The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 629 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Chapter 24: The Return of Amy Madison
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 12:49 pm 
There is a cliffhanger. I know, I know, but I promise you that it's the last one...

Title: The Dark Rose - Chapter 24 (The Return of Amy Madison)

Author: Dark Magic Willow

Email: darkmagickwillow@yahoo.com

Rating: R, mostly for violence, no explicit sex

Pairing: W/T

Spoilers: All episodes through the end of season 6 though this story takes place 18-19 years after the end of season 6.

Summary: An old enemy returns.

Magic Note: Magic, even dark magic, is not addictive in my universe, so there are no withdrawal symptoms and no dark magic dealers. Here Rack was a dark magic teacher who used his students, not a dealer. However, you can use too much magic and you can be corrupted by the power it gives you.

Disclaimer: I don't own any of the copyrights or anything else associated with BtVS. All rights lie with the production company, writers etc.

Acknowledgements: Thanks to Amand and Juli for reading, and re-reading, and... (-;

The Dark Rose

Chapter 24: The Return of Amy Madison

Willow and Tara walked hand in hand towards the old Gothic mansion. In her other hand, Willow carried the cocoon of magicks that contained the Heart of Corruption. Dawn, who they had found to help them remove the Heart from this world, walked beside them. Willow had felt it best to carry out the ritual at the old mansion where they wouldn't be disturbed.

Willow kept giving Tara oblique glances to reassure herself that Tara was really there beside her. She knew it was silly. She could have felt Tara's presence with her eyes closed even if they hadn't been holding hands. When Tara was near, she felt cherished and safe. Tara's love steadied her own tremulous heart. It just seemed too good to be true.

She'd been ready to die, to sacrifice herself for the future of Tara and the world. Then Tara had been there. The barriers between them had fallen. Unfettered by doubts or reservations, the magic flowed between them and created a miracle to save them, quenching the dark fury of the Heart of Corruption with the power of the love they shared.

Magic wasn't only about spells and rituals. It was also about feeling and emotion. That was something Tara had taught her long ago, but it was a lesson she was only beginning to understand now. If she had learned it sooner, she never would have fallen into the darkness.

Tara was acutely conscious of the sidelong glances Willow was giving her on their walk home. She squeezed Willow's hand each time she received one, reassuring Willow that they really were together. She understood how Willow was feeling, though, as she was feeling much the same. She couldn't quite believe that they'd safely make it through everything. In truth, they weren't done yet. They still had to get rid of the Heart of Corruption. But that seemed easy compared to what they'd gone through already tonight.

Looking at Willow, it was clear that the darkness was a thing of the past. Willow's eyes were bright green and the old lines of sadness had faded from her face. With every glance, Willow showed her that she accepted Tara for who she was, but more importantly, Tara now accepted herself, past and present. Her life felt in balance for the first time since she'd learned of her past.

Dawn watched Willow and Tara's interactions with a smile. It was good seeing them back together. She was unsure of what happened beneath the earth with the Master, but whatever it was, it had cleared away the shadows that had separated them. And Willow's eyes were green again.

She was more than a bit nervous about what was coming up though. She'd only used her power once and she had just been a kid then and hadn't been in control of what was happening. Dawn still didn't understand how her ability worked even though she knew what to do to activate it. That troubled the scientist in her.

At least this time she had Willow to guide her through the process, and she was opening a portal to save the world, not destroy it. Those were major differences, but she still wished it was over already.

As they reached the mansion, Dawn opened the door and let Tara, then Willow, through before going in herself and closing it behind her. The large entry chamber was lined with bookshelves, but there was no other furniture to clutter the room. The walls were bare of ornament.

"I think we-" Willow began, then looked over with surprise when she felt Tara release her hand.

"I have to go to the bathroom," Tara said with a sheepish smile on her face. She didn't want to let go of Willow any more than Willow wanted to let go of her, but she also knew that she didn't have to be afraid. Willow would be here for her when she returned. They wouldn't run from each other any longer.

Willow smiled back at her. "It's okay," Willow said. "We'll figure out where to cast the spell while were waiting."

"Could we go over again when I have to do?" Dawn asked nervously as Tara walked out of the room.

"Sure." Willow began to explain again to Dawn how to open the portal to the Void between Worlds. Dawn had a number of theoretical questions about how the process worked, which Willow had to think seriously about before answering. They were deep in conversation when they heard a gasp from the direction that Tara had gone.

Willow stopped in the middle of her sentence as she turned towards the doorway Tara had disappeared through. She only had time to take two steps before she saw Tara re-enter the room, a handgun pressed to her head, her face pale with fear.

Amy Madison pushed Tara into the room, holding the gun in her hand. She looked much older than she had when Willow had last seen her, unnaturally aged by dark magicks; but it was unmistakably her. Her eyes were cruelly triumphant as she looked at Willow. She was carrying a light crossbow in her other hand.

"Don't try anything, Willow," Amy said in a low, dangerous voice before either of them could do anything. "Even if you could kill me instantly, you wouldn't necessarily save her. Think what a few ounces of pressure exerted by a nervous spasm of my finger as I died would do. Are you willing to take that chance?"

Willow's eyes narrowed as she regarded Amy. It was only a chance, but not one she could take. There were spells that would obliterate Amy completely, even with the limited power she had remaining after the confrontation with the Master, leaving no finger to twitch, but she had left all that behind her. She had to find what Amy wanted while she searched for another way to deal with her.

Dawn fell silent at Amy's words though Amy had barely glanced at her. She looked over to Willow for an indication of how she wanted to handle the situation.

"Good girl," Amy said with a flicker of a smile. "Now give me the Heart."

"And you'll let Tara go," Willow asked, regarding Amy steadily. She refused to allow any of her feelings to show on her face, even though she felt her deepest fear tearing at her insides, frantically trying to get out. The sound of a long ago gunshot reverberated in her mind. She couldn't allow that to happen again.

Willow felt sick at her stomach and only an iron will prevented her hands from trembling. She couldn't give herself away to Amy. Many times in her past she had confronted this type of person and won, but never had the stakes been so high. She knew that she couldn't show fear if they were all going to make it out of this alive.

Tara stood frozen, hardly daring to breathe. The constant pressure of the gun pressed to her head reminded her with every heartbeat of how she had died before and how she might die again in the next few minutes. It was hard to think of anything but the gun with Amy's warning ringing in her ears. Tara looked desperately at Willow for help. On seeing the calm strength in Willow's eyes, she felt hope for the first time since she'd felt the cold metal of the gun against her temple.

