The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Summer Fic Challenge: The Art of the Drabble
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:22 pm 
20. Not one Much for the Timber

Topics: 15
For Everyone that has posted a drabble....

GREAT JOB!!! I love them all:)

"Transform your pain. Release your past. And ... uh ... get over it."
~Willow, Where The Wild Things Are

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:22 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Topics: 10
July 25th
Chanda Mama - Playing For Change

Ratings: PG
Feedback: As always, both positive and negative feedback are appreciated. Seriously, I don't know what I'm doing. This feels way more like poetry than it does writing long-form. I don't know nothin' 'bout writin' poetry.
Notes: So, I'm relying on translations of the lyrics from the internet for some of the imagery here. I don't have any idea how accurate said translations are.

Reluctant Traveller
"Imale, why do we always have to go places where I don't understand what people are saying?"

"Mutti's job is to be a translator. That means traveling to places that don't speak English. You know that, Joshua."

"But it isn't fair. Uncle Xander takes Sarah English speaking places for vacation. Places like California."

"You'd rather go to California than Italy, buddy?"

"Yes!"

Willow picked him up and swung him around. "You're crazy, Joshua."

Joshua frowned. "Do you still love me?"

"No matter what, kiddo."

"Then can we go to California next summer?"

"I'll ask Mutti. Sound fair?"

"I guess so."

Moon-Gazing
Willow and Tara lay in the grass, staring at the sky. Willow's telescope stood off to the side, abandoned after only twenty minutes of use. 

"Full moons are pretty."

"They still kinda give me the willies."

"Oz?"

"Yeah."

Tara snuggled closer to Willow. "But, the moon was full when I found out I got to keep you. That's nice." Tara leaned over and kissed her.

"Technically, it was the day after the full moon."

Tara laughed, and kissed Willow again. 

"Am I spoiling the mood with facts again?"

"Nope." Tara smiled. "Just reminding me why I love you so much."

TLC
I try to walk past her quietly on my way to the kitchen, but her hand darts out and catches my arm as I pass.  "Thank you."

"For what?"

"For taking good care of me even when I've been snippy with you all day."

"It's in the job description. I mean, you do the same for me."

"Yeah, but I steal twenty bucks out of your savings account every time it happens."

"Wait, what?"

"Gotcha." I tackle her onto the couch. She pulls me close when we land, kissing me hard. "What was I pissed about, again?"

"I never knew."

Last edited by BeMyDeputy on Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:01 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Seeing as I just discovered these yesterday, and there have been entirely too many to comment individually, I'm going to generalize. I typically like to delve into the epic fics so I can get lost in the story, but I've loved these little snapshots. Thanks to the mods for introducing lots of fun new music, and thanks to the writers for each piece. I think of them like potato chips - I can't seem to read just one.

And, Kate, if I must wait for QoH, I'm happy to have these to tide me over.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:30 pm 

@brave-little-toaster: Sorry I missed you yesterday. I'm still learning our new AV setup at home and switching between the monitor and the projector and making the monitor listen to the computer instead of the XBox . . . it's complicated. Happy to hear you're enjoying these. My freshman year of college, we watched Fight Club every single Friday night, so a lot of the script is burned into my mind. The phrase they're arguing about in "Say it" has been stuck in my head for days, so I was very happy to have a chance to get it out. Also, blame the sad ones on the mods. :)

@Finey: Yay! Hope senior picture stuff is going well for you.

@Dr. J: I see from your very kind QoH feedback that you consider yourself a dedicated lurker, so to be mentioned in two of your three posts is quite flattering. (I am in fact writing QoH, I promise, and am regularly pestered about how many more words I've written and why that number isn't bigger. It's just being really tricky.) Part of the point of doing this inane challenge was to get in the habit of writing at least a little bit each day, and I think it's working. So, yay, because I really really need to finish Queen of Hearts. Or, you know, at least get to the sex. ;)

July 26th
Because--The Beatles

Feedback: As always, both positive and negative feedback are appreciated. Seriously, I don't know what I'm doing. This feels way more like poetry than it does writing long-form. I don't know nothin' 'bout writin' poetry.
Notes: I love me some Beatles (I have Beatles Rock Band, for example), but this song never really clicked for me. So, here are my weird, and mostly literal, drabbles. Oh, "Arc" is a Middle Years drabble.

Arc
“Mutti, why are we flying over Greenland?”

“Why don't you ask Imale?”

“She's asleep.”

Tara smiled mischievously. “Let's wake her up.”

“Okay!” Joshua bounced in his seat and shook Willow. “Wake up!”

“What? Huh? Food?”

“Why are we flying over Greenland? It's not on the way to Amsterdam.”

Willow stared at Joshua until Tara began to chuckle. “You put him up to this.”

“Maybe.”

“Hey! Answer me!”

“Because the earth is round, sweetie.”

“Huh?”

“Ask me when we're near a globe. I'm going back to sleep.”

Dinner Physics
“And that's how wind power works.” Willow put down her crayon.

“You didn't need to do that.”

“What?”

Tara pointed at the drawings sprawled over the table. “The lecture on wind power.”

“You asked.”

“No, I said 'gosh, those wind turbines are big.'”

“I asked if you knew why, and you said no.”

“You could have said 'the wind is high.'”

“But--”

Tara held up a hand to Willow then gestured at the waiter. “No. First, we order.”

“But I don't know what I want.”

Sound of Silence
Willow lay back on the bed and rubbed her eyes. Despite years of honor role and demon research, they did have a breaking point. They had reached it. Willow had spent the past month glued to books as much as possible. Textbooks, fiction, even Dawn's crummy magazines.

Anything to keep her mind occupied.

The emptiness of the space began to crush in, and Willow flipped on the radio. Within a few songs a cheery Beatles tune came on.

The song got a few lines in before Willow snapped it off.

Anything was better than Beatles after a breakup.

Even silence.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:14 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Katie - I'm so far behind. I feel like that character in Alice. Is it the rabbit? Sorry. I love the last one here - Just say to Beatles after a breakup. Also, the one where they're bridesmaids or bridesmaid/best man or whatever. Although I think I would have given hard its own sentence:

""That you're single." Tara kissed her. Hard. When she stepped back, Tara mashed the "4" button on the elevator. "C'mon. Rehearsal isn't for an hour.""

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:40 pm 

@JustSkipIt:
Quote:
Although I think I would have given hard its own sentence

Yeah, well, that's because your way is just better.

July 27th
New Shoes - Paolo Nutini

Notes: "Karaoke" does in fact describe the cheapest way to stay in Tokyo, at least that my sister saw when she was there.

Diversionary Tactics
Willow cringed as the bell above the door announced their arrival. She cringed again when she saw the group look up from their books.

She hadn’t meant to make them late.

It was just . . . Tara hadn’t replaced her towel after throwing her old one in the laundry. So Willow diligently brought her a new one. But the sight of Tara wet and naked pushed all thoughts of demon research to the farthest corners of her mind.

“Where have you guys been?”

“Um.”

“Willow needed new shoes.”

Willow blinked.

Buffy nodded. “Footwear is crucial.”

Willow couldn’t believe it worked.

Karaoke
“How much is that?”

“About $150. At least, at the exchange rate we got.”

“And that’s all that’s left?”

“Yes.”

“But we have three more nights in Tokyo?”

“Yup.”

“With no hotels paid for.”

“That is correct.”

“Dammit, Willow, remind me not to let you carry the money. At least, not when there are electronics for sale every fifty feet.”

“But it’ll probably be another two years before some of this makes it stateside.”

“That doesn’t buy us food, Willow.”

“I know.”

“You know what this means?”

“Three nights at all night karaoke bars?”

“At least there’s complementary sake.”

Not So Sweet Strolling
“You know what’s awesome?”

“Japanese electronics are awesome.”

“I still haven’t forgiven you for that.”

“I’m sorry. Do continue.”

“I know it’s cliché and all, but long walks on the beach. The sun is all bright and sweet and the sand is squishy and the view is gorgeous.”

“And the company?”

“Delightful. But that’s not an inherent part of beach walks.”

“Are you saying you go walking on the beach with someone else?”

“Don’t make me push you in the water.”

“You wouldn't dare.”

“Oh wouldn't I?”

Willow ran.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:09 pm 

July 28th
I Can See Forever in Your Eyes - Reba McEntire

Notes: "Vocabulary" is for dlline. Who is a damn fine beta, but sometimes calls me out on words I like.

Vocabulary
“. . . these deep cerulean pools--”

“Blue. They’re blue. And they’re eyes, not pools.”

“Oh, hey Tara.” Dawn sat back to watch the exchange.

Willow swiveled around in her chair and pulled Tara onto her lap. “They are so cerulean.”

“Baby, no one says ‘cerulean.’”

“No one says ‘inured’ either, but you don’t stop me from saying that.”

“Hey now, ‘inured’ is a great word. I use it all the time.”

“Who made you the authority on word usage?”

“You did.”

“Pfft.”

Tara laughed. “What do you see in my eyes, anyways?”

Willow looked at her seriously. “Forever.”

Nightmares
Screaming brought Willow running into the bedroom. She found Tara rocking in the center of the bed, arms clutched around her legs.

“Tara? Baby, it’s me. I’m walking up to you. The bed’s about to move, that’s just me sitting down. Not so bad. Okay, I’m going to hug you now.”

