The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RKT presents "Sing A Song of Christmas"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:32 am 
19. Yummy Face

[center]Image[/center]
[br]Well, Kittens, another year has gone by. It seems like just yesterday we were finishing up Elemental and getting ready for Once More With Fruitcake. My goodness, how time flies.

Now the time has come for another Holiday series – and I say that as if I just know you have all been waiting by your computers, holding your breath, for this next offering. Perhaps some of you have been; but most likely, you’ve been going about your lives without giving a series of holiday stories a second thought. Either way, our little group is back with more holiday spirit.

Here are some of the things this particular series is not:
  1. A challenge.
  2. A grocery list.
  3. Spike/Xander fanfic (ugh)
  4. Songfics (despite the title)
  5. A guide to enriching uranium
  6. An update for Coming Back
  7. Hellebore II
  8. A guide to unenriching uranium
  9. Naked!Scoobies 2007 calendar
  10. Naked!RKT 2007 calendar
We kept it very simple this year – basically only two “requirements”. First, the titles and themes of the stories had to relate specifically to a holiday song. Secondly, each story had to mention snow somewhere in the fic. That’s it. Nothing fancy. No picking things from virtual hats, no requirements for rating. Just “pick a holiday song and use that as your theme (however you see fit) and mention snow.”

So, when can you expect to see these jolly stories? Excellent question. Our beloved (and slightly anal) watty has thrown together a happy little spreadsheet/graphic that highlights the posting schedule for this particular series. This is what she does in between work, dealing with me being a goober, organizing group chats and tasks, writing her NaNo story, and being an all around swell person. Take a look:

[center]Image[/center]
So there you go, Kittens…we hope you will check in on the dates shown above to read and enjoy what these great authors have put together for you. They've worked hard, that's for sure. As always, feedback is greatly appreciated and highly encouraged.

Grab some egg nog, hang your stockings by the fire, put on a little Bing Crosby singing "White Christmas"...and enjoy Sing a Song of Christmas...brought to you humbly by

[center]Image[/center]

Frivolous Views

Last edited by GayNow on Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: RKT presents "Sing A Song of Christmas"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:47 am 
21. Geek Infested Roots

Topics: 1
Carleen, I think I speak for everyone when I say...

ROCK ON! :party

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:40 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

damn effin right rock on!!! all those amazing authors.. :thud my christmas is complete..

THANKYOU

:laugh

<3 Bell MERRY CHRISTMAS/OTHER SEASONAL HOLIDAY! :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:49 am 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Car wrote:

Damn!!

Quote:
7. Hellebore II

Damn!!!

Quote:
9. Naked!Scoobies 2007 calendar

Damn!!!! (Hey, Willow and Tara are Scoobies!)

Quote:

DAMN!!!!!

All kidding aside... can't wait to read the fics! Thanks for this new project, guys

And... Gemellina, you're in trouble!

Last edited by Spighy on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:31 am 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

I think I may need to :miff take offence that I'm only slightly anal, what happened to full hog anality? :P

It's always a pleasure to bring new stories to our readers, I hope you enjoy them.
[br]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:29 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Spighy wrote:
Car wrote:

Damn!!

And double damn.

At least there will be lovely tales to hold we kittens over. Thank you to all the writers for this holiday gift. I'm humming festive tunes already.

Michelle

Last edited by mole on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:17 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Val wrote:
Car wrote:

DAMN!!!!!

yeah! damn!

to be honest, i was one of those waiting impatiently all year for another series , and look at me! i'm so late saying that i'm SO EXCITED! WOOT!

and a spreadsheet! i'm starting to love those this one is so pretty, all with the red, and the highlighting, and stuff! oh yeah and watty did it that's always a plus

i can't wait for the first story....and hey! 2 updates a week! that's AWSOME!

*happy sigh*

this Christmas is gonna be gooood!

"When you get excited about something, one might imagine you as a small, maniacally grinning rubber ball, which someone throws at the wall in an enclosed room, and goes bouncing off every surface for about 15 minutes."
- Mudrat

Last edited by Thianne on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:39 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Deck the halls with boughs of ... WOO HOO!!!!

Cheers,
Paul.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:45 pm 
8. Vixen

little one wrote:
and a spreadsheet! i'm starting to love those heart this one is so pretty, all with the red, and the highlighting, and stuff!

Yikes, I see some shade of pink, but no red. God! Does this mean I'm suffering from some weird form of daltonism? At least I'm still able to see the white.

YAY FOR CHRISTMAS STORIES!!!

