The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 629 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: More Chapter 12 replies
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 1:39 pm 
...amazing... Replies to chapter 12 already. It ain't even posted yet :)

Hehe....

Two other things I was wondering about

1) What will Willow think about the fact that she travelled around for 19 years while her objective simply appeared right in Sunnydale after 18 years ? She could just have waited, does she consider the time well spent ?

2) That soul-gem from chapter #1 does something awfully specific. Can't be all that usefull to most other people. I was wondering if it has any other things it can do except instantly knowing which 'Tara Maclay' Willow was talking about :)

Grimmy (who is patiently waiting for the update:) )

"You hurt Tara," Willow said too calmly. "The last one who tried that was a god. I made her regret it." -- Unexpected Consequences by Lisa of Nine

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 1:49 pm 
Hey, I'm good, what can I say? Hmm...maybe "Oops?"

Grimmy, have you been rereading? The soul gem can find any soul you name, but who knows what else it can do? I'll just say that we haven't seen the last of it. In fact, it has a cameo in the next chapter.

I'm working on the update, but the movers came today and I just excavated the computer. Now to find my notes and actually make the changes.

--

"Omnia mutantur, nihil interit." -- "Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost."

Post subject: Chapter 12: Once More
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 3:49 pm 
Title: The Dark Rose - Chapter 12 (Once More)

Author: Dark Magic Willow

Email: darkmagickwillow@yahoo.com

Rating: R, mostly for violence, no explicit sex

Pairing: W/T

Spoilers: All episodes through the end of season 6 though this story takes place 18-19 years after the end of season 6.

Summary: Willow and Tara's first real date.

Magic Note: Magic, even dark magic, is not addictive in my universe, so there are no withdrawal symptoms and no dark magic dealers. Here Rack was a dark magic teacher who used his students, not a dealer. However, you can use too much magic and you can be corrupted by the power it gives you.

Disclaimer: I don't own any of the copyrights or anything else associated with BtVS. All rights lie with the production company, writers etc.

Acknowledgements: Thanks to Amanda and Juli for helping me get this one right. It took more than a few tries. The chapter title is all my own for a change. Oh, and Juli, let me know if the part you lectured me feels right. You know the one.

The Dark Rose

Chapter 12: Once More

Willow scrutinized her image in the mirror, making sure that everything was perfect for her date with Tara that evening. Sunglasses hid the darkness of her eyes and red hair fell in loose waves to the middle of her back. She wore a thin, bright red long-sleeved shirt and blue jeans.

This was the thirtieth outfit she'd tried on and it still felt wrong. It wasn't black. All this color was a new thing for her. So was exposing her face to so many people. She wasn't accustomed to that.

She looked over her shoulder at the heap of clothes where her bed used to be and sighed. She had panicked, ordering almost everything in her size from an online store. It had all arrived this morning, and she had been trying on clothes ever since. She shouldn't have to go through this. She had thought her dating days were over when she had first met Tara. She hadn't counted on meeting her all over again.

It had to be just right for Tara. She had to look good but casual because it was coffee and not a date. Coffee was simple; dates were complicated. At least that was her original thinking, but now she wasn't so sure. Good but casual was difficult.

She hadn't been on a date for nineteen years. What if they had changed the rules? Had she even known the rules in the first place? Wait, she was thinking of it as a date again and it was just coffee. Of course, there was probably a proper protocol for coffee too of which she was just as unaware.

This would have to do. She'd already tried on everything else, and she felt least uncomfortable in this. At least she was becoming accustomed to the sunglasses, though her loose hair still felt odd. She was used to wearing it in a tightly coiled braid under her hood. Unbraided, it kept getting in her way, but she wasn't ready to cut it. She hadn't cut it since Tara had died.

It reminded her of how she had once been before everything had turned out so dark. She wasn't that Willow any longer, and she wasn't sure that she could be that Willow again. Even with regular apocalypses, vampires, and demons, it had been a good life. She hadn't thought at the time that she would ever look back on those years as a time of youthful innocence and happiness, but in comparison to her life since leaving Sunnydale it had been.

She would give anything to have her old life back, but getting it back wasn't a simple matter of wishing. She had seen too much of the darkness to believe life was that easy. Changes had to happen inside her. It would be a slow process, happening a step at a time. You had to plant in the cold darkness of Winter for roses to bloom in the Spring.

Willow looked down at the heap of sunglasses on the dresser. She had liked the little round ones, but they just didn't hide enough of her eyes, so she'd gone with larger lenses that completely obscured the blackness. Her eyes drifted over to the two pieces of jewelry that she had also rejected. It was too soon to wear the doll's eye crystal on its chain, and she didn't need the soul gem to find Tara any longer.