"Of course," Amy nodded, her attention almost completely focused on Willow.

Dawn's eyes darted back and forth between Amy and Willow, watching the deadly contest of words and wills with fear in her heart. What could she do? Her power was only good for one thing. There was no way she could stop Amy before she killed Tara.

"Why should I believe you?" Willow asked skeptically. She glanced quickly at Tara's face, beautiful as always, though her eyes were wide with fear, and promised with her own eyes that she would get her safely out of this situation. She didn't want to trust Tara's fate to Amy's goodwill if she could help it, but she needed time to find another way. She had to keep Amy talking long enough to come up with a plan.

"You don't have much choice," Amy said, her expression hard and uncompromising. "Just like when I was a rat and had to trust you to turn me back into myself."

"And I did," Willow said evenly, her brain racing as she came up with scenario after scenario, rejecting one after the other as too risky. She didn't want to risk Tara, but she knew they wouldn't be much safer if she gave Amy the Heart.

"After years of leaving me as a rat," Amy pointed out angrily, her voice shrill. "You could raise the dead, but you didn't have time to cast an easier spell to save a friend."

"That's not Tara's fault," Willow protested. If Amy hated her this much, maybe she could get Amy to take her as a hostage instead of Tara.

"Amy-" Dawn began then quickly shut up as Amy shot her an angry glance, her knuckles whitening as she gripped the gun tighter. Tara trembled, flicking her eyes over to Dawn, as she felt the gun press harder into her temple.

"Like I said, I'll let her go if you give me the Heart," Amy said, staring hard into Willow's eyes. Only the clenching of her fingers revealed her tension. "Now quit stalling!" she barked.

Willow wordlessly tossed the cocooned form of the Heart of Corruption towards Amy. It was a dangerous action, but she could do nothing else with Tara's life in the balance. It would give her a little more time for Amy to make a mistake. The Heart landed on the floor midway between them. "There it is," she said.

Amy stared at the shroud of protections, searching for the presence of the Heart inside them. Her gun never wavered from Tara's temple for a moment. Finally, she nodded with satisfaction. "That's it," she said with a sly smile. Her smile hinted at dark secrets, known only to Amy herself. "Now there's one thing more I have to say to you, Willow."

She brought to the crossbow up, aimed at Willow's heart. "The spell is complete," Amy said, her voice ringing with malicious triumph. "Willow Danielle Rosenberg, I name your true name." Activated by the act of naming Willow, the runes on the quarrel glowed a dull red.

As she pulled the trigger on her crossbow, Tara dove for the bow, heedless of the gun at her head. She pushed the crossbow downwards, but the bolt still fired, striking Willow in the stomach. Amy wrested the bow from Tara's grasp and smashed her across the head with it, knocking her to the ground, then quickly turned the gun on Dawn who had made it halfway across the room while she was distracted.

Tara lay stunned on the hardwood floor. Her world was still spinning as she touched her head gently where Amy had hit her. She winced as her hand came away bloody, but she struggled to get up anyway, determined to stop Amy before she could hurt Willow any more.

"You didn't save her," Amy gloated down at Tara. "The spell on the bolt bore her true name. It didn't matter where the bolt struck her." She pointed towards Willow's body on the floor.

Panickstricken, Tara looked over at Willow. When she saw Willow's unmoving form, the feathered end of the bolt sticking out of her abdomen, her vision blurred with tears. Her chest tightened and it felt like all the life was being sucked out of her. Willow couldn't be dead, not when she had just found her.

Almost immediately the self-recrimination began. She had seen those visions for a reason. Why couldn't she have been faster or done something sooner? She should've been more careful when they came home, knowing from what she'd seen of the future that it wasn't over yet. If she hadn't been a hostage, Willow would never been in a situation to be shot. She should have... Her thoughts were interrupted by sudden pain as Amy kicked her in the ribs.

"I said, break the spells on the Heart or I'll kill you," Amy said, her face flushed with anger from being ignored.

Tara looked up Amy numbly, unable to summon much fear at the idea of being killed. She tried to think of an appropriate response, but before she could come up with anything to say, everything in the room rippled as if it was merely a reflection on a pool where a stone had just fallen.

Amy and Tara turned to see Dawn pressing her bloody palm into the air as if it were a solid surface. Dawn slowly dug her fingers into the air. Gaining purchase, she pulled her clenched hand back. Reality wrinkled around her hand, and as she pulled the corners of the room lost their angularity, melting like a clock painted by Salvador Dali.

The muscles on Dawn's arm stood out as she pulled harder and the fabric of reality tore around her fist, opening a dark gash in the world. Dawn stumbled backwards, landing on her bottom, her hold torn free. Droplets of blood from her hand flew across from room to strike the white chrysalis enclosing the Heart.

The portal rapidly expanded until it was a rough sphere bigger than a person. It revealed wonders as it grew. Through it, they saw millions upon millions of tiny crystal spheres suspended in the absolute blackness of the Void, each containing a universe. The spheres glowed with every color of the rainbow as they floated in the infinite space of the Void. Larger than worlds and farther away than the stars, the crystal spheres still looked tiny and close enough to gather up in one's hand.

Wonder turned to alarm as they felt a wind blowing towards the portal, quickly growing in strength. Papers carelessly stacked on the bookshelves by the walls began fluttering in the gale. Soon, the top sheets of paper were flying through the air towards the portal.

Unnoticed in the commotion, each droplet of Dawn's blood stained the cocoon of protections wrapped around the Heart, creating expanding patterns of pink, like the rapid flowering of a rose. Under the surface, billions of living blood cells, each filled with pure green energy, swam through the protections, seeking to open. Inside the chrysalis, the purity of their living power found its twin in age and power enclosed in the lifeless form of a gem.

Seeing Amy momentarily distracted by the portal, Tara seized the opportunity Dawn had given her. She had nothing left to lose. She grabbed the newly pink chrysalis of enchantments enclosing the Heart of Corruption and leaped into the portal. Even if Amy shot her, she knew her body would carry the Heart into the Void.

Tara entered the portal headfirst, but her plunge was stopped with a sudden jerk as she felt strong hands grasp her ankle. She turned her head back to see Amy standing at the edge of the gateway, her gun discarded as she focused all her strength on pulling Tara back and retrieving the Heart. Tara struggled to escape, but Amy drew her back out of the portal, her grasp on Tara's ankle as implacable as death.

