The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 454 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fic - Come Away With Me
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 6:50 pm 
Wow!

Can i just say that i was blown away by this fic :) It's refreshing, and i hope you update it soon. Is Tara a writer? Will we find out soon. Loved it :)

-Will

"Hear that baby? You're my always."

"well, you know, when you play a lesbian witch you've gotta get killed in this fun kind of exciting way, so the heart was the way to go..."

"we have the most amazing fans though they LOVE us."

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 7:25 pm 
You know, I hadn't thought of making Tara a writer but, now that you mention it, I will consider the idea....see if the story takes me there. And thanks ever so much for the feedback. I was worried about posting it. I've never really written before and this is my first attempt. I wish I was as good as Rane, Sass or Lu.

Love is tricky. It is never mundane or daily. You can never get used to it. You have to walk with it, then let it walk with you. You can never balk. It moves you like the tide. It takes you out to sea then lays you on the beach again. Today's struggling pain is the foundation for a certain stride through the heavens. You can run from it but you can never say no. It includes everyone."--Amy Tan "The Hundred Secret Senses"

Post subject: Fic - Come Away With Me
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 7:30 pm 
Title: Come Away With Me
Disclaimer: I don’t own any of the gentle souls in this fic, though god knows I wish I knew them….Mutant Enemy and that wanker Joss Whedon get credit for their creation. I’m just fantasizing a little.
Rating: Hmmm…good question…let’s be safe and say PG-13, though no smut will ever be involved here. I would never in good conscience inflict my smut ineptness on good Kittens
Spoilers: Well, none that I know of. This is just my little world. Very AU.
Summary: Willow bumps into this amazing blonde at a local coffee shop on South Street (Philly). Her preoccupation with jazz chanteuses leads to some interesting daydreams. Romance ensues, of course.
Copyright information: All characters are copyright of Mutant Enemy, the story itself is copyright property of Dark Delight Scriptions and may not be reproduced or used in any manner without the express permission of the author. Copyright infringement is a federal offense and infractions will be prosecuted to the fullest intent of the law.

Get comfy, folks…a good soft chair and a nice cuppa. This one will be rather relaxing for a change.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter One: The Nearness of You

A repetitious and sharp clickity-clack of her fingers on the laptop keys made an interesting counterpoint to the soft swishing of rain on the windows of the two story coffee shop off of South Street and Bainbridge that was her favourite haunt. Steam from a rather large cup of cappuccino fogged the window closest to her table, blurring her view of pedestrians below scurrying for cover from the sudden afternoon downpour. Willow stretched languidly, covering her mouth with the back of her hand to stifle a yawn. She’d been in Philadelphia for a few weeks but her body hadn’t quite gotten used to the humidity or the three hour time change. Her parents had given her the obligatory warning about the crime rate in Philly but Willow figured that, after living in Sunnydale, anyplace other than it was more exciting. A slow smile crossed her face as she remembered the rather lame argument that her best friend, Buffy had tried to make in an attempt to keep her from moving halfway across the continent.

“How can you be leaving me?! Hello! Xander is nice but he’s not so good with the girl talk…and the helpful advice…did I mention that you’ll be 2000 miles away…without ME?!” Buffy babbled, hitting minor panic mode.

Willow sighed deeply. “Buffy, it’s not like you even need me. You’ve got Riley and Xander and Giles. Even Anya is helpful...umm…well when she wants to be.” She chuckled at that last bit, knowing that Anya would insist on compensation for her efforts. Apparently she learned the lessons of capitalism all to well.

“But that’s not the same. You know that sharing with Anya can be evil. Besides, won’t you miss our Mocha Madness days at the Espresso Pump? Who else will Bronze it with us on Wednesday nights?” Buffy was employing the whole “Innocent Batting of Eyelashes” routine that normally would have worked in reinforcing the Two Pronged Guilt Trip attack that she was famous for. However, Willow had wanted…no, needed…a change for some time now. She knew that Buffy would take her absence the hardest but Willow felt that it was about time that she does something for herself. In her opinion, having a little alone time was the best way to do that.

