The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: UberCon '05 (Updated 11/7/05 - COMPLETE)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:49 am 
17. Mega-Witches

Title: UberCon ‘05

Author: SallyMcFine

Rating: PG-13

Disclaimer: I don’t own any of these characters and am not profiting from this story. No copyright infringement is intended.

Setting: AU. No magic, no vampires or slayers. Everyone is preparing to go to a three-day convention for their favorite TV show.

Notes: the convention is called UberCon ‘05 and it is primarily a fan-organized and fan-run convention that focuses on uber fan fiction. The convention takes place in a hotel about 2 hours away from Sunnydale.

[hr]
UberCon ‘05

Part 1 – Awakening

[blockquote]The sun rose over the mountain and bathed the two sleeping figures in the first warm rays of a new day.

The blonde lay on her back with her hair fanned out around her head in a golden nimbus. Her arms were splayed out on either side of her body and her chest rose and fell evenly and deeply.

In contrast, her companion was curled into a tight ball and slept restlessly. Her brow furrowed and her body jerked from one side to the other as if she was dodging some unseen terror. A light sheen of sweat bathed her forehead and neck, though the morning was cool.

The blonde awoke as if sensing her companion’s distress and sat up. She observed the other’s restless slumber but did not go to her immediately. Instead, she stood up and faced the rising sun. She extended her arms as high as they could go and tilted her head back so her body and face were bathed in the sunlight. She stretched and held this pose for several seconds.

Behind the blonde, her companion awoke with a start and cast her eyes around the campsite. Seeing her friend already awake, she relaxed and rested her head on one bent arm, watching the morning ritual that she was used to by now.

The blonde broke her pose and bowed her head briefly, murmuring some words. She turned and sat down next to her companion.

“Greeting the sun,” the recently awakened woman said.

The blonde nodded. “The early morning is the best time for me to re-establish the connection to the earth,” she replied.

“Because the magic is strongest then?”

She shook her head. “No, it’s mostly that my mind is clear in the morning so I’m more able to be open to the earth’s energy.” She changed the subject. “You had the nightmares again.”

“Yes.”

“Tell me about them?”

The woman’s lips pursed, but she complied. “It’s a little jumbled,” she began. “Just images without any connecting sequence of events. But terrible images. A man running away from me, terrified, and I thought at him flay, and his skin suddenly peeled back from his body. I could see his muscles, tendons, everthing. Then I thought break, and I broke every bone in his body. Then I thought burst, and I exploded all of his blood vessels. But he didn’t die instantly. He screamed for what seemed like forever. I can still hear his screams.” She paused, pensive.

The blonde took her friend’s hand and squeezed. “This is something that really happened, right?”

Her companion nodded. “The worst part was, it wasn’t enough. I wanted him to feel every single ounce of pain that I inflicted on him. And it wasn’t enough. I didn’t just want to kill him – I wanted to obliterate him. To erase his existence from the universe. If I had thought of it, I probably would have tried to send him to a hell dimension where he would endure eternal torture. But probably not, actually – I just wanted him dead.” She stopped as tears sprang to her eyes. Such a long speech was not usual for her.

Sea green eyes met azure, and the blonde stroked her companion’s hand encouragingly. “Are you ready to turn this over to the earth and seek her healing power?”

The other woman bit her lip, and whispered, “I’m not sure if the earth wants to hear this.”

The blonde didn’t reply, but just kept her gaze steady. I believe in you, she tried to convey through her look and touch. Some part of this must have gotten through, because finally they rose and walked to the spot the blonde had so recently vacated. She cast some grayish powder into a circle around them, and sat down across from her troubled friend. They joined hands and began to breathe.

The blonde’s breathing was measured and regular, and eventually her companion’s erratic breathing slowed down until the two women were breathing in unison.

“Gaia, hear this woman. She comes to you to unburden herself and to seek the healing light of your forgiveness. Hear her story and help her to become one with the peace you offer.”

The other woman slowly repeated the story she had told her blonde friend. She spoke in a low voice with a hint of a tremble beneath the words, but the constant pressure of her companion’s hands helped her voice gain strength as she reached the end of her tale.

The blonde again murmured a prayer of thanks and the two women dropped their hands. Their eyes met and they smiled at each other. The darker one broke eye contact first.

“Do you feel better?”

“A bit. I was skeptical at first, but every time we do a ritual like this, I feel like a bit of the darkness in my soul has lifted.” She raised her head and smiled sadly at the blonde. “I’m not sure if I deserve it, though.”

The blonde looked earnestly at her friend. “Gaia’s power to forgive and heal is large,” she said. “Much larger than even the most horrible acts of violence and betrayal that we can inflict on each other. She can help you see that magic can be used for good, and healing, and helping people.”

“Well, you’re helping me also. Why are you helping me like this?” asked her companion. “You’ve spent every second with me these past weeks and I know it’s not easy.”

This time it was Gabrielle who broke eye contact. “I – I like you, Xena,” she replied softly. “I think you were led down the wrong path by some bad people and bad circumstances, and that you can come back. And…I feel a connection with you.”

Xena’s blue eyes, which always carried some reflection of inner anguish or pain, darkened slightly and looked almost peaceful as she said “I feel that same connection.”

The women gazed at each other and smiled, basking in the morning light and in each other’s presence and companionship.[/blockquote]

[hr]
amazon_hacker: I really liked the last update to your story. Do you really believe in magic?

wiccanbard: sort of. i believe that things happen for a reason and that we are all connected, and that the things we do come back to us

amazon_hacker: you mean like karma?

wiccanbard: kind of like karma. like the little things that we do can have a bigger effect than we think they will. like if i'm grumpy one day and cut someone off in traffic, that will make him mad, and maybe he works at the deli, and he’s the person who will make my sandwich at lunch today and he’ll still be mad and distracted thinking about the person who cut him off, and he won’t notice that he put horseradish on my sandwich instead of mayonnaise and then i'll hate my sandwich and get even more grumpy, and i'll cut more people off on the way home, it will make them mad, and they will pass along the bad feelings to all their friends and family, and really it’s because i put grumpy energy out into the universe in the first place and it came back to haunt me in ways i couldn't have predicted

amazon_hacker: oh, so sort of like chaos theory and karma together. (ps – you sound like me with the babbling.)