Willow felt Tara jerk as she wrapped her arms gently around Tara’s shoulders, but the screaming gave way to sobbing.

“Where did you go?”

“Bathroom. I’m sorry,” Willow whispered. Long minutes later, Willow encouraged Tara back into bed.

“Never let me go.”

Fire
It began slowly. Shirts purposefully unbuttoned, then slid off shoulders. Breasts were teased at the edges of bras before clumsy fingers finally undid clasps.

A pair of shoes was hastily kicked off, but boots provided a larger obstacle. Their owner was pushed roughly onto the bed, then their laces quickly untied. As the laces were undone, nervous hands thumbed a button and tugged at a zipper.

Boots were tugged off, then jeans, then a skirt.

The second girl joined the first on the bed.

"I want you so bad."

"I know."

"How?"

"When you touch me, I feel the fire."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:57 pm 

July 29th
Our Lips Are Sealed Lyrics--The Go-Go's

Rumors
Willow sat Tara's lap, but her eyes kept wandering to a group of girls across the room.

“I think they're talking about us,” she whispered.

“Hmm?”

“They keep looking over here, then turning back to the group and whispering really loud. Not so loud I know what they're saying, though.”

“It's okay. Just ignore them.”

“But, they're talking. About you.”

“You're not used to this, are you?”

“Used to what?”

“The glances. The whispers. People suddenly turning the other way.”

“Nope.”

“Some people just have never met a witch before.”

Paper Walls
Screaming and thumping woke Willow up. In a sleepy haze, she tried to figure out how to cover her ears with her pillow without putting it between herself and Tara.

“Willow?”

“Yeah, baby?”

“What are you doing?”

“It's just . . . those two next door are at it again and I don't want to hear it.”

“Funny, you like it when I'm that loud.”

“Well, yeah.”

“And I like it when you're that loud.”

“You mean you're proud of yourself when--.” Willow gasped as a hand entered her pajama bottoms.

“Drown 'em out.”

Silence
Tara didn't know what to do. The disturbing thuds coming from the door had stopped, which was good. Willow hadn't let go over her hand. That was good, too.

But trapped in silence wasn't exactly how she'd imagined holding hands with Willow.

Willow shifted her leg, and must have bumped her injured ankle, because both her hands swiftly grabbed it.

“Crap!”

It took Tara a moment to realize the significance of what Willow had just said. As relief washed over her, she looked up at Willow's face, her own broad smile mirrored there.

They both fell over laughing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:59 pm 

July 30th
Terri Clark--Now that I've Found You

Notes: I'd like to jump on that "Terri Clark is hot" wagon from earlier, cuz . . . yeah. Wow.
Notes II: I've had "A Lifetime Just Ain't Enough" bouncing around in my head for some time, but don't really know what to do with it past this first scene. So, I'm happy I got a chance to shed a little light on it.

A Lifetime Just Ain't Enough
Willow Rosenberg hated Istanbul.

It wasn't the city's fault. In a way it was her brain's, for picking the city at random twenty years ago. In a bigger way it was Warren's fault, for ripping her life asunder eighteen years ago.

Exactly, in fact.

So Willow didn't exactly want to be at a cafe in Istanbul waiting for some potential.

There was a tap on her shoulder. “Willow?”

Willow began to turn, but quickly found a strange girl in her lap. Who began kissing her like she hadn't been kissed in eighteen years.

“ . . . Tara?

“I found you.”

The Real Me
“You're one of the good guys.”

Tara's smile faded. The fear and panic she'd managed to keep at bay when Willow was around washed through her. She wasn't one of the good guys. She was a time bomb.

For a second, she thought about asking for help. Talking to Willow or Giles or even Buffy.

But she couldn't.

Because she was an outsider. Buffy and Giles weren't her friends; they were Willow's friends.

As for Willow, how would she look at her? How could she stand to be anywhere near her? She couldn't. Not after this kind of betrayal.

Cowboy Hats
“Tara, come here!”

Tara rolled her eyes. Shopping with Willow was always an experience. “Yes dear.”

“Here!” Willow stretched out her hands, a black cowboy hat in one, and jean overalls in the other. “Put these on.” She nodded at the dressing room.

Tara rolled her eyes, but did as she was told. It was Willow's birthday after all.

When Tara emerged, Willow promptly adjusted the hat on Tara's head, then took three steps back, and paused for a moment. She then stepped forward again and whispered in Tara's ear.

“I'm taking you home. Now.”

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:59 pm 

July 31st
I Could Not Ask For More - Sara Evans

Smile When You Smile
Every time she was with Tara, Willow felt compelled to do whatever it took to make her smile. So any time they planned to meet, she found something to bring to her. A new spell, a pretty sample from her mineral collection, a flower. Anything she could.

As she walked between classes, she thought about what she'd just learned, scanning for stories or jokes Tara would like. Growing up with Xander had given her a good sense of comedic timing.

Sometimes she wondered what made her so determined. But then Tara smiled, and it pushed all thought from her head.

Perfection II
Tara shifted in her bed, a warm body next to her instantly waking her completely. She stared at Willow's naked form beside her. She'd thought she'd never see that again.

She remembered the night before. Willow's return, bearing not just news of her safety, but a candle to fight the darkness and an admission of love to fight Tara's sorrow.

Late into the night, Willow was determined to make up for the months of uncertainty, for her inability to name to what she felt. Over and over, Willow had whispered to Tara, “I love you.”

It was perfection.

Listening to the Rain
Willow and Tara lay in the hammock on the porch, watching the rain fall onto the lake.

“Fine, fine. I give. You were right. A weekend up here is just what I needed.”

“Just what the doctor ordered.”

“You're not that kind of doctor.”

“The kind that gives orders? Of course I am.”

“You're the kind of wife that gives orders. The doctorate is completely orthogonal.”

“Then, as your wife, I order you to go get the blanket.”

“Slave driver.”

“Did you want to sleep alone tonight?”

“I'll get the blanket.”

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:00 am 

"The time has come," the Walrus said, "To talk of many things: Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--"

Wait . . . . Hang on.

No, it's the end of my iron-man drabble challenge. Crazy, huh?

Anyway, I've had a lot of fun with these, and I hope that you've enjoyed reading them as much as I've enjoyed writing them. I think they've been really good for me: not only am I more in the habit of writing every day, but I've had a chance to experiment with a lot of different things. Looking through them all, I think "Rain" and "Winning" are my favorites.

For those keeping track, the vignette that has been assigned to me in punishment for the five days I missed has not been forgotten. However, it isn't a drabble, so it won't go in this thread. I'm partway through with it now, and will put a link here once I've posted it. I've been meaning to start a thread for shorts, and that sounds like a great way to kick it off, don't you? And for those of you who are nitpickers, I totally hit submit on this at 11:59, but the damn thing just hung there for forever. In penance, I've included that fourth "Think Twice" drabble I mentioned back in the day.

Since I want a single post to be able to point to and say "look, I did this," I am dumping all of the drabbles I have done this summer below the drabbles for today. This includes the bonus drabble for "Think Twice."

But first, I've got one more song left to do.

August 1st
There You'll Be - Faith Hill

Ratings: G

In My Heart
Willow didn't know when it had happened. It must have been gradual, or she would have noticed.

However it happened, it didn't change the reality. She woke up one day, and Tara had taken up residence in her heart.

It reminded her of how Tara, unused to sharing a bed, would gradually spread out through the night: eventually, Willow would wake up pushed to the side of the bed with no covers while Tara slept in the center, a smile on her face.

What was nice was that Tara hadn't displaced anything in Willow's heart. She just made it bigger.

Thesis Statement
Tara blinked as a sheaf of paper was dropped on the table in front of her with a loud thud.

“I don't see why you can't edit on the computer like a sane person.”

“I already edited it on the computer. I want to do a pass on paper, too.” Tara flipped through the first few administrative pages hastily, as she'd already gone over those a dozen times. She stopped, however, when she came to an unfamiliar page.

For Tara
Without her, I would never have made it through one doctorate, let alone three.
I love you, baby.

Dreams Gone By
Hearing from her daughter was a bittersweet experience for Tara. On the one hand, she was happy Cecilia was seeing the world: backpacking through Europe and getting sick off questionable pho in Vietnam. On the other, she’d always wanted to do some of those things herself. Instead, she’d married early, settled down, and started a family. A business. Worked to keep Willow on her feet through school.

Willow burst into the room. “I threw some cake and milk into the blender. You have to try it!” Willow ran back into the kitchen.

Tara laughed. She'd made a good choice.

Bonus Drabble for "Think Twice"

Don't Touch My Girl
Tara couldn't help herself. She looked again across the ballroom for her girl. She knew perfectly well she should be paying closer attention to her dance partners. Largely ignoring them was rather inconsiderate.

She found it a blessing that her dancing instruction had been so ingrained: it allowed her to dance and engage in light conversation while tracking a splash of red amongst the party goers.

Tara knew she didn't have to worry. Tonight of all nights she was sure no one would make a move. It would be rude beyond rude.

And yet, she kept looking.

Dani was hers.

(If you don't know that this was from JustSkipIt's "Waiting for Dani," (and therefore that Dani=Willow so the FAQs are all okay), why are you reading anything I've written? Stop right now and go read that instead. I mean it. Go. Now.)

