The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 810 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: What an amazing story!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:10 pm 
babyblue: Thanks :) I know exactly how you feel, from both sides - I've read long stories I didn't want to end, and frankly, I don't really want to finish writing this one :) But every story should finish in its proper place, and we're just two chapters away from the end of this one. I'm going to miss it :) But don't despair, there'll be more stories with this incarnation of Willow and Tara - I've got at least three short stories planned, plus the gigantic sequel, though I'm afraid that'll be a while coming.

If you do want to read other stuff I've written, a lot of it is on Pens (presumably in the archive by now), and on my site Through the Looking-glass: alia.customer.netspace.net.au/glass.htm. There's also similarly alternate-setting Willow/Tara stories from a bunch of other writers there, many from Pens, but some I think will be new.

I'm very pleased you found the story balanced. It's something I spend a lot of time fretting about, mainly because I have a very haphazard approach to all this - I don't plan chapters according to emotional highs and lows, or deliberately divide the time between plot and character, and so on. I just wing it, based on a rough idea of what's going to happen next, and hope that it turns out okay :) It's made this a rewarding and nerve-wracking experience.

sabina: Thank you :) Much sympathy for your PC troubles - I've had my share with my faithful old machine. But so long as Word, Photoshop and my ISP all work, I'm happy - not a very demanding user :) And new Artifact you say? That's the best news I've had all week :)

It's a bit difficult for me to recall exactly what I was thinking when I was writing chapter one - just over a year ago now - but I'm fairly sure I hadn't intended Ember to show up again after that. But she just sounded like so much fun, when Willow kept talking about her, and I realised bringing her in at the end tied up a bunch of things I'd been wondering about. So here she is :) Solari, unfortunately, won't be in Hellebore - she's another one who got more interesting to me the more she was talked about - but the good news is that one of the short stories I've got in mind will feature Willow and Tara travelling to the Amazon Isles, and Solari will definitely be in that one. The others are a piece of smutty fun I've had in mind for a while now, and one where the girls visit Willow's home, which she last saw at the age of seven, and meeting her parents.

Post subject: FIC: Hellebore (chapter 66)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:12 pm 
Hellebore

Author: Chris Cook

Rating: NC-17

Summary: A headstrong sorceress and a young Amazon join forces to locate and destroy an ancient source of demonic power.

Spoilers: None.

Copyright: Based on characters from 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer', created by Joss Whedon and his talented minionators, and 'Diablo II' by Blizzard Entertainment. All original material is copyright 2004 Chris Cook.

--

Chapter Sixty-Six

--

Willow woke to find the sun already streaming in through the cabin's porthole, high in the sky outside. 'Huh... overslept,' she thought with a sly grin. Then her grin widened into a content smile as she remembered the fragments of dreams that she could call to mind - vague images, shapes in shadow... She leaned her head down to Tara's, resting peacefully on her chest, and gave her a soft kiss on her forehead before tilting her head so that her cheek rested against Tara's hair.

'Thank you, love,' she mused silently, 'they would've been nightmares but for you.' She accepted with a rueful grin that, thanks to their journey and the battles they had fought, they were both due some nightmares for a while, until they could put everything behind them. She offered a prayer that Tara had found as much comfort and security during the night in her embrace as she had in Tara's, if her dreams had been troubled.

At the same time though, she realised with a pleasant start that the last couple of nights had been different, in a way that was difficult to describe. For a long time her nightmares had been disturbing, difficult to cope with, such that she had fallen into the habit of doing her best to banish their memory from her mind on waking, rather than simply dismissing them as bad dreams. 'Since Entsteig,' she thought, 'that makes sense...' Disturbed dreams had been no surprise then, for her or for Ember, who most often was the one who had comforted her in the immediate aftermath, when she would wake up in the middle of the night with a hysterical scream. Of course her mind would try to deal with the terror it had seen as best it could... it was only now, with the benefit of hindsight, that Willow realised the dreams hadn't faded as they should have.

'Because she was still in there,' she thought with a mild frown of disgust. Ironically, her most recent bad dreams cheered her - they were just dreams, no more. In time they would fade, and simply be part of her life and memory. She felt as if a weight had lifted from her, just as she had the day before, when Ember had given her assurance that Shadai was gone, that her ordeal was over.

'Good riddance,' she thought, chuckling softly to herself.

Tara stirred, and Willow automatically stroked her hair, soothing her. Despite that, or perhaps because of it, she eventually lifted her head and looked at Willow, blinking slowly in the sunlight.

"Hey," she murmured sleepily.

"Hey yourself," Willow smiled. "Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you."

"S'alright," Tara shrugged, "gotta get up sooner or later." She yawned, and looked around. "We slept in?"

"You're surprised?" Willow asked slyly. "After last night?"

"Well, when you put it that way," Tara grinned, sliding up beside Willow and resting her head on the pillow beside her, nuzzling in her tangled hair. "I feel like I've slept forever," she sighed happily, her words making Willow shiver as her breathing brushed against her ear.

"I don't think we slept *quite* forever," Willow said, reaching her arms around Tara's waist and squeezing lightly. "I mean, I can hear the crew out on the deck... unless they're descendants of the original crew, or something... even so, we'd only have slept for several generations, not actually forever..."

"You're entirely too coherent for this early in the morning," Tara protested with a gentle laugh.

"I thought we'd established it's late in the morning, sleepyhead?" Willow teased. Tara chuckled, her hands sliding slowly along the length of Willow's body. Willow sighed happily, and was completely unprepared when Tara's fingers began tickling her mercilessly.

"Ah! You... sneaky... Amazon..." she gasped, wriggling in Tara's embrace and doing her best to repay the assault in kind, while at the same time trying to keep her sides shielded from Tara's fingers. Somehow, Tara always seemed to slip by her defences, and her body was always at just the wrong angle to be vulnerable.

"Okay, okay!" she squealed eventually, giggling uncontrollably, "I give up..." Tara lay down atop her, pressing light kisses up and down her neck and over her shoulder as she caught her breath. "You're terrible, you know that?"

"You love it," Tara murmured, licking her way up Willow's neck.

"You got me," Willow admitted, "I do indeed... one day, though," she said warningly.

"One day?" Tara asked, nuzzling her cheek.

"One day," Willow repeated, "I'm going to get the drop on you, and then, my pretty Amazon, I'll have my revenge for every single tickle you've ever given me."

"Oh yeah?" Tara chuckled. "Well, it'll be fun watching you try..."

"Oh, you don't think I can tickle you?" Willow challenged, running a fingertip up Tara's back, drawing a shiver from her.

"Impossible," she replied. "No matter what you do, I'll just-" she undulated her hips invitingly "-wriggle my way free."

"Wriggling won't save you," Willow shot back, stealing a kiss on Tara's lips as she smiled.

"Oh yes it will," she grinned, "you wouldn't *believe* how I can wriggle... watch this." Pulling back the covers of the cramped bunk she slid off and stood beside it, while Willow sat up and crossed her legs beneath her.

"Warrior training," Tara explained, stretching up on her toes, touching the cabin ceiling above her with outstretched arms, "for fighting in the treetops - flexibility is very important."

She stood right in front of Willow, gave her a wink, then bent gracefully backwards until her palms were flat on the deck, her toned body curved like an arch. She craned her neck back further, so that she could look back at Willow from between her legs.

"Are you paying attention," she asked with a grin, "or just taking the chance to ogle me?"

"There's some rule that I can't do both?" she replied. In truth, Tara's position had immediately brought to mind any number of interesting fantasies, and Willow soaked up the sight of her body arched over, her smooth skin warmed by the sunlight falling across it, the curves of her torso and limbs - and the tempting shine of moisture at the apex of her thighs, showing that Willow wasn't the only one feeling stimulated after their bout of tickling.

Tara laughed and, with a quick push from her toes, sent her legs reaching up above her. Standing on her elbows, with her hands resting casually on the deck before her, there was just enough room to accommodate her in the cabin. She stretched a little, and touched her toes to the ceiling.

"Wow," Willow said earnestly, getting off the bunk and walking around in front of Tara, who looked up at her with a wide smile. "I didn't know you could do that."

"There's all sorts of things I can do," Tara said, with a tilt of her head that, upside-down, Willow couldn't help grinning at.

"I bet," she nodded.

"Just think of all the fun you can have finding out," Tara purred.

"How long can you stay like that?" Willow wondered.

"Oh, a few minutes. More than that and the blood rushes to my head big time, and it feels weird coming back down... but for a few minutes, it's fine..." She let her left leg down until it was stretched out sideways, horizontal, then swung it around to Willow's side and hooked her lower leg around her waist.

"Still think you can out-wriggle me?" she grinned seductively. With a gentle tug from her, Willow knelt down and ran her hands down Tara's inverted back.

"I'm not sure I can think anything right now," she breathed.

"Oh, I think you're thinking one thing very, very strongly," Tara murmured. She craned her head forward, reaching as Willow spread her knees wider, shifting her hips forward, her centre tantalisingly close. Her other leg also lowered, bending around behind Willow's shoulders as she leant forward, entranced by the sight of Tara's glistening folds waiting for her. It was like some strange dream, Willow mused as the scent of Tara's arousal reached her, a blissful escape from reality...

"Oh my gods you're sexy," she whispered, yearning to lean forward the final fraction, yet holding herself in check, drawing out the moment.

"You make me sexy," Tara replied in a hushed voice, "the way you stare at me, what I see in your eyes..." Her legs tightened their embrace just a fraction. "Let me taste you, my lover... my Willow..."

So rapt in Tara was Willow, that she had no idea for a moment what the intruding sound was when it reached her ears. Then she realised someone was knocking at the cabin door.

"Damn!" she whispered, leaning back. Tara's legs released her, and somehow, in the half-metre of floor between herself and the bunk, she managed to roll backwards and end up crouching right way up, tossing her head back to get her hair out of her eyes. Willow licked her lips at the sight of her - 'like a big cat on the prowl,' she thought - before another knock at the door drew her out of her distraction.

"Just a minute!" she called, getting to her feet as Tara quickly ducked back into the bunk and pulled the covers over herself. "Whoever you are, this had better be good," Willow muttered to herself, reaching for the door handle.

"Willow!" Tara whispered insistently. Willow turned.

"What?"

"Clothes?"

"Wha? Oh." Grinning sheepishly, she crossed to the closet and pulled on a long, warm robe she found hanging inside. She pulled the front tightly closed and tied the sash firmly, glancing down to confirm that she was very respectably covered, then crossed the cabin again and opened the door.

"Hi," Ember said brightly, "I'm not interrupting, am I?"

"You don't have to be so cheerful about it," Willow complained, though she couldn't keep a grin from tugging at her lips. "Um, come in, or-"

"Ah, no need," Ember replied, glancing over Willow's shoulder, to see Tara peering around the bunk's headboard, with the blankets drawn tightly over her shoulders. "I just thought you'd like these," she offered Willow a cloth-wrapped bundle, "we brought spare outfits, these should fit you... seeing as you've been in the same clothes for a while now, I thought you'd like a change?"

"A change- oh!" Willow exclaimed, unwrapping the bundle to reveal, folded up, Zann Esu travelling clothes. "Thanks," she smiled, "yeah, I guess washing the clothes is in order... don't want my battlegear to get dirty, after all... there's a few spots of ghoul ichor that need to be washed out too."

"Have them sent up to the Palace," Ember said, "they'll take care of it. I'll see you when you're ready?"

"Okay, thanks," Willow smiled again, closing the door and leaning against it. Tara got up again and padded over to her, leaning on the door beside her and snaking an arm around her waist.

"Oh gods, I nearly answered the door naked," Willow murmured, "she'd never have let me live it down..." Tara nodded and laughed to herself.

"I can just imagine the teasing I'd get from Solari if she ever found out what I've been doing with her flexibility conditioning," she offered, at which it was Willow's turn to laugh.

"What've you got there?" Tara asked, poking the bundle still held in Willow's hands.

"Oh, travelling clothes," she replied, "Ember figured we could use a change... send them to the Palace?" she went on to herself. "I guess we must be getting back to the city sometime today."

"It'll be good to stay in our room again," Tara said idly.

"Yeah... big bed," Willow agreed.

"Bath," Tara mused, "shower... hot meals... laundry service..."

"I don't think we're cut out for adventuring," Willow grinned. "Demons we can handle, but a few days without our creature comforts and we go to pieces. I think staying in the Palace is spoiling us."

"Probably," Tara nodded.

"Lucky us," Willow said, nudging Tara in the side.

"Absolutely," she agreed with a smile. A sound from outside caught her attention and she cocked her head, listening to the occasional calls from the deckhands, and the occasional murmur of conversation carried on the wind.

"Is it just me," she frowned, "or are there a *lot* of people out there for one boat?" Willow listened, frowned in thought, then went to the porthole and undid its latch, standing up on tip-toes to peer down out of it.

"We're back!" she said, turning to Tara. "Duncraig, we're here!"

"Already?" Tara asked, taking a look for herself. Directly beneath them a freight barge was taking on cargo, and beyond that the docks of the city bustled with their morning activity. With the porthole open, they could even hear the cries of the stevedores and cargo-haulers, the raised voices of merchants haggling prices, street vendors hawking their wares-

"You know sooner or later all that hubbub is going to start getting on my nerves and I'll go find somewhere quiet to relax," Willow said, "but right now, that's music to my ears."

-----

Tara felt strangely underdressed somehow, despite the fact that the Zann Esu travelling clothes she and Willow wore covered them from their modest necklines downwards. It was that the material was so *thin*, she decided - she hadn't really noticed when she had felt the cloth before, when Willow had been the one wearing it, but now that she was walking around clothed in it, it felt like nightwear.

It was strong fabric though, and she did have to admit that, if she got used to the lightness of it, the clothes were remarkably comfortable. They were dark green, a muted version of the colour of Willow's battlegear, with dark edges that caught the light easily, revealing subtle blue and light green hues. The trousers were somewhat loose around her legs, which Willow had explained was the style in Kurast and Aranoch, where tight clothes became stifling in the heat, but tightly secured by the sash at their waist, and tucked into her boots. The tunic was of the same strong, light material - a slightly different cut to the Zann Esu clothing Tara had seen in Willow's wardrobe so far, with a fold-over front buttoned down the left side, and loose sleeves that bunched around her wrists, held there by tiny cords woven into the ends of the sleeves and tied off. Willow wore a matching outfit, though she also wore the long robe, which Tara had decided against for herself.

"Sure you don't want the robe?" Willow asked again when they were making their way down one of the Dauntless's gangplanks towards the dock, bustling with soldiers and army-employed labourers, loading provisions onto a riverboat with a large paddle-wheel at its stern. A quick, chilly breeze was whipping around the exposed dock, and Tara glanced around, over the heads of the crowd from her position half-way down the gangplank, and noted a general tendency towards heavy coats and cloaks among the people going about their business on the roads beyond the dockland warehouses.

"Winter's starting to set in," she said idly. "No, I'll be okay," she gave Willow a quick smile and brushed her hand over her arm, "we won't be outdoors long. And this isn't really any colder than it gets back home, just earlier in the season. Normally this would just be the couple of weeks around the solstice."

"Lucky Amazons," Willow said, drawing her robe a little tighter around herself, "practically a year-long summer... you're sure?"

"I'm fine," Tara smiled. Already, descending to the level of the dock, they were out of the worst of the wind, and Tara found she could easily forget the slight bite in the air.

"Milady?" A man in shining banded steel armour called, turning as they walked past. Willow and Tara both turned back, but Tara was the first to recognise him.

"Sergeant?" she said, a smile forming. "They couldn't keep you on the parade ground for long after all?"

"Aye milady, that they couldn't," Sergeant Sheerson replied, removing his helmet and giving both women a courteous bow, hindered slightly by his armour. "Lady Willow, Lady Tara - Kotram monastery, they tell us, is the place the army's needed, and not four days after you yourself set out there - I tell you milady, and you miss," he nodded to Willow, "it's a relief to see you both back and in good health."

"It's a relief to *be* back and in good health," Tara said, getting a bark of laughter from the soldier, "and thank you."

"Thank you," Willow echoed.

"If you're at liberty to say, milady," the sergeant went on after acknowledging their thanks with another bow, "there's all sorts of rumours flying about what's awaiting... they say demons and evil magic-workers and all manner of wild things, and there's been sorceresses at the Palace, and the Duke's mage coming in from the north with warnings of danger..."

"So far as I know," Tara said, "it's over and done with... the danger, I mean. It was a demon, a dangerous one... we managed to stop it in time, before it became more powerful. Willow was too strong for it-"

"Hey, don't leave yourself out! She," she added, talking to the sergeant, "stood face to face with this nightmare of a demon, and fought it-"

"And with your magic," Tara pointed out, "we banished it..." She caught Willow's hand and gave her a smile, then turned her attention back to Sheerson.

"Do I understand you right milady?" he asked, frowning in confusion. "You two, on your own, went into the lion's den and destroyed a demon that's had every mage and commander in the city panicking?"

"Um..." Tara hesitated, "well... yes, I guess... don't go telling everyone though," she added.

