight the blonde stretched her stiffening muscles and was startled slightly as a doctor in a long white coat came up beside her.

“Are you the relative of a... Willow Rosenberg?” The doctor asked.

“Uh.... yes.” The blonde hesitated, trying to remember if that was the name of her new ‘sister’ “Is she going to be ok?”

“Well.” He sighed taking a seat beside her. “Willow was hurt quite bad, her left leg and arm are both broken due to the impact of the collision and she took a nasty bump to the head, although there are no internal injuries just a few cuts and bruises here and there the swelling on her brain could become a problem, we don’t know just how bad the swelling will get. We’re just going to have to wait and see. We are giving her medication to keep the swelling to a minimum but we can only give her them for so long before they start to have adverse affects.”

Tara’s mouth opened and closed, but the words wouldn’t come out. The beautiful woman she had been observing in the park was now fighting for life in a hospital bed and there wasn’t anything she could do. A tear escaped her eye and she wiped it away quickly before it managed to work its way down her cheek.

“C-can I see her?” Was the only thing the blonde could think to say.

Nodding his head the doctor stood and led the way.

Tara could see as she was coming up to the room, the glass window provided the view of Willow surrounded by machines and wires. Tara entered the room quietly as if trying not to wake a sleeping woman, although fully aware that she couldn’t wake her if she tried.

The redhead looked so frail and vulnerable as machines beeped and wires disappeared under the white sheet that covered the woman’s small body. The blonde felt her eyes welling up again and grabbed a tissue form a small box on a cabinet beside the bed.

“Uh.... you may want to inform the rest of your family. Her personal effects are in the cabinet.” The doctor advised. “I’ll leave you alone.” With that he slipped out of the room leaving Tara alone with the mystery woman.

Tara sipped at the steaming cup of coffee she had just purchased from the machine to help calm her nerves. Stopping a passing nurse she asked where she could find the nearest payphone then made her way to it.

Picking out Willow’s mom’s number from the phone book on the redhead’s cell Tara called the number.

“You have reached Mrs and Mr Rosenberg's number I’m afraid we can’t come to the phone right now, please leave your name and number after the beep and we will get back to you.” A very authoritative female voice spoke clearly on the answering machine. Tara sighted in frustration deciding not to leave a message with such horrible news and called the only other number in the red-haired woman’s cell phone.

After having no success with that number either Tara slammed the phone against the receiver. “Damnit does nobody in her family care enough to be home?!” The young woman cursed to herself receiving a worried look from a passing man.

Lifting her hand to try and rub away the headache that was beginning to surface, the blonde’s attention was brought to a small white pharmacy bag she had been carrying.

“Oh fuck!” She cursed again hurrying towards the exit “What the hell is happening today?!”

Mrs Brown hurried to the door before it got knocked off it’s hinges by the hard banging on the other side, she swung the door open about to give a good telling off to the culprit, but immediately thawed at the frozen sight of Tara standing in her doorway.

“Oh child, what happened to you? That’s twice you’ve had me worried today keep this up and you’ll be giving me a coronary in no time.”

“Something terrible happened Mrs Brown, I’m so sorry. I hope your arthritis isn’t hurting too badly.” The young woman explained entering the old lady’s apartment.

“Oh no dear it’s not too bad, come in and take a seat, tell me what happened.”

Tara filled Mrs Brown in on the events of the past few hours and the old woman's heart broke at the image in her head of that poor girl being hit by a vehicle.

“Was it someone you knew, Tara?” Mrs Brown asked at the lone tear making it was down the blonde’s cheek.

“I... No, sort of ... I’ve seen her around. I tried to call her mother but I only got a machine, I thought it best not to leave a message with such terrible news.” The blonde sniffled; taking a tissue handed to her by the old woman.

“Oh no, absolutely you did the right thing, but maybe you shouldn’t have told the hospital you were a relative. Couldn’t you get in contact with anyone else?”

“I know I shouldn’t have, but I couldn’t leave her on her own... There were only two numbers in her cell phone and neither was any help, maybe I should try her parents again? It’s almost 1am if they’re not home now then they never will be.” Getting up out her seat Tara made her way to the door.

“Thank you for your help Mrs Brown.”

“No child, you don't need to thank me, ever. You’re so kind hearted I wonder if it’s sometimes too much.” The old woman kissed Tara lightly on the cheek before opening the door. “Keep me posted on what’s happening ok?”

Turning the light on in her apartment suddenly the space seemed so constricting, the walls felt like they were closing in on here and the blonde rubbed her sore eyes with her hands as a heavy feeling settled in her chest making breathing feel like such an effort. Missy crept out from under a cushion on the couch and let out a loud meow drawing the blonde’s attention to her. Walking over to the couch Tara picked up her beloved cat and gave her a stroke behind the ears.

“It all went wrong today Missy.” Tara told the ginger and white feline receiving a pitiful look from big green eyes encouraging her to keep up the stroking.

Tara didn’t know the red-haired woman personally, but that angelic face plagued her thoughts day and night, her features were described in detail in page after page of her latest creation, yet That morning the mystery woman didn’t have a name. Now she was Willow Rosenberg with a mother a farther and an Oz.

Tara crossed the road carefully, after the fiasco the night before she didn’t wish to see a repeat performance. Making her way to Carlton Street, Tara knew the streets of Sunnydale pretty well after practically every journey she took was on foot. Her navigation system told her Carlton Street was on the East Side and was full of snooty high-class professionals.

The roads were quiet due to the time of day, the blonde hadn’t slept at all, her body unable to relax into the softness of her bed, she spent most of the night tossing and turning until eventually giving up and trying to call Willow’s parents again to no avail. Frustration set in once again and made the need to do something more prominent.

Checking her watch the big hand and little hand told her it was six-fifteen, the coldness of the morning made her body shake uncontrollably and the rhythm of her breathing could be visibly seen as the warmth of her exhaled breath collided with the frozen air. The sun not yet making an appearance Tara made her way through the dark streets towards the address that had been written on a piece of paper in Willow’s wallet.