wiccanbard: babbling, haha, you must be rubbing off on me. chaos theory = the thing where a butterfly flaps its wings and causes a hurricane?

amazon_hacker: that’s the archetypal example, but basically yep.

wiccanbard: i guess it’s sort of the same. chaos theory crossed with a karma boomerang that always comes back to you even if you make a bad throw.

amazon_hacker: g’day mate. Shall we throw some shrimps on the barbie?

wiccanbard: huh?

amazon_hacker: you said boomerang, you know, Australia?

wiccanbard: oh, haha. yet another non sequitur from amazon_hacker

amazon_hacker: yeah, sorry about that. Although I might argue that it was a sequitur, with the Aussie/boomerang connection. Hey, I’m sooooo excited about UberCon.

wiccanbard: me too

amazon_hacker: are you going to read this story at cordy’s fanfic reading gatherings?

wiccanbard: well, not this one since it’s already half-done. i'd rather read something new – i have a new idea

amazon_hacker: what’s it about?

wiccanbard: can’t talk about it yet. :)

amazon_hacker: just one hint? Pleeeeeeze?

wiccanbard: well, it’s a story about two people who meet online

amazon_hacker: perhaps on a certain message board? *grin*

wiccanbard: *blush*

amazon_hacker: :)

wiccanbard: anyway, it’s not finished yet so i'm not sure if i'll read it. and I don’t think i'll reveal my handle to anyone at the con anyway. i feel a little uncomfortable with people knowing who i am online and in RL. even my roommate doesn’t tell people on the board that she and i know each other. so don’t tell anyone that i'm wiccanbard after we meet, okay?

amazon_hacker: I promise. So we are good to go for Saturday at noon in the exhibit center, right?

wiccanbard: yep. and you’ll wear that pin so i can recognize you?

amazon_hacker: definitely.

wiccanbard: okay *nervous*

amazon_hacker: I’m nervous too but I’m looking forward to it.

wiccanbard: me too

amazon_hacker: And about your new story? I hope it has a happy ending.

wiccanbard: *blush* *smile* me too. what about you? any new fics you plan to read?

amazon_hacker: I’m working on a new one.

wiccanbard: more high tech stuff?

amazon_hacker: no, this one is different. Kind of Dracula meets Charmed.

wiccanbard: charmed, haha

amazon_hacker: I know it’s kind of a goofy show but I have an idea for a witch character and some other stuff

wiccanbard: oh a witch huh? ;)

amazon_hacker: I might be taking a page out of my favorite fanfic author’s book.

wiccanbard: well i'm flattered

amazon_hacker: ;) and I thought I’d try a story where Xena is physically strong like on the show instead of having her be a computer hacker as usual.

wiccanbard: just don’t have gabrielle wearing the bilious green sports bra

amazon_hacker: cordy’s really serious about not having her in that outfit on the board, isn’t she?

wiccanbard: yep. the board is called the Warrior, the Bard, and the Bad Wardrobe, after all

amazon_hacker: Do you know why?

wiccanbard: it’s in the FAQ but that file has been corrupted for a while. basically she thinks that xena and gabrielle are fashion victims and so she started this board where the only rule is that fanfic stories cannot feature gabby in season three outfits, unless she’s being rescued from them

amazon_hacker: so she’s both a fashion diva and a computer whiz, to set up a whole message board?

wiccanbard: :D no, she has a friend, aresisagod, who does all the technical stuff for her. i don’t think cordy even knows how to start a new thread

amazon_hacker: interesting. It’s a nice board, nice people. There’s a really supportive fanfic vibe going on, people even seem to like all my high-tech computer stories. I’m glad I found it.

wiccanbard: i'm glad too. :)

amazon_hacker: :) Oh, frogs! I’m meeting my friends for lunch and I’m late.

wiccanbard: ok. chat tomorrow?

amazon_hacker: count on it. bye!

wiccanbard: bye!

[hr]
NOTES: In case anyone hasn’t ever seen the TV show Xena: Warrior Princess, here is a brief summary.

SPOILER ALERT IN CASE YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN XENA BUT PLAN TO WATCH RERUNS OR DVDS – THEN DON’T READ THIS: The show is about Xena, a former warlord who has repented of her conquering ways and is trying to redeem herself. In the first episode she saves Gabrielle and Gabby’s sister from slavers, after which Gabrielle runs away from home to seek a life of adventure with Xena. Gabrielle gradually changes throughout the course of the show from an innocent peasant girl to a “battling bard” – she learns to fight with a staff and writes about their adventures. Along the way, she helps Xena to deal with her darkness and to seek redemption.

There’s quite a bit of subtext between Xena and Gabrielle – tongue in cheek jokes about them being a couple. The writers/producers played to that even though they never quite went whole hog with the relationship (there was one marriage and some man-woman relationships along the way) although Xena did introduce Gabs as her “partner” in one of the last few episodes. I think that Xena the show paved the way for future TV shows, to be more open and up front with whatever same-sex relationships they featured.

One point of contention among some Xena fan communities was Gabrielle’s Season Three outfit, a short leather skirt and a moss-green halter top that bore a passing resemblance to a sports bra. Many fans thought it was heinously ugly and referred to it as the “bilious green sports bra.” Lucy Lawless and Renee O’Connor refer to the sports bra controversy in one of the DVD bonus features. I always thought Gabby was cute in it, but Cordelia doesn’t agree.

[hr]

Last edited by FineyMcFine on Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:37 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Post subject: Re: New Fic - UberCon '05
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:30 am 
23. Volumey Text

This is an interesting start to the story. I like the idea of an uberfic convention.

When I started reading it I thought the start bit was about Willow and Tara going camping before going to the convention. It was only when I got to the end and saw Xena and Gabrielle that I realised my mistake :blush

So to make sure I'm not all confused again, wiccan_hacker and amazonbard are Willow and Tara. Um, I mean amazon_hacker and wiccanbard.

:lol at Cordelia's technical inability. Hmm, the name of the board seems familiar somehow.