Knowing the she little time to spare, Tara hurled the Heart into the depths of the Void with all her strength. Amy shrieked with unbelieving fury as she saw the Heart fall into the Void. She released Tara's leg and dove into the gate, reaching for the Heart with both hands.

Tara shivered with cold she fell free of Amy's grasp into the darkness of the Void. She grappled with Amy, trying to stop her from reaching the Heart, but was pulled back once again by strong hands on her ankle. She turned to see Willow bent halfway over, holding desperately onto her leg.

Willow was alive.

Tara didn't know how it could be. Amy had been telling the truth about the true name spell; she had seen it in her eyes. It didn't matter though. She didn't care how it had happened as long as Willow was alive, but her joy turned to fear as she saw the dark stain in Willow's leathers around the bolt grow with every inch she pulled Tara out of the portal.

Willow's face was pale with pain and blood loss, but her determination never wavered as she slowly pulled Tara out of the Void. She yanked the rest of Tara's body out of the portal with the last of her strength, the two of them collapsing to the floor. Willow gave a strangled cry of pain as the impact opened her wound further. Tara shivered, her skin blue with cold, and wrapped one arm protectively around Willow while holding onto one of the heavy bookshelves with her other hand to prevent them from being sucked into the portal.

Seeing her friends safe, Dawn raised her hand to close the portal, standing in front of the gateway but somehow unaffected by its consuming power. As she looked into the Void, she saw Amy hurl vitriolic black magicks at the pink chrysalis. The chrysalis tore, revealing pulsing green energies inside.

The Heart was active, but not as before. There was nothing cold or malevolent about the light it shone with now. As Amy reached for the incandescent gem, the gossamer web of spells erupted in a blinding flash of pure green brilliance. The three of them were forced to look away from the titanic explosion that filled the portal.

When they could look into the portal again, a new world floated in the darkness of the Void, enclosed in a sphere of crystal made effulgent by roiling clouds which glowed with a pure green energy. As they watched, the luminosity of the sphere began to slowly dim as the furious energies of its creation cooled. The clouds condensed into a denser oblate agglomeration of matter that rotated around its own center.

As the nebulous shape spun, it slowly flattened until it looked like a pancake with a roundish hump of denser material in the middle. Smaller spheres of denser gas and dust began to form in the outer areas of the disk as gravity brought together the small fragments of matter. All was calm until critical pressure was reached deep in the central core, and thermonuclear reactions ignited there.

In a flash of brilliant green light, a new star was born.

The power of the newborn's solar wind blew away the thin clouds of dust and gas, leaving behind scores of planetoids in eccentric orbits. At first Dawn looked unbelievingly at the green star, then she suddenly understood how such a thing could happen. It was a star of a generation not yet born in our own universe, its mass full of heavy elements that were abundant in the matter from which it had been formed.

Dawn wanted to watch as planets grew from planetoids, then cooled enough for oceans and continents to form. It was a unique opportunity to watch a world being born. Would stars form elsewhere in the little crystal sphere so the new star wouldn't be alone? She had so many questions, but as she turned her head to look at Tara and Willow, she realized that she didn't have time, so she checked the Void for one last thing before closing the portal.

There was no sign of Amy Madison.

The new world disappeared from view as Dawn's touch caused the portal to shrink. The hole in reality diminished as fast as it had expanded, folding in on itself at the last to leave the room unchanged as if nothing of consequence had happened there. As Dawn pulled her hand away, she looked at it in wonder and saw that the cut on her palm was healed without a scar to mark what happened.

Tara gasped as she felt Willow go limp in her arms, slipping into unconsciousness. Dawn rushed over to join her.

"Willow!" Tara cried frantically, shaking her still form.

--

"Omnia mutantur, nihil interit." -- "Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost."

Post subject: Re: Chapter 24
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 1:31 pm 
That's really a cliffhanger..... OMG.

But I have faith in you.. it will all be allright... right?? I mean, Dawn is a doctor...and that is what Willow needs..a doctor and a witch..an incredibly poweful witch in love...that should do....

Please....

Insanty

"Nobody messes with my girl!"Tara, Bargaining

Post subject: Re: Chapter 24: The Return of Amy Madison
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 5:49 pm 
Hey DMW, awesome writing. I love this part even with the cliffhanger. I thought it was going to be Willow's true Hebrew name. guess not. So my guess: Willow's true name is: Willow Danielle Rosenberg Maclay? Has been for over 20 years? That's my guess but could be anything at all. Awesome way to go. Debra

---

"War may be a necessary evil. But no matter how necessary it is always evil." - President Jimmy Carter after receiving the Nobel Peace Prize

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 3:41 pm 
Insanity: I did promise a happy ending and we do have two more chapters, but Dawn's not a medical doctor; Dr. Dawn's a scientist and a researcher.

JustSkipIt: Thanks. Interesting guess, but all will be revealed later.

--

"Omnia mutantur, nihil interit." -- "Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:51 pm 
DMW, "Holy Cow" that was an intense update! I loved W&T holding such a firm grasp of each other's hands as confirmation that indeed what just happened is real (they have survived... they're together), as well as the same time just reveling in the other's touch/contact (the utter joy of being able to truly feel the full strength of their connection now that the barriers have been eliminated). And what resonated with me while they walked towards the mansion was Willow thinking, ("Magic wasn't only about spells and rituals. It was also about feeling and emotion.", as well as Tara thinking, "With every glance, Willow showed her that she accepted Tara for who she was, but most importantly, Tara now accepted herself, past and present. Her life felt in balance for the first time since she learned of her past."). Really this captures so well how much W&T have come full-circle, they truly can move-on, bask in the "light"...a future of possibilities (ie where the most important aspect is doing it together).

As for vindictive Amy, and her keeping her eyes on the "prize" (ie the Heart), I really can't say I'm sorry to see her follow the Heart into the void :devil (ie she is so utterly consumed with power and revenge... the "heart" of darkness, she makes a perfect counter-point to what Willow has found in her own "heart"... love). You also captured the inner-workings of Willow's mind perfectly... trying to keep Amy talking (a stall tactic) while searching in her mind for the best plan to implement (with minimal risk to Tara), to bring Tara to safety. Really I found this the ultimate moment of "truth" for both W&T. Or in other words, the greatest fear is losing what they have just found together (ie hope, a future, and truly being able to revel in their connection/love), but now they are confronted with having it being taken away in such a cruel fashion (ie the method... "tool" being a gun, a reminder of what happened in the past, which is an equally cruel twist of fate). Thus, Willow is practicing what she learned with not letting her fear lead her back to the path of "darkness", but rather staying on the path of "light"... letting her "heart" (love) lead the way.