Finally reaching the street she wanted, Tara walked down it slowly, awe struck by the large houses “Looks like something out of Lady and the Tramp.” She commented to herself. Each house as well kept as the next, front lawns neatly mowed and each had it’s own driveway that lead up to a garage.

Standing in front of a slightly less kept House Tara checked the address that was written on the piece of paper again and nodded in affirmation, that was the one she was looking for.

Opening a black metal gate that was beginning to give in to rust, Tara then walked up the cobbled path, taking note of the over growing grass.

Reaching the large oak door she then knocked and waited for an answer.

A few minutes passed before her patience wore out and she couldn’t resist peeking through the large bay window where only a sheet stopped passers by from seeing what was inside. As the sun was beginning to appear it provided a little light and she could just make out boxes strewn about the floor.

“OK, nobody’s home.” Biting her lip the blonde knitted her brows together and thought for a moment. Digging the key out of her pocket that had been with the rest of Willow’s things she pushed it into the lock and opened the door. “I hope if someone’s here they aren't naked.” She prayed to herself.

The smell of the room assaulted her nostrils and she wafted at her nose with her hand, deciding to open the back door to let in some air and relieve the room of the old fusty smell that lingered, she then began to search to see if anyone was there. “Hello?” The blonde shouted without success, her eyes took in the decor of the room, it’s high ceiling made it seem larger than it actually was and the old floral patterned wallpaper made her want to give a decorating lesson to it’s owner. “Definitely a fixer upper.”

Dejectedly Tara gave in to the fact that nobody was there; her heart sank at the thought that nobody who mattered to the woman lying in a hospital bed was around to encourage her to get better. Deciding to have a look around to make sure there weren't any pets that needed some attention the blonde went upstairs, hearing a scratching sound coming from the far room she smiled when the twitching nose of a little white and ginger hamster poked out from behind the bars of it’s cage.

After spending some time with the small, energetic hamster Tara took a slow walk through the streets of Sunnydale, making her way to the hospital she stopped to pick up a cup of coffee and some flowers, before heading up to Willow’s room she attempting to call the redhead’s parents again but with no luck.

“Hi.” A nurse greeted as she walked into the room. “I’m Nurse Carmichael.”

“Hey.” The blonde attempted a smile. “How is Willow doing?”

“Well, we’re still playing a waiting game we won’t know for sure until a few days, but it’s best to stay positive.” The nurse tried to reassure Tara as much as she could.

The blonde nodded her understanding; not really knowing how to be positive in the situation she had found herself in. “If anything changes over night or.... whenever, even if it’s just her eye twitching can you call me? I gave my number to the woman at the front desk when she asked me to fill out some forms.”

“Ok.” The nurse agreed. “Take care of yourself too you look like you haven't slept, you’re no good to this young lady if you’re exhausted now.”

“I will thank you.”

Tara watched the nurse leave the room and she sighed heavily. Yesterday morning she had woken up and all was fine, now all was falling apart.

Gently the blonde leaned forward and took Willow’s smaller hand in her own, stroking the back of her hand softly, feeling smooth skin beneath the pad of her thumb. Taking in the sleeping face of such a beautiful woman Tara blinked as her eyes welled up. The gash on the right side of the smaller woman’s forehead undoubtedly going to leave a constant reminder of such a life altering accident.

To Be Continued....

Sorry for the sadness of it, but it gets better I promise update next wednesday :)

Auburn

Edited by: Auburn at: 11/17/04 2:57 pm

Post subject: Re: A Spark To A Flame
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:08 pm 
This is a really good beginning. I can't wait to see the nextupdate. You're right, it was a little sad but i'm sure it'll all get better soon!! Good work!

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:37 pm 
Hey Auburn! I'm thrilled to see another story here by you.

Awesome beginning. You already have me hopelessly drawn in.

Can't wait for the next update!

Wimpy

"There was plenty of magic." ~ Tara

Post subject: what the fu...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:38 pm 
what on earth... ohmygod this is bad.this is really really bad.

what a start to a fic.way to grab hold of our heartstrings and pull.and what of tara witnessing it all? surely she wont be fairing well either as she learn of her attraction to willow. and

speaking of...why?! why? whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

:sob . poor willow.i just i um that is um,oh god:thud .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:51 pm 
It is really unfortunate an accident is what brings W/T together, but I am ready to see how things turn out.

Tara: My heart doesn't stutter.

Tara: Willow, I got so lost.

Willow: I found you. I will always find you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:58 am 
So I love the new story it has a personal touch as you mentioned in the forward (is that the right word):confused type thing to me that always makes the writing more relatable (is that the right word):confused Good news about the update though I love it. Hope to:read ore soon.:read

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:28 am 
Hey, great to see a new story by you.

Very interesting and dramatic start! Can't wait to see more! :)

s79

I look at horses and I see really big ponies.

The greatest thing you'll learn, is just to love and be loved in return.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:09 am 
This is an excellent beginning to your new story. These two women are desparately lonely, and in need of love and companionship.

Tara, as a struggling writer, has only her cat and her aged landlady/surrogate grandmother(?), but she seems a warm and caring person. Willow, while successful in business, keeps everyone at arm's length. She's cold, formal and demanding with her employees, and much the same with Oz, while her relationship with her parents seems pretty much as in canon. The fact that she has only two numbers in her phone directory is a sad commentary on her life. It will be interesting to see how this near-death experience changes her.

So where the heck was Oz anyway? After begging for a date, he stands her up? The boy's got some 'splainin' to do.

Looking forward to Wednesdays, now.

Russ

When we love and give it everything we've got, no matter what the consequences, we are doing what we were put here to do -- Geneen Roth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:15 am 
yay for another auburn story! this is quite depressing though...make them happy!! and kill oz..make HIM get hit by a car!! not willow!!

~mel:kdevil

'The Cat in the Hat' is fine, just not during sex.--Alyson Hannigan

Post subject: Re:Sparky
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:44 am 
:clap What a wonderful start. Altought is sad Willow is so alone. Lucky Tara had come into her life :applause

I wish Willow woke up soon and she and Tara meet each other for real. Oz, better off the picture. Where the heck is he?:fit

upload asap. Love the fic :luv

Post subject: Re: Re:Sparky
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:16 am 
WOW!! This is great. And wow.

