The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 10TH ANNIVERSARY KITTEN FIC CHALLENGE (WINNERS!!)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:10 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 8

CLICK HERE FOR THE FIC CHALLENGE WINNERS!!!

Alright folks, here it is! If you've moseyed on over from the Welcome Forum, you know that this challenge is a big deal! This is no ordinary fic challenge. All fics submitted will be eligible to win a coveted Tara Triangle doll, generously donated by Amber Benson herself!

Here's how it works:
The fic challenge will be open for submissions from now until midnight (Pacific Standard Time) on Wednesday, December 15th. The best part? The winner will be chosen by our very own kittens! Yes, you, the esteemed denizens of the Kittenboard will vote on which fic is worthy of the prized Tara doll! Voting will commence on Thursday, December 16th. We will keep the polls open for a week, and will announce the winner on Christmas Eve! How's that for a holiday gift!

I strongly encourage everyone to participate, not only for the chance at winning a Tara doll, but also to dazzle us with your mad writing skills. You know you've got 'em, so why not flaunt 'em?

Without further ado, here are your challenge requirements:

[blockquote]1. Since we are fast approaching the holiday season, I thought we could inject a little holiday spirit into the board. The fic must be set during the holiday season, be it Christmas, Hanukah, Kwanzaa, Yule, New Year's . . . you get my gist.

2. The fic must incorporate a creative use of at least one of the names of the four moderators: Xita, Kajun, Willowtree252, Foomatic

3. Willow or Tara must use the title of at least one Beatles song as part of normal dialogue.

4. Snow. There has to be snow. Snowstorm, snowman, snowflake, snow cone . . . I don't care as long as there's snow.

5. The fic must make use of the following objects (how and why is completely up to you):
- candy cane striped stockings
- a cube of butter

6. The fic must be completed in one post.
[/blockquote]

PLEASE POST ALL YOUR CHALLENGE ENTRIES IN THIS THREAD SO WE CAN MAXIMIZE THEIR VISIBILITY AND KEEP THEM IN ONE PLACE

There you have it. May the competition be fierce, may the fics be plentiful, and may the best holiday story win!

ETA: A question was brought up about the amount of admissible entries for the challenge. You can post as many stories as you would like, but only one can be used for entry into the actual contest.

ETAA: Upon discussion with the other mods, I've changed the requirements slightly to accomodate the fics that have already been written.

Current entries:

That Magic (Christmas) Feeling, by Laragh
The Yuletide Present, by LonelyTara
Home for Christmas, by Wayland
In From the Cold, by LonelyTara
Steady Heart, by Mrs. Pineapple
The Diary, by tazraven
She Came Upon a Midnight Clear, by taralicious
A Special Christmas of Sorts, by Vanessa
Finding the Lights, by Taranwillow4ever
Who Wears the Trousers? by Katharyn
A Vampire Is Not Just For Christmas, by Vivienne
The Santa Line, by Finey_McFine

Kisses and Gay Love
"I like my buttons, curvy." - Willow, Neverland, by Easiersaid

Last edited by Foomatic on Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:17 am, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject: Re: That Magic (Christmas) Feeling
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:42 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 53

TITLE: That Magic (Christmas) Feeling

AUTHOR: Laragh

RATING: PG-13

DISCLAIMER: Willow, Tara and any other characters from the Buffy the Vampire Slayer franchise belong to Joss Whedon, FOX, ME and a whole host of other entities, none of which are me.

SUMMARY: A bad day turns around in an unexpected way

SPOILERS: None at all, this is an AU Sunnydale with no demons, or hellmouth.

AUTHOR’S NOTE: Okay, so I'm starting things off! This is my first fic challenge so I’m both nervous and excited!. The events depicted in this story probably wouldn’t happen in real life, but I’m taking a few liberties (no more than a regular movie probably would!). Mostly from Willow’s POV, but it’s written in the 3rd person if you know what I mean. Anyway, I hope you enjoy! Pure fluff! Oh and thoughts in italics!

Okay, after re-checking to make sure all the requirements are there, I have just discovered (post-writing ) that only one moderator name was required. Um, I included all 4...if that makes the challenege invalid, mods, you can totally remove this post...

“I cannot believe I’m doing this.”

“You were the one who said you needed extra cash, Willow.”

Willow sighed and looked down at her attire, shaking her head in mutual disdain and slight horror.

“Should have just gotten a job at Starbucks like any other normal college student,” she mumbled before turning to her friend Buffy and scowling, “I look like an elf! An inexplicably tall, Jewish elf!”

“Okay, first off, you’re supposed to look like an elf,” Buffy replied with a shake of her head, placing her hands on her friend’s shoulders for reassurance, “And anyway, your ears are nowhere near pointy enough.”

Willow batted Buffy’s hands away from her shoulders and scowled harder before turning towards the mirror in the small dressing room they were standing in, taking in the attire she was wearing with more than a little disdain.

She adjusted the sleeveless, and much-too-tight-for-her-liking green waistcoat that was sitting over her shoulders, and pulled at the end of the miniscule red skirt, trying to get it to cover as much as she could, which even with her insistent tugging, wasn’t very much.

The only good thing about the outfit, Willow felt, were the candy cane striped stockings – at least with those, the majority of her legs were covered. Even if the short skirt meant her thighs were pretty much all on show.

“Stop stressing and sit down so I can do your make-up,” Buffy’s voice pulled the redhead from her reverie.

Willow took one last self-deprecating look in the full-length mirror before spinning around and sitting down in the chair Buffy was pointing to as the petite blonde started rooting through the make-up bag she had brought with her.

“Thanks for coming with me today,” Willow said in a genuine tone, “I would have balked and just ran home already if you hadn’t been here to make me stay.”

Buffy started laying out all her make up on the small table next to the chair.

“Willow, you have nothing to worry about. All you have to do is stand around and look pretty for the day and you get paid $200! I’m a little jealous I didn’t try to get this gig myself.”

Willow nervously bit the skin on the side of her thumb. She’d wanted to get some extra cash for the holiday season, but didn’t want to commit to a long-term job since she knew once classes started up at UC Sunnydale again, she’d be giving her studies her full attention.

So when a man had stopped her while she was shopping in the mall one day and asked if she’d be willing to spend Christmas Eve as a helper for “Santa’s Grotto”, 10 hours work for a cool $200, she had jumped at the chance.

That was, until she had arrived that morning, Buffy in tow since her friend was planning on doing some last minute shopping, and had been handed the outfit she had to wear. Revealing clothes were not something she wore often – ever really. And not once in her 19 years had she ever had quite so much skin on show.

“This is hardly appropriate clothing to be around children with,” she muttered and Buffy laughed.

“Maybe not, but you’ll get all the Dads wanting to bring their kids to see Santa,” Buffy replied, “And who knows, maybe some hot big sister will see you and swoon at your feet.”

Willow blushed.

“I haven’t had any luck with the ladies so far, I don’t think anything is gonna change today.”

Buffy looked at her friend pointedly and with a grin.

“Then you really haven’t seen what you’re wearing.”

Willow blushed even harder and was about to protest with she caught sight of what Buffy had just pulled out of her make-up bag and looked confused.

“Why do you have a Tupperware container?”

“For this!” Buffy proclaimed cheerily, opening the small contained and pulling out a knob of something small and yellow.

Willow still looked confused.

“And that is...?”

“A cube of butter,” Buffy replied nonchalantly as she went about rubbing it over the redhead’s cheeks. Willow, understandably, pushed her away, making the blonde throw up her hands in exasperation, “What?”

“You’re rubbing butter on my face, that’s what!” Willow replied, rubbing at her cheek, “Ew, it’s all greasy.”

“And it’s melting in my hand,” Buffy responded, lightly rubbing some of the butter between her fingers and then again over her friend’s skin, “Look, it makes a nice glow and your foundation will stay on your face all day. It’s one of those girlie tricks. You just need a little. There. Perfect. Now stay still while I apply your actual make-up.”

Willow diligently stayed still while Buffy applied her make-up, highlighting her cheekbones with a dash of blusher and making her eyes pop with green eyeshadow, finishing by pronouncing her lips with ruby-red lipstick, the overall effect adding to the Christmas theme her outfit was trying to illustrate.

“Excellent,” Buffy grinned as she clapped her hands in appreciation of her own work, “Do you feel full of Christmas cheer?”

Willow was stopped from responding as the shrill sound of a cell phone ringing burst from Buffy’s pocket and the blonde retrieved it and snapped it open, putting it against her ear.

“Hello? Oh hey Mom. Yea, I’m at the mall. Yes. No. No... Mom! No! I’m not taking care of the little brat! It’s a Saturday, can’t she go to one of her stupid friends?! Eurgh. Fine. I’m leaving. But I hope you know you’re ruining my life!”

Buffy angrily shut her phone and scowled.

“Called up for babysitting duties?” Willow questioned with a smirk, oddly pleased that she wasn’t the only one who was in for a day of dealing with annoying children.

“Dawn’s 13, I don’t see why she can’t look after herself for a few hours,” Buffy replied, kicking the leg of the chair in frustration, “She’s gonna wanna try on all my clothes. Eurgh. I gotta go, Will, Mom's collecting me, but good luck with the gig! I’ll see you tomorrow for Christmas!”

Willow gave a small wave as Buffy rushed out of the room with her purse and make-up bag and the redhead started to gather her own belongings, putting them in the small locker provided in the changing room of the mall. She glanced down at her watch and sighed as she saw it was time she headed out, so grabbed the pointed red had that completed her outfit and left the changing room.

Keeping her head down to avoid stares from any of the mall’s patrons, she quickly walked from the set of changing rooms over to where a large wooden house was set up in the middle of the mall, surrounded by plastic Christmas trees, brightly decorated, the surfaces of the trees and the house, as well as the floor around the area all covered in fake snow.

Willow did have to admit, it looked quite spectacular.

“Elf 2 is here!” a man’s loud voice was heard as Willow was suddenly tugged to the side, “You’re late.”

“Um, sorry,” Willow replied, blushing profusely.

The man didn’t respond, just continued to look around himself and nodded.

“Okay, this is your side of the cabin, you can collect the entrance fee in this little box here,” he said, pointing to a shiny-red money box sitting on a small circular table just off to the side, “Make sure the kids stay out of the props and the line stays going steady. Let the parents take pictures of their kids with Santa, if they want, but push them along if they’re taking up too much time. You got it?”

Willow nodded, too scared to say anything by the man’s brusque demeanour. She looked off to the side and saw another girl standing on the other side of the cabin, dressed the same attire she was and also with red hair.

Did I get asked to do this just ‘cause of my hair colour? I guess it is Christmas-y...

She pondered the question for another moment before noticing a parent and child walking towards her and adopted a cheery smile.

“Welcome to Santa’s Grotto. Santa’s waiting for you, right inside!”

The little boy squealed excitedly and ran inside the door, where Willow heard a loud ‘Ho, Ho, Ho’ coming from the ‘Santa’ who was sitting inside. The mother of the child handed her a $5 dollar note and followed her son inside. Willow deposited the note in the cashbox and smiled as she saw some more people start to form a line near her.

This isn’t so bad...

Quite a few hours later, Willow had definitely begun to think differently, as she struggled with children trying to run around the Grotto, eat the fake snow and pushy parents who were holding up the line by taking any entire reel of film’s worth of photographs.

Only one hour to go...

“I’m seeing Santa!”

Willow was pulled from her thoughts at the sound of a little girl’s excited voice and she looked down to see the child excitedly pulling at her mother’s pants leg.

“Have you been a good girl this year?” Willow asked with forced cheer.

The little girl looked up at her quizzically for a moment before abruptly kicking the redhead’s shin.

“Only Santa’s allowed ask me that!”

Willow grabbed her shin in shock from the kick, causing her to stumble for a few moments before eventually falling over completely. She fell backwards, crashing into one of the fake Christmas trees, which in turn hit against the row of fairy lights hanging above the cabin, making them crash down to the floor, with the other trees they were connected to.

All Willow could hear were screams of fright from the children at the loud banging sounds the ruckus had caused as she struggled to stand up. When she eventually managed to, she was pulled off to the side from the man who had ‘greeted’ her earlier.

“What on earth have you done?” he asked in an angry, but hushed tone, “You’re ruined our entire set-up!”

Willow tried to speak.

“I...I...”

“Look at this,” the man gestured wildly with his hands, “Oh, just get out of here! Your paycheck might just cover the damages.”

Willow opened and closed her mouth in shock and the man glared at her.

“Leave! You’re fired!”

Willow went to say something but didn’t know what, so instead just turned and started running back towards the changing room, wanting to just change back into her comfy clothes, and go home to her comfy bed, for the first time happy that her parents weren’t around and she’d have the place to herself to forget about the day from hell.

She closed the door of the changing room behind her when she arrived and walked towards the locker, fishing around in her breast pocket for the small key that she had locked it up with. She produced the key and went to put it in the lock, frowning when she saw the lock was broken and inhaling sharply when she noticed the locker door was slightly ajar.

“Please no, please no, please no,” she begged under her breath, letting out a groan when she swung the door open and saw it completely empty, “Damn it, damn it, damn it!”

Her clothes hadn’t been the only thing in the locket, she’d left her keys, phone and wallet in there too, having had no pockets large enough to keep them with her. And now it seemed they were all in the possession of someone who broke into the locker to steal them.

She took a few deep breaths to try and curb the tears that were threatening to fall, but it was of no use as she felt the salty droplets on her cheeks a moment later. Having no tissue, or even enough clothing to wipe them away, she quickly scurried out of the changing rooms and into the bathrooms that were just a few feet away.

As soon as she closed the bathroom door behind her, any self-control she’d been hanging onto, faltered and deep sobs rose from her throat. She grabbed a handful of paper towels and sank to the floor, bringing her knees up to her chest and dropping her head against them as she continued to cry.

She wasn’t sure how long she stayed like that until she felt an arm wrap around each of her shoulders. Her first thought was that she should have locked herself into one of the stalls instead of just breaking down on the bathroom floor to avoid any awkward encounters with anyone else who might have entered, but that thought quickly left her mind as she heard the most angelic voice whisper in her ear.

“Hey, it’s okay. There’s no need to cry.”

Willow cautiously raised her head and felt her tears dry up instantly as she took in the features of the beautiful brunette woman beside her. Instantly feeling self-conscious, she went to wipe her face with one of the paper towels but the brunette took a hold of it first and gently wiped away at her eyes.

“There you go. A face as pretty as yours shouldn’t be hidden like that.”

Willow blushed.

“Thank you,” she replied before wincing, embarrassed, “I must look like a huge loser, crying in the bathroom of a mall.”

The other woman just shook her head.

“No, you just looked like you needed a hug,” she smiled before looking self-conscious as well, “And I must seem like a complete weirdo who hugs strangers in bathrooms.”

“No, no,” Willow hastened to reassure, “It was really nice of you. Really kind. I, um...I’ve had a bit of a crappy day.”

“That doesn’t sound good.”

“Yea, it really wa-” Willow was cut off by the sound of her stomach rumbling loudly and she blushed bright red.

The woman just smiled and nodded towards the door.

“Wanna go get some food?”

“Um, thanks,” Willow replied, blushing more, “But, um, I kinda have no money, so...”

“Don’t worry about it,” the brunette cut the redhead off, standing up and pulling Willow up with her, “You can’t just go hungry. I’m Tara, by the way.”

“Tara,” Willow repeated the name reverently, “I’m, um...I’m Willow.”

Tara stuck her hand out and Willow went to shake it, almost gasping at the electric shock she felt go through her at the contact. She looked up and saw that Tara too looked kind of dazed and gave the brunette’s hand a squeeze before letting go.

She watched as Tara gave a small, almost secretive smile before squeezing her shoulder.

“Come on, I was just about to head up to the food court to grab some food anyway.”

“Tara, are you sure?” Willow asked as they walked from the bathroom and towards the escalator up to the food court, “I mean, are you normally this nice to girls you find crying in the bathroom?”

Tara looked down bashfully.

“Only the cute ones.”

Willow blushed but a huge grin spread on her face, feeling a thousand times better than she had just a few minutes before.

“Have you got a food preference?” Tara asked shyly as they arrived in the food court.