That was it then. She must be ready.

She looked over at the particle-board shelf that she had moved into her bedroom after her last nightmare. There were many heavy tomes on magic that she knew she wouldn't be able to concentrate on. She ignored them and looked at the pile on top of the bookshelf. She really should read the Tacitus. She'd found the complete histories last year and kept meaning to read them, but instead she picked up her well-worn copy of The Fellowship of the Ring. It was a book she read every few years and was always good company if she had to wait.

Willow made it to the Espresso Pump half an hour early. She had given herself plenty of time because you never knew what might happen on a walk in Sunnydale. She was nervous about the whole date, or rather coffee thing, too. She wondered if it was too early to go inside.

The world was so different this evening. No one had taken a second look at her. Normally people hurried to get out of her way. She wasn't sure if it was her clothes or if people could somehow sense the darkness inside her. She shifted her book from hand to hand nervously and glanced at her watch. Less than a minute had passed since she had arrived.

Willow paced up and down the storefront of the Espresso Pump. She worried again if Tara would like how she looked, then she wondered why she was so nervous. It wasn't like they hadn't spent time alone before, but that had been in the darkness of her world. The daylight world around her now was no longer her place. It made her uncomfortable. She suddenly wanted to take Tara away with her into the darkness to be alone there together. Forever.

The tender embrace of the night would shelter them from the garish light of day. Together they would walk into the dark, sharing its secrets and wonders. There was so much Willow could show Tara, the midnight hatching of dragon's eggs in a mountaintop eyrie, the gossamer castles of faerie floating like a mirage in the mist, even the other side of the sky.

They would be together in the night. Everything terrible that had happened to her had happened in the light of day. Discovering Oz's betrayal. Glory taking Tara. And Tara's death. In the dark, she had grown strong. She could teach Tara all she had learned of the night. They wouldn't need the world of the day, would they?

No, Tara had a light within her that was meant for the brightness of day. It wouldn't survive the darkness of winter's night. She had to learn again how to deal with the world of day with its people and everyday happenings. The time of darkness had passed, though it would be long before its shadows left her.

She shook her head. She should be thinking about tonight. She had built deep conversation trees in her head like a chess player looking ahead at all the possible moves her opponent might make, trying to be prepared for everything that might happen on her date.

There she was again, thinking of it as a date. She told herself to relax, that it was just coffee; then again, coffee didn't help her relax. In fact, it was pretty much the opposite of relaxation. All the sugar and caffeine made her hyper. Maybe they should have gone for a relaxing cup of tea instead, but she didn't know if Tara liked tea. She probably thought of tea as foreign and British, associating it with Giles and stuffiness instead of dating and snuggles. Okay, it was good that they were going for coffee instead of tea. That was settled.

Willow looked at her watch again and decided that it was finally late enough to find a table inside. She quickly found a small round table for two by a window so she could watch for Tara. She let the waitress know that she was meeting a friend and that she didn't need anything yet. Late afternoon sunlight streamed through the window, warming her face and making her glad for the sunglasses.

She took out her book and let it open to a familiar chapter. It was the beginning of book two where Frodo awakened in the haven of Rivendell. She had read this part many times over the last years as she searched for a way to return to her own haven, but her haven was a person, not a place. Her worries drifted away, taken from her by the familiar reassuring words.

Tara walked up to the door of the Espresso Pump and almost entered before spotting a familiar figure reading in the corner of the window, her back to the wall. She almost hadn't recognized Willow without her usual black leather, but she looked lovely in her red shirt with the light of the afternoon sun glinting off the cascade of fiery tresses that fell to the middle of her back. Fascinated, Tara took a moment to admire Willow from outside the coffee shop.

Willow was so lost in thought that she didn't notice Tara watching her. Her expression was softer than it usually was as she focused intently on the book before her. As Tara watched, Willow's lips quirked as she almost smiled at something she read. Then Willow reached up to push an errant lock of red hair out of the way and turned the page.

As she watched Willow read, Tara thought that the combination of the classic beauty of her features and the sunglasses made Willow look like a movie star. She was so beautiful and almost calm in this moment, though she still looked up from time to time to survey the room.

With a smile and a soft sigh, Tara turned away from the vision in the window and entered the coffeeshop. She walked over to Willow's table and sat down across from her. After waiting a few moments to be recognized, she realized that Willow was too lost in her thoughts to look up. She watched her friend read for a few more moments before speaking. "Hi."

