The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: RKT presents "Sing A Song of Christmas"
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:12 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Wow, a Wishverse Christmas, nicely done, Watty.

The interaction between Tara and Vamp Willow is hot, no doubt about it. In the blood wine scene you created a very sensual, erotic aura without much in the way of graphic action. Sexy, dark, sweet, and devoted - wonderful stuff.

Depicting peace between the White Hats and the Black Hats is quite appropriate for the season, eh?

Michelle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:09 am 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Watty,
As others have said before me, the scenes with Willow and Tara and first the mistletoe and then the blood wine were very sensual and erotic without much actually happening.
Sometimes the build-up the foreplay can be an arosuing experience in itself.
Shivering with antici...pation, Willow and Tara have already made their commitment to each other but now are daring to challenge the established order of centuries old social strata by declring their love for each other openly before the vampire enclave.
The Truce between the White Hats and the Forces of Darkness reminds me a bit of the Christmas Truce of 1914 between the British and the Germans on the battlefields of France.
Now to pause and visualize the finger of VampTara caresing those lips open and a drop of her blood pricked from the fangs like Sleeping Beauty only this time its for a binding rituals of unsouls.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:40 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

I like this story. Heck, I liked all the stories posted. Christmas is the best time of the year. I hope you all write more exciting stories. Thanks for sharing.

~Chaz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:48 am 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

Topics: 1
I'm rather pleased to see the level of recognition for this story and this universe. I have a lot of ideas, but most are still in my head waiting to be written. In the meantime, I will play around with the short story format to fill out the backstory a little. To clarify the timescale that I currently have:

Willow spots Tara in the first White Hat / Black Hat meeting at the Bronze (Earth flashback) --> Tara confronts Willow after Willow stalks her for an unspecified number of days (Earth flashback) --> they become lovers (implied) --> Christmas party to consolidate truce (Mistletoe & Wine) --> Willow disappears and returns after 3 months away but in her timeline it has been 19 yrs (Earth flashback) --> she ousts Master to take control of Sunnydale (implied) --> Tara becomes her pet (Earth flashback) --> --> Tara dies of illness after 15 yrs (Earth main story) --> Tara returns briefly the night of her funeral, promises Willow she will come back (Earth main story) --> Tara returns after 150 yrs (the whole premise of DoIR)

I've had a few inquiries about Days of Innocence Returned. My apologies that I haven't been able to update for such a long time. I will return to it one day, but currently I have 2 long fics I want to write and post first. Thanks for your patience.

Anyway, thank you to all for reading. Here are the replies.

Boschi -- dibs, dude. Congrats. Re: tone, I don't really know. I'm just glad you enjoyed it. I did try to write it 'light', almost like a series of vignettes. It could have been an intense story of "good vs evil but really life is full of grey" but I didn't want to get too deep. There's a lot that is just underneath the surface, unspoken. It makes reading interesting, I think.
Quote:
Hey, Cosmic Battle Between Good and Evil? Go f* yourself - I got my girl.

:lol could almost be their motto. They sure have their priorities straight.

Alex -- I'm so glad to be on the one hand, some sort of Mistress of Angst (though that is Cyd's title) and on the other, the kb's resident nut. I wear that badge with pride.
Quote:
I half expected this to be some sort of angst filled drama story.

welllll. Not sure if you've read Earth, because the angst in that one causes enough tears to fill several Olympic size pools; and this little story is from that universe. I didn't want to get that angsty, because Earth was hard to write, so I kept this one just brimming but never boiling over ... and why am I using so many metaphors? :P

Cyd -- thanks for taking the time to read! You have been missed. High praise indeed, I'm glad you found the piece tight, even though I was flitting about from one scene to another. :lol "tepid acquiescence" was a phrase I came up with after Debra pointed out that my original word choice was rather mixed in the metaphor department. Thanks again, Cydster.

Sally -- there's a largish universe of VW fics out there, and psimetis is the mistress of Master Willow ... I'm just playing and tweaking the universe she created. They are a very new couple, probably only a few weeks into their relationship. Apart from Giles, no one else knows and it's hard to keep something like this a secret for long.
Quote:
I'm very very curious to find out how Willow negotiated this relationship in the first place.

She noticed and lusted after Tara during the first truce meeting between Giles and Master. She then proceeded to stalk Tara, even though there was an agreement that vampires did not harm humans. Tara noticed and confronted Willow. And the rest is history. I'm not spoiling anything, most of this took place during flashbacks in Earth.

Thanks muchly for the comments about Giles, the supporting characters and especially crazy Dru. I know I'm not very good at descriptions and I tried very hard not to include too many scenes of just talking heads. Sometimes the secondary characters just write themselves, you know. :)

I also didn't want to write smut (partly cos I haven't been able to, for a while now) so I'm especially glad that you found the blood wine exchange sexually charged. I was afraid people will be wigged out! Thanks again, and thank you for being part of the group.

Paul -- thanks for the detailed feedback, always appreciated.
Quote:
Why would two opposing sides such as these arrange a truce/treaty in the first place? And how the heck did they end up with three Slayers in the first place?

The answer to the first question is self preservation and politics. I'm envisioning a situation rather like many truces between organised crime and law enforcement. Though the police would want to get rid of the gangs / mafias / triads (whatever they call themselves), realistically it's an uphill battle. I've seen in films that as long as the gangs keep amongst themselves, the police tries not to get too involved. Rightly or wrongly this is how certain echelons of society operates. As you can imagine there is a lot to be explored in this universe. The answer to the second question is, I haven't thought too deeply about it, it just is. :D

Quote:
I have to wonder, will Willow and Tara's relationship prove a catalyst to this situation. It could go either way: the opposing sides could react badly, ala Romeo and Juliet, or it could somehow bring them closer together

:hmm interesting hypothesis. Also, the reaction could change in a snap. Even if Master and the slayers accept the relationship now, there's no telling if they'll completely change. After all, there isn't a lot of trust going on in this Sunnydale.

Quote:
But what couldn't be improved by lesbians?

Oh man, Paul. You are no longer an evil onion. Say this often enough and you will have an entire harem of lesbians at your disposal. :P

Dianneswillowtree -- I'm kinda impartial to VW/T stories too. Thanks for reading. :)

Emms -- hi there Emmy! I do like writing VW/T, and yes they are very hot together. :)
Quote:
the newness of the truce between the humans and the demons paralleled perfectly the newness of the relationship between Willow and Tara

:bow thank you thank you thank you. You're so adorable, that you pick out nuances that I sometimes aren't even aware of myself. :) Willow was like an excited teenager going to her first prom, right? Even though she was a soul-less vampire! That's why I like writing this universe, especially VW. She is a contrary character, she keeps reminding herself that she's evil, and yet Tara gives her so much light and goodness that she can't help being not as evil as she wants to be. Thanks again and I'm looking forward to your story.

Vale -- heehee I didn't feel sensual writing this, only you could have picked out the connections.
Quote:
the taste, the smell, the warmth.....i felt like my senses would wake up because of your words, and that is truly an accomplishment

I think that is truly a compliment. Thank you very much, my dear. And hey! I'm not blushing at "sensual" -- isn't that an achievement? :P

Debra -- thanks again for helping, not only with the semi-colons, but your suggestions and comments that tightened up the story a great deal. I said this when I wrote feedback to Cam's story, that I like how we have universes that we can explore and revisit, it makes the whole writing (and reading) experience so much richer. You've said it yourself many times, that the series is over and there is only so much we can write about in terms of canon. What I like about the Wishverse is that it's canon, yet not quite ... there is a lot of potential and flexibility we can utilize.

Quote:
n comparison, the supporting cast seem almost black and white while W/T are so in color. Willow is absolutely a presence.

I admit it, I'm lousy at descriptions and picturing my stories but I tried hard in this story to not to have too many talking heads scenes. I love your description of the color vs b/w aspect. It's a bit like in Sin City (the film) when only certain parts of the onscreen characters are colored in, which everything else is either washed out, or blacked out. It's so easy to write Willow's presence, especially VW, since she packs so much internalized power into such a small frame. And Tara definitely has that certain innocence. Though she lives in Sunnydale and fights demons, she's only been around recently and a lot of that is during Truce, so she still has to become totally cynical, like Wishverse!Buffy.

:lmao about your short description of Tara giving a drop of blood to Willow in the wine and it being sensual. Anyone not "slightly" obsessed with W/T like we are will think we're bonkers. My sincere thanks to you, hope your finger is better and looking forward to your story!

Willow Watcher -- I'm glad you enjoyed this VW story, it was nice to write. There is so much facet to VW's personality and together with imposssible love for a human Tara there is so much to write about. Thanks! :)

Karinna -- hey there. Thanks for the very nice comments and everything. VW and human Tara simply is too hot! And together they provide so much possibilities and interplay of emotions / motives / background that it becomes so easy to write them. It was fun to play in this oft neglected (yes, it's my own fault) universe.

p.s. nice avatar. :P

justin -- the truce is something that was borne out of stalemate. Both sides were going to lose more and more unless they put a stop to this. Like I said to Paul, I liken it to the turning a blind eye situation that may exist in some heavily criminated areas (and I don't care if 'criminated' isn't a word :P ) -- it was necessary under a lose-lose situation. No, definitely neither Buffy nor Faith will be happy about the relationship, but they will need to accept it in some form or other. Then again, Willow disappears shortly after, though I haven't really though about why in detail. There's a lot more story to come. And talking about stories to come, looking forward to yours.

db -- yes you must read VW/T because this is a couple that is so fascinating, from a writing and reading pov. Very much a grey area couple, in that they occupy clearly black and white camps in the conflict, yet they are so drawn together in an impossible to resist kind of way. Willow in this incarnation has no soul, yet she isn't completely bad -- both the truce and Tara are contributing factors. Tara should be conflicted, because she is sleeping with the enemy, but yet she knows she is the one giving Willow soul (if not a soul). I love writing them, and you must read more.

mole -- heh, you're one of several readers who commented that their interaction is hot. I'm so happy, since I wanted to be understated, with the sexual tension not quite bubbling over. I'm so glad the feeling was felt. I think you've hit the nail right on the head to say their interaction show how
Quote:
devoted

they are with the other. So true, so true. And peace between the camps? Definitely one for the season. :)

Blayne -- :waves I'm glad their interactions came across as
Quote:
sensual and erotic without much actually happening

I really did want to write this fic like a series of vignettes, with controlled and understated scenes, yet what is depicted in the scenes is tension and the feeling of imbalance, that something is just asking to go wrong. Then contrasting the impossible love between the two of them, that could not be denied.Thanks for your staunch support for our series from day one. :)

willow.tara -- hi there and thank you. Christmas is indeed the best time of the year!