Last edited by Kaia on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:36 pm 
9. Gay Now

[center]Image[/center]
[br]

Sleigh Ride
by tarawhipped
Rated PG
All characters are the property of Joss Whedon/Mutant Enemy

Note: This is set in the Green Eyed Red universe, several months after the events of that (unfinished—bad me!) fic. It is not necessary to have read GER to follow this, but for those unfamiliar with the story, it takes place in Nebraska circa 1867. Willow—who may or may not be a dangerous criminal—arrived in Dusty Hollow disguised as a young man, where she and Tara fall for each other. But since this is later, you can assume that GER ended with lollipops and puppies all around.

Thanks as always to the RKT team, and Happy Holidays to the entire Kitten Community.

A mass of revelers spilled out of the Summers’ barn, festively decorated for Xander and Anya’s wedding. The boisterous group cheered gaily at the snow, which had been falling for the better part of the day, depositing a fresh blanket of downy white over the already existing layers and providing ample insulation from the usually harsh prairie winds. Parents called to their children, who lobbed their final snowballs at one another before joining their families.[br]
As the crowd began to disperse for the night the bride hugged them all, while the groom enthusiastically shook hands with each and every person. Willow laughed at the sight of the town’s new minister, finally managing to yank his hand away from Xander’s clasp. The redhead turned to see Tara gazing at her wistfully and ambled over to her love’s side.[br]
“They did it!”[br]
“Did you think they wouldn’t?” Tara laughed.[br]
“No, of course not,” Willow replied quickly, “but I think Xander had his doubts. He seems to be a little in shock.”[br]
The pair again looked at the groom, who had an enormous smile plastered to his beaming face, his eyes wide and unblinking. He pumped Dawn’s arm heartily, not noticing the pained expression on the girl’s face.[br]
“Do you think Donnie will be that bad?” Willow asked.[br]
Tara followed the redhead’s gaze to her brother, who stood with Larry, Clem and Hank, the latter three clapping him on the back and giving an occasional hoot. Donnie himself shifted on his feet and pulled at his rumpled collar, giving the impression of a fidgety child at church. His face was flushed, which may have been from the chill night air, but Tara knew it wasn’t entirely.[br]
She smiled as she caught her brother’s eyes, but it was only for a moment before his were again darting to where Faith stood conversing with Anya and a group of women. The daughter of the former mayor of Dusty Hollow, widow of the town’s former sheriff, clutched the bridal bouquet in both hands. She had yet to relinquish it since deftly shouldering Buffy aside to snatch it in mid air. Buffy herself still eyed the prize jealously, although the intrepid Lieutenant Finn, lingering nearby, seemed vaguely relieved.[br]
“Yoo hoo!” Anya called out, silencing the various conversations and drawing all eyes to her. “Xander and I have a train to catch, so if anyone has any last minute gifts, you may present them now.”[br]
After a final round of congratulations and well wishes, Xander helped Anya into their waiting sleigh, which had been festively decorated with pine garlands dotted with holly berries. The bells attached to the horse collar jingled merrily as they set out for the train station. The remaining guests waved their goodbyes to the Summers family and hastened to their own sleds and skids, similarly decorated for the occasion, and departed toward their respective homes.[br]
Tara climbed into Willow’s sleigh, a small open-sided two-seater with a high rounded back and cushioned leather seat. The sleigh, a gift from the townspeople, was painted a cheerful bright red and had fondly been nicknamed ‘the Red Bandit,’ much to Tara’s dismay at the reference to Willow’s unsavory past. Even though Willow was now respectably working as Xander’s apprentice in his carpentry business, her infamous history seemed to be growing ever more intriguing to the local population.[br]
Several newspapers and publishers of dime novels had even offered to publish her tales, under a pseudonym of course, and Tara knew the idea appealed to her mischievous lover. Despite Willow’s apparent contentment with her newfound settled life, Tara feared it was only a matter of time before the allure of the trail again called to the redhead. In the calm of the previous several months, they had never once spoken of the future. Until that inevitable day came, however, Tara was going to cherish every moment they had together.[br]
Willow took her seat and snuggled close to Tara, who draped a heavy gray woolen blanket over their legs, leaning across the redhead, ostensibly to tuck the blanket around her hips but taking advantage of their positions to steal a kiss, which became several before Willow drew back and reached for the reins. Tara furrowed her brow at her love’s reticence, but before she could voice her puzzlement, Willow smiled warmly.[br]
“I want to take you someplace, and if we keep kissing, we’ll end up sitting here all night, which sounds really good, except that we’d probably end up buried under a big ol’ pile of snow and freezing to death with our lips stuck together, and while that sounds nice and all, the lip part, not the—”[br]
Tara kissed Willow again, firmly silencing the wagging tongue with her own. Willow sighed happily and gave a lazy shake of the reins.[br]
“Giddyup, Miss Horsey,” she slurred, drunk on Tara. The horse bobbed its head and set off at a trot, the bells around its neck jangling out a cheery melody.[br]
Tara lay her head on Willow’s shoulder and pulled one of Willow’s hands onto her lap, where she clasped it between her own. Their ride took them through the sparse forest, which glowed a silvery blue in the bright moonlight. Heavily laden tree limbs dipped down toward the earth on either side of the road, forming a tunnel of snow. Only the sound of the bells broke the stillness of the evening as they glided towards town. Tara let her eyes drift closed in contentment and found herself nodding off, lulled by motion of the sleigh. The shrill whine of a train whistle signaling its departure from the Dusty Hollow station broke her reverie, and she opened her eyes just in time to see them passing through town without stopping. She sat up and craned her neck to see the saloon disappear behind them.[br]