"Tara!" Willow exclaimed, surprised by the sudden appearance of her friend. She had been so lost in the book that she hadn't noticed Tara's arrival. It had been years since someone had been able to get that close to her without her noticing them. Even now only Tara could have approached her this closely without setting off alarms.

"Have you been here long?" Tara asked.

"No," Willow answered. "Are you feeling better today?"

"The doctor said everything was okay and I'm feeling fine," Tara said. She looked at Willow's outfit and smiled lopsidedly as she said teasingly, "So you do have something that's not black in your closet."

"Well," Willow said slowly, looking directly at Tara then quickly looking away. "Since this morning I do."

"You bought that for me?" Tara said, her blue eyes sparkling.

"I didn't buy it for the vampires," Willow answered with a little half-smile, a little uncomfortable with letting Tara know just how much she had prepared for this date. It was just coffee after all. She didn't want to frighten Tara away by showing her the full depth of her feelings this early in their relationship.

The waitress interrupted them, saving Willow from further embarrassment. She asked if they knew they wanted to order. Willow simply ordered a mocha, while Tara ordered a tall one-shot skinny velvet hammer with extra whipped cream and cinnamon. The waitress took both of their orders, then checked whether they wanted anything else before departing.

After the waitress left, Willow looked at Tara, impressed with her ordering skills. "Where did you learn to speak java?" she asked.

"I grew up near Seattle so I'm a native speaker," Tara answered, trying to sound cool.

"I'll have to have you order for me next time," Willow said with a short, slightly awkward laugh. "Do you speak any other languages?"

"Just French and a little Latin for spells," she said and smiled. She couldn't seem to stop smiling. This felt so different, sweet and intimate yet awkward, than their nighttime meetings.

"I wish you'd been with me in Paris last year," Willow said, trying to hold herself under a little better control. "I only know a few French phrases." As she finished, she found herself smiling again. She couldn't seem to stop it.

"What was Paris like?" Tara asked eagerly, her lips slightly parted in anticipation. "I always wanted to go there." Tara had always wanted to go to Europe, especially France. She had planned to spend a quarter abroad next year, but recently she'd found herself wanting to stay in Sunnydale, more because of Willow than anything else.

"Dark, lots of bones," Willow answered, looking down distractedly as she recalled her time in Paris. "I mean," she said, catching herself and suddenly looking back up at Tara.

Tara looked perplexedly at Willow. She knew Willow was different from most people and wasn't likely to go for the common touristy sights but that wasn't the type of answer she had been expecting. "Are we talking about the same city?" Tara interrupted.

"Did I mention I went there to find a very old vampire so I spent most of my time underground in the catacombs?" Willow answered, cocking her head and raising her eyebrows in an awkward, appealing look.

It had taken weeks in the maze of underground tunnels walled with carefully arranged bones to find the old one she sought. Some of the places had been beautiful in a bizarre way. The walls of bones were sometimes broken up by hearts and crosses made of skulls. When she had finally found the one she sought, she had discovered that he had gone insane from centuries in the dark alone but he had remembered where the dark monks had gone after their banishment from Rome and that had led her to discovery of the Soul Gem and eventually Tara.

"Would you want to go back and see some of Paris that is above ground?" Tara said, arching an eyebrow ironically as she looked at Willow out of the sides of her eyes. "I've heard that is the best part."

Willow gave Tara a look of pure delight, her thoughts of the past forgotten. "Are you volunteering to be my guide?"

Tara grinned at Willow with her familiar lopsided smile and replied, "Yes"

Before Willow could say anything in reply, the waitress arrived with their drinks, giving Willow the mocha and handing Tara her more complicated order. Both drinks came with straws, and she also brought Tara a long spoon for her drink.

Tara took a sip of her coffee drink through the straw then scooped out a bit of the whipped cream with her spoon. She extended the spoon across the table, offering the spoonful of whipped cream to Willow. Instead of taking the spoon from her hand like Tara expected, Willow leaned forward and ate the whipped cream from the spoon while Tara held it, gazing into Tara's eyes as she did so. Tara felt a surge of warmth through her body as she watched. Once she finished, Willow sat back up, her tongue flicking out to remove the last bit of whipped cream from her lips. She gave Tara a sultry smile.

Tara's mind was still busy contemplating what had just happened as she asked dazedly, "Um...what were we talking about?"

Willow smiled wickedly, happy in her ability to distract Tara. "Whipped cream?" she asked in an innocent tone of voice.

Tara blushed at the unneeded reminder. The whipped cream incident was firmly fixed in her mind. It had only been a few moments ago, after all. Of course, their conversation hadn't been that long ago either. She knew that wasn't what they were talking about but she couldn't think back to what they were talking about before their coffee arrived. It felt hazy, like the conversation had been weeks ago instead of only minutes before. Then suddenly she remembered their discussion, exclaiming "Paris!"