[br]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:13 am 
18. Breast Gal

Topics: 4
Aww... such a sweet, slightly bizarre Christmas party. I really enjoyed the mix of agendas, with Giles dreaming of his historic truce, the slayers all stand-offish, each according to their own way of being nervous, and the vamps being various kinds of sullenly accomodating. Spike's proposal was a hoot :lol

I really, really liked Tara. She's very much herself, quiet and unassuming, in contrast with Willow's vampy boldness and willingness to take on the world on a whim - but there's a strength and a power to her that belies any appearance that Willow is the dominant one in their relationship. The quiet, knowing way she performed the wine glass ritual almost made it seem like she was in charge, that she was allowing Willow the privilege of having her as a pet. I adore this Tara - content with the position she has, but unwilling to be anything less than her own woman regardless.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:06 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Watty
That was so well done. Spot on characterisations of the supporting cast and such interesting deviations in character for W&T. I liked the way Tara was still on the side of good, but accepting and steadfast in her love for Willow. Knowing all kinds of hell was gonna break loose when the White Hats, esp. the Slayers, realised the relationship she has with Willow, and yet going ahead. The blood in the wine thing was .... eerie, is the best I can come up with to describe how I felt about it. I agree with Chris's comment on that.

I have a strong resistance to any fic where Tara and/or Willow is a vampire: it is just so NOT how I see them, and I just don't understand the attraction of the 'dark side'. So I feel kinda deficient somehow in not being able to appreciate your story as much as I think it deserves from the quality of the writing.

Thanks
Anne

Every path has its puddle. Old English Saying... I think I just stepped in mine...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:26 pm 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

[br][center]General Announcement[/center]

Due to unforeseen circumstances, Janna (wiccanbotanist) is unable to post her story for our series. But fear not, we won't let you down! I did a pretty spreadsheet, therefore we must stick to the schedule. The chart said there will be a fic twice a week until Christmas, and by jove we will give you a fic twice a week.

I'm very pleased to present our guest-writer for our Sing a Song of Christmas series, who has bravely stepped in and written a wonderful and warm story for the holiday season. I won't spoil it further, but would like to express our thanks and appreciation for Kaia. :clap

[hr]

Before she posts, a couple of replies.

Chris -- bizarre is right! Only in a Wishverse Sunnydale will we see vampires, demons, slayers and humans willinging (albeit with their arms slightly twisted) participating in a joint Christmas party. I'm also glad you like this version of Tara, she is faced with a difficult future, whether or not the truce holds, she is in love with a vampire, and there will be times when her life will be complicated. To confront Willow that day outside the Bronze and to take her back to her room took guts and conviction. She will prove to be an important part of this universe.

Thanks for your graphics and for support, Chris. I'm sure you'll grace us with a great story next week.

Anne -- thank you so much for reading and commenting. Please don't feel bad about not liking this genre, it isn't to everyone's tastes. Every person is different, there is no right or wrong. Which is why I feel especially thankful that you took the time to leave feedback. Thanks for the praise about characterisations, we know them so well, and this time they wrote themselves. I'd like to think that Tara wasn't attracted to Willow's 'dark side' but rather she was able to see the good in the soul-less vampire, and brought out the less evil in VW. At least, that's my theory. :P

[br]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:31 pm 
8. Vixen

[center]Image[/center]

Title: One Tin Soldier
Author: Kaia
Email: klattes@gmail.com
Rating: PG-13
Disclaimers: BtVS characters belong to Mutant Enemy, Fox, the WB, UPN and a few others that are not me.
Summary: Tara tells her son a bedtime story about forgiveness.
Thanks: db for being my beta and the great friend she is, watty for the encouragement, Car for the help, Chris for the quick title banner and Paola for putting up with me.

Sunset found Tara exhausted as she climbed the stairs to check on her 4 year old son. She found him in his jammies, sitting Indian-style in the middle of his bedroom, brow furrowed, deep in thought. In his hands she saw 3 cd cases and she recognized the Christmas Carols collection he had received from Giles earlier that morning.

Tara leaned on the door frame as she watched the redheaded boy looking back and forth from the color-coded, neatly stacked cds in front of him, to the ones he was holding.

Tara sat down on the floor next to her son. “You look busy, little man, need any help?”

The boy’s features softened as he climbed onto his mama’s lap. “Mama, I’m trying to arrange my new cds. Mom told me that B comes after A and C comes after B, but…” his little voice trailed off.

“But what, sweetpea?” Tara held her son tighter, pressing her lips to his temple.

The little boy turned in his mother’s embrace, throwing his arms around her neck and pressing his little mouth to her ear. “I don’t remember what letter comes after C,” he whispered only for Tara to hear.

Tara smiled against his shoulder. The child was an overachiever, a trait he had certainly picked up from Willow, even if she wasn’t his biological parent.

“What happened to the color-coded system, Jimmy?” Tara remembered fondly the nights her wife and son spent in Willow’s study deciphering the mysteries of organizational skills and different colored pens.

“But…I, the colors are for kids! I’m a big boy now, Mama.” He crossed his arms and pouted, earning a chuckle from her mother.

“Yes, you are, sweetie." Tara picked up a neglected CD. "Did you like your CDs? Do you wanna sing a carol before going to bed?"

"Um...I don't know, Mama, some of the songs are not very nice." The child disengaged from his mother's embrace and picked up a CD case and handed it to Tara.

“Which one, little man?" Tara asked, confused.

"The one with the swords and the blood and the tin soldier. It's scary." The little boy frowned.

Tara reached out and caressed the boy's freckled cheek and smiled. "You're right, it's not a very nice song if you miss the meaning of it. Do you know what the meaning of that song is, Jimmy?" The boy shook his head.

“It’s a song about peace. About how sometimes people lose their way and end up hurting people, but in the end they realize that what they did was wrong and ask for forgiveness.”

“But the bad guys killed everyone! It was too late to ask for forgiveness, Mama." Jimmy stared into his mother’s blue eyes, confused.

“It’s never too late to ask for forgiveness, sweetie,” Tara moved a strand of red hair away from the boy’s eye.

“If someone hurts you or Mom, I’ll never forgive them!” He frowned and crossed his arms over his chest.

Tara smiled warmly. "How about we tuck you in and I tell you a story? Then we can talk about forgiveness some more, okay?” Tara stood up and took Jimmy’s small hand in hers. “Unless, of course, you’re too big for a bedtime story,” she raised an eyebrow.

The boy gave her a half smile. A few minutes later he was comfortably tucked in and resting his head on Tara's lap. "What book are we going to read?" he asked, his gaze on the bookcase by his bed.

"Not tonight, Jimmy. Tonight you get a family story," she said as she ran her fingers through her son's silky hair.

"A family story?" The boy sat up, his green eyes wide open.

"When I was a little girl, we used to live on a farm..." Tara bent to plant a kiss on the boy's head as she continued her storytelling. Fifteen minutes later, Tara was staring at her son as he sat framed against the headboard. She had told him, in simple words and not much detail, about the alleged Maclay women's 'curse' and the means of damage control enforced by the men in her family, especially her father. Tara also told her son about the way Willow stood up to James Maclay and how she found a new family in the Scoobies. She could feel the boy's internal struggle and in that moment she doubted the wisdom of her decision to let him know about his grandfather.

She knew she needed to give Jimmy a few minutes so he could come to terms with the new scenario before continuing with her story. There was a lesson to be learned after all and the boy needed to understand the pain in order to grasp the real meaning of what she was trying to show him.

After a few silent seconds, he turned to her, his voice fragile and small. "What happened after he left, Mama?"

Tara sighed, relieved. The look in her son's eyes told her that he understood, and that he was going to be alright. She patted her lap, motioning for her son to lay his head back down and continued lightly smoothing his hair.

"We didn't hear much about them until a few years later. By then your Mom and I were already married and I was pregnant with you." She glanced down at her lap and saw the boy smile. "A week before you were born we got a call from your uncle Donnie..."

Flashback

Willow sat by a very pregnant Tara as she handed her a cup of herbal tea. "Drink it baby, it'll help your stomach settle." Immediately she placed her hand on her lover's tummy, not wanting to miss any baby kicks.

"Oh, puh-lease!" Anya rolled her eyes. Willow turned to face Anya on the opposite couch.

The former demon took a sip of her coffee. "That's a reeeally sweet gesture Willow. I bet you think it will make up for all the bloating and constipation Tara is enduring to bear your progeny." She took another sip before turning to Tara. "It won't, though. You'll only feel better after that thing pops out of you. After, not during. Labor is hell."

Willow's jaw dropped and she blinked a few times before shaking her head.

"Anh, honey, please be nice to our hosts. I wanna try Tara's pumpkin pie." Xander smiled affectionately at his wife.

Willow glared at him. She was about to reply but was interrupted by the ring of the telephone.

"Saved by the bell," the redhead sighed before getting up to answer.

Tara shook her head, laughing. "I swear to the Goddess, Anya. You're gonna end up giving her a heart attack one of these days. And you know who's gonna face the wrath of the blond wiccan if I end up raising my child alone."

The laughter died as soon as she saw the pale face of her lover, who was slowly walking towards her, cordless phone in hand.

"Willow, what is it, honey?" the blond asked, worried.

Willow handed her the phone. "It's your brother. He asked for you, but he wouldn't tell me what he wanted."

Tara slowly extended her hand, taking the phone from Willow's hand as she stood. "I'll just g-go..." she said, pointing the device in the direction of the kitchen. Willow nodded and sat on the couch watching her wife's back disappear into the kitchen.

"Now that was weird and uncomfortable," Anya spoke up.

"Anh, please." Xander replied. "Are you ok, Will? What was that about?" He moved to sit by his childhood friend.

"I have no idea Xander, we haven't heard from Tara's relatives since they were here... and we all know how that turned out."

A muffled sob drew their attention toward the kitchen. Willow bit her lip and looked up to the opening kitchen door. Tara was pale and tears were running down her face. Willow jumped off the couch to hold her wife.

"What happened, sweetie, are you ok?" She pulled back to look into Tara's eyes.

Tara shook her head and buried her tear stained face in Willow's neck. "It's dad. He's very sick. Donnie says he may d-d-die soon."

"I'm sorry, baby. What else did he say?" Willow cradled Tara's cheeks in her palms and brushed the blond's tears away with her thumbs, worry evident on her face.

Tara tried to speak, her lip quivering. "Dad wants to see me, Will." A sob wracked Tara's body and she hid her face on Willow's shoulder.

Xander saw Willow hold her wife closer and whisper something in her ear. Sensing that the women needed some privacy, he motioned for Anya to stand.

"Willow, Tara, I think you need some time alone. We'll be home if you need anything. All you have to do is call and we'll be here, ok?" He moved to hug his friends and placed a kiss on Tara's cheek.

Anya stood by the two women wringing her hands and looking uncomfortable before blurting: "I'm sorry about your dad, Tara. I hope he gets better soon even though I think he is a big fat jerk."

"Anya!" Both Xander and Willow yelled at the former demon.

"It's true!" Anya replied before turning to face Tara. "Even though I personally would have wished him a lifetime of ingrown hairs, you never did. That's what makes you such a nice person who doesn't deserve to have a father who was so mean and dishonest. I still hope he gets better, because I think that maybe you do, and you deserve to get something from him that you want."

Tara raised her head and managed a grateful smile.