More soon, please.

brittney

~Good friends help you move. Real friends help you move the body.~

Post subject: Whoot
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:08 pm 
Hooray for another story from you.

And such a good one at that! I really like this storyline! Sad, but nonetheless interesting and just really good!

Oz needs his ass kicked for sure. Hopefully there will just be no more of him. OH man! Watch it be Oz that hit her and all "oops".. and just drives away never to be seen again. :sigh Wouldn't put it past him.

Tara's such a sweetheart. Cares for all animals, her old landlady, and of course her genuine concern for Willow. They really need each other, so make it happen soon huh? :D

Can't wait to read the next chapter!

Ashleigh

Post subject: Re: Whoot
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:57 am 
Great new fic :read

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:24 am 
This is really good ! Your writing style is clear and concise, and it plays to the emotions very well. The premise for the story, although sad... is a fresh perspective. I'll be looking forward to the next update.

It's quite exceptional :bow .

behindhereyes

Kim

"To the world, you may be one person; but to one person, you may be the world"

Post subject: Replys
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:38 pm 
Willster: Thank you and It does get better I promise :)

Wimpy: Another story by me eh? is there a name for an addiction of writing? cuz if there is then I’m it hehe!:shock

Willohand: Sorry hun:flower

The Rose24: I agree it is unfortunate and extremely sad, but every cloud has a silver lining and this lining shines really bright, I promise:angel

silentinformer: Hey you, sneaky one! Yes this story has a personal touch which does make the writing more relatable. See you Wednesday :wave

Snuggles (Snuggle79 but snuggles is cuter): Thank you :flower

alysagoddess85: You know I wouldn’t leave Willow and Tara all miserable, have Faith... I’ll get to smutty goodness and stuff soon :wink

Viximon: Willow was alone, but Tara is there for her so she isn’t alone anymore she just needs to wake up so they can meet properly. :glasses

amazonaa: Thank you:flower

VixenyTarashot: I like your name (Ashleigh) Oz is a bit of a ‘git’ in this story I suppose, his intensions are good but he just never manages to follow through with them I’m sure now Willow will realise that he isn’t right for her and a little birdie tells me Tara is. Yes Tara is a sweetheart, but she always is and always will be...:luv

SJ: your usual long feedback, I can rely on you to be consistent at least:rofl

russ: Willow and Tara are lonely I suppose that is true, Willow’s relationship was struggled and she was always being let down by Oz’s love for his band. Her parents are never home, always off to Europe on business and she, a successful business woman, has only an empty house to go home to. At least Tara has Mrs Brown and Missy.

Oz does have some ‘splainin’ to do but I doubt whatever he has to say will be good enough. See you Wednesday bright and early :boot

behindhereyes: You have become a little posting fiend so I have seen, your name pops up everywhere on the board. Thank you for your feedback because it is also clear and concise and plays very well to my ego. I’m just kidding, but yes... anyway... thank you:bigkiss

Auburn

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results

Post subject: Re: Replys
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:34 pm 
Good beginning. Well, actually, sad beginning, but good nonetheless. Can't wait to see these two meet properly and fall in love.

She danced as they say in that song - like a wave on the ocean.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:53 pm 
so wednesday hmmm can't wait although I have to admit that I may be a tad impatient by then but at least you aren't as big of an angst hound as some people. So at least the loyal readers will be rewarded with snuggles soon right?:blush

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:01 pm 
I really love this! Please continue :wave

Ps...I'd say something constructive, but its been a long day :(

xoxo

Emms

I can wax philisophically on a variety of different subjects...that doesn't,however, mean that I have anything constructive to add to the conversation.

--- Me

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:42 pm 
Aww you like my name :blush Thanks... lol

And I like that little birdy thats talkin to ya :wink

More soon??

I need updaaate! haha

Ashleigh

"...A-and I'm gonna make it up to you. Starting right now."

(Starts to smile)"Right now?"

Post subject: Spark To A Flame
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:12 pm 
Author name: Auburn

Email address: GemmaQT@hotmail.com

Rating: PG-13 on this part

Disclaimer: I don't own these characters but the story is mine.

Summary: Tara admires Willow from a distance until an accident brings them closer together. some angst, but obviously I wouldn’t do anything too awful to read.

3 Wake up Call:

The next few days Tara spent trying to find somebody Willow knew, there still wasn’t any answer from her parent’s phone and she figured they must be out of town. The blonde had been going back and fourth from her own apartment to the house on Carlton street to keep the little furry rodent company, it’s energetic enthusiasm amused her and the way it’s nose twitched at a speedy rate. She had debated whether or not to take the little rodent home with her to save the trip of going back and fourth, but decided Missy wouldn’t be to glad of the company and she had to keep bringing in the redheads mail anyway, that had confirmed her knowledge that this house was in fact Willow’s.

Her visits to the hospital were regular, so regular the nurses had began to call her by her first name and greet her warmly as she entered the ward, but so far there had only been minor changes in Willow‘s condition, she became responsive to some of the nurses attempts to rouse her whilst checking her reflex responses and those abilities had increased over the last few days bringing her to a closer level of consciousness.

Tara took up the familiar position next to the sleeping redhead, her hand holding the smaller one softly, her thumb in its regular stroking motion against smooth skin. Every event in the redheads life since she arrived at the hospital four days ago had been documented in Tara’s memory as the nurses informed her of subtle changes that had accrued in Willow’s condition. The doctor had taken Willow off the medication that had been keeping the swelling of her brain to a minimum and he had been enthusiastic that the outcome would be a good one, which helped the blonde rest a little.

“Hi Tara.” Nurse Carmichael greeted as she entered the room and began to check the redhead’s vitals as she did regularly throughout her shift.

“Hi Miss Carmichael. Has there been any change?”

The middle aged woman smiled warmly “I have good news. “The nurse beamed “Doctor Williams said that Willow’s brain has stopped swelling and substantially decreased that’s good now We’re just waiting for her to wake.....”