She wasn’t sure quite what had prompted her to sit down next to the redhead in the bathroom, but she had and in the process had discovered what she thought to be the most beautiful girl she’d ever seen in her life. And she couldn’t explain it, but there was a connection. She didn’t care that they’d known each other all of 5 minutes, there was a connection.

“Um, I don’t really mind,” Willow replied to the question, “I didn’t get lunch, so I’d eat pretty much anything.”

Tara gestured for the redhead to sit at one of the tables near them.

“Kajun Kitchen do pretty good chicken,” Tara suggested with a shrug, “Would that be okay?”

Willow nodded and Tara smiled, before turning and going towards one of the counters with ‘Kajun Kitchen’ written above it. Willow watched her go, her thoughts quickly going into overdrive.

This is almost like a date. There’s food and there’s sitting and there’s...there’s flirting. She called me cute. And pretty. And there’s tingles, lots and lots of tingles. Is she tingling? I think she’s tingling. She looks at me like she’s tingling. Oh wow. Something’s happening here. Something big. She’s...she’s something big.

Tara returned then, carrying a tray with two paper plates and two soda cups.

“They were just about to close, we were lucky. Chicken and rice and Diet Coke,” she said as she sat down opposite the redhead, “Is that okay?”

“Very,” Willow replied, eagerly grabbing a fork and spearing a piece of chicken into mouth, her hunger overpowering her, “Thank you so much, Tara. I promise I’ll pay you back.”

“Don’t worry about it,” Tara replied, slowly eating her own food, “So, um, what brings a girl to be crying in the bathroom of a mall?”

Willow blushed slightly.

“Um, okay....Do you want the full story?”

Tara nodded as she took a sip from her drink.

“If you don’t mind sharing.”

Willow shook her head before taking a deep breath.

“Okay, so I, um, had a job, just for today, to be...well, to be an elf at Santa’s Grotto that was happening in the mall today.”

Tara nodded and gave a small smile.

“I was wondering about the outfit. Seemed a bit much just to be festive.”

“Tell me about it,” Willow glanced down with a shake of her head, “But, yea, so I was there and it was pretty crappy, all these kids running around and stuff, but then one of them kicked me because I asked a question that apparently is reserved only for Santa. And I fell and well, everything kinda...collapsed.”

Tara looked over the table caringly.

“I saw the broken trees and stuff on my way to the bathroom. I thought a kid maybe did it.”

“Nope, all me,” Willow sighed exasperatedly, “So yea, they fired me and kept my paycheck to cover the damages.”

Tara frowned.

“Can they do that?”

“I dunno, but they did,” Willow replied, shaking her head, “And then, I go back to get changed out of these god-awful clothes and someone broke into my locker and took everything. My clothes, my wallet, my keys. Everything.”

“Oh Willow,” Tara reached across the table and took one of the smaller girl’s hands, “That’s terrible.”

“Um, yea,” Willow replied, gulping and looking down at where Tara’s hand was covering her own, “It, um...it sucked. I, uh...I don’t even know how I’m gonna get home.”

Tara moved her hand up and cupped the redhead’s cheek, stroking the skin under her thumb for just a moment.

“Don’t worry, we’ll get you home.”

Willow instinctively leaned into the touch and smiled softly.

“Thank you. You’re like my guardian angel.”

“I don’t know about that,” Tara blushed, taking her hand back, “But I’m happy I can help.”

Willow looked down coyly and continued eating, looking up occasionally to take a shy peek at Tara and smiling when she saw the brunette doing the same. When they were both finished, she gathered their trash on the tray and brought it over to throw it in the trash can, blushing when a couple of guys wolf-whistled at her on her way back to Tara.

“Are you really uncomfortable in those clothes?” Tara asked gently as the redhead sat down at pulled at the end of her skirt.

“More like embarrassed beyond belief,” Willow muttered, holding a hand in front of her face.

Tara looked thoughtful for a moment before standing up and holding her hand out.

“Come on, I know where we can get you some proper clothes.”

Willow looked up into Tara’s kind features and then at the offered hand. She had no idea why, but she trusted the brunette. So she giddily took her hand and beamed when Tara didn’t let go after pulling her up.

“Where are we going?” Willow asked as she was lead down the escalator onto another floor of the mall.

“Just down here...” Tara answered before stopping in front of a large department store, “Here.”

Willow looked at the store and shook her head.

“Tara, I can’t let you buy me clothes, really, I mean you were so nice with the food and everything...”

“Just trust me,” Tara answered and Willow nodded.

“Of course.”

Tara seemed very pleased by that answer and started to lead the redhead through the rows and rows of clothes until a woman suddenly stopped them.

“Tara! Bonswa. I jridu jixtru umbrella. Huwa ix-xita.”

Tara smiled at the woman and pointed towards the front of the store.

“Bonswa, Russlana. Dawn huma fuq quddiem tal-ma??en.”

The woman smiled back and started making her way towards where Tara had pointed. Willow looked at the brunette curiously.

“Um, what language was that?”

“Maltese. My grandmother was from Malta, I grew up speaking the language,” Tara answered as she continued walking them in the opposite direction, “She’s a regular customer here, doesn’t speak a word of English so I’m the only one she talks to. She’s lucky I was here, my shift ended an hour ago.”

“You work here?” Willow asked and smiled when Tara produced an ID keycard, “You work here.”

“I do,” Tara replied as she used the keycard to gain them access into the “employee’s only” backroom, turning on the lights and pointed to a box in the corner of the room, regretfully letting go of the redhead’ hand in the process, “See those clothes? They’re all ones we don’t sell that we’re going to donate to charity, so you can choose what you like.”

“Really?” Willow asked, trying to ignore the pang of loss when Tara dropped her hand, “You won’t get in trouble or anything, will you?”

“No, I’ve got a great boss,” Tara answered with a smile, “All the employees are allowed to look through and take stuff if they want it.”

“Your boss sounds better than my ex-boss,” Willow giggled as she knelt down beside the box and opened the top, “Even if he was just my boss for a few hours.”

Tara knelt down beside the redhead.

“Anyone would be stupid to ever let you go.”

Willow hid her blush by continuing to root through the box.

“This world would be a lot more Willow-friendly if everyone thought like you.”

Tara gave a small smile.

“So I’m Willow-friendly?”

Willow looked up and matched the other girl’s smile.

“The friendliest,” she responded before looking back down into the box with a giggle, “And you’re absolutely sure this is okay?”

Tara nodded.

“Definitely.”

Willow rooted for another moment before pulling out a pair of black sweat pants and a yellow t-shirt with a melting popsicle on it.

“These look comfy...”

“That t-shirt was a bestseller during the summer,” Tara replied with a laugh, before standing up, “I’ll, um...just stand over here while you get changed.”

Tara walked over to the other side of the room and stood behind a rack of clothes. She tried not to think about the fact that Willow was taking her clothes off just a few feet away from her, but it was hard to when she could hear it happening so close.

“Done!” Willow’s cheery voice came a moment later, and Tara walked back from behind the clothes, “Thank you so much, these are so much more comfortable than that damn outfit.”

“They suit you,” Tara smiled at the redhead, thinking Willow looked just as beautiful in sweats and a t-shirt then she had in the short skirt and tight top.

“Thanks,” Willow replied, gathering the elf outfit in her arms, “Um, is there a trashcan? I never want to see these again.”

Tara held her hands out and took the clothing, walking over to the trashcan in the room and dropping them in there.

“Never an elf shall you be again.”

Willow laughed.

“And never will I degrade myself for money again.”

“Glad to hear it,” Tara smiled before nodding towards the door, “I did promise I’d get you home. I hope the bus is okay.”

Willow nodded.

“Considering I thought I’d have to walk, the bus is great.”

Tara giggled and started walking towards the door.

“I’ve never heard someone be so cheery about public trans...” Tara trailed off as she tried and failed to open the door, “It must be jammed. Will you help me?”

“Of course,” Willow replied, scurrying over to the brunette, “Um...”

Tara held her keycard up.

“I need to tag my ID while we open, so on 3, we both tug, okay?”

“Okay,” Willow replied and placed her hands over Tara’s on the doorknob, “On 3.”

Tara counted to three out loud and scanned her card at the same time as they both attempted to tug the open, but to no avail.

“Maybe it can be opened on the other side?” Willow suggested and Tara nodded.

“Hello?” Tara called loudly through the door as she banged on it, “It’s Tara! The door’s jammed!”

They both listened and waited for any kind of response, but there was none.

“That’s weird, there should be someone on the shop floor close enough to hear,” Tara remarked before a sudden thought occured to her, “Willow, what time is it?”

“Uh...” Willow glanced down at her watch, “Eight thirty. Why?”

Tara instantly paled.

“The mall closes at eight.”

“No,” Willow shook her head, “The mall closes at nine.”

“Not on Christmas Eve,” Tara answered, biting the side of her lip.

Willow looked completely confused for a few moments before panic broke out on her face.

“Are you saying no one’s responding ‘cause no one’s there?! We’re locked in here?!”

Tara put a hand on the redhead’s shoulder comfortingly.

“Willow, it’s okay, calm down.”

“Calm down?! Calm down?!” Willow asked, banging loudly on the door, “How can I calm down?! Help! Help us!!! Why won’t the door open!?”

“Because the mall shuts down its electricity during the night,” Tara replied, trying to be the calm one, “The door operates electronically.”

Willow made a scared noise and looked around.

“How are the lights working?”

“They operate on a different system, they all have to be turned off manually,” Tara answered, knowing because she’d gotten in trouble once for leaving the lights on all night, “Okay, Willow, do you have a cell?”

Willow shook her head sadly and Tara gave an apologetic smile.

“Right. I’m sorry, I forgot, all your things got taken. And I left mine at home this morning,” she said and looked around the room, “Willow, I think we’re in here for the night.”

Willow banged her hand against the door again and felt tears spring to her eyes. Tara noticed and quickly ran her thumbs under the redhead’s eyes, gathering the moisture.

“It’s okay. You’re safe, I promise. And I know you barely know me, but I absolutely promise. You’re safe.”

Willow looked down for a moment and took a deep breath.

“Well I’m really making a name for myself as a cry-baby, huh?”

Tara rubbed a hand over the other girl’s hair comfortingly.

“Not at all. Come sit down.”

She guided them over to the battered sofa in the corner of the room and sat them both down, looking apologetic again.

“I’m sorry you have to spend Christmas Eve stuck in a store room with me.”

Willow got a small smile on her face at that.

“I’m not, actually. If I had to spend a night in here, I’m glad it’s with you.”

Tara shook her head.

“You must have family waiting for you...”

“No,” Willow shook her head as well, “My parents are in Aruba. They don’t ‘do’ winter. And I’m Jewish so even if I was home we wouldn’t be celebrating Christmas Eve. I’m going to my friend Buffy’s for dinner tomorrow, with her Mom and sister and my best friend Xander. Oh god, someone will be around tomorrow to let us out, won’t they!?”

“They will,” Tara quickly reassured, “Some of the stores don’t open, but this one does. I know, I’m supposed to work tomorrow.”

Willow frowned at that.

“You’re working Christmas?”

“Well I had nowhere else to go,” Tara shrugged, “It seemed better than sitting home alone.”

“You have no family?” Willow asked, her frown deepening, “Or, or friends to share it with?”

“My grandmother was my only family,” Tara answered sadly, “She died a couple of years ago. And, um, no friends. At least none that asked if I wanted to share the holidays.”

“Sorry about your grandmother,” Willow replied genuinely, “I was really close to my grandmother too. Oh god, my car!”

Tara jumped slightly at Willow startled tone.

“They can’t take my car, it was my Bubbe’s car!” Willow continued desperately, “It was her baby and she left to me when she died and I promised I’d take care of it! I don’t care about my cell or my wallet, but they took my keys! If they figure out which one it is...”

“They might not,” Tara reached for the redhead’s hand and gave it a squeeze, “It’s more likely they ran when they found your wallet and didn’t wait around for mall security to find them by looking for your car. I’m sure it’ll still be out there in the morning.”

Willow seemed to calm slightly at that and happily squeezed the brunette’s hand too before looking up in thought.

“Mall security. Aren’t there security guards around here at night?”

“No,” Tara shook her head, taking her hand back, “I’m not sure why, though some of the other girls said it’s because no one is willing to take a job in this town after dark. Something about it being ‘spooky’.”

“Sunnydale is creepsville,” Willow responded with a nod of her head, “I don’t know why, it just is.”

“It’s better than LA,” Tara replied, relaxing back into the sofa, “At least Sunnydale is quiet, most of the time. No screaming car alarms or shootings. I like the quiet.”

Willow settled back into the sofa as well, happy to be getting to know more about the brunette woman she’d only known a couple of hours but felt like she’d known forever.

“You lived in LA?”

“Until I finished high school,” Tara answered, “I was going to go to UCLA but then my grandmother died, and...well, I couldn’t afford it anymore. And the city had too many memories, so I decided to move here. I’m hoping to start college next year, that’s why I try to work as much as I can, so I can afford it.”

Willow smiled at that.

“UCSD is a good school, we’d be lucky to have you. And if you lived on campus we could see each other all the time!” she gushed excitedly, before blushing, “If you wanted to.”

“Of course I would,” Tara smiled shyly, “And, um, I’d like to see you before I get onto the campus , too.”

“Oh definitely,” Willow nodded eagerly, “I mean, there’s like nine months before the new school year starts, that’s....that’s a lot of time that we shouldn’t waste. Hanging out. And um...and stuff.”

The girls shared a smile for a few moments, both feeling something building between them. Something neither girl had felt before, but both knew it was special. They were special. Together, between them, they were special and the energy passing through each of them and to each other was electrifying.

“Stuff,” Tara echoed and Willow felt her heart begin to beat rapidly.

“I’m gay!” Willow said suddenly, upon realising that while she was becoming quite aware that what was passing between them was certainly of the romantic variety, she wasn’t even sure if what she was quickly considering to be ‘her girl’ even liked girls, “Um...I mean...uh, I didn’t mean it to come out like that.”

“You mean you didn’t mean to come out like that?” Tara giggled with a smile, “And I know.”

“You do?” Willow asked, her eyes wide, “Do I look gay? ‘Cause Buffy says the reason I never get asked out is that I don’t look gay enough.”

Tara scoffed playfully and shook her head.

“First of all, Buffy’s really stereotyping there and secondly, I knew because you’re wearing a rainbow wristband with ‘Gay Pride’ written on it. Not many straight girls wear those. Although some do, I guess.”

Willow looked down at the wristband she never took off and giggled.

“Oh. I guess I kinda forgot about this. I just always wear it.”

Tara reached out and traced a finger on the wristband.

“I’d wear one too if I had one.”

Willow tried to remain casual.

“As a straight girl...?”

“No,” Tara scoffed again, “As a girl who’s gay as...”

“Christmas?” Willow suggested before laughing, “For lack of a better term.”

“Gay as Christmas,” Tara confirmed with a grin, before playfully taping Willow’s shin with her foot, “So tell me about yourself, Willow...?”

“Rosenberg,” Willow answered and nodded with a smile, “I will if you will, Tara...?”

“Maclay,” Tara laughed, “Okay. Well, I grew up in LA, you know that, and I was raised by my grandmother.”

Willow nodded and bit the side of her lip.

“How come? Unless you don’t want to say.”

“No, it’s okay,” Tara responded with a small sigh, “Well my mother...my mother was a drug addict. And my father was her dealer. He was never in the picture, as far as I know anyway, and my mother took an overdose and died when I was two. So my grandmother took me in and raised me.”

Willow looked shocked, despite the brunette having only said a few sentences.

“Tara, that’s terrible. I’m...I’m so sorry.”

“Don’t be,” Tara shook her head with a confident smile, “My grandmother gave me a great life. A wonderful childhood. Definitely not what I would have had with my parents. She taught me about nature and love...”

Willow looked at the taller girl curiously.

“Love?”

“Well, she told me that when I fell in love, I’d know the instant I laid eyes on the person,” Tara replied, looking at the redhead pointedly, “And that if I ever let it go, she’d haunt me forever.”

Willow burst into giggles.