Willow regarded Tara like a cat watching the cream. "Oh, yes, that was it," she said insincerely. "I forgot."

Tara mock glared at Willow and looked about as if searching for something to throw at her date. "You did not!" she accused.

"I did," Willow said, trying to sound innocent once more. "You distracted me."

"I distracted you?" Tara said in an outraged tone, "I was not the one who was doing the distracting if you'll remember, Miss Rosenberg." She was enjoying the teasing, but she wasn't going to let Willow get out of this by acting all cute and innocent.

Willow finally had mercy on Tara. "It was me," she admitted, but she couldn't resist adding, "But you did offer the whipped cream to me."

Tara thought back to their evening together as Willow walked her home. They had continued flirting and teasing until their coffees were gone. They had talked about traveling, and Tara had been impressed at all the places Willow had visited. She wondered how old Willow was to have seen so much. However, most of her journeys were similar to her Paris trip so she had missed many of the monuments and museums that Tara wanted to see.

That had changed the topic to art. They had gotten into a friendly argument about that as Willow preferred the more representational art of the classical era and the Renaissance, while Tara liked the Impressionists and modern abstract art. The discussion had gone on for a couple of hours after they finished their coffee.

Then, feeling hungry, they had gone to eat at Tara's favorite Indian place. Tara was happy to find that Willow enjoyed interesting ethnic foods as much as she did. She ordered aloo gobi which they made perfectly as usual, and she had tried some of Willow's karahai chicken but had found it too spicy for her taste. Willow had enjoyed it though, saying the spicier the better and giving Tara another one of those smiles that made her feel so warm inside.

That brought her back to the subject she was trying to avoid worrying about. They were almost to her dormitory, and Tara knew how she wanted the evening to end, but she wasn't sure if Willow wanted the same thing. She thought she did after the whipped cream incident and the flirting that followed, but she wasn't certain.

They reached her dorm. Tara fumbled with her keys, trying to unlock the door as her mind raced. Finally, she got the door open, but she still wasn't brave enough to do what she wanted to do and the moment was quickly passing. Willow usually left her here when she walked her home.

She stepped inside, holding the door open with one arm as she turned back to Willow, trying to think of the right thing to say to her to stop her from leaving. As her mind raced, Willow asked, "Why don't I walk you to your room?"

It turned out Tara didn't have to think of anything.

Tara's throat was too dry to answer so she simply nodded and let Willow into the dormitory. They walked quietly together up to Tara's room on the second floor of the building, each lost in their own thoughts. Tara's heart was racing with anxiety and anticipation, each beat telling her that she had to do this.

She had always been shy in the past, waiting for other people to ask her, but she had never felt this way about anyone else. She couldn't let the moment escape her simply because she was afraid. If she was brave enough to stalk vampires in the night, surely she was brave enough to kiss a girl.

As they approached her door, Tara turned around to look at Willow and found her face only inches away from her own. Willow's eyes were still hidden behind sunglasses even though it had been dark for hours. Tara tentatively reached up to remove the sunglasses, hoping that she would be allowed to do this.

Willow started to raise her hands to stop her, then she dropped them and let Tara pull off the sunglasses, revealing her dark eyes. Tara looked deeply into them, trying to build up the courage to kiss Willow, and as she gazed into those eyes she noticed a glimmer of green beneath the darkness.

That was confirmation enough for her. She tilted her head and leaned forward to brush Willow's lips with her own. They were so soft, softer than she had imagined. She parted her lips, pressing against the wet softness of Willow's mouth then felt Willow kissing her back.

She had done it!

A joyful warmth filled her, but at the same time she felt weak in the knees. Willow's arms wrapped around her waist, pulling her closer. She brought her own arms around Willow's head, running her hands through the silken softness of her red tresses.

Her passion building, Tara teased Willow's lips with her tongue. Willow accepted the invitation, letting Tara explore her warm mouth for a few moments before questing for her with her own tongue. Their tongues danced together for a moment as she pressed herself more tightly into their embrace. Willow's hands ran up and down her spine causing her to shiver delightfully. Finally, oxygen becoming an issue, they had to break the kiss. They kept their arms wrapped closely around each other as they looked into each other's eyes.

"You know I'm never going to leave you at the door downstairs now?" Willow said with a broad smile.

Tara's heart was still pounding. Everything had turned out so right. All her worries had left her unprepared for success. She found the suddenness of it all disorienting. It was as if she had been building up the nerve to push with all her strength a seemingly unbreakable wall only to find that it had collapsed at her first attempt.