“We all gotta grow up sometime, Buffy. I think it’s my turn to leave the nest,” Willow smiled wryly. Buffy’s reply was to pout at her throughout the going away party at the Bronze that Giles has arranged in her honor. “She’ll get over it,” Willow mused. “We all just need a little time apart.” Rolling her eyes in consternation, she realized that somehow she had managed to sound just like her mother.

Checking the battery life in her portable mini-disc player on the table next to her laptop, Willow glanced briefly at the black Movado on her wrist. It was an impulse buy, sure, but she couldn’t resist celebrating her new job with Lockheed Martin Technology Group. Frowning slightly at the growing lateness of the hour, she knew she had to pick up the pace and finish the last few lines of her program or she’d get stuck in the hideous rush hour crush at the El station. But somehow….somehow she just couldn’t get motivated to keep going. The humid warmth of the shop had practically lulled her into drowsiness; the practically empty cappuccino cup seemed to be laughing at her with its very wide mouth, its promise of caffeine-filled energy totally unfulfilled. “Oh well,” Willow grumbled. “May as well get something to eat and some more mocha goodness. It may take a while before I can get outta here.” She was forwarding through the minidisc to a particular song, when a light touch on her shoulder brought her out of her haze of contentment. Willow removed her headphones and found herself staring into the clearest blue eyes she’d ever seen.

“Umm, hi. I was wondering if anyone is sitting in this chair,” the owner of the amazing eyes said softly. Willow was pretty sure that she’d been struck dumb because her mouth was open but no sounds were coming out. The woman’s long blonde hair brushed Willow’s cheek briefly as she leaned down to wave her hand in front of Willow’s startled eyes.

“Hello? Are you ok?” she asked, a concerned frown passing over her delicate features.

Willow’s eyes went wide as she realized how silly she must look. “Oh! Oh, yeah, I’m fine. Sure, you can have the chair…it’s just taking up space here beside me.” She nudged the chair towards the beautiful stranger, unsure of what to say next. Before she knew it, her hand was flying out of its own accord. “I’m Willow, by the way. In case you were wondering…” her voice trailed off, slightly embarrassed at having rambled slightly.

The blonde blushed slightly, a slight smile dancing at the corners of her mouth. “I’m Tara. Um, Tara Maclay,” she extended her hand to Willow and gripping hers lightly.
Willow’s answering grin was as bright as a summer sun. “Glad to meet you, Tara.” She quickly let go of Tara’s hand when she realized that she was staring.

“Um, t-thanks for the use of your chair. S-see you around?”

“Sure! Sure, anytime. I’m always here. It’s not like I don’t have a life or anything, it’s just that I…I really like this place. You know?” Willow knew she was heading straight for a full-on snigglefritz (a Xanderism for her signature babble mode) but just couldn’t seem to prevent it.

Tara seemed to be more amused that annoyed at Willow’s burst of speech. “I l-like it too, actually. It’s kind of cozy.“ She paused, her eyes a mystery. “S-so….I’ll see you around?”

“I sure as hell hope so.” “Yeah, sure. See ya.” Willow watched Tara take the chair to a small table at the opposite corner of the room nearest to another fogged window. She tried to watch Tara out of the corner of her eye but she wasn’t satisfied with the limited view. Willow moved her laptop and chair over, her back to the window slightly so that she could have a relatively unobstructed view of this newcomer. She slid her headphones back onto her ears, pressed the Pause button on the minidisc player and searched through the disc. Upon finding the track she was searching for, Willow pressed play, the first notes of Norah Jones’ remake of “The Nearness of You” winnowing their way into her mind. Norah’s sultry voice was the perfect backdrop for her daydreaming since all Willow was able to do from that moment on was think about this mysterious stranger that literally tapped her on the shoulder and entered her life.

It’s not the pale moon that excites me
That thrills or delights me, Oh no…
It’s just the nearness of you

After Tara had made herself comfortable at her corner table, she reached into a large tote bag and removed a leather eyeglass case. “Wow, she even wears glasses,” Willow noticed. “You know what they say about a girl in specs.” She removed a rather small pair of copper-coloured Eddie Bauer Laguna’s from the case and propped them on the bridge of her rather slim, refined nose. By this time, Willow had completely given up any pretense of doing work. Both elbows were on the table, her head settled between her hands, and total concentration was given over to examining this Tara Maclay in every single detail.