The nurse was interrupted by a low groan, her eyes immediately looked up from the clipboard she had been writing on and rested her gaze on Tara thinking she was the culprit of the groan, but as the blonde stood abruptly and leaned over the bed to capture the redheads free hand from removing the oxygen tube against her nose. Nurse Carmichael quickly put the clipboard down and pressed the buzzer beside the bed for assistance.

“What are you doing?” Tara asked a little panicked by the nurse’s reaction.

“It’s ok, I just pressed the buzzer to call one of the nurses they’ll come and see what’s happening then page doctor Williams so he can do some tests.” The nurse placed her hand over Tara’s that was gently holding Willow’s. “Tara it’s best that you wait outside.”

“But she might need me...” Tara tried to reason, but realised that perhaps she would only hinder the doctor, constantly asking questions. Giving the smaller woman’s hand a gentle squeeze the blonde then left the room.

Letting out a breath she didn’t know she’d be holding Tara felt a heaviness in her chest as her hands began to shake, stepping quietly into the room, the blonde couldn’t stop staring at green orbs that, however sleepy, looked back at her.

“Doctor Williams said there wasn’t going to be any long-term damage.” Nurse Carmichael beamed although she wasn’t quite sure her words had been heard by the look on Tara’s face. “ He would like a word with you if you could call in at the nurses station before you leave that would be great. She keeps drifting in and out, but don’t be alarmed. I’ll leave you alone.”

After spending almost an hour waiting for the doctor to finish his examination Tara felt physically and emotionally exhausted, fear causing her mind to mull over the possible consequences of such an accident.

“You know when the doctor asked me what my sister’s name was I thought I had amnesia.” A small voice croaked dryly.

Tara’s eyes began to shimmer from unshed tears as she came up to the side of Willow’s bed. “I’m sorry about that, it’s the only way they’d let me see you.”

“That’s ok, I heard the nurse call you Tara as I was waking up. It’s a nice name.” Willow smiled as much as her dry lips would allow without cracking, her eyes studied the blonde woman’s face intently before giving way to much needed sleep.

Tara sat quietly in the chair beside the redhead’s bed, relief washed over her so much she could have sworn someone had lifted and invisible force off her shoulders. Resting her head in her hand her eyes closed for what seemed like a moment until she was lightly nudged awake.

“I told you that you needed sleep.” Nurse Carmichael chastised whilst walking around the bed and picking up a plastic cup full of water guiding it towards Willow’s lips, Gently holding Willow’s head she tried carefully not to spill any.

“I-I... Didn’t realise I was tired.” She answered honestly, shaking away the last remnants of sleep from her head.

The nurse shook her head lightly “I’m going off shift now Willow, but if you need anything press the buzzer.” Sending a warm smile Tara’s way she left the room.

“You’ll hurt your neck sleeping like that.” Willow spoke her voice barely audible.

“Don’t you start telling me off too.” The blonde chuckled.

The room fell quiet for a moment before Willow spoke up. “You’re the woman from the park?” It was more of a question than a statement.

“Yes, I’m usually sitting there with a pen and paper like a dork.”

“You always look so pensive.” The redhead said around a smile.

“So do you.” Tara pointed out. “Will.... uh sorry Willow, I haven’t been able to contact anyone to let them know what happened. I hope you don’t mind but I looked in your cell for stored numbers and there was only two. I didn’t have any luck with either of them.”

The redhead turned her head to face Tara at hearing the blonde say her name for the first time and she bathed in the softness of the other woman’s voice. “My mom and dad are out of town and my.... my ex-boyfriend will probably be on some road trip with his band. That’s a new cell phone and I’d only had enough time to put those numbers in before I left for work. I have the hotel number my mom and dad are staying in on speed dial at home. They’ll have probably called me, but as I’m not home I won’t have answered” The redhead explained stifling a yawn and wincing at the pain in her head. “Oh damn lightening!”

“Lightening?” Tara’s brow furrowed in confusion at the outburst as she tried to ignore the mention of Willow’s ‘ex-boyfriend’

“My hamster, she’ll be on her own and she’ll have run out of food and Buffy won’t know where I am and....and....” Frustrated tears began to well up in the redheads eyes making the green orbs shimmer, one tear managed to break free and fall down Willow’s cheek.

“Shh it’s ok.”

Taking a tissue from the small box on a cabinet besides the bed Tara noticed that there were less machines around and not half as many tubes as there had been when she first arrived. Gently wiping away the tear, her touched lingered until she was sure no more would fall.

“Lightening is the little mischievous furball that likes to nibble on your sleeve, right?” Tara smirked when Willow’s mouth open and shut in surprise. “I went to the address written on a piece of paper in your wallet to see if I could find anybody and let them know what happened, I’ve been keeping the energetic bundle of fun company the last few days after I collected your mail. I hope you don’t mind.” Tara began to worry that maybe Willow wouldn’t appreciate her going into her home without permission. “Maybe I shouldn’t have gone in....”

“No no. I-I-I really don’t know what to say except thank you.” The redhead smiled as best she could then tried suppressing another yawn. “I really am grateful for your help....”

“There’s a phone in your home?” Tara interrupted suddenly realising Willow had said something about a phone. Her memory pictured all the rooms and yet didn’t remember seeing a phone.

“Yeah, although it’ll probably be under a mountain of boxes, you’ve been in there you know how much of a wreck it is.” The redhead’s voice was barely above a whisper as her eyes fought to stay open.

Happy that she could now contact somebody that could suitably take care of the weak redhead Tara took Willow’s uninjured hand in her own and gently squeezed. “Get some rest Will; I’ll be back tomorrow.” Lifting the hand to her lips she pressed them against the soft skin and smiled at the mumble she received before leaving the room.

The cold wind wisped mercilessly around Tara’s shivering frame as she made her way to Willow’s house, determined to find that phone that had managed to elude her for the better part of a week and to make sure the miniature furball was ok.

Slipping the key in the lock, she noted that it was harder to turn than usual and cursed the cold a little before entering the equally cold house, tripping over a discarded box her curses became more colourful. The pungent smell of fustiness assaulted her nostrils as it always did and she cursed that to, although she noted that it wasn’t as bad as when she first entered the old house.

