The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: March Challenge: Open to All
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:43 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Topics: 2
People who've read some of my other fics may have noticed that one of the things I enjoy is coming up with crossover stories, this is the latest idea a crossover with Buffy characters in the Firefly universe, It’s a snapshot of a future series that I’m working on so it's a quite short, hope you enjoy it.

Series- Vixen
Title- Thinking about the verse
Author Mgraham93
Email: Matty.gr@hotmail.com
Rating Pg13
Disclaimer both Firefly and Buffy the vampire slayer belong to Joss Whedon
Summary- a talk between Willow and Tara about the (uni)verse

Tara sat on a patterned rug, looking into space thinking about home. It was quite far away from here, though she wasn't entirely sure where exactly here was, she knew she was on a ship 'The Vixen' which had been her new home for almost a year, she also knew there was probably a specific pin point of where they were but to her the pinpoint was just another part of vastness of the verse.

She had stayed in the room for most of the day writing a long letter to her mother about everything that had happened in the months between her leaving on board the vixen and today. This action had been prompted by the news that they were nearing a large colony planet where she could have the letter sent home.She had grown up on a small planet Tai-Sui-Xing Prime. One of the outer planets which had been untouched by the Unification wars. It was part of what Xander, the ships pilot had nicknamed the 'Tumbleweed planets' partly Terra formed worlds which were mainly used for horse and cattle breeding. Though she was happy on board the vixen she still missed her home, missed the nights when she sat with her mother her mothers family and the farm hands listening to their stories racing across the plains on her horse shadow, the days when if a storm hit she sheltered in the stables to calm the horses, though in the last few weeks at home the barn held new passionate memories of first love.

The crew of the Vixen had been on the planet to trade and make some repairs to the ship. Sarah Maclay, Tara’s mother and the person they had been trading with had welcomed them into her home The Maclay ranch until the repairs could be completed. The crew had stayed with the Maclays for several weeks over which time she and the ships captain Willow Rosenberg had become lovers. Eventually when it was time for the ship to leave after an emotional goodbye to her mother and her cousin Beth, Tara had left with the ship.

Her train of thought was broken when Willow entered the room yawning as she sat down next to her. on the rug.

"You look tired sweetie," Tara said rubbing her lover's back

"Faith’s figured out today is Saint Patrick’s day," Willow sighed, "She's trying to get a drinking game going."

"Oh I bet Buffy is extremely happy about that," Tara said sarcastically.

"She certainly isn’t, I think she's figured figured out Faith can drink most people, including herself under the table."

"Took her long enough." Tara remembered one of the nights back on the family ranch when a drinking contest had taken place between some of the Farm hands, Buffy and Faith. Xander had nonchallently commented that against Faith they didn't stand a chance and Faith had quite easily proceeded to out drank them all.

"One of the perks of being the captain," Willow grinned "I get to spend time with you and not get questioned about it," Willow paused she recognised the expression Tara had when she had entered as one of deep thought, "so what were you thinking about."

"The verse," Tara eventually replied, "how tiny we really are, how easy it would be to got in that cold emptiness, but also how glad I am that you swooped down to take me with you through the stars. It’s funny as well thinking how different the stars are from space compared to back home."

Willow smiled remembering the nights with Tara at the farm she knew the universe as the planets the stars acting more like fairy lights in the background she’d never really had the chance to learn the view from any particular planet before or the patterns that could be seen from the ground. Meeting Tara had changed all that, she'd learnt so much in her short time with Tara not just about the stars but about life on a ranch and most importantly about love. She looked back at at Tara to see she she was looking at her intently while grinning barely hiding a laugh.

"What’s so Funny?"

"You’ve got your thinking face on," Tara's efforts at hiding the giggle failed miserably but the feeling was infectious as Willow laughed with her. Tara had taken to naming some of her expressions, her quite famous resolve face, her worry face, happy face, nervous face and the one she had just shown thinking face.

"I was thinking about the verse as well before I met you I never knew the names of the stars and I went across the universe never knowing, I would never have guessed that waiting for me on one small planet in the verse was the love of my life, you taught me so much."

Tara gave her a half smile “you’re the one who taught me, being the verse travelling adventuring space cowgirl that you are, I mean I’d never been on a fancy ship like this before.”

"I don’t just mean the stars," Willow replied "I mean about love as well , you brought the fuzzy romantic side of me out and I feel so happy because of it.”

Tara leant in close and Kissed her gently, the kiss quickly deepened and soon they were locked in a passionate embrace, the two lovers quickly becoming lost in each other’s touches and kisses, waves of pleasure surged through them both, thoughts of the verse distant memories as they enjoyed every little touch. later much later they lay cuddled together contently wrapped in the rug.

The end

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:45 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 1
No Browncoat myself but this is cute.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:45 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Topics: 3
dtburanek:
Really enjoyed your story setting on Mars. I had thought of doing something similiar in the future so thank you for proving it can be done in a believable way.(See Jess - they don't have to be aliens, lol.) I really felt bad for Tara with her illness and each time she had a coughing fit I could imagine how stressed out Willow must have been. However, as much as I trust Willow's braininess, I might have made her test out her newly developed formula before drinking it myself if I were Tara. Thank god everything worked out for the best and the happy couple was able to benefit from the pleasant side effects. Great submission!

Mgraham93:
Matty, I am so happy you are doing this cross-over. I had actually thought about doing it myself for my next big story, but after doing my western short story, I think that ship has sailed (pun intended). But, it is definitely a very cool idea. Can't wait to see what you do with it. I love the short little glimps into what we will be in store for. Already, it's so much different then I imagined. I will be chomping at the bit until you get this started and see all the characters that you will bring together. Great submission!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:36 pm 
3. Flaming O

Topics: 1
Title – Two years
Disclaimer - I don't own anything and won't earn anything from this, plus I get 300 dollars a month from the army so you wouldn't manage to get much money out of me from court. 

Summary- The times have become worse in the US and a mandatory draft is instituted. Willow and Tara meet after loosing touch with one another. 

Note- I am currently serving in an army and wrote this on my IPhone because I don't have a computer on base. I didn't have much time and it isn't betaed so hopefully it's not full of mistakes and bad auto corrects. Send me a Pm if you spot anything and well I can't promise I will see your message very quickly but the next time I have time and access to the net I will change it. 

The Beatles song is "I forgot to remember to forget"

Things were different from the last time I had seen her. Almost two years of army life would do that to anyone I guess. I'm sure I seemed different to her too. It was odd seeing her in the green uniform, I knew she wore one and it was exactly like mine and yet, it seemed so much more amazing on her. 

It wasn't our choice to join the military, well in a way.  The wars had not stopped and even though we left Iraq, Afghanistan dragged on. Iran managed to become a nuclear power in 2040 when Tara and I were sophomores in high school. 