"My god in the heavens," Sheerson shook his head in disbelief, "are ye both off to the Palace now?"

"Actually, I have to see my superiors - the Zann Esu," Willow explained, "they need to know what happened out there, what we did-"

"I'm going with her," Tara said. Sheerson stared blankly for a moment, then laughed abruptly.

"Ah, isn't that just ripe," he said, with jovial scorn, "you ladies save the city from who knows what evil, and they want you to explain yourselves..." Willow and Tara exchanged a glance, then both shrugged.

"My sympathies go with you both," Sheerson said, grinning sadly, "they that deserve the spoils of battle rarely see them... but I'll offer you this, in addition to all the rounds you can drink should you both care to raise a glass with me when this is over - my old man was a soldier in his young days, and when I joined the army he - apologies, milady, it just occurred to me, when you said a few days ago that Miss Willow and you were 'partners'...?"

"Yes," Tara nodded, "in love..." Willow gave Tara's hand an affectionate squeeze, while Sheerson nodded, smiling.

"Aye," he said, "well then, what my old man told me should give you cheer. He said, 'Don't you ever go looking for fortune and glory on the battlefield, my son, because for every man who's given a medal there's ten who fought just as bravely who never make it back from that battlefield. If they give you a medal that's all and good, but you mark my words,' he said, 'the only reward I ever went fighting for was to come back whole, and find your ma waiting for me, and proud of the job I'd done.'"

"Your father's a wise man," Tara said quietly, drawing Willow a little closer and slipping an arm around her waist.

"Aye, that he is," Sheerson nodded, then added with a conspiratorial smile: "but don't tell him I said so, or he'll never let me hear the end of it." He grinned as both women chuckled. "Now, I can't linger," he went on, "whatever's left around Kotram, we'll be joining the scouting force and sending it back to the pit it calls home soon as the riverboat's ready to set sail... but you both mind what my old man said - life ain't always fair to those who do what has to be done, but all this debriefing nonsense'll be over soon enough. There ain't no reward worth more than what you've got right now in any case."

"Thank you sergeant," Tara said warmly, Willow echoing her.

"You're welcome tenfold, miladies," he replied, "and I'll tell you what - when we're sitting 'round the campfire and the scouts give thanks about how there's no monsters out there worth speaking of, I'll make sure they know to thank Lady Tara and Lady Willow for it." With a wink he hefted his pack onto his shoulder and turned, vanishing into the crowd.

"He's right," Tara said to Willow as they made their way to the street, where Ember had promised a carriage would take them to the university, where the Zann Esu had made their temporary home in the city. "You're worth more to me than anything."

"You too," Willow smiled. Then she grinned as a thought struck her. "You know what we should've done? We didn't ride into the sunset."

"Huh?"

"That's all we forgot to do, to get the proper hero treatment, and showered with rewards, and all that - the evil demon's been defeated, the beautiful maiden fell in love with me, but we forgot to ride off into the sunset. Ah well," she gave a quick shrug, "just so long as I've got the beautiful maiden, I'm happy."

"We'll know to ride into the sunset next time," Tara chuckled, "it's no big deal, seeing as I've got a beautiful maiden as well."

"Oh do you?" Willow grinned quirkily, "where is she? Can I see?"

"Look in a mirror, silly," Tara laughed, reaching down to give Willow a discreet pat on the bottom, which just made her giggle.

-----

Willow and Tara delayed their trip for a moment when Willow spotted Anji being led off the Dauntless, and she and Tara spent a moment petting her until her stablehand mounted to ride her back to the barracks. They returned to the carriage, which pulled away from the dock and made its way through the busy streets towards the university. Ember was with them, and thought she seemed a little preoccupied to Tara, she explained what lay ahead.

"The delegation is part of the Council," she said as the carriage rattled along past shops and houses, "three seats of the nine. The Council, as a whole, never leaves our city, but its members do at times, rather than rely on second-hand information. Two of the seats are Council members, fire and ice - those are Sirillia and Cyan," she added to Willow.

"Cyan's on the Council now?" she asked.

"For the past few weeks," Ember nodded, "Nica stood down, her health is starting to fail."

"Oh... I'm sorry," Willow said, crestfallen. Tara sensed there was more attachment to the woman they were speaking of than simply that of sorceresses to one of their superiors. She reached across and held Willow's hand in her lap, stroking its back lightly with her thumb.

"Nica's daughter mentored me," Ember explained, noticing Tara's concern, "and even though she herself was busy with Council matters, she often got involved. She taught me a lot, which I passed on in turn," she gave Willow a smile, "but she's an old woman now, a hundred and fourteen this year... I saw her before I came here, she's happy." Willow nodded in understanding, and Ember then straightened slightly in her seat, her businesslike manner returning.

"The Council is made up of three sets of three," she went on to Tara, "one for each of our three disciplines of magic, and one of each three is an Oracle. They never travel from the city - in place of her, three lightning sorceresses hold a single seat as part of the delegation, representing an Oracle. Their combined powers give them a portion of an Oracle's farsight. Once we reach the university I'll be speaking with them. Lady Tara-"

"Please, just Tara," Tara said with a lop-sided grin.

"Tara," Ember repeated, ducking her head, "if you would, I'd like you to speak with Cyan. She'll ask you about Hellebore, about Willow, possibly anything that's happened since you both met, maybe even about yourself before that. She might ask personal details - you don't have to reveal anything you don't want to, but she'll only ask questions she feels she needs to know the answers to. Anything you tell her will be known only to her, and the Council when she reports, no-one else."

"I understand," Tara nodded, "I'll tell her everything I can."

"You don't have to," Ember prompted gently, "as an Amazon, your word carries almost as much weight with the Zann Esu as one of our own - you've probably never heard of them, but there are ties between your nation and us, at the higher levels. What you and Willow told me yesterday can be presented as a complete report, and no further questions would be asked."

"It's alright," Tara said, giving Willow's hand a reassuring squeeze, "it's best that we do this ourselves."

"I'll report to Sirillia?" Willow asked, keeping hold of Tara's hand.

"Yes," Ember leant back as the carriage turned sharply, entering the university's coach-hall, "you know what to expect. It's possible you'll get Cyan and you," she nodded to Tara, "will get Sirillia, but I think this is how they'll do it - there's a certain predictability to the Council. Once you've reported, though," she paused, and glanced at Tara again before returning her gaze to Willow. "The delegation will discuss amongst themselves what needs to be done now, and then they'll hand down their decision. Until then you'll have to remain in session - we'll have to wait outside," she clarified for Tara.

"I can't be with her?" Tara asked sharply.

"I'm sorry, but no," Ember said, even as Tara saw the same answer in Willow's forlorn expression. "It's not a matter of trust or honour, but this is part of the traditions the Council had followed for hundreds of years. Believe me, if I could argue for you to be present, I would. It'll be alright," she said reassuringly, her gaze covering them both before settling on Willow.

"It'll be alright," she said again, warmly, "what you've done, the choices you've made... I'm very proud of you, Willow." She reached forward and gently took Willow's free hand. "Very proud... I'm sure the delegation will feel likewise for you, as a fellow sorceress."

"Thank you," Willow said in a tiny voice. She cleared her throat. "I'm okay," she went on, "it's just... what they decide, it could-"

"Whatever happens," Ember interrupted, "you and Tara will not be separated." Tara's breath caught, scared for a moment that that could have been a possibility, then eased somewhat by the older sorceress's assurance.

"Are you sure?" Willow asked, tightening her hold on Tara's hand.

"I'm sure," Ember nodded. "The worst that could happen is that they decide you require a sponsor again, to act as a mentor for a while - and if that happens, I promise it'll be me, no matter what the Council wants me to do. They won't force me to choose otherwise. And regardless, the worst *won't* happen. You've had a very difficult road to travel, but you're exceptional, Willow - you both are," she added, glancing at Tara. "They'll recognise that, I promise you."

(Continued in next post)

Post subject: FIC: Hellebore (chapter 66, part 2)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:15 pm 
(Continued from previous post)

The university had no buildings of note entirely separate from the rest of its structure - each laboratory block or seminar hall or dormitory was built up against its neighbour, with the corridors inside simply winding their way through, honeycombing the entire complex. However the building given over to the Zann Esu managed to be more or less isolated, a sturdy old tower and hall reached through a narrow block of modest lecture theatres, all vacant at present.

The heavy double door to the tower hall was guarded by two soldiers, of a kind Tara had never seen before - tall, broad-shouldered dark-skinned men, their faces as impassive and proud as those of a granite statue. They wore plate armour, ornately decorated but by no means purely ceremonial, and beneath that dark crimson robes woven with gold threat at the hems. Each had a huge two-handed broadsword in a scabbard on his back.

"Ashearae," Willow whispered, as the two guards stood aside at a sign from Ember and opened the doors for them to pass. "The 'Iron Wolves', their brotherhood has been the Council's bodyguard whenever a delegation travels outside the city, for the last twenty years. It's said they're incapable of betraying their oaths to the Council."

Tara nodded, feeling their gazes rest briefly on her as she passed them. Used to assessing potential dangers by the smallest of signs, what she saw and felt from the two soldiers told her that, even among powerful sorceresses, their presence as a guard was no token gesture.

The doors were closed behind them, leaving them alone in a high-ceilinged antechamber lit by thick torches in iron brackets on the walls. Tara had only a moment to glance around, seeing rows of dusty old volumes lining wooden bookcases in recesses in the stone wall, before the doorway opposite opened. Two more of the Ashearae emerged, marching in step, followed by five sorceresses. They all wore robes similar to Willow's, though of a different fabric that shone with deeper, richer colours when the torchlights glinted off them. In shadow all seemed the same dark green, but the light brought out their highlights, one crimson, one pale blue, the remaining three - a little less elaborate in their decoration, and whose wearers stood a pace behind the first two - rich magenta. All five wore their hoods up - approaching Ember, Willow and Tara, the two leaders drew theirs back, while the others remained by the door.

"Ember," the taller sorceress, whose robe had the red highlights, said with polite formality. She was perhaps fifty, and had an aristocratic face, with high cheekbones and a long nose - imposing but quite beautiful, particularly for her age. Her hair was red, but so dark it almost seemed black, and something about her gave Tara the impression that she could be utterly deadly, if she chose. Like the Ashearae, there was just something in her gaze.

"Sirillia," Ember replied, ducking her head. Willow did likewise, and Tara quickly followed suit - the tall sorceress glanced at them, but didn't respond to their presence otherwise.

"We have studied the report you had delivered this morning," she said in a haughty voice, "you understand we have questions we wish to pose."

"I do," Ember said. She took a sideways step and indicated Willow and Tara. "You remember my student, Willow?"

"Indeed," Sirillia nodded implacably.

"Her companion is Lady Tara of the Amazons."

"Lady Tara," the sorceress nodded, "in the best interests of the people of this realm, we wish to understand the events you have been involved in fully. Will you assist us?"

"Yes," Tara replied, managing an even voice in spite of the woman's intimidating, level stare. "Yes, I'll answer any questions I can."

"Cyan will speak with you," Sirillia said, stepping aside for the other leading sorceress. "Willow, come with me. Ember, if you would accompany Metea and her assistants?"

Ember nodded and followed the three purple-robed sorceresses back through the door they had come from. Sirillia turned and followed her. Willow started after her, but turned after one step and quickly leant towards Tara, pressing a kiss to her cheek.

"I love you," she whispered, nervous, though by Tara's guess not unduly so given their company. "I'll see you soon. Don't worry."

"I love you," Tara replied, hoping she sounded reassuring. A brief smile flickered across Willow's face, and after a split-second's hesitation she kissed Tara again, on the lips. Then she pulled back and hurried after Sirillia, who had not turned to find the source of the delay, merely waited at the door.

"This way please," the remaining sorceress said to Tara, indicating a second, smaller door, to an office. Her voice was almost unnaturally melodic, which Tara found comforting, though she couldn't quite decide why - there was a soothing quality to it. She took a moment to study the woman as she closed the door behind them and took her seat at the vacant office desk, with Tara seated opposite. Her motions, like her voice, were fluid and seamless, like a dancer - or an assassin, Tara mused silently. Her features were attractive, if perhaps a little plain, and she wore her sandy blond hair short, like a soldier. As she sat a candelabra perched at the side of the desk flickered to life. Tara remembered Willow mentioning that sorceresses, as they became more experienced, developed the ability to control other elements besides their first. She wondered idly, while the other woman opened a notebook and inkwell and set them to one side, where she had gotten the impression that Cyan was an ice sorceress, like Willow - the pale blue, ice-like highlights to her robes? - then recalled the night in Kingsport castle, when Willow had described her first meeting with Shadai. Cyan had been one of the sorceresses who saved her then, and no doubt the freezing magic Willow described her using was her most powerful discipline.

Cyan began with some unremarkable questions regarding Hellebore and Shadai - the structure of the catacombs, the powers the demon has displayed, at what time various events had occurred, and how long they lasted. Aside from minor, inconsequential details, it was all information that she and Willow had told Ember, and no doubt had then been conveyed to the Zann Esu delegation in her reports. Tara guessed that the sorceress was interested not in her answers, but in the way she gave them. After a few minutes, during which Cyan prompted Tara for such information, and made notes now and then, she pushed her notebook aside and leaned forward, elbows on the desk. Suddenly she seemed more intent, and her passive, polite observation gave way to a more focused scrutiny. Tara raised an eyebrow, wondering what the next question would be.

"Why did you go to Hellebore?" she said abruptly.

"We didn't know you were on your way," Tara said. "The Duke's mage was out of contact, and we didn't know of anyone else here who could help."

"Why were you so sure action had to be taken?" Cyan asked levelly. "Why not wait?"

"We thought there was too great a risk. Willow was sure that Shadai was going to attempt to be summoned again, or at least somehow control whatever was in the catacombs. Ocean, Myrreon's apprentice, saw signs of an immanent threat."

"You must have been aware of the danger then - even without knowing about Hellebore's existence, you knew there was a chance you would face a pureblood demon. Were you so sure you could defeat it?" Tara bit back her instinctive answer, and spoke after a pause.

"No," she said, "I wasn't sure."

"You could have failed?"

"Yes."

"You thought it was worth the risk?" Cyan asked. "To secure the prize from the catacombs? To save the city? For-"

"For Willow," Tara interrupted. "I... we did everything we could to understand what was going on, and to prevent anything going wrong. But even then we didn't know enough. Either way, if we'd gone or if we'd stayed here, there was the possibility that the worst could happen."

"As it tuned out," Cyan suggested carefully, "for the worst to happen, it *required* you to go to Hellebore." Tara swallowed, then nodded.

"Yes," she agreed, "it did. We didn't know." She hesitated. "Do you believe we should have done differently? Your delegation?"

"And if we did," Cyan countered, leaning forward, "what then? You're not one of us, you're an Amazon. How can we pass judgement on you?"

"This is..." Tara paused, choosing her words carefully. "I know only what Willow has told me about the Zann Esu. She believes you're fair, and wise, and I trust her. This situation is... something you understand. I'll accept your judgement."

"You could claim immunity," Cyan pointed out, "as an Amazon, a member of a diplomatic mission, you have that right."

"I could," Tara agreed, "but I knew there could be consequences when I made the choices I did."

"You had little idea what those consequences truly were," Cyan said pointedly.

"I'm not omniscient," Tara said, managing a level stare in the face of Cyan's calm regard, "there's always unforseen consequences. To anything, but... that's just the way the world is."

"Yes, it is," Cyan nodded, leaning back. She reached for her notebook and from between its pages drew a slim grey envelope, which she handed to Tara.

"Open it," she prompted. Tara did so and slid out the page inside, unfolding it. Even before she opened it she felt the unusual weight of gold edging on the parchment - that aside, there was a gold-leaf painted emblem at the head of the page, a circular border formed of three woven strands, which unwound inwards and joined again in the centre. Tara recognised it as the symbol of the Zann Esu, having seen it before on Willow's diadem, and in plain ink on the letters she carried to introduce herself to the various mages she had been sent to study with on her journey.

"...that Tara, warrior of the Amazon Nation," Tara read quickly, "be recognised as a faithful ally of the Zann Esu clan, having proven herself in trial against the enemies of humankind..." she trailed off, reading silently. The document was signed in five hands, and two crimson wax seals were imprinted below - Tara glanced up, and saw a signet ring on Cyan's left hand that matched one of the seals.

"Few outsiders are permitted within our walls," Cyan said, while Tara could only stare mutely, "but you are now one of them. You have the Council's leave to enter our city as a sorceress would, study such manuscripts in our possession as are not kept sealed and so on... and of course, associate as you please with any member of our clan," she added, not quite concealing a smile.

"Th-this..." Tara began, aware she was blushing enormously.

"The leader of your mission should be here soon," Cyan went on, "a message was sent requesting his presence, the Ashearae have been instructed to allow him in. A copy of your letter will be made for him later today, to return to your Queen." She stood up, and gestured for Tara to follow - as she did, the candelabra's tiny flames vanished.