“Willow? Where are we going?”[br]
“Farmer Gray’s. There’s a birthday party. But not one with hats.”[br]
Tara blinked several times and shook her head. Having become accustomed to the redhead’s nonsensical sleep-babble, she briefly wondered if Willow had fallen asleep while driving, but even as the thought crossed her mind, she noticed green eyes sparkling at her playfully.[br]
“We don’t know a Farmer Gray,” she replied, yawning and laying her head back down, her heavy lidded eyes watching the landscape fly by as Willow urged Miss Horsey on faster.[br]
Willow laughed softly and squeezed their joined hands before letting go to steer the sleigh north, past the site where the mayor’s mansion had previously stood; where Donnie and Faith’s half-finished future home was now rising in its place. They continued on for another mile, turning again just past the grove of trees that hid Tara’s favorite place in town. The blonde smiled at the thought of the pond, and of her first time sharing it with Willow several months prior, when the weather was still warm enough in the daytime to swim. The pond was not large, and would be frozen solid now.[br]
“Are we going skating?” she asked.[br]
“Nope.”[br]
“Ice fishing?”[br]
“Nope.”[br]
“Bear hunting?”[br]
“No!” Willow laughed.[br]
Tara grinned into Willow’s neck and draped an arm across the redhead’s lap, her hand squeezing the slim hip and snuggling closer. The snowfall had dwindled over the course of their trip, finally ceasing altogether. They slowed as they reentered a sparse wood, the road barely wide enough for the small sleigh. Despite their proximity to the pond, Tara rarely ventured past it, and she curiously looked around at the unfamiliar scenery. A few minutes later they entered a clearing, and her eyes widened in wonder.[br]
The circular area, seventy-five or so feet in diameter, seemed carved out of the forest. Ponderosa pines thick with snow soared up over a hundred feet tall, and Tara’s eyes followed them up to where the clouds had parted. Their tips formed a halo through which they could see the moon and stars shining brightly down on them. With the sleigh stopped there was utter silence, and Tara felt an overwhelming spiritual presence, as though entering the most magnificent cathedral. Her eyes misted at the magical beauty of the place, and wildly sought out Willow’s to see if they held the same awe.[br]
Willow had slipped out of the sleigh and walked to the center of the clearing, where she turned to face Tara.[br]
“I thought the house would go right about here,” she said, pointing a little to one side. “Nothing too fancy to start, but Xander’s gonna help me build it come spring, and Faith already offered us some of the stuff they salvaged from the mansion. She mentioned something about a parlor stove, though I don’t know if we’ll even have a parlor. I guess we could put it in the bedroom and call it a bedroom stove—not to be confused with a cook stove, though she said we can have one of those too.”[br]
Willow became increasingly flustered when Tara sat motionless in the sleigh, staring at her and saying nothing.[br]
“Over there we can build a barn for Miss Horsey and Doll…and more if you want, but we can always add on later…to the house too. And there’s plenty of land closer to the pond for a garden, but I thought we could grow some herbs over here maybe?”[br]
Tara stood up, letting the blanket fall in a heap at her feet, and stepped out of the sleigh. When she neared Willow, the redhead could see unshed tears shimmering in her eyes.[br]
“Oh God, Tara, I’m sorry! I know we already have a home, and I should have asked what you wanted first. I didn’t think—”[br]
Willow got no farther in her apology before Tara threw herself into her love’s arms, toppling them over. The redhead lay on her back, barely noticing the snow slipping down the collar of her shirt as she met Tara’s frenzied kiss with equal passion.[br]
“I love you, Willow, I love you so much,” the blonde murmured, hugging Willow fiercely and repeating her entreaty amid a continuing assault of kisses.[br]
After many minutes they lay side-by-side, looking up at the stars.[br]
“I want a big kitchen,” Tara said happily.[br]
“Then you shall have one,” Willow stated.[br]
“Big enough to make Christmas dinner for everyone next year?”[br]
“You will have the biggest kitchen in Dusty Hollow,” Willow agreed. “It’ll be so big you can fit a whole herd of cows in there.”[br]
“Hmm,” Tara mused. “Maybe not that big. But big enough to cook an enormous turkey and lots of yams and green beans and still have space for canning and—”[br]
“What about the pie?” Willow asked, leaning up on one elbow to pout at Tara. “There has to be pie.”[br]
“There will be,” Tara concurred, pulling Willow down to nestle in the crook of her arm. “Apple pie, mincemeat pie, wild blueberry pie—”[br]
“Pumpkin! I want a pumpkin pie…and coffee! Lots and lots of coffee.”[br]
“Of course. I wouldn’t think of serving you pie without coffee.”[br]
“And we’ll hang stockings by the fire and roast chestnuts—”[br]
“We could have a kitten!” Tara exclaimed.[br]
“A kitten, a dog, a camel…whatever you want,” Willow grinned at Tara’s exuberance. “The Summers’ barn cat has a litter every year; I’m sure they’d give us one. We could name her…Miss Kitty.”[br]
Miss Horsey neighed loudly and shook her head, causing both women to burst out laughing. They reluctantly left their bed of snow and climbed back into the sleigh, wrapping themselves in the blanket and each other’s arms. Willow steered carefully back down the lane, but before she could direct them towards town, Tara laid a hand on Willow’s, stilling the reins.[br]
“Let’s not go back just yet. It’s a beautiful night for a drive.”[br]
Willow nodded her understanding, and twin smiles spread from cheek to rosy cheek as she snapped the reins and they set out over the open plains, following the moon and their own desires. They had all the time in the world for sleeping, but the dreams they shared as they traversed the pristine snow were all the ones they would make come true.[br]
Together.[br][br][br]
The End
[br]
[center]Image[/center]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:51 pm 
21. Geek Infested Roots