With the dwindling number of volunteers for the army the draft was instituted in 2041. Regardless of race gender or sexual orientation everyone, once they turned 18, had to serve two years in the army. 

Of course there were those that left the country, fled to Canada or used their foreign passports to escape abroad. So I guess Tara and I could have done that, but neither of us thought to do so.  We never could leave, it was our home. So we were drafted. 

Any chance I had of telling her was crushed, after all I knew what I was headed for. Two years of service living in barracks and definetly not getting to choose who I lived with. It was just easier never saying a word. Not a word that I knew I was gay, or about how much I loved her or how I was never going to fall in love with a man like she assumed. How I never wanted to be with anyone but her... 

It wasn't that I didn't try before our deployment, but every time I tried it seemed like my mouth would dry up like a desert fit only for a tumbleweed blowing threw let alone the torrent of words my  brain had in mind. The last time I had tried the words dwindled in my mouth until all I could choke out was "I'll miss you so much, Tara" 

We promised to write and to keep in touch even though the army was sending us to what felt like opposite ends of the world. We did manage to, for a while at least. 

Boot camp was tough. I wrote whenever I had time. In line to the mess hall. Between drills in the fire range, even the brief time that they gave us to shower and sleep, I wrote a bit. I can't say it was the best letter writing I had ever done and I'm sure at times I managed to babble on about nonsense but nonetheless I sent the letters to her. But eventually the strain got to the both of us and the flow of letters slowed and, well we dealt with such different things in the army, it's not like we could give each other details in letters. We both worked with classified information. 

I'm sure I can come up with a whole bunch of excuses for why we stopped writing but that's all they would be,  lame excuses. 

The time passed, I finished boot camp and started my job within the army. Not everything in the army was horrible. I met some great people. I got used to the infuriating lack of logic.  The annoying rubber bands at the bottom of our pants that cut into our skin and left a red indented line for hours once we took them off.  I even got used to the commanders that seemed so inept and finally accepted the army for what it was and what the army needed me to do. I never told anyone about my prefernces and they just assumed I was very shy. 

We partied when ever there was a chance and got leave fairly regularly. When we could we gladly took the four hour bus ride to the nearest city. 

We tried to celebrate as many holidays as possible and were lucky enough to get leave for St Patrick's day. I never put much effort into the holiday but at least for two years in a row I can say I didn't get pinched. I was wearing all green, just like everyone else around me.

We entered our usual bar. A cute place we found the second time on leave to the city. It had a good dance floor which pleased my friends and plenty of comfy couches to lounge around in which pleased me. Our usual table in the corner was empty. I camped out with some type of green drink that my friends shoved into my hands while they hit the dance floor.

I was just about to take a sip when I noticed long blonde hair. It had grown even longer since I had last seen her. I guess I stood up and walked over because the next thing I know my hand was on her arm and she was turning around. 

It had been so long since we last talked and now she was standing right in front of me looking as shocked as I felt. 

Something seemed to snap us out of our staring fest because I found my self engulfed in a strong hug. I'd missed this so much. She still used the same perfume. 

Finally pulling apart we made some type of excuse to our friends and I dragged her over to one of the couches. Our friends would understand, seeing someone from civilian life can remind you that the crazy time you are going threw isn't forever. So they let us go quietly and would wait till we got back to base to give us the third degree. 

I was so nervous I just managed to squeak out, "Sooo... How's life?! "

Tara smiled at me and I blurted out, "God I missed your smile Tara". 

Tara blushed and ducked her head as if she was trying to hide behind her hair like she used to, but army regulation requires us to have our hair up all the time. I have cursed that rule so many times but I took the time to curse it once again because it now meant I couldn't tuck her hair behind her ear and reveal her face like old times. 

"I just missed you" she replied. 

My heart leapt and hovered somewhere in the back of my throat, I cleared it and sat staring at her. She had not changed as much as I thought she had. A little paler but she seemed the same.

Tara interrupted my staring, "You've changed. You n-never used to be able to keep silent like that. Remember how we used to time it? How long I could keep quiet before you felt you had to break the silence?"

I chuckled, "Yes! I never managed to hold out for that long. But you know with the information I deal with... That was something I never thought would happen!  Who would let me work with classified information?! I was so sure that one day I would just start babbling on and on and leak out all the secrets they taught us."

She laughed and took a sip of my drink making a face at the alcohol. "I guess you managed since your not in jail."

"Mmmhmm, so tell me, anything special?"

It was so simple after that. We fell into the type of conversation we had in the past. We spoke for an hour before our friends showed up wanting to leave. I couldn't bear the thought of leaving Tara right after I had found her again. I managed to convince her to come back with me to the hotel. 

We talked into the morning, the conversation quieting down just before sunrise. 

"Come on Tara, I wan't to show you something beautiful." 

I dragged her up onto the roof of the hotel. It had a pretty view from it, not that we could see that in the dark. There was a small couch that we sat on while waiting for the sun to rise. 

"Tara, how did we loose touch? We promised each other, and well.."

"It was too p-painful Willow." Tara stated, and off my shocked look continued, "You really have n-no idea, it doesn't matter I guess but Willow I couldn't stop thinking about you, wanting to visit you and it just was to m-much. I thought if I could j-just forget then.."

"It would be easier? Tara I tried to forget you but I forgot to remember to forget! I couldn't and can't, more importantly I won't!" 

"I couldn't either." 

We fell silent again and watched the first rays of sunlight creep into the sky. I turned to watch her and couldn't stop myself from blurting out the question I had been keeping in all night, "Did you, did you start seeing someone Tara? Did you get a boyfriend?"

"Willow," she said while turning to face me, "I n-never p-planned to." 

Hope started to fill me, "What do you mean?" I said in a measured voice. 

"I, I meant to tell you this b-before we left but I, Willow." Tara stumbled over her words and finally gave up and simply buried her head into the side of my neck. My neck started to feel wet from all her tears. 

I rubbed her back and started to whisper all the words that I had never managed to say before. About how I never planned to get a boyfriend either, that I only had one crush back in high school and most importantly how one day I woke up knowing I was in love with her. 

Her shaking slowed and stopped. I pushed her gently until she leaned back, "Tara, I fell in love with you, I couldn't forget you because I still am."

Something shimmered in her eyes and she gave me a look I had never seen before. I leaned closer to her. Tara waited another second before finally closing the gap between us. 

It was a soft kiss and it didn't last for very long. Tara pulled back and smiled, "I've been wanting to do that forever." I answered her with another kiss. 

I'm sure with time we will figure out how we both were so blind we didn't see how much we loved the other. But for now nothing could pull me away from her. 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:15 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

vampyregurl73: Aww, that was SO SWEET. I felt so bad for Willow struggling through the war and losing Donny, but it was so good of her to stay with Tara to help out. I really enjoyed the beginning/intro bit about the war, it always makes things so much better when writers use the real dates and stuff, it adds a layer of depth to the story that I really appreciate as a reader. I love how Tara knew right away that Will was a woman, and how they would knock on each other's door each night and fall asleep together, so cute. Very good story, thanks for posting it!