A few minutes later they were alone, still holding each other.

"Are you alright?" the smaller woman asked.

Tara looked up, eyes still filled with unshed tears, and nodded weakly. The memory of her younger self, sitting alone in a dark corner of her room, thoughts plagued by fear and shame, hit her hard. Goosebumps started forming on her arms and legs and she hid her face in the safety of Willow's chest.

"Aww, baby. Remember when you told me I didn't always have to be strong? Well, the same goes for you. This would be a good time to let me be strong for you, ok?"

Tara choked back another sob and leaned into her lover's embrace, nodding her answer against Willow's shoulder.

Willow leaned in and gently kissed Tara's shoulder. She softly stroked Tara's lower back and cradled her love in her arms. Willow felt desperate. Desperate to help; desperate to be strong for her wife in the ways Tara had always been for her. Desperate to convey, through touch, that she was going to help; that they could do this together. When she felt Tara relax, Willow wrapped her arm around her wife's midsection. "Why don't we go lay down, baby? I'll hold you and we can talk about this?" She saw the blond nod again and Willow gently guided her towards the stairs.

When they reached the bedroom Willow pulled the covers down and motioned for Tara to sit on the edge of the bed. She brought Tara a cool washcloth for her swollen eyes and smoothed her hair back from her forehead.

"Sweetie?" Willow's tentative question was met with an intense gaze. Tara stared into the green of Willow's eyes. She slowly reached out and ran her fingers through the soft, red hair and smiled. Just like that first time, during her 20th birthday, Willow made her feel safe.

Willow watched emotions dancing in Tara's eyes. She wasn't very happy with the thought of Tara returning to this place she had walked away from so long ago. Willow knew that she would do everything in her power to protect Tara from experiencing that ever again, but she understood the conflict. Willow knew this woman, and knew Tara would never forgive herself if she didn't get closure. They had to talk about this, it was Tara's decision to make. Willow resolved to help Tara in whatever she decided to do.

Tara understood the conflicting thoughts in Willow's mind. "Donnie said dad wanted to see me and I...I think I need to see him, too. But I'm so scared, Will," she said as tears continued to streak down her face.

"Anything. Anything you need to do Tara, I am going to support you 100%. I will go wherever you want; support you in any way you need. Anya was right, you do deserve to get something you want from your father and I want to help you get that."

Willow took Tara's hand and placed a gentle kiss on her palm. "Nothing can hurt you anymore. Or the little squirt in there," she patted Tara's belly. "I won't let anything happen to either of you, sweetie, I promise." She kissed Tara softly on the lips.

"I love you, Will. And I need you with me for this," Tara squeezed Willow's hand, timidly asking for reassurance.

"If you think I'm gonna let you out of my sight, Mrs. Rosenberg, you've got another thing coming," Willow smiled before tucking a strand of hair behind Tara's ear and kissing her nose.

"I really meant it when I said I love you, Will," Tara shifted closer to Willow.

Willow's heart soared as she held her wife closer. "I know, baby. I love you too. Now let's get you to bed, ok?" Tara nodded.

Willow gently removed Tara's slippers and assisted her into her comfiest pair of pajamas before helping her lay on her side under the covers. Willow took note of how easy it was to help her lover change -- all of Tara's bohemian pregnancy clothes buttoned up the front. Willow's thoughts whirred and she filed the information away in her brain under factoids that might make caring for their unborn child easier.

Willow tucked a fluffy pillow under Tara's swollen belly before changing into her own sleep wear. "Tara, sweetie? Are you comfortable? Can I get you anything?"

Tara let her eyes drift shut. "Yes, Will, I'm comfortable, thank you. Can I, um...would you mind maybe holding me for a little while?"

Willow smiled and felt her chest tighten with the intensity of love she felt for this woman. "Of course, silly. That was my plan all along!" Willow climbed into bed and snuggled up close to her wife, wrapping her arms around her swollen belly. She felt Tara let out a content sigh and close her eyes.

Willow hesitated for a moment before asking the question that plagued her mind: "When do you wanna go see your dad?"

Tara snuggled further into Willow's gentle embrace before replying. "I think we can leave in a couple of days. Right now I just wanna stay here in your arms for a little while..." she whispered.

"Your wish is my command." Willow replied, pressing her lips to the silky warmth of Tara's hair and closing her eyes.

Willow slowly parked the SUV close to the neglected front porch and turned the engine off before letting out a tired sigh. She had been driving all day in the rain that turned occasionally into snow and she was sore and exhausted. Tara hadn't said much during the last hour and Willow assumed that the proximity of her childhood home, and the associated memories, were having a deep effect on her. Willow turned to face her silent wife, whose eyes were currently fixed on the door. She then noticed Tara's knuckles turning white from the tight grip she had on the door handle.

"Tara?" Willow's concerned inquiry wasn't enough to get her wife's attention. Gently, she reached for Tara's left hand and wrapped it in hers. The blond turned slowly towards her, her eyes glistening with unshed tears.

Willow's heart sank. "Are you sure you want to do this, baby?"

Tara nodded gently and squeezed Willow's hand tighter. Years of memories were crashing into her mind and fighting for dominance. Her lower lip was trembling and while she was unbuckling her seat belt she felt a wave of nausea arise from the pit of her stomach.

Willow ran her fingers through Tara's hair before placing a kiss on the blond's sweaty forehead. Tara met her gaze and what she saw in those blue eyes almost paralyzed her: she saw a lost little girl struggling to do the right thing.

The moment was interrupted by the front door opening to reveal a thin-bearded man carrying a shotgun. The man approached the driver's side fast and knocked on the window. When Willow lowered it she could see Donnie's features in the heavy rain. He looked surprised, but then set his gaze on his sister and his face seemed to soften.

"Tara, you came," he stated. His voice sounded strained but relieved. "Why don't you and your... friend come in. It's cold out here."

Tara nodded and Willow pulled the parka hood over her head and raised the window. She reached for an umbrella on the backseat, swiftly getting out of the car. She opened the umbrella and jogged to the passenger's side where Tara was already getting out of the car. Willow held the umbrella over their heads and gently guided Tara towards the porch, Donnie following close. He opened the door for them and took their coats. It was then that he noticed Tara's bulky belly.

"You're pregnant?" he asked, his blue eyes open wide in shock.

"That would be the understatement of the century, Donnie," Tara replied, a little harshly. She chastised herself for her reaction, they didn't need a confrontation right now. She tried to change the subject. "Where's Dad?"

Donnie blinked; he still hadn't recovered from the shock of seeing his pregnant sister. He shook his head as if trying to brush off the questions raiding his brain. "He's upstairs in his room," he pointed his chin in the direction of the stairs.

Willow felt lost. She wasn't sure what Tara expected from her in this situation, so she decided to be ready for whatever her wife needed. She stuck her hands on the back pockets of her jeans and rocked back and forth on the balls of her feet, watching the exchange between brother and sister. Then she saw Tara take a few tentative steps towards the stairs. She looked from Donnie to Tara again, until Tara's voice caught her attention.

"Will, come on," and she extended her left hand towards the redhead.

Donnie tried to object, "I don't think..." he was silenced by a pair of blue eyes glaring at him. Defeated, he raised both his hands and turned to disappear into the kitchen.

Willow was surprised at Tara's strength. It wasn't until she took her wife's hand and noticed the slight trembling that she realized how hard this was for her. She gave the hand in hers a reassuring squeeze and mouthed 'I love you'. Tara smiled and guided them both up the stairs.

Willow walked beside Tara, her eyes taking in the surroundings. This was where her lover had grown up, this was the place that saw her become the person that she was now. She stopped walking when they got to a closed, large oak door. Sensing Tara's trepidation, she turned to face her. She knew that it was time, and the thoughts she had been holding on to for the duration of their long drive came welling up to the surface.

"Baby, listen to me. There is something I need to remind you of before you go through that door, ok?"

Tara looked into the impassioned eyes of her beautiful wife and nodded for her to continue.

"Tara, you're not the frightened little girl he once knew. You're a smart, kind, caring, strong, beautiful, sexy and amazingly strong woman now. One I'm extremely proud of," Willow kissed Tara's lips. "And you have me and our little squirt here to take care of you, so you're not alone. He can't hurt you anymore."

The words found a way to Tara's heart and eased her fear. Willow was right, she wasn't alone anymore and her father was an old, sick man... there was nothing to be afraid of.

Tara stood up straight and raised her hand to knock on the door before opening it. The room was illuminated only by the dim light of the nightstand lamp. Tara stepped into the room, with Willow in tow but had to blink a few times to adjust to the darkness of the room.

Tara let go of Willow's hand and moved closer to the bed where James Maclay was laying under the covers. His eyes were closed and his labored breath was raspy and ragged. She moved her hand to touch his, but stopped in mid-air. Instead, she decided to softly call out to him.

"Dad."

Blue-gray eyes fluttered open and widened at the sight before them. The old man tried unsuccessfully to sit up and Tara moved to help him. He looked extremely thin and pale, his face appeared coarse with prominent cheek bones and deep wrinkles. He motioned for Tara to give him some water from the glass beside his bed. After taking a few sips from the glass he caught Tara's hand between his own bony ones.

He spoke in a trembling, strained voice. "I'm glad you're here, Tara. I, I've missed you."

He then focused on Tara's pregnant belly. "You're with child, where's your husband?"

Tara turned to face an expectant Willow, who was still hidden by the darkness of the room. "Willow's right here, Dad."

"Willow?" The man squinted his eyes to look at the red-headed girl that had just stepped into the light. He remembered her from the Sunnydale fiasco when he tried to get Tara to come back home with him. "Ah, you." He turned back to his daughter. "What I meant was where is the father of my grandchild," he looked into his own reflection in Tara's eyes.

Tara remained silent for a fraction of a second before softly nodding in Willow's direction. "Willow is my wife and we're expecting this child together. If you have a problem with that then I don't see how our child could possibly be your grandchild," she stated, firmly. She saw the redhead relax and she turned to her father, her face the picture of calmness.

James was about to reply but decided against it. In front of him was a woman, not the girl he used to degrade. And that woman looked determined, strong... happy. And a grandchild? This was a blessing he had not anticipated. The thought made him happy, and it brought back the reason why he had asked for her in the first place. He was dying, there was no use in denying it anymore. If he expected his daughter to hear his apology for all the pain he had caused her, then he needed to prove to her that he loved her in spite of a lifetime of abuse.

He remained pensive for a few minutes. He then looked at his daughter and her chosen partner before sighing. "Willow?" he called. "Come closer, child. I can't see you in that light."

Tara let out the breath she didn't know she was holding and motioned for Willow to move closer to her. She understood what her father was doing and how hard it must have been for him to take that step. She appreciated the gesture for what it was: a peace offering, a hope to maybe erase some of the mistrust that was keeping them apart.

He looked at the smaller woman at his daughter's side. "You're a beautiful young woman, Willow. Please take good care of my daughter and my grandchild."