It isn’t your sweet conversation
That brings this sensation, Oh no…
It’s just the nearness of you

When you’re in my arms and I feel you so close to me
All my wildest dreams come true

It seemed that Tara had this way of giving everything she touched a gentle caress; from opening her notebook, to the gentle glide of the pen in her hand across a page. Her glasses had settled on the tip of her nose by this time and this gave Willow a chance to view her profile more closely. Tara had skin as smooth as mother’s milk, a strong yet delicate jawline which was accentuated all the more by full, pouty lips. Just as Willow thought she could not be driven any more to distraction, a loud beeping came from her laptop briefcase. Her PDA alarm had gone off, signifying that it was time for her to catch the R5 to her apartment in Washington’s Crossing, a rather affluent suburb just outside of the Greater Northeast section of Philadelphia. With a heavy sigh and extreme regret, she packed away her laptop and began gathering her things together.

I don’t need soft lights to enchant me
If you’ll only grant me the right
To hold you ever so tight
And to feel in the night
The nearness of you

“You have to admit, Rosenberg. You’re pretty pitiful.” Willow shook her head, chuckling inwardly at her blatant ogling of a complete stranger. “What would you say to her even if you had the chance to talk to her? ‘Hi my name is Willow, you don’t know me, but can I just say that I’d love to just hold you until the world stops moving?’ Oh yes, that would go over REAL well.” Rolling her eyes dramatically, she shut off the minidisc player, threw it into a side pocket of her briefcase and shut it. As Willow wound her way around the maze of tables, she glanced back longingly at the beautiful vision by the corner window. “Till we meet again…er…well hopefully we will.” Turning back to the stairs, she made her way out into the softly falling rain and afternoon rush.

End Chapter One

Love is tricky. It is never mundane or daily. You can never get used to it. You have to walk with it, then let it walk with you. You can never balk. It moves you like the tide. It takes you out to sea then lays you on the beach again. Today's struggling pain is the foundation for a certain stride through the heavens. You can run from it but you can never say no. It includes everyone."--Amy Tan "The Hundred Secret Senses"

Edited by: Kieli at: 6/12/03 1:19 pm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 8:09 pm 
Wow, this looks like it is going to be really romantic. I like the feel of it already. It's always interesting to see our girls outside of Sunnydale. Can't wait to read more!

She's my everything!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 8:18 pm 
First of all, I love Norah Jones and I'm thrilled you're using her in your fic. In fact, I think the song "Seven Years" off her album "Come Away With Me," describes Tara almost perfectly. Music aside, you've set up a really lovely piece here. The ambience is delightful--there's something very light, very gentle about this first encounter. The fact that Willow is mesmerized, the song playing in her ears--a song only she can hear (and really, don't we sometimes feel like we have our own soundtracks for different events?), and the coffee bar, all add to this. Lovely, really lovely. And it's a situation that I can see Willow and Tara in. There's nothing contrived. It's natural--in whatever world our girls live in, they will ALWAYS find each other. I'm looking forward to the next part.

--Sela

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 9:09 pm 
Sweets, this'll be a really short one reply from me cause I just got your email, like 5 seconds ago. I'm always sooo late to everything. Can I just say: what the hell were you worried about??? BTW, Becca and Brandy are in Tennessee...together. Alone, sort of. For a wedding. And stuff. Details at the end of the weekend! Yay for the fic!!! It's totally warm and dreamy...wonderful!

Laurel.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 9:37 pm 
Spuckie: Why Spuck! Would I ever torture you? Me? Innocent me? Heck no! Working on Chapter 2 as we speak. This one will be tough. I hadn't thought that far ahead yet ;)

Tigger: thanks for stopping by to read! I must admit, I haven't gotten around to reading everyone else's fic. Trust me, yours is next on the list. Romance....ahh well that's a good Libra's stock and trade. We're totally pitiful that way.