"Our deliberations and discussion with Willow may take some time," she said, opening the door for Tara, "you may wait here for her. This room is at your disposal should you and your diplomat wish to speak privately, and food and drink will be brought here by lunchtime. Ah, this must be him." Tryptin was waiting in the antechamber, and hurried over when he saw Tara emerge from the office, with Cyan behind her.

"Tara? Ma'am," he added courteously, but questioningly, to the sorceress.

"Sir," Cyan acknowledged him. "Please excuse me, I must join my colleague. Lady Tara, our thanks." With a quick but sincere bow she turned and disappeared through the main door, where Ember, Willow and the other sorceresses had gone.

"It's good to see you," Tara said, trying to gather her wits. Tryptin, who had been staring after Cyan, regarded her for a moment, then stepped forward and gave her a gentlemanly hug.

"You too," he said earnestly. He stood back and followed Tara's gesture back into the office she and Cyan had spoken in.

"I got the letter you left for me," he began, "a messenger arrived just in time for me to return as the Duke's mage was riding in from the north, and I spoke to him, his apprentice and assistant, several Deans here, officers from the army... what happened? No, first - are you alright?"

"Yes," Tara quickly assured him.

"Is Miss Willow alright?"

"Yes, she's fine."

"Good." Tryptin sat back and let out a sigh. "Well then... what happened?"

-----

Tara told the tale as best she could, starting from her and Willow's departure from the city and ending with her conversation with Cyan, omitting nothing in between. If Ember the day before had been a reserved audience when Willow had been the one doing the telling, Tryptin was the opposite - the tension in his shoulders was obvious as she described their approach to the entrance to the catacombs and their descent through the tunnels, and he exclaimed frequently, in dismay at the ghouls and their master, relief at her and Willow's defeat of them, shock at the formation of the tower, stunned horror as she described Shadai. By the time Tara was done, Tryptin sat wide-eyed and immobile.

"Gods and goddesses," he murmured after the moment it seemed to take him to find his voice. "The... the creature, was inside Miss Willow? She's alright, you said?"

"Fine," Tara reassured him. "She wasn't hurt, and otherwise... we're dealing with it as best we can. She's coping... she's very strong."

"She's not the only one," Tryptin noted.

"I'm sorry I couldn't speak with you directly before we left," Tara said, changing the subject to avoid the blush creeping back over her cheeks. After the businesslike manner in which they were received the day before, Cyan's letter recognising her as a Zann Esu ally and now Tryptin's awed regard came as a bit of a shock, albeit not an unpleasant one.

"No, you did right," Tryptin said quickly, "if I'd known, I- well, I'd have been concerned for your safety of course, both of you, but I can't say I'd have tried to convince you not to go. Not that I'd have had the authority, in any case."

"How come?" Tara asked. Tryptin gave a short laugh.

"I'm no strategist," he chuckled, "at least, my style of 'battle' wouldn't be any use against the enemies you were facing - we both know, after all this, how much good it does trying to do deals with demons. As a military matter, you can only be responsible to a superior warrior, not a diplomat, so you see you haven't acted outside your authority at all. In lieu of being able to receive orders from Solari in any sort of timely fashion out here, you're your own mistress as a warrior."

"I hadn't realised," Tara said, with a small grin.

"And Miss Willow is being judged by her Council?" Tryptin went on. "They must find in her favour, surely? You've achieved an incredible victory together."

"I-I think they will," Tara offered, smiling bashfully. "But they have to go through the motions... it'll just take a little while."

"I can stay with you while you wait," Tryptin offered. Tara smiled gratefully at him.

"You must be busy though," she pointed out. "And now that you know what happened, it'd be best if you worked with the Duke's people right away, wouldn't it?" Tryptin looked uncomfortable for a moment, then gave a wry smile.

"Yes," he admitted, "that would be the most advantageous course to take... but I can stay here if you want."

Tara shook her head, and again gave him a grateful smile.

"I'll be alright," she insisted, "she'll be through it all soon. After everything else, waiting a little while isn't so difficult."

"Being apart from her doesn't bother you?" Tryptin asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Okay," Tara admitted sheepishly, "it's incredibly difficult." Her grin faded. "I wish I were in there with her. Even if it made no difference..."

"It'd make a difference to you, and to her," Tryptin offered. Tara nodded sadly.

"But you've got work to do," she said, taking a deep breath, "I don't want to keep you from it, and I will be alright, I promise."

"Alright then," Tryptin conceded with a reluctant sigh. He rose from his chair, as did Tara, and they returned to the antechamber. Tryptin hesitated, and turned to Tara, opening his mouth to speak.

"Go," she smiled. He grinned too, and shrugged helplessly.

"When she's finished with the delegation-" he began.

"We'll come straight to the Palace," Tara finished. He nodded, clasped her hand warmly, then hurried off through the double doors. Tara gazed for a moment at the other set of doors, then took a seat on one of the benches at either side of the room, resting her spear up against the wall. She smoothed the loose fabric of her outfit over her legs and leant forward on her elbows, looking around idly.

After a few minutes the doors opened and Tara straightened, but only Ember emerged before they closed again. She saw Tara sitting at the side of the room, and walked over to her.

"May I?" she asked. Tara nodded and stood.

"No need to stand on ceremony," Ember said as she sat down, waving for Tara to do likewise. She leant her staff against the wall, mirroring Tara's spear, and sat with a slim iron-bound wooden case she had carried across her lap. "I'm sorry this has all been so... well, tiring. You and Willow both deserve time to relax." She paused thoughtfully, and added: "you deserve far more, in fact."

"I understand why it had to be this way," Tara said quietly. "What we did was very dangerous-"

"Far less than inaction would have been," Ember said with certainty. "When faced with such threats, sometimes the only way to prevail is to meet them head-on - the most dangerous course of action, to all appearances. Hesitating is sometimes not an option..." She trailed off, then turned to Tara.

"I'm sorry to ask out of the blue," she said apologetically, "but it's been on my mind... your spear..."

"Silverstrike," Tara offered, "it's very old, very powerful."

"How did you come by it?" Ember asked, seeming a little reluctant to broach the subject.

"It belongs to my weapons instructor, Solari," Tara explained, "it's a ceremonial blade, only to be carried by women in battle, and her children are boys. She lent it to me, for this mission."

"Ah," Ember nodded. "She has children now?"

"Adopted," Tara clarified, "orphans, from a battle on the mainland sixteen years or so ago... did you know her?"

"We travelled in company once," Ember said, "for a short while... a memorable time. Long ago, anyway. She's well?"

"Oh yes," Tara nodded, "she's regarded as one of our finest warriors, an excellent instructor..." She glanced at Ember, who seemed absorbed in thought, and grinned slightly. "...still carries on like a teenager now and then..." Ember laughed abruptly.

"That's good to know," she chuckled. "That's a very powerful weapon she's given you, unique in more than just its design. You're very fortunate to have it... and from what I understand of your culture, I think it'd be considered fortunate as well."

Tara ducked her head in acknowledgement of the high compliment - a ceremonial weapon like Silverstrike would be considered 'fortunate' if it was wielded by a warrior who was its equal in prowess and potency. If Ember truly knew the intricacies of Amazon ceremonial weaponry, and the regard Silverstrike was held in - and Tara had a feeling that she knew both better than she was letting on - she could not have spoken more highly of her as a warrior.

"How long do you expect the deliberations to be?" she asked after a moment's silence. Ember leaned back against the wall and shrugged.

"Well, it's up to the delegation of course... I think, not as long as you might expect." She gave Tara a conspiratorial wink. "I've got into the habit of reading the mood of the Council. It makes life much easier when you know what they're going to decide, without having to wait for them to tell you." Tara smiled, then grew serious.

"Do you know... perhaps, what they'll decide for Willow?"

"It's a complicated situation," the sorceress mused, "if the delegation decides to be complicated about it... personally, I think it comes down to a simple question - has Willow behaved in the way that we, as her elders, would have wished her to behave? If that's how the delegation approaches the matter, then I can't see there being any doubt as to the outcome - she is an excellent example of the kind of mage the Zann Esu have been working for centuries to produce." Tara smiled at the praise for Willow, then frowned as a thought occurred to her.

"*Will* they approach it that way?" she asked.

"They should," Ember replied, leaning forward and talking animatedly, "I've certainly made it plain enough in the report I wrote, and just now to Metea. They wouldn't like me to say this to you - even if you are nearly one of 'us' now," she added, gesturing to the envelope still in Tara's hand, "but frankly, if they don't find in Willow's favour, they're damned fools. And I'll see to it they change their minds."

"You've got some influence with them," Tara guessed. Ember waved a hand vaguely.

"More like they owe me a favour," she said. "I killed a couple of demons that were troubling them once." She winked again, then settled back again. "Tell me, though... I know it probably seems mundane, after all this, but how's Willow been? I don't mean while you were busy fighting pureblood demons, just in general..."

"Learning everything she can," Tara said, picking the first thing that came to mind. "She's made a good start on High Amazonian, and practiced a little archery... she enjoys working with Myrreon, I think she'll be glad to get back to him once this is all settled."

"I can imagine," Ember said, smiling probably more wistfully than she meant to. "He's one of your true inventors. She's always loved learning something new. Has she cooked anything lately?"

"A little," Tara said, "she's very good."

"I'd like to say I taught her that, but I suspect it was the other way around... she takes good care of her staff?"

"As good as I do this," Tara said, reaching over to lay a hand on her spear.

"Good... good."

"She misses you," Tara offered gently. Ember looked at her, surprised, then smiled again.

"Not as much as she'd miss you, if our positions were reversed," she said warmly. "I miss her too... it's good to see her now, even if it's a tense situation. That'll be over soon enough, and I won't be leaving for a few days at least."

"So soon?" Tara asked.

"Lots to do," Ember shrugged, "it's the way of things, anyway. Sooner or later, a girl has to stand on her own to discover what sort of woman she'll become. I can't regret that, when I see the woman she *has* become." She gave Tara a fond look. "Treasure her, won't you."

"I do," Tara said sincerely, "I always will." Ember nodded, and the two of them fell into a comfortable silence, waiting and listening to the vague sounds of the people in the university outside, far away.

"Could I ask something?" Tara said suddenly.

"Of course."

"Shadai said she'd wanted me to suffer for a long time. Why was that? Willow I can understand, being part of frustrating her when she was first summoned, but why me? It seemed more than just anger at an enemy."

"I remember Willow mentioned it yesterday," Ember said, "the demon called you 'bringer of light', didn't she?" Tara nodded. "By their terms, it's an insult, as we'd call someone 'damned' - no, I have no doubt she hated you as much as Willow by the end of it. Remember, she tried to kill you - through Hydris, he hired that assassin in Kingsport. Even though it risked exposing him."

"But why?"

"She was inside Willow," Ember reminded her, "unable to influence her, and in fact being influenced herself - you saw that with your own eyes. I wouldn't be surprised if she was forced to experience everything Willow felt." She regarded Tara with an amused smile. "You've got a fair idea of the kind of emotions you stir in Willow - imagine what those would be like to a being created of disgust and loathing for humanity."

"She had to feel Willow's love for me?" Tara asked.

"For a demon, pure agony." Ember chuckled to herself. "Poetic justice of a sort. It's arguable that no pureblood demon has ever suffered such sustained anguish. I doubt she'll forget that in a hurry."

"Oh, good," Tara said with a frown.

"Don't worry," Ember said kindly, "what I said before hasn't changed. I'd stake my life that you'll never face her again. In fact, after being defeated in such a humiliating fashion, she'll be lucky to find a safe place to hide in hell, let alone start looking for a way back to the mortal plane. If it worries you that demons hold grudges, just bear in mind that practically *all* the lords of hell, including the four Lesser Evils - who are a sight more powerful than Shadai, each of them - no doubt still hold an enormous grudge against her, for her rebellion against them in the Sin Wars." She offered a comforting smile, which then turned into a mischievous grin. "The next few hundred years will definitely not be profitable for Shadai."

"Well," Tara said, feeling less apprehensive now, "I guess... I know a warrior shouldn't gloat, but serves her right."

"Hah," Ember laughed, "that it does." She looked down at the case on her knees, and ran her hand over it thoughtfully.

"What's that?" Tara asked curiously.

"It's called a Dividing Seal," Ember explained, "it's a tradition started long ago, when the Esu witches began collecting the library that's now the heart of the Zann Esu vaults. Some books were notably powerful and dangerous - to keep them from being misused, a section was removed from them, and placed in a case like this. The books are kept in the vault, and the Seals remain separate from them, each guarded by a sorceress. Only the full Council can authorise the reunification of such a book, and then, it would only be done in the direst of circumstances. Otherwise... if anyone manages to steal the book from the vault, not that that's likely, the Seal would be destroyed, and vice versa."

"That's the Seal of Moac's journal?" Tara asked.

"It is," Ember nodded. "Twenty pages or so, carefully removed from the volume without damaging either. A single section dealing with a single magical discipline - without it, the journal remains of great value, I don't doubt that the scholars back at home will find it a worthwhile study for years to come. But the magic that created Hellebore cannot be reproduced."

"I suppose that's for the best," Tara agreed, "it was too much power."

"This ensures that power won't be misused again," Ember offered. "The tower will never be recreated from this volume. But in the extraordinarily unlikely event of someone, unaided, following in Moac's path and creating their own Hellebore, the book and the Seal can be reunited. Together, they could bring down such a tower, as well as help build it."

They both turned as the main doors opened again. This time Willow was the one to emerge, and to Tara's profound relief, she was smiling.

"Hey!" she managed to say, in an excited tone, before Tara rushed to her and hugged her tightly, burying her face in her hair. Recovering from the first flush of relief she leaned back just enough to face Willow, and kissed her firmly and deeply.

"Mmm," Willow moaned, "mmm... ah... good to see you too!" Tara laughed, and kissed her again.

"What did they- your staff!" she exclaimed, details other than Willow herself finally filtering through to her senses. The staff in Willow's hand was the same one she had always carried, but now, atop the plain wooden shaft, there was a dark bronze headpiece capped with a pair of metal vanes. Held between them was a crystal sphere, pale blue and icy.

"I know! Cool, huh?" Willow grinned widely. She turned the staff this way and that, and to Tara's surprise the crystalline heart of the orb swirled, revealing subtle hints of a great well of energy within.

"What does it mean?" Tara asked.

"The Council awarded me my colours," Willow said, her voice brimming over with glee, "you're now looking at a fully-trained, acknowledged, no-longer-student sorceress!"

"Oh my Goddess!" Tara exclaimed. "That's wonderful! Oh my-" She was cut off as Willow handed the staff to Ember, who was standing to one side patiently, took Tara's face in both hands, and brought their lips together. This kiss was long, passionate, intense and deeply loving - Tara's head spun, and she clung to Willow with her free hand, the other holding her spear, as if she was liable to fall over.

"...wow," she breathed when Willow finally retreated from her lips, with a final playful nip at her bottom lip. Willow stared adoringly at her for a moment, then seemed to notice Ember trying to restrain her smile.

"You knew!" she accused happily. "You knew all this time that this is what they were going to do!"

"Surprise," Ember said weakly, before laughing. "I wasn't sure," she admitted, "I didn't want to get your hopes up... but if they hadn't I'd have gone in there and given them such a piece of my mind..."

"Come here," Willow beckoned, holding out an arm to her mentor. Ember walked into the embrace, she and Tara putting a friendly arm over each other's shoulders, while she and Willow hugged.

"Okay, okay," the older sorceress said with a grin after a moment, "come on, I've got a reputation here... the delegation will think I'm going soft in my old age." With a laugh Willow released her, though her arm remained around her shoulders. Her hand brushed against Tara's there, and held it.

"Oh my Gods," Willow said, "I can't believe it..."

"You deserve it," Ember said earnestly, "you've earned this a hundred times over."

"Thank you," Willow blushed.

"Thank you," Ember countered. "You know, I hesitated about taking a student - I'd been on my own for a long time. I honestly wasn't sure I had what it took to teach, in any case."

"You've been a wonderful teacher," Willow said.

"Well, I muddled along," Ember shrugged, "and now I'm very glad I did." She fixed Willow with a warm gaze. "I know you have family," she added in a soft voice, "but I've come to think of you as my family as well. You make me very proud, Willow."

"My family would thank you," Willow said, her voice thick with emotion, "for giving me the love and care that a mother would..."

"Oh, now I'm getting emotional," Ember complained with a wry smile. She glanced at Tara. "Distract her, would you? Show her what you were given."

"What is it?" Willow asked. Tara fumbled with the envelope she had all but forgotten about, and produced the letter.

"Is that what I think- it is!" Willow exclaimed. "Oh my Goddess that's wonderful!"

"You two are repeating yourselves now," Ember joked, withdrawing from Willow and Tara's embrace. Willow laughed joyously, then drew Tara tighter into her arms, so close their lips brushed together as she spoke.

"I guess we have a lot to celebrate," she murmured.

"I guess we do," Tara agreed.