Willow couldn't believe what she was hearing. Was this the same man that had suddenly appeared in Sunnydale demanding his daughter to go back home with him? The same man that had made her lover believe she was a demon for so many years? Now this very same man was paying her compliments and asking her to take care of her family? She didn't understand and, while her first reaction was to take Tara's hand and run away, she knew her lover needed to do this. She could be supportive. So Willow took a deep breath and did what she had vowed to do a few days earlier.

"I'll do my best, Mr. Maclay." She took and squeezed Tara's hand before turning back to the man in front of her. "You can count on that."

The old man gave her a hint of a smile and nodded. "Thank you, Willow. You have no idea what that means to me."

He noticed Willow's protective posture towards Tara. "I know you don't know me well, and I am sure you have good reasons to want to stay by Tara's side. But I would like to ask a favor of you, there are a few things I need to talk about with my daughter, and if it is ok with you I'd like to do it in private? Would you mind asking Donnie to show you to Tara's old room? I assume you're both staying for the night; it wouldn't be wise to drive in this rain. I would love the chance to show you some hospitality. I am afraid I didn't make a good impression the last time we met."

Willow almost panicked. The thought of leaving Tara alone with this man was against each and every one of her instincts. She turned to face the blond silently asking for guidance. Tara's nod and the calm strength Willow saw in her blue eyes calmed her panic. Tara knew what she was doing, and Willow would give her the space to do it.

She kissed Tara's cheek. "I'll be downstairs. If you need me, just call, ok?" And with that she let go of her wife's hand and walked out the door.

Tara stood there, watching her lover leave until the voice of her father brought her back to the task at hand.

"Pull a chair over here and sit closer, child. There's something I need to say to you." He waited until Tara was comfortable before carrying on. "Tara, as you can obviously see, I'm dying."

Tara tried to object, but was effectively stopped by her father's weakened voice.

"I don't have much time, Tara. Please hear me out?" he pleaded and Tara nodded.

"You may be thinking that the proximity of death scares your old man and is making him do this, and you're probably right." He stared ahead, his gaze lost. "You know your father, Tara. I'm not a man of words and I guess what I'm trying to say is," he gulped. "Tara, I...I 'm sorry." The old man's eyes filled with tears but he held up his hand asking to be allowed to continue.

"I know I don't deserve your visit, but I am so grateful you came." He choked back a sob. "I treated you wrongly, child. I was wrong, so wrong. And I lost my only daughter because I was stubborn and hurtful." Tears fell freely down his face.

"I am a dying old man. I have these long days to think on my life and all I can think of every day is how truly sorry I am for how I treated you. I know I don't deserve your forgiveness. It would be wrong for me to even ask for it after how I treated you." He sobbed. "But Tara? You deserve my apology and to know that I am filled with regret over how I treated you."

He moved to touch her hand. "And now you are here ...and I swore that if I ever got the chance to talk to you again; if you ever gave me that chance, that the first words you heard from me would be an apology. Tara. I am sorry. So very sorry." He held his daughter's hand to his lips.

Tara was torn. She had never seen her father like this, so vulnerable, so human. She sat on the edge of the bed by his side.

"Oh, Dad." She tried to swallow back the tears, unsuccessfully. "I never really thought I'd see the day when you'd admit all of this." She sobbed. "And you have no idea how much I wanted you to say these words."

"I love you, Daddy, I always have. All I ever wanted was to be your little girl, and for you to love me. But you kept pushing me away, telling me I was useless, that I was not worthy of being loved." She sniffed. "And you hated the magic. It was the only thing I had left of her, and you tried to take it away from me."

James Maclay realized the extent of the pain he had put his daughter through. "You are my daughter and I should have treated you with love... but I failed. I failed you, I failed your mother and I failed myself and it is my greatest regret." He wept.

Tara kissed his forehead. "Thank you, Daddy, for telling me this. You don't know how much this means to me."

He opened his arms, welcoming her, and they hugged for a long time. When they separated, James stared at Tara's belly.

"May I?" He tentatively asked. Tara took his weak hand and placed it on her belly.

He was rewarded with a strong kick that brought happy tears to his eyes. Tara was going to be a mother. James was moved, he didn't think he'd get a chance to meet this little human being, but he wanted to give his grandchild something to remember him by. "Before you leave, there's something I want to show you," he stared into his daughter's eyes. "In my closet, top left drawer, there's a small box. Can you please bring it to me?"

Tara moved to retrieve the wooden box and handed it to her father before sitting on the edge of the bed. She saw the old man lift the lid and take a small tin soldier from it, which he handed to Tara.

"This was my favorite toy as a kid. I want you to have it." He placed the soldier on Tara's palm. "Maybe, if Willow's ok with it, you can give it to your child?" His voice was small, pleading.

Tara looked at the toy in her hand and closed her hand around it, tears flowing freely from her eyes. "I'm sure Willow will love it, Dad. So will your grandchild."

James wiped the tears from his eyes. "I think you should go to bed, Tara. I'm a little tired, and you must be tired too."

"You're right, I am. And I'm sure Willow's worried." She stood up. "I'll see you in the morning?"

Tara smiled at the thought of her lover pacing back and forth in her old room. "I should probably get back to her before she starts chewing on her fingernails."

"Yes, dear. I'll see you in the morning. Now go get some rest."

Tara nodded and left the room. She reached her old room and opened the door to find Willow meditating on the floor. The redhead looked tired and Tara approached her slowly, trying not to startle her. When she was close enough she placed her hand on the crown of Willow's head and massaged her scalp. She saw the corners of her wife's mouth turning up before her eyes fluttered open.

"You're back." Willow stretched and rose to her feet to wrap her arms around her wife. "Everything ok with your dad?"

"Yes, sweetie. Everything's ok." She disengaged from the embrace to placed the tin soldier on her nightstand. "Why don't we go to bed and I'll tell you all about it?"

Several hours later the women were awakened by a loud knock on the door.

"Tara, wake up! It's Dad." Tara recognized her brother's voice and got out of bed as fast as she could. Willow followed her closely into James' room and watched her kneel by his bed and check for his pulse. He was obviously not breathing.

Tara turned to his brother, tears trailing down her face. "When?"

Donnie helped her up and held her close. "A few minutes ago. He was having a hard time breathing and all of a sudden he just stopped," his voice sounded fragile and small.

Tara let herself go in her brother's embrace, reduced to a sobbing wreck. She cried bitterly for the loss of the father she had just found.

Three days later Willow was sitting comfortably on the recliner by Tara's bed, holding a small, sleeping, red-headed newborn in her arms. She kept tracing the baby's nose with her fingertips, or placing little kisses on his soft baby hair. She was about to start counting the fingers on his little hands when she heard a soft knock followed by the sound of the knob turning. She sat up to see Buffy's face peaking from behind the door and she promptly held her index finger to her mouth so that the slayer would know Tara was sleeping.

Buffy entered the room followed by Dawn, Xander and Anya who were carrying multiple teddy bears and 'It's a boy!' balloons. Dawn swiftly maneuvered around her sister to beat her to the baby and Willow hesitatingly relinquished her precious cargo.

The rest of the gang gathered around Dawn and the little boy, who by now was awake and making gurgling noises. Suddenly, the baby let out a loud burp, eliciting a heartfelt laugh from all the Scoobies.

Willow, remembering her slumbering wife, attempted to make her friends keep quiet. But, it was too late, the blond was already trying to sit up. Willow moved to assist her wife and placed a gentle kiss on her pale lips before sitting on the bed next to her.

Anya decided to address the newly awakened mother. "Xander said it'd be polite of me to ask you how you're feeling, but I think it's pretty obvious considering how pooped you look."

Xander looked like his head was about to explode as he threw his hands in the air. "Anh! You know what? I give up, from now on I won't even try to make you understand human social interactions. It's not like you ever listen to me, anyway."

Tara laughed and five heads turned towards her. "Actually, I feel great. I don't know what they're giving me for the pain, but right now I'm the happiest woman alive!" She took Willow's hand and kissed her palm.

Willow tucked a strand of hair behind Tara's ear. "I find that hard to believe, Mrs. Rosenberg, since you've just made me the happiest woman on the face of the earth." She punctuated her statement with a tender kiss on Tara's nose.

"Oh please, will you stop it already with the cuteness? I want to hear the gory details." Dawn replied after taking Willow's place in the recliner.

"Yes! How come we go home to change after being here for almost 20 hours and the baby pops out three minutes after we leave?" Buffy asked in mock indignation.

"Not to mention that we never got to change." Xander added.

Willow pinched her nose, feigning disgust. "That is evident, Xander Harris." She smiled.

The brown-eyed man stuck his hands in his pockets. "Says the woman in the not-so-pristine scrubs and blood-stained shoes."

The exchange was interrupted by the cries of a hungry infant. Dawn handed the baby to Tara who moved to untie her gown. Seeing Tara's milk swollen breast about to be exposed nearly caused Xander's eyes about to bulge out... and Anya swiftly moved her hands to cover them.

An embarrassed Xander moved to the door. "Ladies, I'm gonna go get some coffee. I'll be back in..." he looked at Willow who was currently showing 10 fingers up. "Ten. Ten minutes. I'll...I'll see you all later."

Dawn laughed at Xander's cuteness. She turned to face the new mommies. "Have you thought of any names, yet? If so, we'd like to know. There's money involved, you know." She sat on the edge of her seat enthusiastically awaiting their response.

Willow and Tara shared a knowing look. They had discussed this on the way home from the Maclay's farm. Tara looked at the three expectant women. "I can't believe you're all betting money on our son's name!"

Willow laughed before taking her wife's hand in hers. "May I, sweetie?"

Tara squeezed Willow's hand and nodded. "Go ahead. Do the honors, baby."

Willow cleared her throat and puffed out her chest. "My lovely wife Tara and I are proud to present you our firstborn son, James Rosenberg-Maclay."

End of Flashback

The boy got out of bed and walked to his small desk where he kept some of his toys. He rummaged through the drawers until he found what he was looking for. He cradled the old tin soldier in his hands and walked back to lay on his bed by his mother.

"So that's why you named me after grandpa." The redheaded boy snuggled close to his mom.

Tara smoothed his hair back. "Yes, Jimmy. Do you understand why I told you this story?"

"I think I do, Mama." he wrapped his little arm around Tara's leg. "People can realize they've made mistakes and ask for forgiveness, no matter how big the mistake was."

Tara caressed her son's back. "Yes, little man. We all make mistakes and we all have a chance to forgive and be forgiven."

"And forgiveness makes us better people, Mama." The boy stated with endearing conviction.

Willow had been watching the exchange from the doorway for the last couple of minutes and chose this moment to make her presence known. "That's right, squirt. It absolutely does." She walked over to the bed to kiss her son's temple.

"I came to kiss my favorite son goodnight," she ruffled his hair. "It's time to go to sleep."

He rolled her eyes at his mother. "Mom, I'm your only son..."

Willow laughed. "Does that mean you can't be my favorite?" She pinched his nose and watched him smile as his mothers tucked him in.