Ooh! DIBS!

ETA: Wow, Cam. I'm impressed. I'm vaguely familiar with the Green Eyed Red (it's one of the many, many, many, many fics I've printed off and never found the time to read fully), but what I love about this is the fact that you've managed to give people who never have a basic understanding of what's going on, even if they've never read it before (though I must say that it's kinda spoiler-ish to say that Willow becomes good...unless she became good in the part that's written...)

And I love the setting: wild west in winter (heh, say that three times fast). I'm glad to see you writing, and I hope to see more stuff from you in the future. (And yeah, I know this fb is kinda pithy. I usually don't fb fics until I print it off from Looking-glass or Muse, but I got the DIBS, so I better do something with them before someone else posts. Maybe tomorrow when I read it, or whenever Chris puts it up, I'll come back and leave more detailed fb.)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:14 pm 
19. Yummy Face

Ah, Cam. I'm so glad we got to experience some more GER goodness -- even if the story isn't finished yet. (It will be someday, right?)

As always, you've manged to write a compact story that leaves the reader satisfied and content. This is really a rather short story -- a mere 4 pages long. But it packs so much information and we know and learn so much about what is going on. And, of course, you always manage to capture the W/T relationship so beautifully.

Really well done, Cam. A wonderful start to the series. You're awesome, man!

Car

P.S. Aren't ya glad I didn't do a square dance for feedback? :-P

Frivolous Views

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:32 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Cam
It is so nice to visit the world of GER once again, and this is a lovely interlude. It was clear from the start of GER that they had a Happy Ever After, so this isn't exactly spoilery, but it would be so good :pray to find out just how they overcame the evil Mayor and his dastardly minion, Sheriff Meers.

Car
What a lovely idea this series is. It's sorta like our own Advent Calendar (I've no idea when they start), but instead of chocolates or little pictures, we get W&T Christmas Joy!

Thanks to both of you, and to all the authors preparing our treats.
Anne

Every path has its puddle. Old English Saying... I think I just stepped in mine...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:36 am 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

As in years past, I look forward to being suitably entertained and aroused by tales of Yuletide Kitten Cheer and Willow/Tara in a toss-up over their place on the naughty or nice lists.
Me, I'm rooting for naughty.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:39 am 
30. Sweaty and Kinda Gay

Teehee! That was abosolutely awesome, Cam! I love little "go between" fics! *claps hands* WOO HOO and Xander and Anya got married! That was sweet. :blush

I love your writing, sweetie! ROCK ON!

xoxo
Emms

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:24 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Cam - I feel like this adorable little sleigh ride is a perfect story both because it's a tease to unfinished GER and because it's the starter for this series. As the tease, it serves to let the reader know the required and only the required information about that story and what happened. What do we know now? Well Tara and Willow are together and Tara knows Willow is Willow. Faith and Donnie together and well. Xander and Anya together and well. And all the bad guys are gone with promises of blue skys and clear sailing (ok, bad metaphor there). But not the how did that happen? I love that.