Drabble Challenge Collection

Author: BeMyDeputy
Ratings: G-R
Disclaimer: The following are works of fan-fiction including characters originally found in the television series Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and inspired by the songs mentioned. All quoted lines are used in the spirit of fair use; I did not write a single episode of BtVS or any of these songs, therefore any quoted lines were not written by me. That said, any content not falling under anyone else's copyright is copyright me.
Feedback: I am always genuinely interested in both positive and negative feedback. I invite all parties to comment as they desire, up to and including ripping these to shreds.
Notes: These stories take place across many universes. Some are canon, some are not. Some canon stories are the same version of canon as "Queen of Hearts", some are not. A handful, particularly toward the end, are Middle Years stories. "Get the Check" and "Don't Touch My Girl" both take place in fan fiction universes I did not create ("Not A Date" and "Waiting for Dani," respectively). Please refer to the original posting for additional notes.

Acceptance
I accept your challenge.

But because it's me, I have to make it harder.

So here's the deal. Foo gave a total of thirty songs. Minimum of three drabble per post. Drabble? Drabbles? What's the plural? Anyway, my challenge to myself is to do each song, one a day. Each song gets three pieces of drabble, so they can go in separate posts.

Thirty songs. Thirty days. Ninety drabble(s?). Nine thousand words or less.

I don't know most of these songs, so I could be getting myself into a world of trouble. Won't that be fun?

Anyone else wanna play?

Drabble Funnier if you've read this and this. But not required.
“You know what I don’t get?”

“Meta-humor?”

Willow stuck her tongue out. “Drabble.”

“What’s that?”

“It’s a kind of writing that’s one hundred words or less.”

“That isn’t very long.”

“Exactly! I mean, how can you tell a story with that few words? I think with single paragraphs that are longer than that.”

“Yes, sweetie, but you’re insane.” Willow stuck her tongue out. Again. “Seriously, though, maybe it’s for moments that are really powerful.”

“Like the first time we kissed?”

“Exactly.”

“Or the first time I made you scream my name?” Willow grinned mischievously.

“Mmm, demonstrate that one.”

“Yes ma’am.”

June 28th: To Make You Feel My Love – Adele

Free
Tara sat in class and pulled Willow’s sweater around her shoulders. She didn’t want to be here.

She’d thought about skipping. She’d planned on skipping.

But when she’d walked out her door to escape the crushing emptiness of the space, the giant void Willow had left behind, her feet had carried her to class without her consent. So she sat in the classroom and felt utterly alone in the crowded lecture hall.

If you love someone, set them free. That’s what people say.

So she had. She set Willow free.

What they don’t say is that it hurts like hell.

Panic
Willow spotted Tara exiting class and began to panic.

Why did I practice this if my mind was going to go blank the moment she appeared?

Coffee. Just coffee. Non-date drink of choice. Emphasis on “non.”

It was okay go to coffee. They were friends again. Friends go for coffee all the time.

Food was too much. Too date-like. Food came after coffee. Kisses and gay love came after food. They did before, and they could now. Coffee, then food, then kisses, then girlfriends.

She’d done it before. She could do it once more.

Then everything would be normal again.

Threshold
Tara stood outside the door to her bedroom.

No.

Not hers. Not anymore. Not yet, anyways.

She’d come here for a reason. To talk. To explain. To take something old and broken and to make something new in its stead.

Tara knew she should deal with the pieces first. To look at them and decide if there was enough left to make a whole. She didn't care. She would make new parts if the old ones weren't enough.

Because she belonged in this room. On that bed. Next to Willow. With Willow.

She took a deep breath and stepped inside.

June 29th: Struggle For Pleasure - Wim Mertens

Frightened
One word pulled the rug out from under Willow.

Frightens.

Moments ago things had been so different. It was about finding security in the face of her fears. All she wanted was the security and comfort that Tara loved her. Needed her. Saw her as an equal. That Tara didn’t look down on her for being new and inexperienced at the things that had brought them together.

Frightens?

That was worse than being a novice. Worse than her opinion not counting because it hadn’t been forged by the same kind of grief.

It couldn’t be true.

“That’s a weird word.”

Equivalent Exchange
“Who is the key?”

Dawn. Of all Willow’s friends Tara got along best with Dawn.

Willow. Willow had changed Tara’s life forever. Willow had brought her love, friendship, and freedom in ways Tara never thought were possible.

This was the trade: Tara now had friends who would fight for her. Who would die protecting her. The least she could do for them was offer them the same fealty.

Not that Glory would spare her if she didn’t.

She composed herself before she turned to her tormenter and shook her head.

“Fine. Let’s get crazy.”

At least vampires just kill you.

The End of the World
No . . . .

“Tara! Are you okay?”

Tara was talking, but it didn’t make any sense. Tara held out her hand. It was covered in blood.

No. Tara wasn’t okay. They’d fought and now Tara was hurt. She’d been selfish and temperamental, and now Tara was broken.

If only she’d been there. If only she hadn’t lost her temper today, of all days. If only she’d kept up her end of the bargain and kept Tara safe. If only she had been enough.

“Tara, I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry.” She pulled Tara close.

Giles said the world wouldn’t end.

Giles said.

June 30th: Squeeze box - The Who

Metaphor
Tara shook her hand gently. “Geeze, Willow. I’m glad I could help, but . . . seriously, talk about a squeeze box.”

Willow looked up in a bliss-induced haze. “The who now?”

“Exactly.”

“Baby, you know not to speak in tongues before my brain turns back on.”

“Hand: squeezed. Made me think of ‘Squeeze box.’ Song. About sex.”

“But, it’s about music.”

“Didn’t they teach you about metaphor in public school?”

“Yes . . . .”

“Next you’re going to say that ‘Cecelia’ is about writer’s block, because she’s the patron saint of writers.”

Willow’s head shot up. “It isn’t?”

Roommate
Tara found Dawn in the kitchen slumped over a mug.

“Dawnie, we said ‘no’ on the coffee front.”

Dawn looked up, clearly exhausted. “Tara, you know I love you, right?”

“Yes . . . .”

“And that I’m really glad you’re back to being yourself and that you guys moved in?”

Tara walked over and hugged Dawn. “Of course, sweetie.”

“It’s just . . . aren’t you two witches? Can’t you guys do a silencing spell?”

Willow walked in. “Good morning. What’s up?”

Tara moved to her, blushing, and whispered, “Apparently not everyone appreciates your ability to make me scream.”

Breaking
“ . . . of Heaven.”

For a moment, Willow just stared, her brain unwilling to process the sounds of the song into words. She felt tears on her cheek. Something was horribly wrong. She just didn’t know what.

There they were again. Only this time they coalesced into words.

Willow stepped back, away from the horrible truth in front of her. Away from the evidence of her unintentional betrayal. Away from the pain and suffering she had rained down on her friend.

Willow felt faint. Only the familiar feel of Tara at her side kept her upright.

There's no escape from the music.

July 1st: The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face - Leona Lewis

Better
“No way.”

“Way.”

“Don’t you think I’d remember?”

“I’m not saying that you saw me. I’m saying that I saw you.”

“There were a dozen people at Wicca orientation. I would have noticed you.”

Tara shook her head. “There were fourteen. Two of us walked in late. I going to be on time, but . . . I saw you sitting there and my feet just kinda stopped.”

“Really?”

“Really. I remember . . . I saw your face, and it was just so beautiful. But also worried. I just wanted to go over and make everything better.”

Willow kissed her. “You did.”

Reality
Tara stared.

It had to be her imagination. Willow couldn’t have just kissed her. She was dreaming. That had to be it.

Only her dreams weren’t that good. Her imagination wasn’t that creative.

Not to have come up with that.

Not lips that soft. Not movement that gentle. Not the feel of Willow’s heart practically pounding out of her chest.

It was the most delightful and perfect thing in the world. And it had just happened to her.

Willow’s smile faltered. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have.”

“Yes. You should have.”

“You mean it?”

“Let me show you.”

She did.

Perfection
Tara lay on top of Willow, her ear over Willow’s heart. She began to catch her breath as she listened to the heartbeat.

“Wow.”

“Yeah. Wow.” Tara snuggled closer. “I think I could just stay here forever.”

“You think so?”

“It’s perfect. I feel like I may have done something right just now.”

“Very right. I assure you. But, are you sure you don’t want to move?”

“Oh, am I hurting you? Let me--”

Willow grabbed Tara’s shoulders. “No, not that. It’s . . . .” Tara felt Willow’s leg shift and then connect.

“Where do you want me?”

July 2nd: First Date - Blink182

Dancing
The door closed behind Willow, and Tara’s jaw dropped.

“Dancing? Me, her, some place called the Bronze . . . for dancing? That’s a date, right Mom?” Tara frowned. “Only, she didn’t say ‘date.’ Just ‘dancing.’ Are dates like playing pretend, where you can’t say the word out loud? Does calling something a date make it . . . less?”

Tara began to pace. “I mean, I guess it doesn’t really matter what we call it. The fact is that it is dancing. Which has certain ‘touching in public’ aspects that are exciting and new."

Tara froze. “Wait! I’m supposed to be changing!”

Nervous
“Willow, calm down.”

“But . . . I can’t.” She fidgeted in her chair.