“Wow, she sounds amazing. My grandmother was pretty amazing, too. She was a Holocaust survivor and she used to tell the most amazing stories about travelling here from Poland with my Zayde. Um, my grandfather,” she replied before giggling again, “And she used to say that I had her heart and her strength and that it must skip a generation because my mother definitely didn’t have it. My Mom’s...well, she’s not exactly parent of the year. She’s always travelling with my Dad, mostly for work. They were never really around growing up.”

“I’m sorry, sweetie,” Tara responded and Willow felt her heart skip a beat at the term of endearment.

“It’s okay. I had my grandmother, and like you said, she gave me a great childhood when she was around.”

There was another shared smile between the two and Willow started to wonder how inappropriate it would be to just lean over and kiss the brunette. She wanted it. She was almost 100% that Tara wanted it. But that niggling doubt made her dismiss the thought – for now anyway – and instead started a conversation with Tara about their likes and dislikes.

She learned all she could about the brunette over the next little while, and shared all she could as well, not worrying about seeming anything other than her genuine self, something that she’d never felt quite so comfortable being before. Neither girl noticed that they’d both slipped their shoes off and were playing footsie with each other on the sofa.

“Then Buffy came along in high school,” Willow spoke, just having told Tara about her and Xander had been friends since Kindergarten, “And our friend Jesse moved away, so Xander hung out with us more. And I didn’t have to have my computer for company so much.”

“You’re a computer whiz?” Tara asked with a fond smile on her face.

“If ever a whiz there was!” Willow quipped, smiling too, “Yea, I love computers. Oh, oh, I just finished writing this program where your computer automatically records voices and translates it into text, so like, say I could use it in a lecture and not have to type or write a word. There’s no real name for it yet, so I just call it Foomatic. Except there’s already a printing filter called that, so I definitely couldn’t use that as it’s real name.”

Tara gave a helpless shrug.

“Foomatic?”

“Oh, okay,” Willow replied, thinking for a moment of how to explain, “Well, you see, in hacker-world, that being the world in which hackers live and well, hack; ‘foo,’ or well, ‘foobar’ really, but ‘foo’ for short, is like a name we give to stuff as like a temporary hold. So since my programme detects voice automatically, I put foo plus matic and got Foomatic. Although now I think about it, maybe FooVoice is better... and you know, not already in use. Hmm...”

Tara laughed at the redhead’s contemplative thought before an errant yawn escaped her lips. Her yawn set off the redhead, who brought a hand up to her mouth as she yawned too.

“Wow, it’s late,” she remarked as she glanced down at her watch, “We could probably catch some sleep...”

“Sure,” Tara nodded, standing up, “Um, there’s some old fur coats in that box we can use as blankets. It’s getting pretty cold in here with no heating.”

Willow smiled and watched Tara retrieve two jackets from the box of clothes the redhead had gotten her clothes from earlier before turning the lights off, plunging the room into darkness, though both girls’ eyes adjusted quickly and could make out each other’s outlines. Willow accepted the jacket handed to her but frowned when she saw Tara start to lie down on the floor alongside her on the sofa.

“There’s, um...there’s plenty of room up here, Tara,” she said quietly and held her breath as she waited for a response.

Tara sat up.

“Are you sure?”

“Definitely,” Willow replied, a little too quickly, but she didn’t care, “Plenty of room. And it’s much comfier than the floor.”

Willow watched as Tara stood up completely and quickly shifted back as far as she could on the sofa, smiling in the darkness as the brunette lay down beside her, their bodies instinctively shuffling together underneath both fur coats.

“Goodnight, Tara,” Willow whispered, their faces just inches apart.

Tara brought a hand up and gently tucked a piece of hair behind the redhead’s ear.

“Goodnight, Willow.”

Willow wanted so desperately to kiss Tara right then. But she didn’t want to ruin the perfect moment passing between them even more. So she settled for smiling at the brunette in the shadows and placed a hand lightly on the other girl’s waist.

It was barely seconds before they were both sleeping.

“Tara? Tara? Tara!”

Tara’s eyes flew open at the repeated calling of her name and she jumped up from the sofa when she saw her boss, a middle-aged brunette woman named Olivia standing over her.

“Tara, what are you doing here so early?” Olivia questioned, ignoring the fact that she had been cuddling up to another woman on the sofa, “I just opened up.”

“We got locked in last night,” Tara explained and saw Olivia’s eyes go wide.

“I accounted for all the staff before I closed up. Your shift ended before lock-up.”

Tara started to explain the full story to Olivia, who listened in nothing short of complete surprise.

“Oh god, Tara, well are you okay?” she asked and got an answering nod, “Well obviously I’m not going to have you working after a night like that. Go home, rest. But in future, make sure someone knows if you’re on the premises, especially in a hidden room like this.”

“I will,” Tara nodded, relieved she wasn’t in more trouble, “I’m very sorry.”

Olivia gave her employee’s shoulder a quick squeeze before grinning down at Willow.

“Just a girl who needed some help, huh?” she asked and saw Tara blush, “I’m not even going to ask. Merry Christmas, Tara.”

The older woman left the store room with a laugh and Tara knelt down alongside the sofa.

“Willow...Willow, sweetie, it’s morning. It’s Christmas.”

Willow fluttered her eyes open and smiled at the face that greeted her.

“Tara.”

“Good morning,” Tara grinned, “We’ve been made.”

Willow’s brow crumpled in confusion before realisation dawned and she shot up on the sofa.

“We can leave?”

“We can leave,” Tara confirmed, “I even got the day off of work.”

“Great,” Willow smiled and stood up, with a stretch, “That was the best night’s sleep I’ve had in a long while.”

“Cramped up on an old sofa in a freezing store room?” Tara questioned and Willow gave a bashful shrug.

“I had good company.”

Tara blushed and nodded towards the door with a happy smile.

“Are you ready to leave?”

“Yea,” Willow nodded, before suddenly remembering, “My car! I need, I need to check! My car!”

“Okay, we’re leaving,” Tara replied, quickly opening the door with her keycard.

Willow shot through the door like a rocket and started running at full speed. Tara kept up as best she could until they arrived in the car park and she saw the redhead throw herself over the bonnet of an older but obviously well-cared for blue T-bird. She walked the rest of the way over and smiled when she saw the look of pure relief on Willow’s face.

“Safe and sound?”

“Thank god,” Willow replied, running a hand down the car affectionately, “I keep a spare set of keys in the glove compartment, but I’ve just realised how silly that is if I’m already locked out of the car. There’s a third set at home somewhere. I’ll have to come back and collect her.”

Tara turned her head in thought for a moment before smiling.

“Wait right there,” she said, holding a finger up to indicate she’d only be one minute before turning back towards the mall.

Willow waited patiently for just a few minutes until Tara returned, coat hanger in hand, and gaped as the brunette began untwisting it and straightening it out.

“Are you gonna do what I think you’re gonna do? ‘Cause I thought that only worked in the movies.”

Tara laughed and put a hand against the glass of the window, firmly but carefully pushing downwards until a small gap was made.

“No, it works in real life too.”

Willow watched as Tara started to thread the hanger down through the gap, trying to latch onto the opening.

“Tara, you’re not a car thief, right?”

Tara laughed again and shook her head.

“No, I just had a grandmother who lived to be a ripe, old age. A ripe, old, forgetful age. I lost count of the times she locked her keys in the car when we were out getting groceries,” she replied, making continuous hooking motions with the hanger, “Just...okay...and...there!”

Willow squealed as the door popped open and threw her arms around the brunette.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”

“You’re welcome,” Tara replied genuinely, squeezing back before they pulled apart and she continued sadly, “So I guess this is goodbye.”

“What?” Willow asked in disbelief, “No, no, I...I can give you a ride home! It’s the very least I can do after everything you’ve done for me.”

“That’d be great,” Tara replied, just as reluctant to leave the redhead’s side yet, “Thanks.”

Willow beamed and hopped into the driver’s seat, retrieving the spare keys while Tara walked around the car, stopping just briefly to look at something before getting in the passenger side.

“Nice licence plate,” she said with a smirk, “Willowtree252?”

“Oh,” Willow blushed as she started the engine, “I got that when I got the car. My grandmother used to call me ‘Willowtree’.”

“That’s very sweet,” Tara replied genuinely, “And 252?”

Willow turned and met the brunette’s eye.

“It was her area code in South Carolina. I know it’s silly, but every time I dialled ‘252’, I knew I was going to get to speak to her and it always lifted my spirits.”

“That’s not stupid,” Tara responded, smiling, “It’s not stupid at all.”

Willow felt the flush in her cheeks again, but couldn’t stop smiling.

“So where am I going?”

Tara rattled off her address and Willow started driving in the right direction. There was silence in the car until Willow suddenly piped up, the thoughts of having to leave Tara alone in her apartment when they got there too much for her to bear.

“Tara, have Christmas dinner with me. And my friends. Please? I really, really want you there.”

“Willow, I wasn’t lying when I said I wanted to spend more time together,” Tara replied bashfully, “But I don’t want to impose.”

“You wouldn’t be,” Willow responded, her tone full of reassurance, “I absolutely promise, you wouldn’t be. Mrs. Summers, that’s Buffy’s Mom, she always makes so much food and...please, Tara?”

Tara wanted to jump at the invitation, but she really didn’t want to be a burden to someone on Christmas.

“Are you sure?”

“100%,” Willow replied emphatically, “I...I want...I need to be around you.”

Tara looked down shyly but Willow saw a huge grin on her face.

“I’m taking that as a yes,” she continued cheerily, “Okay, how about I drop you home and you can shower and stuff, and I’ll go home and shower at my place and I’ll pick you up again in like an hour? And I’ll call Mrs. Summers and everything so we know everything’s fine with you coming over. But I know it will be, ‘cause Mrs. Summers is the best.”

The car pulled up outside the building that housed Tara’s apartment and the brunette reached across the car for one of Willow’s hands.

“So I’ll see you very soon? Down here?”

Willow nodded with a smile.

“You know, If I wasn’t gonna see you in an hour anyway, I’d probably try and send you a cute note so you’d want to hang out with me again.”

Tara giggled and looked at the redhead curiously.

“And what would this note say?”

Willow thought for a moment.

“Dear Tara, you made the worst day of my life into the best night I’ve ever had. I can’t wait to spend more time with you. Sincerely, Willow.”

Tara felt a huge grin fall on her face and moved her hand to cup the redhead’s cheek. She let her touch linger for just a moment before leaning forwards and placing the barest hint of a kiss against Willow’s forehead, before spinning in her seat and exiting the car.

Willow watched Tara leave and could feel the beaming smile break out on her face. The ball was in her court now. And she was damn well going to score the winning basket.

She knew it was fast but she knew what she felt and she was pretty damn sure that Tara was feeling the exact same way. Besides – Christmas was a time for magic, wasn’t it? And Tara was most certainly magical.

Before she even realised she was doing it, she had opened the car door and was running towards Tara, spinning her around in place before she entered her building and crushing their lips together. Tara, rather than being surprised, grabbed the redhead’s cheeks and deepened the kiss, pouring everything she had into it.

Because she’d felt it too. She’d felt everything.

Time seemed to stop, neither girl caring about their surroundings or anything but each other. Eventually their lips began to slow as their lungs burned with the need for oxygen and Willow gently massaged the back of Tara’s neck before speaking in a low, playful but genuine whisper.

“PS, I love you.”

The End

Last edited by Laragh on Fri May 11, 2012 12:24 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Re: 10TH ANNIVERSARY KITTEN GIVEAWAY FIC CHALLENGE
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:53 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 1
Laragh: This is a completely heartwarming, funny, and beautifully written story. LOVE IT. You didn't just meet this challenge; you have set a very high bar for other submissions. Mad skillz for sure! Willow isn't the only one with a bad day turned good --Thank you most sincerely.

FEEDBACK IS ALLOWED AND ENCOURAGED!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:21 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

WOOT! Don't be shy people! Please please please support our writers and leave some feedback for the submissions! Laragh, thanks for being the first! Will leave more detailed feedback once I get home to read it.

Kisses and Gay Love

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:12 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Wow, wow, wow. Laragh, that was brilliant. I would expect nothing less. :D

"We're in love. We're lovers. We're lesbian, gay-type lovers."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:17 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Topics: 2
Hey, Laragh

Dang, girl! You are setting that bar higher than high!

Was intrigued by the connection with grandmothers; nice new twist.

Cute, funny, touched the heart - I love it.

Good job!

Ariel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:24 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Loragh. You have made me smile your story is adorable!! I was not surprised you were Johnnie on the spot bravo! :pinky :pinky :pinky

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:37 pm 
3. Flaming O

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVED IT!!!!!!! Although... you had me at the Willow in an elf costume! hahahaha. The rest was also amazing! lol!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:34 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Adorable. :)

I swear sometimes, Christmas brings out the worst in people. Case in point: crazy little spoiled brats and the parents who don't do anything about them. We made the mistake of going to Disneyland on Christmas, and trust me, it was not the happiest place in the world.

The whole Foomatic thing? Priceless. Heh. Though the choice of my name has nothing to do with print filters (I like how you did your research and googled it!) or computer hackage, you made it sound so cool, I'm going to stick with that explanation. And no worries on using all four moderator names . . . that took some talent.

Thanks for the submission and breaking the seal on this challenge!!!

Kisses and Gay Love

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:56 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

A T-bird? Nice. Willow's Bubbe certainly had great taste in cars. Way to rise to the call of the fic challenge Laragh (with super speediness I might add), this was a very lovely story to read. Poor Willow, with the kicking and the spaziness and the thievery. But hey, who knows when something good/the best possible thing in the universe is waiting just around the corner, right?

This is a wonderful start and I cannot wait to read what the Kittens come up with over the course of this challenge, so have at it! I'll be here doing my fangril/talentless groundling thing, providing much deserved feedback in an attempt to alleviate my guilt for not participating.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:14 am 
5. Willowhand

Topics: 3
Foo, I've got a question for you! (hehe...that rhymes). Do you happen to know about how many characters or words are allowed in one post? Just so I can gauge my story length? Thanks!

Laragh--I'm about halfway through your story, and I'm loving it! You've got great character development for your alternative universe! Great job!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:09 am 

Hey wonderful kittens! So, here's my first entry for the 10th Anniversary Challenge! Like Laragh, this is my first challenge, so I am super-psyched!

I feel like I have some big shoes to fill, following after such an awesome writer, so I am trying to really bring it! I used all the moderator names, and two Beatles songs, and, of course, the other required elements.

I hope everyone will read and enjoy! And only one of the two fics I'll be posting can be considered for voting, so after they are both up, please PM me and let me know which one you think I should choose for voting. The second fic will be up tonight or tomorrow morning!

Oh, and special thanks to Laragh for teaching me about Malta, and being cool with me using the meaning of the word as part of my fic!

PS--To my good bud Leonhart17, Maggie, don't miss the shout-out to you in here!

Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoy:

Author: Lonely Tara

Rating: PG-13 to R

Disclaimer: BtVS is the property of Joss Whedon, FOX & ME. Don't sue me.

Summary: Tara gives Willow a very special present.

The Yuletide Present

Tara was up before anyone else in the house, even before the sun. After murmuring good morning to her sleeping wife, pressing a kiss to her strawberry-sweet auburn hair, she slipped out of bed and made her way downstairs. The sky was hazy with the barest red hint of sunrise, and so Tara walked out into the cool morning air to watch the sun come up.

“Good morning world, and Happy Yuletide,” Tara murmured as the sun crept up over the tree line. She felt the muscles in her back tense and relax, and so she reached back, rubbing. As soon as the cramp in her back relaxed, she felt a firm kick. “Good morning to you too, baby,” she said with a smile, reaching around and rubbing her rounded belly.

From the time she’d begun to show, Tara had woken earlier and earlier, either her bladder or baby summersaults lifting her from slumber into happy wakefulness. Now that she’d entered the last two weeks of her pregnancy she rarely slept more than five hours at a time, but she didn’t mind. The early morning, the rising sun, had become a happy and quiet time to spend with her unborn child.

“How about we bake mommy some cookies?” Tara asked once the sun’s glow burned away the fog, sharpening the world, leaving it crisp and cool and bright. She was still rubbing her hands over her belly and so she felt it inside and out when the baby kicked again. “Cookies it is,” she laughed. “Lets make snowflake shapes. Mommy loves funny shapes.”