Their journey to see their future home site is adorable and reminicent to me of the scene in Coal Miners Daughter. "I just don't want the bedroom in the front of the house" (approximately). Ha ha. Fantastic start.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:04 am 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Cam! that was so sweet! the whole thing, but especially int the forest.....with all their dreams for the house.....aaaaaaaaawwwwwwww! now i feel all warm and fuzzy! *happy sigh*

"When you get excited about something, one might imagine you as a small, maniacally grinning rubber ball, which someone throws at the wall in an enclosed room, and goes bouncing off every surface for about 15 minutes."
- Mudrat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:20 am 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

We have some outstanding fics here and I get especially excited when the author uses the short story format to explore the universe further. It gives the whole reading experience more depth. Of course this Christmas story cements the happy ending that will surely arrive (one day ... when? :impatient ) at the end of GER. Some references have me intrigued too -- like Debra said it's subtle advertisement for the main story. How can anyone who read Sleigh Ride not want to go read GER? Like, now. And what an excuse to bug you for an update! :P

I chuckled at Faith and Buffy fighting over the bridal bouquet, who would've thought ... those two. It was telling, that Tara was quietly resigned to having to deal (eventually) with Willow's wanderlust when Willow herself was making plans to settle down. Love how easily they communicated with each other, like an old married couple already ... no need to fight anyone for the bridal bouquet.

A heart-warming story to start our Holiday series. :clap oh, and I didn't notice the lack of smut, the story as it stands gives me enough warm and fuzzies already.
[br]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:43 am 
4. Extra Flamey

watty wrote:
How can anyone who read Sleigh Ride not want to go read GER? Like, now. And what an excuse to bug you for an update!

No kidding. I'm looking forward to delving deeper into this world. From what I can tell about GER, it reminds me a bit of an old Stoner McTavish story. Gender bending and love in the Old West - what fun:)

What struck me most about this short tale was the descriptive language. I was cold and could feel the snowflakes on my head, feel the wind whistling by as Miss Horsey carried Willow and Tara to the site of their new home. Really well done.

Michelle

Last edited by mole on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:22 am 
17. Mega-Witches

Yay Cam! I always knew that Willow and Tara would end up together in GER, and this story proves it. I also like how Tara had feared that Willow would get wanderlust again but hadn't talked to her about it. I swear, all the relationship problems in the world seem to happen when people decide not to bring things up. Although I'm sure we all do it.

This was very sweet and I really love how the townspeople called their sleigh the "Red Bandit" and also how it started with Anya and Xander's wedding! Mazel tov.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:19 am 
23. Volumey Text

Firstly I love the fact that Car used the phrase jolly stories in the intro :peace

This is a really good story. Not only is it a good start to the series it's also a very good epilogue to GER (once that's finished)

In a short story like this the descriptive passages are the most important bit and yours are spot on.

I'll be looking forward to the next in the series.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:48 pm 
8. Vixen

What a sweet story, Cam. The whole imagining the house really made my heart melt. :luv
Of course, I haven't read GER yet...but I'm going to. Not right now 'cause it's 1.45 am, but I will.
Great start for the series. Can't wait for the next installment.

K.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:27 am 
18. Breast Gal

Topics: 4
tarawhipped wrote:
But since this is later, you can assume that GER ended with lollipops and puppies all around.

So that's what Willow had in her wagon! Lollipops and puppies, it all makes sense now.

That was really sweet, and quite emotional too. I liked how it was an intermediate stage, it seemed, between the only-just-figuring-it-out Willow and Tara of GER's main story time, and the very-much-together Willow and Tara we get glimpses of in the narration sections. This is a Willow and Tara who are really coming together, but still realising just how together they are - Tara still reluctant to ask Willow to stay full-time, preferring to just accept what she thinks is her lot, having Willow as long as Willow stays, and Willow still not quite reading Tara right, not realising how elated she was until she got kissed within an inch of her life

The hints at GER's resolution were very well-gauged - not too little, not too much. I'm very pleased to learn that Faith's a widow, and the fact that there's rebuilding going on on the former site of the Pesky Posse's mansion leads me to think there'll be a quite enjoyable demolition of said mansion somewhere to look forward to

And lastly, I'm no expert on the west - heck, never been there - but you evoked something that I associate with it, the frontier and the sense of open, unexplored space. The way Willow proposed her future with Tara, going to such a lovely, untouched spot, and describing how they'll build a home there - I felt an echo of that pioneer kind of mood, the idea that they're making their little bit of civilisation out in a big, big country.

So, (I know I'm awful for doing the same thing, but) now that we've had a taste of GER in this short story, can we hope for more of the real thing sometime not too far down the line?