Tara sighed. “Well, why not?”

“Why not? Why not? Tara, this is our first date. It has to be perfect. You deserve perfect.”

Tara chuckled. “That’s very sweet. But Willow . . . how long have you known I’m attracted to you?”

“98 days, 17 hours, and . . . 5 minutes.”

“How many days has it been since our first kiss? Round, sweetie.”

“91."

“Since we first . . . ?”

“84.”

“And you still think you need to be nervous?”

“No, I guess not.”

Intentions
“Where do you think you’re going?”

“I need my coat.”

“But, I like you naked.”

Tara laughed. “I need something from the pocket.” Tara retrieved the coat and returned to the bed, sliding her hand into the pocket as she walked. It was still there. “Willow, I’m sorry I didn’t help you through your recovery.”

“Tara, no. Not now.”

“You need to know. And you need to know that this . . .” she pointed between them “ . . . isn’t just a lark. It’s forever.”

“I know.”

Tara pulled out and opened a small box. “Forever and ever.”

July 3rd: Somewhere I Belong - Linkin Park

Can't Say a Word
“You have a suggestion?”

Yes, I have a suggestion: listen to Willow. Willow?

Well, whatever her name is, my suggestion is the same: listen to her.

Listen to the girl talking about spells. To the girl with a head on her shoulders. To the girl talking about Wicca as a window into magic. Listen to the incredibly gorgeous, can’t-keep-my-eyes-off captivating, please-Goddess-don’t-let-her-be-straight woman who’s looking right at me . . . .

Everyone’s looking at me and expecting me to talk, but I’ll just make a fool of myself and I can’t.

I shake my head. I have nothing to say.

Rumspringa
“It’s harmless.”

It wasn’t like she would hurt them. Nothing bad would happen.

Besides, it was the only way to be with Willow. She had to hold on to the life she’d built, a life she’d never thought possible. She’d been so preoccupied with making the most of her time with Willow that she forgot not to get used to it.

She’d gotten used to the feeling of being loved and adored. She couldn’t bear the thought of living without that feeling. Without Willow.

It was just a little lie. No one would get hurt.

She just couldn’t go back.

Hollow and Alone
For the second time that day, Willow found herself in the shower sobbing. She’d been running away from herself so hard she’d nearly killed herself. Worse, she’d nearly killed Dawn.

It was over: time to stop.

For a moment, she thought about calling Tara. About telling her she was really quitting.

But she couldn’t.

She had to solve this on her own. To stand on her own two feet. To prove she was a person above and beyond her relationship.

Willow had to wait until the wounds were healed to reach out.

Not that Tara would love who was left.

July 4th: On Bended Knees - BoyZ II Men

Slapped out of It
It was the slap that did it.

Not the car crash. Not the blood trickling down her forehead. Not even the look of pure hatred. One simple slap.

Willow had known it was wrong, but she just couldn’t stop. She knew she needed help, but she was too proud to ask.

Until Dawn slapped her.

Willow didn’t know exactly why, but in that moment she could finally see clearly: Tara driven away, her friends mistrustful, and Dawn--the girl she’d played parent to for months--hurt and angry.

All she could do was beg for help. Forgiveness could come later.

In Dignity
Seeing Tara again hurt: it cut straight through the brave face she'd donned as armor. Watching Tara walk away was torture, but she couldn't tear her eyes away.

Stupid last shred of dignity. It was all that stood between Willow and giving in to the need to cry. The urge to fall to her knees and beg Tara to turn around. To cry out to Tara: I did it what you wanted! What more do you want from me?

But to do such a thing would be wrong. She'd done wrong by Tara enough.

Willow turned to the shop.

To Hell and Back Again
Willow lay on her bed, trying to study, but she kept looking up, expecting to find herself in a hand basket. It was silly, of course: she'd seen the world nearly plunged into hell time after time. There never was any hand basket.

All the same, the day had felt like hell on Earth. Tara hadn't even asked if they when they could meet again after Anya had interrupted their coffee meeting. Anya, of course, had then proceeded to ruin Willow's triumph over the nerds by breaking Xander's heart and somehow really pissing off Buffy.

Today, Willow decided, really sucked.

July 5th: Think Twice - Eve 6

Grin and Bear
“Are you sure you don't wanna come in?”

Tara shook her head, unable to speak. She knew if she tried to talk again the tears would come. Instead, she flashed a nervous smile before hurrying to the double doors at the end of the hall.

Entirely without her permission, Tara's feet carried her down the stairs. They didn't take her out to the street, but rather to a familiar room: a room filled with washers, dryers and dashed beginnings.

Tara collapsed against the soda machine, gasping for air.

I've lost her.

She didn't bother to tell him my name.

Sacrifice
The pieces suddenly fell into place, but they painted an ugly picture. It couldn't be true.

I gave up everything for her. I got better for her.

Rage and despair battled for supremacy as the look on the blonde's face confirmed the worst.

It couldn't be. Not someone else. Not after going to such lengths to be better. To be the sort of person she needed, she deserved. It was all in vain. All too late. It physically hurt.

Rage began to win. It was time for fighting.

But if it came to that, she would never forgive.

“Run.”

Knowledge
Willow bolted from the library in a beeline for Stevenson. She had to get to Buffy: Buffy could rescue Oz. They had to rescue Oz.

But as she ran, all she could think of was Tara. She knew from experience what it was to be near the sharp end of Oz's teeth. The thought of Tara facing that terror made Willow run harder.

Tara said she was okay, but that was a miracle. She could have been bitten. She could have been maimed. She could have been killed.

Willow loved her too much for that.

That's when Willow knew.

Don't Touch My Girl(Set in JustSkipIt's "Waiting for Dani.")
Tara couldn't help herself. She looked again across the ballroom for her girl. She knew perfectly well she should be paying closer attention to her dance partners. Largely ignoring them was rather inconsiderate.

She found it a blessing that her dancing instruction had been so ingrained: it allowed her to dance and engage in light conversation while tracking a splash of red amongst the party goers.

Tara knew she didn't have to worry. Tonight of all nights she was sure no one would make a move. It would be rude beyond rude.

And yet, she kept looking.

Dani was hers.

July 6th: Take a Chance on Me – ABBA

At Her Worst
Tara couldn't believe it. There she was, standing, no, dancing at the Bronze. With Willow. On her birthday.

Her twentieth birthday.

Not only was her sword of Damocles some kind of twisted fiction (a fact she hadn't really had time to understand completely), but Willow still loved her. Willow knew about the deception and the spell. And yet, somehow Willow still loved her.

In fact, she loved Tara more.

Tara had always known Willow was remarkable, that Willow had an amazing capacity to love, whether in the face of lycanthropy or crazy slayer issues.

How did she do it?

“Magic.”

Stuff
Where “stuff” obviously includes the kissing and the touching and the you looking at me in that way that makes my heart go all poundy and the part where I finally feel alive again for the first time since Oz left and it feels really kinda weird to think his name when I'm standing here have kissing and touching and heart poundy thoughts about you and it would really suck if Adam kills us all before I can sort that out or at least get to do the second base thing so we should make with the spell.

Back to Normal
It was strange, really. Anya regularly annoyed the living daylights out of Willow.

Well, that wasn't true. Not anymore. Since their troll fiasco truce, their verbal sparring had become friendly banter instead of actual fighting. Mostly.

Even since then, Willow never thought of Anya as someone she could point to and say, “Yes! What she said. That's what I mean.”

So it was utterly surreal for her to look at Tara and feel exactly that. To wish she could be saying Anya's words to the woman she loved.

“Like a little stray.”

There. That was more like it.

July 7th: More than Words--Extreme

Tara knew right away what had happened. It didn't help matters. It just made them worse.

So it took no time at all to push Willow off of her. No choosing, no deciding. Because there wasn’t any need. Tara didn't know how she knew. She just did.

In that instant, Willow had gone from stranger to anathema.

As Tara stood on her own two feet, she could only stare. Willow, so often made claustrophobic without words, didn't even try to explain. There was nothing to say.

Silence returned, marking not only the start of their relationship, but also the end.

A relationship, Tara knew, was founded on more than love. More than attraction. Even more than an embarrassment of sex.

A relationship needed trust.

It didn't matter, really, if Willow loved her. Willow had certainly been acting like someone in love.

Until now.

Tara had always known Oz would come back. She'd pushed it aside time and time again, afraid to contemplate the notion. But even when his return entered her nightmares, Tara had never imagined this.

Didn't she at least deserve a goodbye before Willow jumped back into bed with him? Hadn't she earned that?

There was a knock.

As Willow looked at Buffy, she felt sick.

How many times had they exchanged sisterly “I love you”s? How many times had Buffy reassured her that she was happy for her? Happy that she'd found someone new to love?

But now the truth was coming out. Buffy was freaked.

Not only was she freaked, she was acting like sleeping with Tara somehow sapped her basic capacity to operate a simple computer.

Buffy kept talking, more of her slayer martyrdom crap, but Willow didn't pay much attention.

She was supposed to be supportive. This wasn't how you treated a friend.

July 12th: Another Brick in the Wall--Pink Floyd

Teacher?
“Tara, come on.”

“I said no.”

“Please?”

“Dawnie, no.”

“But you and Willow would be great!”