“Hey lightening.” The blonde greeted her new friend now knowing its real name. She had moved the little bundle of energy down to the living room deciding that a dark and dank living room was better than a dark and dank bedroom. “Where’s your mommy’s phone?” She spoke more to herself knowing the hamster couldn’t answer back.

It took Tara the better part of an hour to dig through the mass of boxes that were scattered around the house not knowing which room the phone was actually in she got tired of searching one room then moved on to another. One box had even fell apart as she lifted it scattering the contents over the floor. Finally, triumphantly lifting a box in the far corner of the kitchen Tara blew away a stray strand of hair that tickled her nose and remembered that Willow had told her the hotel number was on speed dial. Pressing the necessary button she waited for an answer.

“This is the Ritz hotel I’m Federico how may I help you?” A man answered, his deep voice held a strong accent.

“Uh...Hi I wonder if you could put me through to a...um...” diving into her back pocket Tara pulled out Willow’s wallet and searched for the drivers licence that was neatly placed in one of the compartments and checked the last name, hoping it was the same as her mothers. “....a Mrs Rosenberg please?”

It took the Clerk a few minutes to find the room they were in and patch Tara through to their room and when she finally heard a female voice answer the phone she sighed in relief.

Mrs Rosenberg's worry and shock were clearly noticed in the woman’s voice as she frantically explained to her husband about Willow’s accident, both took a few moments to process the information, their emotions unable to handle the sudden news and although Tara reassured them that Willow was going to be ok she knew they’d only relax once they saw for themselves. Mrs Rosenberg assured the blonde that she would call back in a few moments after she got herself and her husband on the next flight home and inform Tara of the date.

Leaning against the wall Tara sighed as another weight lifted off her shoulders knowing that she had managed to get hold of someone Willow could depend on. The little scratching noises coming from Lightning's cage brought a smile to the blonde’s face as she placed the phone on top of a box rather than under it. Noticing the flashing light Tara debated with herself about whether she should listen to the messages, her curiosity won out and she pushed the button justifying it to herself that maybe there was something on there that Willow needed to know.

The first few messages, as predicted were from Willow’s parents, worried that they hadn’t managed to get hold of their daughter in a while, a few more messages were from work wondering where the redhead was, but the last message was more intriguing as Tara listened intently.

“Willow, it’s me....uh Oz. Look I was running late Friday night and when I did get there there was an ambulance and police cars, but you weren’t around. I guess you got kinda pissed and left.... It’s....I guess it’s dawning on me that maybe we can’t make this work...” a long silence played over the machine as it seemed the young man was collecting his thoughts. “...call me when you get this message.”

Making one last call to Willow’s work the number had also been placed on speed dial with neat handwriting next to the appropriate button, a young woman answered the phone and her relief was clear by sounds of sniffles. The young woman thanked Tara for informing her and assured she would let everyone in the company know what had happened and that she would be down at the hospital as soon as possible.

Finally finished making calls Tara made her way to the hamster and she managed once again to trip over a box. “Dammit! That’s it, I’m going to straighten this mess out.” She vowed.

“Hi.” Tara spoke softly to nurse Carmichael setting down a bag that had been hanging from her shoulder. Rubbing the now sore muscle the blonde sat down quietly in the chair next to Willow’s bed. “How’s she doing?”

“Well,” the nurse sighed. “She’s stubborn that’s for sure, she keeps trying to fight the pain relief medication that’s making her drowsy by staying awake for as long as possible and the police paid a visit asking questions about the accident, it’s standard procedure in this kind of situation.” She assured.

Nodding her head in understanding the blonde watched nurse Carmichael leave the room quietly and leaned back in the chair studying the redheads features.

Green eyes suddenly stared back at her and Tara jumped a little, expecting Willow to be asleep for sometime, quickly recovering herself she smiled warmly.

“You’re....” Willow rasped her voice dry in her throat.

The blonde stood and poured some water from a jug into a plastic cup and guided the cup to Willow’s lips. The redhead took a few small sips, the cool water gliding soothingly down her throat. Placing the cup back on the cabinet beside the bed Tara took her seat and unconsciously grasped the redhead’s hand.

“You’re here more than the doctors and nurses.” Willow finished her sentence, feeling cold fingers wrap around her smaller hand. She looked down at their interlocking digits and smiled wondering if it was to comfort her or the blonde.

“That’s because I worry more than the doctors and nurses, and if I were at home I’d only be pacing around wanting to see how you were.” Tara explained, feeling her cheeks begin to flush at the admission. “I...uh brought you some clothes from your house, anything's better than the open back hospital gown, oh and some fruit, fruit seems like a traditional thing to bring to hospital I saw it on ER once.”

This made Willow chuckle and she lightly squeezed the hand in hers then winced at the slight pain in her head.

Tara gave Willow a sympathetic look before remembering, “Oh I managed to get hold of your mom and dad, they were so shocked and your mother is panicking a little, but I tried to reassure her as best I could. I also managed to get hold of Buffy she was so relieved I think she was actually crying.”

Willow looked at the familiar face she had seen so many times before in the park, many times whilst sitting on the frosty grass she had debated internally about whether or not to introduce herself, but her shyness always won out and she had to be content with just staring instead. Taking in the sight before her Willow smiled softly as the woman's blonde hair was pinned up lazily out of her face and her blue eyes were filled with genuine concern. The redhead was more than grateful for this woman’s help and vowed to get to know her now that she had the chance.

“Are you ok Will?” Tara’s concerned look was born out of the odd way the redhead had suddenly zoned out and gazed at her, her green eyes piercing blue ones.

“I... I was just thinking, I do that sometimes.” The redhead began to blush at the intense scrutiny she was receiving under Tara’s gaze.

Deciding not to pry Tara changed the subject “Oh.. Um, there was a message on your machine. I checked them just to make sure there was nothing too important I hope you don’t mind. It was from someone by the name of Oz.” Tara instantly noted the saddened look in the redheads eyes as she mentioned the man’s name.

“What did he say?” Willow asked, knowing that after the last unsuccessful ‘meeting’ that things really were over between them.

Tara hesitated for a moment not sure if she should carry on as the subject clearly upset the injured woman, but the pleading look in Willow’s eyes made her relent.