"Goodnight, Mama. Goodnight, Mom." The boy waved his little hand to his mothers.

"Goodnight, Jimmy." The women replied before turning the lights off and closing the door.

Jimmy brought the tin soldier to his lips and whispered in its ear. "Goodnight, Grandpa James." He set the toy on his nightstand before drifting off to sleep.

The End

[center]Image[/center]
[br]

Last edited by Kaia on Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:17 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

watty wrote:
I'm very pleased to present our guest-writer for our Sing a Song of Christmas series, who has bravely stepped in and written a wonderful and warm story for the holiday season. I won't spoil it further, but would like to express our thanks and appreciation for Kaia

I second that thank you!

What a fantastic story. I'm not ashamed to say I shed more than one tear while reading. "One Tin Soldier" was one of my favorite songs growning up and it never failed to make me cry. Having it be the foundation for a wonderful holiday tale has only increased my affection for the tune. Of course, that song will be stuck in my head for days...

Quote:
"People can realize they've made mistakes and ask for forgiveness, no matter how big the mistake was."

Tara caressed her son's back. "Yes, little man. We all make mistakes and we all have a chance to forgive and be forgiven."

"And forgiveness makes us better people, Mama." The boy stated with endearing conviction.

I can't think of a more powerful and appropriate message for the season. Thanks so much, Kaia

Last edited by mole on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:49 am 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

aaaahhh, second dibs! damn!

ETA: my friend, that was truly heartwarming and very Christmassy. Jimmy was just so cute! and there was this air of.....temnderness, that permeated the whole story. in willow and tara's interaction while she was pregnant, in the way tara tells her story to the little boy, in the way they both kiss him goodnight. it's gonna sound cheesy, but the love they have for each other, the love you wrote, wrapped itself around my heart.

also, i read many stories about this.....tara's dad asking for forgiveness, and tara granting it....but, that i can remember, it's the first one i read where he dies right after. it's kinda sad.....and you captured perfectly tara's feelings at the injustice of it all, here:

Quote:
She cried bitterly

her bitterness is justified, and therefore very touching :aww

you really are an amazing writer, and you gave birth to this with such short notice! i'm really impressed.

(see, i told you you'd write it in time.....how did you do in the end? :hmm)

(would it be a bad time to ask for an Old Fire update? ;)) )

and watty.....yes, that's surely an achievement :P but, putting my one-track mind aside for a moment, it really *was* sensual :hmm i swear :-D

i can't wait for the next story. these joint projects are sooooooo good!

"When you get excited about something, one might imagine you as a small, maniacally grinning rubber ball, which someone throws at the wall in an enclosed room, and goes bouncing off every surface for about 15 minutes."
- Mudrat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:39 am 
23. Volumey Text

That was a great story.

I hadn't heard of the song, One Tin Soldier before reading this so I went and looked it up. It reminded me a bit of the poem, The War Prayer.

Your story definitely fit in with the tone of the song. Well done :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:05 pm 
30. Sweaty and Kinda Gay

K, what an awesome story! Little Jimmy is so sweet and smart. And I enjoyed the fact that he's just like Willow, with his fascination for sorting. :luv I can imagine that he wants to be just like his Mom :) ...what great detail.

I always like stories where Tara has to confront her past and put to rest the things that happened between her and her father. I think that theirs is such an interesting dynamic.

I really love the way you wrote this story; there was a perfect balance between Willow's support of Tara and her want to protect Tara: ie: the way she accompanied Tara upstairs to meet James Maclay without question and just as readily left the room when she saw that Tara had everything under control. And I liked the way you illustrated Tara's strength throughout the whole story, first with little Jimmy and then again in the flashback when revisiting her past. That was just amazing, and I think you're an amazing writer.

Thank you for adding yours to the other great RKT stories. :kgeek :-D You are an amazing writer. :love

xoxo
Emms

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:05 pm 
3. Flaming O

Yay! Two more RKT stories...

watty - Mistletoe And Wine - A fantastic and somewhat quirky Wishverse-y tale. I really like the idea of their truce reflecting that Christmas Truce between the British and Germans during World War One. Quite an interesting concept and very nicely done. Although she didn't have much 'screen time', I also totally loved Kendra. There was just something about her calm and collected presence that appealed to me. I can just imagine her being the more mature long suffering 'big sister' of the two 'bratty' Slayers. I'm definately getting a humourous disfunctional family vibe. Giles constantly on the sauce was good for a giggle too.

The risky courtship of Vampire Willow and White Hat Tara was of course the highlight! Especially the screw-em all 'tude at the end. Ah, young evil undead love...

Kaia - One Tin Soldier - A beautiful and powerful sentiment within this tale of domestic bliss and personal family closure. Tara's strength was very heartening and naming lil Jimmy after her enstranged father was a lovely touch. Overall a real feel good well written story. Thank you for sharing!

Loving the mixture of Christmassy W/T inspired goodness guys. Great stuff!^^

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:44 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Kaia - wow. Welcome and thank you. This story is absolutely beautiful. I truly love forgiveness as a concept. I mean, well, that sounds kind of dumb. I mean everyone believes in forgiveness right? But I mean. It's just one of the greatest gifts there is. And it's a gift you give yourself so it's so perfect. I love the sweetness of this story. The way Tara tells her son the truth about his grandfather is really wonderful and he is so open to hearing what she has to say. Her story is painful but it's really beautiful too in terms of the completion she can share with her father and with Willow too. And then the flashback has Jimmy's birth in it. How wonderful. Again, I say thank you.

PS: My friend is having a baby boy next month and she's naming him Caia which she says is Rock or Mountain in Turkish.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:43 am 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

No message is more meaningful than peace on earth, tolerance and forgiveness. If a 4 year old can grasp that, sometimes I wonder what's going on with our so-called leaders. :-| Political statements aside, I loved this story very much. From the early interactions between Tara and Jimmy that was so natural and loving; to the flashback where her emotions were really put through the wringer; to the end image of Willow leaning on the doorframe watching her family.

There are times when i think about the vastness of the universe and the eternalness of time; and then to how small we are. Will our existence and passing make any difference at all? No wonder people are scared of death, because ultimately our death doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. So it takes a very brave man to face the demons and admit remorse, on his deathbed. I'm glad Tara's dad sent for Tara, I'm glad they reconciled and I'm glad he left a legacy to his grandson that was not full of bitterness and regrets.

I'm also extremely proud of Tara. To go back home, heavily pregnant and with her emotions and hormones already raging wild. And also of Willow, though mainly in the background physically, she's Tara's rock, it's so great to see her unconditional love and support.

I know how much care (and blood and sweat) you put into this story, Karinna. So thank you for sharing and I echo your thanks to P for her understanding. Sushi awaits. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:09 am 
21. Geek Infested Roots

I am so glad that Kaia stepped up to the plate to replace Janna, because she's given what may very well be the best story of this series. (I say that with some trepidation, since we got a lot more coming, and I know of some people who may end up giving a better one.)

I really liked the interactions between Tara and Jimmy, which kinda reminded me about the interaction I created between Tara, Willow and Amber when I wrote "Working Through the Pain" and "One Day at a Time". It's kinda cliche I think to have a young kid who knows more about the situation than the adults do, but here, as there, it kinda works.

I'm also glad to see that Tara, in all her preggers glory, make peace with her family. Nothing like a child to bring people together, even if it's only for a short time.

Kudos to you, K. And thanks for stepping up. Now bring on the next story. :)

Last edited by SithLordWiccan on Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:35 am 
17. Mega-Witches

Kaia, what a great and heartwarming story! I so enjoyed seeing WT so happy and stable together and little Jimmy, also. Kids, I tell you - when they're young we say things to them "You're a big boy now" when they clearly are not, and then we mourn it that they grow up so fast. Anyway, a tangent. Like Debra, I appreciate forgiveness as a concept, because I think it would be so hard to forgive someone who put you through something like Tara had been through. I work on forgiveness but it doesn't come easily. And one of the things I worry about is that the people I want to forgive, that I won't be able to do it until they're dying - or dead. Which is a chilling thought.

Anyway, clearly your story was not only well-written, but it was also thought-provoking. Thank you so much for writing it and sharing it with us!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:06 am 
9. Gay Now

:-D

You did it! (I knew you could)

:letter

...and now that all our frantic scrambing to finish is done, I have a few words to say:

Karinna you are amazing! Y'all should know that she pulled this story off in a *very* limited amount of time with a huge exam in internal medicine hanging over her head (which she aced, of course). Sorry, sweetie, but it was a miracle and you deserve credit!

So, onto feedback: I must echo the sentiments of others when I say that the topic of forgiveness is perfect for the season... and how appropriate for Tara, who has forgiven so much in her lifetime to teach that lesson to her son.

Tara has so much to forgive, and her father has a lifetime's worth of wrong to apologize for -- but isn't it just like Tara to grant forgiveness? I can only imagine what it would feel like to have somone who had done so wrong by you apologize so earnestly and with so much personal regret... and to lose that person right afterward? Angst.

I am glad that Tara got that chance, and that the last words she and her father shared were ones of love... and that he was able to pass something on to his unborn grandson.

I also thought that the Willow you wrote was lovely -- matured and ready to be supportive of and strong for Tara when she needed her. :x As I have already said to you, but must mention again, I see the naming of little JImmy as part of the Jewish tradition of providing a resting place for a loved one's soul by passing on their name. In my mind it was Willow's idea, and it just makes me want to give that whole family a big hug,

:love

db

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:13 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

db wrote:
Karinna you are amazing! Y'all should know that she pulled this story off in a *very* limited amount of time with a huge exam in internal medicine hanging over her head (which she aced, of course). Sorry, sweetie, but it was a miracle and you deserve credit!

i second that!

i wanted to add two things: first, to alex: i don't think it's a question of certain stories being better than others, really. i personally don't like to compare them because each and every one of them is beautiful for different reasons. i find it difficult to judge one better than another, thinking that they're written with different styles, from different people, treating different topics from different points of view. so, IMHO, every one should be appreciated in its own uniqueness, and not in comparison to the others. of course, this is only my opinion, and i wouldn't dream to impose it on anyone else, but just to express it.

second thing, in my feedback for Mistletoe and Wine i forgot to mention that this:

Quote:
Willow could be very still when she was intense. Tara had never seen her so deathly still.

really hit me. i really had a visual in my head, willow's face, with those green, penetrating eyes, boring into me.....it was....chilling. and damn girlie, you are one hell of a writer!

so, uhm....when does the next story get posted, again?

"When you get excited about something, one might imagine you as a small, maniacally grinning rubber ball, which someone throws at the wall in an enclosed room, and goes bouncing off every surface for about 15 minutes."
- Mudrat

Last edited by Thianne on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:21 am 
18. Breast Gal

Aww... sweet without being at all sappy, that's a rare thing (luckily it seems to turn up here on Pens a lot). I really liked how Tara interacted with her father - very realistic, all that hurt still being with her, but underneath it there was always that desire to be loved by her father, because he's her father. Indeed, if it weren't for that, I doubt she'd have been hurt so much, and been so afraid to go back. It was heartwarming the way Willow unquestioningly stood by her, gave Tara every bit of support she needed, but let Tara be the one to lead the way - she knew it was something Tara had to do.