JustSkipIt: I dug Dollhouse but never did see Epitaph One, I've heard great things about it though. You put Willow and Tara (and Xander, Anya, and Buffy) seamlessly into the Dollhouse 'verse in a very believable way. I liked how Buffy and Willow weren't friends, but they were thrust together in the gritty apocalyptic setting. I also really enjoyed the side story of Willow's hearing loss, as tragic as her story is it's truly saved her life (and Tara was super cute when she tapped her knee to get her attention). The need for frantic sex, to feel anything in a world where you can die at any second is really easy to understand and sort of poetic in a way, it was definitely the perfect way to end such a great story. I think you've inspired me to go back and rewatch Dollhouse, it's all on Netflix now.

dtburanek: Best.Side.Effect.Ever. You had Willow and Tara's character's spot on. Quirky Will was hilarious trying to pretend she didn't almost get all burnt up, and it's so Willow to have sent a calendar home so the gang's cards would arrive on time. Very cute fic.

Mgraham93: Firefly is totally my favorite "alt verse" so imagine how excite I was to read your post! Tara's naming of all Willow's faces was very sweet. How romantic, Willow coming and swooping Tara up off a tumbleweed planet to explore the 'verse with the crew!

morningstar: So many emotions, and they're all so powerful! Your story almost brought me to tears! It's like one of those sad novels by Nicholas Sparks, so much loss and longing and love. This story is so great! And you wrote it on an iPhone? Insane! I can barely bother to write out my grocery list on that thing. I want to say more about how great this story was but I just can't find the words, it's just really amazing, I love stories where they fall in love but are separated and then years later they find each other again. GAH! Love it!

-Saint

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:25 pm 
20. Not one Much for the Timber

Topics: 15
TITLE: California Grass

AUTHOR: Finey_McFine

RATING: PG13

DISCLAIMER: Willow, Tara and any other BtVS characters, as well as some random dialog, belong to Mutant Enemy. ALL other original characters belong to me!

SUMMARY: Totally AU! Set during The Great Depression in California.

AUTHOR’S NOTE: Hello All! As usual, I’m slipping in just under the wire. This fic is loosely based on the life of depression era photographer, Dorthea Lange. For the record, she was not gay…hince the fiction part! If you’re not sure who she is, look her up because she was pretty awesome and all time favorite of mine. Enjoy!

California Grass

Ira turned his head to glance at his daughter as the old Ford Woody bounced down the road, kicking up billows of dust in its wake. He chuckled lightly when he noticed the small green shamrock pinned to the lapel of her navy blue button down, even though St. Patrick’s Day had passed several weeks ago. Ira wondered if she’d forgotten to take it off or if she was just trying to make some sort of fashion statement, although he doubted it.

Ira’s daughter was definitely unconventional, from the blue bandana tied around her bright red hair to her yellow Mary Jane’s. She always seemed to be ahead of her time, opting to wear pants rather than the traditional form fitting dresses that were popular in the 1930’s; Willow Rosenberg was far too into her work to care what anyone thought of how she dressed. In her life as a documentary photographer, she wanted to be comfortable, and dresses or skirts just wouldn’t do. Ira understood and neither he, nor his wife, had ever done anything to push Willow towards conventionality. They allowed her to be herself and raised her as a strong and independent woman.

Today, like so many others, father and daughter were working together. They were driving south on highway 101 and heading towards Gilroy. Since the start of the depression, Willow’s studio business had fallen off dramatically and she had taken a job with the Resettlement Administration, photographing sharecroppers, displaced families and migrant workers across the state of California. She often traveled with her father, a Professor of Economics at UC Berkley. Ira gathered economic data on the poor and forgotten families and Willow photographed their plight. The trips were sometimes hard on Willow, both mentally and physically. She would often curl up in the back seat on the drive back to San Francisco and cry herself to sleep.

“Dad?” Willow said.

Ira was suddenly snapped from his reverie by the sound of his daughter’s voice, “Hmm?”

Willow smiled, amused by her father’s reaction, “Where are we going again?”

“Just south of Salinas, we got word there’s a pea-pickers camp down there.”

Willow nodded, pulling her feet up on the seat and wrapping her arms securely around her knees. “Why won’t the government help them? Do you think it will ever get better?”

Ira sighed deeply, “It’s complicated honey, but what you and I are doing, bringing awareness to their situation…it’ll help. It may not seem like it right now, but I believe that in the long run, it will. You’ve just got to keep your chin up!”

“Always the optimist, eh Dad?”

“What else is there?” He answered with a question. “Your Great Grandparents came to this country with nothing but the clothes on their backs and things were much worse than this. When you’ve got nothing but a positive attitude and perseverance, it’s bound to get better.”

“Thanks Dad.”

“For what?”

“For making things better,” Willow grinned and their conversation lapsed into much lighter subjects as they continued their hot and dusty drive south.

It was noon before they arrived at the pea-pickers camp. It was everything Willow expected it to be, and worse. The makeshift campsite was full of homeless migrant workers and their families. Their clothes were tattered and torn, their children shoeless and dirty. There was no running water and sanitary conditions were dismal at best. The reality of seeing people living in these conditions and the gravity of their situation never ceased to shock the redhead. It always took her several moments to get her emotions under control before she could begin working.

While Ira gathered his questionnaires, Willow limped to the back of the Woody to unpack her equipment. The 4x5 Graflex Series D was a large, bulky camera that appeared to be almost as big as Willow herself, even though it was the smallest available at the time. The lithe redhead never complained. Not only was she happy to have a job, but she had a passion for her profession; it wasn’t just a job for Willow, it was her life. She grabbed a satchel and began loading 4x5 negative cartridges inside, along with a journal, several pencils, and a canteen full of water. Willow kept copious field notes on the subjects in every image she captured and kept personal notes in her journal. Finally having gathered all the necessary items, father and daughter set out on their respective missions.

Several hours had passed and Willow had talked with and photographed over a dozen families. All of their stories were similar and all were heart breaking. The majority of people Willow interviewed came from the dust bowl in the mid-west, they were hungry and desperate. The last woman Willow photographed was new to the camp. Their car had broken down and her husband, along with two of her seven children, had taken the radiator into town in hopes of getting it repaired. She was sitting in a lean-to tent, with her daughters huddled around her and a baby suckling at her breast. As Willow photographed the family, the frail woman explained how they had no money and were living off vegetables from nearby fields and birds the children had killed. The migrant woman appeared to be in her mid to late forties and Willow was shocked to discover that she was only thirty-two. Once she finished photographing the family, Willow realized that she needed a break, and decided to take a walk down to the river.