Lastly, I'm glad at least the arrow didn't penetrate Willow's heart, because yes, the spell would of worked as Amy states regardless, but it appears she didn't know Willow's "real name" after all (ie at least taking the arrow through the stomach will do less damage... more hope of survival than taking it in the heart). So relieved that even with all the pain (blood loss) Willow had endured, she was still able to find the strength (in her love) to pull Tara to safety, not to mention a hearty yay to Dawn for taking the initiative with opening the portal (during such chaos... uncertainty) in the first place. I must also commend you for how descriptive your writing is... I could so picture the entire scene in my head (loved how vivid you made the beauty of "new star born" to me). As for that cliffhanger... I see the "roller coaster ride" isn't over yet, but I have faith that W&T will overcome their latest obstacle. I so can't wait to see what happens next!

Vicki

Edited by: VampNo12  at: 2/23/03 6:21:43 pm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 2:12 am 
Now that's what I call a cliffhanger!

But I trust you in writting a happy ending :wink

Stef :p

Willow: Hey, clothes!

Tara: Better not get used to 'em.

Willow: Yes ma'm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:52 pm 
VampNo12: Amy followed her Heart to her own ending. Your comments on the importance of this last encounter and what it shows that Willow and Tara have learned are very perceptive. And thanks so much for your feedback on the descriptions of the ending; I wanted to do something different here and it sounds like it worked.

deixs: It is quite a cliffhanger; I wonder if that's what's scaring people away from replying: they're waiting to see how it resolves. Or it could be they're just not accustomed to me posting over the weekend.

--

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 9:49 pm 
Hello Kittens-

Nope, it's not the unexpected weekend post, it's getting our hearts out of our throats. The loud "eeeeep" and thrashing sounds were the readers trying to force their monitors to change the words on the screen.

Or in other words, good cliffhanger. Eeeep.

Jixer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 10:43 pm 
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!! OH MY GOD!!!! :shock And exactly like Jixer had said, *grabs the monitor shaking it vigorously to force more words to appear* Major cliffhanger is the understatement of the year!

Going against convention here, I felt compelled to de-lurk all because of that cliffhanger! :p God, I'm still too stunned for words. I'll be back when my brain goes back to able-to-give-constructive-feedback mode (which, I must admit, might take a while). :whistle

Thanks for the amazing update, even if it comes with such a HUGE cliffhanger, but that just makes it even better.

:thud

Janie :grin

Edited by: DreamWalker at: 2/24/03 8:45:36 pm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 10:44 pm 
DMW: I've said it before, and I'll say it again: "Holy shit!" Again with the descriptive powers you are...You give us a striking battle scene; and though it's of a different kind than the fight against the Master, both of them resonate with incredible images and the parallel between demonic and human corruption and the accompanying power of love to overcome both, and could I possibly write a longer sentence without being taken outside and shot? I suspect not. Anyway, I love the way that your action always reflects an underlying emotional truth--it makes me respond on many levels.

Poor Amy...she isn't beyond sympathy, but she allows her bitterness and envy to overpower her. And am I hitting the Sapphic sauce a little too hard, or do her feelings for Willow (and her jealousy of Tara) seem just a bit...much? If you know what I mean, and you're smart so I suspect you do...

You know, I had a bad feeling when Tara headed off to that bathroom. There was this little voice in the back of my head saying, "Now why is DarkMagicWillow including this?" But then I thought it was to allow time for Willow and Dawn to review the plan. Nice masking there, girl! Just as I relax, here comes Amy with Tara at gun-point.

That whole scene was wonderful on many levels, as I noted above, and one of them is the way that both Willow and Tara automatically think of how to protect the other; however (and I appreciate this), it's not an inclination devoid of the power of thought. As excruciating as it is for Willow to imagine losing Tara to a gunshot again, she also knows that it's a moot point if the Heart is allowed to corrupt again. Willow's brain never disengages, I believe, and so she's trying first and foremost to save Tara but is also aware of all other circumstances and implications at hand.

Dawn is also an intriguing figure here. I see her as the scientist (borne of the mystic) who is in such a fascinating and unique position to appreciate the full scope of what she sees. It's wonderful, and I love seeing her as a mature young woman capable of action and quick-thinking.

As ever, your characters drive your action, and that makes the action just compelling for me.

Mary

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:16 pm 

Before this chapter, I was really not very sympathetic to Amy's character and didn't think much about her. Sorry if this has been discussed before. I don't always read all of what's in the thread, so I may have missed it. But what Amy said about Willow being able to perform a resurrection and not return her to a human form made me think. Why wouldn't Willow bring her back? There's one option, which is what Amy has been so resentful about Willow just didn't give a damn. However, there's another option, and one I think is more likely. Willow's study of magic has always been portrayed as something kind of sporadic on the show. She always learned individual as she needed them, mostly for protection, occasionally for vengeance, etc. But she never really learned about magic, about power and where it comes from. She didn't really have any structure to her magical education. Her power grew, but that didn't make her more knowledgeable, it just allowed her to do more powerful spells. So was she capable, power wise, of deratting Amy much earlier than she did? Most likely. I just think she didn't know how (not to mention she was distracted by imminent doom a lot of the time). Does this make any sense?

Anyway, great chapter, as always, DMW. Evil cliffhanger, as expected. I really like Dawn in this story, particularly in this chapter as she manages to do what needs to be done (opening the portal) even though her support was gone (Willow kind of shot, Tara too shocked to do anything) and there was a crazed maniac wanting to kill her.

Eagerly awaiting the next chapter,

Yana

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:47 pm 
Hey DMW!

I must have forgotten this doctor-thingy, but anyway *g*

Dawn can do research how to help Willow. So, see, Willow needs a Doctor *eg*

Does this make any sense? *blush*

Ok, forget my babbling around here....

Insanity

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 8:06 pm 
Wooh Dude! Holy Shit! What are you doing to us! :o

DMW I don’t know how you do it, but you’ve managed to out-do yourself with this chapter. It is so vivid, rich and complex. I love how you’ve resolved the issue of the Heart of Corruption. Original, doesn’t come close to describing how you resolve the physical, metaphysical and spiritual complexities of this story. So many themes come home here in absolute clarity (even for a techno-peasant like me.) Outstanding writing!!

