The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 801 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Riley Rhymes and Other News
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 8:12 pm 
Very nice. Here is one for you.

The Big I T

Writes poetry

And defies her own intention

By the time she's done

Riley's clearly the one

There will be no abstention.

Willow and Tara agree

He's so cute, that Riley

We need no intervention.

Just look at your sig....

You might as well dance a jig

To give Riley lots of attention.

:grin

(Third stanza is added to make sure we're on topic.) :)

"Don’t make fun. I worked long and hard to get this pompous."
--Riley in "Fear Itself"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 8:48 pm 
Haiku anyone?

Homely Riley Finn

Whistles while he works

In a field in Iowa

(Um --- when Riley says "Iowa" it's one syllable.)

Hell I don't know.

------------------------

She settled for second best and so she found me - John Wesley Harding

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 9:04 pm 
Onto the screen strode a yokel named Riley

Nondescript ‘cept for a bad haircut – my-oh-my-ly

“Pish posh,” frowned a defensive Tulipp.

“And to all who make fun a finger I flipp.”

“He’s my guy no matter how lacking in style-y.”

--------------

Got no personal issues with that fella named Riley

Not my type but doesn't make my stomach go biley

Still, there's one thing I can think to recommend him

“How ‘bout them Broncos,” made him seem a bit less dim

'Though his sex appeal's still on par with a poke-in-the-eye-ly

--------------

She goes on and on ‘bout the wonders of Riley

And thoughts of his tater nose make her all kinds of smiley

But let’s not mention it to Tulipp.

It’ll be just ‘tween me and you snipp...

He’s 'bout as appealing as salad served French fry-ly

"How 'bout them Broncos..." -- Riley, saying something undeniably charming and useful, in The Initiative

Edited by: The Big I T at: 9/28/02 5:38:31 pm

Post subject: Re: Terra Firma
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 5:33 am 
I just spent two days reading this powerful story. I looked at this story when you first posted, but you said it would be angsty, and I didn't think I could take much more despair. I decided to give the story a try, and I am glad I did. I guess that goes to show one can not judge a story by its first few chapters.

I really love how you get inside the heads of all of the characters. My favorite part is when you show Tara's resurrection from everyone's perspective. Again, magnificent work, and I am glad I decided to read it.

Tara: My heart doesn't stutter.

Tara: Willow, I got so lost.
Willow: I found you. I will always find you.

Willow: Hi, um Tara. I was wondering maybe you want to go out some time for coffee? food? Kisses and gay love?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 4:22 pm 
I never gave much thought to Riley

Til I found that my hankerin' was guy-ly

It's all Tulipp's fault

Now I'm soft on a dolt

Who's as much use as a wet week in Filey.

Sigh. The wonders of British seaside town names.

Edited by: xita  at: 9/30/02 7:02:44 pm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 6:45 pm 
... And the advantages of being as American as Apple Pie-ly

--------------

She settled for second best and so she found me - John Wesley Harding

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 6:59 pm 
Now as you all know:

Snipp, IT, Emma, Tommo,

I regard you very highly.

You rhyme really nice

And talk lots of spice

And I read it and laugh kinda shyly.

And I see all your points

And it's not like I'd boink

Him or leave my girlfriend high and dryly.

But though his character went poorly

And he stopped saying "shorely,"

There's just something about that guy Riley.

Okay, I'm done now.

And on to say, The Rose24, thanks for giving this story another try. The first few chapters were fairly hopeless, I know, and really it was angsty the whole way through, but I hope that by the end that the angst was outweighed by the good stuff.

But I know what you mean about not needing any more despair. So thanks for reading this one anyway, really.

"Don’t make fun. I worked long and hard to get this pompous."
--Riley in "Fear Itself"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 4:25 am 
Juli, honey, my new office is going into a building that is just a few blocks from the local "Happy Hospital". This Riley thing... I could make some arrangments with my new neighbor for you. You'd feel much better I'm sure. :eyebrow

"Live or die, but don't poison everything..." -Anne Sexton

Post subject: Uncle
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 7:42 pm 
Okay, I give under the pressure of you lovelies.