Tara waddled into the kitchen, slowly gathering supplies to blend together in a large mixing bowl. She’d just begun mixing her dry ingredients when Buffy walked into the kitchen.

“Morning,” Tara said cheerfully, waving with a wooden spoon in her hand.

“You’re up early,” Buffy said.

“And you haven’t even been to bed yet, have you?” Tara asked, taking in Buffy’s rumpled appearance and the smear of dirt on the slayer’s cheek. “Busy night?”

“Nothing too bad,” Buffy said, shrugging. “Just a couple of vamps. I don’t suppose there’s pancake batter in that bowl, is there?”

Tara shook her head, trying not to laugh at the pout that flickered across Buffy’s face.

“Sorry, I thought I’d make Willow some cookies. Do you want pancakes?”

“No, no,” Buffy replied, shaking her head. “I’m just going to grab a glass of juice and a breakfast bar and try to get some rest out in the living room.”

“You’re sure? I know patrol makes you hungry.”

“I’m sure that you don't need to stress about pancakes when you’re busy growing a baby,” Buffy said firmly.

“Okay,” Tara laughed. Since you’re going in the fridge anyway, would you mind handing me the butter? There’s a bowl of it on the second shelf.”

The slayer grabbed a glass for her juice, and then rummaged around in the fridge, straightening with a small glass bowl in her hands.

“Why is the butter cut into cubes?” Buffy asked, holding up a half stick.

“Willow,” Tara said simply. “She precut them for me so I didn't have to do extra work measuring.”

“She’s really desperate for those cookies, huh?” Buffy shook her head, chuckling. “Cubes of butter. That Willow.” Buffy paused, a little smile brightening her face. “She really loves you, you know?”

“And I love her,” Tara said softly. “With all my heart.”

“I know,” Buffy said, dropping the cube of butter into back into the bowl and setting it on the counter by Tara. “And Willow does too, never doubt it.”

“Thank you, Buffy,” Tara replied, smiling. Her smile became a grimace as a cramp rippled across her belly. “Oh,” she breathed. “Good one.”

“More Braxton Hicks?” Buffy asked, putting a steadying hand on Tara’s back.

“Uh huh,” Tara breathed, giving a little sigh of relief as the false contraction passed. “The closer I get to my due date the more intense they seem to get.”

“Are you nervous?” Buffy asked. The slayer was staring down at Tara’s belly.

Tara took one of Buffy’s hands and pressed it to her stomach, watched the little smile spread across the tiny blonde’s face broaden as the baby moved.

“I’m a little nervous,” she admitted. “But I can’t wait to meet him.”

“Or her,” Buffy said.

“You and Willow,” Tara laughed, patting Buffy’s hand where it rested on her belly. “I’m telling you, it’s a boy.”

“Whatever you say,” Buffy replied, giving her belly a gentle pat. “I’ll be out in the living room if you need me. You two behave in here.”

“We’ll do our best,” Tara said, giggling.

Tara went back to rolling out her dough. Once it was flattened she used a variety of snowflake-shaped cookie cutters to make a veritable flurry of cookies for her sweetheart. As she rolled and cut, Tara shifted from foot to foot every so often to relieve her aching ankles. She heard the patter of footsteps behind her, and smiled as she felt Willow’s warm, slender arms wrap around her rounded stomach.

“Give me a taste of honey?” Willow asked in a low, sultry tone.

“Any time,” Tara replied, turning in Willow’s arms and kissing her gently.

“Yummy,” Willow sighed happily. “Speaking of yummy, do I smell cookies?”

“Uh huh,” Tara said, grinning crookedly.

“You,” Willow said, kissing her soundly. “Are too good to me. Did you sleep okay?”

“Like a log, until the baby decided I should watch the sun come up.”

Willow reached out a brushed Tara’s hair away from her forehead, a gesture so gentle and sweet, so rich with Willow’s love, that Tara felt tears prickle at the corners of her eyes.

“You take a nap later if you need to,” Willow said solemnly. “Okay?”

“Okay Mommy,” Tara teased.

“Darn tootin’ I’m Mommy, and Mommy says Mama must get her rest so that she and our baby will be healthy and strong.”

“You’re very sexy when you’re maternal,” Tara breathed, leaning in to give Willow a soft, long kiss.

“Why thank you,” Willow replied when they parted, giving Tara a second quick kiss. “Did I mention it smells great in here?”

“The cookies aren’t done yet, you know,” Tara teased. “I just put a tray in the oven but they’ve still got about seven minutes to cook.”

“Can’t a girl come into the kitchen to visit with her beautiful wife?”

“You mean your humungous wife?” Tara asked.

“None of that,” Willow said, reaching down to put both hands on Tara’s belly. “You’re not humungous, you’re gorgeous. You look beautiful carrying our baby, Tara.”

Willow bent over and planted a kiss on the top of Tara’s stomach and the blonde gave a delighted little shiver. The t-shirt she was wearing was nice and thin, so she could feel the warmth of Willow’s mouth pressed against her. Tara put a finger under her wife’s chin and tilted her head back up, pressing against her in a soft, passionate kiss. Willow’s hand moved around to Tara’s back, sweeping up and down, pulling her closer as their kiss deepened. Another spasm rippled across Tara’s stomach, followed by a strong kick from the baby. The combination left Tara gasping.

“Wow,” Willow said, taking a step back and putting her hands on Tara’s stomach again. “I felt that one. You okay?”

“I’m fine,” Tara said, pressing her hands on top of Willow’s.

“Maybe she wants a cookie,” Willow giggled.

“I think his mommy wants a cookie,” Tara replied. She looked over at the timer. “Three more minutes, and then two for cooling. Can you last five minutes?”

“Only four if I have milk.”

“Willow,” Tara laughed, giving her a gentle swat. “I don’t want you to burn yourself on a cookie.”

“But there’s dough in the fridge, right?” Willow asked, waggling her eyebrows. “Delicious cookie dough made by my delicious wife?”

“It’s got raw egg in it,” Tara said sternly.

“That’s very true,” Willow replied, nodding thoughtfully. “Which is why you absolutely shouldn’t have any. Not good for the baby at all. But I will happily allow you to live vicariously through me while I eat some.”

Willow slipped around Tara and headed toward the fridge, but Tara caught her hand, pulling her up short.

“Please don’t, Will,” she said softly. “Remember last time you and Dawnie ate cookie dough and she got so sick? It’s just a few minutes more for the cookies to be done.” Before her redheaded love could begin to pout, Tara brought out the big guns. “Please?” She repeated, curling her hands up under her chin and batting her cerulean eyes. “For me?”

“You know I can’t say no to you,” Willow said. “And since I’m being so good, I think you should entertain me by opening a present.”

“A present?” Tara giggled, poking Willow gently. “I thought we were sticking to presents for Hanukkah this year, and that Yuletide would just be about you and me and the baby?”

“My present doesn’t officially align itself with any of the aforementioned holidays,” Willow said loftily, quickly dissolving into a silly grin. “Please baby?” She pleaded. “I know you’re gonna love it.”

“How can I say no when I’m depriving you of cookie dough?”

“Exactly,” Willow agreed. She took Tara’s hand and led her slowly out of the kitchen. “Do you want to come up, or do you want me to bring the present down?”

“I’ll go up,” Tara replied. “I’m just pregnant, that doesn’t mean I can’t climb up the stairs.”

“You’re sure?” Willow said.

“I’m sure,” Tara assured her.

When the walked into the living room they found Buffy sitting on the couch, leafing through a magazine.

“I see I’m not the only waiting for cookies,” Willow told the slayer teasingly.

“I can neither confirm or deny,” Buffy replied.

“Well, oh secretive-one,” Tara giggled. “Would you do us a favor? When the timer goes off would you pull the cookies out of the oven?”

“Sure. Where are you two off to?” Buffy said, lying the magazine down in her lap.

“Upstairs,” Willow replied.

“Pregnancy hormones kicking in again?”

“Buffy!” Tara cried, a blush spreading across her cheeks. “Willow wants to give me a present for the baby.”

“Whatever you say,” Buffy said, lifting her magazine again.

“Never mind her,” Willow said. Tara smiled when she pressed a soft kiss to her cheek. “Come upstairs and get your present.”

“Kay.”

Willow led Tara to the stairs and they walked up slowly, step by careful step. Willow supported Tara, holding one of her hands with the other pressed to the small of Tara’s back.

“I thought it was just one present?” Tara laughed, looking at the small pile of wrapped packages on the foot of their bed.

“It’s all part of the same present, there’s just more to open because opening the presents is the fun part.”

“Will you help me with the opening?” Tara asked, letting Willow hold her hands as she lowered herself onto the side of the bed.

“If you insist,” Willow replied eagerly.

Willow handed Tara a box and then dug into the presents, gleefully tearing paper. Tara couldn’t help but just watch her love for a moment, reveling in the childlike joy Willow had, even when she was opening packages she’d wrapped herself. The little redhead was almost done opening her package and so Tara tore the paper off the box in her hands. She sat the crumpled bundle aside and lifted the lid off the box. Underneath carefully folded white tissue paper, Tara found a tiny red velvet dress and a pair of candy-cane striped stockings.

“Oh Willow,” Tara said softly, “These are adorable.”

“And look, look,” Willow said eagerly, pulling open another box. “Aren’t these the cutest ever?” Willow set a pair of tiny, paten leather shoes on the bed, grinning from ear to ear. “Do you like it?” She asked eagerly, bouncing on the balls of her feet.

“They’re adorable,” Tara repeated, running a finger over the impossibly tiny newborn clothes, the little shoes. “But Will, your family is Jewish and we’re practicing Wiccans…aren’t candy canes pretty Christian?”

“Piffle,” Willow said, waving her hands. “Cute is non-denominational.”

“I don’t know if our little guy is going to want to wear stockings,” Tara teased, rubbing her belly after a strong kick near her ribs. Tara loved to tease her wife. From the moment they’d learned Tara was pregnant, Willow had insisted that their child was a daughter. Secretly Tara agreed, but she would never tell. “He seems to be protesting.”

“She is just excited because she likes her new outfit so much,” Willow replied, reaching out a hand to rub Tara’s stomach.

After a few gentle strokes, Willow began to touch Tara with both hands, long, soft caresses from the tops of her thighs all the way up to the soft swell of her breasts. Tara’s eyes drifted shut as she basked the in the warmth of Willow’s affection. She found herself rocking gently in the rhythm of Willow’ touch, swaying gently.

“You’re so beautiful, Tara,” Willow breathed.

Auburn hair tickled over Tara’s cheek as Willow leaned in and began to kiss her neck, nipping gently at her pulse point. She couldn’t hold back the soft moan that escaped her as one of Willow’s hands snuck up to brush her swollen breast.

“So beautiful,” Willow repeated.

“Oh Will,” Tara said breathlessly. She could feel heat moving through her body, her nipples harden. “Love you.”

“I love you too,” Willow replied. “I want to show you how much I love you.”

“Please,” Tara groaned, pressing her hands behind Willow’s head to bring her in for a passionate kiss.

Willow’s hand brushed her breast again and Tara arched against her, just as the sound of the kitchen timer rang through the house.

“Tara,” Buffy called. “Your cookies are done. Tell Willow if she doesn't come down I’m going to eat them!”

“I don’t care about cookies,” Willow whispered, sucking Tara’s earlobe into her mouth.

Another Braxton Hicks contraction rolled across Tara’s back, over her stomach, the strongest that she’d had so far that morning. As soon as it passed she could feel the baby stir.

“Oh ouch,” she said, rubbing her belly.

“Baby,” Willow teased, “No kicking Mama while she’s trying to make out with Mommy.”

“It’s those Braxton Hicks contractions,” Tara said, reaching out to give Willow a little tickle. “There was no kicking.”

“That’s my well-behaved little princess,” Willow said, reaching out to stroke Tara’s belly.

“Or prince,” Tara teased.

“Nice try,” Willow laughed. “So, do you want to come downstairs with me for cookie goodness, or are you going to get a nap?”

“What happened to my kisses?”

“There will be more kisses after you get some rest,” Willow said firmly.

“And you get some cookies?”

“Maybe,” Willow said, sticking her tongue between her teeth as she grinned. The slender redhead hopped up and held out her hands, helping Tara get to her feet.

When they made it back downstairs they found the slayer had been true to her word, she was standing at the kitchen counter with a large glass of milk and her cheeks bulging with cookie.

“Delicious,” she said thickly.

“Cookie thief,” Willow said, reaching out and grabbing a sugary snowflake and taking a huge bite. “So yum!” She said ecstatically.

“You like them?” Tara asked, smiling when Willow and Buffy both nodded enthusiastically. “I’m glad. Don't eat too many though, Willow. Cookies aren’t a substitute for breakfast.”

“Yes Mama,” Willow said, stealing a gulp of Buffy’s milk.

Tara and Willow left Buffy in the kitchen and went out to sit in the living room. They cuddled together on the couch; Willow feeding Tara little bites of cookie and rubbing her very pregnant belly. After the cookie was gone they relaxed for a bit, just holding each other and enjoying the sound of birds calling outside. Their rest was interrupted when Willow remembered that her favorite holiday special was about to air on CBS.

“I’ll be right back,” Willow murmured, kissing Tara’s cheek and then dashing over to the TV set.

“I’m going to get a drink,” Tara said, pushing up off the sofa.

“Do you want me to get it, baby?” Willow asked, fiddling with the reception on the television.

“It’s okay,” Tara said. The moment she said the words another spasm rippled across her belly and Tara felt a flood of warmth between her legs. My water just broke. Tara realized with a little flutter of panic. Not Braxton Hicks. Not Braxton Hicks.

“Willow?” She asked in a shaky voice. “How do you feel about a solstice baby?”

“You know I love celebrating Yuletide with you, silly,” Willow replied, still fussing with the television. “We’ve got the log all ready. Just because I liked to watch the A Charlie Brown Christmas doesn’t mean I don’t like the solstice.”

“No,” Tara groaned, clutching the edge of the sofa for support. “How do you feel about us, having a baby, on the solstice?”

“What?!” Willow jumped to her feet and ran over to Tara, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. “The baby’s coming?”

“Yes,” Tara said, gritting her teeth as another contraction hit. “We’re having the baby. Ow!” She doubled over, only Willow’s strong grip kept her from falling. “I think I need to get back upstairs.”

“Of course, baby,” Willow said calmly. “I’ve got you. Buffy!” She hollered. “We need you.”

The slayer was out of the kitchen and in the living room in an instant, fists clenched and ready to fight whatever foe had presented itself. She scanned the living room and finally noticed Willow holding Tara upright, the blonde witch panting through a contraction.

“Oh, wow,” Buffy said.

“Can you help me get Tara upstairs?” Willow asked. “It’s time.”

“We’re going to meet baby Rosenberg?” Buffy asked, clearly delighted. “Awesome!” She jogged up to them and lifted Tara into her arms as easily as if she were lifting a little child. “Let’s get you upstairs, Mama.”

“Okay,” Tara panted. Through it all she kept a tight grip on Willow’s hand. “I’m ready.” I’m not ready, Tara thought shakily. Baby, coming, now.

Within minutes of Buffy carrying Tara upstairs, Willow had everything ready. Their bed was covered in a large swath of waterproofed cloth in a gorgeous evergreen, topped with some soft pale blue blankets they planned to throw away after the birth, placed there solely for Tara’s warmth and comfort as she delivered. A large absorbent pad was under the blankets, as an added layer of protection. Once the birthing space was set, Buffy sat Tara on the edge of the bed.

“I’ll call Anya and Xander,” she told the expectant mothers. “Anya will be right downstairs if you need her, okay?”

“Okay,” Tara said breathlessly. She and Willow had talked for a long time before making the final decision to birth together, at home. One big part of that choice had been the knowledge that Anya was an experienced midwife, and would be able to help them if there was any problem.

“You okay, baby?” Willow asked after Buffy left the room, taking Tara’s face in her hands and gently caressing her cheeks.

“I’m a little nervous,” Tara confessed, feeling teary.

“You’ll be fine. And if you change your mind and decide you want to go to the hospital, an ambulance can be here in less than four minutes.”