Looking forward to seeing where you go with the story.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:45 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Wicked! I'm a huge Xena fan and this is a wonderful idea. A convention for uberfic, how original. I kinda wanted to know what happened on the 'fic' in the first part, any chance of that happening? And that was Warren, wasn't it? Brilliant fusion of the Xenaverse and Willow and Tara's story. Really cool.

And Cordy as a fashion-obsessed fic writer? Priceless! :lol The 'bilious green sports bra' is something Cordy would abhorr, no doubt. Personally I didn't think it was so bad. Kinda cute, but that was Renee O'Connor after all, she'd be good in almost anything.

Quote:
the board is called the Warrior, the Bard, and the Bad Wardrobe

This sounds awfully familiar. :lol Where have I heard that before? :hmm

Quote:
i don’t think cordy even knows how to start a new thread

This kinda reminds me of that delete-deliver episode. :lmao

Wonderful start, please continue!! :clap :applause :bounce :party

Rob

"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms" - Ephesians 6:12

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:49 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

sally, cool to see you've started posting, i'd been waiting for this. nice mislead with your fic couple, didn't see the xena connection coming at all. interesting to be writing "fan fic" with the voice of another fictional character, works very well. will we be seeing any of willow's fic? cause dracula crossed with charmed? like to see how that would work out.
chaos theory with a karma boomerang? sounds about right to me. my favorite moment though was "oh, frogs!" nice use of canon element without beating us over the head with it~very nice start ( can i keep lobbying for a newford story down the road?) ~mary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:52 am 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

Topics: 1
I have a confession to make. I know nothing about Xena. I must have watched no more than 5 episodes in total, cos I just happened to catch it. So I skimmed the first section, and went straight to the conversation. But I went back, and it's funny to be reading a ff written by a character in a ff.

But I like the conceit. A ff about our favorite characters who are ff writers writing and discussing a ff about two other favoriet characters that one or both of them wrote :lol how clever. So many parallels to the reality that is our lives in the KB.

And Ubercon? Sign me up, where is it held? Who's speaking? Who's attenting? How do I get a special pass?

Nice start. Have no fear, we want you to continue.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:09 am 
18. Breast Gal

Topics: 4
Oh this is just delightful! :D The whole situation is lovely, Willow and Tara writing uberfic Xena (not dissimilar to their canon selves in some respects too) on an uber Kitten board... I can't stop smiling, it's wonderful. And Willow's new fic, 'Dracula meets Charmed' - having uberWill writing Buffy the Vampire Slayer :lmao :bow

Please continue, I'd absolutely love to read more.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:23 am 
17. Mega-Witches

justin – thanks for reading! Yep, amazon_hacker is Willow and wiccanbard is Tara. When I read your fb saying wiccan_hacker and amazonbard I panicked and thought I had made a Word edit/replace error. Heh.

Quote:
It was only when I got to the end and saw Xena and Gabrielle that I realised my mistake

Good, that was the intention. I’m not wild about playing tricks like this on readers, but in this case to kick it off I wanted to – it was my way of introducing that the characters write fan fiction and what the subject matter is.

Thanks for being the first feedback! Still new at this and I really appreciate it.

A-Rob – I wondered if there had ever been an uberfic convention; I actually don’t know. But the TorontoTrek convention that was just posted a couple of days ago in the Kitten (that AB is attending) is totally fan-run, so I wonder if there will be similarities.

Quote:
I kinda wanted to know what happened on the 'fic' in the first part, any chance of that happening? And that was Warren, wasn't it?

Yep, it was Warren. And I’m sure there will be an update or resolution to the fic in the first part – wiccanbard doesn’t seem the type to leave an unfinished story out there. And I agree that ROC looked cute in the bilious green sports bra. Who knows why so many people seemed to dislike it.

Quote:
This sounds awfully familiar. Where have I heard that before?

I dunno, it just sort of came to me. Who knows where inspiration comes from? ;) And re: delete-deliver, I actually wasn’t thinking of that specifically but you’re right! That must have been in the back of my mind.

meretricious – we will definitely see some of Willow’s fic later on. She does have this new idea, after all, that gives a nod to her favorite author.

And of course you can totally keep lobbying for a Newford story – when you first suggested it I wasn’t sure how it would work, but I think I have the germ of an idea. We’ll see if it sprouts roots and bears fruit later on down the line. Thank you!

watson – I know what you mean about a ff written by a ff character – it’s like looking into two mirrors that are facing each other. I am trying to write this so you don’t have to have watched Xena to get it – there will be a few (not many!) inside jokes but I’ll try to explain those in the notes after each update.

Quote:
How do I get a special pass?

Talk to Cordy, she can hook you up. :D

Artemis – thank you so much! And thanks for posting this on Through The Looking Glass – the graphic you made is just GREAT. The more I delved into this, the more parallels I saw between XWP and BtVS. And yep, you hit the nail on the head – ‘Dracula meets Charmed’ is Willow’s concept for something truly original and not yet on TV. Xena the Vampire Slayer. I think she could break into the biz this way. ;)

Post subject: UberCon '05 - Part 2
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:25 am 
17. Mega-Witches

Part: 2

Disclaimer: I don’t own any of these characters and am not profiting from this story. No copyright infringement is intended.

Setting: AU. No magic, no vampires or slayers. Everyone is preparing to go to a three-day convention for their favorite TV show, which is Xena: Warrior Princess. You don’t necessarily need to have watched the show to follow the story.

Notes: the convention is called UberCon ‘05 and it is primarily a fan-organized and fan-run convention that focuses on uber fan fiction. The convention takes place in a hotel about 2 hours away from Sunnydale.

[hr]

Part 2 – Preparing

Willow entered the Espresso Pump and waved to Buffy and Xander, who were already seated at a booth by the window. She motioned that she was going to order lunch at the counter before joining them.

“Hey Will,” Buffy greeted her as she slid into the booth next to Xander. “Are you late for any particular reason? Like, perhaps chatting online with a certain fan fiction author?”

Willow blushed as she unwrapped her sandwich. “Maybe,” she replied, and tried to avoid providing more details by taking a big bite.

“So are you two going to actually meet up, in person, at the convention?” asked Xander. “This is like the culmination of about three solid months of chatting, isn’t it?”

Willow nodded in response, her mouth still full.