I will stop.

But...what will we talk about now?

Edited to add that for people who are still actually reading and not joining in Riley Poetry Fest 2002, the last chapter is on page 34 of this thread. :)

"Unless you give me a reason to stay ... I'm leaving tonight." --Riley to Buffy in "Into the Woods"

Edited by: Tulipp at: 9/30/02 10:54:01 am

Post subject: Re: Uncle
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 8:00 pm 
Wow, for a minute there I thought you were going to go a whole post without mentioning his name, but you came through in the end. ;)

And yes, where will you go from here?

Kasey

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"You should come around here on Halloween,
you'd really see something then...
we all jump off the roof and fly."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 9:42 pm 
Firstly, the title of this post is "uncle" which weirds me out. But hey, there you go.

And secondly, Juli's next fictionapalooza will center around a young innocent from Iowa who comes to the Hellmouth looking for clothes from "Large and Tall". There he finds much more than he bargains for, discovering that yes, he is in fact a lesbian.

Woo! Can't wait. :)

Edited by: xita  at: 9/30/02 7:01:37 pm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:01 pm 
Tulipp - I hadn't had a chance to read this when you first started posting, but I saw it mentioned in the Recommendations thread and started it the other day. I am only on ch.8, but I am blown away. It is heart-wrenching, deep, and lyrical. It will be hard for me to tear myself away from it over the next several days in order to actually do my work, now that I know it is complete. Thank you for sharing this!

Edited to add: I love the conversation between Willow and Giles in ch.9. (See - I can't put it down!!) The connection with the Slayer that Spike killed fit in so well, and the explanation of the addiction metaphor makes so much more sense.

Life is full of changes...The better you are at letting go of things, the freer your hands will be to catch something new. ~from Off The Map by Joan Ackerman
"It's good to be a chicken casserole," Tara murmured before passing out. ~from "Answering Darkness" by Sassette

Edited by: Pixie gishmock at: 10/2/02 9:52:46 am

Post subject: Terra Firma
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:19 pm 
Pixie, don't do your work; just read! Okay, bad advice probably.

Seriously, thanks for reading this; chapters 8 and 9 seem so long ago, and yet when I look back I realize it was just a couple of months ago. This story really took over my life; I lived and breathed it for months, and it's kind of hard to see it over now.

I'm not sure that any other fanfic I write will have the deep emotional investment for me that this one had; it was partly about timing, partly about hurt, and partly about closure.

Anyway, I digress. I hope that you enjoy the rest of the story!

Ruth, please note that I removed the word "uncle" from the subject line. :grin

"I came to see the damage that was done and the treasures that prevail." -- Adrienne Rich.

Post subject: Re: Fic: Terra Firma
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 10:18 pm 
I've been coming to this story in between my own writings and I really like the angst and the way you've captured the characters. I really like this story!

-Allyson

"After one take, Joss did say, 'Can we have one that's less like you're going to sleep together in about five minutes?'" - Alyson Hannigan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 10:04 am 
Tulipp, thank you so much for writing this. I know I'm way late on commenting but I only started reading this a few days ago. Heh, and now I'm finished.

This story was just amazing. You were true to all the characters and made me see them as caring for each other in a way I haven't in a long, long time. I really appreciate that.

Reading this story felt wonderful. Just, thanks for this. This is the way it should have continued.

————––

"There's a whole lot of singing that's never gonna be heard

Disappearing everyday without so much as a word somehow"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 3:53 pm 
Allyson, thanks for saying so. Youv'e got some angst of your own going, of course! :wink

BytrSuite, thanks for reading. Now seems like a pretty good time to have some care and connection among these characters, what with all the events of the new season. As I said, I'm pretending that it really did happen this way. :)

The show on tv, as far as I'm concerned, is now AU.