“You checked it?” Tara asked.

“Of course,” Willow replied with a blush.

“Oh how I love you,” Tara began as another contraction hit. “Oh, oh ouch.” She began to take slow cleansing breaths, letting her eyes drift shut as she worked through the contraction rippling across her belly.

“Good job,” Willow breathed, holding her hands.

Once the contraction passed, Willow helped Tara out of her clothes and under the blankets, rubbing a gentle hand over her belly.

“If you want to change positions you let me know, okay?”

Tara just nodded, focusing on relaxing her body. Come on my baby, she thought to her unborn child. We love you; we’re ready to meet you.

Fifteen minutes later Willow had helped Tara change position half a dozen times, left now on her hands and knees, she gasped as another contraction ripped through her, felt tears slip down her cheeks. She’d been in labor all morning and not known it, but now she just couldn’t get comfortable. Everything hurt. She felt her arms begin to tremble and realized she couldn’t hold herself up anymore.

“Baby,” Tara called, choking on a sob. “Help me, please.”

“Are you okay?” Willow asked urgently.

Tara felt Willow’s warm, strong arms wrap around her, let her wife hold her as she eased back into a sitting position on the bed.

“You okay?” Willow asked again, wiping tears from Tara’s face with utter tenderness.

“I don’t think I can do this, Will,” Tara said, sniffling. “I hurt everywhere, and I just can’t get comfortable.” Willow’s eyes widened and she broke out in a broad grin. “Why are you happy?” Tara cried, sobbing in earnest now. “I’m hurting.”

The smile vanished instantly. “Oh baby,” Willow said, pulling Tara into her arms and rocking her. “Baby, I’m not happy that you’re hurting. Don’t you realize what’s happening? You’re in transition baby. It’s totally normal, remember what we read? It means it’s almost time for the baby to be born.”

“Really?” Tara asked, clinging to her wife. “Oh, oh ow, ow,” she said as another contraction hit. As the contraction rolled over her she felt an immense pressure in her body. “Will,” she said, gasping for breath. “Will I want to push.”

“Wait just a second, okay baby?” Willow said. “You have to let me check to see if you’re fully dilated.”

Tara could only nod. Willow carefully moved the blankets around Tara’s body, slipping a slender hand between them. As Willow touched her Tara closed her eyes, there was nothing sexual in the moment, but the love and anticipation she could feel radiating from her lover was incredibly intense.

“Tare,” Willow said softly, “I can feel the baby’s head. There’s no more cervical lip. You can push whenever you want.” She looked up and Tara saw her wife’s eyes were filled with tears. “Love you so much, baby.”

“Love you too,” Tara said with a gasp, rocked by another contraction. Willow helped her up onto her knees and she began to breathe, steady and deep, bearing down.

“That was awesome,” Willow said, rubbing Tara’s back. “You’re doing so good, baby. I’m right here, Tara. I’m right here with you.”

“Love you, Willow,” Tara groaned, pushing with the next contraction.

The next few minutes passed in silence, but for Tara’s breathing and little gasps as she brought their baby into the world. Finally Willow said the words that set Tara trembling.

“Just one more push, love,” Willow encouraged, hands ready. “The baby’s almost here.”

Tara let out a tremendous cry with the next contraction, bearing down with all her might. After a few seconds she felt an amazing sense of release, and looked down to see Willow cradling their baby in her arms. The redhead quickly dipped into the baby’s mouth and nose with a bulb syringe, clearing out any mucus left from the birth. The baby let out a strong wail, curling its tiny fists next to its cheeks.

“Oh Tara,” Willow said, smiling at her with tears streaming down her face. “It’s a girl, she’s a girl, we have a daughter.”

“Hi baby girl,” Tara said, and she began to cry too. “She has your hair,” she laughed.

“She does,” Willow said, her voice choked with joy and wonder. She ran a gentle finger over the hint of red peach fuzz on her daughter’s head. “Two red haired girls for Mama.”

Once the baby and Tara were cleaned up and the placenta had passed, Willow got the baby weighed and dressed and into her bassinet. The baby yawned and gurgled while Willow helped Tara get dressed, stripping the bed down in a flash so that she could let her wife lay back down and rest.

“You feeling okay?” Willow asked, propping another pillow behind Tara’s back with one hand while she stroked her cheek with the other.

“I’m fine, love,” Tara replied, turning her head to kiss Willow’s palm. “Why don't you get the baby and climb in here with me, I want to be with both my girls.”

“Your girls,” Willow echoed, a delighted smile brightening her face. She walked around to the bassinet and lifted the baby with tender care, handing her to Tara before she moved onto the bed. “Do you think she’s hungry?”

“We can try it,” Tara said. She unbuttoned her pajama top and Willow placed their daughter into her arms. With just a tiny bit of coaxing she was able to get the baby latched on and eating away.

“That’s my girl,” Willow said softly, stroking the baby’s hair. “Tara look, look at what we did.”

“Yeah,” Tara said tearfully, reaching out to stroke Willow’s cheek. “She’s beautiful, just like her Mommy.”

“Like her Mama,” Willow corrected.

“I guess we should let the gang know that she’s here, and that she’s okay,” Tara said, watching the baby’s nursing slow as she began to doze.

“I’m sure Buffy heard her cry and let everybody know,” Willow replied, still transfixed.

“Well, all the more reason to introduce her to the family, right?” Tara asked kindly. The baby was sleeping now. When her mouth slipped off Tara’s nipple she buttoned her shirt again, moving the baby onto her shoulder to pat her gently on the back.

“I’ll be right back,” Willow promised. She kissed Tara and the baby and ran from the room. Tara laughed aloud as she heard her wife pound down the stairs, crying out an announcement that filled the whole house.

“It’s a girl, and she’s got red hair!”

In an instant Willow was back, followed quickly by Buffy, Dawn, Xander, Anya, and Giles. They all gave their congratulations, kissing Tara’s cheek, the top of her head, and cooing at the baby, who was still dozing peacefully, swaddled in cream-colored blankets.

“I think she looks like a Xita,” Anya said thoughtfully, tilting her head at the adorable bundle in Tara’s arms.

“Xita?” Buffy snorted.

“I’ll have you know that one of my dear friends was named Xita.” Anya said, bristling. “She was a very sweet girl, from Malta. Well, when I met her she was a very sweet vengeance demon, but never mind that. It means rainfall. I think it’s pretty.”

“Xita,” Buffy repeated. “You might as well name her Foomatic after my blender.”

“Or Cajun,” Dawn laughed. “I love Cajun food. Ooh, but make it Kajun with a K,” the teen said eagerly. “K’s are trendy.”

“Oh, or you could use your gmail address, Willster,” Xander chuckled. “Doesn’t she look like a Willowtree252?”

“That’s fine, make fun,” Anya pouted, smacking at her husband. “I was trying to be nice and help them with a name because Tara was sure that they were having a boy.”

“We already have a name picked,” Willow said softly, reaching out to stroke the baby’s cheek. “You already have a name, don't you baby girl,” she said softly. “We picked a boy name too, but I knew we wouldn’t need it.”

Tara smiled at her wife, who was staring down at their daughter, utterly entranced. She knew that nothing the gang did, no quibbles or fussing, could possible distract her from their miracle.

“So what’s her name?” Xander asked.

“Maggie,” Willow replied, smiling at Tara. “Her name’s Maggie.”

“Maggie Joyce,” Tara said, squeezing Willow’s hand and then smiling up at Buffy. “After my mother, and yours, Buffy.”

“The two best moms we’ve ever known,” Willow said.

“Oh guys,” the slayer said, bursting into tears. “Really? Maggie Joyce?”

“Really,” Tara and Willow said together.

The Scoobies fawned over the baby, wondering at tiny fingers and toes, until little Maggie dozed off and Willow and Tara were yawning away. Taking that as their cue to leave, Buffy excused the gang, saying they should let the new little family get some rest. When the door to their room closed, Willow took the baby and laid her in the bassinet next to Tara’s side of the bed, and then crawled in next to her wife, snuggling close. Tara had never felt such joy before, and knew that Willow could feel the waves of love and devotion she sent to her, because she felt the same echoed back from her wife.

“Tara,” Willow said softly as they drifted toward sleep.

“Yes love?”

“Thank you for my Yuletide present.”

“Best Yuletide ever,” Tara agreed, hugging Willow with one arm, while she reached into the bassinet with the other, felt the gentle rise and fall of her daughter breathing. “Best Yuletide ever.”

As the world rolled back toward long days of light, the family drifted into sleep.

Last edited by LonelyTara on Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:15 pm, edited 9 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:17 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Robin...

That was *perfect*. That was so amazing. There's nothing better than a holiday baby!

And I *loved* *loved* *loved* how you included the mod names :p Too funny!

I know I shouldn't really judge before I've read all the entries, but I'm pretty confident you'll be getting my vote for this!

So perfectly sweeet!

PS dibs.

Check out my finished fics

Love, The SeriesTwo For Joy/21+/Joy To The WorldInevitable/Infinitely

Confidential EternalA Twisted DateDachsund Through The Snow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:47 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Wow. Two fics already.

Laragh: I loved your fic. At first I laughed when the kid kicked Willow, simply because her line was so cute. However then it got less funny. :happy Still Willow got to meet Tara so she should probably send the kid a thank you card. :p

LonelyTara: Great fic. I love Baby fics. And having Willow deliver the baby was a new twist, although I do think she should have at least had a midwife to supervise.

I can already see I'll have a hard time voting. I'm looking forward to the headache. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:01 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Nevermind. See original post.

Kisses and Gay Love

Last edited by Foomatic on Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:31 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Topics: 6
Wow! Great fics! I love love loved them.
To Laragh: what is better to remedy a stubborn cold than some W/T fluff?
To LonelyTara: Okay, so maybe W/T babies are good for that too! :p

Since I've been on the kitten, there weren't any new challenges, so I'm really psyched that there is one now! Big thanks to the mods for creating this challenge.

Lastly, I had a question: do you have of highlight the requirements for this fic in any way? I noticed the previous authors did so, but I kinda like it more if the reader has to discover it him/herself.

Thanks! :kitty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:47 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

DameSansMerci:

There is no specific word count or character requirement. It can be as long as you like, given that it is completed in its entirety in one post. If it's so long that you need to break it into separate posts, that's okay, as long as the fic is complete.

Mrs. Pineapple:

Traditionally, from past challenges, the requirements of the fic challenge do not need to be highlighted. I feel that it works best if the requirements blend in and are an organic part of the fic. Part of the fun is discovering them as you read! I also trust that all our authors will include all the elements to fulfill the challenge. I will make it optional and leave it up to the discretion of the author.

Kisses and Gay Love

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:29 pm 

Larah: Aww, that was so sweet and adorable! They're so cute - Willow with her loathed elf clothes was especially cute! Love it!

LonelyTara: You already know that I love this and I'm completely blown away that you named their baby after me! (and Tara's mom! I missed that the first time!!!) Thank you so much! Buffy and Willow fighting over the cookies might be my favorite part! But I'm completely loved the entire thing!

Last edited by leonhart17 on Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:31 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

DameSansMerci wrote:
Foo, I've got a question for you! (hehe...that rhymes). Do you happen to know about how many characters or words are allowed in one post? Just so I can gauge my story length? Thanks!

Laragh--I'm about halfway through your story, and I'm loving it! You've got great character development for your alternative universe! Great job!

I am not sure if you were asking about the length requirement of the challenge or how many characters the board allows per post. I can answer the latter, the board's maximum character count for one post is 63536. Anything larger than that would have to be broken up in two posts.

Last edited by xita on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:36 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

I'm flip flopping more than a fish out of water today. After some discussion with the mods, I have slightly adjusted the challenge requirements. Be sure to check the original post before posting your story. Sorry for the confusion! You may return to your regularly scheduled festivities.

Kisses and Gay Love

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:36 am 
4. Extra Flamey

TITLE: Home for Christmas.

AUTHOR: Wayland

RATING: PG-13

DISCLAIMER: Willow, Tara and any other characters from the Buffy the Vampire Slayer franchise belong to Joss Whedon, FOX and ME.

SUMMARY: Willow is heading home for the holidays...

SPOILERS: None really. A few years on from mid Season Six.

NOTES: Thanks to my beta, Vivienne. This is my first fic. Time to grasp the nettle…

Willow Rosenberg pressed her nose against the airplane window and watched the snowflakes settle in its curve. She sighed happily, her panic of hours earlier now completely gone. When she had called home, Buffy had answered and told her of the gathering blizzard in her hometown. Snow was not exactly typical weather for Southern California, but that was not what had troubled her. It was doubtless some kind of demony event. Growing up on the Hellmouth had made Willow pretty sanguine in the face of things freakish and unnatural. And besides, Buffy hadn’t sounded worried.

‘It’s probably just that Fimbles lot again. No big.’

What had caused Willow to spend hours that morning frantically pacing the departure lounge of San Francisco Airport, was the idea that the unseasonal storm might lead to the cancellation of her flight. The thought of missing her first Christmas with Tara in their new home was….unthinkable. The business trip had been challenging and exciting and Willow felt that she had done well. But it was the longest time that she and Tara had spent apart since…since a very long time. Willow was desperate to get home.

As the plane taxied slowly towards the blurry ‘Welcome to Sunnydale Airport’ sign, Willow finally relaxed. Swirls of snow hovered above the runway. Demony origin or not, it was just so pretty.

‘Wow. This is some weather. Ought to make the record books’

Willow turned and smiled at the middle-aged man in the seat next to her. She didn’t contradict him, although she knew that unusual events in Sunnydale somehow never did make the news.

‘Yup.’ was her less than articulate reply. Willow beamed at her travelling companion. The small, shy, man smiled back, a little overwhelmed by her enthusiasm. When the businessman had first offered her a ride home from Sunnydale Airport, soon after they’d taken off, she had felt a little guilty. It would be out of his way, and he had a family eagerly awaiting him at home. But after spending the entire flight listening to every detail of every feature of his new four-wheel-drive truck, (with complimentary snow chains in the trunk and a mini ice pick mounted on the dash board), Willow felt that she had earned the lift.

The fasten seat belts sign switched off with a ping and Willow quickly gathered up her bags.

Giles’ flight from London had landed safely six hours earlier and he had driven to the Summers’ house and collected Buffy and Dawn without incident. Xander’s car was in the shop, but a brief detour by the Englishman to his and Anya’s apartment had ensured that the whole gang arrived on time for pre-Christmas lunch at Willow and Tara’s cosy new home.

By the time Willow had waved off her ride with a cheerful ‘Happy holidays’ and waded up the snow filled driveway, the door was opened and she found herself engulfed in a series of hugs. Tara had met her with a brief kiss on the cheek and a quiet ‘Welcome home, baby,’ before stepping back to allow the louder greetings of their friends.

Surprisingly, Anya was the first to embrace her. The ex-demon was wearing candy striped stockings, a red tunic with a large green bow, a stick-on red nose and what looked very much like a pair of bunny ears. However, with maturity had come wisdom and Willow kept that thought to herself.

‘I’m Rudolf.’ Anya stated flatly. ‘Dressing in costume increases sales turnover by an average 4.2%. Seasonally adjusted, of course.’ Behind her, Xander was scratching at a patch of white cotton ball that was stuck to his jaw.

‘Good to see you, Will.’

‘Glad you’re back, Willow.’ Buffy chimed in, and Willow smiled at her two oldest friends. Then they both moved aside, revealing a man in tweed.

Giles was still Giles. A little older, a little greyer, but still Giles.

‘I can’t believe it’s been almost two years.’

He smiled, holding her gently in his arms and examining her face with the affectionate care of a father.

‘Yes, tempus fugit indeed.’

Dawn interrupted the moment with a squeal as she poked into the bags Willow had dumped on the hall floor.

‘Presents!’

Tara gently swatted her away and pointed to the tiny dining room.

‘Time to eat.’

Lunch had been a noisy affair, a little cramped, but a lot of fun. The room was decorated beautifully, the food was delicious and Willow had enjoyed watching Tara at the head of the table. She was aware of the hint of nervousness that lay beneath her partner’s calm demeanour, even if no one else saw it. This was their first attempt at entertaining in their new home and Tara had spent all week preparing.