“Are you nervous?” Buffy asked. “I mean, you don’t really know anything about her, right? Like not even her name or where she lives? She could be some old guy named Malcolm for all you know.”

Willow made a face. “Don’t remind me of that.” She shook her head wryly. “Anyway, this is different. I feel this amazing connection with her and we talk about all kinds of stuff and she’s so interesting and surprises me all the time with the things she knows about, and did I tell you she’s into Wicca…” she stopped as she noticed Buffy’s ‘not again’ expression. “Okay, I know I’ve told you both about her a million times before.”

“And you are going to meet her face to face, anyway. So if she’s not who she seems to be, at least you’ll know,” Xander pointed out

Buffy laughed. “I’m excited for you, Will, really I am. Hey, did Giles give you any grief about taking Friday off?”

Willow shook her head. “Nope. I’m pretty far along in implementing the new card cataloguing database system, so he’s happy. The project is about three weeks ahead of schedule as it is. You?”

“All systems are go for a Buffy absence from the dojo on Friday. William agreed to teach my class for me and I’ll fill in for him some other time. The joy of summer vacations!”

“And the good citizens of Sunnydale will have to manage to survive this weekend without me delivering hot ‘n spicy goodness to their door,” Xander chimed in.

Buffy gave him an arch look. “When did you become a singing telegram stripper?”

“Not yet, unfortunately. It’s still just hot ‘n spicy pizzas.”

Buffy snorted, and continued “So anyway, do you guys want to have a slumber party Thursday night at my house? Mom said it was okay.”

“Sounds good,” Xander said. “Anything to get out of the house when Drunk and Drunker decide that 2am is the perfect time too have a live re-enactment of the roller derby.”

Willow smiled sympathetically at him. “Absent and Absenter aren’t much better,” she commiserated. “Let’s talk about something happy – like what kinds of chocolate we’re going to bring!”

The rest of the conversation turned to what snacks and CDs they should pack for the road trip.

In the back of Willow’s mind, she thought There’s no way she’s a guy pretending to be a girl, or some spaz. I feel like I’ve known her forever.

[hr]
New Thread: UberCon 2005

cordy_princess (Moderator): okay guys, this is the thread where you can talk about the upcoming convention. What’s on-topic here is pretty much anything convention-related: the workshops, panel discussions, uber fics that you’re working on for the con, get-togethers, the dance, ride-sharing, and of course, what you’re going to wear. No bumping the thread just to bump it. We have over 400 people registered for UberCon, which is totally way cool, and about 75 are from this board.

And remember, every evening in the Sunset Lounge we’re going to have The Warrior, the Bard, and the Bad Wardrobe fanfic readings, hosted by me. The only requirement is that your fic has to be uber and try to keep it under 5,000 words. That means either short stories or just reading a few chapters. All readings will be in the lounge. Friday it’s at 9pm right after the opening plenary, Saturday we’ll have an abbreviated session at 7pm because of the dance that night, and Sunday will be at 7pm after the closing plenary.

aresisagod: yay, the con is almost here! And clearly cordy forgot to say thanks to the board’s tech guy for adding a new thread, so I’ll say thanks for her. Thank you, me!

5by5: can’t wait for the con. Can anyone give a gal a ride from the bay area? I’ll help pay for gas AND promise not to seduce your girlfriend. >:)

callibabe: I just want to give props to my gal cordy for co-chairing this con!

aphrodite: second the props. i’ve been writing a new fic for the fanfic readings. I won’t give away too much but you can rest assured there will be plenty of orgasms.

joxx: Yay, a new fic from the board’s favorite smut puppy! I’ve been working on a new one too.

5by5: please tell me this isn’t one where joxer hooks up with every woman in sight like all your other fics

aphrodite: hey, lay off. I don’t see you doing anything on this board except criticizing other people and attesting to your own sexual prowess – something we never see anyone on this board corroborating, by the way

joxx: yeah, what she said.

5by5: if anyone wrote decent callisto fic i'd be all over it. besides, someone has to be a critic

aphrodite: usually to be a critic you have to have some qualifications other than being a loudmouth

cordy_princess (Moderator): okay people, either cut it out or take it to chat. You’re off topic.

aresisagod: anyway, to bring this back on topic, I’m working on a new fiction for the Friday night fanfic reading. It’s Ares/Autolycus slash set in the Castro circa 1940 and they’re the founders of the Mattachine Society and the bear movement

wiccanbard: i’m excited for the con also. i’m working on a new fic and i hope it will be finished in time

xenarulz: we are leaving on Friday morning and will probably get there right before the first panel discussion if traffic isn’t too bad, hopefully it will only take two hours. Too bad Lucy Lawless couldn’t make it to this con – I wanted to talk to her about her martial arts training

amazon_hacker: uhhh I think I read somewhere that she doesn’t do any martial arts training. To keep this on topic - I can’t wait for the autograph signing on Saturday! It’s so cool that Alex Tydings agreed to come, cordy_princess.

cordy_princess: yeah, my dad’s business partner knows her agent, so he was able to pull some strings. She definitely has the best hair on the show and I love those shoes. And the pink dresses she wears are just divine.

joxx: definitely agree with you there

5by5: yum cleavage

aphrodite: speaking of cleavage, don’t forget about my workshop on Saturday! It's during Workshop Session 2, Saturday at 2pm

amazon_hacker: anyone bringing a laptop to the con?

aresisagod: unfortunately the hotel won’t be wireless-enabled for another 3 months and the cable modem rental is $9.99 a day so take that into consideration. I’ll be bringing mine though in case there is a board emergency.

wiccanbard: i share a desktop computer, so no laptop for me

xenarulz: I’m all woo-hoo with the can’t wait!!!

aresisagod: me too girlfriend!

[hr]
Tara opened drawers and removed a few shirts and some underwear. An open suitcase lay on the bed half-filled with various articles of clothing and toiletries. She refolded the shirts and stacked them carefully in the suitcase. Next she selected a small candle with a lid from the assortment on top of her bookshelf. She checked the clamp on the candle’s lid to make sure it would stay closed and nestled it among the clothing.

Anya entered the room without knocking, carrying a plastic bag. “Tara, you’re going to have to pack sexier underwear than that if you want to seduce your little online paramour.” She reached into Tara’s suitcase and began inventorying the undergarments.