Willow had been walking for quite sometime on the unkempt trail, with still no river in sight. The path was rocky, littered with tumbleweeds and the weight of her camera was causing her to frequently lose her balance and stumble. After nearly dropping the expensive camera, she decided to turn back; making it about a hundred yards before succumbing to the ache in her right leg. Willow looked around and found a patch of shade under a bushy tree and decided to take a much-needed rest. She leaned her tired body against the thick trunk of the tree, closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep.

Several moments later, Willow was awakened by a soft giggle and the sound of someone clearing their throat. She opened her eyes to see the figure of a woman; her delicate curves backlit by the afternoon sun. Willow squinted and held a hand over her eyes in an unsuccessful attempt to cut through the glare.

“You um, you d-d-dropped this a l-little ways back on th-the path.” The woman stuttered, holding out her hand.

“Oh, thank you,” Willow said as she reached for the item, her fingers sliding across the mystery woman’s soft hand.

“You’re w-welcome,” The woman answered politely.

Willow tried to stand too quickly and nearly toppled over.

“Woah, are y-you ok?” The woman asked as she reached to steady the redhead.

“Yeah, just lost my balance,” Willow said, slightly embarrassed as the woman giggled once again.

“What?” Willow asked as she brushed off her pants.

The woman ducked her head and quirked her lips into a half smile, “You um, you h-have a little drool…” She said as she pointed to Willow’s face; twirling her out stretched finger in a circle.

“Oh geez,” Willow laughed as she wiped her face on the sleeve of her shirt, “Thanks for picking this up and returning it to me. Most people would have just kept on walking or kept it for themselves so, thank you…again.” Willow grinned as she tucked the negative cartridge back into her saddlebag; it was the close up and the last picture she’d taken of the ‘migrant mother’ and her daughters.

“My name is Willow. What’s yours?” Willow asked. An awkward silence fell over them as the woman hesitated before answering.

“T-Tara, my n-name is Tara,” She said finally, as she nervously tucked some hair behind her ear and lifted her gaze to meet Willow’s.

To say that Willow was awestruck was putting it mildly; the woman was simply beautiful. Her dark blonde hair shone bright in the warm California sun, as it cast an almost ethereal glow around her body. But it wasn’t her hair that Willow was staring at, it was her eyes, they were the bluest eyes Willow had ever seen, and she was becoming weak in the knees at the intensity in which those eyes were staring at her.

“Wow,” Willow breathed as she thrust her hand forward, “It’s nice to meet you Tara.”

Tara hesitantly reached her own hand forward and gently clasped Willow’s hand in return. She giggled nervously and grinned from ear to ear, feeling oddly comforted from the contact.

Willow grinned in return, unable to take her eyes off the wonderful creature standing before her. As Tara shyly cast her eyes downward, Willow took the brief moment to study Tara’s delicate features. She immediately noticed the dimple on her right cheek and her perfectly chiseled cheekbones. Willow soon realized that she was still holding Tara’s hand and gave her a reassuring squeeze before letting go.

“Tara, may I photograph you?” Willow asked.

Tara shrunk back briefly and her eyes darted from side to side as she pondered Willow’s question.

Willow could see that the woman looked scared and began to babble. Desperately wanting to put her at ease, “It’s ok Tara, i-if you don’t want me to, it’s just you look very photogenic and I’m a photographer so I notice these things and you’re real pretty, maybe the prettiest person I’ve ever seen and I just want to remember you always and what better way to do that than with a picture, you know?”

Tara just stood there staring dumbfounded at the redhead. “What?” Willow asked, squirming slightly.

“You s-sure do talk f-fast.”

“Oh,” Willow blushed, “Sorry, I tend to do that when I get nervous or excited.”

“It’s ok, I tend to st-stutter, but I g-guess you n-noticed that…” Tara said as she ducked her head once again.

“Tara,” Willow whispered, craning her neck to trying to make eye contact, “I didn’t…notice, that is.” She said honestly, so taken by Tara’s beauty that everything else was completely lost on her.

Tara raised her gaze to meet Willow’s and began to nervously giggle again.

Willow raised her camera, “May I?”

Tara nodded and Willow set about the task of photographing her new friend. She was entranced with the woman. Willow’s heart ached at the thought of never seeing her new friend again or getting to know the beautiful woman, and she tried to push it out of her mind. After all, they’d just met and Willow knew nothing at all about Tara, but she knew that this was someone she’d never forget. After taking several pictures, they sat in the grass as Willow diligently wrote in her journal.

Tara cocked her head curiously, “W-what are you writing?”

“Just some notes, your name, the date and stuff.”

“W-What kind of stuff?” Tara pressed.

Willow began to blush furiously, “Just stuff,” She mumbled, shrugging her shoulders.

Suddenly Tara reached forward and grabbed the book out of Willow’s hands, laughing as she rolled on to her stomach and began reading the journal entry.

“Hey!” Willow cried out, stunned by the woman’s swift and playful actions, but smiling from ear to ear. She decided to join in and dove forward, ending up half on top of Tara, who clutched the journal tightly to her chest.

Knowing there was no way Tara would release the book willingly; Willow decided tickling would be the best course of action, not to mention fun. As Willow began her assault, Tara started to squeal with laughter. “Do ya give!?” Willow exclaimed.

“Never!” Tara replied as she bucked her hips to the side, catching Willow off balance and knocking her into the grass with a yelp.

“Willow!” Tara shouted with concern. The redhead was holding her face in her hands and Tara was terrified that she hurt her new friend. She scooted closer. Willow quickly grabbed Tara’s wrists and pulled her to the ground.

“Gotcha!” Willow said, lying on her side next to Tara, their faces mere inches apart. Both women froze, panting heavily and gazing intently into each other’s eyes.

“Did y-you mean w-what you wrote?” Tara said, no louder than a whisper.

“Yes, you are so beautiful Tara,” Willow whispered in return; letting go of Tara’s wrists and gently brushing the blonde locks out of the woman’s face. They were so close that Willow could feel Tara’s warm breath cascading across her cheek.

“N-No one has ever t-told me that before.” Tara said, returning Willow’s gesture and tucking some red hair back under Willow’s blue bandana.

“Well, people should tell you more often, because it’s true.”

“I l-like you Willow, you’re a g-good person.”

Willow was suddenly overcome and merely smiled in return. Had she not already been lying down, she was sure she would have fainted. Tara’s touch was like fire on her skin and her heart had responded by nearly beating out of her chest. Never in her life had someone affected her in the way Tara was at this moment and she was sure no one ever would again.

Tara trailed her fingers down Willow’s cheek to her lapel and gently rubbed the shamrock pin between her fingers. “I’m Irish, my last n-name is Maclay.”

“Tara, tell me your story,” Willow said, finally finding her voice.