Two hours later, Willow’s mood was less than festive. She stomped back into the house, shedding her dripping gloves and scarf onto the coat stand. Her feet were freezing and she couldn’t feel her nose. Despite repeated attempts and the helpful suggestions of all concerned, Giles’ rental car would not start. Anya had gone back inside earlier, claiming that the duty of care in this instance belonged with the rental company and that she, as a representative of the aggrieved customer, would seek redress. Willow arrived indoors in time to hear a muted crash as the ex-demon set the phone back in its cradle. Apparently, Sunnydale airport was now closed and so too, were the car rental offices. Cold air whistled into the house as the rest of the group assembled in the hall.

‘Hey, we can have a slumber party!’ Dawn clapped her hands, looking more like a ten year old than the college freshman she really was. Giles was beginning to show the effects of jetlag. His muttered, ‘Indeed,’ sounded rather crisp.

Willow brought a stack of plates out to the kitchen where Tara was loading the dishwasher. Her girlfriend took them from her, with a smile.

‘Maybe they could walk? We aren’t that far from the start of Revello Drive.’

Tara frowned. ‘In good weather, sure, but in this? It is a long and winding road.’

Willow felt a little ashamed of her suggestion. But only a little.

The numerous cab companies that Willow called all laughed at the idea of sending a car. At least, those few that answered the phone did. Anya was starting to look depressed at the failure of the market to meet supplier demand. She had removed her red nose. At Willow’s urging, Xander called the garage where his car was being serviced, but got no answer. It seemed that mechanics did not work on Christmas Eve either. Willow wondered, darkly, if Sunnydale Police Department was also closed. She could commit mass murder and get clean away with it. At least until after the holidays. Willow scanned the room, looking at her friends, her family. Xander was on the couch, rubbing his belly and complaining that he was too full to move. His wife stroked his head absently, absorbed in a local television report on the effect of the ‘recent cold snap’ on retail trade. Buffy and Dawn were bickering amiably about the cashmere sweater the younger girl was wearing. Apparently Dawn had considered it a permanent loan, since Buffy would hardly get to use it in Sunnydale. Buffy was gesturing to the falling snow, visible through the windows, with a ‘Duh!’ expression. Giles was examining the original tiling around the fireplace, with apparent interest, his glasses dangling from one hand as the other traced the design. She loved them all dearly, even Anya. She wanted to spend time with them. Truly. Just not tonight.

Willow entered the kitchen silently. Tara was at the counter, mixing butter, flour and chocolate in a large bowl, preparing the homemade brownies she had promised to bring to Buffy’s the following evening. Willow smiled, and tried to keep the pout off her face. It wasn’t so difficult, not when she could lean against the wall and watch her girlfriend working. A lock of Tara’s hair fell onto her forehead and she tried, unsuccessfully, to blow it away, with a vigorous puff.

‘Hey, you.’

Willow stepped closer and tucked the hair behind an elegant ear, which she then kissed lightly. She wrapped her arms around Tara’s waist and pressed her cheek into her shoulder. Still, she couldn’t help the hint of petulance that shaded her voice.

‘I don’t want a slumber party.’

Willow had spent the last week, alone in her hotel room, imagining this evening. She had pictured her and Tara enjoying a light supper by candlelight, an old movie and …a little fooling around.

‘I want. You. Me. Us. A little foo…’

‘What’s foo?’

Willow jerked away from her girlfriend at the crashing sound of Buffy, entering the kitchen. She winced as the door bounced off the newly painted wall. Must buy one of those little rubber skirting board protectors, Willow thought bizarrely, her brain racing as her mouth produced only one, slow, word.

‘What?’

‘What’s foo? I’m starving, Tara. Any of that pie left?’

Buffy already had the fridge door open and was foraging through the contents. Willow found herself paralysed, her gaze fixed on the bobbing back of her friend. Dimly, she felt Tara stroke her arm.

‘So who’s Foo?’

Dawn was now leaning next to her sister, in front of the fridge and fruitlessly trying to push her aside.

‘What?’

‘I said, who’s Foo?’

The teenager repeated, looking up and wiping a smear of chocolate sauce from her chin as she did so.

‘God, I love those movies.’

A deep voice brought Willow’s attention back to the doorway.

‘What?’

Willow wondered if she might, in fact, be broken. She couldn’t seem to string two words together, let alone an actual sentence. Xander seemed surprised at her response.

‘Fu Manchu,’ he answered, as if it were obvious.

‘And which is your preference, Boris Karloff or Christopher Lee?’

Somehow, Giles had entered the kitchen too, and was calmly rinsing his tea cup under the tap.

‘Of course, he is one of the earliest known examples of the supervillain, or Big Bad, if you will. Fascinating.’

A short, respectful silence greeted that rarest of birds, a Harris-Giles Agreement.

‘Hey, maybe we can catch one of the classics on cable!’

‘You have cable?’

Giles directed the question at Willow, assuming, correctly, that in this household she was the expert on all things technical.

Willow nodded, weakly.

‘Excellent.’

Giles placed his cup and saucer carefully, upside down on the draining board and followed Xander into the living room. Buffy and Dawn went after them, squabbling over who had dibs on the last piece of pie.

Tara reached into the mixing bowl, scooped up a tiny cube of butter with her index finger and dabbed it on Willow’s nose with a sweet, quizzical, smile.

‘Foo?’

Willow wanted to cry.

The light was starting to fade already, it would be dark soon, Willow thought. She stood at the living room window, her arms wrapped around her body, looking out across Mr Benson’s lawn, at the pristine surface of unmarked snow. He was the elderly gentleman in the house next door. He lived alone and never failed to exchange friendly greetings whenever her saw either of his new young neighbours. Willow remembered him calling by the previous week, just before her trip, to say that he would be spending the holidays with his son’s family in Florida.

The perfect white surface brought back bittersweet memories. She and Tara, lying side by side on their backs, making snow angels. Willow sighed. Her girlfriend was taking the intrusion of their guests calmly. A little too calmly for Willow’s liking. A sudden warm feeling at her side pulled her attention from the window. Tara.

‘What do you see?’

Willow looked back again, to her neighbour’s driveway. She spoke tonelessly, ‘Mr Benson’s truck.’

‘Yes, Mr Benson’s truck.’

Tara was doing that enigmatic thing that always drove her crazy. Only, normally, it was in a good way.

‘And?’ Willow heard the snappish tone in her voice, with regret. This wasn’t the way this evening was meant to go.

‘And now, what do you see?’

Willow heard a soft jingle and turned. Tara was holding something up to the light, pinched between her thumb and forefinger. Something shiny. Willow squinted, puzzled. Tara smiled, a little smugly and shook her hand, making that jingly noise again. Willow just stared. Tara leaned in and whispered softly in her ear, making Willow shiver.

‘The keys to Mr Benson’s truck.’

‘The keys to Mr Benson’s truck.’ Willow repeated, in confusion. Then, with a wide smile, ‘The keys to Mr Benson’s truck.’

Tara grinned.

‘He said we could use it, over the holidays, in case of emergency.’

‘And this is definitely an emergency…’ Willow chimed in.

Tara nodded, her face a picture of mischievous solemnity.

‘Oh, definitely.’

Willow slammed the door shut and pressed her back against it, her eyes closed. For one, heart-stopping moment, she had been convinced that the truck would not start, but Mr Benson was a careful man and his well-maintained vehicle had fired on the first turn of the key. She and Tara had waved goodbye to their friends, Xander and Anya in the front of the truck, Buffy, Dawn and Giles squashed in behind. They had watched the red tail lights disappear into the whirling snow and then, wordlessly, they had dashed back inside, back into the heated interior of their home. Willow took a deep breath. She wasn’t dreaming. They really were gone. And she was here. With Tara. Alone. She took another breath.

‘Amazing. Wonderful. Fantastic. Supertastic…Sublime-atic…’

Finally, she opened her eyes and was met by a gaze of intense blue, fixed on her. Willow stopped talking. A wave of warmth spread, tingling, through her body.

Tara raised one eyebrow, her lips twitched with the beginnings of a smile.

‘Or maybe…foo-matic?’

Willow took a step forward, on wobbly legs, her arms lifting from her sides.

‘Oh, definitely.’

Last edited by wayland on Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:03 pm 

Aw, poor Willow needs some lovin'. And poor us that we didn't get to see them have a proper reunion. ;-)

Lots of fun and funny moments with the whole "Foo" fiasco. Favorite lines:

Quote:
Anya was starting to look depressed at the failure of the market to meet supplier demand.

LOL. Anya knows the heart of the small business owner!

Quote:
Tara nodded, her face a picture of mischievous solemnity. ‘Oh, definitely.’
:blush :blush :blush Gotta love that Tara...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:07 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Topics: 2
Wayland,

This is dear, charming, funny, and full of romance and joy!

You really met the challenge beautifully, the story flowed - also loved spot-on characterizations. Nice to see Anya in costume, nicest to see our girls loving each other. Amazing use of Foomatic, think you deserve a prize for that one!

That bar just keeps getting higher with so many literary kittens :kgeek

Thanks for adding your joy and talent to the holiday recipe!

Ariel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:28 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

wayland -

Major props. This was great. Just superb.

Romantic and sweet and just - ah, it warmed my heart :)

Great use of Foomatic too!

I'm so happy to see more contributions coming in, this is gonna be a great challenge!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:24 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Oh, this is such fun. I don't know if I'm gonna be able to vote, when I want them all to win. Maybe I'll even try my hand at this, if inspiration strikes.

My heart and I have wandered aimlessly beneath the Weeping Willows, searching for the sun. - Hayley Westenra, "My heart and I"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:02 pm 

Hey Kittens, as promised, here is my second fic. I hope you'll enjoy.

Author: LonelyTara

Summary: A Christmas miracle brings two lovers back together.

Disclaimer: BtVS belongs to Joss Whedon, ME, and Fox. Please don’t sue.

Rating: PG to PG-13

In From the Cold

She didn’t know how long she’d wandered. When she’d fled her father’s house the sun was lost behind a sky thick with gray, which had quickly given way to flurries of clinging snow. As the sun dropped below the mountain line, the snow grew heavier and heavier, till she was left slogging through drifts up to her knees. She couldn’t feel her feet anymore, and she was tired, so tired.

“Merry Christmas,” she murmured to herself, her voice sucked away by the howl of the wind. “Keep moving, Tara.”

The shivering girl pushed one step after the other, praying to all the gods and goddesses that she knew for some shelter from the cold. With every step she took, Tara counted in her head, a silent tally of her weariness and woe. And when she took her forty-seventh step, the world changed.

It was almost as if her prayers had been heard. The snow began to thin, soften, revealing the thick spread of evergreens all around her. The trees parted into a glade, and on the far side there was a small wooden structure.

Cabin, Tara’s weary mind provided. Shelter. She walked across the glade. She could see snow clinging against a small windowpane set in the sidewall of the cabin, fragile and glimmering with its coat of frost. Just a little bit farther, Tara thought to herself.

There was a flash of red and Tara’s heart leapt. Fire, she thought to herself. Fire and warmth. She moved closer to the rough little cabin, closer, till she was pressed right up against the bark of the pine timbers. She looked through the window and saw several candles, flickering dimly around the room. But there was a fire, she thought. I know I saw a fire. And then she saw the girl.

The fire was the girl, and the girl was the fire, auburn hair flying as the girl danced in the flickering shadows cast by the candles. Every movement of her body seemed an amazing blend of purpose and instinct, immeasurable in its elegance.

Beautiful, Tara thought. Her chest tightened almost painfully. So beautiful.

In that moment Tara felt it would be okay if she died there, in the snow, because she had seen a sacred thing. A thing of such grace that she knew her heart would keep it safe forever.

The instant she had the thought the red haired girl stopped dancing. She stood, facing the window, locked eye to eye with Tara.

Tara tensed, thought about running back out into the snow, into the dark and her loneliness, but she couldn’t move. The pressure, the heat, of the dancing girl’s gaze kept her locked to the spot.

‘Don’t go,’ the girl mouthed. ‘Please don’t go.’

Tara could only nod.

In an instant the girl was standing next to her in the snow, shivering in dark trousers and a thick, hand-knit, cream-colored sweater. She held out alabaster hands and Tara raised her own to meet them, let the girl’s supple, warm fingers wrap around her own.

“I’ve been waiting for you,” the red haired girl whispered. Her voice was high, sweet. “Please, come inside. You must be freezing.”

Tara didn’t understand, but she nodded, entranced by the beautiful young woman. The dancer led Tara through the snow, into the candlelight-kissed shadows of the cabin. As soon as they stepped inside Tara felt her hands squeezed gently, and then released. She watched, feeling numb, almost dreamy, as the girl barred the door with a thick oaken plank. With that task done, she dashed across the room light as air, perched on her tiptoes, to snag a blanket that she wrapped with tender care around Tara’s shoulders.

“You were w-waiting for me?” Tara asked softly, pulling the blanket more tightly around her herself. She stared down at the rough unfinished plank floor of the cabin.

“I’ve been waiting for you for years, Tara,” the dancer replied softly.

Tara felt a delicate hand run over her cheek, under her chin, gently tilting her head back till she was looking the dancing girl in the eye. In her green eyes, rich as summer grass.

“Willow?” Tara asked plaintively, her voice cracking with emotion.

“Yes,” the red haired dancer replied, beaming. “I’m Willow.”

How can she be Willow? Tara looked at the vision of supple grace in front of her, confident and beaming, and tried to reconcile her with the memory of her first and only love. She and Willow Rosenberg had been gangly girls together, neighbors, best friends and then girlfriends. They had been outcasts together, with Willow’s shy awkwardness matched by Tara’s nervous stutter. Twelve years, Tara thought. She reached out and brought a shaking hand to Willow’s cheek. Willow’s eyes closed as she smiled and leaned into the touch. The girl I loved is a woman, and I love her just the same. Each second of those twelve years have made her so much more beautiful. Tara wished she could say the same for herself.

“I wrote every day for fourteen months,” Willow said. There was no recrimination in her voice, but her smile was sad. “They always came back.”

“My father, Tara replied. “He wouldn’t let me keep them.”

“I understand.” Willow nodded, and even that tiny movement had a poetry to it, her neck bowing and extending like a swan.

“W-What happened to you?” Tara asked softly, stroking Willow’s cheek.

Willow reached up and took Tara’s hand, squeezing it gently and pressing it to her heart.

“I’ll tell you, I promise,” she vowed. “But first we need to get you warmed up.” Willow walked over toward the center of the field of candles, where a long, low couch, thick with cushions, sat with more blankets folded over the back of it.

She helped Tara settle onto the sofa, piling more blankets around her shoulders. When that was done, she slipped Tara’s boots off, revealing snow-dampened socks beneath.

“You don’t have to do that,” Tara said as Willow peeled off each sock. Her feet were white, the edges of her toenails purple-blue with cold.

“Shush,” Willow soothed. “Think warm thoughts.” She took a blanket and began to gently rub heat and life back into Tara’s feet. The blonde gasped as pins and needles shot from her knees to her toes. “I’m sorry, I know it must hurt,” Willow murmured.

“No,” Tara said, reaching out from under the blankets to squeeze Willow’s shoulder. “No, it’s all right. Thank you, Willow.”

They sat in silence, for how long Tara couldn’t say. When Willow finished warming Tara’s feet she left them wrapped in a blanket, moving on to gently rub Tara’s hands. The heat and Willow’s gentle caresses left Tara feeling drowsy, feeling safe for the first time in a long time. Her eyes drifted shut for a moment, snapping back open as Willow began to speak.

“When Mom and Dad…when their plane went down,” Willow said, her voice thick with emotion, “And social services took me, I was sent to live with Rosalie, my father’s sister.” She paused, stroking from Tara’s wrists to the tips of her fingers, gentle and sure. “She’s a dancer. She did ballet as a girl, but then she switched to modern.”

“She taught you,” Tara said. She couldn’t help but admire the slender woman’s toned frame.

Willow nodded, smiling, still staring down at Tara’s hands. “Of course I thought I would be terrible, I was so clumsy. But Aunt Rosalie was patient, and before I knew it, I found this other Willow hidden in me.

“Like the crystal in a geode,” Tara murmured. “Bright and beautiful.”