“He said he was late that night and when he got there he saw an ambulance but couldn’t see you... he said some other stuff to, but I think that it’s between you and him.”

Nodding her head in agreement Willow shifted uncomfortably in the bed, her face, still pale from the obvious trauma her body had been through, scrunched up as pain shot from her left side.

Noticing the sudden distress written on Willow’s face, Tara jumped up from her seat and stood beside the redhead, still grasping her hand, she ran her free hand along the redhead's cheek.

“Are you ok? Is there something I could get for you? Do you need help? Do you want me to call a nurse?”

The array of questions that were thrown at her from the blonde made Willow calm a little, she unconsciously turned her head to the hand gently caressing her cheek and sighed.

“I’m sick and tired of feeling sick and tired.”

The small pout that graced Willow’s lips made Tara smile warmly. Still gently stroking the soft skin with the back of her hand the blonde heard Willow’s breathing become even and deep and knew she had drifted off to sleep.

4 Home Time:

After a full night of much needed sleep Tara woke feeling revitalised, the past five days drained so much of her energy she had been running on empty for at least two of them and it was starting to show in her eyes. The blue orbs always gave away any indication that she wasn’t feeling to good, no matter how she tried to hide it, those who knew her could easily tell and Mrs Brown had been adamant that a nice hot bath and good nights sleep was in order.

Tara had to admit, even though she had been reluctant to allow herself to relax whilst her mind worried about the redhead laying in hospital by herself, that a good nights sleep had been just what she needed.

Slipping her shoe on Tara was interrupted by a knock on the door, answering it she was greeted with the beaming face of Mrs Brown. Stepping aside she allowed the woman entrance and pointed to the chair in front of a small table for her to sit on.

Mrs Brown took in the form of her tenant and friend, deciding that Tara had taken her advice and had a good nights sleep she was happy not to press the matter and instead handed the blonde a small envelope.

“Is there any special requests today Mrs Brown? Do you need me to go to the pharmacy or anything? Because I have to warn you that the last time I did the outcome was not pretty.”

The old woman chuckled lightly and shook her head. “Not today dear, just my usual Wednesday shopping if you don’t mind and what have I told you about my name.”

Tara blushed a little and smiled sheepishly. “Sorry Lydia.... do you want some coffee?”

“No no child I’m sure you’ve got a lot you need to be doing today, don’t want to be sitting here talking to little old me when you could be spending your time doing more productive things.” The old woman said, whilst standing. “Now everything’s in there that I would like you to get for me sweetheart and wrap up warn it’s cold outside. No doubt you’ll be going to see your friend in hospital please tell her I send my regards.”

“I will.” Tara stood and led the old woman to the door. “See you later Mrs Brown I won’t be too late.”

Tara scanned the isles of the supermarket for the items written on the list that her landlord had placed in the envelope and also for some items she needed for herself, the store seemed quiet and the blonde figured it was because most people were at work. Dumping a block of cheese in the shopping cart Tara’s eye caught sight of the magazine rack at the bottom of the isle and a thought came to her head.

Guiding the cart to the rack she picked out some magazines, not knowing the redheaded woman that well Tara went by her own preference and hoped it was good enough. This should at least pass a little time for Willow when she started to feel less drowsy.

Having gotten the asked for items for Mrs Brown and herself plus a little extra, Tara dropped the stuff off at her apartment building accepting a nice hot cup of coco from her landlord to warm her chilled digits that the merciless breeze had made stiff with its unrelenting bitterness. The blonde then made her way to the hospital in the freezing cold, the only solace in the cold weather was thought that Christmas wasn’t far off, the holidays always brought a sense of peace as she shared that special time with her mother and older brother.

Tara shook herself as she realised she had been daydreaming for most of her journey to the hospital. Stepping into the large building that housed many sick and injured people, the blonde made her way to Willow’s room.

As the blonde opened the door she immediately stopped when three sets of eyes turned to look at her, standing in the doorway her cheeks started to burn and she backed up slowly.

“I’m sorry.... I’ll come back later.”

“No, it’s ok come on in, take a seat.” Willow smiled reassuringly, her eyes studying the blushing face of her rescuer.

A woman that looked alarmingly like an older version of Willow watched her every move as she pulled a chair closer to the redhead’s bed and a man nodded his head in greeting.

“Tara these are my parents.” The redhead introduce them, “Mom, Dad this is Tara, she rescued me.”

“Well I don’t know about that all I did was call for an ambulance.” The blonde protested lightly, the colour of her cheeks spreading down her neck.

“Either way I’m grateful.” Willow grinned, enjoying the flush of her new friend’s skin.

“Yes, Tara we spoke on the phone, It’s very nice to meet you.” The older woman smiled warmly, “I’m just sorry it was in such appalling circumstances. Well darling, we need to get going and get ourselves organised.” Mrs Rosenberg announced bouncing up from her seat she took her husband by the arm and pulled him up also. “We’ll be back after dinner to check on you, not that you’ll be going anywhere.”

Willow smiled weakly at her mother and raised her cheek so her farther could kiss her goodbye.

Tara watched as the two older people retreated into the hall and closed the door behind them, turning back to face Willow she noticed the redhead visibly deflate into the bed and lifted an eyebrow in question.

“They’re a little overbearing.” The redhead explained, but the playful rolling of Willow’s eyes softened the statement.

Tara however didn’t buy that explanation. When she first walked into the room she was glad to see the redhead had perked up a little, but the visible deflation when Willow’s parents left told her that it was an act for their benefit, probably to worry them less.

A few moments of silence passed as the blonde removed her coat, she was about to ask the redhead how she was really feeling, but as she looked up, green orbs were hidden by the delicate skin of Willow’s eyelids and deep, steady breathing indicated that the redhead was asleep.

Tara shook her head and sighed, Willow had obviously pushed herself to stay awake for her parents visit. Settling herself comfortably in the chair, the blonde pulled out her pen and pad and succumb to her imagination.

Willow awoke to the distinctive noise of pen scratching against paper, her curiosity peaked, she opened her eyes to the sight of Tara concentrating wholly on her task, whatever that may be.