Finally Tara regained the ability to speak. "I know," she answered, her smile matching Willow's. "But you know, I'm not sure if I did that right," she said, cocking her head to look appealingly at Willow. "Can I try once more?"

"Once more," Willow agreed, her expression full of joy as she brought her lips to Tara's.

--

"Omnia mutantur, nihil interit." -- "Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost."

Edited by: darkmagicwillow at: 12/12/02 3:29:55 pm

Post subject: Re: Chapter 12
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 5:13 pm 
The coffee date was wonderful and the ending even better. The premise to your story is so interesting and well executed that I can hardly wait for each part. I liked how you explored Willow's reluctant efforts to go outside her comfort zone and meet Tara on her terms. I really enjoyed your description of Willow as Tara watched from outside the shop. I could picture that clearly in my mind. Thanks for writing another great chapter.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 5:14 pm 
:bounce Tara kissed Willow....yezzz.... :bounce

Shy Tara realizing she has to act and goes right for what she wants, yezzz..:) An unbreakable wall, lol... more like a wall being barely held together, heh... Tara suprised at being succesfull, come on girl have a little more faith in yourself!

I so adored Willow being all panicky in her room (over-ordered much?) about changing rules, the universe, her clothes and how the conversation would go. Still the planner supreme after all. It's no wonder she feel safer in the dark, she has likely lived most of those 19 years in dark places. She still wants to try daylight though, which is a good thing. (I like that she did explore the option and then decided against Tara living in the dark)

I was wondering what would happen if Willow would wear the soul-gem to the coffee-shop, would it go all glowy near Tara ?? That would attract Tara's attention for sure... speaking of stones; does Tara have her own Doll's Eye crystal ? Hmmm... what would happen if Tara visited Willow's room... no doubt we'll see that later on :)

Willow reading the beginning of book 2 of LotR; heh, happens to coincide with a certain movie coming out real soon ?

As for Willow wanting to go back to the person she was 19 years ago, that would be a waste. Get rid of the bad habits and influences sure, but certainly she has learned some things in those 19 years which are NOT bad ?

Paris catacombs are not nice btw. used as storage to clear old cemetaries decades ago. Lots and lotsa bones there. Willow and Tara visiting Paris one day (above ground), sounds like a nice holliday-fic (hint, hint). Recommend they don't fly Willow Air though, kinda drafty :D

Speaking of drafty, Willow was all with the coming-on wasn't she ? That has certainly changed in 21 years, definitly a change worth keeping, heh. Whipped cream, hmmm...

Occured to me that Willow might have some books Giles would like to read very much. She's certainly has travelled a lot so there is a good chance she found one or more unique books. And Giles does like books :)

Enough rambling for now. I liked this update a lot, honest I did, but I got to catch some sleep now :yawn .

Grimmy

"You hurt Tara," Willow said too calmly. "The last one who tried that was a god. I made her regret it." -- Unexpected Consequences by Lisa of Nine

Edited by: Grimlock72 at: 12/12/02 3:18:13 pm

Post subject: the update
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 5:20 pm 
:rollin

Wow, that was really wonderful....the kiss at the end was all suspenseful. Then they were just so sweet to each other...it was really cute. Thanks and I know I haven't posted before but this is one of my favorite fics, thanks!

:clap

WILLOW: Usually I use that time to copy over my class notes with a system of different colored pens ... but it's been pointed out to me that that's, you know, insane.

TARA: I said "quirky.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 5:42 pm 
WOWSERS!! :bounce :clap

*HUGS you tightly!!**

That was..just..amazing..wonderful..happy..lovely...YAY!! :drool

HEHE

LOVED this update!! *SIGHS*

Can't wait to see what happens next!! :pray

Great job and keep up the great work!

~NICKOLE~

------------

"Nobody messes with my girl"

Post subject: Re: Chapter 12
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 5:58 pm 
I'm so happy that the kiss went over as well as it did, but I did make you wait for it, didn't I? (-;

brendcat: Thanks. I love watching people read; I'm glad that worked for you.

Grimmy: I'm looking forward to the new LotR movie, though actually the movie is books 3 and 4 by Tolkien's divisions. Books 1 and 2 are both in Fellowship. The publisher made it into three separate physical volumes because of the length and inadvertently created the fantasy trilogy genre, which seems to have been superseded by the four or five book series as the new standard. Hopefully this won't continue.

I really enjoyed the Paris catacombs myself as well as Pere Lachaise cemetary. I like the idea of a short, happy W/T in Paris fic. I'd need to research it though...I guess I came up with my execuse to return to France.