Willow blushed, finally looking up at Tara. She smiled when she met Tara’s eyes, and it was breathtaking.

“I can’t imagine not dancing. I went to Julliard—can you believe it? I work with a dance company back in New York. It’s wonderful.”

“New York?” Tara asked. The redhead’s admission brought the strangeness of the situation crashing back home. Willow lived in New York, but here they were, together, in an isolated track of forest in eastern Oregon. “How did you get here?” She whispered. “How did you know where to find me?”

Willow just watched her for a moment, a little smile curving her beautiful lips. Her smile widened and she lifted Tara’s hands to her mouth, pressing a gentle kiss to her fingers.

“I want to tell you,” Willow replied, but let me show you something first?”

She nodded and Willow stood. She moved out of the candlelight, into one of the darkened corners of the cabin, and returned with a little cotton-wrapped bundle held in her arms. A few steps brought her back to the couch and Willow dropped her knees in front of Tara, holding out her hands, resting them lightly in Tara’s lap.

Tara peeled back the layers of fabric, revealing a cloth doll. She wore a white pinafore dress with candy-cane striped stockings, legs capped with little knitted booties made of white yarn. There was a line red line of stitching on her face, curved in a crooked smile, and her eyes were blue buttons, sapphire bright. The finishing touch was a wealth of honey-gold yarn hair, pulled into pigtails.

“You kept her?” Tara breathed, reached out with a shaking hand to trace the hand-stitched smile.

“Of course I kept my Tara doll,” Willow replied. “Your mother made her, and it was the last thing you gave to me, before—”

“Before you had to go away,” Tara finished softly.

“Yes,” Willow agreed, voice laced with regret. She laid the doll down on the couch next to Tara’s leg and took hold of Tara’s hands again, cradling them between her own. “I didn’t want to leave you.”

“I know,” Tara whispered. She felt a tear well, slide down her cheek.

The day of the funeral, the day they put Willow’s family in the earth, social services came to take her into custody. Tara’s mother, the reps from DCF, had to literally pull the weeping girls apart, both thrashing and screaming as they cried out for one another, to be allowed to stay together.

“I used to hold that doll every night to get to sleep,” Willow murmured, running her thumbs over Tara’s knuckles in slow, gentle sweeps. “And every night I dreamed of you, Tara. I saw you at school, taking walks in the woods, hiding out in our old fort to read. There were times I felt like I was close enough to touch you.” She squeezed Tara’s hands gently, as if assuring herself the blonde was really there. “I tried to talk to you, but you never heard me.”

“No I did,” Tara replied. She slipped her hands free of Willow’s and took the redhead’s face in my hands. “I heard your voice every night when I slept. It made me feel safe, Willow. It made me feel like I wasn’t alone.” She learned forward and placed a gentle kiss on the girl’s forehead, pulling her into a hug. “I thought about you every day.”

The slender girl began to tremble in Tara’s arms. “Did you stop thinking of me?” Willow breathed tearfully. “Is that why the dreams stopped?”

“N-No,” Tara said shakily. She leaned out of their embrace and took Willow’s face in her hands again. “No,” her voice was firm, earnest. “I stopped hoping, Willow. After M-Mom died, and I was left with Dad and Donny, I just stopped hoping.” She took a deep breath, forced herself to keep her head up, to keep her eyes on Willow. “Before three nights ago I hadn’t dreamed in years. I thought I was going to die in that place.”

“But Monday night,” Willow said, reaching out to smooth a piece of the doll’s yarn hair in place. “Monday night you dreamed?”

“I did,” Tara replied, nodding. She felt a blush creep into her cheeks and dropped her gaze to the floor. “I dreamed of you,” she whispered. She’d dreamed of their first kiss, the sweet and tender warmth of it, sheltered in their fort in the old oak tree on the back of her parents’ farm.

“I think I saw it, Tara,” Willow said, her voice laced with wonder. “When I went to sleep that night I dreamed of you, of us.” A flush brightened her cheeks—clear even in the candlelight. “The day you kissed me in the fort.”

“How is that possible?” Tara asked. “How could you know?”

“Rosalie’s gone,” Willow said. Tara’s brow furrowed in confusion, but she didn’t interrupt, trusting that Willow would explain. “She’s going to teach for a few weeks at a school in Paris, and so we got together on Monday to celebrate the solstice—” Willow’s lips quirked in a wry grin. “She doesn’t do Hanukkah. We usually just have a meal together, but this year she brought me a present.” Her lovely eyes slipped from Tara’s, down to the doll lying on the couch.

“The doll?” Tara asked.

Willow nodded, smiling, still staring down at it. “I just moved into my own place six months ago, to be closer to the studio. I accidentally left her behind. Aunt Rosalie found her sitting on the dresser in my old room, and so she decided to give her to me.”

“That was sweet of her,” Tara said.

“She called it the gift of memory,” Willow replied. “And that night, I don’t know what possessed me, but I took the doll to bed with me, just like I did when I was little.”

“And you dreamed?” Tara asked. Her heart was pounding. “You dreamed of me?”

“We dreamed,” Willow corrected. “Of us.” She squeezed Tara’s hands. “I knew I had to come home. When I woke up the next morning I got the first flight into Oregon. I knew I had to find you, that you were waiting.”

Tara felt dizzy. The heat of and the weight of the blankets were too much with the confusion and excitement coursing through her. She slipped her hands free of Willow’s and pushed the blankets off, then reached out again, pulling the redhead up to sit next to her on the couch.

“How did you end up here?”

“This was my dad’s fishing cabin,” Willow said. “There’s a lake about ten minutes hike from here. He used to take me in the summertime, remember?” She asked, giving a little chuckle. “When he caught a fish I always used to cry, it was so sad to see them all floppy and gasping, and so he’d just let them go.”

“He was a sweet man,” Tara replied. Willow’s father had been a little, balding bundle of energy, always ready to offer a hug or a tell a bedtime story.

“I wanted to feel close to them,” Willow told her, leaning against Tara so that their cheeks touched. The redhead smelled wonderful, a heady blend of mint and strawberries. “And I was going to go to the farm first thing in the morning, so it made good sense—the cabin’s only about thirty minutes away by car.”

Willow gave a little start, sitting up to look at the blonde. “My god, that means you were trudging through the snow for hours. Tara, what were you thinking? You could’ve died out there.”

“I couldn’t take anymore,” Tara said.

For the first time since her mother’s death, since her father burned all the notebooks she wrote in, Tara told a story. She told Willow of the deepening of her father and brother’s cruelty after her mother’s death. Of being forced to sacrifice a full scholarship to Linfield College to take care of two men who saw her as a servant, not as a part of their family. It was a terrible tapestry of wasted years, of loneliness and silence.

She fell quiet, blushing, shaking her head with shame and frustration. Tara felt like such a fool, especially sitting sheltered in the warmth of this lovely woman, who had pursued her dreams with such success.

As if she could hear her, Willow draped an arm over Tara’s shoulders. “It’s never too late, Tare. Please, just talk to me.”

Tara smiled at the sound of her old pet name. “I don’t know. After I dreamed of you, it finally hit me, I guess. I realized how much I’d given up.”

She took another deep shuddering breath. Giving secrets away; pouring her them from her heart like water, made her feel lighter, feel free. Tara looked at Willow, the light shining from those gorgeous eyes, the gentle curve of smile. Suddenly Tara felt like she was back in the old fort with Willow, she had to fight the urge to check them both for skinned knees. Maybe she was still her Willow. I want to kiss her, Tara thought.

“You okay?” Willow asked.

Tara nodded, tried to put the thought of kissing the beautiful woman next to her into the back of her mind.

“Tonight when they went to sleep, I left,” she whispered. “I couldn’t take the truck, it’s in my father’s name, so I was going to walk out to the highway, try to catch a bus. I got turned around.” I got lost, she thought. For so long.

“I want you to come back to New York with me.”

Willow said it so softly at first that Tara wasn’t sure what she’d heard. But then the slender redhead said it again, loud and clear, staring into Tara’s eyes.

“Come back to New York with me.”

“W-Willow,” Tara stammered, filled in the same instant with a blazing hope and a horrifying dread. “What?”

“I bought two return tickets,” Willow told her, flashing that brilliant smile. “We’ve been apart for too long, Tare. We aren’t little kids. There’s nothing that can keep us apart anymore.”

She wanted to say yes. Oh god, goddess, and everything holy, Tara wanted to say yes. She wanted to throw herself into Willow’s arms, to kiss her, to run her hands over the warmth of that freckled alabaster. But it wouldn’t be fair to Willow.

“You don’t know what you’re asking,” Tara said in a tiny voice.

“I do,” Willow insisted. “I’m asking you to trust me, to trust the fate that brought us back together, in the middle of nowhere, during a blizzard.”

“I’m the same,” Tara said dully. She crossed her arms tight over her chest, tried to fight the tears burning in her eyes.

“You’re my Tara,” Willow said shakily. “You’ve always been my Tara.”

“That’s j-just it, Willow,” Tara cried, tears finally falling free. “I’m still the s-same scared, s-stammering girl I was when you left. But you,” Tara said. She paused, reached out again to cup Willow’s warm, silken cheek in her palm. “You’re a woman. You’ve transformed yourself. You shouldn’t be burdened with someone who is only a memory.”

A tear rolled down Willow’s cheek to dampen Tara’s palm. The little redhead’s face crumpled, but then she began to laugh, even as she cried.

“I might not be clumsy, Tara, but I’m still me. I’m still shy, spastic Willow. Every time I have to go on stage in front of an audience I get nauseous. I chant to myself over and over that I don’t have to throw up, and somehow, once I’m out there, it all falls way, and I’m just moving.”

Tara had seen her move, had been drawn like a moth to the flame of her body. How could she not see herself? How could she not see the wonder that she had evoked in Tara?

“I’ll prove it, Willow murmured. She lifted the hem of her sweater and began to pull it off.

“What are you doing?” Tara asked, feeling strangely calm.

“Let me show you,” Willow said, smiling gently. She lifted off her sweater and Tara’s mouth dropped open. “You see?” Willow asked.

Tara began to laugh. Beneath the sweater, Willow as wearing a thin white baby doll t-shirt. The front of the shirt was covered in a puffy, cartoon pancake with a big cheesy grin. The pancake had huge googly eyes, and trails of butter ran down from a huge cube of the stuff on the top of the pancake’s head. Curly text swirled underneath the graphic: Visit Krazy Katie’s Kajun Pancakes, NYC.

It was adorable, it was hilarious, and it was totally and utterly Willow.

“Willow,” Tara gasped, pulling the redhead into her arms. “Oh Will, I missed you. I missed you so much.”

“I missed you too, Tare.” When she spoke again it was in a whisper that roared ocean-loud in Tara’s ears. “And I love you, Tara. Always have, always will. There’s never been anyone else, not for me.”

“You sh-shouldn’t,” Tara groaned, even as her heart raced with the joy of it, even as she pulled Willow closer. “You d-deserve b-better.”

Willow leaned back out of Tara’s embrace and took the blonde’s face in her hands, staring into her eyes solemnly.

“How can you not see yourself?” Willow asked. Tara’s eyes widened, shocked to hear her own earlier thought slip from the redhead’s mouth. “The girl I had to leave behind never would’ve left home, Tara. She wouldn’t have dared. You did that, baby. You set yourself free.”

“Free?” Tara echoed. I’m free.

“You never have to go back there,” Willow choked back a sob. “They never get to hurt you again. You don’t have to come with me if you don’t want to, I’ll send you anywhere in the world you want to go. Just don't go back there.”

In the silence of the snow-lulled night, in the flickering glow of a dozen candles—one for every year they spent apart—Tara leaned forward and pressed her lips against Willow’s. The kiss was tender, hungry, holding the weight of years apart, and the promise of a future together. She felt Willow’s hands snake up into her hair and pulled the slender dancer closer, reveling in her warmth. When they finally parted, Tara said ten words that would change her life forever.

“There is nowhere I would rather be than with you.”

Last edited by LonelyTara on Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:38 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Well, dibs again.

But I barely remembered because that was beautiful.

So poetic and wonderful....wow. Just wow. I didn't think you could beat the perfect baby Christmas, but you did. I'm in awe, Robin, of your perfect, elegant writing. I hope I can be half the writer you are some day.

:peace

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:35 am 

wayland - Aww, that was so cute! Good of Tara to put poor deprived Willow's mind at ease that she was going to get some foo... :) Very cute!

LonelyTara: Whoa, that's gorgeous and so tender and I love that even twelve years can't really change anything between them and they know it, even if Tara doesn't see it immediately. Such a sweet, sweet story! So amazingly beautiful! (And go ahead and make it just impossible for me to pick just one why don't you!!!)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:07 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Topics: 6
• Title - Steady Heart
• Author - Mrs. Pineapple aka Helena
• Rating - PG
• Disclaimer - I don’t owe anything, all rights to Joss Whedon and ME (damn...)
• Feedback - Love love love it!
• Spoilers - None
• Summary - Memories and drama (I’m really bad at summaries...)
• Note - So, this is my entry. My first challenge, so I’m a bit nervous. It’s a bit angsty, an uh... Thoughts in italics. There are also some flashbacks, but you’ll see. I’d like to thank the mods again for creating this challenge, and all the authors who have given us so many wonderful stories already.

Thanks for reading!

It was almost a like force of nature. A powerful, raw feeling swirling inside that didn’t allow to be ignored. That couldn’t be ignored. Sometimes, when she gave in to the need, the internal storm would lie down, remain frozen for a while, only to draw her back in at the least expected moments. Right now, as Tara slowly made her way through her snow-covered back yard, she knew that nature had called her once again.

Covered from head to toe in protective garments, she felt like a knight in rusty armour, painstakingly trying to fight her way through the storm, even though no armour could possibly protect her against what lay ahead.

Tara sank down on her knees and released a hand from her glove. Her fingers were shaking slightly as she gently wiped the wooden plate. A silent tear rolled from her eyes even as she smiled.

‘Willowtree 252’

Her smile grew slowly as she looked up at the tree, it’s branches groaning under the weight of the snow. It had been Willow’s idea: to plant a tree in the garden, a symbol of their ever growing love. A silent power to remind them that love still could prevail, right there, in the back of their garden.

At that point Tara had insisted that it would be a Willow tree, and the redhead had grudgingly accepted, but not before insisting that Tara’s name should somehow be incorporated too. After some extensive research, Willow had come to the conclusion that ‘Tara’ had two possibly meanings: it could be Gaelic for ‘hill’, or Sanskrit for ‘star’. Tara had laughed at that, pointing out that it would be a Willowtree up on a hill, under the stars. Their own little altar.

Once again a tear escaped her eyes. It had been eight years. Eight years since they had planted the tree. The carved inscription in the wooden plate still reminded her of the exact date: a willow tree planted on the second of May, 2002. They had only been dating for 6 months, but it had been clear to the both of them that this was real. This was what so many people craved for, and they had found it together.

Tara closed her eyes, furiously trying to blink back the tears forming behind her eyes. Then, two months ago, it had happened. Looking back it had been almost casual. Willow had been on her way home, when a car had crashed into her. They had all agreed that it had been an accident: it was dark and the road had been slippery. By all means it had been a stupid coincidence.

But Tara had been left alone with her tears, with no-one to blame and no-one to turn to. Her only two friends, Buffy and her husband Angel, had recently moved to New York, and though they had promised to keep in close contact, they had gradually lost touch, and once again, Tara found herself alone for Christmas.

She went to visit Willow as often as possible, and she would stay as long as the nurses would allow. Unfortunately, the longer the redhead remained in coma, the fewer the chances were that she would ever wake up again.

As Tara felt she was beginning to freeze, she gave the wooden plate a kiss and clumsily stood up again. Giving the tree one last look, she turned her back and made her way back to the warmth of her house.

In a way she was grateful she got to spend Christmas alone: although she had promised Buffy over the telephone that she would go out instead of moping, she had resolved to stay in, warming herself with a fire and some hot cocoa. In the house, she felt safe, and more: it reminded her of Willow. Since the redhead had moved in, there hadn’t been a lot of changes, but it were the little touches that gave away her presence: the red candles, the smell of sage, the small menorah on the mantelpiece... It were small reminders that the redhead had lived here, and Tara just loved to curl up on the couch and look around the house, thinking about the stories attached to those objects.