I caught echoes of two of my favourite Emms fics, too - Sunflowers, with Tara's father asking forgiveness (in one form or another), and YMMS, with Willow and Tara's 'little man'. If they were intentional, they were very nicely-judged - they brought to mind those fics, but never overshadowed this one.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:20 am 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Kaia,
Thank you for the title-inspired trip back into my childhood in the 70's.
I hadn't thought about that song in years but, as others have noted, I always identified with the themes of forgiveness, peace, and brotherhood which the lyrics spoke of and the music for the song was the perfect lyrical accompaniment of hootenanny folk/rock.
Those themes of brotherhood, compassion, and forgiveness are especially timely in our contemporary world due to all of the negative vibe merchants out there.
Proving once again, as the RKT team has on so many occasions, that there are very few themes in which Willow and Tara can not be introduced in a way which is instructive and also entertaining as well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:03 am 
23. Volumey Text

[center]Image[/center]
[br]

Title: Deck The Halls
Author: Justin'
Email: msparshatt@gmail.com
Rating: R
Disclaimers: The BtVS characters and settings all belong to Mutant Enemy, Fox et al.
Song: Deck The Halls
Summary: Willow and Tara go to buy Christmas decorations and some stuff happens.
Thanks to the rest of the team for being so much fun to work with and to Kaia for filling in for Jana.

Willow was stood in her and Tara's room, looking between a pair of tops. She had a look of concentration on her face as she tried to decide which to wear. She was distracted from this choice by a bird outside, the same bird which had plagued her during the early hours of the morning. Looking outside she saw that the sky was clear and that a night of snowfall had left the area covered in a blanket of white. This gave everything a bright, optimistic appearance. Today, Willow decided, is going to be a good day.

"Weren't you choosing between those tops when I left," Tara asked. She was standing in the doorway, with one hand on the door frame and the other on her hip, an amused expression on her face.

"Yeah, well I want to make sure I've got the right top. You know, adorn we now our gay apparel."

"I think that means decorations. Besides, any apparel that's adorning you counts as being gay apparel."

Willow looked at the tops a moment then with a groan of frustration she said, "Okay then, you decide, which should I wear?"

Willow couldn't believe how happy she was feeling at the moment. She was walking to the shops, hand in hand with Tara. They were both wrapped up warm in thick coats and boots. The snow crunched under foot as they walked over it. The street was alive with activity, people getting their Christmas shopping done. Everyone was talking and laughing and seemed to be as happy as Willow was feeling. That is everyone except for one girl. Willow almost hadn't spotted her. She was sitting quietly on a wall, a look of loneliness and sadness on her face. She seemed to notice Willow watching her and she looked round in surprise.

"Let go of it, it's mine."

"No, it's mine."

“Mine, mine, mine!”

Willow was broken from her thoughts by the sound of an argument further down the street. Three young men were fighting over what looked to be a laser. They each had one hand on the laser and were trying to pull it to them, while they slapped at the others with their free hand. None of them seemed to be having any luck, and they just spun round, with no end to argument seeming likely. Willow turned away from them with a shake of her head and looked back where the girl had been, but she'd gone.

"Is something wrong?" Tara asked she had always been good at reading Willow's mood, their years of marriage had further improved that.

"There was a girl who looked so sad, but she's gone now."

"Maybe her mother came for her."

Willow nodded. "You're probably right."

“We should look in here," Tara said indicating a small decoration shop. Inside the shop was much larger than the exterior had made it appear. Scattered round the interior were various trees and boxes of decorations. Groups of people were wondering around inspecting them, while making various noises of appreciation. The further they walked into the shop the larger it seemed to get. One thing that struck Willow as being particularly odd was there didn't seem to be anywhere to pay, but she soon shrugged that off as being unimportant.

"Are you sure about getting a fake tree?" Willow asked.

"It just doesn't seem right to cut a tree down when we're only going to have it up for a month."

"I suppose you're right." Willow noticed one tree with a string of pretty silver balls going round it. For some reason she felt drawn to them. As she got closer she saw that a couple of the balls had been smashed. She was going to turn away when something reflected in one of the balls caught her eye. Looking closer she saw it was one of the men who'd been arguing over the laser, Warren she thought his name was. While before he had been wearing jeans and a t shirt, he was now wearing a Santa outfit. Looking into Willow's eyes he reached into the suit and pulled out a long barrelled revolver. Willow grabbed Tara's arm and started to pull her out of the way, then there was a bang and everything went black.

Willow was driving along a free way, with Tara sleeping in the seat next to her. The snow was falling heavily and even with the wipers going she was having trouble seeing. She leaned forward and put the radio on, just in time to catch the end of the song

Heedless of the wind and weather
Fa la la la la, la la la la.

As the song died away the announcer came on saying, “Remember folks there's just seven more shopping days till Christmas and there is a monster in the cellar.”

“What?” Willow said. “What did you just say.”

“I think he said something about a monster discount at some shop.”

“Oh, I think I must be getting tired.” Willow emphasised this by yawning.

Leaning over Tara trailed one hand along Willow's arm. “I can think of something that will help keep you awake.”

“What...” Willow noticed the expression on Tara's face and realised what she meant. All she could think to say was, “While I'm driving?”

“Well this is all just a dream, so we might as well enjoy ourselves.”

Willow opened her eyes to find herself lying on a couch. It was a comfortable couch with a soft filling. her head was resting on a large cushion and there was a blanket pulled up round her. Willow pulled the blanket up closer, enjoying the feeling of warmth.

Seeing she was awake Tara gave her world famous lop-sided smile and asked, “How are you feeling?”

Willow sat up, still keeping the blanket around her. "Better. A lot better. So what are you doing?"

Tara gestured to the decorations she had sorted out. "I'm decking the halls with boughs of holly."

"Well I suppose it is the season to be jolly." Looking round Willow said, "I hope Buffy and Dawn appreciate all our work."

Tara looked confused. "Who?"

"Uh. I mean Angela and Meghan. I don't know why I said Dawn and Buffy, as I don't know anyone with those names. I guess it was the cold talking."

"It must have been." Tara turned back to the decoration she had been holding. "do you recognise these?"

"No. I guess they must be new. I see two of the balls have broken already."

"It's just they look familiar." Tara shook her head. "Oh well."

Glancing out the window Willow noticed a young girl sitting on the swing. "Meghan's looking really sad."

"I guess she's missing her parents."

"Oh yeah." Willow mentally kicked herself. Meghan's parents had been killed by a burglar this time last year, which was why she was now living with her aunt Angela.

Getting up Willow started walking toward the door. As she did so Meghan started to grow paler, and paler. she also seemed to be choking on something. Willow suddenly felt cold and she was almost overcome by a feeling of dread. Reaching the door Willow raised her hand to the glass. She wanted to go out to Meghan, but something stopped her. Meghan turned to one side and coughed up a stream of blood.

Behind her, Willow heard sleigh bells and someone saying, "Ho ho ho!" Spinning round she saw Tara lying on the floor, a red stain spreading above her chest.

Willow felt herself falling backwards into an abyss.

“Wow, that was fun,” Willow said.

Tara put on the indicator and pulled out to pass another car before saying, “You can say that again.” She turned and grinned at Willow.

“Wow, that...” Willow stopped and looked around as if only just noticing something. “Hey, how long have you been driving?”

“A couple of hours now. We're almost there.”

Willow turned to see what Tara had been looking at and saw it was a sign saying, “Sunnydale, fifty miles”

Turning away Willow went back to trying to work out how she'd suddenly switched places with Tara, and how so much time had gone. “Did I fall asleep?” Willow asked.

“I think we're both asleep.”

They both fell silent and for a while the only sound was the wipers squeaking against the window.

Willow woke up with a rush of excitement. They were going to decorate the house today. Though that wasn't the best bit. A couple of weeks ago she had seen a decorations she thought that Tara would like and bought it for her. She just hoped Tara didn't think it was silly. Getting out of bed she caught sight of herself in the mirror and was surprised at how young and small she looked. Then she wondered why she was surprised, after all she was only ten.

Willow got dressed quickly then rushed out, almost running into Tara.

"Hey Willow, looking forward to getting the decorations up."

Willow nodded, she was always a little tongue tied when around Tara.

"We better get Meghan. You know how hard she can be to wake up."

They went into Meghan's room and as Tara had predicted she was still asleep. She was a pretty young girl but far too pale. She whimpered slightly in her sleep, as if she was having a bad dream.

Willow and Tara went to opposite sides of her bed and bending over slightly they shouted, "Meghan Kristin Fletcher wake up, Right now!"

Meghan woke up with a start. "Oh, morning Willow, Tara."

"Girls, your breakfast is almost ready," A voice called from downstairs.

"Coming mom," Tara called back.

"Ooh, pancakes should go in bellies," Willow said. Willow and Tara rushed downstairs while Meghan got dressed.

"Well I see you two are up bright and early," Mrs Maclay said, with a laugh in her voice.

"Well we're eager to get started," Tara said.

"Willow, will your parents be back before Christmas?"

"No the conference doesn't finish till next year. It's okay, though, because I like it here."

"And we like having you. What about Meghan's aunt?"

"She should be back by the end of the week."

"Well that's a shame as..." The conversation seemed to fade away as Willow became aware of something in the cellar. Something malevolent. She took a step away from the door, moving closer to Tara.

She was snapped out of it as Mrs Maclay said, "Well you two have breakfast while I check on Meghan."

While they were eating Tara said, "Have you ever had a dream where it was so real that you still thought it was real after you woke up?"

"Yeah, a few times. Why?"

"I had one last night."

"What happened?"

"Well we were adults in it. We were renting a cabin with a couple of other women. I think they might have been sisters. Then we were suddenly somewhere else, but it all got confusing. The thing is I can't shake the feeling that that was real and this is the dream."

Willow reached over and pinched Tara.

"Hey!"

"See, this isn't a dream."

Tara made a hmmph sound, but she brightened and said, "Well I suppose that was better than punching me in the nose."

Willow felt confused by that comment. "Why would I do that?"

"I don't know."

All through the conversation Willow had been trying to get up the courage to tell Tara about the decoration. Realising she wasn't going to get much more time she said, "Tara, a couple of weeks..."

At that moment Mrs Maclay came down with Meghan. "Willow there's a couple of bags down in the cellar that we need, could you be a sweetie and fetch them."

Willow went to the door and hesitated. She didn't want to go down there, but the only alternative was to say she didn't want to do it because she thought there was a monster down there. Telling herself to stop being silly she grabbed the handle.

"Willow stop, it's..." Meghan started.

It was too late, Willow had already opened the door.

There was a deep roaring sound, then a monster wearing a red coat came rushing up the stairs.

Willow kept an eye out for any signs. She didn't want to miss the turning because of the bad weather. So she easily spotted the sign saying, 'Sunnydale, one hundred miles'

“Hey, are we going the wrong way?”