Sela: Thanks for the compliment. The first time I heard Norah Jones I knew I had to make a fic with her voice in mind. I thought her music lent itself so well to a soothing W/T piece. All romance, all jazz chanteuses, all the time. And I agree, when I was first dating Diana, I had this little running soundtrack in my head. It was distracting and cute all at the same time. I always love seeing W/T in a natural setting....meeting in a coffee bar, at a sidewalk cafe, in an art gallery, walking along a beach just thinking. Those settings appeal to me.

Lu: Ahh sweets you are FAR too good to me. Thanks for coming by even though you didn't have to. Becca and Brandy, in TN, supposedly alone. Can we say wickedness ensues? I think we can :grin No worries, I'm going to give Becca a real hard time when she gets back. I owe her one :evil Your feedback means alot to me.

Post subject: ....
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 11:05 pm 
this otter princess is rolling onthe floor laughing... You wish you could write like me?! hehe... i get the other references but i'm nothing compared to the way people should really write. like you my love. i'm not as detailed as you and i wish i were. i dont have song excerpts ever and i wish i did. it builds the atmosphere. your narration does too. i've been to philly and this seems like a shop on st.marks maybe. wait, hehe, that's nyc. i mean 8th street. did i mean that? is that a place there? third street is here in santa monica and 8th street in NYC is St.Marks but i think 8th street is 8th street in Philly. or fifth street maybe? i saw PJ Harvey on that street (whichever the number) in philly and i know you know what i'm talking about if you're from Philly. my brother lived there and i used to take the northeastern down to him. anyhoo, back to the fic. I love it! i love the meeting and i love the descriptions and i cannot wait for another update! hugs toni. great job on a first post of a first fic.

Post subject: Re: ....
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 2:12 am 
i'm loving this fic!

aww bless i love shy W/T

can't wait for the next update :)

*Hannah*

I just needed someone to talk to, you were just too busy with yourself, you were never there for me to express how i felt ,i just stuffed it down- *STAIND -FADE*

Post subject: Re: ....
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 5:15 am 
I was blown away by this fic too! I hope you can compensate for the hole in my wall?? lol Loving this fic..want to marry it : Urm anyway...what do they say about a girl in specs? ;) he he, cant wait to read more. That's a sublte hint to get you to write more so I can read it by the way :D

love Aly xxxxxxx

You cannot have more catnip! You have a catnip problem!

Post subject: Come Away With Me
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 7:03 am 
Great fic, it's lovely. I really hope that the continuation of this will be posted soon, I can't wait to read it. Great start. You Rule.

Much Love,

Lisa

This is our Last Embrace, Must I dream and Always see your face.~ Jeff Buckley "Last goodbye"

Post subject: Re: Come Away With Me
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 8:09 am 
You were right....this fic is very refreshing. I always enjoy the AU stories. Their first meeting is just awww worthy....can't wait to read more....hint hint :)

--Michelle

Post subject: Re: Come Away With Me
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 8:41 am 
Kieli, everyone else is going to "oooooh" and "aaaaaah" about the story. And they should. I know this kitten is looking forward to Chapter Two, Three, Four, etc.

I, on the other hand, want to praise your writing skill. Lots of writers manage to avoid learning the dozens of little tricks that add up to "good writing." They overuse adjectives, or continually descibe a character in everyway imaginable except their name. Paragraphs are haphazardly placed, with little or no attention paid to rhythm. Or, in love stories especially, there's simply no build up.

Your story, though--what a delight! You even managed to include a flashback memory seamlessly. That's hard! Color me impressed. Very impressed.

Soooooooo...when is Chapter Two coming out?

Edited by: DrG at: 6/24/02 6:37:55 am

Post subject: re:come away
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 8:46 am 
I must agree with everyone here your story is really good.I'm really looking foward to part 2.

Post subject: Re: re:come away
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 10:13 am 
Oh wow... this was wonderful. It was written so beautifully, I could just see Willow sitting there, gazing longingly over at Tara. :D Can't wait for more.