I'm glad you liked the bolder Willow and Tara overcoming her shyness.

Now that's an interesting idea about Giles there. Hmmm...I even mentioned a particular book in this chapter.

hopico99: I'm glad the suspense leading up to the kiss worked.

Silver: *G* Thanks so much for the hug. I love to see you almost but not quite speechless there.

--

Post subject: Re: Chapter 12: Once More
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 6:06 pm 
Hey, boy, nothing less than an A+! Well done! ;)

Sea

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 7:31 pm 
Sea, you posted! Coolness, and thanks.

--

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 7:53 pm 
DMW,

I'm having a great time reading this! One of the top W/T stories in my list.

The truth is that I can't find the words to tell you how much I like this story. My vocabulary left me in the moment I needed it most! :) I'm absolutely loving it. The pace, the characters, the general idea... and now you managed to put in it some city touring discussion! Willow telling about the dark side of cities was the icing of the cake! You write a wonderful older Willow and a great younger and different Tara -but still her. I guess this last part could have been a bit difficult to construct but you did it greatly.

Congrats! :clap

Sea

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:25 pm 
i cant believe you are such a tease, my darling! please, please update soon and can we please have a continuation from there? can we have missing scenes from the coffee shop too? hehe... can we also have- just kidding. reading willow so giddy, reading the flirt in her, reading the flicker of green in her black eyes, reading the kiss that wont end... sigh... hope... and i'm still :hmm about the :sh

"We're forgetting about the troll. Let's pay attention to the troll." Tara, Triangle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:34 pm 
Hey DMW--This is a great story, and such an original one, too. I think that what I like most is reading Willow's inner world (well, that and the smoochies!) as she considers how much she's changed even while she still needs Tara to be complete. I love the world that the two of them have created, a world that's going to get some unwelcome company when Giles makes his appearance on the scene.

You've done such an incredible job taking us along Willow's path, showing us the desperation and unyielding determination of her search. She's done such dark things in the name of something so light--that's gotta mess w/ a person at some level! (Or maybe not...) And how is this Tara different from the original Tara? So many wonderful questions that just make this story a real treat, on so many levels, to sink into.

Thanks for sharing your creativity w/ us!

Mary

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 10:50 pm 

>She would give anything to have her old life back, but getting it back wasn't a simple matter of wishing. She had seen too much of the darkness to believe life was that easy. Changes had to happen inside her. It would be a slow process, happening a step at a time. You had to plant in the cold darkness of Winter for roses to bloom in the Spring.>>

I loved that bit right there. It says so much about Willow. On the outside she is this dark, serious, and lets not forget dangerous girl. But inside, well, everythings still inside, ya know?:shy

Also I really found it interesting how Tara looked into Willow's eyes when they kissed. The glimmer of green :heart

-Will

"Hear that baby? You're my always."

Post subject: Re: ...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 10:54 pm 
This is easily my most favorite chapter. The writing seamlessly weaves past, present, and future, day and night, light and dark, folding and unfolding a tapestry of hope and possibility. I love how a statement like:
Quote:
Changes had to happen inside her.
finds its exquisite reflection in:
Quote:
…as she gazed into those eyes she noticed a glimmer of green beneath the darkness.
how what passes one moment for the truth:
Quote:
They would be together in the night. Everything terrible that had happened to her had happened in the light of day.
is no sooner thought than positively undercut, contradicted:
Quote:
No, Tara had a light within her that was meant for the brightness of day.
I did have one question, though. Was the use of the word “opponent” Willow’s or your Freudian slip? (I thought of what went on in this chapter was not so much a chess match as a dance.) And this:
Quote:
Tara had always wanted to go to Europe, especially France.
Sister Bertrille commends Tara for her excellent taste!

SB

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 11:29 pm 
Nice update!

Quote:
...a glimmer of green beneath the darkness.

That was so sweet.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:50 am 
A kiss, finally!!! :bounce :bounce :kiss

Great update!!!

Stef :p

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 8:07 am 
Willow's panic buying of everything in her size from the online store was so adorable, bless her. Her not knowing how to classify the meeting with Tara, repeatedly correcting herself for calling it a date showed how nervous she was too.

I really liked how she is aware that she has to start living in the light again, but knows it won't be an easy thing to do. It shows how much she's grown, no longer looking for the quickest solution.

Adding up the total of a love that's true, multiply life by the power of two
Indigo Girls

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 9:28 am 
:smash

fun!