-----

It was late at night when Willow and Tara finally returned to their room in the Princess Tower. Dinner had been shared with Ember, Tryptin, those of the other Amazons who were still in the Palace, and Lissa, who both Willow and Tara had insisted join them when she appeared just before the meal was served in the guest dining room, to check if they needed anything. The story of their adventure had been told again, mostly by Tryptin, to their relief, with some elaboration from Ember on the specifics of Willow's contributions. The only deviation they made from the truth was to omit Willow's personal involvement with Shadai - Ember had earlier agreed with the delegation that, aside from a select few who could be trusted, it would be reported that the demon had spent the past few months inhabiting the ethereal planes, just as had been at first suspected, and that the ghoul lord Willow had fought had managed to summon her before being itself destroyed.

Willow and Tara, having told the tale often enough themselves in the past couple of days, let their attention drift to each other while Tryptin and Ember were entertaining and amazing their other friends with their dramatic re-enactment. Tara had noticed, and pointed out to Willow, when Tryptin began demonstrating spear combat, using his cutlery - no doubt, knowledge he had picked up from his betrothed, and Willow had giggled quietly at seeing Tara's fighting style replicated in miniature. But other than that, they had allowed the majority of the evening's excitement to occur around them, while they remained in quiet, private contemplation of each other. Their mutual relief and joy, at being safe and well, at being back among friends, at no longer living under the shadow of an uncertain peril - at some point during the evening transmuted into a kind of weary contentment.

Lissa, with a professional attendant's prescience, had scurried off a few minutes before Willow and Tara finally finished their meals and took their leave of the celebration, profusely thanking their friends as they did. By the time they reached their bedroom its candles were lit, a comfortable fire was flickering in the hearth, their travelling bags were neatly arranged beside the bookcase, and the bed was looking very inviting, with fresh sheets and fluffy blankets. Willow leaned her staff in its usual place in the corner, walked across to the bed, and promptly measured her length on it, unmoving save for an enormous sigh.

"Tired, sweetie?" Tara asked, sitting next to her and stroking a hand up and down her spine. She mused privately that another advantage to the light Zann Esu clothing was that it did little to muffle the sensations of touch, even so light as a casual caress.

"Uh-huh," Willow said indistinctly, her face buried in a pillow. "Big day."

"Can I tempt you to a bath?" Tara asked slyly. Willow was silent for a second, then energetically rolled over and sat up, cuddling up to Tara's side.

"Consider me tempted," she replied gleefully. Tara laughed, and hand in hand they got up and headed for the bathroom. Tara ran the bath, hampered slightly by Willow, who began undressing her the moment they were in the room.

"Are you in a hurry for something?" she asked over her shoulder, as Willow reached around her and undid the buttons on her tunic.

"Just don't want you to get your lovely sorceress outfit wet," Willow grinned, "it'd be a shame... what if we wanted to play dress-up?"

"I think you only want to play dress *down*," Tara replied.

"Maybe I do," Willow said evenly, opening Tara's tunic and pulling it back and half-way down her arms. Pressing forward against her, effectively keeping her arms out of the way, Willow reached around her and drew a leisurely fingertip up over her stomach and through her cleavage.

"See," she murmured as Tara shuddered, "it's a fun game..." She brushed her palms lightly over Tara's nipples, finding them already hard, and as Tara let her head fall back with a gentle moan, leaned forward over her shoulder to kiss and lick her way back and forth along her neck and collarbone. Tara forced her trembling legs to support her as Willow took her breasts in her hands and squeezed, sending bolts of desire through her. Without even thinking she began moving in Willow's grasp, rhythmically arching her back, swaying her hips, offering herself in time to Willow's caresses.

"Hmm," Willow breathed, "eager, aren't you? And so beautiful..." Tara gave a little moan of protest as her hands moved from cupping her breasts, one returning to stroking back and forth in her cleavage, the other flattening against her abdomen, moving in tight circles.

"Oh goddess," Tara sighed, pressing herself forward for Willow's hand.

"Ooh, you like that?"

"I... yes..." Willow left that hand where it was, circling Tara's navel, while the other finally finished the job of freeing her of her tunic. Tara wasted no time loosening her trousers and letting them fall to the floor. Willow's hand descended, rubbing her waist, teasing her curls.

"Bet you thought I hadn't noticed you weren't wearing anything underneath," she murmured happily.

"Loose pants," Tara panted, "no need... a-and I knew you knew..." She slid her boots off with her toes and leant back in Willow's embrace.

"You like teasing me like that," Willow grinned, "oh, you saucy minx... you like it when I watch you, huh? Tell me," she purred, moving her hands to hold Tara by the hips, their bodies dancing slowly, "those Amazon senses of yours... I bet you can tell when my eyes are on you, can't you?" Tara gave a low, throaty chuckle.

"I can tell when some creature I've never even seen before out in the wild is watching me," she growled, "when it's you... oh baby, I can feel your gaze like *this*." On the last word, she reached back and grabbed Willow tightly by the waist.

"Really?" Willow gasped. "W-well then... I'll have to stare at you more often, if it feels that good."

"You do that," Tara smiled. Leaving one hand on Willow she lean forward and turned off the taps, the bath having filled itself adequately, the water giving off steam.

"Won't you join me?" Tara went on, turning in Willow's grip and giving her a sultry grin as she stepped back into the water. She bit her bottom lip lightly and gave a low murmur in the back of her throat at the heat, which might have been uncomfortable if it wasn't so arousing at the same time. With a parting caress she backed away and lowered herself into the steaming bath, keeping her eyes fixed on Willow's all the while.

Willow shrugged the robe from her shoulders, leaving it in a heap on the floor as she hurried with the buttons on her tunic. Tara watched, her smile a mix of amusement and desire, as Willow disrobed in record time, pulling the tunic open and tossing it aside, undoing her trousers and kicking them away, her boots quickly following. When she finally stood naked her motions ceased, and she simply gazed at Tara, as if trapped by the adoration in her eyes.

Tara stood up, water streaming off her, her wet skin glistening in the candlelight, and held out her arms to Willow. She stepped forward, her feet sliding into the water with barely a ripple, and welcomed Tara's embrace fully as they sank down together.

"I love you," she whispered, as her and Tara's hands both began exploring each other, "I love you like... like my heart had to keep getting bigger just to hold it all." She chuckled shyly at herself, pausing when Tara gently kissed her, a mere brush against her lips.

"And I love you," Tara breathed, "my beautiful Willow... goddess I love you so much..." Willow returned the kiss, parting her lips just a fraction, a promise of more to come. She gave Tara a teasing grin as she settled back.

"So," she murmured, "are we bathing, or can we put this tub to a better use?"

"That depends," Tara smiled languidly, "are you thinking clean thoughts, or naughty thoughts?" Willow chuckled again, and shifted slightly, bringing her lips to Tara's ear.

"Very," she whispered, "very naughty..."

Post subject: Re: FIC: Hellebore (chapter 66, part 2)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:30 pm 
Chris,

Great job. Finally, some good news. I can't believe that the council was letting on with being all stern. Darn right they should give Tara the key to the city thing and give Willow her full colors! They killed a pureblood demon! Wonderful to see them recognized. I really like Ember. She seems very warm and honest. Awesome.

Oppose the Federal Marriage Amendment

Post subject: Re: FIC: Hellebore (chapter 66)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:40 pm 
Heh, I have a reasonable idea which specific member of the Zan Esu clan Tara wants to associate with :lol

Good of Tara to just answer those questions truthfully. Even if she wasn't sure if those were the answers were the ones Cyan wanted to hear. It read like that was somewhat of a test for Tara's Zan Esu citizen ship.

Obviously the council had some idea of granting Willow her full sourcerers staff. The thing has to be made after all.

I liked Ember explaining how she indirectly hurt Shadai by loving Willow. Her reasoning as to why Shadai won't come back also made me much happier. I like that reasoning better than the no-possesion-if-opposed stuff, sounds more 'secure' so to speak.

I love Ember already, the way she indicated several times she would have a nice 'chat' with the council if they did anything but praise Willow. It's good to see Willow having a trusted older person look out for her, and care about her.

Will we ever see/read what was said to Willow by the council ? We know the Tara/Cyan talk after all :lol . I want to know if they thanked her (and Tara indirectly) for saving the world and for adding a rather high-value book to their library. Poor Willow must have been so nervous... facing the council twice while still so young... my my.. :) Besides, I want to know the councils opinion on her actions.

I recommend both Willow and Tara take a nice long vacation, somewhere on a amazion island or something :) Nobody around and Willow can meet people dear to Tara. Come to think of it for some reason I feel we know Willow's 'familly' (for lack of a better term) better than Tara's.

I'm sure eventually those nightmares will dissappear and they will live happilly ever after :lol . Got to wonder if they won't get bored a living a peacefull live for say a year or so... give Willow a couple of good books and she'll be busy... but what will Tara do in her spare-time ?? (besides doing Willow of course heh)

It's late, got to catch some sleep... might reply some more tomorrow. Thanks for updating :bounce

Grimmy

--
"You hurt Tara," Willow said too calmly. "The last one who tried that was a god. I made her regret it." -- Unexpected Consequences by Lisa of Nine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:08 pm 
This was a great update Chris! And it was nice and long which was a treat. I really like how this has been coming together in the last few chapters. It's not rushed and it feels natural for the story. Wonderful job!!

:peace

-pipsberg

"We live our lives, do whatever we do, and then we sleep - it's as simple and ordinary as that."

Michael Cunningham, The Hours

Post subject: Great fic
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:50 am 
Hey,

i've catched you fic a week ago or so, and I must say that i'm really hooked on it, a really merit if we think that I'm not into Middle Age-The lord of the Rings stuff at all(sorry if you don't like the comparison...). I kept of thinking while I was reading "This must be published" Incredible plot, incredible writing, and, well, other really intresting parts, too :blush

SO, i'm here waiting impatiently for the next update,

take care

Almu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:08 pm 
Hello everybody, and thank you :) Well, it's time to wrap up this story - the final chapter is ready to go, and will be posted directly following this. I'm deeply grateful to everyone who's read, especially to those of you who've left a word or two of encouragement along the way. It's a tremendous gift to a writer :) On top of that, to those of you who've been so wonderfully forthcoming, leaving comments all along the way, sometimes in such amazing detail... words can't express it. Thanks, all of you :)

Debra: Thanks :) Yes, good news time. I hope the Council didn't seem *too* stern, they have a heavy responsibility weighing on them, that's all. Having been fighting a war against demons for hundreds of years, they don't jump to conclusions easily, even when they're good conclusions. But that said, neither are they sparing with goodwill when it's deserved.

Grimlock: Thank you :) You're right, the Council delegation was fairly sure, having read Ember's report that morning, what they were going to do. But they're cautious souls, and like to go through the motions. I left out Willow's talk with the delegation partly so it would be a surprise when she came out to meet Tara, but also because it probably would have been a bit boring otherwise :) They already know Willow, as she's one of them, having gone through all the Zann Esu's teachings - unlike the questions Cyan put to Tara, most of what Willow had to answer would have been minute details, like exactly what spells did she use, exactly what kind of magic did she sense from Shadai, and so on... scientific details, rather than deep insights.

The staff head is magical, as it seems - as Tara noticed, the staff itself is the same one Willow has always had, and the headpiece was added to it by the delegation while Willow was there. They would have had the raw materials for the spell ready, the metal and so on.

Eventually yes, the nightmares will vanish. They'll naturally turn up now and then for a while - probably, having been through all that, Tara will have one or two of her own - but in time they'll fade. Sleeping cuddled up together will certainly help :)

I doubt they'll get *too* bored living the peaceful life. After all, they're still in a city which is entirely new to them, with much more travelling to come. They'll rarely be short of something new and interesting to investigate. Willow, as you note, has her ongoing studies, which is essentially the life of a sorceress - improve herself, as a person, a scholar and a mage, and make a living on the side. Magic is useful for all sorts of things, and even in a realm where there's schools and colleges, mages are rare enough that they can make a living being paid for their work. Remember, the reason Tara was sent on the mission in the first place was to experience new things, and find her place in the world. She's found her place in her personal life, with Willow - professionally, she has her intention, once she returns home, to become a priestess (essentially a counselor and scholar combined), but she's still young, and settling down to any one calling isn't something she necessarily has to decide on right away. She's able to support herself, and all the travelling she and Willow will do will provide all sorts of opportunities to discover more about herself, and what she might ultimately want to do with her life.

That's assuming fate doesn't drop anything else in their laps - you never know what'll happen next :)

Pipsberg: Thanks :) I'm glad it feels like it's at a good pace. I didn't want to just end on the defeat of Shadai, because it seemed like there was more to the story that just that. I hoped these final chapters would give a feeling of closure on this first stage of Willow and Tara's life together, and lead them to the next.

Bare1975: Thank you :) I like the comparison just fine :) Lord of the Rings is largely what I've been trying to get at, in feel if not scope or grandeur (I'm not *that* ambitious) - the feel of a complete world, not just a stage for the story to take place in. Plus, there's Willow and Tara making love, instead of hobbits walking and discussing what they'll have for dinner - bonus :)

Post subject: FIC: Hellebore (chapter 67, final chapter)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:13 pm 
Hellebore

Author: Chris Cook

Rating: NC-17

Summary: A headstrong sorceress and a young Amazon join forces to locate and destroy an ancient source of demonic power.

Spoilers: None.

Copyright: Based on characters from 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer', created by Joss Whedon and his talented minionators, and 'Diablo II' by Blizzard Entertainment. All original material is copyright 2003 Chris Cook.

Dedicated to everyone who's been reading along, and everyone who's left feedback. You guys and gals are the best. I'm sorry it has to end :)

--

Chapter Sixty-Seven

--

When she woke, Tara found herself immersed in a scarlet softness, which tickled her face slightly as she stirred. Identifying the familiar scent, she realised she was nestling with her face in Willow's hair, and smiled joyously as she tightened her arms around her lover. Willow murmured in her sleep, the hand on Tara's waist squeezing a fraction, the thigh draped over her shifting slightly.

"...mmmfr... strawberry boat..." she said quietly, before deepening her slumber again. Tara chuckled, keeping her body still so as not to disturb Willow, and moved her head back a little on the pillow, just enough to see Willow's face as she slept. She looked serene, happy... 'No bad dreams,' Tara sighed contentedly, 'not any more.'

Willow heaved a deep breath and rolled over, pinning Tara beneath her. Her lips opened on Tara's shoulder, tasting her skin, then she wriggled upwards, tracing a path of kisses up her neck towards her mouth. Tara eagerly opened to her as, somewhere between sleep and awareness, Willow descended on her lips and tasted deeply from them. She could feel Willow waking up through the kiss, in the way her mouth sought more contact, the way her tongue, at first slow to move, began venturing forth, running over Tara's lips, deep into her mouth. She couldn't hold back a gasp of pleasure as Willow finally lifted herself up on hands and knees and tilted her head sideways, kissing as deeply as she could, opening herself to Tara in return.

"Mmm... ah," Willow exclaimed, opening her eyes and pulling her lips from Tara's. "Morning... thought you'd wake me with a kiss? You're such a romantic, my sweet beauty..."

"Willow," Tara said in an amused murmur, "much as I'd love to take credit for the idea... look who's straddling who?"

"Hmm?" Willow blinked sleepily, then glanced down, realising their positions. "Oh... well it's only natural, isn't it? What did you think I was dreaming about, anyway..."

"I don't know," Tara purred, running her hands up Willow's sides, "what *were* you dreaming about?"

"Mmm, nice," Willow trembled at Tara's caresses, "ah... bath-time, actually..."

"Oh," Tara grinned, "that made a big impression, did it?" Willow giggled, and leant down to nuzzle at Tara's neck.

"You're not the only one who made an impression," she noted, her tongue tracing the outline of a rosy mark left by her lips the night before. Tara just smiled and shrugged.

"My turn?" she asked impishly, gripping Willow's hips and pulling her down to settle atop her waist.

"Your turn?" Willow echoed. "I seem to recall you and I each having... goddess, more 'turns' than I can count last night." She gyrated slowly, feeling the warmth between her thighs press against Tara's stomach. "And that was before we even made it to bed."

"Oh, well," Tara said, with a forced casualness that wasn't in the least convincing, "if you'd rather not..."

"I said nothing of the sort-" Willow began gleefully, only to be interrupted by a knock at the door. "Argh!" she complained quietly. Tara let out an exasperated sigh, then lithely rolled out from beneath Willow and slid to the edge of the bed.

"I'll get it," she muttered, "and *you*," she directed a sultry gaze Willow's way, "stay right there... my lips have business with you, and they won't be delayed." Content with the way Willow stretched beneath the blankets, biting her lip in arousal, she slid her legs to the floor and stood up.

"Yikes!" she squealed, grabbing for a robe.

"What?" Willow sat up quickly.

"Cold!" Tara frowned, hastily tying the robe's sash as the visitor on the other side of the door knocked again. Willow, experiencing the morning chill first-hand, quickly lay back down and burrowed underneath the blankets.

"Sorry, I was... asleep," Tara said as she opened the door, halting half-way when she realised the visitor wasn't one of their attendants, as she'd expected, but a page, resplendent in the livery of the Duke's personal staff, holding a sealed letter and staring at her.