The friendship between the two roommates was an unlikely one to most who knew them both. Tara’s extreme shyness and Anya’s outspoken sexuality didn’t seem to be a recipe for getting along, much less a close relationship. Randomly assigned to room together their freshman year of college, a friendship sprung up between them as they discovered their mutual love of Xena: Warrior Princess. Over time, a deeper friendship developed.

Anya never made fun of Tara’s occasional stutter, as some others had in the past, and Tara never judged Anya’s freewheeling approach to her love life. Anya in turn never criticized Tara’s introverted ways, other than to make sure Tara came out in public occasionally to socialize. And though sometimes the things that Anya could say in public were slightly embarrassing, Tara also appreciated them – she felt like she had an entrée into a world she wouldn’t have otherwise. Likewise, Anya seemed to deeply appreciate the emotional depth that Tara brought to the friendship.

Tara blushed but also smiled. “I’m not planning on seducing her, Anya,” she protested. “We’re just going to meet and talk.”

Anya waved away Tara’s comments and continued to rummage through the suitcase. “White cotton panties, blue cotton panties, pink cotton panties, and boxer shorts! This is all wrong, wrong, wrong. Don’t you have any silky string bikinis? Maybe a nice thong and a see-through teddy?”

“For gosh sakes! I don’t own any thongs at all.”

“Crotchless panties with stockings?” Anya crossed the room to pillage Tara’s underwear drawer. She tossed out pair after endless pair of cotton panties. “This will never do.”

She produced a outfit from the plastic bag. “As your roommate I consider it my sacred duty to make sure that you are prepared for whatever orgasm-inducing situations you might find yourself in at this convention. That’s why I bought you this.”

‘This’ was a short blue satin skirt with matching lace bra and panties.

Tara blushed. “Anya, you are too much. No one at this convention is even going to see my underwear. And I’ve never worn anything like that in my life.”

“You just haven’t had a reason yet to wear it,” Anya breezily replied. “But now you’ve got a nifty little online sex kitten at your beck and call who is very enamored of your work and who you spend at least an hour a day chatting and doing god knows what else with online on my computer.”

Tara shook her head. “She’s not a sex kitten. We don’t do anything except talk.”

Anya replied “Of course you don’t, because the computer is in the living room. Oh stop that blushing,” she ordered Tara, whose face was bright red. “You know I’m just teasing you.”

Tara threw her hands up in surrender and began gathering up the cotton panties that were strewn all over the room. “If I agree to bring that blue thing, will you stay out of my underwear drawer?”

Anya laughed. “Of course. And believe it or not, I didn’t come in here just to harass you about your lingerie, or lack thereof. My accounting class is cancelled for Friday so we can leave in the morning for the drive up to the convention.”

“A pretty rigorous summer schedule you have there – this is the third time it’s been cancelled, isn’t it?”

“Yes, but I’m doing enough independent work that I don’t feel it will adversely affect my ability to amass great wealth. And speaking of independent work, I need to go polish up the handouts for my workshop. So anyway – we’ll leave at 10:00 a.m. sharp?”

“Yep!” replied Tara. “I’ll be ready.”

Anya arched her eyebrows. “Clearly, since you’re almost done packing and it’s only Tuesday. Now don’t accidentally forget to pack that sexy underwear or there will be consequences.”

”Consider it packed,” said Tara in mock surrender.

[hr]

New Poll: UberCon ’05 Dance RESULTS

Q: UberCon will have a dance Saturday night. Do you think it should be costume-optional, or no costumes?

I’m wearing a costume right now!: 83% (62 votes)
I’d sooner get bitten by a Bacchae than wear a costume: 13% (10 votes)
Don’t care: 4% (3 votes)

cordy_princess (Moderator): the results of the poll are in, so on behalf of the UberCon ’05 host committee, we invite you to bring your costumes for the Saturday night dance!

[hr]

NOTES: Edited to add - thanks to Chris Cook for creating this great screenshot of TWTBATBW.

Last edited by FineyMcFine on Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: New Fic - UberCon '05 (Updated 7/20/05)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:36 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Sally! This is great!! :applause :bounce :clap

I enjoyed the chat between the two, and even better the message thread. I think I got most everyone figured out on the board. Looks like this is going to be one big scooby party. Should prove to be some entertaining interactions...we will get to see them right?

Quote:
“Tara, you’re going to have to pack sexier underwear than that if you want to seduce your little online paramour.”

And please oh please let us see the sexy underwear!! In fact ignore any other request that I make, this one takes priority. :pray

Also looking forward to the costume dance.... This is going to be a great fic and can't wait for an update!

-wiccanbotanist

PS Chris what an awesome job on the screenshot of the uber board!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:14 pm 
2. Floating Rose

oh i love this fic already! my two most favorite shows togeather!!!!!! (not to mentions my favorite board!!! ) woo with a big dose of hoo!!!!!

~Bug

"And what? Go up to her and say:
'Hey your cute, wanna boink?' " - Me at MBLGTACC 2005

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:14 pm 
18. Breast Gal

Costumes! Are we going to see Willow and Tara as Xena and Gabrielle? :D More to the point, is Willow going to see Tara in her silky sexy lingerie? :x I suspect Tara will have reason to thank Anya for those later.

I love the Warrior Board sections, it's so great to have Willow and Tara (and everyone else) on their very own uber-Kitten board. Oh, and Willow avoiding giving answers by way of filling her mouth, very funny :lol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:48 am 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

This fic is like one big inside joke, if you posted it anywhere else it won't be half (or a quarter, hell not even 1%) as funny. The parallels are so cleverly done and so chuckle worthy.

Love all the various screen names, love Cordy as mod, love the RL stuff (Anya and Tara are roomies, do they like know about each other's ff activities?), the W/T online attractive (hmmm, any parallels here heehee). Of course Chris is a god, the screenshot is out of this world.