The redhead lay for a few moments watching what she recognised very well as memories from the blonde huddled against a tree flooded her mind. Surprisingly this image brought warmth to her chest and a smile to her face that she couldn’t quite explain, but the familiarity of the scene before her was pleasantly comforting.

Tara had decided to stay as Willow slept in the bed beside her, her pen and paper had provided much amusement as her imagination once again soared with the presence of the redhead. Nurse Carmichael had been and tried to make light conversation whilst changing Willow’s catheter bag and checking various monitors, but Tara had simply grunted barely registering the woman’s presence, to caught up in the story spilling out from her mind and unfolding on the paper before her.

A soft chuckle finally penetrated Tara’s overactive mind and she looked up at the culprit to be greeted with playful green eyes and the image warmed her heart. Although she was a little surprised to be caught off guard the blonde raised her eyebrow in question of the chuckling, but this only served to add fuel to the fire.

“What’s so funny?” Tara asked, looking around the room to see if she had missed something.

“You.” Willow said simply.

A smile tugged at the blonde’s lips as she was baffled by the response.

“You were concentrated so hard I thought you were going to bite your tongue off.” The redhead explained, referring to the involuntary action Tara often did whilst concentrating. “Plus you had this crease between your eyebrows that looked as if it was going to be made permanent, I thought I’d better rescues your pretty face from such treatment.” The redhead noticed the immediate blush of Tara’s cheeks and she smiled softly.

“Well what about you? You were snoring so hard I thought you were going to suck up the furniture.”

Willow gasped in mock outrage, “That you would make fun of a hospital patient is disappointing Tara. What were you doing anyway?”

Looking at the pad still resting on her lap Tara wondered just how much she should say, Willow didn’t know Tara was a lesbian and if she told the redhead she was in the midst of writing a lesbian novel of which a woman that was described to look suspiciously like her was the main character, she was pretty sure that wouldn’t go down well with her new friend.

“I was writing, I’m a writer.” Tara gave a minimalist response hoping that would be enough.

Willow studied the blonde’s face noticing the crease between Tara’s eyebrows had returned and that piqued her curiosity to probe a little.

“Do you have any books published? What are they called? What kind of stories do you write? Can I read one?..... Are you going to answer?”

Tara let out a hearty laugh at the barge of questions that had been directed at her from the very impatient redhead and she shook her head lightly deciding to answer the questions in the order of which they had been presented. “I have one book published and it’s called ‘From Hell To Heaven’ it’s a romance story of a different kind, I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t be your thing.... I think I answered all your questions.”

Indeed, Tara had answered all of Willow’s questions, but also she had managed to create a whole set of new ones that were about to spill out into another question-fest before Nurse Carmichael entered the room followed by a woman in a white coat looking suspiciously like a doctor.

Sad that she had to leave the presence of her new friend, but also glad from the reprieve of what she knew would be another load of questions that would make her uncomfortable, Tara packed her pen and writing pad in the bag she almost always carried with her and gently grasped Willow’s had giving it a soft squeeze.

“I’ll be back tomorrow, is that ok?”

“Absolutely.” The redhead’s smile was somewhat subdued by her obvious tiredness, but it showed clearly that she was looking forward to the visit.

Tara pressed the button for the coffee machine to give her the much needed caffeine her tired body needed after spending half the night reading, readjusting then rereading what she had written. When she had finally gotten herself into bed it took her a long while to give in to sleep and even then she awoke a mare three hours later as restless as ever.

The last few days Tara had fell into a routine, she would go to Willow’s house around noon to spend some time with Lightening, the energetic bundle of fun always provided much amusement with its acrobatic dangling from the bars of it’s cage then she would either go home for lunch or pick something up on the way to the hospital. She had even sneaked in some chocolate muffins, much to the delight of the redhead whose energy levels were rising and she was beginning to get restless. They had spent hours just talking about nothing in particular. Tara learned that Willow was the head of an electronic gaming company, which was probably going to pot while she was pinned to the bed by two casts that weighed almost as much as she did. Tara had also learned that Willow had the tendency to over exaggerate; she didn’t express that though, of course.

Making her way through the now familiar halls of the hospital, the blonde pushed open the door to Willow’s room and stopped dead when she saw the bed was empty.

Her heart began to race and she backed up, feeling the panic starting to rise within her. She almost jumped a mile when a firm hand gripped her shoulder.

“Hey sorry, I didn’t mean to startle you.” Nurse Carmichael apologised sympathetically at having almost given the young woman a heart attack. “You’re ‘sister’ told me to give this to you.” The nurse winked as she said the word ‘sister’ and imitated quotations marks with a chuckle then handed a piece of paper to Tara who’s face was beginning to gain back it’s colour after the initial shock of Willow not being in her room.

“T-thank you.” The blonde managed to splutter out whilst opening the folded paper and reading in neat joined handwriting the message that had been written specifically to her.

‘Tara, the doctor said I could go home. I’m staying at my parents house the address is 72-74 Monroe Avenue. Please come visit me.

Yours, Willow’

Without any hesitation, Tara walked briskly down the hall she had just come from, stopped off to get something she knew Willow would appreciate and to the address her new friend had provided for her.

Before she knew, Tara was stood in front of white large house down the wide street, trees strewn one the very edge of the sidewalk gave it an old feel, the houses, although very large, looked very cosy and Tara appreciated that this was the kind of place she would like to live if she ever became more successful with her writing.

Tara smiled politely at a middle-aged man walking his dog and proceeded down the driveway of the Rosenberg home, she loved the look of the well-maintained house and inspected a plaque next to the large, shiny red door. It was oval shape, painted black; the numbers were white with two little yellow hands either side and had clearly been made by a very artistic child.

Before she could press the little round button for the doorbell to ring, the door flew open to a very agitated Mrs Rosenberg. Her face was flushed as if she had been hurrying around and she blew a stray lock of her out of her face, her hand on her hip, looking very intimidating.