"M-m-my a-a-apologies m-ma'am," he stammered, the hand holding the letter trembling, "th-th-the-" he paused and swallowed convulsively. His gaze, which had travelled Tara's length, fixed on her face as if he was afraid to do otherwise would be the end of him. Tara glanced down at herself, realising the robe she had grabbed wasn't the most modest she could have chosen, and that on top of that, in her haste she hadn't exactly covered herself completely - in tying the sash she had managed to catch a fold from the lower portion, lifting the hem of the robe up around the top of her thighs, and the front too had managed to get snagged somehow, leaving the neckline very revealing on one side...

'Giant-sized oops,' Tara thought, blushing furiously as she hastily rearranged herself, pulling the robe down over her thighs and closed over her cleavage. The page swallowed again as she returned her gaze to him, and took a deep breath.

"Apologies for the," he began, in a high-pitched squeak, then coughed and continued in a normal voice, "intrusion ma'am." Evidently feeling it safe to look elsewhere but Tara's face, he bowed deeply, then held out the letter. "His grace the Duke presents his compliments to Lady Tara of the Amazons and Lady Willow of the Zann Esu, and requests and requires their presence in the Century Hall for an audience no later than ten of the clock... um... good day ma'am," he finished with an air of slight desperation. He retreated quickly to the stairs as soon as the letter was out of his hand.

"What was that?" Willow asked, peeking out from beneath the blankets at the foot of the bed. Tara closed the door and opened the letter, which echoed the page's summons word for word, with the Ducal seal beneath.

"The Duke," she said, quickly reading the letter before setting it aside.

"What, in person?" Willow asked with a grin.

"No, just a very flustered page," Tara replied, undoing her robe again. "We've been summoned to the Century Hall, wherever that is." She glanced at the timepiece on the mantle. "We've got an hour, no hurry."

"Good," Willow said, reaching out to catch Tara's hands and pull her towards the bed, "because there's something I *am* in a hurry for... it *is* cold," she added, rubbing Tara's back as she crawled beneath the blankets and settled into her embrace.

"Told you," Tara shrugged, running a slightly chilly finger up Willow's spine, making her shiver from something other than cold.

"This habit of yours," Willow said teasingly, "of giving the servants an eyeful whenever they come knocking on our door..."

"It's not a *habit*," Tara protested, as Willow paused to kiss her neck, "I... mmm... only did it by accident... a-and... ooh!" she exclaimed, as Willow gently lay on top of her, her leg coming to rest between Tara's thighs, pressing lightly on her centre.

"You were saying something?" Willow purred, pressing her thigh gently upward.

"Oooh-ah-aaah... ah..." Tara gasped, her hips lifting off the bed on their own, seeking firmer contact with Willow's leg, "I-I... was saying... wh-what was I saying?"

"Something about flashing the Palace staff by accident," Willow chuckled, pressing herself into Tara's embrace, feeling Tara's nipples, already hardened by the chill, poking into her breasts.

"*Accident*," Tara repeated with an exasperated grin, "anyway, I didn't know it'd be a page... thought it'd just be Lissa or Jesye..."

"Oh, so you don't mind giving *them* a show," Willow persisted, carefully keeping the contact between herself and the moist apex of Tara's thighs brief, teasing.

"I-I... ah," Tara gasped, as Willow allowed her a moment of firmer contact, before lifting away again, "a-at least... they're not... complete strangers..."

"Mmm," Willow murmured, as if unconvinced, "you know what I think? I think," she drawled slowly, as her hands wandered Tara's back, "you just like putting on a show..."

"Maybe I do," Tara countered, teasing the sides of Willow's breasts with her fingertips, "but only when they audience is you."

"Good," Willow moaned happily as Tara's hands finally cupped her breasts and squeezed, "good... oh... do you think... I could convince you to skip the showing... and move on to the main attraction?"

"I don't know," Tara said in a sultry whisper, "do you think you can... convince me?" With a parting caress she removed her hands from Willow and folded them neatly beneath her head, smiling up at Willow.

"I'll convince you, don't you worry," Willow breathed, "I'll *convince* you 'til you don't know your own name..." Tara beamed a smile, and Willow lowered herself to kiss it. As soon as her lips touched Tara's, however, she pulled back. Tara gasped slightly, obviously expecting to have been kissed deeply and thoroughly, and looked up at Willow questioningly.

"You're not the only one who can tease, you know," Willow said mischievously, leaning down again. Again she allowed only the most fleeting of kisses before recoiling, again Tara couldn't help herself from tilting her chin up, her open lips searching for Willow's.

"Patience," Willow grinned. Again and again she kissed Tara, each time only a fleeting, momentary touch to her lips, a lightning-quick caress of her tongue, a taste. Tara writhed sensuously beneath her, craving all the contact she could find.

"So beautiful," Willow murmured, working her way down Tara's jaw and neck with more teasing, feather-light kisses. Tara's arms being folded beneath her head draw her breasts up her chest, full and luxurious, mounds of smooth flesh resting, trembling. Willow licked her way down her cleavage, lightly, each touch of tongue or lips only leaving Tara wanting more. She spent a long while tasting Tara's breasts, one then the other, from above, beneath, either side. Tara's breathing was deep, laboured with desire, when Willow finally allowed herself to taste one of the nipples standing so proudly before her.

"Ah!" Tara exclaimed, arching her back into a deep curve, almost lifting Willow from the bed as she thrust herself towards the blissful contact. Her arms flexed above her, grabbing handfuls of pillow and clenching tight, her legs kicked beneath the blankets, while already her hips were rolling back and forth, seeking release for her yearning, dripping sex.

Supporting herself with her hands, Willow cheerfully denied Tara the contact she craved. Her tongue flicked back and forth across her nipples, touching their peaks or running up from beneath them, her lips ghosted around the straining points, but always only for a fraction of a second, enough to make Tara gasp, moan, writhe, never enough to satisfy.

"Goddess, Willow," Tara growled, unable to contain herself. Willow lifted her head for a moment to give a triumphant smile, then lowered herself again, trailing tantalising licks and kisses down Tara's stomach. Tara moaned with every breath now, and it took only the slightest touch of Willow's tongue on her inner thighs to part her legs, to reveal to Willow, in the warm, muffled light filtering in past the blankets piled over her back and shoulders, the glistening of Tara's nectar coating her.

"Beautiful," Willow murmured once more, settling herself down between Tara's legs. Tara strained towards her as she held back, inhaling her scent, her musk still thick, heady from a night of heated love and passion.

"Mmm," she purred, letting her tongue flick out, gathering a tiny sample of arousal from Tara's lips. She savoured the taste fully, while Tara groaned aloud and worked her hips desperately, then returned for another, and another. Daring Tara's restraint she let her lips settle around Tara's folds and sucked gently, tenderly and slowly, while her arms stealthily encircled Tara's thighs, her hands flattening against her hips.

"W-Willow," Tara gasped. Willow gave a last, faint lick to Tara's mound and lifted her head, staring up into Tara's wild gaze.

"You want?" she asked with silken ardour.

"I *need*," Tara pleaded, nodding fitfully. Willow smiled, then pursed her lips and blew Tara a kiss. The relief on her face was almost that of release, and Willow was buoyed to realise that she had brought Tara so close that just the promise of the culmination of her teasing was almost enough to sate her. Etching Tara's joyous, yearning face in her memory, she closed her eyes, lowered herself to Tara's mound, and encircled her clit with hungry lips.

"Oh, Goddess!" Tara screamed as her climax crashed through her, set free after what seemed an eternity of agonising, blissful torment. Her hips bucked - Willow's grip around her thighs was like steel, and from denying her the release she craved, now she focused all her attention to the reverse, to giving her no respite from her release. As Tara moaned and writhed, Willow kept her lips firmly in place, her own moans at Tara's pleasure vibrating through them both, her tongue ceaseless in its caresses.

Sweat beaded on Tara's brow as she came and came, careless of who might hear her cries, all her being focused purely on the woman she loved, who she surrendered everything to, and in return was gifted with this most intense pleasure. Again and again her body shuddered, her core clenched and gushed its arousal, and whether her climax was repeating or whether it simply never ended, she had no idea. There was only Willow... nothing but Willow...

...surrounded by Willow. She returned to awareness cradled in Willow's embrace, to the deliciously tender sensation of being kissed. She sighed happily and curled her arms around Willow's waist, helping a little as Willow tugged the blankets back over both of them.

"You were right," she murmured when the lips opened against hers made their way down her cheek, "I can't remember my own name."

"It's 'Tara'," Willow offered with a giggle.

"Mmm," Tara smiled, "I like the way you say it..."

"Is that like how you say 'Willow'? Your lips mould the name, your tongue caresses it... sensual, like a slow kiss... you make 'Willow' the most beautiful name ever spoken."

"Yes," Tara nodded, "just like that."

"Taaaraaa," Willow murmured sexily into Tara's ear, eliciting a tremble from her, a tightening of the arms around her waist.

"What was it you were convincing me of?" she replied. "'Cause I think I'm thoroughly convinced..."

"I... actually, I forgot," Willow shrugged with a grin. "Tell you what, how about you and me go have a long, hot shower... maybe it'll come back to me?"

"I like that plan," Tara agreed, "except that it involves getting out of this lovely warm bed, with my lovely warm Willow... sigh, what a dilemma," she pouted theatrically, making Willow laugh.

"Come on, drama queen," she grinned, gingerly edging back the covers, "it's not that- yikes, it *is* cold. Hey, look." Tara followed her gaze to the window, seeing the outside patterned at the corners by intricate webs of frost.

"Here," Tara offered, quickly jumping out of bed to the dresser and retrieving a pair of long robes, one of which she tossed to Willow. "I'll get a fire going."

"You're a goddess," Willow said, pulling the robe on tight. She paused to kneel behind Tara, as she selected a couple of logs from the pile, and pulled the back of her robe down just enough to press a leisurely kiss to the nape of her neck.

"I try," Tara smiled. "Remember we've got to be ready to meet the Duke... what do you suppose he wants?"

"Guessing? Just going through the motions," Willow shrugged. She picked up her belt from the table, where she had left it lying the evening before, and began removing the various scrolls and potion vials from it, storing them neatly in the shelves of the writing desk.

"He's probably been given reports from the army by now," she went on, "the monastery, the demons, all that. If it's an audience, it's probably just that he needs to make an official statement. We *did* cause a decent-sized area of his realm to blow up, after all," she chuckled, "he'd have to acknowledge that one way or the other. Given that we got a polite invitation, not a squad of Palace guards, I guess he's read the reports from the Zann Esu delegation, and accepted their decision that we did well. I wouldn't be surprised if Tryptin got a word in his ear as well," she added.

"Fair enough," Tara nodded, carefully stacking the fireplace, "so... then what?"

"Well," Willow said, putting her belt aside and sitting on the table, staring speculatively out of the window, "then... I'm a free sorceress now, unless the Council specifically assigns me a mission, I can choose where to go... I'd actually like to continue travelling, just as they arranged for me. Stay here a while, then head into Khanduras, or go further west along the river... the only difference is that now I'd be travelling at my discretion, not at the Council's orders." She slid off the table and came over to where Tara had started a small fire, kneeling down at her side to feel its warmth.

"Of course, that means if I wanted to take time off, I could... If you want to return home with Tryptin and the others, I'll come with you. I'd like to see your home... our home."

Tara turned to her, a gentle smile on her face. She raised a hand to Willow's cheek and lightly stroked it, her fingertips tracing the contours of her face, brushing the corner of her lips in passing.

"We will go home one day," she promised, "but it doesn't have to be right away. There's so much of the world I haven't seen yet... I have the chance to see it, with you. I'd very much like to. Whatever we choose," she leaned in and grazed her lips over Willow's, "we'll be together."

"Forever?" Willow murmured.

"Forever and always," Tara nodded. She kissed Willow again, gently and slowly, and when she sat back on her heels there was a quirky smile on her lips. "When I asked 'then what', though," she added, "I just meant later today." Willow blinked, then abruptly laughed.

"In that case," she giggled, "um... well, the audience probably won't take long, just a few minutes standing in front of the Duke while he says his piece, then I don't know... Myrreon might be there, so I'll talk to him about resuming my studies, but that won't start until tomorrow at the earliest."

"I should check in at the barracks," Tara mentioned, "although with so many troops out in the field, there's probably not going to be anyone much to train for a couple of weeks."

"Shopping," Willow said, as they stood up and turned from the fire's growing warmth, "my treat - I'm buying us the thickest, fluffiest, softest, most luxurious robes I can find. With matching slippers," she added, prompting a giggle from Tara. Reaching the table, she picked up her belt and undid the few remaining pouches.

"We could just wear warmer clothes," Tara suggested jokingly, "you know, rather than wander around in only our robes until it's time to go out."

"Ah, but you see, the thing about robes," Willow pointed out sagely, "is that they offer such excellent *access* to each other, and that's something I don't intend to give up... what's this?"

"What's what?" Tara asked. Willow slid the two notebooks out of their pouch, and Tara saw that several pages of parchment, neatly folded, had been slipped in between them. A brief note was written on the back of the topmost.

"'Have fun, from Cyan also. -E'. It's from Ember," she clarified, frowning in confusion.

"She's been ferreting through your journals?" Tara asked with a grin.

"She went through the scrolls and potions yesterday, while the delegation was deliberating, just a formality... Gods, I hope she didn't read our private journal," Willow said earnestly, "or see your drawings... there'll be no end to her teasing- what in the holy heavens?" She unfolded the aged parchment to reveal reams of text and diagrams, intricate equations and illustrations of runes, formulae, rituals, gestures.

"What is it?" Tara asked, frowning at the dense, indecipherable text.

"Elemental magic," Willow said in a hushed tone, "governing principles, applications, the primal theories... it's in code- this is from the journal!" she exclaimed in an astonished whisper. "This is Moac's! I recognise the code, it's part of his journal... why on earth did Ember put this in here?"

"It's the Seal, isn't it?" Tara asked. "She showed me the case yesterday while we were waiting, this is the section of the book they took out of it. Isn't it?"

"It looks like it," Willow nodded, "but why...?"

"I think I've got an idea," Tara said, comprehension dawning on her face. "Think about it - how many ancient manuscripts have you got at the moment? Unbound, like this."

"How many...? Um, well, I picked up a copy of a copy of Tremayne's 'Elemental Forces' in Kingsport... there's Passha's 'Primal Magical Nature', I've had that for a couple of years, but it comes in handy now and then... Warrach and Yseult's dissertation on microscopic force control, a couple of others, oh, and Myrreon's having a copy made of his Arctic Codex, that's a Vizjerei text on ice magic..."

"And how many are valuable?" Tara persisted. "Would any of them be worth stealing?"

"Well, to an unscrupulous mage," Willow hesitated, "no, not even then, really... they're not that difficult to find, it'd be easier to just track one down on your own... what are you getting at?"

"Ember's hiding the Seal where no-one will look for it," Tara explained, "I mean, if some madman or demon wanted to rebuild Hellebore, what would they do? They'd try to get the journal from the Zann Esu vaults-"

"That'd be practically impossible," Willow interjected.

"-and get the Seal case from Ember," Tara went on, "and from what you've told me of her, I don't like anyone's chances of achieving that, either. Who would think of trying to steal one of the manuscripts you're carrying around to study?"

"But... okay," Willow argued, "that's true, but giving me the pages... I mean, I'm not about to try to take over the world or anything, but it's still dangerous... What if I misused the magic? Or, what if someone did steal them from me, for some reason? Not that I'm about to let my guard down, but..."

"They still wouldn't have the rest of the journal," Tara pointed out, "and it's no different to Ember carrying the Seal. Except that no-one looking for the Seal would try to steal it from you - so far as everyone but you, me, Ember and Cyan know, these pages are in the case she's carrying. As for misusing it," Tara shook her head, "you made that mistake once, I'm sure Ember knows you better than to think you haven't learned from that. After all, you learn from *everything*."

"She's made me a Seal-bearer," Willow mused, "in secret... why me? I mean, why not one of the Council, or a more experienced sorceress, she knows plenty-"

"The same reason I would," Tara said gently, "because, even if all else fails, she trusts you. To keep this safe... and to put it to good use." Willow hesitated, idly tracing her fingertips over some of the patterns on the pages in her hand.

"You really think... she trusts me that much?" she asked. There was a note of awed hope in her voice, and Tara realised how important it was to Willow to believe she lived up to her mentor's expectations.

"Yes," she answered sincerely, lightly holding Willow's shoulders, "I really do."

"I..." Willow hesitated, "...oh my gods... b-but what do I do with it? I should keep it with me, I'll- no, I know, a spell, something I can set off if it's stolen, to destroy it, I'll have to look up the preparations for a standing fire spell-"

"Willow," Tara interrupted patiently, "have you ever, in your entire life, lost a book?"

"Well..." Willow replied, "no, not as such..."

"Look up spells later, then. Put it with your other books," Tara said warmly, "then come have a shower with me." Willow looked from Tara to the pages, and back again.