--------------------------------

"But when they're playing your song on the jukebox in Hell, you might as well dance." - K. Simpson

"Futile... like a FOX, baby!" - Tara in The Late Shift by wiccachica

Post subject: Colour Me Totally Blushing
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 11:32 am 
...I really want to respond to everyone who has been kind enough to read so *takes a deep breath* Here it goes:

As a general "To Everyone" kind of post, Chapter Two is being written as we speak. I hope to post it by this evening or tonight at the absolute latest. I had a rather interesting dream about where this should go and I hope it goes over well.

Rane "The Otter Princess": The song excerpts are just a rather wierd quirk I have. My problem is, I don't usually express myself well and music has always been my way of attempting to get my point across. Some people like it, others don't. I am ever so glad that you are enjoying it. It makes the work worthwhile and gives me a huge measure of validation. I've been going "Go me!" for about ten minutes now :grin 8th street is a couple of streets down from 6th in Philly...you can hit the other tree named streets (i.e. Walnut, Pine, Chestnut) from there. You were probably thinking of St. Mark's where I have not been in quite some time. Did I mention how MUCH I miss the East Coast? When I get back, you have to come visit. South Street is not to be missed ;)

fidds: Thanks for stopping by! I am always happy when others like what I've done. I haven't written anything W/T related ever. This is my first...if you'll pardon the pun...outing :grin

ally02: Hey now! I've been enjoying your fic! I've been a bad Kitty and not posted as such and I really should. I have just been addicted to updates and have been checking constantly for when you post new ones. That's a not so subtle hint to you for you to update yours very soon :grin I am WAITING! *LOL*

ABRMW (I had to abbreviate! Your name is so long!): :blush I wish I did rule. Leave that to the real writers...I am but a rank amateur.

pikescoob: I always enjoy the AU stories too, mostly because the angst of this season has been SUCH a downer. The AU stories have been so varied, so different and very enjoyable. I have to admit though, I am addicted to my hometown and felt it was time that the girls migrated East for a bit ;)

Zahir: David, you have NO idea what an incredible compliment you have paid me just by visiting. I haven't forgotten "Song of Songs", I promise. It's just that I start the email and then save it because I change my mind constantly about things I want to say or add! I am such a typical Libra. I felt that W/T really don't need additional description. Everyone knows who they are and we all adore every square inch of them. Their story is what needs to be told and I will do my very best to try to keep this as simple and romantic as possible. God knows, we need more W/T lovin' :lol

nika: Chapter 2, you say? Well, your wish is my command! :grin

LeatherQueen: It is indeed a pleasure to have you visit my humble fic. You are one of the most renowned betas on the Board so a compliment from you speaks volumes. More is coming...if I can only keep my ideas from colliding with themselves! *weak smile*

Peace everyone! New update later, I promise!

Post subject: hehe
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 12:32 pm 
i asked my brother and it *is*.... south street. my bad. luv ya! and yeah, i cant wait to get back on the east coast.

Post subject: Re: Come Away With Me.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 12:37 pm 
Yep,got us both totally hooked right away - we're going to enjoy this one...We just know !

We >are< looking forward to the updates.

Best of luck,

Emily and Lucy.

vive,valeque.

Post subject: Re: Come Away With Me.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 3:04 pm 
Ooohhh ... I really liked this *G* I love AU's, and this one is well-written and fun ... so, uhh ... chapter 2? *G*

-Sass

Post subject: You're CRAZY!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 3:54 pm 
I'm so glad you posted this... all those doubts you have in that big old head of yours should be driven out. You're wonderful babe, and I can't wait for another section of it. Put yourself on your own damn website, alright?

I'll catch up with you soon and we'll talk about this, but I love it. And I'm total agreement with Zahir.

As Always, M.

Post subject: Chapter Two, as promised
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 4:48 pm 
Author’s Note: Ok, so it’s not just Willow that has this unhealthy infatuation with jazz chanteuses. I’ve used some music from Diana Krall’s Love Scenes because it’s such a wonderfully romantic CD and great background for Willowthought. I never realized how damn HARD it is to write!