Thanks to you two and others for reading!

"I'm just trying to help." -- Riley in "The Initiative."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 9:26 am 
Tulipp,

I too am late in coming to this fic, but it's fashionable to be late right? Right? *poppy looks around, suddenly unsure...*

Anyway, this was wonderful, simply wonderful. All the other more eloquent kittens have said exactly why it was wonderful, so I won't embarrass myself by trying. I just wanted to say thankyou for writing this. It was painful at times, and angsty (I have to say I do rather like angst) but unbelievably beautiful and full of hope in the end. You are an amazing writer and I look forward to reading more of your work.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 9:19 am 
Tulipp,

I didn't know how sad I as about Tara's death and the direction of "that show" until I read this fic. I started crying as I read it. I think I really did feel loss and didn't really have anyway to grasp that or understand it. I realized as I read this fic that the beauty with which you wrote about the love that Willow and Tara have for each other was everything that I never saw on BTVS. You wrote them in a way that made sense and was so incredibly loving and thoughtful. I usually just lurk but I wanted you to know that this fic really helped me to heal from a loss that was deeper than I realized. Thank you, you're an amazing writer.

peace

edited to add:

sorry for not commenting sooner but I'm always late.

WILLOW: Usually I use that time to copy over my class notes with a system of different colored pens ... but it's been pointed out to me that that's, you know, insane.
TARA: I said "quirky."

Edited by: hopico99 at: 10/15/02 12:20:45 am

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 9:31 pm 
Well, I know it's kind of rude to bump this thread up like this, but I thought it would be ruder not to say thank you. Sorry for the bump, but thanks to:

Poppyeleven, you are extremely fashionable, if I do say so myself. And I do because my gf and I were 2 ½ hours late to a party on Sunday afternoon. Thank you so much for reading this and for posting; I appreciate your kinds words so much, I really do.

Hopico99, and thank you, too. I know how you feel; I think that fics are hitting me closer to the heart right now as I deal with season severed, too. I find it so hard to talk to people who aren’t Kittens about the show, let alone about fanfic, but I think that we are so lucky to have this medium as a way to deal with the hurting because there’s still so much of it. At least, I feel that way. Thanks for reading this—it means a lot!

"Run, flee, maybe skedadlle. We're not here to engage. This is strictly recon." Willow, on season seven, in "This Year's Girl"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 1:35 am 
new to the archive :) And you can still leave feedback!

-------------------------------

Buffy?

Let's change it, the Discovery channel has koala bears.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 6:47 am 
Hey Tulipp--The minute I saw your name on this fic, I knew I wanted to read it. And having done so, in one long, incredibly rapt sitting, I wanted to write to tell you that it was the best fic I've encountered--here or elsewhere.

You received so much incredible and insightful feedback throughout the story, so I don't think that my comments will necessarily add new information to all of it. I just very much wanted to point out some of the things that I loved.

First of all, the flow of your writing is amazing. I think that what I most admired was the way that you took a very dramatic situation and painted it out in such poignant yet never-mawkish or melodramatic fashion. Willow's dawning realization that Tara is actually alive, that she can let herself believe this, is simply incredible. The moments of their reconnection are depicted in an almost understated fashion. There's not a single cliche or overwrought phrase in there (or in the entire piece, for that matter). I thought that it was incredibly clever and effective to have the moment of Tara's reappearance at the Magic Shop be shown from multiple POV's along w/ the exact minute of their emergence. There was so much to be told and shown in that scene; I think that by breaking it down as you did, you helped the reader get a true sense of its import--far beyond what we would have had if you had relied only on dialogue and one perspective. Having read this story, I appreciate your comments on POV even more.

You also nailed the characterizations incredibly well. There were so many, but I want to mention one in particular b/c it involved a lesser character and one of his dynamics that is usually missed: I sat nodding my head in agreement when Anya cut through Xander's diatribe and commented that he liked her "weak and needy." That was deliciously apt.