Tara agreed, sighing deeply she began to recount her history. She was from a small Kansas town, born and raised, until the drought hit three years ago. With no water for their crops and no way to feed the livestock, the bank took back the farm and they were forced to leave. Tara, along with her mother, father and younger brother, packed up their belongings and headed south towards Texas; her father looking for work in the oil fields. Tara’s father and brother took on small jobs to keep them fed and provide gas for the car. They lived hand to mouth, with their car as their only permanent shelter. As the depression worsened, the jobs became fewer and farther between, and they headed west towards California. Not long after that, Tara’s mother became ill; she’d contracted Typhus and died in New Mexico. They had no money for a proper burial, so they buried her themselves in the desert.

Tara began to sob as she recalled this particularly painful part of her story, her eyes full of sadness. Willow wanted to hold Tara and kiss away all of the pain, but they hardly knew each other. So instead, Willow held Tara’s hand tightly and cried right along with her.

After several moments, Tara continued. Not long after her mother passed, Tara’s father found steady work as a carpenter’s apprentice and they lived in Albuquerque for the next six months. Things looked promising, until her father was fired for drinking on the job and fighting with the other workers. That was two years ago, and since then they’d been traveling throughout California working the fields.

Tara’s story was brutal and unfortunately typical of the times when the depression and the dust storms ravaged the heartland. Willow had heard it all before. Only this time it was Tara’s story; sweet, gentle Tara.

Willow swallowed hard and forced down her bubbling emotions, “Tara, what can I do?” Tara pushed herself up to a sitting position and Willow followed. “Please, tell me Tara, I…I want to help.”

Tara’s deep blue eyes met Willow’s and she smiled, “You already have.”

Tara glanced at the sun that was starting to dip below the trees and suddenly jumped to her feet, startling Willow.

“Hey, what’s wrong?”

“I n-need to go. I have to get back, before my father returns from the f-fields. He’ll be r-really mad if I’m n-not there.”

“Ok, I’ll walk with you, if that’s alright?”

Tara nodded, handing Willow the journal. She picked up some clothing and slung it over her shoulder as she grabbed two pails full of water.

Willow gathered her things as well and they began the trek back to the campsite

“Willow, w-why do you limp?” Tara asked shyly.

“Oh, I um…I had Polio when I was seven and it left me with a weakened right leg and a permanent limp.”

“I’m sorry,” Tara said, her eyes filled with concern.

Willow smiled and felt her tummy flutter at the look she was getting from Tara. The redhead shrugged, “I’m ok, sometimes I just get sore if I’m on my feet for a long time. That’s kinda why I stopped to rest under the tree. I was going to the river, but it was just too far to walk, so I started back and well, you know the rest of the story.” Willow smiled goofily and poked her tongue out between her teeth.

Tara could do nothing but smile. Willow was just too adorable for words. There was something endearing about the photographer, something that made Tara’s heart skip a beat every time their eyes met.

As they exited the trail and re-entered the encampment, Tara’s face fell. She knew her time with the kind and beautiful redhead was coming to an end and that she would probably never see the girl again. Then something came over the shy blonde and she suddenly stopped, setting her things on the ground.

Willow stared quizzically and started to speak, but was nearly knocked to the ground as Tara flung herself into the redhead; embracing her tightly. Willow returned the hug with one arm as she leaned to set her camera down and then wrapped her other arm around Tara’s waist. They held each other for several minutes, just out of view of the camp occupants. Neither said a word as they silently acknowledged their shared connection.

Tara finally broke the embrace and pressed a kiss to Willow’s cheek, “Thank you,” She whispered as she gently cupped the freckled cheek, “Goodbye Willow.” Tara dropped her hand, retrieved her things and disappeared over a small hill and into the camp.

Willow wanted to scream. She wanted to stop Tara, but she knew it wasn’t her place. Tara had a family to get back to, and Willow had a job to do. The sky was turning purple and Willow knew her father would worry if she weren’t waiting at the car. She knelt to pick up her camera when she heard a rustling noise coming from the wood-line; squinting towards the noise, she saw a figure in the bushes. Someone was watching her.

Tara walked determinedly up the hill willing herself not to look back at the beautiful redhead who had stolen her heart. The tears stung the back of her eyes as she bit her bottom lip, desperately trying to keep them at bay. She hurried through the campsite and prayed that her father had yet to return, however, today those prayers would not be answered.

“Tara! Girl, where the hell have you been?” Donald admonished as he stood over his cowering daughter; staring down with cold gray eyes, so close Tara could smell his rancid alcohol tinged breath. “Answer me!” He shouted.

The girl stood before her father, quaking in fear and trying not to spill any of the water in the nearly overflowing pails. Tara’s knuckles had turned white and the thin handles of the buckets were burning into the soft skin on the palms of her hands as she desperately tried to hang on without dropping them, “I’m s-s-s-sorry s-sir. The b-buckets were h-heavy and th-the rocks h-hurt my feet.”

Her father scrunched his face, “The b-b-b-buckets were heavy, the rocks hurt my feet, waah,” He whined, cruelly mocking his daughter. “Empty those into the tub and bring up two more.”

“B-But s-sir, it’s a-almost dark,” Tara mumbled, setting both buckets on the floor. She stood for a brief moment to flex her stiff and sore fingers. It was a brief pause and one that Tara would soon regret. She turned, to pick up a bucket when she felt her father violently grabbed a fist full of her hair and threw her hard to the ground. Tara yelped as she fell forward; her face smashing into one of the pails and splitting her bottom lip wide open.

“Get up God damn it! Don’t you ever back talk me! You will do as I say without question,” The man drunkenly stumbled as he raised his boot, kicking at the back of Tara’s thigh. “Now move it!”

Tara didn’t bother answering this time, not wanting to anger her drunken father anymore than he already was. She scurried to her feet and quickly emptied both buckets into the tub before exiting the tent to make the mile round trip for more water.

Tara was scared as she reached the trailhead. Alone on a dark trail was no place for a young girl. With many of the men returning drunk, not to mention the local wild animals that lurked in the darkness, Tara knew her safety was at risk, but she feared her father’s wrath even more. Tara continued to move forward hesitantly, knowing that this time, a pretty redhead would not be distracting her.

Tara’s head was aching and her punctured lip throbbing as she tried to navigate the rocky trail on bare feet. With no light to guide her, she’d fallen several times, scrapping her hands and knees. She stopped to wipe the tears from her eyes when she heard something in the woods. What started as a gentle rustling of bushes became louder, and before she could run, someone grabbed her from behind.

Willow sat on the running board of the old Woody while she patiently waited for her father to return. As night began to fall and the men returned from the fields, the camp bustled with activity. Willow stared into the throng of people searching for those unforgettable blue eyes, but her efforts proved fruitless. It was becoming quite crowded and dark, making it impossible for her to find the enchanting woman.

“Hey kiddo, all packed up and ready to go?” Ira asked.