“Sweetie, I know it's going to be a hard year. But you've got to go to school, just like we do. If we're going to provide you with a decent future, we need to finish college. We just don't have time to home school you at the same time.

“You and your stupid logic.”

“Yeah, well, blame Willow for that.”

“Stupid Willow.” Willow chose that moment to enter.

“Hey! I heard that!”

“Oops.”

Fighting the (Council)-Man
Tara and Willow collapsed onto the bed, each bloodied and dirty.

“We can't keep this up. When is the next slayer going to arrive?”

“That's the thing. Buffy's death didn't call a new slayer. The next one won't be called until Faith's death.”

“Wow. So if the council found out . . . .”

“They'd probably go kill Faith. She doesn't mean anything to them. Just another brick in the wall.”

“Baby, I love it when you're all anti-establishment, but they take you less seriously if you quote Pink Floyd at them.”

“Well, phooey.”

Winning
There was a crick in Tara's neck, her left arm tingled from the low blood supply (next time, that had to go elsewhere), and she was really thirsty, even though her mouth and face were both completely drenched (seriously, what was up with that?).

But none of that mattered.

What mattered was that she could look across the naked body before her and at the blissful expression on Willow's face. No one had to teach her this; all she had to do was to pay attention to Willow. And that was the most natural thing in the world.

“Jenga.”

July 13th: Heartbreaker - Dionne Warwick

Out of the Spell
The trip home had been silent. When it looked like neither of them would make it back, Xander gently took Willow's arm while Dawn took Tara's a good ten feet back. It wasn't until they were safely in the Summers' home that they were released.

Tara walked up the stairs, even though Willow had gone up them only moments before. There were things she needed from the bedroom, and she couldn't bear to come back to get them anytime soon.

As she approached the bathroom, Tara could feel Willow's presence. Tara stopped in front of the door.

“Undo it.”

Not Around
“Hello?”

“Hey. It's me.”

“H-hey.”

“I miss you.”

“I miss you, too.”

“When are you coming back?

“I don't know.”

“But, this is your home.”

“I know.”

“So come back.”

“I can't. Not now.”

“Why not?”

“It's complicated.”

“I'm a big girl. Explain it.”

“It just . . . wasn't enough.”

“What would be?”

“I have to be able to trust.”

“It's better.”

“I'm not so sure.”

“But . . . I love you.”

“I love you too, Dawnie.”

You Never Call
Willow sat in her room, holding Mr. Snugglepupkins close to her chest as she stared at the phone.

Surely Tara would call.

Wouldn't she?

Tara knew about the crash: Willow had overheard Dawn telling her about it last night. Despite herself, she smiled at the thought. Based on Dawn's side of the conversation, Tara was asking the questions a mother would ask.

Tara had taken to being a parent so well.

Willow had always wanted to do it properly, starting with a baby instead of a teenager. Sometime after they graduated. Once they got married.

Tara just had to call.

July 14th: Enough is Enough - Barbara Streisand and Donna Summer

Get the Check(This takes place in the universe established by Sassette in "Not A Date.")

Willow reached for the check. “I've got it.”

“But, you got it last week.”

“I know.”

“And you got the movie last week.”

“I know.”

“And you got the popcorn last week.”

“Tara, I haven't forgotten last Friday. I had a really good time.”

“I j-just mean, you don't have to keep paying for stuff.”

I invited you. Hence, I make with the paying.”

“But--”

“You are not going to win this, missy.”

This is not a date, Tara reminded herself. I can do this. Not a date.

Rain
What Tara missed most about northern California was the rain. That wasn't to say it rained a lot in Yolo county. But it did rain. And when it rained, it poured.

As a young girl, she'd always been amused that the rain broke the stoplights. Even on the busier streets, all the stoplights turned to stop signs in the face of the rain. Not that Davis had busy streets.

Rain was why she'd really dragged six hours north on I-5. Not to show Willow where Tara had grown up. But to see Willow in the street, dancing in the rain.

Plenty More Tears
Willow burst into the bathroom to find Tara kneeling at the side of the tub, calmly rinsing Joshua's hair. Joshua, by contrast, was screaming his head off.

“Joshua? Hey buddy, what's wrong?”

When Joshua simply continued to scream, Tara answered instead. “He found the Vaseline, and decided it was hair gel. Pass me the shampoo?”

“Oh god. How many times have you washed his hair?”

“This will be seven. I'm not sure we'll get enough out for him to sleep on a pillowcase tonight.”

“Whoever named this shampoo 'No More Tears' never met our son.”

July 15th: Do You Really Want To Hurt Me - Culture Club

Prepared to Let You Go
Tara steadied herself. The single moment, the one time that Tara had needed Willow to put a name to the change in their relationship, to put into words what they had been doing with their bodies had come.

And gone.

She didn’t know.

Willow still loved Oz. That much was clear. And not knowing didn’t have much of a chance against certainty.

After the brief reprise of hope Willow had brought her, it was time for Tara to let her go again. She stepped closer, and ran the back of her hand along Willow's cheek.

“Do what makes you h-happy.”

Hurt
“That’d be a good start.”

Tara was stunned. They’d disagreed before, they’d had heated arguments before—particularly about the magic--but nothing like this. Not with words that were meant to cut and tear rather than persuade or deflect.

Even when Willow had come to Tara in tears, not knowing whether to return to Oz or to stay with Tara, she’d done so with more compassion than she showed now. Just as she did then, the only thing Tara knew how to do was to show Willow she loved her.

“If I didn't love you so damn much, I would.”

Wrapped in Sorrow
Willow looked at the outfit she’d laid on the bed, desperate for its owner and the comfort she brought. Though the shower had washed away the filthy feeling from the night before, it left her sorrow intact.

It had been years since she had felt like this: down with no one to lean on, no one to help pick herself up again. Her whole life she’d known she faired better as part of a team, but now everyone felt so far away.

Willow hovered her hand above the clothes and embraced a pale imitation of the life she had lost.

July 16th: Automatic - The Pointer Sisters

Roommate II
“Okay, so the RNA goes--”

“mRNA.”

“'Kay, the mRNA goes from the nucleus to the cytoplasm, where it gets . . . translated? . . . into protein?”

“Yes, translated. By what?”

“Um, the endoplasmic reticulum?”

“Not quite. See, the ribosomes do the translating, but they're on the outside of the ER, so the new legs long soft girl skin pillow bite need want take have--.

Dawn didn't even glance over her shoulder. “Dammit Tara, would you please put on more than a robe when we're in here studying?”

“Sorry.”

Too Weak to Stand
Willow sighed contentedly as she nestled her head against Tara's thigh.

“We should go shower, get dressed.”

Willow squinted up at Tara. “You're welcome.”

“I swear you told me the moaning and the screaming were thanks enough.”

“Well, yeah, they are. Until you try to get me out of bed.”

“We were supposed to meet everyone at the Bronze fifteen minutes ago.”

“Can you stand?”

Tara tested her unoccupied leg. “Probably . . . .”

“Well, that's no good.” Willow rolled back onto her stomach.

“ . . . If you insist.”

Negotiations
“Are you sure about this?”

“Yes.”

“Like, really sure?”

“You know, I did think about this before I asked. It's okay, honest.”

“I just . . . .”

“I'm sure. Really.”

“Well, if you're sure . . . .”

“Jeeze, this from the girl who's been roughly shoving me against things and kissing me senseless for . . . how long now?”

“Yeah, well . . . shut up. And lift your head: I'm not tying this blindfold around the pillow.”

“Should have known a little lip would do it.”

July 18th: You - The Pretty Reckless

Temptation
Tara lay awake in the darkness, an unfamiliar warmth pressed into her side. It was nice.

That was the problem.

It simply provided so many tempting possibilities: to run her fingers through Willow’s hair, to place kiss after kiss on Willow’s forehead, to move her own hand (nonchalantly wrapped around Willow) under the thin shirt keeping Tara away from the feel of Willow’s skin.

Tempting, too, was the urge to slide her unoccupied hand into her own pajama bottoms and address the much more familiar and increasingly pressing warmth that resided there.

It was going to be a long night.

Bargaining
Bargaining: wasn’t that one of the stages of grief? Not that it mattered. Tara couldn’t care less if her reaction was stereotypical or textbook or any of the other words she knew that meant “normal.”

All that mattered was that she couldn’t lose Willow. Not now.

Of course, Oz’s appearance meant that in ways she already had lost Willow. Important, not having her heart broken ways.

Even still, she wanted Willow in her life. Needed Willow in her life. It was just too empty without her.

“Whatever, you know, happens . . . I'll still be here. I'll still be your friend.”

Conflicting Needs
The words Tara was saying didn't make any sense. Hell, it didn't look like they made sense to her, either.

Why didn't that stop her from saying them?

Willow needed Tara: her whole life centered around Tara. But now Tara was talking like there was no sun at the center of the solar system. Wouldn't everything just go careening off into space, meaningless?

No, it couldn't be right. They were equals, each dependent on the other. Tara loved her. Tara needed her.

Didn't she?

But this didn't fit that paradigm, that reality.

“Are you saying you're gonna leave me?”

July 19th: Phenomena - Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Sweat in the Water
Willow didn't know how it worked. She'd seen Tara naked every day for years. Some days—some very, very good days—she'd seen Tara naked all day.