Last edited by Artemis on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:24 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Cam,
From lollipops and puppies to a to the tinkling of sleigh bells as the Frontier Willow and Tara make plans for their life together.
The Hundred Acre Wood has nothing on the clearing that Willow brought Tara to and giddily laid her plans for architectural snuggliness.
Oh, to be riding under a blanket in a sleigh with Tara and lots of opportunities for under the blanket finger wandering.
Things change but Tara will always have some degree of insecurity about Willow's being tempted by the old number by The Clash:"Should I Stay or Should I Go?"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:54 am 
17. Mega-Witches

[center]Image[/center]

[center]I'll Be Home for Christmas
by SallyMcFine
Rated PG
Disclaimer: All of these characters are property of Joss Whedon/Mutant Enemy

Thanks a million bajillion gazillion to all the RKTers, and Happy Holidays to all the Kittens.[/center]

[hr]

Willow eased herself out of the chair she had been sitting in for the better part of an hour. She moved slowly. At 76, her bones and joints were less limber than they had been at 60, or even 70. The herbs and minor spells she did helped somewhat, as did her arthritis medication, but nothing could turn back time and reverse the effects of aging completely - not even magic.

A nurse knocked on the door, and opened it. "Ms. Rosenberg? It's just about time, dear."

Willow smiled at the nurse. "Thank you, Louise. I'll be there shortly."

Louise smiled back and left the door open, moving down the hall to the next resident's room.

All in all, Willow liked the nursing home. Though nothing could replace the home she had had with Tara, she was comfortable here. She and Tara had moved in and occupied a room together four years ago when Tara's rapidly advancing arthritis had necessitated that she have more help than Willow was able to provide alone. For a while the home had seemed almost like a return to college - albeit with students who had white hair and walked with canes or walkers - when their friends Buffy, Xander, and Anya had moved in.

They all had different reasons for moving into the nursing home. Buffy, ever the athlete though she had long left her Slayer duties behind, had broken her hip three years ago while on her daily walk trying to scale a fence. During her convalescence at the home, she had appreciated the social activities and her proximity to Willow and Tara so much that she had sold her condominium and moved in permanently. Weight gain had finally caught up to Xander and he had developed a case of Type II diabetes over the last several years. His failing eyesight and fear of a third heart attack meant that he needed constant care. And his wife, Anya, had a progressive case of Alzheimer's disease and needed as much or more help. They occupied a double suite for married couples in the assisted care wing.

Willow looked around her room as she slowly put on her slippers and a cardigan. This room was smaller than the suite she and Tara had shared - after Tara's death earlier that year, just days after Valentine's Day, she had moved into a single room. She didn't need all the space for herself.

Her friends had been concerned about her, treating her gingerly and fearing that she would be overcome by grief - except for Anya, who most of the time thought Tara was still alive. Willow had grieved mightily, and still did. Part of her would always feel a huge hole in her heart from her wife's absence, it was true, but on the other hand, Tara had been in a huge amount of pain for the last months of her life, and Willow was truly glad that Tara wasn't suffering daily anymore. They would be together soon; Willow had no doubt of that. Besides, she knew something that the others didn't know.

Her knobby hands slowly did up the last button on her cardigan, and she moved out the door and into the hallway, heading for the common room.

As she made her way down the hall, she saw the group of young people from the local high school that had come to play for the nursing home residents on Christmas Eve. They were gathered in a semicircle and looked well-groomed and clean-cut in blazers and khaki pants. Willow smiled to herself; she knew that they students were probably much more comfortable in jeans and T-shirts, as she had been at that age. It was nice that they had made the effort tonight.

Willow seated herself on a sectional sofa between Buffy, who looked up from her knitting and smiled a greeting, and Xander, who was sitting near the bend in the sofa holding Anya's hand. His cane leaned up against the coffee table.

Anya peered around Xander's belly and said "Willow, where is Tara?"

Xander patted her hand. "Hon, Tara died in February - remember?"

Anya frowned. "Nonsense. Tara was at lunch earlier, sitting next to Willow. I saw her."

Buffy leaned forward. "That was me, Anya."

"Oh, of course," Anya said, but she looked confused nonetheless.

Willow spoke up. "It's okay, Anya - I like to think that Tara's still around, and that sometimes I see her too."

Anya relaxed and smiled. "Well, finally someone here who has some sense."

The Activities Director cleared her throat at the front of the room. "Good evening, everyone. Tonight we're welcoming students from the Sunnydale High School band, who are going to play some holiday songs for us." She gave the room a broad smile, which was returned by some of the residents, while others just stared into space.

A dozen high school students stood at the front of the room, holding a variety of instruments - flutes, piccolos, clarinets, and one student with an oboe. There was also a band director with them, who raised his hand and counted off the time. They started off with a rousing rendition of "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus."

Anya raised her voice to be heard above the din. "Santa Claus doesn't really exist. He's just a myth based on a vengeance demon named Saladin Klaaz who wreaked vengeance on all the husbands who didn't buy presents for their wives."