“What?”

“It's just before we were fifty miles from Sunnydale but now it says one hundred.”

“Maybe we misread the last sign, it could have said one hundred and fifty.”

“I suppose so, I mean I can barely see in this snow.” Then another idea occurred to Willow. “Or maybe we're not going to Sunnydale.”

“Then where are we going?”

Willow lay in bed watching Tara. She watched the way the growing light shone off her hair, watched the way her chest moved as she breathed. She had done this thousands of times and would never grow tired of it. As Tara began to stir, Willow kissed her gently on the cheek. "Morning."

"Morning to you too."

"Tara can I ask you something."

Tara rolled over so she was looking into Willow's eyes. "Anything."

"Why did you come back?"

"Oh Willow, how could I stay away?"

Tara started to kiss Willow. A light kiss at first, but it grew in intensity. They began to move their hands across each others bodies till...

Their was a loud knock at the door. They quickly pulled apart before the door opened and a young girl came in.

"Mommy, Mama. Why are you in bed? Come on we should get started." With that she danced out of the room.

"I guess someone's excited," Tara said with a grin.

"I was the same way, so I guess that she got it from me."

"I remember."

"You do?"

"I mean you must have told me." Tara frowned a moment, but it cleared and she said, "Come on, we don't want to keep the princess waiting." Tara pulled her dressing gown on as she said, “I'm amazed that Meghan's up. I mean normally she's really hard to wake up.”

“Yeah she can be a bear in the...” Willow stopped, frowning.

“What's wrong.”

“I don't know, something just doesn't seem right. I keep getting the feeling that till a short while ago we were...”

“Somewhere else,” Tara finished, “Maybe more than one place,”

“But if that's true how did we get here?”

“I don't know. There seems to be a common thread. I mean the decorating and Santa and...”

They both turned to the door as Meghan came in again, “Come on you two. Follow me in merry measure.”

“Meghan, what is going...” That was as far as Willow got.

“Two hundred miles to Sunnydale,” Tara said, reading a sign at the roadside. “I guess we're definitely not going there.”

“Maybe this is just me but isn't it normal to know where you're driving before you set off.”

“That does seem logical. I don't think we came out here just to make love.”

“Yeah. I mean it was great but driving a few hundred miles to do it does seem excessive.”

“Especially when we can do it at home.” Tara frowned, “Where is home?”

“I don't know. Is it in Sunnydale?” Willow suddenly looked around, a panicked expression on her face. “Where's Meghan? We didn't leave her behind did we?”

“I think she's lost.” Tara's brow furrowed as she considered this. “I think maybe we're supposed to find her.”

Willow was filled with a feeling of wrongness and she didn't know why. She was here at the school with Tara to pick up their daughter, just like they did every day. Yet she couldn't shake the feeling that she didn't belong here. That this was all a sham.

“Willow,” Tara said in a worried voice. Willow turned, it was obvious from Tara's voice, that she felt the same way she did.

“Tara, what's going on?”

“I don't know.” Tara shook her head, “I just know we don't belong here.”

“I remember a cabin and sisters and decorating.”

Tara nodded. Before she could say anything a young girl approached them saying, “Mom, Momma, fast away the old year passes.”

“There's that song again,” Willow whispered.

“Meghan, what's going on?”

“What do you mean? There's nothing going...” She stopped and looked at them both. “I didn't do it.”

“Do what?”

Meghan sighed. “Okay, I'll show you.”

Buffy listened a moment from the bottom of the loft, making sure she wouldn't be walking in on anything private. Not hearing anything she went up saying, "Guys? is everything okay up here?" She didn't get any response. She couldn't see any sign of Willow and Tara. There were several boxes piled around, a couple of which had been opened. On the floor there was a string of silver balls.

Buffy was about to go downstairs when she saw movement in one of the balls. She went to pick them up but couldn't see anything. “You're seeing things, Summers.”

After going back downstairs again Buffy asked Dawn, "Where are Willow and Tara?"

"I told you, up in the loft."

"I just went and they're not there."

"Well maybe they went out and we didn't notice them leaving."

"They would have told us, wouldn't they?"

"Well they didn't disappear into thin air."

"No I suppose not."

Willow and Tara were standing in the loft of a cabin. They immediately recognised it as the one they'd rented with Buffy and Dawn, though it was more cluttered than they remembered. Meghan was knelt on the floor a short distance away, going through a box. They could hear music coming from downstairs, it was Deck the Halls. Meghan looked up at them and said, "It was a year ago that it happened. I was staying at this cabin with my parents, I was just getting the decoration's out. My aunt bought these balls for me."

There was a loud bang from downstairs. A few moments later there was a scream then a couple more bangs. Meghan started going down the stairs, still holding the string of silver balls she'd been looking at.

There was a man wearing a Santa costume downstairs. He was holding a bottle in one hand and a gun in the other. His face was shadowed and had a demonic quality to it. He was staring down at the body of Meghan's mother.

Meghan took a step back, treading on a couple of the balls.

The man looked up and a slow smile formed on his face. "Ho ho ho." He raised his gun and fired.

Then they were back in the attic. "That's how it happened," Meghan said. "I don't know how you were pulled in here with me but I've been alone so long."

"We're so sorry this happened," Tara said.

"It doesn't matter. Now you're here we can be a family." She walked forwards and took their hands, looking up at them hopefully.

Tara knelt down in front of her and said, "Meghan we can't stay here. We don't belong here."

"But..."

"When we get out we'll do everything we can to help you," Willow said.

"We'll reunite you with your real family," Tara added.

"You promise?"

"We swear by the Goddess," Tara said.

“I'm starting to think that this road doesn't go anywhere,” Willow said.

“We have to get off it somehow, but there haven't been any turnings.”

“That's it,” Willow brightened. “Tara I have an idea. It'll either get us out, or kill us.”

Tara placed her hand on Willow's, their entwined. “I trust you.”

Willow spun the wheel round. The car jumped as it went off the road, then it plunged into the darkness beyond.

"They have disappeared into thin air," Buffy said as she stomped into the kitchen. "They're nowhere to be found."

Dawn rolled her eyes at Buffy's behaviour then asked, "Are you sure they didn't go out?"

"Willow's keys are still here and Tara didn't have one for the cabin."

"Maybe they thought they wouldn't need..." Dawn's words were cut off by a sound from upstairs. They both raced up to the loft, to find Willow and Tara there.

"Where have you been?" Buffy demanded.

Willow looked at Tara and said, "Do you want to get that or shall I?"

“Whoever's going to explain, can they do it downstairs?” Buffy asked.

Willow started to follow them down but stopped at the top of the stairs. She turned to Tara who was looking round the room with a quizzical expression on her face.

“I promise we'll do everything we can to help your daughter,” She said. “Where ever she is.”

A short while later Willow was using her computer to look at the papers for last year while Tara explained what was going on to Buffy and Dawn. After a while Willow said, "I've got it. A year ago Anthony Carver broke into this cabin and killed Mr and Mrs Fletcher."

"Then he killed their daughter," Tara filled in.

"No," Willow said, still reading the paper. She looked up at Tara and smiled. "She's still alive."

Willow and Tara raced through the halls of the hospital. They earned more than a few annoyed looks from the staff and patients, but were oblivious to this. "How do you know where she is?" Willow asked. Tara had seemed to know exactly where to go, but Willow didn't know how.

"I just know," Tara answered.

"What are we going to do?"

"We'll think of something." She stopped at one of the wards. “This is it.”

“Tara, The paper said that Meghan's lung had been punctured, I'm not sure what condition she'll be in.”

Tara nodded then knocked on the door.

"Come in," A voice said. They went in to find a quite small room which held a single bed, some chairs and some equipment. Meghan was lying on the bed and there was a woman, about their age, sitting next to the bed, her hand on Meghan's forehead. The woman looked up, and gave them a confused look. Starting to rise she said, "Hello, are you lost?"

"You must be Angela," Tara said, moving further into the room.

This just seemed to make the woman even more confused. "Have we met?"

"We know Meghan," Tara said. Looking at Meghan she had an idea. Turning to Willow she said, "Are you thinking what I am?"

Willow nodded and walked to the other side of the bed. Leaning over they both shouted, "Meghan Kristin Fletcher, wake up right now!"

"Listen, I don't know what you think you're..." Angela started to protest.

"The monitors," Willow said, pointing at the brain monitor. It was showing a sharp increase in her brain activity.

"You mean that worked?" Angela said, disbelief evident in her voice.

"She's still not awake," Tara said, sounding disappointed, she wasn't sure what else to try.

Willow turned to Angela and suggested, "Maybe we all have to do it.”

Angela looked dubious, but she nodded her consent. After a moment they all shouted, "Meghan Kristin Fletcher, wake up right now!"

Meghan's brain activity continued to rise. then her eyes began to move as her sleep became lighter. Finally they opened and she looked round the room.

"You're awake," Angela said.

"Aunt Angela," Meghan said. Then noticing the two other women she went on, "Tara, Willow, you came."

"We promised we would," Tara said.

"Would someone like to explain what's going on?” Angela seemed to be caught between feeling delighted that Meghan had woken up and annoyance at not knowing what was happening.

Tara turned to Willow and said, "I answered last time."

As they were leaving Tara said, "I can't believe she believed us."

"I don't think she did," Willow said. "I think since we'd helped wake her niece up she thought it'd be rude to call us insane."

Tara laughed. "I suppose that could be it."

“What did you sense?”

“Huh?”

“When we were back in the cabin, you seemed to sense something, then you said we would help your daughter.”

“I think it was some sort of spirit.”

“Meghan's parents,” Willow guessed.

Tara nodded.

“They pulled us into her coma. So we'd help her?”

“I think so.”

When they got back to the cabin they were met by a worried looking Buffy and Dawn.

“Are you both okay?” Buffy asked.

“Did you help that girl?” Dawn asked before they could answer.

“Yes and yes,” Tara answered smiling.

“We found her and woke her up from her coma,” Willow added.

Buffy stepped forward and took their hands. “I'm sorry about this.”

“Didn't you book a different cabin?” Willow asked.

“Yeah, you know there'd been a double booking,” Buffy answered, “Which is why we had to come to this one.”

“At the time it didn't seem strange,” Willow said. “Now though it seems like...”

“Destiny,” Tara finished.

One Year Later

“It's been an adjustment,” Angela said, sipping at a glass of mulled wine. Willow and Tara had been banned from having anything to do with decorating in order to avoid a repeat of “last years incident” So Tara has decided to spend the afternoon making pies. Willow and Angela had stayed in the kitchen to keep her company. “I mean I went from having no responsibilities to having a young girl to look after. It's... well at times it's been hard for both of us.”

“We understand,” Willow said. “A few years ago when Buffy was... sick we had to look after Dawn. There were times that wasn't easy.”

“I don't know why, but I get the feeling you'd make good parents.”