The teaser, with the costume party :drool

I said this already, I'll say it again, not a Xena person at all, but I'm truly enjoying this. :applause Reminds me of all the people in the Survivor - Ash Island and Kitten Race (what? shameless self promotion, I'm not ashamed) threads saying they don't watch reality tv but ...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:53 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

sally, what a great concept, and you're executing it beautifully. i've seen other fics where w/t meet and converse on line, but you've really taken this to the next level, with the message board and all the extras. i read this update here first, and enjoyed it, but then read it at chris' site, and i couldn't stop laughing. which one of you came up with those posting levels?-very funny stuff.
so between w/t's friends, and all the rest of the message borders, smooth way to intro us to many convention attendees in an abrieviated way, nicely done. also giggled at the malcom reference, and i like the dynamic of your tara/anya friendship, feels very natural.
is it time for the convention yet? ~ mary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:37 am 
17. Mega-Witches

Hey folks - some quick replies before I go away for the next four days on a little vacation to a folk festival! The next update will be Monday morning, so have a good weekend all.

wiccanbotanist - helloooooo! I'm glad you were able to figure out who everyone is, I wanted that to be the case. Scoob-o-rama! We will definitely get to see the Scooby interactions - wouldn't be fun otherwise. :)

WolfNightwind - thanks for reading! These are two of my favorite shows too and it's been really fun to write so far.

Artemis - costumes! We're going to get to see everyone dressed as their favorite characters, yep. And as far as who will end up dressed like who, it miiiight be obvious from people's handles on the board, but I ain't tellin'. ;)

The message board interactions are really fun to write, and I'm glad they're fun to read, but can I just say that they're five times as fun to read on Through the Looking-Glass? Avatars, posting levels, it's all just so perfect! Seriously folks, click on this URL and then join me in awe of Chris Cook's creative skills: http://www.uberwillowtara.com/ubercon02.htm

watson - yes, it totally is like an inside joke and also meant to be an affectionate nod to the Kitten board. I feel like I should clarify that Cordelia is based on Cordelia and she's not meant to reflect any of the mods on the Kitten. ;)

Since it wasn't clear (it will be clearer I hope in future updates) Anya and Tara do know about each others' fanfic activities as friends and roommates yep. I'm so glad to hear you're enjoying this even though you're not a Xena person. PS - I need to read the Kitten Race but am going to start first with Lamplight while on my road trip today.

meretricious - there are going to be more extras in future updates, glad you're enjoying them. Chris came up with the posting levels and they're so right on the money. And people's locations also cracked me up. 5by5 - Anywhere I Want to Be. Hell yeah!

My beta and wonderful partner suggested the Malcolm thing (I had 'Steve' in the first draft as just a generic name) - I hadn't seen the Malcolm episode that I can recall but must rewatch it. It's almost time for the convention - tune in on Monday!

Post subject: UberCon '05 - Part 3: Arriving
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:18 am 
17. Mega-Witches

Part: 3

Setting: AU. No magic, no vampires or slayers. Everyone is attending a three-day convention for their favorite TV show, which is Xena: Warrior Princess. You don’t necessarily need to have watched the show to follow the story although there are some Xena jokes here and there. Not too many.

[hr]

Part 3 – Arriving

[blockquote]Uber Con ’05 Schedule

Friday

12:00 – 8:00 p.m. Exhibit Center opens

2:00 – 3:30 p.m. Workshop Session 1, Sunrise Rooms A, B, C, D

A – “A Rose By Any Other Name” – Uber 101
B – “Staying in Character While Deviating From Canon”
C – “Beyond Slash - GLBT Visibility in Fanfic Communities”
D – “Breaking Into The Biz” – with special guest Melissa Good

4:00 – 5:00 p.m. Roundtable discussion groups, Sunrise Rooms A, B, C, D

A - “Beta Bonanza – Elements of Editing”
B – “Make It Hurt – Hurt/Comfort and Angst as Plot Devices”
C – “Rated R: Give ‘Em What They Want or Keep Them Wanting More?”
D – “Wrapping It Up – Completing Unfinished Works”

5:30 – 7:00 p.m. Dinner break (see program insert for nearby restaurants)

7:30 p.m. Welcome from UberCon 2005 Co-Chairs and Host Committee (Grand Ballroom)

8:00 – 8:30 p.m. Opening Plenary with Special Guest Alexandra Tydings (Aphrodite on Xena: Warrior Princess). “Fan Fiction: Backbone of a Cult TV Hit” (Grand Ballroom)

8:30 – 9:00 p.m. Question and answer session with Alexandra Tydings
(Grand Ballroom)

9:00 – 11:00 p.m. Fanfic reading/networking sessions (various)[/blockquote]

[hr]

Buffy pulled the SUV to an abrupt halt in front of the hotel. As the tires squealed, she said “Whoops, sorry about that guys.”

Willow gradually unclenched her death grip on the armrests. “No problem, Buff. I think…you’ve actually improved! And it’s nice to know that the seat belts work. Look, mine’s locked up, just like it’s supposed to. Good thing the air bags didn’t deploy.” She jiggled her seat belt, unfastened it, and opened the passenger door. “Why don’t I just carry in our bags right now and you can park the car?”

Xander immediately said “Let me give you a hand,” and hopped out from the back seat. They quickly unloaded their bags from the back of the SUV and closed the door.

“See you inside!” called Buffy as she screeched off to find a parking place.

Willow and Xander looked at each other. “If Joyce checks the tread on those tires when we get home Buffy is toast,” commented Xander. They gathered up their things and carried them into the hotel lobby.

The lobby had a high ceiling and several overstuffed couches set among large potted plants. Off to the side was the registration desk. Two easels were set up nearby: “Welcome UberCon 2005 Attendees” and “Welcome Southern California Dental Hygienists Association.”

“Well, at least if we have any oral hygiene emergencies we’ll be in good hands.” Willow checked her watch. “Xander, it’s 12:30 so the convention check-in is probably open. Why don’t I go pick up our packets, and you can check us in for the room?”

“Okey dokey,” he replied, and moved toward the registration desk.

Buffy entered the hotel lobby and joined Xander. “Did we lose Willow already?” she asked.

“Naw, she just couldn’t wait to get the convention stuff,” he replied as he handed over his credit card and signed the slip of paper the clerk gave him.

“Thanks for covering this, Xander,” Buffy said. “I’ll pay you back next payday.”

“No problem,” he replied. “One of the benefits of being a working professional instead of a student is the steady paycheck.”