"I know, An," Xander said, pulling her close and kissing her cheek.

Willow leaned back into the couch, enjoying the music. Despite a few missed notes here and there, the band was good. The high-pitched piccolo meshed well with the clarinet's more mellow sound, while the flute provided a nice bridge between the two. The oboe's notes wove in and out of all the other instruments, providing a pensive note that mirrored Willow's thoughts.

It was times like this that Tara's absence nipped at her consciousness. Though she was surrounded by friends and she had come to acceptance, she still felt Tara's absence achingly - especially since it was the first holiday season she had spent alone. After a lifetime spent together, it was still strange for her to have a thought, turn to share it with Tara, and then remember that she was gone. It was worst at night when she lay in her narrow single bed, covered by layers of blankets but unable to feel truly warm. And when she was asleep, Tara was always in her dreams.

Such were her thoughts as the high school band played through a variety of Christmas, Hannukah, and other holiday-themed tunes. Willow looked around the room at the other occupants. Some were paying close attention, while others barely seemed to notice that there was a concert going on. A few were asleep. Buffy kept knitting steadily, bobbing her needles in time with the rhythm. Xander was paying close attention to the players, while Anya seemed to have drifted away for the moment, lost in her memories.

Willow paid particular attention as the band started a new number.

[blockquote]I'll be home for Christmas
You can count on me
Please have snow and mistletoe
And presents on the tree

Christmas Eve will find me
Where the love-light gleams
I'll be home for Christmas
If only in my dreams
[/blockquote]
The melancholy lyrics and the dreamy notes merged lulled Willow into a reverie until she glanced at her watch. It was just after sunset, and twilight was fast approaching. Soon it would be dusk. She stood up abruptly - which wasn't actually very abrupt given her stiff joints.

"I'm going to bed," she told her friends.

"But the concert isn't even over," Buffy protested. "You haven't eaten any dinner!"

"Tell Tara I said hi," Anya said. Xander put an arm around her and murmured quiet shushing words into her ear.

"Night, Will," he said over his shoulder before turning his attention back to Anya.

She gave them a tiny smile and a wave as she carefully walked around the couch and into the hallway. She knew that her friends, Buffy in particular, were worried about her and refused to fully believe that she was okay despite her protestations. Buffy was always trying to make her commit to activities and to jolly her out of her pensive moods, certain that her quiet sadness was indicative of a deeper depression. Leaving the concert early tonight would certainly spur Buffy to pester her to join the community bridge club or go for a walk tomorrow, but it wasn't grief or loneliness that had made her get up to leave.

She just didn't want to be late.

She hastened down the hall, trying hard to pick her feet up from the shuffling pace that was her normal gait these days. She reached her room and turned the door handle. The dark room was lit in the middle by a small glow that grew in intensity as she entered the room.

Willow felt a wave of relief wash over her. She had believed, but there was some tiny part of her that was afraid that it wouldn't happen. That the Powers would have forgotten the promise they made to her so long ago, back when she was young and helped to save the world - that if she and Tara were ever separated by death, they could see each other once a year until they were reunited.

And it was Christmas Eve that Tara would come to her.

She had kept this knowledge to herself along with her secret fear that the Powers would forget. She wasn't sure she would be able to bear the disappointment coupled with everyone else's sympathy.

But there was no need for disappointment - even as she watched, the glow grew stronger and brighter. It became almost too bright to look at, and a shape coalesced. As the figure in the middle gained form and definition, the light faded away until standing in front of Willow was a very alive and youthful Tara, exactly as she had appeared in her 20's.

Tara gave her a bright smile and her eyes sparkled with excitement. Willow started to go to her, her heart hammering away in her chest, but stopped, suddenly self-conscious about her thin, old body and arthritic hands and the comparison to Tara's youth and vibrancy. Truth be told, she was somewhat taken aback by Tara's appearing as a young woman instead of as Willow had last seen her. She wondered, was this really Tara? Were the Powers trying to placate her with an approximation?

Tara seemed to understand and she took a step forward to grasp Willow's hands.

"It's okay, Willow - just hold on."

Willow's hands thrilled to the touch that had so long been absent. As she held Tara's hands and gazed into her blue eyes, she felt the years slipping away from her. The ache in her hands lessened until it was gone. She felt the wrinkled skin on her face tighten up and smooth out. Most of all, she felt a sense of...vitality coursing through her veins.

Willow suddenly threw her arms around Tara, overcome.

"I missed you so much," she finally managed to choke out.

"Baby, I did too," Tara said, rubbing her back in a soothing manner.

Willow pulled back, still clinging to Tara but searching into her eyes for reassurance. "But my body...how..." she trailed off.

"A parting gift from the Powers," Tara said. She grinned. "It's temporary, so tomorrow you'll be back to your normal self. But I think they figured if they were giving us a night together that we should be able to enjoy it to the fullest."