"Okay," she decided, and Tara felt the tension go out of her shoulders. "Only because it's you, mind," Willow added, "there's not many people in this world more tempting to me than an ancient, cryptic manuscript."

"I'm glad I'm one of them," Tara laughed. Willow slipped the pages back between the two notebooks, and put them in the desk.

"You're the only one," she replied. "You know, if the Power That Is wrote a notebook on how She brought the world into being... I swear you could tempt me away from it."

"Sweet talker," Tara smiled, taking her hand.

-----

What with one thing and another, showering took the better part of half an hour, and belatedly realising the time, Willow and Tara dried quickly, hoping to find just enough time to squeeze in breakfast before having to venture forth for their audience with the Duke. Jesye, it seemed, had anticipated this, and had a hot breakfast already waiting when Tara descended the stairs to the attendant's room to see what the kitchen could whip up in a hurry.

"There's a letter for you Miss," she said to Willow, after placing bowls of hot porridge and a jug of fruit juice on the table, "and one for you too, Miss," she added to Tara, reaching into the shoulder bag she had with her. To Willow she handed a slim, plain envelope; to Tara, a package wrapped in waterproof oilcloth. On the bed she carefully laid out Tara's armour and Willow's battlegear, both having been carefully cleaned by the Palace laundry, paused to stock another log onto the fire with her customary efficiency, then departed.

"It's from one of the faculties in the university," Willow explained, opening her letter, "a response to one of the letters I sent when we arrived."

"What took them so long?" Tara wondered.

"That's colleges for you," Willow said idly, "it's probably been collecting dust on a desk somewhere until someone remembered... what's yours?"

"From home," Tara smiled. Willow put aside her letter and started on her breakfast, watching Tara contentedly as she opened the package, grinning all the while.

"It's from Eponin," Tara went on, drawing out a letter folded at the top of the package, "she... oh my Goddess..." Willow was on her feet, having seen the joy in Tara's eyes turn to surprise, then disbelief, as she read the page.

"What?" she asked, coming to stand at Tara's side. Looking down, she saw the oilcloth contained a slim wooden box, square and flat. With a shaking hand Tara put down the accompanying letter and undid the tiny brass latch on the box. She paused, and for a moment seemed lost in hesitation. Willow's gaze moved between the box and her face - there was no fear or dismay in her eyes, but something made her anxious, apprehensive. Willow put a hand gently on her shoulder in mute support; Tara glanced at her, her eyes warming, with a hint of moisture, and then she looked down and opened the box.

Within, resting on a bed of padded red silk, was a slim gold circlet, in every way the double of the one now sitting on the mantle, that Tara wore as part of her ceremonial or battledress.

"What does it mean?" Willow frowned, confused. "Eponin sent you another circlet? Why-" she broke off as she saw Tara's lip tremble.

"For y-you," she said in a tiny, awed voice. She swallowed and said again, "it's for you." She turned to Willow, who was struck dumb by dawning comprehension.

"I-I wrote from Kingsport," she explained, "I knew... even so soon after we'd met, I believe with all my heart... you're special. I knew I'd follow you anywhere, a-and... and never want to let you go. I knew I loved you... and then, I was finally coming to believe that... that you loved me... somehow, I was the one you loved..." She swallowed again and continued.

"In the letter I sent back home, I told her... everything. What I felt for you, what I dreamed of... I told her I wanted to stay with you, and that one day, I hoped you would come home with me, to the Islands... to become," her voice fell to a whisper, "to become part of my family."

Willow tried to speak, but found it completely beyond her. Tara stared at her, searching her face, then took a steadying breath and went on.

"You remember I told you," she said, "an Amazon is never alone, never without a family. As an orphan I was accepted into Eponin's family... but *my* family, my mother and father, their ancestors before them, they're still a part of me too. I wear my mother's circlet... and it's the tradition that if someone like me, orphaned, is..." she glanced down nervously, "is joined, with another... then, my true family line is restored. B-because," she reached hesitantly for Willow, stroked her cheek, "I'm not alone... I have you."

Again Willow wanted to speak, but no words would come to her, nor would her mouth and throat answer her - all she could do was lift her hand, to hold Tara's gently, firmly against her cheek.

"N-normally," Tara went on, after a moment of anxious silence, "the mistress of the clan house would approve such a joining, the restoration of a family line within the clan... I-I wanted... back then, everything was so new, so I only hoped... one day, to present you to Eponin, to ask for her approval... I was sure she would... and th-then she'd have a new circlet made, a-and enter in the clan's records the rebirth of my... our family..."

"Th-this...?" Willow asked, finally able to form a word. She reached for the circlet, but her fingertips shied away from touching it. Tara nodded shyly.

"I-I guess I must've described you well," she said with a tremulous smile. "She's entrusted me with my family's future, under her clan... she's made the choice mine... to offer this... t-to you... i-if you... if you want...?" her voice trailed into silence, as she stared, yearning, into Willow's eyes.

"A-a-are..." Willow stammered, "a-are you... asking... me...?"

"I am," Tara whispered, "I... Willow, you're... my love... will you marry me?"

Willow stood rooted to the spot, unable to move or speak to save her life. Her mouth hung open, lower lip trembling; her hand, holding Tara's to her face, fell silently down, her arms hanging at her sides.

"I-I know it's... well, not a long time," Tara said, anxiety creeping up her cheeks in the form of a blush, as the silence went on, "we haven't known each other that long, I mean... but we've shared so much... I can't imagine my life now without you, I... if you want to wait, I-I understand, there's no rush... I'm yours, I always will be... do you want...? Sh-should I have waited...? I'm sorry, if it's too soon, I-"

The sadness creeping into her eyes in an instant overrode the shock and awe keeping Willow silent, and at last she found her voice.

"I will," she whispered, interrupting Tara's doubts.

"Wh-what...?" Tara asked, the shining hope in her gaze rekindled in the blink of an eye.

"I will," Willow repeated, her voice firming, "I will. I will marry you. I will..." she trailed off as the enormity of her words hit her. "...oh my gods... I will marry you." Her lips curved into a smile, then she let out a gasp of joyful laughter, as if simply unable to contain the emotions within her.

"Y-you will?" Tara asked, her face that of someone staring into the eyes of a goddess, wondering if she dared believe it was true.

"Yes," Willow nodded.

"Marry me?"

"Yes."

"You and I...?"

"Yes."

"Family...?"

"Yes."

"Willow..." Tara said at last, searching for something to say, some magical words that would be anything but woefully inadequate for the love flowering inside her.

"I think you mean 'my betrothed'," Willow suggested with a dazzling smile, quickly answered by Tara.

"Yes," she said, "yes, I do." Gently, tenderly, her movements guided by angels, Tara cupped Willow's cheeks in both hands, leant forward, closed her eyes, and brought their lips together.

It was as if she was discovering Willow's lips for the first time, as she had so many days and nights ago, late in a drafty corridor in a castle far away. Her first thought was the same: 'so soft... oh Goddess, so soft...' and though she had initiated the kiss this time, just as she had been then she was now rendered speechless, immobile, her mind and soul a blank slate that was filled by the tender caress of Willow's lips on hers. Love filled her, gave her warmth and life and dreams, and then her life, memories of home and strange wilderness, of happiness and loneliness, danger and sanctuary, memories of all the times of bliss she and Willow had shared, shy, tender adoration, soaring passion, burning desire - all returned to her, settled around the core of perfect, pure love.

She drew her lips from Willow's, felt her breathe a sigh against her cheek, and at last opened her eyes again.

"Willow," she whispered, robbed of all other thought when Willow's eyes opened, and connected with her gaze.

"Tara," Willow answered, her face flushed with love and arousal, her chest rising and falling with deep breaths. A smile tugged at her mouth, turning up the corners, and Tara smiled too, as if her joy and Willow's were inseparable.

"S-so," Willow ventured in an awe-struck voice, "i-is it... there's a ceremony?"

"Ceremony..." Tara repeated dazedly, still held tight in Willow's gaze.

"M-marriage," Willow said, nodding slightly, "if I... I mean, if that's how it goes... when an Amazon and a, a... whatever I am," she grinned sheepishly.

"Ceremony," Tara said again, her mind catching up, "yes! Yes, there's- what do you mean, whatever you are?"

"I was just wondering," Willow explained, "I'm not an Amazon, I didn't know if your traditions were different in that case, or..." she shrugged.

"Willow," Tara said tenderly, "you... you can be. You don't have to be born Amazon, if you and I become family, you have as much right to call yourself Amazon as I do. If that's what you want," she added with a shy smile.

"That is exactly what I want," Willow replied, then ventured a grin. "Besides, there's no sorceress marriage rite... I-I'd be deeply honoured to be your wife, as an Amazon." Tara nodded, then with trembling hands undid the sash around her waist.

"This is our way," she explained quietly, slipping the robe from her shoulders. She then reached down to the table behind herself, and after a moment's blind searching her hand found the circlet, still nestled in its silken case.

"I am naked before you," she whispered, the words of a ritual apparent in her tone, "body and soul. All that I am you see, and all that you see I offer to you. If it is your wish, by my honour and that which I hold sacred, I am yours." Tentatively, she held out the circlet.

Willow's breath caught, and then her hands were reaching forward. About to touch the slim arc of gold she paused, then her hands quickly drew back, undoing her sash and discarding her robe in turn. She took a step closer to Tara and gently put her hands on the circlet, holding it but not yet taking it from Tara's hands, their fingertips touching.

"I-I offer myself," she said in a tiny whisper, "all that I am... a-as I accept you, so I am yours." Tara's eyes dropped to the circlet as Willow at last lifted it from her hands, and her gaze followed it as she lifted it to her head, slipped its ends carefully over her ears, and slid it back until it rested on her brow. As Willow's hands withdrew, Tara let out a great sigh, almost a moan of release, from deep inside herself.

"W-we are joined," she said, taking a step forward herself, her hands finding Willow's and holding them. "B-by our tradition, in one year we shall be wed... if that is your wish," she added. This time though, all her nervousness was gone, and Willow saw only playful joy behind her eyes.

"It is my wish," she replied, "very much."

"Then it will be," Tara whispered. She paused, then added: "Amazon."

"My Gods," Willow breathed, "Amazon... me..." She let out a soft cascade of breath, a quiet, jubilant laugh. "We're family now?"

"We are," Tara nodded. Willow nodded too, then her smile became an impish grin.

"That doesn't make us sisters, does it?" she asked. Tara snorted a laugh.

"No it most certainly does not," she chuckled. "Oh Goddess, I don't think I've ever been so nervous in my entire life..."

"Why?" Willow smiled. "It's not like I was going to say no."

"I know," Tara laughed, "but... Goddess, I just proposed marriage. If you can't get nervous at that, what can you?"

"I'll admit to more than a few butterflies in the stomach myself," Willow offered, "I... I dreamed, you know? But when it's real... was taking off my robe right? That was a custom, wasn't it?"

"For me, yes," Tara said, "as the one proposing... it's why proposals are generally done in private... you didn't have to, it's not required by tradition, but" her smile broadened, if that were possible, "it meant so much to me that you did... and," she raised an eyebrow, and her smile turned sultry, "it's very much appreciated."

"Mmm," Willow purred, "well I have to say, I like your customs very much indeed... we're betrothed for a year, then?"

"Uh-huh," Tara nodded, licking her lips, "if you'd like, I'd like to-"

"-return to the Islands in a year's time," Willow completed the sentence, and Tara nodded. "Then that's what we'll do. But in the meantime..." she trailed off, her gaze darting between Tara's eyes and her parted lips.

"Yes?" she murmured.

"Tara..." Willow breathed, "I want to make love to you right now."

"Yes," Tara growled.

She took Willow in her arms, kissing her passionately, and Willow responded at once, her arms around Tara's back, pulling her closer even as her mouth opened and her tongue met Tara's inside. With one quick step her legs touched the bed behind her, and Tara advanced, lowering her to the tangled sheets and blankets. Tara's bold kiss drew moans from her, each swallowed as her lips and tongue were devoured, while her legs parted, inviting the press of Tara's thigh against her centre.

"Yes," she gasped raggedly into the lips consuming her. She raised her leg just as Tara straddled it, feeling at once the heated wetness waiting for her touch, and as if ordained by the gods to join, they moved together. Hips surged forward and drew back, skin rubbed against flushed folds and eager, tender nubs, and still they kissed, as their bodies together moved as one, fuelling the fires inside, spilling liquid passion across their thighs.

"I love you," Tara murmured, her lips moving across Willow's but never leaving them.

"I love you-" Willow whispered back, stealing the second it took before her hand went to the back of Tara's head, pulling her down, opening her mouth again to her exploration. Tara let out a carefree groan of delight, her hands clutching at Willow's back, her legs trembling, every part of her body feeling light as a feather, energised like the heart of a thunderstorm, yearning for release. Almost disbelieving of both the racing speed and blinding intensity of the feelings within her, Willow felt herself rise to join Tara, her pleasure needing only the knowledge that it was shared to deluge her.

In a moment of oblivious passion and pure clarity, both women tensed, their hands pressed against smooth skin beaded with sweat, their legs entangled, trembling against each other's centres. Then climax was upon them - wedded moans welled up from within their throats, mingling in their joined mouths, as a single release dawned in two cores, flooding through their joined bodies like a wave washing intertwined lovers on the ocean's shore.

When the waves at last receded, the lovers found themselves in the centre of the bed, their limbs wrapped around each other, held as tightly as could be. Their lips remained pressed together, and after a moment, as one they began to taste each other anew, tongues stirring to life, eyes fluttering open for a glimpse of an answering gaze before closing again, hands beginning new explorations of their bodies.

"My Willow," Tara whispered.

"My Tara," Willow replied, pausing to gaze at her.

"That I am," Tara smiled, "it's official." She trailed her fingertips up Willow's side and over her shoulder, finally reaching up and lightly touching the circlet Willow still wore.

"You can take this off if you want," she said, "once it's accepted, it's yours forever."

"Leave it on," Willow grinned. Tara's mouth turned upwards to an answering grin, and she tenderly kissed her betrothed, tasting her lips like a fine delicacy.

"You are so beautiful," Willow murmured.

"You're a goddess," Tara replied, "my goddess..."

"Yours," Willow smiled, resting her forehead lightly against Tara's, careful not to press too hard as the circlet touched her skin, "all yours... to hold, to kiss, to caress, to taste, to take and play with and devour and be pleasured and sate your insatiable hunger with and... and always, always to love."

"Always," Tara agreed. "All that, huh?"

"Uh-huh," Willow nodded, "all that. So, lover... betrothed... my wife-to-be... how shall I love you now?" She ran the tip of her tongue over her lips, wetting them.

"You said something about insatiable hunger?" Tara purred, stirring her leg between Willow's thighs.

"Ahhh... I did..."

"You've whetted my appetite..."

"I'll do more than that," Willow promised, "I'll..." she trailed off, a sudden expression of confusion clouding her features.

"What?" Tara asked, as her frown turned to shock.

"The Duke!" she exclaimed. "The, the audience, this morning, we-"

"Oh hell!" Tara yelped, scrambling off the bed and reaching for her armour, which had been pushed to the floor at some point.

"Damn damn damn," Willow muttered, "is my battlegear over there?"

"Here," Tara said, tossing the rumpled garments to her, while trying to unpack her bronze breastplate and greaves from the drawers at the same time. Willow was by her side in a moment, gathering her boots, turning her skirt the right way out, shaking the potion and scroll pouches off her belt with one hand while the other packed her notebooks, and the pages Ember had given her, back in with the other.

Half-dressed, something made her pause and turn to Tara, just as Tara left the half-tied laces on her leather and turned to her. For a moment they were unhurried, stepping into each other's reach, arms gentle around each other's waists, lips meeting like clouds in the sky, patient and inevitable, calm and soft.

"My Tara," Willow whispered.

"My Willow," Tara replied. For a moment they hesitated, desire kindling in their gazes.

"We have to go," Willow sighed, as if searching for a way to convince herself otherwise.

"They'll send someone looking for us soon," Tara nodded.

"They'd probably hear strange sounds, and burst right in," Willow added.

"And catch us in the act," Tara agreed.

"We can't."

"I know."

"Goddess I want to."

"Me too..."

They shared one more quiet kiss, then reluctantly parted, and resumed their frenzied attempt to get dressed in some presentable fashion as fast as possible.

-----

Jesye hurried the two women through the corridors of the Palace, carrying Willow's staff and Tara's spear and bow, even as Willow was still adjusting the folds of her top, and Tara was doing up the last of her harness straps, one hand holding her breastplate in place until she got it secured. They finished just in time, as Jesye brought them to a pair of ornate old oak doors, carved with abstract scrollwork along the edges. She handed Tara her bow, Willow her staff, then Tara her spear, the bow having gone onto her back, accepted their profuse thanks with humble grace, and quickly straightened her tunic before straightening and knocking on the oak.