Thinking of Amy, I’m in agreement with Mary. Amy is a character to be pitied. I can’t help but think of her in comparison to Willow. The difference being Willow was willing to let go of the past and embrace the potential of today, whereas Amy lost herself completely in the darkness. Both women sought their heart’s desire. But, at the moment of truth, one collapsed under the weight of that desire and was lost forever, while the other found redemption in shedding its heavy mantel. In many ways, I think Amy made an excellent foil for Willow. A part of me thinks of Amy in terms of tragedy – almost like a tragic hero who became consumed with her quest and at the end falls prey to her pride and her anger. (I think I’ve been reading too much Shakespeare – lol)

Though I’ve been wrong before, I think Vamp12 nailed it when she said Amy didn’t know Willow’s “true” name, so the arrow did not fly true.

“Dawn slowly dug her fingers into the air. Gaining purchase, she pulled her clenched hand back. Reality wrinkled around her hand, and as she pulled the corners of the room lost their angularity, melting like a clock painted by Salvador Dali. I love this image, especially “reality wrinkling.” It’s so cool.

To me the greatest theme in this story is the absolute power of love to overcome. It is beautiful in understatement but, oh so commanding in it’s delivery.

This is such an awe-inspiring work. Thanks for sharing your incredible imagination with us.

Oh, btw, enough with the cliff hangers already!!!!!

Cheers!!

Patches

You know I've heard about people like me. But I never made the connection. They walk one road to set them free, And find they've gone the wrong direction. But there's no need for turning back 'cause all roads lead to where I stand. And I believe I'll walk them all No matter what I may have planned

Edited by: Patches at: 2/25/03 6:08:35 pm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 8:59 pm 
darkmagicwillow wrote:
Quote:
Insanity: I did promise a happy ending and we do have two more chapters
Yes, you *did* promise a happy ending... I remember *that*

:glasses

Sea

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:27 pm 
Oh my... I knew something like that was coming... :shock Poor Willow. I'm curious about the name thing...

Amazing update! This is such a beautifully written story. Every action, emotion, dialogue, is so touching and makes us fly away with the story. As always, I can't wait for more!

--------------------------
"She had tasted Willow on her tongue, and she had worn Willow on her skin. There wasn't a shower in the world that could have washed that away." (Terra Firma, by Tulipp)

Post subject: Chapter 24 replies
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 6:57 pm 
Chapter 25, "Blossoming," will be ready by tomorrow.

jixer: I must remember to listen more carefully after I post. (-;

DreamWalker: So you're saying I'll get more feedback if I write more cliffhangers? Hmmm...

AntigoneUnbound: Your feedback is brilliant and deep as always. I love what you say and how to say it. I know just what you mean about Amy, and there is meant to be a hint of that feeling behind her words, though it may not be something she realizes herself. I like how you see Dawn; it did feel ironic to make someone innately magical in nature a scientist.

yana: Your comments about Amy and why Willow didn't restore her are very insightful. It has to feel like her plight is being ignored when Willow can work magicks of so much greater magnitude than the spell Amy wrought to transform herself.

But you're right about Willow's "cookbook" approach to magic; it's a problem I've been wrestling with for my next story. It's not only a problem for Willow's ability to do magic, but a problem with her very character. I can see her starting to learn magic that way so she can help out with Buffy, but Willow's the type of person who wants to understand how things work.

At some point, she had to search for those rules. The explanation I favor is that she found rules like the laws of contagion, association, and similarity, but her scientific mind rejected them, leading her to search for her own explanations. This led to her experimental approach to magic, enabling her to create enchantments like the big fiat lux spell but often causing her spells to fail unpredictably.

I'm glad you like how Dawn has matured.

Insanity: *G* Dawn already has helped quite a bit if you'll remember, but there's not much need to worry. You'll learn how it turned out tomorrow.

Patches: Thanks so much. I'm thrilled to hear the fate of the Heart meet with such approval. Amy and Willow's lives are meant to parallel each other. They both experienced terrible personal tragedies and lost themselves in the aftermath of them, but Willow found a way out of that darkness, while Amy fell like the tragic hero you compare her to.

I'm glad the image of reality wrinkling worked for you. I was afraid it wouldn't, but Dali's melting clocks captured the style of imagery I had in my mind here.

Sea: Don't be testy. *G* We'll have it, and sooner than you might think.

sheila wt: Thanks. I do have an explanation for the name thing, but I didn't find a place for it in the next chapter so you'll have to wait a while longer...

--

Edited by: darkmagicwillow at: 2/26/03 5:04:43 pm

Post subject: Chapter 25: Blossoming
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 8:39 am 
Title: The Dark Rose - Chapter 25 (Blossoming)

Author: Dark Magic Willow

Email: darkmagickwillow@yahoo.com

Rating: R, mostly for violence, no explicit sex

Pairing: W/T

Spoilers: All episodes through the end of season 6 though this story takes place 18-19 years after the end of season 6.

Summary: Roses bloom in the spring.

Magic Note: Magic, even dark magic, is not addictive in my universe, so there are no withdrawal symptoms and no dark magic dealers. Here Rack was a dark magic teacher who used his students, not a dealer. However, you can use too much magic and you can be corrupted by the power it gives you.

Disclaimer: I don't own any of the copyrights or anything else associated with BtVS. All rights lie with the production company, writers etc.

Acknowledgements: Thanks to my lovely betas, Amanda and Juli. Thanks to N. Gaiman for the image of the jewel and its facets which I use for a slightly different purpose here.

The Dark Rose

Chapter 25: Blossoming

The young woman all in black followed the familiar gravel path of the graveyard. She had come here often this winter to visit the grave of her beloved. Each time, the roses she had planted in the dead of winter had remained barren and lifeless.

She could have coaxed them to bloom with her magic, but she knew roses were tenacious. They would bloom in their own time of their own accord. The cold, dark nights of winter had taught her to wait for the natural order of life.

She could feel today was different, though. Spring had come at last. The nights were shorter, the days were warmer. The world was coming to life again. Today her roses would bloom.

As she approached the grave, she saw that the willow tree whose branches sheltered her beloved from the winter storms had newly budded leaves. Their living green was the color of awakenings and rebirth. She smiled, taking that as a good omen for her roses.

Then she saw them. Her roses had awakened from their barren slumber, putting forth new green shoots. Their leaves eagerly drank in the spring sunlight. Her smile broadened as she discovered two flowers nestled together on one branch just beginning to bloom.

Kneeling in the fertile soil, she bent over to take in the fresh scent of the new roses. "I hope you like them," she whispered as she traced the familiar worn letters of her beloved's name on the headstone.