Back when they were just dating, Tara had been roommates with Buffy. She had needed a roommate to pay off her mortgage for the house, and Buffy had proved to be the perfect candidate, in time becoming her most trusted friend. But even with the obstacle of another person in the house, Willow would still surprise her girlfriend now and then. Tara grinned widely as she remembered one of the most memorable times.

It had been around Christmastime, and Tara was just taking a long bath, when she heard a tapping on her window. The blonde nearly jumped out of her skin when she saw the redhead behind the bathroom window, apparently having climbed up the drainpipe.

[blockquote]Tara jumped out of the bath, the condensation on the window barely concealing her nakedness, and she put on a robe. She opened the window, flinching slightly at the gush of cold air coming through.

“What the hell are you doing here?!” She asked, half angry, half amused.

The redhead shrugged, smiling innocently. “I just wanted to see you,” she answered, eyes sparkling. She hesitated, looking the blonde in the eye expectantly. “Um, Tara?”

“What?” The blonde answered, still reeling from the fact that Willow was there, dangling outside the window. “Can I come in?” The redhead asked uncomfortably. “It’s kinda cold.”

Snapping herself back to reality, Tara stepped aside and pulled the redhead through the window. Once she got over her shock, she smiled coyly. “How did you even know I was taking a bath?” She asked, her eyes twinkling mischievously.

Willow turned bright red at that, realizing she was busted. “I called you once, remember?” She said. “You were just taking a bath then, and you told me you always did Saturday morning.” Her eyes were wide, her face filled with hope, hope that Tara would understand..

Tara’s heart melted once again. “You remembered that?” She asked. “That’s so sweet.” She wanted to hug the redhead, but, aware of her own semi-nakedness and the fact that Willow was probably still cold, she decided against it.

“Why don’t you go downstairs and make yourself some hot chocolate?” She asked. “I’ll be with you in a-“ At that point she was interrupted when the door went open, revealing a slightly dishevelled Buffy.

No-one spoke for a few seconds as Buffy took in the strange scene. “Willow?” She asked, her face contorting in surprise. “What are you doing here?”

Once again, the redhead shrugged. “I wanted to surprise Tara,” she answered, voice filled with glee at the apparent success of her operation.

Buffy was still standing in the doorway. “Well how did you come in then? I didn’t hear you.” She said, clearly still puzzled about the situation.

“She came in through the bathroom window,” Tara clarified.

Buffy’s eyes went even bigger, if that was at all possible. “Why?” She asked at last.

Willow turned her eyes to Tara, smiling widely. “Because.”[/blockquote]
Tara smiled, pressing a cushion to her chest. It was a long time ago, but Tara still recalled every second of it. Her eyes travelled trough the living room. This house had been witness to so many of their ‘first times’. Their first date, their first kiss... Our first time making love, Tara sighed internally.

In many ways it had seemed such an ordinary date. Dinner, a movie, and after Willow had walked her home, Tara had asked her to come in. The blonde smiled again. She had been so nervous, and half of the time she felt as if she had no idea as to what she was doing.

But that night... Tara still shuddered as she recalled it. It had been their first time as a couple, and Tara’s first time ever, so it had been a pretty big deal. And mostly, if the stakes were high, Tara knew that she almost always screwed up. Whether it was nerves, or the fear of high expectation, she didn’t know, but she was always scared to death when she had to ‘perform’ in any way.

But that night... However nervous and scared the blonde had been, that night had been the most incredibly experience of her young life. The low whispers, the shy touches, the burning gazes. Willow had been so gentle with her, knowing that the blonde was technically a virgin, but yet she hadn’t been any less expectant about Tara’s talents between the sheets.

She sighed again. That night had been the first of many nights spent together, intimately loving each other. It had been the night of ‘many firsts’, as Willow called it. Their first time making love (obviously), their first time sleeping in the same bed, and their first pillow talk.

[blockquote]Willow had her eyes closed, her chest gently rising and falling. She lay on her back, with Tara snuggling into her side. Coming down from her incredible high, her breathing slowed down, as her hand searched for Tara.

The blonde was laying right beside her, mesmerized by the wonderful creature on her right. It was the first time she had seen Willow completely naked, and she couldn’t get her eyes of the redhead for the life of her.

As if sensing something, Willow opened her eyes a fraction, locking gaze with Tara for a long moment. Then, she smiled.

“What are you looking at?” She asked cheekily.

Tara smiled gently in reply. “I’m looking at you, beautiful girl,” she said quietly. Raising her hand, she tenderly stroked the red hair she loved so much. “How are you feeling?”

Willow’s smile went full-blown at the question. She turned on her side, reaching her hands around Tara’s waist. “I feel wonderful.” She sighed wistfully. “You feel wonderful.”

Tara felt herself tear up at the amount of love she felt for the redhead right now. She reached behind her back, grasping Willow’s hand that lay on her hip, and gently kissed her knuckles.[/blockquote]
Tara didn’t know how long they had lain there that way, their bodies entwined, looking into each other eyes. What she did remember was the incredible way it had made her feel. Like she could move mountains. And for this woman, she would.

An errant yawn escaped her mouth. Stretching in her seat, she got up and made her way to the kitchen. She would have some tea, and some of her home-baked cookies Willow loved so much. Tara didn’t care that Willow was in a hospital on the other side of town. As long as she kept up their little traditions it was as if Willow was still there. Part of her wouldn’t be surprised if the redhead walked through the door right now, calling out for her.

Putting the kettle to boil, Tara heard, through the blaze of the wind, a soft noise. She smiled softly as she realized who was there and she walked to the back door, opening it slightly. A thoroughly snowed-in cat stepped inside, shaking her paws, immediately starting to wash herself. Tara grinned slightly at the sight. Kneeling in front of her beloved feline, she lightly scratched it’s head.

“Hey there, girl?” She whispered. “Where have you been all this time? It’s so cold outside.” Taking the shivering cat into her arms, she gently rocked it, wiping away some snowflakes with her free hand. “Why don’t you go sit on your chair?” She said, pressing a kiss to the furred head. “Warm up a little.” She put the cat back on the ground as she heard the kettle starting to boil. She poured the hot water in a mug and lowered the teabag, stirring it a little as her thoughts started to drift once more.

‘Miss Kitty Fantastico’ was the name Tara had jokingly given their new kitten. They had decided that, in addition to the tree in the backyard, they should have a living creature that was just ‘theirs’. This time, it had been Tara’s idea to get a kitty, after repeatedly checking that Willow wasn’t allergic. But quite to the contrary, Willow had been positively psyched about the idea.

They had gone to the pound, as Tara preferred to take an abandoned kitten into her care rather than just buying one, and when they had seen the little kitty, both of them had fallen in love immediately.

They had been a little bummed, however, when their kitten had proved to be really shy. They hadn’t be able to hold her or give her the attention a brand new kitten deserved, as Miss Kitty repeatedly hid behind the fridge, or under the couch when she saw a human shape. It had (again) taken some research from Willow, but they had at last come up with the perfect solution.

[blockquote]“Are you sure about this?” Tara asked, uncertain. “Absolutely!” Willow answered, as Tara held the protesting cat in her arms. After a lot of searching and reaching, they had finally been able to capture Miss Kitty. “Just hold her there for a while,” Willow said, before opening the fridge and producing a cube of butter. “I looked this up, and apparently it works really well. I have to put some butter on her paws, see?” She said. “It’ll be a nice treat for Miss Kitty, and it’ll help her to learn to trust us!”

She put the cube on the kitchen table and, rubbing some between her fingers, she carefully smeared some butter on the little paws. Having done the four of them, she ordered Tara to put the kitten back down. “But she’ll get the floor all dirty!” Tara protested weakly. “No, see?” Willow said, pointing towards the kitty, who was now diligently licking her paws. “She feels more comfortable already!” Willow cried triumphantly, throwing her arms around Tara’s neck.

Tara laughed and hugged the redhead back, feeling foolish for ever doubting her. Her musings were interrupted by Willow, who suddenly drew back from the embrace. “Oops,” she said, a guilty look on her face. At Tara’s inquisitive gaze, she showed her hands. “I still have butter-fingers.”[/blockquote]
At that point, both of them had started laughing, the silly experience bonding them once more. And it had definitely been a good way to comfort Miss Kitty. From that moment on the cat had been unmistakably ‘theirs’.

She shook her head, the happiness of that moment still resonating within her today. Making her way back to the living room, she sat down again and quietly drank her tea.

She should do something. Watch a movie, read a book. Anything to put her mind off things for a while. But, try as she might, she couldn’t imagine a book or a movie that was greater than her history with the redhead. She nodded resolutely. No movie tonight. She stretched awkwardly, before standing up. She looked around the room again, wringing her hands together as the question ‘what should I do?’ became more urgent.

And, together with that question, a thought in the back of her head began to crawl inside her mind. She tried to push it away, knowing that she shouldn’t, but every time she had suppressed it, it had only come back stronger.

I should go see Willow.

She sighed in defeat, knowing that there was no point arguing. She didn’t care if she would spend her Christmas evening in an empty hospital room, the only place she ever wanted to be was by Willow’s side, no matter what everyone else thought.

Slowly but steadily, she walked to the front door, stopping suddenly as a thought struck her. She raced up the stairs, and appeared again a minute later, her breathing ragged. She took a deep breath, gathering her thoughts for a moment before going back to the front door and slowly putting her layers of clothing back on. She fumbled in her handbag for her car keys, wondering if she would be able to get to the hospital at all in this weather. Stepping inside her car, she carefully drove up the abandoned street, driving slow so she wouldn’t slip.

Looking back, she wondered how she had been able to get to the hospital at all. She couldn’t see for 15 feet ahead of her, the snow swirling around her in clouds. Well at least we’ll have a ‘white Christmas’, she thought, snorting dismissively. When she finally got to the hospital, she parked her car as close to the entrance as possible, which wasn’t difficult as the parking lot was as good as abandoned.

Once again leaving the warmth of her car, she made a straight line for the entrance. She followed this road almost automatically, having done it for so many times the past two months. And every time there was the spark of giddiness at seeing her beloved Willow again, and the sting of melancholy of having to see her in such a condition. Still, she always pushed herself to go through with it, despite the heartbreak she knew she had to endure every time.

Slowly, she made her way up the stairs. Around the corner. Through the hall, on the left. Room 135. Taking a deep breath, Tara walked through the door. It was long past visiting hours, but the nurse on the nightshift always made sure to keep Willow’s door open for the blonde, knowing that she could barge in at any moment. Tara assumed that she felt sorry for her, for which she was grateful.

For what had to be the billionth time in two months, Tara felt her breath leave her as she saw Willow. The redhead was propped up on the bed, an IV attached to her arm, covered by several blankets. Blinking away her tears, she made her way inside, removed her scarf, hat and cloak, which were now slightly suffocating her.

“Hey baby,” she said softly, sitting down in her regular chair beside the redhead’s bed. “How are you feeling today?” She asked, not caring if Willow couldn’t answer her question. Gently, she took the redhead’s hand inside hers, lightly kissing the fingers. She cast a furtive glance at the monitor beside the redhead’s bed. She didn’t understand any of it, but she was sure Willow would be more than glad to tell her about it when she woke up.

She bit her lip, stopping her thoughts, before her expression turned resolute. That’s right, WHEN, not IF, she told herself, trying to stop her pessimistic side from taking over.

But she couldn’t stop it. Mostly she was able to stop her tears until she had found the nearest bathroom, or had made it to her car. Now, however, with no-one but a comatose Willow to witness her grief, she let herself cry, her body shaking as she sobbed quietly.

Sniffling, her eyes went back to Willow’s face. “I miss you so much Will,” she said, her voice thick. Her fingers were shaking slightly as she wiped an errant lock of hair out of the redhead’s face. “I keep t-telling myself it will be o-okay, but then you aren’t there.” She chocked on the end of her sentence, and she furiously bit back more tears.

Forcing herself to calm down, she smiled lightly as she recalled something. “I h-have put on our holiday s-stockings,” she said quietly. “You remember our Christmas stockings, Will?”

She smiled slightly, despite her tears. It had been on the night of their first kiss that Willow had found her stockings. Tara had been so nervous, knowing with absolute certainty that she couldn’t screw this one up. They had just arrived home after a date, when Tara had asked the redhead if she wanted to come in.

After making sure Willow was comfortable, she had excused herself. She didn’t know how long she had stood in front of her bathroom mirror practising kissy faces, before Willow finally knocked on the door.

[blockquote]“Are you okay?” A small voice sounded on the other side. Tara blushed furiously, noticing all the time she had been wasting in here. She cleared her throat before answering: “I’m okay, just a minute!” She washed her face, and after checking if her hair was all right, she opened the door.

“Sorry it took me so long,” she said apologetically. Willow flapped her hand dismissively. “Not a problem,” she said. Her face turned anxious as she started hopping on her legs. “Can I go now?” Quickly, Tara stepped out of the way, mentally slapping herself for the long delay. “S-sure.”

She went downstairs after that, quickly fixing them something to drink, after which she sat down on the couch, nervously awaiting Willow’s return.

Not long after that, Willow came inside, a bright smile on her face. “You have them too!” She shouted enthusiastically, waving something in Tara’s face she couldn’t quite make out. “What?!” The blonde asked, perplexed.

Willow went slightly red as she explained: “Well I was just gonna go pee, really, but then I saw these cute candy cane striped stockings!” She waved with them again. “I love those!” She said with glee.

After that, Tara felt instantly relaxed. Seeing the redhead’s open face, she chuckled lightly before patting the place on the couch beside her. Her initial embarrassment at Willow’s discovery had disappeared entirely as she looked the redhead in the eye, and saw nothing but honesty there.[/blockquote]
Tara sighed. After that, it had become an annual tradition for them to wear the stockings on Christmas eve, as silly as it was. It had been the start of a long list of inside jokes she shared with the redhead, and she loved every minute of it.

“You remember that, Will?” She repeated, her voice laced with tears.

She forced herself not to break down again, squeezing Willow’s hand tightly, needing the physical contact.

And then, it happened: it was almost miniscule, a small fleeting moment, but it happened. Willow moved. It was just a slight fluttering movement of the fingers held captive in Tara’s hand. By consequence, she had felt it accurately.

For a moment, Tara didn’t dare to breathe. Her body stayed rigid as her eyes remained stuck on the redhead’s face, searching for signs, any sign, that Willow might...

Her eyes opened. The deep forest green eyes Tara hadn’t seen for two months, now weakly regarded the blonde. Tara didn’t speak, her voice stuck in her throat. She blinked owlishly, and when she opened her eyes, Willow was still there.

Then, as the silence hung thick between them, the redhead cracked a smile.

“What are you looking at?”

It was said softly, and the voice was scratchy, but to Tara, it was the most beautiful sound in the world.

“Will,” she breathed, finally regaining her vocal chords. Tears were once again streaming down her face, but this time, they were tears of joy. “You’re alive!” She wanted to hug the redhead, but, aware of her fragile body, she reached out and tenderly caressed her cheek.

“Aren’t I usually?” Willow asked, eyebrows slightly raised.

Tara laughed, the first joyful laugh she had in two full months. “I never doubted you.” She said. Not in my heart. Her hand still caressing Willow’s cheek, it occurred to Tara that she should probably call a doctor or a nurse. Then again, part of her wanted this moment to be private, to be about them only. Deciding against it, she just smiled lovingly at the redhead.

“I love you so much.”

Willow smiled, and was about to return the sentiment when a yawn escaped her mouth. “I’m sleepy,” she whispered.

“Then sleep, love,” Tara answered, her hand abandoning Willow’s cheek to rest on her chest, where she could feel her lover’s heartbeat.

Willow looked worried for a moment as she regarded the blonde. “Will you be here when I wake up?” She asked in a small voice.

Tara had difficulty controlling her tears again as her heart seemed to overflow with love. Gently laying her head on Willow’s chest, she found comfort in the steady beat of her heart.

“Always,” she whispered.

THE END

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:41 am 

Aww, that was sweet - I loved all of Tara's memories of Willow. And I'm glad she woke up for Christmas! Very sweet story!