Willow came back into the lobby, carrying three folders with her. “It’s so cool in there, you guys! The exhibits are all set up, and there’s all kinds of merchandise and books, and it looks like a ton of people are here already! And look – here’s the lineup of workshops and discussions. There’s so much going on that I think we should split up for most of the workshops and stuff so we can make sure to get as much out of this convention as possible.”

Willow handed Buffy and Xander their folders and they moved over to the couches in the lobby. “Xander, I’ve outlined a series of workshops and discussions that I thought you’d be interested in since you’re working on your writing style. Buff, I wrote out some suggestions for you based on what you’re most interested in reading, and I’m going to go to half writer’s stuff, half issue type stuff. Also, this way we’ll all be going to different things and can fill each other in on any cool resources that get handed out.”

Buffy looked further down the schedule. “I see that you’re going to attend “Rated R: Give ‘Em What They Want or Keep Them Wanting More.”

Willow grinned. “Yeah, I know I don’t write that much rated R stuff, but I figured this would be a good place to explore that a little.”

“Yeah, your main objective in coming to this convention is to improve your skills at Rated R-type stuff, isn’t it?” Buffy said.

Willow stuck her tongue out at Buffy, but also grinned.

“Speaking of exploring, let’s drop our stuff off at our room and have a look around before the first workshop session starts,” Xander said, hefting his bag.

The girls nodded and rose. Willow continued to talk excitedly about the schedule as they approached the elevator and went up to their room.

[hr]
Anya slid the plastic card into the lock on the hotel room door. When the green light appeared, she turned the handle and the door swung inward. She flipped on the light and proceeded into the room, with Tara following.

Anya swung her bag onto the bed nearest the bathroom, while Tara laid hers on the one nearest the window. She looked around the room.

Anya wrinkled her nose. “Smells kinda musty,” she commented.

“Oh, I can take care of that,” Tara replied, unzipping her bag. She shifted some clothes and removed the small candle she had carefully packed. Unfastening the clamp, she pulled out a book of matches from one of the pockets of her suitcase and struck a match to the wick of the candle. A vanilla smell began to diffuse into the room, and Tara set the candle on the desk.

“Are you going to perform a Wiccan ritual to cast out the bad smell spirits?” Anya asked as she removed her clothes from her suitcase and began hanging them in the closet.

“No, it’s just a regular scented candle,” Tara replied. “I figured that most hotel rooms have that, you know, hotel room smell, so I usually bring one along.” She moved toward her own suitcase and carefully removed a blue long-sleeved shirt with a scoop neck, and a long brown skirt. She smoothed them on the bed and looked critically at them. “I guess the one thing about linen is that it’s supposed to wrinkle,” she commented.

“You know what I don’t understand,” Anya said. “This is an uber convention, so why are we supposed to wear canon costumes to the dance?”

“I think it’s because uber clothes would probably look just like regular clothes, and people want a chance to dress up,” Tara replied.

“My characters don’t always dress in regular clothes,” said Anya. “I could have had quite a distinctive outfit modeled after Xena the dominatrix in the first section of “Wacking the Waitress.”

Tara giggled. “Yes, but I don’t think everyone’s fic is as widely read as yours. And besides, what if someone wrote fan fiction where Xena is a dentist and Gabrielle is her dental hygienist, and decided to dress accordingly? Then we’d have a lot of confusion between us and that other convention.”

“True,” said Anya. “Although that could make for some interesting scenarios, I’m sure.”

Tara checked her watch. “It’s almost time for the first workshop session – want to head down?”

Anya nodded and handed the other girl the second plastic key card for the room as they walked to the elevator.

[hr]
“C’mon, Buffy, let’s go get some coffee!” Willow pleaded, bouncing up and down on their shared bed.

“Right, because what you really need right now is a dose of caffeine,” Buffy said.

“Xander? Join us?”

“Naw, I’m going to stay here for a bit and finish up watching this episode,” Xander said from his comfortable nest on one of the room’s two double beds.

Willow looked at the TV screen. “Ooh, ‘Fins, Femmes and Gems!’ One of my favorites. But not even the siren song of Xena and Gabrielle in full flirt mode is going to keep me from a mocha right now.”

“Plus you own all the DVDs,” Buffy reminded her. “Okay, let’s go get a caffeine fix before the first workshops begin.”

Promising to meet up after the first workshop, Willow and Buffy bid Xander goodbye and took the elevator downstairs to the hotel’s coffee shop, which was small but had a good amount of seating and semi-private nooks. They settled into a table with their coffees and biscotti.

“So what is it that you want to get out of this weekend, Buff?” Willow asked.

Buffy selected a biscotti and considered the question. “You know, I haven’t given it too much thought. I mean, I read a lot of fanfic, but never got bitten by the writing bug myself. I’m looking forward to meeting some of my favorite writers, I guess. Mostly I’m just going to take it all as it comes and relax. I figure no expectations, no disappointment.”

“A commendable attitude,” Willow said. “I wish I was as relaxed with the no expectations. I mean, on the one hand I really don’t have any. But on the other hand, I’m so nervous about tomorrow. What if she’s not everything I think she is? What if she is everything I think she is, but she doesn’t like me or thinks I’m repulsive or something? What if I’m not the kind of person she thinks I am? So many variables and potential for disappointment. Ugh, it’s giving me a stomachache just thinking about it.”

“So listen, how come you’ve never looked her up, you know, with the computer hacking?” Buffy asked. “Save yourself the worry.”

Willow considered this question as she took a long sip of her mocha. “That’s something that I asked myself at first, after we started chatting. I mean, I know I could totally have found out her e-mail address, her real name, and even where she lived and how much her phone bill was that month without too much trouble. It just seemed wrong to do that, you know?”

Buffy nodded. “Total invasion of privacy.”

Willow said “Big time. But it would have been more than that – it would have been a betrayal. She’s had some people in the past who like her fics a little too much, so she’s pretty wary of most people online, and I think she’s been, you know, extending herself by chatting with me so much. It’s definitely outside her comfort zone. I know I go on and on about how special I think she is, but it’s true. I think she’s a really special person and very sweet and I want to get to know her with a total clean slate.” Willow shrugged. “Not that it hasn’t been hard to not do the hacking thing. But I resist.”