And a few phrases that I found simply wonderful...

** the finger-kiss of skin on skin;

** a tiny white pocket of extra time;

** The time for object lessons was done;

** crawling flesh and quicksand shame;

** "You have no victims here. Save your atonement for those you really hurt."

I could have picked so many more, but those give a sampling of my appreciation of how you use language--the allusion to a thing; a path not named verbatim but marked with such powerful blazes that only the blind could fail to see it. I felt like this was especially the case where emotions were involved.

The paragraph in which you described the mental chain of events that could take Willow from honey to Tara was simply brilliant. As a reader, I was taken on that path and it was utterly believable. As a therapist who does a lot of grief counseling, I also want to say that you nailed it: All roads lead to the beloved.

And finally, I simply sighed and smiled so many times as the story unfolded and the people became those people we originally fell in love with. I so resonated with the theme that they deserve some easy times; they deserve forgiveness; they all NEED forgiveness; laughter is a fine and good thing to have no matter how dire the circumstances. When Buffy walked into the Magic Box and took in the scene before her, and then quickly scanned over all that she could do and all that she hadn't done before, recognizing that sometimes there were choices that we could make, ones that would help undo past mistakes--that scene was amazing. She chose to comfort Willow, attend to her. It was wonderful.

Anything else you've written? Because I would jump all over it like Jenna Bush on a fake ID.

Thanks,

Mary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:12 am 
What AntigoneUnbound said (now there’s something you don’t here everyday!). Or to borrow shameless from Dorothy to the Scarecrow, “Terra Firma, I think I’ll miss you most of all!”

Where to begin with this wonder of a story? Ah, yes…

Mark

As others have noted (and in a much more timely fashion), I marked how superbly you drew every single blessed character. The two I will single out here are Dawn and Buffy, because Season Six really did a number on both of them as personalities. What you have done with Dawn is simply marvelous – I smiled every time she appeared. What my dad would call, “a great kid,” she reminded me of how we must trust the young people we have raised, or taught, or guided, to do the right thing when their time comes. Your Dawn does not even think about resurrecting Tara, she does it because that is what is what her heart wants.

In Six of One, (yeah, I know, but sometimes a girl needs a little froth to go with the Sturm und Drang!), one of the teenage characters defies her mentor in a most unexpected fashion to “keep faith” with her family and friends. If I mention Six of One here, it is also because I loved the complexity and consistency of its characters’ personalities and interactions – they were a real tight crew, in every sense of the word.. You have done the same, in fact, surpassed that, with your story.

And Buffy? Wow. During most of Season Six, I found myself screaming at the screen, “Shut up, Buffy!” or “Could you be more whiney, Buffy?” or “Shit or get off the pot, Buffy!”, so profoundly did she come to annoy me. I had been with the show from Day 1, and until Tara (and W/T) came along, there was Buffy, with her good humor, common sense, loyalty, and strength. It was terrific to have that back after so long.

The only characters I was a bit concerned about were Willow and Tara. What I loved best about them is their sexy goofiness with one another, and I wondered how you would write them there. I ought not have worried – you unerringly led them (or let them lead you) where they needed to go to get them hand-in-hand, running and squealing in the rain, just “a couple of white chicks sittin’ around talking” on the back porch! Beautiful.

Yen

I have a yen to read more of your writing – your style is extraordinary. I kept think about early Carole Maso (before she read her reviews and let them swell her head like the Hindenburg), Olga Broumas, and two of my favorites, Colette and Pascal (don’t laugh!) profound, lyrical and yet so clear is your prose. And your love scenes rival Violette Leduc’s – “Hot. Thirst. Red. Swell,” indeed!