"I know you're not here," she said as tears welled up in her eyes. Her breath hitched, causing her to wince in pain. She rubbed her belly tenderly where the wounds of winter had not yet healed. "I know that better than anyone," she continued as the pain subsided. Despite the tears coursing down her cheeks, she smiled and added, "Well, almost anyone."

She placed her hand on the ground, above where she thought her beloved's heart must lie. The ground felt warmer than it had the last time she did this, as if it too were awakening with spring.

"I wanted to say that I'm sorry," she said. "I did so much that I shouldn't have." Her face twisted as her tears began to flow more freely. "I was so lost. I should have trusted..."

Her winter had lasted 19 years. When it had seemed that she would be lost in its dark storms forever, spring had come to her in a form that she would never have expected. The last storm of winter had seemed strong enough to deny the promise of spring and pull her back into its icy embrace forever, but the changing of seasons could not be denied.

"And I wanted to give you one last gift," she said, caressing the blooming roses as the tears dried on her face. As she stood up, her fingers moved in complex gestures, breaking the spells of preservation. It was time for Tara's body to return to the cycle of life as her soul long since had. As she let go completely of the past, her heart opened fully to the present.

"I have always loved you," she said, her voice fervent with promise. "I will always love you."

With those words, she turned towards the spring sun, love blossoming in her heart. As she walked away from the grave of the past, her roses swayed gently in the spring breeze behind her, a promise of rebirth and the renewal of love.

Winter's night was over at last.

Tara found herself gazing into the mirror on the wall opposite their bed. She sat up in bed as she noticed something different about the image in the mirror, but she couldn't quite make out what it was. She looked back and forth between the mirror and the room; checking the bed, the bedside tables, the lamps, the piles of books that she and Willow each had on their respective tables, even the clothes Willow had left on the floor last night.

It was all the same. What could be different? Then she realized there was one thing in the room she hadn't checked: herself. She looked up into the mirror and met the eyes of her reflection. They were the same blue as hers, but there was something ever so slightly different about the features of her face. How could that be?

Then she realized that her reflection's clothes were different too. She was wearing her green robe, but her double in the mirror was wearing the same thing in red. And the self in the mirror was wearing a multifaceted crystal on a simple leather thong around her neck. She felt for the same gem around her neck, but of course it wasn't there.

As she backed away from the mirror, confused by the conjunction of familiarity and strangeness therein, her other self stepped out of the mirror to stand before her. It looked as natural as getting up in the morning. They were of equal heights, and they looked at each other with identical blue eyes. Yet there were those subtle differences.

"W-who are you?" Tara stammered.

"I'm you," the other Tara said, her mouth broadening in that lopsided smile that Tara knew as her own.

"You're me?" Tara asked her double, feeling foolish as she did so.

"That too," the other Tara agreed with a sparkling laugh as she held up the clear crystal to the window. She rolled it in her fingers, letting it glitter and sparkle as different facets caught the light.

Fascinated by the display, Tara stared into the gem. In every facet of the jewel, Tara saw a different reflection of herself. Each was her, but subtly different, like the other Tara who held the stone. As each facet caught the light, it showed her a new version of herself.

"See how each facet reflects the light in its own unique way?" the other Tara asked. "You could almost believe that the facet was the gem," she added in a reflective tone. "But it's only a part of the jewel." She looked significantly at Tara.

"What are you saying?" Tara asked herself. She was puzzled but calm. Somehow, looking into the jewel had calmed her heart, allowing her to accept the presence of her other self here.

"Don't you understand?" the other Tara asked as she pulled the leather cord over her head. "Every facet is unique. There is a time for each to reflect in the light, but time after time, the jewel remains the same." She handed the gem to Tara.

Tara almost gasped at the warmth of the stone as she took it from herself and placed it around her own neck, accepting the responsibility of holding it for now. "I think I understand," she said, nodding to herself.

"Good," the other Tara said to her with a smile. "It's your turn to shine in the light."

With those words, Tara awoke with the light of morning streaming through the window to bathe her in its warmth. As she sat up in bed, she looked into the mirror and saw that she was wearing the faceted clear jewel from her dream. She felt for it around her neck and was relieved to feel its warm presence in her hand.

It was real. She had seen it here before. Willow had called it the soul gem and had told her that it was how she had found her that cold, dark winter night in the graveyard. The reality of the jewel steadied her.

Closing her eyes, she stretched her arms and fingers towards the warm sunlight and curled her toes into the soft blankets of the bed, luxuriating in the simple, calm pleasures of sunlight and the warm rootedness of her home with Willow.

They had planted the seeds of their love in the cold, hard ground of winter, but now the darkness of winter's night had passed. Though the ground had seemed barren, they had planted well and in the spring, the fertile earth had yielded the fruit of their planting. Now in the spring, their love blossomed in the sun.

"You're so beautiful," Willow said, her soft voice completing Tara's reverie as if her thoughts had brought her here.

Tara opened her eyes to see Willow standing in the doorway, hidden by the shadow of their dresser from the light of the sun. "Come here, love," Tara asked, opening her arms in welcome.

As Willow stepped into the light of the spring sun, Tara admired the fire its warmth brought out in her hair. Then Willow crawled into bed and entered her embrace, planting a kiss in the hollow of her throat.

"You're cold," Tara murmured into Willow's shoulder as she unbuttoned her shirt.

"You're warm," Willow replied huskily as she nuzzled Tara's sunkissed throat.

Willow welcomed the warmth of Tara's body, the accelerating pulse of blood beneath her skin, all the signs of life and love. When Tara finished unfastening the last of her buttons, she sat up and raised her arms to let Tara pull off her shirt. Together, they tossed it aside.

As Tara began unzipping her pants, Willow reached behind herself to unfasten the clasp of her bra. She had let go of the cold darkness of the past, and was eager to feel the bright warmth of the present. Freeing herself from the confining garment she tossed it over her shoulder.

Once all of Willow's clothes were off, Tara shrugged out of her robe. They looked at each other for a moment, nothing hidden between them. Like her clothes on the floor, Willow's past was behind them, no longer a barrier dividing them.

Blue eyes met green. The vivid green promised rebirth and growth, the hope of spring. There were shadows of the past, and fears of the future too, but neither occluded the opening of Willow's heart to her. She felt the petals of her own heart opening like a flower to accept the warmth of the love shining forth from those eyes.

Green eyes met blue. They found unconditional love and acceptance in those calm, deep waters. Willow had felt like a rosebush, leafless and barren, bereft of life as she had tried to endure the cold storms of winter. Now though she felt herself blossoming, opening herself to her love like the flowering of a rose.