The doors opened from within, and Willow and Tara both froze as dozens of people stood from the seats on either side of a crimson-carpeted aisle and turned towards them. With Jesye's subtle prompting they walked down the aisle, gazing in bewilderment at the crowd. Tryptin and the Amazons were there, to a man smiling with pride, and Ember, next to Tryptin - Willow noticed her eyes flicker to the circlet still on her brow, and the older sorceress raised her eyebrows and beamed after whispering a question to Tryptin and receiving a nod in reply. On Ember's other side were Cyan and Sirillia, and the three lightning sorceresses from the Zann Esu delegation, with half a dozen eminent-looking mages from the university accompanying them. There were a dozen officers from the barracks, some that Tara had spoken with now and then, some she merely knew by sight; Myrreon, resplendent in his colourful Vizjerei robes, Zan and Ocean, similarly attired, on either side of him. Tara saw another familiar face, and nudged Willow - both forgot their confusion and nervousness as they saw Amalee wave, with Brydan holding her as she stood on her seat to gain height, his other hand around the waist of Joma, who smiled serenely as she cradled their son in her arms. Solaris and Refash were standing nearby, both in striking blue coats, trimmed with gold, and matching turbans, and beside them was Lissa, beaming.

With only the occasional nudge from Jesye to keep them moving, they reached the end of the aisle, where the Duke himself stood, the Duchess at his side, and an advisor of some stature, to judge by his elaborate attire, on his other side. Behind them were a pair of guards, and to Willow and Tara's surprise, to the Duchess's side stood Lindia, looking like she had just ridden in, still in the same leather outfit she wore in the wilderness. She gave the couple a wink, but otherwise remained impassive.

"Lady Tara, warrior of the Amazon Nation," the Duke said in a loud, clear voice, "Lady Willow, sorceress of the Zann Esu-" the advisor glanced at Willow's circlet and murmured something, "and of the Amazon Nation also," the Duke went on, barely missing a beat, "as Duke of this city and realm, and Regent of Westmarch, I greet you in honour." And he bowed, not the bow of a lord to a guest, but a deep bow of respect. Taken aback, Willow and Tara exchanged glanced, before hastily returning the Duke's bow, bending low themselves as he had done.

"Three days ago," the Duke continued, "you two, alone, confronted a foe the likes of which has not been seen in Westmarch since the days of legend, a captain in the legions of the burning hells, such as would strike fear into an army, and threatened to reduce our proud city, this realm, and perhaps more, to ruin and chaos. Let it be known," he raised his voice slightly, addressing the crowd, "that Lady Tara and Lady Willow faced this foe with the courage, purpose and prowess of true valour. That they confronted this great enemy, and cast it down into the pit from which it was spawned. Let their deeds live in legend."

He paused as a cheer rose from the assembled audience. Willow and Tara again exchanged glanced, neither able to muster a coherent thought. When they turned their attention back to the Duke, the advisor had produced a cushion on which were two glimmering rings. The Duke took them, one in each hand, and held them for the gathering to see.

"By the power invested in my as Duke and Regent to the line of kings," he said, "from this day forth, I decree that Lady Tara and Lady Willow be invested as Knights Lioness of Westmarch. With the blessings of this realm," he held the two rings out to Willow and Tara, "may you bring honour to this ancient order."

Acting purely on instinct both women reached out and took the rings from the Duke's hands. They turned to each other, holding the slim bands of gold up, staring at them. Tara saw, engraved in masterful detail, the shield of a knightly order, a lioness stern and defiant above the heraldry. Around the band, in an elaborate hand, was carved 'Tara, Warrior of the Amazon Nation'. Glancing at the matching ring in Willow's hands, her keen eyes could just make out 'Willow, Zann Esu' engraved there.

Her eyes met Willow's, and in that moment all else fell away. Without realising it she brought her hands to Willow's, gently pressing the ring into her palm, accepting Willow's in return. She closed her hand around it, then lifted it in her fingertips. Willow held out her hand, ready. The entire hall seemed to hold its breath as Tara slipped the ring onto Willow's middle finger. Then it was Willow's turn - she lifted the ring from her palm, gently held Tara's hand, and stared into her fathomless gaze as she put the ring onto Tara's finger.

The hall erupted with applause, but Willow and Tara remained lost in each other. Each taking a step forward, then stood face to face, a fraction of an inch between them. They dimly registered what was going on around them: the Duke leading the applause with stately dignity, Tryptin and the Amazons singing a victorious salute in High Amazonian, Amalee clapping and bouncing with delight, Ember's face streaked with proud tears... but they had eyes only for each other.

"I love you, my Willow," Tara whispered. Her lips remained parted a fraction, hoping.

"I love you, my Tara," Willow replied. She tilted her head back a little, the lift of her chin inviting. Their arms went around one another, their eyes closed, and once more, they kissed.

-----

"All else is transitory; the time will come when even the gods fade away. But love endures. Cherish love; nurture it, protect it, rejoice in its coming. Be true to love. And should any being, be they man or woman, demon or god, seek to take from you that which you love, defy them. For love gives you that power."

-Athulua, Goddess of the Amazons

Post subject: Hellebore wallpaper
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:29 pm 
Hi again... if I may just pop up for a second in the wake of the final chapter, this week while I was writing I put my mediocre artistic skills to work cutting and pasting and tracing and colouring and panicking, and created this:

home.swiftdsl.com.au/~ott...lpaper.jpg

This 800x600 wallpaper shows my best approximation of Willow in her Zann Esu battlegear, and Tara in her Amazon armour. Enjoy :)

Post subject: Re: FIC: Hellebore (chapter 67, final chapter)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:55 pm 
Hi Artemis :wave

I feel sad seeing Hellebore ending, knowing that I won't have the pleasure of coming here to the board to find new updates of this story. I think I'll really miss following your Amazon and Sorceress adventures :sob

But at the same time I know that all things must come to an end and I think you managed to end this story beautifully :applause

This whole chapter left a huge smile on my face, and a warm feeling in my heart :grin

And of course I'm hoping you'll write another W/T fic sometime soon :bounce Please? :pray

Or maybe you could pick up "who is Tara Maclay?" from where you left?

Anyway what I'm trying to say is that it was a real pleasure to read your story :grin

Thank you for a really great fic :pinky

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die.

The in between is mine.

I am mine!" - Pearl Jam

Post subject: Re: Hellebore wallpaper
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:19 pm 
:bow

That was the greatest last chapter I have read in ages.

It was also the greatest AU I have read in ages. Every single moment of the story was great.

One more thing...

THEY'RE GETTING MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!:bounce

Sincerely,

:flower BWR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:30 pm 
Okay - I was just going to comment on the latest, absolutely fantastic chapter when I realized the subject said Re: Hellebore wallpaper - so I had to check that out. That is totally cool :bounce

I'm really just grinning like a fool. That was just amazing - the proposal, the meeting with the Duke (although, that was the longest hour I've ever... um... read :glasses ). It has been a great adventure and I of course hope you do get around to a sequel eventually. This is such a great W/T world you have created. Besides we just *have* to see Willow go to the Amazon Isles.

-shuyaku

Oh God, Willow—you’re giving me the gift of Karen Carpenter. Just when I think I grasp the full extent of your love." - Tara

"Why do birds suddenly appear? It’s because, you are queer…" - Willow (Gods Served and Abandoned by AntigoneUnbound)

Post subject: Brilliant!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:49 pm 
I have this nasty habit, Chris, of reading the update before I read your preliminary notes and well, I never noticed that this was in fact the last chapter of your terrific story.

I can't tell you of the shock , although I expected an end somewhere along the chapters.

It makes me sad, yet I'm thrilled with the way things ended, Ember's trust, which is a remarkable act of making Willow a free fully-fledged sorceress.

She's viewed as an equal, and with that she's entrusted with the most powerful 'weapon' _or parts of it_.

Eponin's offering is most unexpected as well, yet very well timed! I was indeed wondering, ever since Tara was admitted into the Zann Esu as a trustful outsider/ally, if Willow would receive such Amazonian treatment.

The private proposal was very moving, the ceremonial words and the lovemaking, they had to do it, even if it meant being late to the Duke's meeting.

I think the circlet, was a brilliant gesture, and I can see Willow wearing it beautifully.

At last the praise of their actions by the Duke and all those present was a perfect ending! The exchange of the rings another token of their betrothal as well. BRAVO!

I can't wait til they reach the Isles, I know it's going to be a while before that happening, and I'm eagerly expecting your short stories, because I'm not that ready to let go of the world you created.

Oh and as a final note, I really LOVED the wallpaper, LOVED (still do) the outfits, especially Willow's she looks amazing! The Zann Esu have really good taste in their uniforms! YUMM!

Oh and of course Tara's (but that one we've already seen it on another occasion!) I thought she wore a skirt or small shorts, nevertheless Love the outfit! But, in all, I'm more partial to Willow's she looks very exotic and well..! :heart

Thank you for creating such a masterpiece!

~Arwen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:53 pm 
Noticed a couple of things about that sketch; Willow's top reveals more than I thought it would due to the diagonals (and looks mighty impractical. Tara looks a bit 'big' or verrry muscled :) .

Silverstrike looks odd, probably because I was imagining a 'normal' spear. Don't you want the arrows-holder the other way around on Tara? Bit difficult to draw a second arrow while holding the bow... besides the thing hangs waaaay lower then I guessed. Was thinking more about Legolas who had his arrows on his back I think. Ah well, guess that goes to show that reading generates lots of imagination ;)

What is that backdrop btw? Entsteig or Hellebore ?

Back to the regular program, heh...

I kept thinking 'time...time!!' during the first part of the chapter. It was rather obvious they would miss their appointment without outside help/pushing :lol . As far as I know one hour is about the absolute minimum most women need to get ready for such an event, heh...

It's good to see they still like each other though :) . Very interesting to see both parental figures (Eponin, Ember) trusting Tara and Willow so much with important stuff. Hmm... which reminds me, we don't know what is in that letter Willow got from the library/university... right? Nice line from Tara : "Willow, have you ever, in your entire life, lost a book?".. duuuh :lol . Willow never abused any magic as near as I can tell, she used some magic in a rather dangerous attempt to hold a demon... thats not abuse. Can't see Willow making the horrible mistakes she appearantly is afraid of, she'll be alright :)

The proposal ceremony was cute and touching (though time was a bit short for it;-), had to read the familly-restored thing three times to understand... but I managed ;) I think I figured out why the 1-year wait between proposing and actual marriage; in their current state they would jump onto each other before the marriage ceremony finished :)

I pretty much guessed that there would be some celebration of sorts when they got the invite. For some reason I figured that was obvious, can't pin-point why exactly. I can easily imagine the scene in the big hall, can't remember for the life of me where I have seen such a scene however.

Did either Tara or Willow know that Solari was around ? They didn't seem that surprised, maybe a bit overwhelmed :) . strike that, read the name wrong :lol . Interesting to see Amalee and familly there, someone must have done some research for that ceremony.

Speaking of research, what is the meaning of the order-thingie they received ? It was of course neat they got to give each other rings this way. Everybody can see that Willow is also amazone now, yet hardly anybody knows the reverse... (Tara being Zan-Esu somewhat).

It's good to see that knowledgable people acknowledge that Willow and Tara did a brave thing in fighting Shadai as they did. Myrron will probably have lots of questions for Willow during her study-time with him :) .

Enough ranting & raving from me for now, rest assured that I had lotsa fun reading this story!

edited to add: funny how in re-reading this story the idea of Shadai hiding in Willow becomes more obvious, a bit anyway :)

Willow and Tara beating Shadai somewhat easily (yes I know the spell is dangerous, Willow didn't seem to suffer much except exhaustion though) leaves me wondering how difficult other demons could be for fully trained sourceresses like Ember (ok, an Ember using cold magic preferably;-).

Speaking of Ember, why did she send Willow to Galt (necromancing future teller) ? To see what would happen now that Willow had faced Shadai in the library ?? That vision did show the worst possible second from the entire scene in that tower now didn't it ? A second later would have shown the power leaving Tara via her spear.. evil vision.. :lol

even more added...

Are seal-bearers/keepers allowed to read the book of which they keep the seal ? That would combine the knowledge which the seal intends to keep seperate wouldn't it ? I wonder about that 'cos Willow will likely read the pages she has eventually I think she'll want to read the entire journal as well. Understanding what she saw at the monastary.. besides she's curious ;-)

Someone on the Zan Esu council must be a speed-reader because to determine what section to 'seal-of' you got to read the book first :)

Besides, Moac was appearantly just a smart man applying theory he knew and going with it. It's just that nobody else has wanted to construct such a tower, probably to much time-spend vs. reward. Much easier to summon a demon to take your revenge on the world :lol

P.S. How did you come up with the amazonian wedding stuff ? It was lovely to ready.

Grimmy :wave

--
"You hurt Tara," Willow said too calmly. "The last one who tried that was a god. I made her regret it." -- Unexpected Consequences by Lisa of Nine

Edited by: Grimlock72 at: 6/27/04 3:04 pm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:54 pm 
Well hello Chris!

Like I've said before, my words can't do this amazing story justice. I just wanted to thank you for this incredible journey. You've evoked emotions in me that have been dormant far too long. I never new I could have so many feelings just from reading a story. But this was not just "a story". It was an adventure and a love story and so much more!

Thank you for sharing your amazing talents with us. Hopefully you will gift us with another tale some day.

Okay, I'm drying my happy tears now -- such a beautiful ending. I was totally blown away.

Now on a lighter note, I wanted to let you know that when I began your story, you made it sound so inviting, that I wished there would have been a covered wagon dealership, because I would have given anything to have one! Oh my, so insatiable. :eyebrow

Anyway, thanks again. When I have time, this is probably one story I'll keep coming back to and reading over and over.

Loved the wallpaper!

Hope to see something else from you soon!

Wimpy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:10 pm 
I followed this story from the very beginning and, for a long time when I had absolutely no free time whatsover, I still managed to come to the Pens and look for its updates. I'm sorry I didn't give you as much feedback as you deserved, but I assure you that each single chapter was read and enjoyed like very few things I've ever read in my life.

And the wallpaper is already on my desktop to honor the end of such a wonderful time.

Thank you, Chris.

--------------------------
"She had tasted Willow on her tongue, and she had worn Willow on her skin. There wasn't a shower in the world that could have washed that away." (Terra Firma, by Tulipp)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:46 pm 
This story was such a joy to read and I shall miss following its updates. I loved the ending and I hope that this is not the last we get to read about Willow and Tara the Amazons. Thank you Chris for sharing this with us and I hope to see more on the board from you someday after you have taken a much deserved rest :)

It's a moo point. It's like a cow's opinion. It's moo.
Words of wisdom from 'Friends'

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:07 pm 
:sob its over so sad... great story chris... i love it... i refused to leave the house when i started reading. I hope to see more in the future... love the wallpaper 2...:banana

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:42 pm 
Chris,

Wow, thanks for the incredible ride. Though I clearly never wanted to see it end, I love the way you tied everything up. You're an amazing writer in so many ways. You really wove an incredible world of love, fantasy and adventure and it was a joy to watch Willow and Tara play in it. And good god woman, you write sex scenes like nobody else's business. I look forward to reading this again in the near future as well as seeing more fiction from you (please, please, please). Great job with the cover art you posted as well!

:peace

-pipsberg

"We live our lives, do whatever we do, and then we sleep - it's as simple and ordinary as that."

Michael Cunningham, The Hours

Post subject: Re: A lovely ending
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:10 am 
Chris,

This was a delightful ending to a wonderful story. Count me among the kittens who truly hope that you'll revisit this world in future writings. I'd love to be privvy to more W/T adventures; I'd love to learn more about Elizabeth; and I'm kinda hoping you might see fit to include Anya somewhere along the way--I can really see her in this world. Mostly, I'd like to see W/T's arrival on the Amazon isles and their wedding.

And now, one little bone to pick. Lemme see if I got this right: W/T made love, discussed their future, showered, ate, got betrothed, and made love again (quickly), and they did all this in one hour?!?! No wonder they've been able to accomplish so much in their young lives; clearly they've found a way to slow time down... :)

I will so miss this fic, Chris. Thank you for creating such a wonderfully vivid world peopled by such extraordinary characters. They genesis may have been BTVS and Diablo, but the world was yours.

--blue

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:46 am 
Chris-

Thanks for such a fantastic story! I've enjoyed reading it for all this time I'm sad to see it go.

Thanks again for creating such a great AU world and characters. Hopefully we'll get to see them all again sometime soon.

hermitstull

"I was feared and worshiped across the mortal globe. At now I'm stuck at Sunnydale High. Mortal. Child. And I'm failing Math." Anya in Dopplegangland

Post subject: Re: FIC: Hellebore (AU)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:01 pm 
Well, here I am finally leaving feedback. :blush I am sorry, Chris. I've been reading and enjoying all along though. And can I just say, I was well and truly choked up by the final quote from Athalua. The whole story was just wonderfully crafted and a joy to read! You brought so many of the characters to full and vivid life and told a gripping tale full of twists and turns too. I seem to remember you mentioning something about a sequel in an email we exchanged. I hope that is still a possibility! Great job, Chris!! Thanks so much for sharing this!! :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

My second favorite household chore is ironing. My first being hitting my head on the top bunk bed until I faint. -Erma Bombeck

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:22 am 
Chris,

I actually read this update immediately but didn't have time to comment right then. And now it's days later and I'm just getting there.