Buck

I adore how you buck the Whedon “life is built on a bedrock of pain, blah, blah, blah” school of thought. Your characters struggle, but they struggle and learn on their way to a better life, a more contented existence. Mr. Whedon could learn a thing or two from you and from Nicholas Cage in Moonstruck, who, even though he says “We are here to ruin ourselves, and to break our hearts, to love the wrong person, and die!” manages, like everyone in that movie (and your story), to save himself, to mend his heart, to love the right person, and live. Yeah, we all know it’s a vale of tears, but sometimes things can and do work out. All your characters, when faced with a tough decision, do the right thing. Willow comes back from the brink, opens her heart to Tara, and finds peace with her lover and friends. Tara embraces Willow and all that she done and makes her, and the gang, whole again. Anya – man, what a sweetie – shows her care and concern for everyone in so many ways, both large and (too!) small. Despite his initial misgivings, Xander – “for he is payday man! – pays Tara’s tuition. Perfect. And Giles is there to guide them all.

Pound

It is hard for me to resist the urge to pound on Mutant Enemy. So I will simply say that your story is “penny wise, pound wise,” it is impeccable. I have not watched any of Season Seven, and I have not the slightest desire to – I have no need to, I have my ending, and it is the one you wrote. So thank you for a poetic, a compassionate, a funny, a terrific read.

Or, as Andrea True said, “More, more, more!”

SB

Post subject: Oh. My. God.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 9:46 pm 
Heya there Tulipp. I didn’t want to read this while it was still unfolding in fear of spoilers, but I’ve been intrigued for a while now by the name of this fic… and now, at last, I just need to spill my praise. That, gush. Big time. I warned ya... :)

You’ve succeeded were Joss, ME and the entire writing staff of BtVS failed. You’ve brought the impact of Tara’s death on the scoobies to it’s worthy and true scale. You’ve managed to show that they had seen Tara as a person and mourned her death, which, y’know, was completely scratched off the show. Ahem. Even to read that Buffy found some sort of peace through Tara’s death… it was… even that was ringed like truth to me. Grief is not a one-sided deal and eventually, either we grow from experiencing it or we die as well. Dawn… ah, you’ve done marvels with her. You’ve portrayed her growing into a responsible, caring person capable of self-sacrifice when it’s needed. Her love for Willow shines through, it’s beautiful.

Willow’s grief was both amazing and just so painful to read. I cried at parts. The depths of her pain, the seemingly irreversible damage to her… I don’t know. It was depicted so fully and truthfully and… I can’t begin to explain how deeply it touched me. It was Willow, y’know? Without Tara. Mourning, hurting, damaged. Three months of hell. You had me there, every second. Also, the fact that she wasn’t instantly back to herself once Tara was there. God, you were dead-on! You’ve wrote a Willow that I know and love. Perfectly. Thank you.

You’ve taken the pile of contradictions that was season 6 and reorganized, explained and put it together again so it made sense. And really, isn’t it just a little too comfortable that once Glory’s gone, the all the Key related complications are just nicely solved? Y’know, she’s just a human now, simple as that? Not much sense. Seemed a lot more logical to me that there would be something more to Dawn.

Your writing is so soulful, and so touching… just so good.

I loved the way you wrote Buffy. Strong, full of emotions, and very true to her character on the show.

And Terra Firma is such a wonderful name. so… I don’t know. Perfect, just perfect. Caught me… I don’t know. I just love it. Suits perfectly.

Amazingly good fic. You’ve made the scoobies whole again, a family. Just… wow. I’m in love with this fic. Thank you. A hundred times over.

On Buffy, Season 7: ”Bored now…”

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 10:54 pm 
Finally, finally, I’ve managed to read all of this story in one long sitting – and Juli, by all that’s holy, was it ever worth it!

I know I’ve given feedback on the early chapters, but the last time was way back in August, and I’m so sorry I couldn’t make it back here before now. I don’t think I can add any more superlatives to the ones you’ve already received from so many people, and deservedly so. All I can really say is – I loved every single word of ‘Terra Firma’. This is how it should have been, and could have been if any of the show’s writers had one thousandth of your ability, and if they loved Willow and Tara as much as we do on this board.