Chapter Two: I Don’t Know Enough About You

After picking up her rental car at the train station, Willow made her way home in the quiet near-darkness of early evening. Her thoughts kept meandering during the drive, going to places that, in her humble opinion, no self-respecting woman should be going. She couldn’t seem to help herself! There were even moments where she could feel a slow flush creeping up her cheeks. “Ok Rosenberg, get a grip here. You want to get to your apartment in one piece so… the paying attention part? That would be a good idea.” Pursing her lips in renewed concentration, Willow gripped the steering wheel tightly and pressed down on the accelerator.

Fifteen minutes later, Willow stumbled wearily through the door of her rather spacious studio apartment in the center of the artists’ village of New Hope. She fell in love with the place after a rather talkative realtor showed her around two days after she had landed in Philadelphia International airport. The ceilings were low beamed but Willow didn’t really mind that so much. What she adored, however, was the quaint fenced courtyard that opened out to the Delaware River if she so chose. There were windows everywhere it seemed and the sunlight that filtered in gave the whole place a rather open and airy quality. The old fashioned cobblestones and the unique blue tiled fountain in the center of the yard were like a dream come true. The realtor was a little shocked when Willow told her that she would take it right then and there.

Willow dropped her briefcase and umbrella by the door and kicked off her shoes on her way to the living room. She threw her keys on it and pushed the blinking PLAY button on the answering machine beside the cordless telephone.

Beep! “Hey Wills! It’s just me, Buffy. Just wondering how you’re doing and if you’re ready to come home yet. Don’t make me come out there and cart you off! Beep!

Beep! “ ‘ello luv!” “Uh oh,” Willow groaned inwardly at the strident British accent in the voice message. “Becca here. I’ve got a smashing idea for something to do Friday night. Got a friend who’s in town and she’s givin’ a lecture at U of P on Women’s Literature or some such like that. I knew the intellectual in you might have a bit o’ fun with that. However, there is a nice fancy little to do afterwards at the Tin Angel. Just a few people, nice and cozy like. Figured it would be good fer ya…meet new people and all. Anyhoo, see you at work tomorrow. Give us a ring when you get in, eh? Cheers!” Beep!

Willow had to shake her head at Becca’s message. Rebecca Sutor was her rather quirky lesbian co-worker who happily left England for a chance to “party it up” in the States. At first, Willow thought she was simply hilarious, speaking her mind in that rather infectious East End accent and dragging her off on some wild outing whenever the mood struck. However, she’d become more insistent on trying to hook Willow up with any good looking woman that crossed their paths. “I am so not in the mood to deal with this right now. I just don’t have the energy,” she sighed as she plopped herself down in a rather undignified position on the couch by a pair of sliding glass doors. Flipping idly through the mail, Willow’s thoughts were less on paying attention to the bills in her hand but more on filling the clawfoot tub in the bathroom with hot water and bubble bath. She dropped the packet of mail onto the end table beside the couch and started stripping off her clothing, one piece at a time, on her way to the bath. She took great pleasure in just depositing each garment on the floor, on the lamp, anywhere that it was not normally supposed to be. “Oh for this to be someone else stripping me instead of having to do it myself,” she sighed wistfully. She wondered idly if Tara liked to be the stripper or the strippee. “Ack! Don’t go there…you don’t even know the woman, for Pete’s sake.”

Willow turned on the water to full stream and went into the bedroom to select her current favorite CD from the rack on the wall. “Hmmm…I think this one will suit nicely,” she murmured and removed the CD from its sleeve. She gathered up a few candles along with her music selection and made her way back to the nearly full tub. After lighting the candles and slipping the CD into the player on the counter, Willow slid into the mix of heat and bubbles with a contented sigh. The smooth voice of Diana Krall and rapid tinkling of piano keys soon filled the bathroom with mood music.

I know a little bit
About a lot of things
But I don’t know enough about you

“Well, no truer words were ever spoken,” Willow reflected. “I don’t know anything and yet, Tara’s in my head! Constantly! Over only a few hours time! I really need to do something about this.”

Just when I think you’re mine
You try a different line and
Baby what can I do?