Tara pulled Willow close to her, warming her with the kiss of skin on skin. Breasts and bellies met as they breathed each other's breaths. Her hands explored the contours of Willow's back with feather light touches, her palms feeling the soft warmth of Willow's skin, while Willow's silken tresses tickled the backs of her hands. There was no more distance between them.

Willow lowered her lips to Tara's, their eyes closing as they kissed tenderly at first, then more passionately. Willow kissed her way across the velvet of Tara's cheek to her ear then down her neck, blessing every square inch of Tara's skin with her love. Their limbs intertwined like the branches of two rosebushes nestled together as their bodies opened to each other and awakened to spring.

They had a new life. A family. And each other.

Winter's night was over at last.

Their love blossomed in the spring.

--

Post subject: Re: Chapter 25: Blossoming
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 10:38 am 
That was beautiful. It’s been said before, but I’ll say it again – what’s not to love.

A while back, something sparked in me, I don’t even remember what it was, specifically and I thought of Bette Midler’s “The Rose.” I’ve often glimpsed Willow in this light, and here you bring that moving final stanza to life: “When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long, And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong, Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows, Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.

The poetry of these lyrics really strikes a chord with me, and I feel its resonance with Willow here in Blossoming. The symbols and imagery are absolutely marvellous, and we are given sense of resolution. The symbolism of seasons, spring, awakening and new beginnings; the final moment as Willow steps out of shadows to be bathed in light, and finally letting go and allowing the past to return fully to the cycle of life. I’m also taken by the imagery and symbolism of Willow shedding her dark clothing. You set this up wonderfully, and bring the metaphor home: both the allegorical and physical shedding of darkness in the act of disrobing. “They looked at each other for a moment, nothing hidden between them. Like her clothes on the floor, Willow's past was behind them, no longer a barrier dividing them.

Equally moving is Tara’s dream vision. I really like how you give Tara a final sense of self and unique identity, while tying everything into the metaphysical levels and layers of the meaning of the whole, giving her that final sense that she is who she is and is unique as a part of something greater. "Every facet is unique. There is a time for each to reflect in the light, but time after time, the jewel remains the same." Your use of the soul gem here is such a wonderfully bright contrast to the darkness under which it was first revealed.

I also felt, bodily, the physical sensation of warmth. As I progressed through the chapter, it became more and more real. I’m not sure I’m expressing this very well here, which is unfortunate. It’s like I could experience the warming of the ground and the sun and feel the awakening promise of spring, and felt contentment.

And finally ... Dude, where’s the cliff hanger?? – lol

Cheers!!

Patches

You know I've heard about people like me. But I never made the connection. They walk one road to set them free, And find they've gone the wrong direction. But there's no need for turning back 'cause all roads lead to where I stand. And I believe I'll walk them all No matter what I may have planned

Edited by: Patches at: 2/27/03 10:10:14 am

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:19 am 

Lovely chapter, as always! :)

Were the first few sentences of this chapter an evil attemp to make the reader wonder if Willow wasn't dead, or am I reading way too much into it?

I liked the way Willow is grieving for Tara M, which just shows she really does seperate the Tara from the past from the present one, and also acknowledges that Tara M is gone.

Also, while I understand the winter metaphor, I couldn't help but think: winter? Winter storms? In Southern California?! That wasn't the point at all, of course, but I couldn't help myself... ;o)

Yana

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:31 am 
Oh wow DMW!

This first part, Willow at Taras grave, really made me cry.

It's so intense, and hopeful.

BUT: where is the solution, whith this name-thingy of Amy??

This was really a wonderful update..

Insanity

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:52 am 
Lovely chapter indeed, darkmagicwillow.

The first part, Willow saying goodbye to the *old* Tara, was so moving and full of deep feelings that couldn't fail to reach the heart of the reader.

The second part provided a much needed rest in Willow's path and a closure for *new* Tara from this whirlwind she found herself through the story.

Very well balanced... Still a chapter to go, isn't it? :)

Thanks for sharing such a great story.

Sea

Edited by: The Inward Sea at: 2/27/03 9:55:17 am

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 12:29 pm 

I'm glad Willow was finally able to let go of the Tara from the past to be fully with the Tara from the present. For both their sakes. The graveyard scene was beautiful. It gave such a sense of closure.

Thank-you so much for a wonderful fan-fic. It left tears in my eyes and a smile on my face. xo,

Bronwyn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 12:53 pm 
Oh, DMW...So many times before, you've impressed me with the power of your writing; the strength and clarity of battle scenes and fierce clashes.

Here you drape a soft, infinitely embracing robe over your readers as you take us through such moving scenes that are powerful by virtue of their gentleness.

The scene at Tara's grave had tears pricking at my eyes, and I rarely cry. The imagery of the rose and the Willow tree and the beauty you imparted through your descriptions were just wonderful. What pushed me right over the edge, of course, were the words that Willow spoke to her beloved. It must have been an incredibly delicate scene to write, because Tara is dead and yet she lives. So Willow says goodbye to the physical (and the image of her releasing Tara's body as her spirit has already been freed was just amazing) but knows that her soul abides.

Which brings us to the jewel/mirror scene, and oh, DMW--kudos for one of the best symbols I've read in a long time. How perfectly that fits what is happening between these two incarnations. I also loved that the Taras had a moment between them, alone. I hadn't realized how much I would enjoy that until I read it. It fit so well and gave a wonderful new dimension/resolution to the story.

The farm girl in me, of course, loved all the imagery of planting and rebirth and trust that nature will do what it will and should. I found it so interesting that of all the magic Willow had performed, she had easily refrained from forcing the roses to bloom, knowing instead that they could and would take care of themselves and mature in their own time. That whole line of symbolism just worked to perfection.

Ah, the whole thing made me sigh...

I didn't see any kind of "Finis" or "The End" and therefore I'm telling myself that the story isn't over. If I'm wrong, please let me continue to delude myself for awhile, much as I'm doing by not watching Season 7.

Thank you, DMW, for such a beautiful chapter.

Mary

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:52 pm 
DMW, simply beautiful! I know I tend to analyze what I read, but sometimes the biggest compliment I can pay is saying how much a piece just reaches me on such an emotional level... speaking directly to my heart (this part being one of those times). Really I am truly moved... I feel such warmth in how well you captured the "power" of their love. You have an amazing "gift" in the descriptive "power" of your words, where not only does the imagery/symbolism paint such a vivid picture, but you truly make their emotions so palpable to me (ie I truly feel like I'm experiencing this amazing journey right along with W&T).