Willow had been staring so intently; she didn’t even notice her father had returned. “Huh? Oh, Hi Dad. Yeah, I’m ready.”

Ira held out his hand and pulled Willow to her feet. The photographer paused, turning to make one last sweep of the camp before opening the door and sliding into the front seat. Ira followed, starting the old wagon, stepping on the clutch and shifting into first gear. As the car lurched forward, Ira popped on the headlights and immediately slammed on the brakes; throwing Willow forward.

“Look out!” Willow shouted simultaneously, seeing a young man standing defiantly in front of the car.

“What the heck?” Ira said as he shifted into neutral and released the clutch, his heart pounding in his chest.

The young sandy haired man reached to his right and pulled a woman into the light cast by the headlights. She was clutching a burlap sack to her chest, her face hidden behind a curtain of dirty blonde hair.

Willow recognized her immediately, “Tara,” She whispered. Willow leapt from the car and hobbled quickly towards Tara. “Wha…what happened?” She asked as she lifted Tara’s chin with her finger.

As Tara slowly lifted her head, Willow gasped in horror at the woman’s bloodied and bruised face; a face that only hours before had sparkled with laughter. “Oh God,” She mumbled; her eyes narrowing as she instantly grew angry. She turned and set her sights on the man grasping Tara’s arm, “You, you did this!?” She snarled.

“No! No, our father he…take her, please.” He desperately plead, pushing Tara forward.

“D-Donny no, I c-can’t l-l-leave you here,” Tara exclaimed.

“Tara, you listen to me and you listen good. This is no place for you. He’s getting worse and one day he’s gonna kill you. I can take care of myself and I can handle Daddy. He won’t hurt me.”

“B-B-But…”

“No!” He said to his sister. Donny turned towards Willow; pulling Tara forward, “Please, go now, before he realizes she’s gone.”

Tears were streaming down Tara’s face, “Donny…”

“I’ll find you Tare, this is not forever.” The siblings hugged and Donny kissed Tara on the forehead as he began to back away, “I love you sis.” Then he turned and disappeared into the darkness.

Willow gently placed a hand on Tara’s elbow and led her to the back seat of the car, sliding in next to her and closing the door behind them. Ira turned and met Willow’s eyes with concern, “Dad, just drive, ok?” He nodded and slowly drove away.

In the backseat, Tara was near hysteria and sobbed uncontrollably. “Hey, it’s ok Tara…I’ve got you, it’s ok.” Willow comforted as she wrapped Tara in a hug and pulled her close. “He’ll never hurt you again, I promise. I’ll take care of you…always.”

Several years would pass before Tara was to see her brother again, but he was never far from her thoughts. He’d saved her life that night by pulling her off the trail, as much as Willow had saved her soul.

Upon her return to San Francisco, Willow delivered her photographs taken in the pea-pickers camp to the Resettlement Administration and simultaneously to the newspaper; making her somewhat of an overnight sensation. Her image of the ‘Migrant Mother’ became a symbol of the depression era and one of the most widely recognized photographs of all time. Willow never accepted any monetary compensation for the image, and instead was rewarded with the knowledge that she had made a difference. Several days after the image was released on the national wire, the government delivered over twenty thousand pounds of food and fresh water to the camp, greatly improving their conditions. Ira had been right, one person could make a difference.

Not long after Tara moved in with Willow, they came to realize the depth of their feelings for each other. One night as they lay on the rooftop, gazing up at the stars, Willow took a chance and confessed her love for Tara. She’d feared rejection, but was rewarded with the best kiss of her life and from that moment on, the women were inseparable.

Life wouldn’t always be easy for them, but they had each other, and that was all they really needed.

~The End.

Last edited by Finey_McFine on Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:27 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

morningstar:
To say that I am beyond impressed that you typed this out on your phone would be an understatement. I get frustrated when I try to type out feedback that way; I don't think I would ever have the patience to do what you've done. This was a really interesting story idea. It broke my heart that even though the girls were in love with each other, unspoken of course, they went off to war knowingly to be seperated. I was so glad when they finally made their way back into one another's arms and confessed their undying love. Very sweet story set during a very troubling time. Great submission!

Finey_McFine:
Shelby, really liked this tale and the setting you used. The relatinship with Willow and her father was very touching. Giving Willow the limp from a bout with polio added even more to the realism. I have to admit you kind of lulled me into thinking this story was going to be all sunshine and puppy dogs for the girls with their first meeting, but that all got turned upside down the moment they parted. I was glad to see that Donny was a good guy in this fic and saved Tara from god knows what further abuse. And of course, we still get our happily ever after and the end. Great submission!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:22 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Topics: 2
TO ALL THE WRITERS OF THIS MONTH’S CHALLENGE

Wow, I blame ALL of you for writing amazing stories that take me everywhere from the Civil War to the Great Depression to Dystopian futures of Dolls and a world without magic – from Mars to the Vixen zipping into outer space!!! Our girls have escaped a posse and joined the Army and hit San Francisco in the swinging sixties!!!

I further blame you for driving me crazy and causing me to entirely worry about how to vote because there’s so much heart and love and magic in these stories!

But to be fair, I also have to blame you for hours of entertainment and real pleasure. It’s great being a kitten!!!

Thanks for all your work!!! :bounce :pinky :eatme :party :dumbo :pinky :bounce

Sticarus/Saint

Welcome to the KB! :bow

Wow, Holy Ice-Breaker, Batman! You led off strongly with a great story! Grim Buffyverse with a soupcon of Twilight Zone! Great job. Love your opening bit of humor about responsible drinking.

Quote:
“I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore...” Willow wrapped the blanket around her, it wasn’t very big, but it served its purpose. She stood on shaky legs. Her mouth was uncomfortably tacky and her head was foggy. “Some kind of jello shot and jungle juice tornado?”
Then it turns into something very dark, very quickly.

The story is a short hard punch to the gut and it’s a grabber – thanks! :applause

My only complaint – want MORE!!! So keep writing . . . or else! :wink :whip
----------------------------------

Jess,

Quote:
At the last second she jumped out of the way as the car bounced up on the curb and stopped just short of her, tires grunting in protest at the quick halt. A slender, panicked redhead quickly got out of the car and held her hands up in the air, frantically waving them back and forth.
One of the funniest and most unusual W/T intros ever! :rofl

I love the research – the fringe of Tara’s leather jacket that she toys with, the car, the language, the Grateful Dead playing on Saint Patrick’s Day and you capture the spirit of the wild 60’s – really feel like that Way Back Machine is humming and thanks for that!

You nail the dialogue and more than that the desperate earnestness of kids believing that writing for an underground newspaper was improving the universe. Sweet, funny moments and I loved hippie Buffy!