Tara naked was certainly a good thing. A wonderful thing. One of those things that she never stopped being excited about, like cell phones with cameras in them. So it was impressive the effect Tara walking into view could have on her.

All with the addition of a little blue swimsuit.

Willow could do nothing but stare, not noticing the cold ocean water around her.

Or the large wave that proceeded to knock her over.

Don't Touch
Tara pinned Willow's wrists. “Stay.”

Willow nodded, then made a play with her teeth for the breast in front of her face. Tara anticipated the traditional move and sat up in time to dodge it, gently shoving Willow's head back in the process.

“What did I say about the touching?”

“You said not to move my hands.” Willow glanced up. “See, totally in place.”

“Well, if you want to play like that . . . ." Tara began to move off Willow.

“Wait!”

Tara stopped. “Can you be good?”

“Yes. Only good.”

Tara smiled. “Excellent.”

Get Her Body Off
Willow woke up just enough to know that she was sweating and that there was a large heat source half on top of her. Without bothering to wake up any further, she pushed at the big hot thing, mumbling “get your body . . . off.”

With that, Willow flipped her pillow and turned over, kicking off the sheet clinging to her legs.

Willow's arm moved suddenly and without her consent, and her fingers entered something warm and wet. A hot breath whispered in her ear. “Only if you help.”

“Wha?”

“Get . . . my body . . . off.”

“Ohhh. Yeaokay.”

July 20th: Boy With a Coin - Iron & Wine

Para España
Alma emerged from the small Sevilla home in her red and black Flamenco dress. Juan began to play his guitar and sing. For the first song, everyone else simply clapped along and watched Alma dance. Then, women jumped up to join in the dancing, and the younger boys pulled out their guitars to join Juan.

Tara leaned over to Willow and whispered in her ear. “I'll learn to play guitar like that if you learn to dance like that.”

“Deal.”

As the third song began, Willow and Tara were pulled from their seats to join in the dancing.

Crying at Birth
Willow couldn't pull her eyes off the tiny baby boy in Tara's arms. Well, except for the somewhat frequent loving looks she gave to Tara.

“I can't believe you made him.”

Tara chuckled. “Well, you helped.”

“Pfft. The hell I did.”

Tara kissed Willow's forehead. “You did help. You did everything I asked for and more.”

Joshua yawned, entrancing both women. Tara, clearly overwhelmed, began to cry, a broad smile on her face.

“Good tears?” Willow checked.

“Good tears.” Tara looked up at Willow and then back at Joshua. “Best graduation present ever.”

Boy with a Coin
Joshua stood on the shore of Jasmund National Park and looked out over the Baltic Sea.

“Go ahead, kiddo. Make your wish,” Tara encouraged him.

He screwed up his small face as he dug into his pockets and pulled out a German Euro cent. He stared at the oak design for a moment before he hurled it into the sea.

“Where are we going next, Imale?”

“Mutti has a job in Dresden, and we are going on a history adventure.”

“What happened?”

Willow looked at him sadly. “We burned it to the ground.”

July 21st: Stereo Love - Edward Maya & Vika Jigulina

Apology
Tara glanced at the sky. It was going to be dark soon: time to find Willow. Tara descended the porch steps scanned the shoreline. Unsurprisingly, she spotted Willow perched atop her favorite rock.

Slowly, but careful to make enough noise as to alert Willow to her presence, Tara made her way across the surrounding rocks to a spot behind Willow. Willow shifted enough that Tara understood she’d been noticed, but they both remained silent and still as the sun set.

Tara placed a hand on Willow’s shoulder. “I’m sorry.”

Willow reached up and squeezed Tara’s hand. “I know.”

Things I Never Done
"You were looking at her," Willow scowled.

"She was walking right at us."

"No, I mean looking at her."

Tara sighed. "Yes. And?"

"Why would you do that?"

Tara rolled her eyes. "Because she's hot."

"So, what, you see some chick on the boardwalk--"

"And you think I'll do what, Willow? Anything more than look?" Tara stopped and turned to Willow. "Have I ever done anything more?"

"No."

"Have I ever done anything to make you think I want to do more?"

"Well, no."

"Then don't get mad at me for having eyes."

"I guess . . . . She was pretty hot."

"Exactly."

Lose Control
"Just so you know, if Xander hurts her, I'll kick his ass."

Willow blinked a few times. Xander had warned her about the maid of honor being particularly defensive of Dawn.

"Don't worry. There wont be any need for that, he's a sweet guy. I promise."

"Dawn keeps telling me." Willow gulped as Tara took a predatory step forward. "You know what else she tells me?"

" . . . no?"

"That you're single." Tara kissed her. Hard. When she stepped back, Tara mashed the "4" button on the elevator. "C'mon. Rehearsal isn't for an hour."

"Sounds good."

"I'm Tara, by the way."

"Willow."

July 22nd: Say (All I Need) - OneRepublic

Accommodations
“Do you need anything?”

Willow shook her head. “Nu uh.”

“Are you sure?”

“I think so. I mean, let's see. Oxygen . . .” Willow made a show of taking a deep breath, “. . . check. Pillow?” Willow bounced her head gently on Tara's shoulder. “Check. Seems good to me.”

“I mean, your r-roommate won't be worried or anything?”

“Who, Buffy? Naw, she'd be more worried about me walking around at night. Besides, I conk out in the science library all the time.”

“As long as you're set.”

“I am. Sweet dreams, Tara.”

“Sweet dreams.”

Decisions
Willow sat in the library with her study group. She was supposed to be working on physics. Instead, she was staring at the picture that had displaced the periodic table as the front picture in her wallet. It was from a good day: she and Tara had spent the day goofing off at the bowling alley.

Every time she looked at it, Tara's question from that night rang in her ears: “Do you know where your heart is?” Willow hadn't known then, and she didn't know now.

That day, not knowing was okay. Today, she really needed to know.

Say It
“Say it.”

“No.”

“C'mon, please?”

“Willow, no.”

“I'll love you forever.”

“I have that anyways.”

“Fine. I'll do it if you say it.”

“You'll do it anyways.”

“Well, yeah, but, that's not the point.”

“What is the point?”

“That I want to hear you say it.”

“Fine.”

“Really?”

“Really.” Tara shook her head. “I want you to fuck me as hard as you can.”

Willow nipped at Tara's ear. “Yes.”

“Remind me not to let you watch Fight Club with Xander anymore.”

July 23rd: Chicken Fried - Zac Brown Band

Sunrise
“Hey baby, wake up.”

“Stop it.” She flailed at me ineffectively.

“No. You made me promise to get you up.”

“I take it back.”

“You said you’d say that, and not to listen.”

“I didn’t mean it. Let me sleep”

“You said you’d say that, too.” I pulled the covers off her and sprayed water on her nude form.

She sat up, sputtering, and I couldn’t help but laugh.

“What the hell was that?”

“You said to do whatever it took.” I smirked at her before pointing out the window of our crappy hostel room. “Look: Parisian sunrise.”

“Thank you.”

Little Things
Tara lay in the backyard and watched Willow standing next to the grill, laughing with Xander. Tara had been concerned about Willow’s recent decision not to go to grad school, particularly since the announcement immediately preceded a proposal.

Willow had insisted that what she wanted out of life had changed: she wanted to marry Tara, not her career.

Would it be enough? Would Willow be happy just living?

Willow suddenly started chasing Xander around the backyard, smiling and shouting at him. She looked happier and more relaxed than Tara had ever seen her.

Tara stood and caught Willow’s arm.

“Yes.”

Just Right
“What are you doing?”

“Sorting clothes to be cut into rags. Like you told me to?”

“But, why are those in the rag box?”

Willow picked up the indicated pair of jeans. “Well, they have a hole in the knee.”

“We’re keeping those. Intact.”

“But you said--”

“I didn’t mean those. I like those.”

“They’re mine.”

“Here, let me show you something.” Tara removed a dumbfounded Willow’s slacks, then helped her into the jeans in question. “See?”

“What am I…?”

“Your ass.”

Willow looked into the mirror.

“Huh. Keepers?”

“Keepers. And leave ‘em on. Until I take them off.”

July 24th: River--Angus Stone

Christmas in SoCal is Green
“Christmas here is weird.”

“What do you mean?”

“Look: palm trees.”

“There's always palm trees there.”

“Palm trees aren't very Christmas-y.”

“Sure they are. These have colored lights and everything.”

“It's not the same. The air is warm and the grass is green and the sprinklers still go off every night.”

“Shouldn't they?”

“No! It should be cold and the grass should be asleep under a blanket of snow. We should need hot chocolate and fresh baked cookies to keep warm.”

“Dammit, Tara, now I want cookies and hot chocolate.”

Made My Baby Leave
Willow had never been a big Christmas person, understandably. The day itself had mostly meant that the library was closed and that Xander was busy.

Yet this year, the Christmas season brought to Willow the pervasive melancholy that it brought Charlie Brown.

She'd spent the last two Christmases with Tara.

In light of Joyce's death, Dawn and Buffy had been invited to Janice's. Buffy gave Dawn permission to go, though she had declined. Where she was, Willow had no idea.

Willow crept quietly into her old bedroom and burrowed into the covers of the bed, desperate for time to pass.