I read the latest news
No buttons on my shoes
Baby, I’m confused about you
You’ve got me in a spin and
What a spin I’m in
‘Cause I don’t know enough about you

Willow bit her lip thoughtfully and paid closer attention to that last line. “Ain’t that the truth. Totally in a spin. I wonder if her number is listed? But there’s got to be hundreds of Maclays in the Philadelphia area! Where do I begin?” She contemplated doing a web search and possibly asking the owner of the coffee shop about Tara while slowly rubbing a loofah over her tired skin. Satisfied with the course of action that she came up with, Willow rinsed herself and settled back to enjoy the relaxing odors of the lavender scented aromatherapy bubble bath.

You know I went to school and
I’m nobody’s fool
That is to say until I met you
You’ve got me in a spin and
What a spin I’m in
‘Cause I don’t know enough about you.

A little while later, Willow had toweled off, wrapped herself in a big fluffy bathrobe that was one of many going away presents (actually necessities, according to her mother) and padded down the hall to ring back Becca. She knew that if she didn’t get it out of the way, she’d catch hell for it at work in the morning.

“Good evening, Ms. Rosenberg! Glad to see you. Would you like your usual?”

“Hi Mario. Yes, please, my usual table. Is she playing tonight?”

“But of course,” the maitre’d replied. “I made sure that your table was moved closer to the piano tonight.”

“Thank you, Mario. You are far too good to me.” Willow patted Mario’s hand and made her way to her waiting table. Willowdreams were usually rather odd, even she would admit to that. However, ever since a certain woman came into her life, albeit accidentally, they had taken a different turn. It had been two weeks since it happened and, while Willow had made it a point to be at the café almost every afternoon for her daily Tara fix, she still had not managed to speak to her again, other than a passing “Hello.” Her recent dreams made her look suave by comparison and in them, she always seemed to know what to say. The emcee began introducing the main attraction as soon as a waiter helped Willow into her seat.

“Ladies and gentlemen! It is my pleasure to introduce a Club 521 favourite, Ms. Tara Maclay!”

Willow sat completely mesmerized at her place of honour near the piano, as the singer strode out into the spotlight wearing a very sultry black and diamond studded gown that hugged her every curve; her blonde hair fell in silky waves over her shoulder and ample bosom. She carefully removed a microphone from the stand next to the piano, and stood not more than five feet away from Willow.

“Thank you, everyone. Thank you for the wonderful reception you always give me when I visit Philadelphia. It’s good to be back in this part of the city especially. “ Tara moved to the other side of the piano and sat next to her female accompanist. “I brought a special guest with me tonight…I’m sure you all have heard her a time or two. Please welcome my good friend, Diana Krall.”

The audience responded to the introduction with hoots and loud clapping as the band struck up the first few chords of a song. Tara continued speaking.

“Tonight is actually a special night…I think this is going to be an ‘All Request’ night. I know of one particular fan who’s been requesting a certain song every time she sees me.” Willow’s heart practically leapt out of her chest as Tara turned those crystal blue eyes on her. “I think we’ll oblige her. What do you say, folks?” This last bit was again met with enthusiastic cheering and whistling. “This song is called ‘Gentle Rain’.”

Diana’s fingers rippled across the keys and she started out the song herself.

We both are lost
And alone in the world
Walk with me
In the gentle rain
Don’t be afraid, I’ve a hand
For your hand and I
Will be your love for a while

Tara picked up the second part to the song, still holding the connection between her eyes and Willow’s.

I feel your tears as they fall
On my cheek
They are warm like gentle rain
Come little one you have me in the world
And out love will be sweet
Very Sweet

Our love will
Be sweet very sad
Very sweet like gentle rain
Like the gentle rain
Like the gentle rain

Willow found herself blushing very deeply at the attention being paid to her. She found herself becoming increasingly turned on and took a long sip of wine from the glass in front of her to try to calm her shaking hands. Somewhere in the background of the din in the club, there was a persistent buzzing that she couldn’t place. “What in the hell is that?!” she murmured, frowning slightly at the annoying intrusion. The room suddenly started to fade and shift. “Oh nooooo…not now!” Willow moaned into her pillow. She reached for the offending alarm clock and threw it into the wastebasket by the bed. Rolling onto her back, she tried to cling to the last vestiges of the dream, a slow smile creeping across her face. “At least I have something to make this day start out right.”