Thanks for the good times! :love :laugh :love

Lexi,

Whoa there, girl! You started out with a classic western opening – props for having Donald die. Okay, I’ll set my Vengeance Demon persona aside now. :blush

You created an incredible hot bath scene and a real sense of another time. Also liked this:
Quote:
an aimless tumbleweed rolled by without a notion of the murderous act that had just taken place.
The challenge was inserted seamlessly so that it actually commented on the story – nice work!

Quote:
“Just lay with me for one minute. One minute, that’s all I’m askin’ for.” Willow’s lip jutted out slightly and her eyes were pleading. It was about the cutest pout Tara thought she had ever seen.

Tara looked at Willow’s pocket watch on the side table; it had only been twenty minutes. She could probably spare ten more before her daddy would start worrying. “Okay.”

Tara laid down next to Willow and cradled the girls head into her chest as she wrapped her arms around her and kissed on the top of her head, brushing the damp hair off her face. Willow was asleep with a matter of seconds and Tara closed her eyes to focus on the soft sounds of her breathing.
Good, believable and tender . . .

Then twists and turns and quite a change of pace! Brava! :clap :applause :clap

Heather,

Love the detail:
Quote:
“Yes, ma’am,” Willow replied. “Whatever that is smells delicious.”

A ghost of a smile played briefly over Tara’s lips. “Rabbit stew,” said barely above a whisper.

Tara turned away, rubbing at her eyes. She pulled two bowls, one a bit larger than the other down from a cupboard next to a sink, and ladled the stew into them. She set the larger one down in front of Willow, and the other at the far end of the table. She then produced a small loaf of bread, cutting pieces for them both.
I see this moment so vividly. Nice ear for language . . suggest the time well. Touching moment.

And this . . . so good at writing the tenderness:
Quote:
The neck of Tara’s night gown was open at the throat and Willow could see her pulse beat steadily in the divot at the base of her slender neck. Taking her hand and gently caressing Tara’s cheek, Willow began to wake her love.

“Tara, wake up, darling,” Willow said.

Tara mumbled sleepily as Willow continued to stroke her cheek. Tara caught her hand, bringing it to her lips and kissed the back of it. Then she opened her deep blue eyes to smile at the sight of Willow gazing adoringly down at her. Tara slipped her arm around Willow’s waist and pulled her down onto the bed with her.
This was slow, almost dream like and very beautiful and sweet. *sigh* Thank you. :flower :flower

Deb,

BANG! Right into another world:
Quote:
Willow kneeled on the porch in front of the cob-web covered radio. She remembered a time, thousands of years ago it seemed, that she might have cared if the peeling paint flaked onto the knees of her cargo pants or if a spider crawled over her hand. Those times were gone and some days she doubted they would ever return. She wouldn’t have cared if an army of frogs had hopped across the porch.
Already pulled in . . . already wanting more.

Chilling little moments when people’s friends and lovers change . . . well done!

And their quick little moment? Oh my my! I can warm my hands and dry a basket of laundry over THAT blazing ecstasy! :bow :bow

You bring us a stripped down Willow on the run and a gun-toting Tara. The best part is that it’s still them. Wow. Thanks! :applause

Delayne,

Love that Willow prints the gang a calendar schedule and Tara isn’t told – so very Willow and so very Scooby!

Wild new tumbleweed world – and loved “Hey, Jude”! :lmao

But the beautiful finish is right here:
Quote:
"See. Totally worth me almost getting..." Willow started to say until Tara got that concerned and irritated combination look that only Tara could pull off. The one that made Willow think Tara would make a perfect mother someday.

"I mean... hey you feel better. Great!"

Tara was feeling better. In fact she was feeling more than better... She was feeling... frisky.

Tara smirked her sexy half-smile. "Willow... I think there maybe a side effect..."

Willow, whose body automatically reacted to that smoldering look Tara gave her, was fighting with her brain at the choice of words. She was excited and concerned and it was confusing.

Tara stood up and wrapped her arms around the redhead, kissed up her neck, sucked on her earlobe and whispered "A very good side effect." The confusion was gone.

Another sexy smirk. "Race you to the room."

Matty

Mmmmm. Firefly and W/T . . . nice! Also like that you have the male/female dynamic with Willow as the Captain and Xander as her pilot similar but not exactly the same as on Firefly and yes, The Vixen . . . love it!

Also loved Faith being aboard and starting a celebratory drinking contest – I assume either Buffy or Faith is Willow’s second.

Quote:
Tara sat on a patterned rug, looking into space thinking about home. It was quite far away from here, though she wasn't entirely sure where exactly here was, she knew she was on a ship 'The Vixen' which had been her new home for almost a year, she also knew there was probably a specific pin point of where they were but to her the pinpoint was just another part of vastness of the verse.
Lovely pull into a new Sci-fi Western . . . love their world and yes, I TOTALLY want some more!!!

I get a real feeling for the ranch and their deepening relationship . . great that you can pull that off with such an economy of language. I’m in! :grin

Morningstar

Hey, nice work!!!

Quote:
Things were different from the last time I had seen her. Almost two years of army life would do that to anyone I guess. I'm sure I seemed different to her too. It was odd seeing her in the green uniform, I knew she wore one and it was exactly like mine and yet, it seemed so much more amazing on her.
Great first person narrative and like the sweet feeling of true love and yes, when your love wears anything (or nothing) it’s totally amazing all the way!

But this is the golden moment in the story for me:
Quote:
We fell silent again and watched the first rays of sunlight creep into the sky. I turned to watch her and couldn't stop myself from blurting out the question I had been keeping in all night, "Did you, did you start seeing someone Tara? Did you get a boyfriend?"

"Willow," she said while turning to face me, "I n-never p-planned to."

Hope started to fill me, "What do you mean?" I said in a measured voice.

"I, I meant to tell you this b-before we left but I, Willow." Tara stumbled over her words and finally gave up and simply buried her head into the side of my neck. My neck started to feel wet from all her tears.

I rubbed her back and started to whisper all the words that I had never managed to say before. About how I never planned to get a boyfriend either, that I only had one crush back in high school and most importantly how one day I woke up knowing I was in love with her.

Her shaking slowed and stopped. I pushed her gently until she leaned back, "Tara, I fell in love with you, I couldn't forget you because I still am."

Something shimmered in her eyes and she gave me a look I had never seen before. I leaned closer to her. Tara waited another second before finally closing the gap between us.

It was a soft kiss and it didn't last for very long. Tara pulled back and smiled, "I've been wanting to do that forever." I answered her with another kiss.
This got me misty-eyed. Real and poignant and so very very touching. Heartfelt thanks. :flower

Shelby

You really hit me hard with the depression . . . studied it a bit but you put the pain in. Loved this little moment:
Quote:
“What else is there?” He answered with a question. “Your Great Grandparents came to this country with nothing but the clothes on their backs and things were much worse than this. When you’ve got nothing but a positive attitude and perseverance, it’s bound to get better.”