The mischievous grin that the blonde gave her was all Tara, and Willow felt the last vestige of doubt leave her. It was replaced by love, happiness, and a sense of gratitude.

"Merry Christmas," Tara added.

"Merry Christmas," Willow replied, just an instant before Tara's lips covered hers.

THE END

[center]Image[/center]

Last edited by FineyMcFine on Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:10 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Dibs

ETA: Sally, this story is very very beautiful but also so very heart-wrenching. It's not just that Willow's there and Tara is not (my saddest type story) but they all seem so... I don't know. I have this real fear about growing old myself which I guess is pretty stupid since it's better than the alternative. You do a good job of describing the perils of ageing without hammering us over the head with the minutae.

Curious that the PTB are sending Tara on Christmas. I mean it's a nice holiday but Willow's Jewish/Pagan so that's a little wierd. Actually, Easter would make more sense. Still, I guess RKT isn't doing an Easter series so here we are. I love the beauty of the longing and the brevity of their time together here. It would have felt so out of place to have read this NC-17 so I'm glad you stopped where you did. Quite perfect.

Last edited by JustSkipIt on Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:10 am 
19. Yummy Face

Sally!

You made me cry, dude! And with this cold I have, that's **really** not a pretty sight!

This really was quite beautiful -- and so dead on, in my opinion. I think you "got" each of the Scoobies perfectly. I love the way you are able to infuse just that touch of humor into everything -- Buffy climbing a fence, indeed. ;)

Again, Sallypants, really wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing with us.

Can't wait to read more stories.

Carleen

Frivolous Views

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:48 am 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

I had to refrain from gushing about this story when I was lucky enough to have a sneak peek. Both gushing in praise and gushing in tears. Your story gave me lumps in my throat and little damp patches in my eyes. It was very moving, oh so poignant and a perfect fit for your chosen song. What's so masterful about it is your control. This could have been a sappy sugary heartstring yanking story, and though I like saccharine-filled fics as much as all the kittens, I was glad you didn't over-sentimentalized this and kept it tight.

Though Willow was so very sad about Tara's passing, I feel that they've had a wonderful life together and no regrets, which, at the end of the day, is the most any of us can wish for. That she, Tara, Buffy, Xander and Anya had moved into the same home was really very touching ... that they stuck together over 50+ years is a testament to their loyalty toward each other.

Throughout the beginning of the story, even before we knew about the TPTB promise, I had a sense of hope.
Quote:
She just didn't want to be late.

If a 76 year old with arthritis needed speedy gonzales, this is the time. I did get the sense of urgency and anticipation from this. I'm so glad TPTB kept their promise, otherwise it would have been devastating.

Yes, it made me all emotional and teary, but in a good way. Thank you for this touching addition to our series. :clap

p.s. it has been a long while since Car and I followed each other in feedback, and this time is a coincidence. Sigh. Good times.
[br]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:11 am 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

fourth. blah!

ETA: omfg Sally......look what you did now! i'm all teary and stuff!

that was SO beautiful. it's one of the most touching, expressive, and well written short stories that i've ever read. first of all, it was SOOOOO nice that you decided to talk about Willow and Tara, and all the Scoobies, as old people.....we always see them young, we keep them alive in our hearts here, but what we forget is that if they're young forever, they're not really alive, cause life is a cycle *tilts head* that was very philosophical of me *pats herself on the back* :P

so, to see them old, with their little health problems, well, it was nice and heartwarming.

i liked this part:

Quote:
They were gathered in a semicircle and looked well-groomed and clean-cut in blazers and khaki pants. Willow smiled to herself; she knew that they students were probably much more comfortable in jeans and T-shirts, as she had been at that age. It was nice that they had made the effort tonight.

aaaaaaaawwwwwww.......that was so sweet of them

i liked also how Anya asks about Tara. i mean, it's sweet of her to do it, and it's even sweeter this line:

Quote:
Willow spoke up. "It's okay, Anya - I like to think that Tara's still around, and that sometimes I see her too."

Anya relaxed and smiled. "Well, finally someone here who has some sense."

indeed. i mean, what sense would it make a dead Tara? no sense at all!

last, i loved the transformation of willow's body :P tee hee, oh YEAH they will enjoy the night, no doubt about that! woot! a big HURRAH for gay love! :P

Sally, to conclude: it was so touching, and moving, and sweet, and cute, and absolutely fantastic and well written. makes me want to give you a big hug Image

thank you so much for sharing :kiss1

- Mudrat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:39 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

crying yes much crying here but also I am happy that thay will be together for ever and always. There is a very old song called Always and it is fiting for the story I,ll be loving you always not for just an hour , not for just a day, not for just a year but always :sob :sob Sally you are such a gift thank you