December 25, not Christmas
Christmas used to be Tara's favorite holiday. Spending it with Willow, who conveniently had few customs of her own, had been wonderful. They had a chance to start their own traditions.

But this year she was alone. The traditions they began left dusty in the attic of her mind.

The season's marketing of joy was so pervasive that it made Tara sick.

How could it be Christmas without the people she loved the most? Wasn't that what Christmas meant, being with the people she loved?

How could it be Christmas if Willow had chosen power over her?

It couldn't be.

July 26th: Because--The Beatles

Arc
“Mutti, why are we flying over Greenland?”

“Why don't you ask Imale?”

“She's asleep.”

Tara smiled mischievously. “Let's wake her up.”

“Okay!” Joshua bounced in his seat and shook Willow. “Wake up!”

“What? Huh? Food?”

“Why are we flying over Greenland? It's not on the way to Amsterdam.”

Willow stared at Joshua until Tara began to chuckle. “You put him up to this.”

“Maybe.”

“Hey! Answer me!”

“Because the earth is round, sweetie.”

“Huh?”

“Ask me when we're near a globe. I'm going back to sleep.”

Dinner Physics
“And that's how wind power works.” Willow put down her crayon.

“You didn't need to do that.”

“What?”

Tara pointed at the drawings sprawled over the table. “The lecture on wind power.”

“You asked.”

“No, I said 'gosh, those wind turbines are big.'”

“I asked if you knew why, and you said no.”

“You could have said 'the wind is high.'”

“But--”

Tara held up a hand to Willow then gestured at the waiter. “No. First, we order.”

“But I don't know what I want.”

Sound of Silence
Willow lay back on the bed and rubbed her eyes. Despite years of honor role and demon research, they did have a breaking point. They had reached it. Willow had spent the past month glued to books as much as possible. Textbooks, fiction, even Dawn's crummy magazines.

Anything to keep her mind occupied.

The emptiness of the space began to crush in, and Willow flipped on the radio. Within a few songs a cheery Beatles tune came on.

The song got a few lines in before Willow snapped it off.

Anything was better than Beatles after a breakup.

Even silence.

July 27th: New Shoes - Paolo Nutini

Diversionary Tactics
Willow cringed as the bell above the door announced their arrival. She cringed again when she saw the group look up from their books.

She hadn’t meant to make them late.

It was just . . . Tara hadn’t replaced her towel after throwing her old one in the laundry. So Willow diligently brought her a new one. But the sight of Tara wet and naked pushed all thoughts of demon research to the farthest corners of her mind.

“Where have you guys been?”

“Um.”

“Willow needed new shoes.”

Willow blinked.

Buffy nodded. “Footwear is crucial.”

Willow couldn’t believe it worked.

Karaoke
“How much is that?”

“About $150. At least, at the exchange rate we got.”

“And that’s all that’s left?”

“Yes.”

“But we have three more nights in Tokyo?”

“Yup.”

“With no hotels paid for.”

“That is correct.”

“Dammit, Willow, remind me not to let you carry the money. At least, not when there are electronics for sale every fifty feet.”

“But it’ll probably be another two years before some of this makes it stateside.”

“That doesn’t buy us food, Willow.”

“I know.”

“You know what this means?”

“Three nights at all night karaoke bars?”

“At least there’s complementary sake.”

Not So Sweet Strolling
“You know what’s awesome?”

“Japanese electronics are awesome.”

“I still haven’t forgiven you for that.”

“I’m sorry. Do continue.”

“I know it’s cliché and all, but long walks on the beach. The sun is all bright and sweet and the sand is squishy and the view is gorgeous.”

“And the company?”

“Delightful. But that’s not an inherent part of beach walks.”

“Are you saying you go walking on the beach with someone else?”

“Don’t make me push you in the water.”

“You wouldn't dare.”

“Oh wouldn't I?”

Willow ran.

July 28th: I Can See Forever in Your Eyes - Reba McEntire

Vocabulary
“. . . these deep cerulean pools--”

“Blue. They’re blue. And they’re eyes, not pools.”

“Oh, hey Tara.” Dawn sat back to watch the exchange.

Willow swiveled around in her chair and pulled Tara onto her lap. “They are so cerulean.”

“Baby, no one says ‘cerulean.’”

“No one says ‘inured’ either, but you don’t stop me from saying that.”

“Hey now, ‘inured’ is a great word. I use it all the time.”

“Who made you the authority on word usage?”

“You did.”

“Pfft.”

Tara laughed. “What do you see in my eyes, anyways?”

Willow looked at her seriously. “Forever.”

Nightmares
Screaming brought Willow running into the bedroom. She found Tara rocking in the center of the bed, arms clutched around her legs.

“Tara? Baby, it’s me. I’m walking up to you. The bed’s about to move, that’s just me sitting down. Not so bad. Okay, I’m going to hug you now.”

Willow felt Tara jerk as she wrapped her arms gently around Tara’s shoulders, but the screaming gave way to sobbing.

“Where did you go?”

“Bathroom. I’m sorry,” Willow whispered. Long minutes later, Willow encouraged Tara back into bed.

“Never let me go.”

Fire
It began slowly. Shirts purposefully unbuttoned, then slid off shoulders. Breasts were teased at the edges of bras before clumsy fingers finally undid clasps.

A pair of shoes was hastily kicked off, but boots provided a larger obstacle. Their owner was pushed roughly onto the bed, then their laces quickly untied. As the laces were undone, nervous hands thumbed a button and tugged at a zipper.

Boots were tugged off, then jeans, then a skirt.

The second girl joined the first on the bed.

"I want you so bad."

"I know."

"How?"

"When you touch me, I feel the fire."

July 29th: Our Lips Are Sealed Lyrics--The Go-Go's

Rumors
Willow sat Tara's lap, but her eyes kept wandering to a group of girls across the room.

“I think they're talking about us,” she whispered.

“Hmm?”

“They keep looking over here, then turning back to the group and whispering really loud. Not so loud I know what they're saying, though.”

“It's okay. Just ignore them.”

“But, they're talking. About you.”

“You're not used to this, are you?”

“Used to what?”

“The glances. The whispers. People suddenly turning the other way.”

“Nope.”

“Some people just have never met a witch before.”

Paper Walls
Screaming and thumping woke Willow up. In a sleepy haze, she tried to figure out how to cover her ears with her pillow without putting it between herself and Tara.

“Willow?”

“Yeah, baby?”

“What are you doing?”

“It's just . . . those two next door are at it again and I don't want to hear it.”

“Funny, you like it when I'm that loud.”

“Well, yeah.”

“And I like it when you're that loud.”

“You mean you're proud of yourself when--.” Willow gasped as a hand entered her pajama bottoms.

“Drown 'em out.”

Silence
Tara didn't know what to do. The disturbing thuds coming from the door had stopped, which was good. Willow hadn't let go over her hand. That was good, too.

But trapped in silence wasn't exactly how she'd imagined holding hands with Willow.

Willow shifted her leg, and must have bumped her injured ankle, because both her hands swiftly grabbed it.

“Crap!”

It took Tara a moment to realize the significance of what Willow had just said. As relief washed over her, she looked up at Willow's face, her own broad smile mirrored there.

They both fell over laughing.

July 30th: Terri Clark--Now that I've Found You

A Lifetime Just Ain't Enough
Willow Rosenberg hated Istanbul.

It wasn't the city's fault. In a way it was her brain's, for picking the city at random twenty years ago. In a bigger way it was Warren's fault, for ripping her life asunder eighteen years ago.

Exactly, in fact.

So Willow didn't exactly want to be at a cafe in Istanbul waiting for some potential.

There was a tap on her shoulder. “Willow?”

Willow began to turn, but quickly found a strange girl in her lap. Who began kissing her like she hadn't been kissed in eighteen years.

“ . . . Tara?

“I found you.”

The Real Me
“You're one of the good guys.”

Tara's smile faded. The fear and panic she'd managed to keep at bay when Willow was around washed through her. She wasn't one of the good guys. She was a time bomb.

For a second, she thought about asking for help. Talking to Willow or Giles or even Buffy.

But she couldn't.

Because she was an outsider. Buffy and Giles weren't her friends; they were Willow's friends.

As for Willow, how would she look at her? How could she stand to be anywhere near her? She couldn't. Not after this kind of betrayal.

Cowboy Hats
“Tara, come here!”

Tara rolled her eyes. Shopping with Willow was always an experience. “Yes dear.”

“Here!” Willow stretched out her hands, a black cowboy hat in one, and jean overalls in the other. “Put these on.” She nodded at the dressing room.

Tara rolled her eyes, but did as she was told. It was Willow's birthday after all.

When Tara emerged, Willow promptly adjusted the hat on Tara's head, then took three steps back, and paused for a moment. She then stepped forward again and whispered in Tara's ear.

“I'm taking you home. Now.”

July 31st: I Could Not Ask For More - Sara Evans

Smile When You Smile
Every time she was with Tara, Willow felt compelled to do whatever it took to make her smile. So any time they planned to meet, she found something to bring to her. A new spell, a pretty sample from her mineral collection, a flower. Anything she could.

As she walked between classes, she thought about what she'd just learned, scanning for stories or jokes Tara would like. Growing up with Xander had given her a good sense of comedic timing.

Sometimes she wondered what made her so determined. But then Tara smiled, and it pushed all thought from her head.