Tara turned away from the oven saying, “Well those should take...” She was interrupted by a crash from the living room. They all hurried through to find Buffy standing in front of a toppled Christmas tree with an ornament in her hand and a dumbstruck expression on her face. Dawn and Angela had collapsed to the floor with laughter.

Seeing the others Buffy instantly pointed at Dawn saying, “She did it.”

While Buffy and Dawn argued about who's fault it was Willow beckoned Tara back into the kitchen. “For the last couple of weeks I've been thinking about what Angela said. About us making good parents.”

“How can you have been thinking about what she said when she only just said it?”

“I mean I've been thinking about the thing she said, not the fact she said it. Anyway I think you'd make a good mother and I'm sure I'd be able to muddle along.”

Tara smiled, “You know false modesty really doesn't suit you.”

Willow grinned, a little sheepish but also a little smug, “Okay, I'd be brilliant. What do you think?”

“Well, You know what they say.”

“A merry companion is music on a journey?”

“I was thinking, 'Great minds think alike'. I mean I've been thinking the same thing. I'd like to start a family with you.”

Stepping forward Willow hugged Tara saying, “I love you so much.” Glancing upwards she went on, “Well would you look at that.”

Following Willow's gaze Tara saw some Mistletoe above them. “How did that get there?”

“Well it could have been a Christmas spirit, or merry poltergeists or maybe it was the Grinch who decided to put an end to his Christmas stealing...” Willow's explanation was cut off as Tara's mouth found hers and she was soon occupied by more important things.

[center]The End[/center]

[br]
[center]Image[/center]
[br]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:08 am 
9. Gay Now

dibs.

Justin - Hullo!

That was sweet and good and kind of like a mixture of different BtVS episodes on acid or something... you know the one where Willow is all drugged out on Rack's magic and keeps popping from one place to another until she's home on her floor and then there's a shower scene.... mmmm. shower scene.

Uh, I digress.

It also was reminiscent of the trapped-in-a coma show where Xander got chased by a crazy clown and Willow ended up on stage in a kimono... and the alternate reality Buffy episode where she lives in two realities, one is the BtVS reality and the other is a crazy-living-in-aninsane asylum reality....

Anyway, I liked that you made a story reminiscent of different BtVS episodes without being obvious, or take ing any plotlines from those actual shows. I don't know how you did it, but it was cool..

I was confused right along with Willow and Tara for quite a bit of the story... which I thought was inentional (it was, wasn't it? Go on, say 'yes' or I am going to feel like a dummy.).. Around 1/2 or 3/4 of the way through I figured it was some sort of trapped-in-a-Meghan reality loop, and it was nice to reach that conclusion myself before you reached the point in the story where all was revealed.

oh, yeah. and this:

Quote:
"Yeah, well I want to make sure I've got the right top. You know, adorn we now our gay apparel."

Made me giggle.

Good job Justin!

(and happy holidays).

db

Last edited by db on Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:14 am 
21. Geek Infested Roots

Second dibs!

ETA: Like db, I had a hard time trying to figure out the story. I read it about three times before I came back to leave fb, and I have to say that I still don't know what it is you were shooting for. Then again, I suspect that if found out, I'd be missing the point, wouldn't I?

Anyways, even though I didn't understand it, I did enjoy it. Good job. :)

Last edited by SithLordWiccan on Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:06 am 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

third dibs!

ETA: aaaaawwww! it was a it confusing at first, i have to admit, but when i caught up with where you were going with it, it was so sweet!

and the shouting of the name, well, that was just too funny! :lmao

thank you for sharing, jus *hug*

- Mudrat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:58 pm 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

Kaia - :clap I really liked this. Really, really. (Deep feedback, huh.) Really. Really really. I also couldn't help but think of the whole oxytocin (was it oxytocin, or some other hormone???) conversation in... oh, some other thread, when you described how happy Tara was after the birth. Tickled me no end.

Justin - Ya kept me guessing, but you also kept my attention. Cheers.

- Boschi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:13 am 
30. Sweaty and Kinda Gay

Justin, what a great little schizophrenic story, and in true Justin fashion you kept me guessing the whole time. I liked the twist at the end when it turned out that Meghan was simply in a coma, 'cos I was thinking by the time they'd flooped back to the cabin that Meghan was a ghost or something and I was getting a little freaked out. :paranoid :p

I liked the ending and how you neatly tied everything together. Great story, Boobaloo! :clap

xoxo
Emms

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:38 pm 
8. Vixen

Wow. I am so surprised/flattered/excited by the response 'One Tin Soldier' has gotten. I am also grateful to have been given the opportunity to tell this story, and I'd like to thank -again- the ones that made it possible for me to do this, either by means of subtle and gentle encouragement (I told you, watty, I do work better under pressure) and the tons of help with grammar and spelling (I'm not a native english speaker, after all...and the funny thing is that I really don't think i could write something like this in spanish, lol). In all, I had a terrific time and I'm really glad you kittens liked it.

So, lovely gatitos, thanks again for reading. Here are a few replies (i'm late, I know...sorry?):

Michelle: You got Dibs! :grin All I can say is that I hear you RE: having the song stuck in your head for days. LMAO. I'm really glad that the story evoked good memories for you. Thank you!

Valentina: I'm really glad that the love showed in their interactions. That was exactly what I was looking for, I wanted to show how strong the family bond was between and how much they meant to each other. It wasn't hard to find inspiration,hehe...and I found that listening to the right music does help your writing. :grin

I've read a few stories that touch the theme of forgiveness between Tara and her dad, too. And believe me, when db was beta'ing the part where James dies she asked me if he could, in any way, be spared or his death delayed for a few days. I understood at that point that she was asking for some time for Tara to enjoy his father, but I think the way it was written fits the story better...or at least it's the way it came to my head when I was planning it, i.e. I kinda built the story around that particular event, and it felt kinda weird to change it. Even if it feels unfair to you :p.

Quote:
see, i told you you'd write it in time.....how did you do in the end?

Lol. I turned into a hermit. That's how I did it. And if you were here you'd see me still grovelling at P's feet. But it was so worth it, wasn't it? Thanks, little one. And no, it's never a bad time to ask for an Old Fire update, but I doubt I'll be working on it in the near future because of theforementioned grovelling. Love you!

justin: I hadn't heard of the song either before I had to sit down and find one for this story. And I haven't read that poem, but I'm gonna look it up as soon as I get the time. Thanks, kind sir.

Emmy: Hola, Emmy! Thanks for your kind fb! I agree with you, it was really important for Tara and for the forgiving/healing process that Willow would be able to maintain the balance between being protective and being supportive. Had she gone large with the butch it would have made things worse between Tara and her dad, and had she not been there for Tara would have prevented Tara from being strong enough to face any of this. So, even from the background, she was essential. :derr

Uzu: Thank you so much for the kind words. :peace yo

Debra: You're welcome. :) You're right, forgiveness is a great give for everyone. And it brings so much peace of mind...I'm glad you thought it was sweet, I was kinda worried that it'd come up a sappy Christmas tale, lol. I dunno about Caia being a Turkish name, I know that Kaia is a female scandinavian name that means 'pure' (go figure!) and Caia is a female latin name that means 'to rejoice'. *shrug* In any case, I got the nickname from a 2yo cousin that couldn't say Karinna right, so he called me Kaia. Thanks for your comments, Debra!

watty: ¿Qué tal, wattyboss? (is it ok for me to call you that, now? :P) There's really no need to thank me, I should be thanking you for prompting me to write this story (well...I kinda did, didn't I? :P). You always leave great feedback, how do you do it? Maybe I need to take lessons from you, considering the quality of myfeedbacking (or lack thereof). I can't wait for sushi! Thanks again, buddy. For everything.

PS: Yes, it's a great avatar, isn't it? Thanks again. :wink

Alex: You're right, nothing like a child to bring people together. I'm glad you liked the story, thanks for your comments!

Sally: Lol. You're absolutely right RE: kids growing up so fast. Yes, forgiveness doesn't always come easily...but what a great gift it is when it does. I'm sure we all, at some point of our lives, will have to engage in the struggle of forgiving or being forgiven. Like Debra said, it's a gift that runs both ways and it always leaves a sweet aftertaste. I'm really flattered that you liked the story and W/T/J stable and happy together. Thanks for your fb.

doodlebug: I think saying 'miracle' is going a little overboard, but thanks. You played a key-role in this process and you, too, deserve credit for it. Hadn't it been for you and the time you invested in this, I doubt I would have met the deadline. So thanks, again. Onto your fb : it was really hard for me to write the interaction between Tara and James 'cause basically she had been wronged so much by him that at first I thought that his regret and his apology had to be grand and sensational for Tara to forgive him and be believable. But I realized that all it takes is honesty, because James was Tara's father and, in spite of all the damage, Tara always loved his father. She wanted the chance to be his daughter and to love and be loved as his daughter. And he gave her that, in the end, by being honest.

Willow. What can I say about Willow. I don't have much writing experience (this is my third fic) and both Old Fire and Palme d'or are written mostly from Willow's POV. I wanted to give Tara a shot, this was her story after all. And in this story Willow's role was to be protective and supportive of her wife. I tried to write her as the woman I think she would have become. And you're right, naming Jimmy was her idea. I know you wanted to see that moment written, maybe I can write it later, just for you too see...hehe.

Chris: Thanks! I do think it was, at least, a little sappy...hehehe. You're absolutely right, as i said to db James was Tara's father and she loved him and she wanted the chance to be his daughter, and that's what made her take that trip in the snow, heavily pregnant, to see her old man...without the certainty of what would come of that encounter.

You're right about Sunflowers and YMMS, but who doesn't love Emmy's fics? The 'little man' was intentional...I was totally aware of Spencer being called that while I was writing this story. Hopefully Emmy won't be mad that I used her line? :smug

Taralicious: I'm happy to bring back such nice childhood memories. Thanks!

Boschi: Hey, there! Yes, it was oxytocin. And we never really finished that convo, did we? It's a shame, it was an interesting topic. Thanks for the fb.

Now I'm off to read justin's story. Happy holidays, kittens!!! :bigwave

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:48 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Justin,
I too will own up to the fact that it took two readings of "Deck the Halls" before I saw beyond the surface ambiguity to where you were going with this and thus having pulled back the curtain, might I say :clap .
Very surreal as if David Lynch were a member of RKT; rather like Willow and Tara driving down Mullholland Drive but with much better sex scenes.
I was extemely pleased to see that being touched by Willow and Tara yields far more positive results than being "Touched By an Angel" ever did.
Even the astral plane can not deny Willow and Tara the chance to work their magic.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:04 am 
18. Breast Gal

That was really cool - part Buffy the Vampire Slayer, part The Twilight Zone, and kind of symbolic puzzle, with the repeating elements becoming clearer with each new incarnation of Willow and Tara's surroundings, and the pieces that didn't seem to fit into those moments of their lives emerging as the actual event that was behind it all.

(Also - I haven't yet re-read the story and compared it to the song, but - did each new sub-reality reflect a line of the song? That was really cool, and very smoothly handled.)

Great story - imaginative, different, thoroughly enjoyable :bow

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next