Thus, you captured perfectly with Willow returning to Tara M's grave, as well as the "crystal" a sense of coming full circle ("rebirth"). Now W&T are truly able to put the past behind them... move on, and bask in the "light" (a future filled with hope... possibilities, where the most important aspect is being able to experience all that life has to offer... together in love) :heart . And my those last lines of ("Their limbs intertwined like the branches of two rosebushes nestled together as their bodies opened to each other and awakened to spring. They had a new life. A family. And each other. Winter's night was over at last. Their loved blossomed in the spring."), got me choked up (sniffle). I do believe there is one part left, and though sad to see this story come to a close, I can't wait to see what happens next! By the way like Patches, I too thought of Bette Midler's song the Rose while reading this story (this chapter in particular).

Vicki

Edited by: VampNo12  at: 2/28/03 12:54:31 am

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 8:53 pm 
DMW, very excellent and beautiful. The most amazing pacing in this part. All three sections have wonderful pacing. Like the reader is just walking through or stopping to look and peer at the action (or thoughts of action). The first part was truly beautiful and you almost got me to thinking that Willow was dead but I think that it said something about her being dressed in black so I knew it was Willow doing to TM's grave. Wonderful release. Then part two was really great with TM & TL and the imagery of the crystal. And part 3 was beautiful and sensouous and wonderful without being a "sex scene". But with scenes like, who needs a sex scene (ok, we still love those...). Bravo and Brava and great job! Debra

---

"War may be a necessary evil. But no matter how necessary it is always evil." - President Jimmy Carter after receiving the Nobel Peace Prize

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:55 am 
Hello Kittens-

After all of this Willow still mourns TM so deeply it makes us almost shy away. The words make us see the sparse beauty of her memorial, and the glorious hope that's saving her. Tara L's realization makes Willow's hope even stronger. Their togetherness now rings even more truthfully of a shared now and, more importantly, shared tomorrows.

Thank you,

Jixer

Edited by: jixer at: 2/28/03 1:15:42 am

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:25 am 
I just wanted to add, in response to the comments between you and Yana and others that I think one of the things that makes the very idea of Willow off being dark and alone for 19 years so compelling is that it gives her a chance to have a very concerted, deliberate approach to a new kind of magickal education. Granted, it's a very dark vision of her life, but the thing is that it WOULD take a really long time for Willow to get powerful, to have so much magick at her fingertips that she could call it up with a wave of her hand or the complex finger movements you describe when she releases the protections on Tara's body. It just makes sense.

Also, I love the many levels of relation in chapter 25, the way that Willow loves Tara Lucas but also loves and grieves for Tara Maclay, the way that Tara Lucas must understand that she is multiple, that she is herself and also partly Tara Maclay, the way that they are able, finally, to be a Two in the end of this chapter because Willow has finally accepted being a One without Tara M, and Tara has finally accepted being a One who includes Tara M. Very deep, very moving.

Oh, and being someone who's fond of just skipping important crisis moments in my own writing, I liked how you moved from the cliffhanger to the moment--at least weeks later--where Willow can look back.

As my grandmother would say, bee-you-tee-full.

"Just call me the computer whisperer."-- Willow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 3:43 am 
I missed another cliffhanger ... yay me! Great updates. I liked how you described the opening and closing of the portal. Such detailed beauty as a new world was born. Pretty cool.

The grave scene was heart wrenching and uplifting all at once. And led into my favorite line:
Quote:
She had let go of the cold darkness of the past, and was eager to feel the bright warmth of the present.

So loving every word of this story.

--celia

---------------------------------

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:44 pm 
(grimmy sneaks in feedback on chapter 24 as well since I'm late replying)

I didn't know a 'true name' would be so easy, even *I* knew that one :) I wasn't to worried about the magic effect of the arrow (though it would be nice if it were explained why it suddenly wasn't fatal anymore) but still an arrow in your stomach ain't exactly good for you.

There are many ways to view that Tara-hostage/Heart exchange scene. For starters I wonder if Tara herself would want Willow to give Amy the heart. It's so obvious Amy isn't going to be doing any nice things with it after all. Secondly there must be several ways to kill Amy without that gun going of, even without magic there's at least one... but thats me being all nitpicky :D

Amy being hurled into that portal reminded me a bit of the woman in Indiana Jones #3 who didn't want to let get of the Holy Grail, greed kills. Good riddance to Amy I say, she just didn't want to change which tends to lower my sympathy for her. (and yes she did seem jealous of Tara as far back as in chapter 15(b), don't know if that was magical or otherwise)

Oh yeah, is Dawn alright after having used her powers like that ? That has to tire her out a bit. I had a bit of a problem visualizing that entire portal scene, it's so big and complex!

Two things stuck to me in chapter 25; one Willow removing her protection spells from Tara M's grave, releasing her. Second is the gem/facet description which is so nicely done, so fitting.

It has been mentioned already but this story/Willow does remind me of the song 'The Rose' indeed. A long and difficult journey towards spring... nice imagery overall.

Grimmy

"You hurt Tara," Willow said too calmly. "The last one who tried that was a god. I made her regret it." -- Unexpected Consequences by Lisa of Nine

Edited by: Grimlock72 at: 3/1/03 10:45:58 am

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:43 am 
DMW:

I decided to sleep on this last (most recent? or final?) installment before responding.

I think I'm the only reader who was initially unsure who was visiting whose gravesite. My stomach lurched thinking "Willow didn't make it - and the cycle continues. But if Tara needs to wait 19 years for Willow she will." It became clear...but just as my tummy recovered my heart wrenched at Willow's beautiful words. [But then I thought on a positive note: This could mean a sequel and more exquisite writing from the D*M*W!:shy ]

I guess I knew all along...but I never appreciated the weight under which Willow existed for SO long. You've clarified for me the truth that - after a while - a person can become enured to his burdens. It's only after they've been lifted that he might realize how onerous they were. Willow carried the heavy stone of grief and longing. Like a reed it may have bent her back but it also kept her alive. Now with Tara she can truly live and thrive.

The use of the crystal and the aspects of one image refracted - different in appearance but the same in essence. I'm not sure that it has ever been described in such a graspable way. [I admit - I've never done well with physics or the mystery of time/space concepts!: ]

I hope you know I'm sincere when I say thank you for your work. It's made me look at a great many things differently...including myself. Introspection? Who me?:whistle

^^^Suse

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 629 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next