“Thanks Dad.”

“For what?”

“For making things better,” Willow grinned and their conversation lapsed into much lighter subjects as they continued their hot and dusty drive south.

And then this beautiful image . . . beautifully written:
Quote:
Several moments later, Willow was awakened by a soft giggle and the sound of someone clearing their throat. She opened her eyes to see the figure of a woman; her delicate curves backlit by the afternoon sun. Willow squinted and held a hand over her eyes in an unsuccessful attempt to cut through the glare.

“You um, you d-d-dropped this a l-little ways back on th-the path.” The woman stuttered, holding out her hand.

“Oh, thank you,” Willow said as she reached for the item, her fingers sliding across the mystery woman’s soft hand.
There are so many more moments, funny, tender . . beautiful.

Donny saving Tara was unexpected and a lovely change . . . and a new life, new love.

*happy sigh* Lovely. :love :flower :love

To all the writers!!! :clap :applause :bow - You're wonderful!

I needed the joy and you all delivered the goods - WOW!!!

Thanks. : :applause

Ariel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:43 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
vampyregurl73 – The kids are being crazy here but maybe I can jot down a few lines here. I really enjoyed your story. I think of Willow, joining up like that. Sort of crazy. And she survives it and then wanders down to take up with Tara. Wow. I wonder about her family. Did they know where she went? Do they wonder? If Willow is living as a man, things will be so “easy” for her and Tara. I actually knew a couple that did that once. They were into Civil war re-enactments (coincidentally) and had gotten “married” in their civil war garb. Seriously, the one’s parents didn’t know and they were together for 6 years. Dude. Anyway, your story is so touching and bare and sweet too. Thanks for sharing it.

dtburanek – How awesome. They live on a space outpost thing and Tara’s sick and Willow goes outside to get tumbleweed to cure here. How fantastic. And you handle the punchline really well.

Mgraham93 – Just this thought of Willow and Tara in the firefly universe is simultaneously exciting and terrifying. So many things in that show (reevers) are scary and fucked up. They seem pretty happy here though.

Morningstar – You wrote this on your IPhone? I can barely handle texts and readable fb posts on my android. You have my complete respect for managing it. This is so sweet. The draft? Fuck that! I can’t imagine them both military but I guess you do what you have to do. How sweet that after all this time they meet back up and both love each other.

Finey_McFine – What a spectacular story. The feel and grit of it reminded me of The Grapes of Wrath. I loved the focuses of Willow and her camera, the mother, and Tara. You did a great job of really giving focus and person to the story. It’s not just thousands of people starving. It’s these people. And even Willow is suffering from her exhaustion and the emotional pain of seeing this. The romance between them is just so moving and when Donny brings Tara to Willow it is absolutely wonderful. Can I confess that I’ve read this about 6 times now? Very well done.

Post subject: Re: March Challenge: Polls Now Open
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:07 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Topics: 10
Hey everyone,

I'm super behind on board-related stuff, but I've just put up the poll for this challenge. It'll be open for a week. Thanks to everyone who wrote, the stories are great. Feedback is totally on my to do list for the weekend.

Happy voting!

Kate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:59 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Topics: 9
These will be quick but I wanted to comment on the wonderful stories and I've been kinda busy lately. This also lets me review them so I can go vote.

StIcarus: I am so glad you joined the challenge and I am super glad you created this wonderful piece that you should indeed keep sharing with us.

beautiful_love: I have a '63 Ford Falcon Futura, hunter green. You have no idea how much is pleases me that Willow is driving a Falcon.

True_Love: A Western! And so well done too, extremely believeable. Like how you started out with the action and then filled in the rest.

vampyregurl73: I have begun to read more of your stuff overall and am planning on adding you to one of my favorite authors. Love Historical Romances! Great job.

JustSkipIt: It makes me super happy you participaed in the challenge. I started watching Dollhouse but never got to (plan on catching up someday on Netflix or do I have to get the DVD to watch the extra?). You just inspired me to catch up. Great work (as always!)

Mgraham93: Firefly! So glad this is just a snip-it of something you plan on fleshing out! Very fluffy and cute.

morningstar: Thank you for serving our country! This was very emotional (and I'm guessing it comes from a very special place in your heart). Thank you for sharing it.

Finey_McFine: You really are very descriptive in your writing, you really took us there. And I always like it when Donny becomes a hero in fics!

And Replies***

True_Love: No aliens! I kind of had a "Firefly" idea of the universe but maybe before we get to the destruction of Earth and the Evil Government. And of course Willow tested out her formula and did everything to make sure it was safe (not sure how but she did!) In other words, didn't want to write that part.

StIcarus: Honestly the side-effect came to me by surprise. As I had no idea how to end it. Glad you liked it.

Ariel: "Hey Jude." I just couldn't help it. Glad you liked the ending, as I mentioned before, it was not planned, but that is how it came to be.

JustSkipIt: Glad you liked the punchline. I recently went through a Amber Benson movie phase and "Race you to the bottom" although strange movies, was a good punchline to "steal"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:07 pm 

Hi Everyone! :bigwave

First, I want to give a big pat on the back to everyone that submitted a fic. They were all wonderful and creative and I loved what you all did with the different time periods. I enjoyed each and everyone of them:) Kudos to you all! :applause :clap

So, I have to admit that I was pretty surprised to see that my little fic was so popular. I was on the fence and wasn't even going to submit it...hence the last minute posting. See, I let my wife read it several days before the deadline and her reaction was, "meh." She gave me a complex! Then that night she innocently asks, "So, did you post the story, it's getting late?" :impatient Seriously? After the "meh?" She went on to explain that she is just not a fan of period pieces or the Depression, but that she liked the story itself. Geez! :whip

Anyway, thank you all so very much!! Without all of your support and kind words, I wouldn't be writing anything beyond a FB status update! You Kittens certainly are a lovely bunch! :bigkiss

Keep writing everyone!! The April challenge awaits!

Post subject: Re: March Challenge: Winner Announced
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:31 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Topics: 10
Congratulations to our winner, Shelby!

Yay!

Not only did she win, but she kindly failed to kick my ass when I TOTALLY FLAKED on the whole "announcing the winner" thing.

Me=spaz. Shelby=sweetheart.

I'm very glad your wife made sure that you posted. It's hard to get a "meh" reaction without hearing why, so it's a damn good thing she followed up on it later. Good of her, too; Adam's only interest in my writing is that he's pleased I have a hobby I like.

And yes, April challenge . . . I capped the length at a brief 2000 words. That should make it easier, yes?

Post subject: Re: March Challenge: Winner Announced
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:49 pm 

BIG thank you to the lovely Laragh, my JMT, for sending me this beautiful autographed pic across the pond. :grin You rock my friend!

"Transform your pain. Release your past. And ... uh ... get over it."
~Willow, Where The Wild Things Are