My face is still streaked with tears from the ending, but then, I cried good tears almost throughout. Every word, every phrase, showed how much you care, and you made me care for the girls even more than I already did. And I didn’t think that was possible.

I’m no good at analysing stories, and I don’t want to pick out any favourite lines – because, as I said, I loved every word. So I’ll just say that this story moved me intensely, and I thank you for it.

I’m eagerly awaiting anything else you might create.

--Mike.

--------------------------------

Always.........

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:40 pm 
Wow...I was skimming the archive today and found these wonderful responses, and I wanted to say thank you to...

Antigone Unbound. Mary, I hardly know what to say except thank you SO much for finding and reading this. Your feedback is just like your fic...thoughtful and precise and a pleasure to read. I loved what you said about language alluding to a thing...that’s something I am working on in my writing right now--understatement and suggestion—so I appreciate your mention of it. Oh, and you may be needing your Jenna Bush outfit pretty soon, but I’m not absolutely certain about when. :) Thank you again.

Sister Bertrille...you know, I read your feedback a few times, and then it hit me. It’s money! Your headings are money! And then I realized I have some reading to do; I’m not sure I’ve read some of the authors you mentioned, so it’s off to the library for me. I think you just raised feedback to a whole new level. In the end, I’m so glad that Willow and Tara got to a recognizable place; for me, that was the problem: how to get to aplace where the characters I love and the charactersI see in front of me are the same again.

And oh my God! “A mark, a buck, a pound, or a yen.” I just got it! It’s Cabaret! Your money headings are from Cabaret! It’s Joel Gray and Liza Minelli slinking around the stage and shimmying coins! And there I am, full circle (and to the tune of the same old song)... "I just haven’t any words to express gratitude to a reader when I read what she did with her post....”

Mrs. Vertigo. Thank you immensely. You said something about the Scoobies being a family again, and I think that when I look back, that’s what I see as the hope of this story. Not just that Tara will come back, and not just that Willow will heal, but that all of the Scoobies can reconnect with one another.

Mike of the Nancy Tribe. Mike, I admit that my toes and I were really hoping you would come back and read the rest, although I was content in the meantime to read your fantastic Hellmouth High story. Thanks for coming back, though, and thanks for crying (how often do you say that to someone?). I think I know how much you love these two women; it shows in your writing. And your response means a lot. Thanks.

Thanks, kittens.

"And I'm eating this banana. Lunchtime be damned!" -- Willow in "Doppelgangland

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:16 pm 
I read this as a recommended fanfic over at the willtara mailing list and d/l it fr EF. The scene that got to me was when Dawn and the others were looking out the window watching Willow tell Tara what had happened while she was dead. It was a very private W/T moment and we got to see their reactions through Dawn's, Buffy's, Xander's and Anya's eyes. Simply beautiful. Congratulations Tulipp, you've done well. :clap

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 12:44 am 
Just popping in to dedicate my new posting level to Tulipp, without whom I'd probably still be a Floating Rose.

And to sing more praises to this story, which definitely rewards rereading.

"Why did I have to be so veiny?" -- Alyson Hannigan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:25 pm 
Oh, Tulipp this was an outstanding piece of work! You could feel the emotions, aprehension, fear, insecurity, love, and so much more.

Really, really wonderful!

-Allyson

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 5:08 am 
Really a great story. I wonderful way to spend some time on a quiet Sunday afternoon.

Rai

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 1:42 am 
Wow, this thread is still going with all this amazing new feedback. Well, Tulipp, you know how much I love this story, but it doesn't hurt to tell you again, does it?

Ruby, I also have to blame^h^h^h^h^hthank Tulipp for my current posting level. She's quite the influence, only in good ways of course. (-;

--

"Omnia mutantur, nihil interit." -- "Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 801 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next