“Finally.” The older woman exclaimed grabbing Tara firmly by the arm, “That daughter of mine is driving me to my very limits. Do this, pass me that, get me a drink, pass me the bedpan.” Mrs Rosenberg continued to rant whilst tugging the blonde along the halls until they came to an abrupt stop outside a door. “Of course her farther had the right idea when he ran out of the house this morning to play golf, I love Willow with all my heart, but if I catch her trying to stick a knitting needle down her cast to have a good itch one more time I’m carting her off back to the hospital.” With that the older woman turned on her heels and made a break for it, no doubt barricading herself in the basement for a bit of peace and quiet.

Tara had no idea whether to laugh or cry, Mrs Rosenberg had taken her completely by surprise and the blonde had been in a state of shock from the front door all the way to the room Willow was resting in, but the image of Willow being given a good telling off was too comical.

Letting out a hearty laugh the blonde stood there for a few moments until she managed to get herself under control, then opened the door slowly in case it creaked, she didn’t want to wake the redhead if she was sleeping.

Willow was propped up in bed; her eyes riveted on the TV, but with a very prominent pout gracing her lips. The blonde spoke softly so she didn’t startle Willow and she was rewarded with a huge smile that wrapped itself right around her heart.

Tara let out an exasperated sigh, feeling something inappropriate for this vulnerable woman was something she couldn’t allow herself to do, no matter how endearing she was.

“Are you ok, Tara?” The redhead asked recognising the line between Tara’s brow to be the blonde’s ‘thinking face’ and patted the bed beside her with her uninjured hand for Tara to sit.

The blonde saw the chair beside the bed and looked at the space Willow had patted, but immediately put any questions out of her head about whether this was a purposeful move.

Instead she sat in the space offered and smiled at the green eyes that were impatiently waiting for her to answer.

“I’m fine now I’m here. I was worried when I got to the hospital and you weren't there.”

Willow nodded her understanding, as she too had been worried that Tara would worry. “I tried to make my parents wait until you got there because you said you were coming to visit, but my mother was to impatient and told me to leave a note. That woman can’t wait for anything.”

The blonde let out a little chuckle wondering if Willow knew that she was just as impatient as her mother, many times the redhead had pushed the buzzer in hospital then sat there fidgeting mercilessly and muttering unintelligible words until a nurse finally came.

Willow gasped at the raised eyebrow that let her know exactly what Tara was thinking and she playfully swatted the blonde’s thigh.

“I am in no way as impatient as my mother is; we’ll leave it at that.” The redhead tried to sound convincing knowing full well that she didn’t possess the ability to wait.

“Do I smell chocolate?” She said trying to change the subject.

Letting it slide knowing that her point was made the blonde handed Willow the bag of muffins and stood to remove her bag and coat.

Continued Next Wednesday.... (runs off to watch the L Word)

Post subject: Looong update
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:15 pm 
Wow Auburn, I finally got through this wonderful, long update. So many things happened that my mind is a little scattered.

Tara is just the most amazing creature, isn't she? It's a shame she's afraid to let Willow know more about her book that was published, because I've read it and I really think Willow would like it too. ;)

Some relief anyway, Tara getting a hold of her parents and work and friends and YAY for Willow finally getting well enough to be let out. But I have a feeling she'll be driving Sheila even battier (is that a word?) before too long. This should be really good. Can't wait to see what you have for us next. Just give me time to give my eyes a rest.

Great job!

Wimpy

"There was plenty of magic." ~ Tara

Post subject: Re: Looong update
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:36 pm 
Quote:
"I love Willow with all my heart, but if I catch her trying to stick a knitting needle down her cast to have a good itch one more time I’m carting her off back to the hospital.”

Hee! I loved this line.

Great update. I'm really liking this story. Can't wait to read more.

She danced as they say in that song - like a wave on the ocean.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:38 pm 
So yes it was a looooong update which is good cause i needed it :clap

So I loved the bit about the title of her book it was unexpected in a total obvious way.

so next wednesday huh at least your consistent we the readers don't have anyone to blame but ourselves if we happen to :gnome in frustration so no liability for you :p

Post subject: Re: Spark To A Flame
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:21 pm 
This just keeps getting better :clap ! You can't help but love how Tara has been taking care of Willow, so glad that Willow left the note...I don't want her getting away from Tara.

I'm betting Willows gonna check out the book Tara wrote...lesbian romance novels...Go Tara :D .

Great job :bow .

behindhereyes

Kim

"To the world, you may be one person; but to one person, you may be the world"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:53 pm 
I really enjoyed the update, a lot sadless than the other update. I can already feel the spark between our girls, Tara is so caring!! I like the story so far, can't wait for more!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:49 pm 
The sparks continue to fly between our ladies. Tara is such a nurturer. :luv

Tara: My heart doesn't stutter.

Tara: Willow, I got so lost.

Willow: I found you. I will always find you.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:29 pm 
This is just an awesome story. I can't wait to see how this relationship progresses. I hope that Tara allows herself to open up to Willow soon so that she doesn't slip through her fingers.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:25 pm 
Oh man, I don't even know what to say.. where to start.. oh man it was just an incredible update..

I uh.. hmm *thinks* I of course liked the meeting.. well at least the conscious meeting haha. I like how your characters are true to the show characters, cuz personally, thats kinda how I fell in love with them, and I just like reading them true to the actual Willow and Tara, so that's one aspect that I love about this story.

Also, I caught that Tara likes to spend Christmas with her mom and older brother.. assuming that's Donny..? Which is cool because yay for him being a liked character lol. Also Sheila and her dad seeming to be more like real parents than in reality, but at the same time still all with the traveling and stuff.. I dont really know how to feel about them yet. haha

Oh dear, I totally just went brain-dead, I'm SO uberly tired.. spent all day writing a major paper for English and I gotta make an A.. and had class later in the evening and I'm pooped, so I'm gonna head to bed, but it was a really great update and I hope to read more soon!

Ashleigh

"...A-and I'm gonna make it up to you. Starting right now."

(Starts to smile)"Right now?"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:12 am 
I just found this fic and all I can say is that I love it! I like your portrayal of Sheila a lot, I never really thought of her as a cold bitch, more of an absent-minded kind of person... huh, I don't know really how parallel this runs but I suppose I could just say that I like this and leave it at that?

It's insulting to the whole gender[sic] of rap.

~Eminem

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:14 am 
Great update :read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 378 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next