END CHAPTER TWO

Post subject: Re: Chapter Two, as promised
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 6:18 pm 
Oh Goody!

Kieli, just so you know, I'm puzzled about how different this AU is from canon. I mean, certainly Willow knows she's gay before meeting Tara (that's a big change) plus the whole leaving-Sunnydale-thing.

Hmmmm...sounds like something she might explain to a certain blonde she's met while they get to know each other...hmmmmm...

Edited by: DrG at: 6/24/02 6:37:24 am

Post subject: Re: Chapter Two, as promised
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 6:25 pm 
*claps* This is SOOOO cool! I can't wait for next update!

Got rice?

Post subject: Re: Chapter Two
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 7:21 pm 
Kieli, this is awesome. Willow's dream was great, but I hope we won't have to wait too long before they hook up. I like this Willow. She's daring in a whole different way and I love that she's enjoying her freedom.

The hell with reading my stuff, just give us more of this. Thanks!

She's my everything!

Post subject: Re: Chapter Two
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 8:07 pm 
I love this fic:) and I like how each update has been a song fic. Cause I absolutely love those songs. I have for a long time, jazz music is awesome:D I absolutely cannot wait for another update

*****Faye*****I LOVE YOU JENNA

Post subject: Many thanks!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 8:52 pm 
I am pleased that you all like it thus far. Chapter 3 is going to be interesting....there will be some interesting surprises....I might keep you all hanging just for a teeny bit longer :evil

Zahir: You know, since I don't do the whole writer bit about knowing what is "canon" and what is not, I have no idea if this fic is treading in troubled waters. I guess that's why I'm enjoying writing it so much...I'm not too worried about all that. I suppose I should have explained how Willow knew she was gay (or even if she is presently), but I never thought it to be an issue. Thanks for pointing that out! Hmmm...I think it may occasion an interesting dialogue between Tara and Willow.

Liang: So happy you could stop by for the jazz party! And bring your own rice if you're so inclined. Many uses are in the offing for it...could be a first date thing....could be a proposal....who knows? *sly grin*

Tigg: Oh heck no, don't you dare stop writing! Like I said, I am but a mere amateur and this is only my first shot. I love reading everyone's stuff and how different their views are on what this season could have been. I'm just enjoying all the writing and reading. Thanks for reading!

fairydust: I adore jazz music myself. I've got hundreds of CDs and they never seem to be enough for some reason. I know that some people tend to shy away from song fics but I've yet to find one that has a jazzy, relaxed feel to it. That is what I'm shooting for, at least. You'll have to let me know after I post Chapter 3 ;)

Post subject: Re: Many thanks!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 10:33 pm 
I just found this story today, and I must commend you on two excellent chapters. I was kind of confused with the club stuff, but then Willow wakes up and it is all a dream. Great job keeping my interest. Also, I like the fact Willow already knows she's gay. I have not seen much fan fiction like this.

Tara: My heart doesn't stutter.

Tara: Willow, I got so lost.
Willow: I found you. I will always find you.

Willow: Hi, um Tara. I was wondering maybe you want to go out some time for coffee? food? Kisses and gay love?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 2:06 am 
Glad that Willow left Sunnydale, especially when it led to her finding Tara!

You have a very descriptive style of writing, which makes it very easy to imagine the setting. And you're using music very effectively too.

Adding up the total of a love that's true, multiply life by the power of two
Indigo Girls

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 2:24 am 
Hey there have just started reading this fic and just had to tell you how great it is. I love AU fics esp the ones in which W + T get together. update soon?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 2:44 am 
Wow this is some good writing. And not just the smooth incorperation of song lyrics into the prose, which also communicates Willow's thought well. I also gotta appreciate your detailed descriptions. AU's are always fun and I like the Willow you're giving us in this one. I look forward to seeing how the two of them get together.

-----------------

No, it's great... if we want to make ferns invisible, or communicate with shrimp, I've got the goods right here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 454 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next