Perfection II
Tara shifted in her bed, a warm body next to her instantly waking her completely. She stared at Willow's naked form beside her. She'd thought she'd never see that again.

She remembered the night before. Willow's return, bearing not just news of her safety, but a candle to fight the darkness and an admission of love to fight Tara's sorrow.

Late into the night, Willow was determined to make up for the months of uncertainty, for her inability to name to what she felt. Over and over, Willow had whispered to Tara, “I love you.”

It was perfection.

Listening to the Rain
Willow and Tara lay in the hammock on the porch, watching the rain fall onto the lake.

“Fine, fine. I give. You were right. A weekend up here is just what I needed.”

“Just what the doctor ordered.”

“You're not that kind of doctor.”

“The kind that gives orders? Of course I am.”

“You're the kind of wife that gives orders. The doctorate is completely orthogonal.”

“Then, as your wife, I order you to go get the blanket.”

“Slave driver.”

“Did you want to sleep alone tonight?”

“I'll get the blanket.”

August 1st: There You'll Be - Faith Hill

In My Heart
Willow didn't know when it had happened. It must have been gradual, or she would have noticed.

However it happened, it didn't change the reality. She woke up one day, and Tara had taken up residence in her heart.

It reminded her of how Tara, unused to sharing a bed, would gradually spread out through the night: eventually, Willow would wake up pushed to the side of the bed with no covers while Tara slept in the center, a smile on her face.

What was nice was that Tara hadn't displaced anything in Willow's heart. She just made it bigger.

Thesis Statement
Tara blinked as a sheaf of paper was dropped on the table in front of her with a loud thud.

“I don't see why you can't edit on the computer like a sane person.”

“I already edited it on the computer. I want to do a pass on paper, too.” Tara flipped through the first few administrative pages hastily, as she'd already gone over those a dozen times. She stopped, however, when she came to an unfamiliar page.

For Tara
Without her, I would never have made it through one doctorate, let alone three.
I love you, baby.

Dreams Gone By
Hearing from her daughter was a bittersweet experience for Tara. On the one hand, she was happy Cecilia was seeing the world: backpacking through Europe and getting sick off questionable pho in Vietnam. On the other, she’d always wanted to do some of those things herself. Instead, she’d married early, settled down, and started a family. A business. Worked to keep Willow on her feet through school.

Willow burst into the room. “I threw some cake and milk into the blender. You have to try it!” Willow ran back into the kitchen.

Tara laughed. She'd made a good choice.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:14 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 1
Sigh-um, even when it's a singer I like I never know the songs. Doesn't make these any less fun to read, however :-).

Sue: We don't talk about things like that right after, you know that, no saying those things in The Moment.
Kim: (moves the hand aside) Screw The Moment. I *love* you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:33 pm 
2. Floating Rose

BeMyDeputy I just finished re-reading all your drabbles and there are some things I wanted to say:
first, thank you for posting them all together so I didn't have to scan through the posts, panicking after I realised I had missed a couple of them and didn't know if there were more;
second, having three new little shots of W/T everyday has been really a pleasure that I'll surely miss;
third, you made me appreciate vignettes and glimpse-short storys, and I must say I am impressed on how every story was easy to place in the canon continuum or made up a new world all by itself (the drabble from "Waiting for Dani" was a beautiful surprise, but maybe I should also thank JustSkipIt about this one!).
So, to sum it up, great work!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:19 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Katie - There are simply too many to catch up on commenting on every single one. I love them all. Thanks for the WFD shout-out (again). I told you that your constant references even got me to reread it last week. Vocabulary: So Ash has been having these crayon dance contests where he starts with a pile of crayons and colors a little with each and decides which move to the next round. It takes hours. But every time he colors with cerulean or says it's in the bottom three or whatever, I feel like laughing.

Well done!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:37 am 
3. Flaming O

I Can See Forever In Your Eyes - Reba McEntire

Time-Slip

From the moment I noticed her, I saw no-one else. Standing in the crowded bus as it jerked to a halt, I craned to watch her board, her slender frame slipping through the press until she reached me. She smiled with a soft, humorous mouth. I smiled back, moved beyond words, beyond worlds. Getting off, she glanced back at me. Then, with a flash of red hair and green eyes, she was gone. She was perhaps twenty. There was a connection. She felt it, too. I am sixty. I will think of her. I wonder, will she think of me?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:30 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 1
Poignant; reminds me of the old lady and the reporter in _Dandelion Wine_.

Sue: We don't talk about things like that right after, you know that, no saying those things in The Moment.
Kim: (moves the hand aside) Screw The Moment. I *love* you.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:59 am 
3. Flaming O

DaddyCatAlso

Wow - I reminded you of something Bradbury wrote? That is a huge compliment. I'm tingling! :eatme

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:05 am 
3. Flaming O

New Shoes - Paolo Nutini

Willow’s Story

Why did I do it? Again. This’ll be my sixth – no, seventh time. I couldn’t resist them, no way. No way. They were calling to me. Screaming, actually. Christian Louboutin, cherry-red with six-inch heels. They were meant for me, and they were so nearly mine. Now they sit on the saleswoman’s desk. I could reach out and touch them. What do I have to look forward to now? Here comes the cop car. I can’t bear to look.

‘Hey now, maybe we can work this out,’ the voice says.

I look up. The name on the patrolwoman’s badge reads ‘Maclay’.

New Shoes - Paolo Nutini

Tara’s Story

She slams the door of the patrol car. Why do I always get the damned shoplifters? It’s hot, she’s hungry, and now she will miss lunch. She enters the store. It’s not like these guys can’t afford to lose a pair of shoes once in a while, she thinks, noting the exclusive brands. She nods to the saleswoman who gives her a Botox smile. She looks at the would-be thief. A moment passes. You don’t look like a bad girl, she thinks. You’re just lost. But now I’ve found you.

‘Hey now, maybe we can work this out,’ she says.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:37 pm 

So, I linked someone to my massive combined post, and realized that I had failed to respond to nice things people said to me and to say my own nice things to Viv.

Bad me.

Ahem.

@DaddyCatAlso
I'm glad you enjoyed these, even if you didn't know the songs. As I mentioned . . . um, somewhere in that very long mess . . . my knowledge of these songs going in was very low. Like, I knew the Pink Floyd. Interestingly, I think that contains one of my least favorite drabbles.

@Agilulfa
#1: I'm glad you found the collection useful. I know I hate the feeling I might have missed something, and then have to go digging for something that may or may not exist. I liked the collection, too. I know I've read through it several times. It makes me smile. And unlike a lot of what I've written, I haven't spent so much time staring at these that rereading makes my eyes bleed.
#2: I miss writing these every day. I think when I get my new laptop I'll make myself write these again. Like, use Pandora or Grooveshark or the radio to come up with a song, and then give myself twenty minutes to write a few. Particularly since my shorts thread has gone woefully empty in so long . . . bad me.
#3: You know, I didn't actually get drabbles until I did this. I mean, I like short stories and vignettes, but I didn't understand drabbles. But it's amazing, when you sit down and do this sort of thing, how much of a story you can tell about a moment.

On a side note, let me say I love the Calvin and Hobbes avatar. I have the complete C&H collection. It makes me happy.

@JustSkipIt
I'm so glad you enjoyed these. It means a lot to me. My long form writing now goes through . . . three other people before I post it. My rewrites are all unedited, but that's the point. But yeah, posting so much sans editor was so weird. Very exposed. So I'm very glad that they overall came out so well.

RE: WfD: You know, when I was in high school, I had friends who worked late night or overnight at copy stores. WfD makes me very upset that I no longer have access to that, because I would totally print the story out and bind it so I could have a physical copy. Anyway, I happened to have just reread it, like, two days before I had that song. And when I came up with the idea of doing the three drabbles for the song as different interpretations of "don't touch my girl" from NMR, it was awesome and cool butthen as I hit "post," the image of the party for Tara and Dani's presentation popped into my head and I just felt like, crap, that would be perfect. I mean, seriously, how many times does the phrase "my girl" appear in WfD?

Hmm, that's a good question. Let me check.

162. 162 times.

So you would think that in a song that uses that phrase over and over again, my first thought would have been WfD.

Did I mention I really love that story, and that I've got my fingers crossed that I can eventually con you into writing Willow's Marks (or whatever you call the sequel)? And if that's not gonna happen, I have questions for you about what's going on in Willow's head.

Anyway. Asher's contests sound hilarious. I imagine that by now he's onto something else by now, but still. Awesomesauce.

@Viv,
Your drabbles were awesome. I'm sorry I didn't respond right away. My bad.

What I love about "Time Slip" is that it captures so much about what I love about drabbles: the idea that a single moment can be really powerful. I think the only thing I would change would be to shift the line "She was perhaps twenty" a bit down, so it read " I am sixty. She was perhaps twenty." I think putting their ages next to each other would highlight the contrast a bit.

The "Willow's Story" / "Tara's Story" pair made me laugh, because in the second Rosenberg Files/On Dangerous Ground story, Tara is a cop and totally flips out when she finds out that Willow did some major hacking back in the day. So, totally unrelated to you.

I hope you don't feel like you killed the thread or anything. Totally ended it on a high note.

Kate

P.S. For the interested, I'm going on the record as saying I expect a QoH update before Christmas.