I'll make it short: This chapter, like the entire story, was wonderful! I love the "final bow" character array in the last scene. It was great to finally have my ticker tape parade happen and to have everyone who was important from the story (ok, no Solari) there. And the bethrothal was of course expected and great.

It seems to me that there is plenty of landscape for further adventures of our girls if you so choose and I'm pretty sure you could scare up some devoted readers.

Thanks for all your wonderful hard work. Debra

Oppose the Federal Marriage Amendment

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:10 am 
Hello everyone. Firstly, again, I want to give a big thank you to all of you for leaving feedback. I enjoy writing on its own merits, but I enjoy plenty of things that don't achieve much; when you guys and gals let me know you're enjoying my stories, I feel like I've done something worthwhile, and that's an incredible gift from you all. Thank you.

A couple of other things I'll get out of the way now. As I've said several times before, while Hellebore is now over, the story of Willow and Tara in the world of Sanctuary certainly isn't. That's even more certain now than it was before - since I finally finished writing this, it seems my brain has been freed up to give more thought to what comes next, and all sorts of ideas are popping up :) The first Hellebore-based short story has been written - actually, it has been for some time, but seeing as it happens after Hellebore I didn't want to preempt myself, and I think it could do with an edit. But it'll be posted here, in this thread, in the next couple of weeks.

(Note to Moderators Fantasticoes: please don't shift the thread to the archives yet :) )

That story is called 'The Outfit', and it's... well, not big on plot :) Among other things, it's my little tribute to Debra's 'Please: The Series'. I'll leave the rest to your imaginations :)

Also - if I may indulge in a little blatant self-promotion - this monday I'll be posting the first chapter of my new story. It won't be anything like Hellebore - shorter, hopefully cuter and funnier, and you won't have to be 18 or over to read it :) I hope you'll enjoy it nonetheless. Naturally, it features new incarnations of Willow and Tara, and this time... so far as I know, they've never been incarnated like this before :)

Now with that out of the way, on to all your lovely feedback:

sabina: Well, your hopes are half-fulfilled, I do have a new story in the works. Unfortunately, Who Is Tara Maclay doesn't look likely to get picked up anytime soon. In retrospect, I probably started writing and posting it too quickly after thinking of the basic idea. I could finish it, but I'm sure the remainder would just come out, well, mechanical, for want of a better term - I don't have a sense of it being a story that has anything to offer from me, the way I do with others. So, with regrets, it's pretty much retired indefinitely. Sorry about that. But I'm glad you enjoyed Hellebore :)

BWR: Thanks :) Yep, marriage is on the horizon. I actually wondered whether it was too soon to have them get engaged like that, it being just over a month since they first met :) but then, well, it's Willow and Tara. And the truth is, they're in a world where being married young is the norm - not that either of them would feel pressured to formalise their relationship just because of anyone else's expectations, but I think it's clear to both of them that this is what they want, and what's right. I'm glad it evidently felt that way to you too :)

shuyaku: We will see Willow go to the Amazon Isles, I promise :) And yes, that was a long hour... they did keep the Duke waiting a bit, but he was in a good mood, having had his dukedom saved and all, so no-one complained :)

Arwen: That's quite true, Ember does trust Willow to an unusual degree. But then, she always did - she knew her young student was special :) What Willow has now - once she decyphers it, which will be a task in itself - isn't quite end-of-the-world power, as it's only a small part of the journal. But it will offer some unique insights into elemental magic, and help Willow develop her talents in plenty of ways. Once the sequel is underway, I'm sure at some point we'll see how she's grown as a spellcaster :)

Grimlock: It's okay, Willow's not about to pop out of her top :) Her and Tara's bodies are almost direct copies of Diablo art, from the game manual, which also explains why Tara's quiver is slung so low - like you say, I'd be inclined to have it up on her back. As for her being 'big', if you mean in the chest region, she's actually a substantial reduction compared to the original Diablo Amazon - my god that woman must have trouble standing upright :) Either that, or she's got enough vacant space in her chestplate for a couple of roast chickens, in case she feels peckish. The artists who worked on Diablo were very good, but realism wasn't always their top concern :)

The spear was my addition (the original had a shield on her back, and presumably a javelin stashed somewhere) - I'd always pictured it as looking unusual, and having a curved blade. I'm sure that made it into the story somewhere way back in the early chapters. It's an unusual design, from an earlier, more artistic and less pragmatic age of weaponry. The backdrop is intended to be the Kotram monastery, but in fact it's the ruins of Coventry Cathedral. For Diablo, any religious-looking ruined building is appropriate :)

It's true that Willow has never abused magic. What she did with the banishing spell could be best called 'headstrong', I think. It was a risk - whether it was brave or foolhardy depends largely on whether the person deciding is cautious or adventurous. Neither point of view is necessarily wrong, though the fact that Willow was in mortal danger is a big factor - I'm sure none of the Zann Esu Council believe she'd take such a risk just out of curiosity. That letter from the university, by the way, was just a letter, nothing more. She sent letters of introduction to several mages around the city when she arrived - Myrreon, by way of his position and learning, is the most important, but there are others around the place that Willow can learn from. It's the same kind of thing she thought was going on when she went to meet Gelt, only it's unlikely the university has a necromancer on its staff :)

I don't know if it's what you were imagining, but the genesis of the final scene came to me from Star Wars. I was wondering (a long while ago - I like to have the end of a story planned well in advance) how to finish it properly, and for no reason the medal ceremony popped into my head. And that seemed fitting - a big room full of people, all Willow and Tara's friends and allies (or at least most of them), and they get medals, or close approximations thereof :) And while it's an ending, it's not a *final* ending, which is something I wanted - to have a strong feeling that there's more to tell. The Knights Lioness are, as the name suggests, an order for women who've proven themselves notably valorous in the service of Westmarch and its people. There's a bunch of orders of knights, and the Lioness are the highest for women - you have to pretty much save the city to get in. It never came up in the story, but Lindia is also a Knight Lioness (that's also the kind of pun she'd appreciate :) ). The male equivalent is the Order of the Lion, from which the Duke takes his emblem, the lion. Obviously, the society being what it is, male knights are much more common than female, but there's no distinction in terms of rank or prestige between the Lion and Lioness orders.

The meaning of the order is essentially that Willow and Tara can expect a certain degree of respect from the rulers and authorities of Westmarch's various city-states. Willow and Tara have, so far, been treated with respect by the various nobles they've encountered (von Karlin excepted, obviously), thanks to the importance of the Amazon Nation and Zann Esu Order, but in more isolated areas Amazons and sorceresses aren't necessarily recognised as being worthy of more respect than anyone else. But there isn't a court in Westmarch that would show disrespect to a Knight - if you insult one, you insult all of them. It's like a kind of nobility, except that a Knighthood can only be earned by bravery, never inherited or given for political reasons. That gives the title a certain mystique, and even nobles regard knights with a little awe.

Willow and Tara will probably find they have Lissa to thank for rounding up all their friends for the knighthood ceremony, with help from Jesye and Tryptin. Lissa's a busy girl, and not much escapes her notice :)

Shadai's defeat was easy, but only because Willow and Tara were in the right place at the right time. Like they said, if you get a demon right after it's manifested itself, it hasn't had time to stabilise itself, and it's vulnerable - that's what they took advantage of. In retrospect, Shadai's gambit of hiding inside Willow meant that, wherever she popped up, Willow would be there to attack her. A calculated risk from the demon's point of view. It's also worth noting that Willow and Tara's combined spell was more powerful than either would be capable of alone - Willow normally has to concentrate on shaping her spell as well as drawing power, and Tara can't access as much raw power as Willow's primal elemental magic (though, using lightning, she can strike a single target harder most of the time - ice is more suited to being used against multiple targets). If Ember faced Shadai, that soon after she'd manifested, she would have banished her too. Ember's one of a very small number of people who've defeated a more powerful demon than Shadai.

Why Ember sent Willow to Gelt... intuition, mainly. I think she had a niggling suspicion that something was amiss, but couldn't put her finger on it exactly. Gelt, like all his priesthood, has strange and sometimes frightening methods of doing things, but he's got a way of helping matters, even if it doesn't seem like it at the time. Not a lot is known about necromancy, even by the Zann Esu - as was suggested, Gelt is a personal acquaintance of Ember's, not an official ally of the sorceresses. The Council knows about him, and his order to some extent, but are wary of them at best. As for the vision itself, Gelt's brand of foresight is based on choices and likelihoods, as he said - even for Willow and Tara, trusting each other that much to complete the spell was beyond Gelt's ability to foresee, thus he could only give Willow the vision up to that point, not beyond. Definitely not a kind experience, but as it turned out, it helped - that's necromancers for you :)

You're right, Seal-bearers aren't allowed to read the books their Seals come from, as it'd defeat the purpose of the things. Which means Willow won't be able to ever go to the Zann Esu's vaults and check out Moac's journal - but I think she'll be able to shrug off the disappointment. After all, if it were the other way around, she still wouldn't get the whole picture - no-one but the Seal-bearer is allowed to read the Seal. And this way she's got the part that refers to elemental magic - I think she'll be happy with that. She is curious, but she knows (now more than ever) that curiosity has its place, and doesn't always take priority over everything else. Technically, Ember is the Seal-bearer - only Ember and Cyan know otherwise - and they're trusting Willow not to try to see the Journal, but I don't think that trust is misplaced.

As for how they got the Seal out so quickly, even without deciphering the book, they could get the gist of what it meant. And between Ember and the delegation, they know a lot more about reading ancient manuscripts than Willow does. It might have taken longer to separate the Seal, but fortunately Moac was a tidy scholar, and explored and documented one avenue of research at a time. Moac was more than just smart though - he was Horazon's apprentice, and Horazon was a mage beyond any other, even (in the end) his nemesis Bartuc, allied with all his demon buddies. Between Horazon's disappearances and Moac's presumbed death, the only remaining records of their knowledge are Moac's journal, now safely in the hands of the Zann Esu, and Horazon's journal, lost in the ether along with the rest of the Arcane Sanctuary. And some would argue that Moac outdid his master, and even Horazon couldn't have built Hellebore.

Lastly, the Amazon wedding stuff, I just made up on the spot. I have no idea where the notion came from for Tara to shrug off her robe, she just did it on her own :) And, I owe you a special thanks for all your feedback, from beginning to end :)

Wimpy: If it's any consolation, I'm sure this won't be the last time Willow and Tara hit the road in a covered wagon :) Thanks :)

sheila: Thanks :) I'm glad you liked the wallpaper too - I wish I had more artistic talent :)

Puff: Well, my 'much-deserved rest' is going to consist of writing other kinds of stories for a while, so you won't have to wait too long for something new :) I have this odd way of relaxing, by just doing something different. In fact, Hellebore was originally going to be just a break from the sci-fi of TARA, and I got carried away with it :)

WickedReds: Thanks :)

Pipsberg: Thank you. It's not actually 'woman' though :) Which just goes to show, I owe a big thanks to all the hundreds of fanfic authors whose stories I've read. I'm sure a fair bit of writing sex scenes comes from feelings that are universal, but there's no denying, when writing lesbian sex scenes I owe a lot to what I've read. I'm pleased it evidently was convincing :)

babyblue: Well, like I said above, it took a little more than an hour :) The sequel will of course be about Willow and Tara first a foremost, but it'll also include others as lead characters, and yes, Elisabeth will be one of them. As will Anya, after a fashion - she may be a bit different to how she appeared on TV. She always was a *bit* catty, but in this case... :) And there'll be others as well. But it'll be Willow and Tara the story follows from beginning to end.

hermitstull: Thank you :)

TromDeGrey: Good to hear from you. Don't mind not leaving feedback until now, I'm just glad you were enjoying the story :)

Debra: Thanks :) I remember mentioning the first short story to you in private a while ago; I'm sorry to have made you wait this long, and now a little longer while I edit :) I enjoyed having all the characters show up; naturally Solari couldn't be there, unfortunately, and I'd have liked to have Sergeant Sheerson, Tara's sergeant, there as well, but he had to be off with the expeditionary force. Life goes on, even when there's knighthoods being handed out :) There's definitely lots of landscape to explore - literally, as well as in other terms. The Diablo world map is half an A4 page, and the space between Kingsport and Duncraig is about half an inch on that :) There's a lot more world to see, and I intend to make sure Willow and Tara get to see it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:24 am 
Hi Chris!

I'm so excited -- you already have a new story on the way!! Big yay!

More covered wagon activities, huh? Just give me something to hold onto, coz I know you're going to take us on a wild ride!!

Can't wait!

Wimpy

"There was plenty of magic." ~ Tara

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:43 pm 
The good thing about long stories like these is that they setup an entire world for the story to play in. I like exploring such worlds :)

Too bad that Willow can only read 20 pages of Moac's journal and discuss those pages with virtually no-one. She would be better of keeping that Seal closed. After all it's unlikely Willow would want to build another Hellebore since she's already been in one :lol Now that will be some story to tell if she'll ever become a mentor herself. I think they discussed what they both wanted to do in the future, got to re-read that part...

Did you plan on Shadai hiding in Willow far in advance ? I wonder because the story doesn't contradict it but it doesn't exactly hint to it either. I should know because I re-read most of it, started with one chapter I wanted to re-read... end up with most of the story :P .

I still don't follow how Shadai was able to create a Rod of Command from inside Willow without Willow noticing. Unless the Zan Esu knowledge on such rods isn't acurate it would require a massive/huge power-spike to create such a thing.

I can understand Shadai being difficult to detect while quietly hiding inside Willow... but when wielding such powers... how come that stayed undetected ?? Keeps nagging me... and I haven't figured out a way around it yet. Well unless Shadai somehow influenced Willow into not being suspicious...hmm..

I wondered if Lindia was a Lioness Knight by birthtright or merit, but it seems it actually has to be earned so it can't be birthright :)

Yeah this story will have my thinking about bits for a while...

Grimmy

--

Edited by: Grimlock72 at: 7/4/04 2:48 am

Post subject: Re: FIC: Hellebore
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:51 pm 
Amazing fic. I like how their reward for defeating Shadia was acceptance of Tara by the Zann Esu and Willow as an amazon. It was the best reward they could get. You did an excellent job evoking Willow and tara in such an alien landscape. I'm a fan of both Diablo 2 and Willow/Tara so this incorporated two of my favorite things. I look forward to your future fics.

Thanks for a great year of Hellebore. It was heaven. :pride

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:47 am 
Hello again. I'm just about to post the first chapter of my new story, but some feedback first.

Wimpy: I'm sure I can fit covered wagons in there somewhere. There's going to be a lot of travelling in Children of the Reckoning - I intend to cover all the ground of the Diablo world that I didn't get anywhere near this time around :) The Kingsway Highlands, between Kingsport and Duncraig, is about 1/100th of the whole map of Sanctuary. So deifinitely covered wagons, in addition to walking, horses, boats, and goddess knows what else :)

Grimlock: The Seal will be valuable to Willow - true she can't discuss it with anyone (other than Tara - I don't think Ember would expect Willow to keep secrets from Tara if there was a pressing reason for her to know something from the Seal pages), but she can apply what she reads. It is, after all, the chapter dealing with elemental magic, Willow's specialty - I think she'll improve her powers a great deal from reading it.

I'd planned Shadai being hidden within Willow all along - that was the original idea for the story. But I didn't want to drop any great hints at it, after all the whole point was to keep Willow from figuring it out :) Creating the Rod of Command was one of those things that isn't very well understood, seeing as it's very deeply entrenched within demonic magic. What's known about them is largely second-hand. I'd say, though, that creating one doesn't require raw power from a demon, so much as for the demon to expend a great deal of subtly-constructed magic that takes a long time to be rebuilt. In the same way that Shadai could reach out and influence minds attuned to herself - other demons and her followers - she was able to cause the Rod to be created without alerting Willow.

Being able to detect Shadai - bringing the Rod into being, or influencing her demon minions - would have required some kind of connection to demonic magic on Willow's part. There's two ways to do that - practice it directly, which no sorceress would dare, or use very complex spells to detect it. Sadly, that kind of magic is still beyond Willow's abilities. Demons are *very* good at hiding, misdirection, concealing themselves and their actions - lying, basically. It's part of what they are, and Shadai is a very strong demon, with very good control of her magic.

sam7777: Thanks :) I hope the sequel, when it comes around, doesn't disappoint :)

Lindia is indeed a Knight by way of her courage in battle. She's led an eventful life :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:46 am 
I really enjoyed this story. It was a great surprise when it turned out that Shadai was within Willow, :shock Though it did make a lot of things that had happened make sense. It's a mark of a great twist in the story that after finishing it you can reread the story and parts that hadn't seemed important before suddenly take on a new significance.

Looking forward to :read the sequel and any other stories you might write.

What other people think of me is none of my business - Ellen Degeneres

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 810 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next