Coffee, smooches :tara :kiss :willow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:00 pm 
Yay! Alls I can say is yay! Sigh…great smoochies and this chapter flows so smoothly, with excellent transitions. I’m envious how quickly you can write such great chapters! Looking forward to the next update….

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:04 pm 
DMW,

Just wanted to pop in and add my praise for your story...and apologize that I haven't posted praise for this fic before...the lurker in me usually wins the "post or don't post" battle.

However, this particular episode was especially touching with the whole concept of the "first date" and Willow adventuring into the light again for Tara after 19 years of Shadows and Darkness. Appeals to the hopeless romantic in me...SHHH don't tell anyone...

Then of course there is the kiss...beautifully written. I am entirely lacking in the language department to do it justice so simply...WOW!

I look forward to the next installment with great anticipation...will Tara be able to restore the green to Willow's eyes???...I can't wait...but I will...

Thanks for writing this!

-E

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:31 pm 
DMW, oh gosh, so many good things happening in the last two updates.

The Willow/Spike flashback was great. Thank goodness someone finally dusted him. He is a monster who will never change, soul or no soul.

Giles' dilemna is interesting. Can't wait to see how that plays out.

The coffee date was perfect and my, what a beautiful kiss.

DMW, this story is so well thought out and written. The depths of Willow's character that you are exploring are simply intriguing. Can't wait to read more.

She's my everything!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:11 pm 
Loved this chapter of course, i can tell you I didn't expect a kiss but god was I grateful. And the hope in the gaze, the green still there .. sigh.

This got to me though
Quote:
They would be together in the night. Everything terrible that had happened to her had happened in the light of day. Discovering Oz's betrayal. Glory taking Tara. And Tara's death. In the dark, she had grown strong. She could teach Tara all she had learned of the night. They wouldn't need the world of the day, would they?

I can see why Willow would prefer darkness and feel safer in it.

-------------------------------

Buffy?

Let's change it, the Discovery channel has koala bears.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:38 pm 
DMW, I read this story this morning and walked around all day with a huge grin on my face. Thanks for showing us a happy W/T. I know angst happens in the interest of plotting (and having it in the background here made it even more interesting), but sometimes the girls just need to talk over a cup of coffee. And laugh. And kiss. And, um, kiss again.

I love that Willow waited for Tara to make the first move. I love that Tara made it.

"Why did I have to be so veiny?" -- Alyson Hannigan

Post subject: Feedback once more...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 6:51 pm 
I'm so happy the kittens liked the kiss as much as they did. Writing it, I felt as nervous as Tara was anticipating it. It is my first, after all. (-;

Chapter 13, "Life After Death" will be posted next week.

Sea: Yeah, my trips to Europe have served as good research for this story. I like cemetaries, at least when they're as interesting as the Roman or Parisian catacombs or the many wonderful cathedral tombs. Thanks so much.

Rane: You're so greedy, wanting more W/T goodness. (-; Okay, I promise at least a little bit next chapter, but you'll just have to wait 'til then. And thanks for your silence about you know what.

AntigoneUnbound: Thanks. You ask an astute question: How is this Tara different from the original Tara? There are two Taras as much as there are two Willows and this fact will soon come to the surface.

willntlover: I like what you say here about Willow. Those are two of my favorite images from the chapter too.

Sister Bertrille: I love your feedback. I really do.

As for the word "opponent," I actually had a sentence in there explaining that she didn't think of Tara as an opponent as dating was different than chess but I couldn't make it feel less than awkward so I cut it. I think you're right that the date flows more like a dance, but the conversation trees are something I do that felt Willowish to me and making them feels like planning a game of chess.

Italy has more art and history, including almost all my favorites, but for living your vacation, France is the best.

FlereImsaho: There is hope and Tara can see it.

deixs: Thanks.

mollyig: I'm glad you like nervous Willow. It's a big change for her.

vamp nurd: Thanks.

frumpycat: Alas, it's not quick; I have all the chapters written well ahead of time though I do substantial final revisions in the week before posting.

AlwaysE: I'm glad the lurker lost this time. Willow has a lot of changing to do yet, and so does Tara, before everything can be right between them.

TiggrScorpio: Thanks so much. We'll keep seeing deeper into Willow, but it's about time to see more deeply into Tara as well.

xita: It hit me while writing this chapter that despite all the vampires and darkness, the really bad stuff all happened to Willow during the day and that she would have to realize that the darkness hadn't been as dangerous as the light of day had been for her.

ruby: Oh, wow! I'm so happy I could do that for you. It's a dark story, but they are in love and no matter how dark the night, they will have moments of joy and happiness to help them through it.

I'm glad you liked Tara making the first move. I kept vascillating between her and Willow going first as I thought about this scene.

--

Edited by: darkmagicwillow at: 12/13/02 5:00:11 pm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 1:09 am 
Quote:
You had to plant in the cold darkness of Winter for roses to bloom in the Spring.

That is an absolutely beautiful line. And it says so much about Willow. She understands her darkness, even if she has let it control over the years. But she wants to be different and that's good. And love will help lead her way, right?

I like the way that you're showing Willlow's thinking, almost rationalizing, process. That she's lived in the dark so long and so much bad has happened in the light. Like it would be better to bring Tara there to her life than join Tara in hers. I love the internal stuff.

I have to really feel for Willow. Here she is, suffered through so much and caused some of it, and she is on a first date with the other half of her soul. She knows it but Tara doesn't. It's got to be difficult not to fall into that familiar feeling.

Tara watching Willow read was a beautiful image. The ending of this part was great. I like that Tara took the initiative.

Staying on the edge of my seat ...

--celia

ps ... I didn't stay stay chatting. Work has taken over my life, stealing my time to write :p

---------------------------------

"That was just rude. Now I forget what I was saying."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 2:58 am 
Oh DMW what a precious update, so beautiful. I must compliment you in the way you capture their emotions (making them so palpable to me) it's such a joy to behold/read. Even in Willow's anxiety/fretting over having coffee, and the implications of such an act (ie her "date" conundrum), you can sense there is hope in possibilities of what's to come. With this in mind, Willow thinking, ("Changes had to happen inside her. It would be a slow process, happening a step at a time. You had to plant in the cold darkness of Winter for roses to bloom in the Spring.") was quite profound. Really what wonderful imagery to convey that it won't be easy, but with wanting to change for herself, and having Tara as her "guide"/support, she can "bloom" (ie come into the "light").

I too thought it interesting how Willow notes that all of "pain" (ie Glory, "Oz's betrayal") occurred in the light, but what truly resonated with me was Willow resolving her dilemma over taking Tara into her "world". Meaning, Willow thinking, ("No, Tara had a light within her that was meant for the brightness of the day. It wouldn't survive the darkness of winter's night. She had to learn again how to deal with the world with its people and everyday happenings. The time of darkness has passed, though it would be long before it's shadows left her."). Again this is another confirmation that Willow could go the easier route and stay in the "darkness", but she knows for Tara (as well as herself) she needs to venture into the light (ie truly live).

Loved the moment where Tara was observing Willow from outside the coffee shop. Before Willow was all nervous about their "date", but for that brief moment while she was engrossed in her book, I think Tara was able to see just the girl (and not the mysterious, "dark" Willow with the protective shield). Really this was as close to an unguarded moment where Tara could just revel in her "beauty" not just on the outside, but the inside as well.

Lastly, one can never get enough of their flirting, and how I enjoyed their exchange over the sites in Paris. Or in other words, you can see what comes naturally to each, with Willow mentioning "bones" (ie her spending most of her time underground), while Tara wants to view Paris in the light/above ground. Therefore, I loved the idea that one day they might see Paris together from above, with Tara "as her guide" (ie taking this metaphorically one can see with Tara's support/influence she is "guiding" Willow, giving her the strength to wanting to find the "light"). And that kiss was just wow, you captured that moment beautifully (I was truly "spell-bound" :heart ), especially with Tara "noticing a glimmer of green beneath the darkness" (ie another sign of hope). Can't wait to see what happens next!

Edited by: VampNo12  at: 12/14/02 1:17:12 am

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 2:00 pm 
Goddess, what a beautiful chapter! :clap The whole fic is a masterpiece. :)

Wonderful how you captured Willow's soul and is showing to us in such a clear, profound way. She's starting to go through a major transition after meeting the "new" Tara, and this is certainly not something easy to describe. But you are doing it with perfection.

And that kiss... wow! :thud If it was your first, sweetie, I'm dying to see the future ones... ;)

--------------------------
"She had tasted Willow on her tongue, and she had worn Willow on her skin. There wasn't a shower in the world that could have washed that away." (Terra Firma, by Tulipp)

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 2:57 pm 
lol! it's not just a matter of silence my dear it's a matter of still trying to figure it out too! :p

and yay, more goodies coming up soon!

"We're forgetting about the troll.
Let's pay attention to the troll." Tara, Triangle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 9:23 pm 
Wonderful update as usual..And this one so touching.

The coffee date was so cute, and Tara making the first move was delightful!

BV

"In front of total strangers won't you kiss me, Flowers for no reason but you miss me - OOH, I wanna be in love"

Melissa Etheridge-Skin

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 629 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 21  Next