Buffy crunched her biscotti. “So how are you going to recognize each other tomorrow?”

Neither Buffy nor Willow noticed the dark-haired girl sitting at the table just around the corner cock her head at this question.

Willow’s eyes sparkled. “I have this pin, see?” She reached down into her bag and removed a plastic purple lapel pin shaped like a kitten with a dangly tail and showed it to Buffy. “We were chatting online one day about meeting up at the con, and wanted to have some kind of a symbol we could recognize each other by without really describing how we look or what we’d be wearing. I guess it’s the whole suspense thing. So I looked in my desk drawer, and found this, and suggested that I wear it. So come noon tomorrow, I’ll be in the exhibit hall wearing this pin, probably shaking in my boots. But I’ll be there.”

Buffy smiled. “That’s really sweet, Will. I hope it all goes smoothly tomorrow.”

“Me too!” said Willow, replacing the pin in the side pocket of her bag. “And it means a lot that you came with me this weekend. Just having you and Xander here helps me to feel a lot calmer.”

“Which you’ll need if you keep sucking down the mochas like this,” Buffy said, indicating Willow’s empty glass.

The dark-haired girl stood up to leave. She walked by their table and just as she passed them, tripped and dropped her tray. “Oh, crap!” she said loudly as her empty coffee mug tumbled to the ground and rolled to a stop near Willow’s bag.

Willow turned around but the dark-haired girl had already scooped up her dropped mug and was moving toward the exit. “Are you all right?” she asked, but the girl was already out of earshot.

“Okay, that was odd,” said Willow, watching the brunette’s retreating back.

“You get some really weird types at these conventions,” Buffy commented, reaching for another biscotti.

[hr]

Note: I managed to get a copy of the Friday convention schedule that Willow marked up. Click here to see it.

[hr]

Post subject: Re: New Fic - UberCon '05 (Updated 7/25/05)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:52 am 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

Wow, talk about jam packed. I have difficulties deciding which workshop session I want to go to, especially the second session.

I chuckled that the dentist convention is going on at the same time as Ubercon. What will the dentists think of a bunch of fanfic writers, some dressed to the hilt? :lol

Wait, Willow's purpose of coming to the con isn't to improve her R-rated fics? And, R is so passé, anyone who is anyone does NC-17 now. :lmao

Tara and Anya, lol. All the talk about R and NC-17, did my mind go to a naughty place when Anya said
Quote:
“Smells kinda musty,”

clever of Tara to bring scented candles, hotel rooms tend to have this distinctive smell and feel to them, I know by copious personal experience.

And Willow being a nervous spaz, talking to Buffy. Now, who is that brunette girl who took Willow's pin? Anya? A malicious Faith? You've certainly mastered Fic Writing 101 - The Art of the Cliffhanger. :lol

ps Willow's different colored program? Priceless.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:56 am 
18. Breast Gal

:hmm The plot thickens - methinks this dark-haired woman (Faith?) has absconded with Willow's Willow-identification pin, thus leading to confusion when the time comes to meet. If she's planning to seduce Tara under false pretences though, I think she'll be out of luck - Tara may not know Willow's face, but she knows the person behind it (and as we remember from the series, Tara can spot an imposter no matter what face she's wearing). No doubt it'll have Willow freaking out, as only she can do.

I loved the opening with Buffy driving, Willow's reactions were priceless :lmao "Oh look, the belt's locked up, just like it should!" That was great.

And nice job on the con schedule too - sign me up for the Rated R workshop :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:29 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

sally, ok i wondered why willow and tara weren't going to try to meet each other sooner at this convention, but it's so you can mess with them more. so i'm guessing our eavesdropper is faith? or at the very least on of tara's over-enthusiastic readers willow was talking about. but i don't think you're going to let this get too dark, so i'm thinking more comedy of errors?
i'd have trouble picking which workshops to attend, and i'm not even a writer. love that willow assigned everyone a schedule, and thai for lunch sounds good.
sadly, looks like neither of our girls have thier own room, just thinking ahead here a little bit, but perhaps we can count on anya to stay out all night? ~mary

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:58 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

watson -
Quote:
Tara and Anya, lol. All the talk about R and NC-17, did my mind go to a naughty place when Anya said
Quote:
“Smells kinda musty,”

Fascinating! I wasn't intending anything naughty, but perhaps it was a psychiatrist's undergarment. You know, a Freudian slip?

I think that Willow's intention in coming to the con is to improve her R-rated skills - but not necessarily the fiction-writing aspect of those skills. Actually, that's just random innuendo from me - I don't think she has specifically carnal intentions.

Most conferences these days are jam-packed with sessions and stuff, frustrating because I want to go to many different things. I guess UberCon is no different. I've never actually been to a convention, but maybe someday.

Thanks for reading and feeding back!

[hr]

Artemis - would you like to lead the Rated R workshop? The presenter had to cancel at the last minute. Cordelia is having a fit. :)

Somebody absconded with something, but whether they will be successful at shoplifting the pooty, I ain't telling yet. Although I suppose you can guess pretty safely. Heh. Thank you!

[hr]

meretricious - that's a good question, why aren't they going to meet sooner. I sort of chalked it up to trying to hedge their bets - the kind of person Tara seems to be, I think she'd want to have a day to kind of settle in. Definitely more comedy of errors rather than something dark. More Midsummer Night's Dream, but no one is an ass (at least, not literally - and not yet). :)

I think we can definitely count on Anya to get some action, as it were. Thanks so much for reading!

Last edited by FineyMcFine on Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:04 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

Part: 4

Setting: AU. No magic, no vampires or slayers. Everyone is attending a three-day convention for their favorite TV show, which is Xena: Warrior Princess. You don’t necessarily need to have watched the show to follow the story although there are some Xena jokes here and there. Not too many.

Notes: the convention is called UberCon ‘05 and it is primarily a fan-organized and fan-run convention that focuses on uber fan fiction. The con takes place in a hotel about 2 hours away from Sunnydale.

[hr]

Part 4 – Anticipating

“Blonde over there across the room.”

“No chance.”

“Brunette by the table of books.”

“Unlikely.”

“The one next to her with the short hair and glasses.”

“Doubtful.”

“Maroon t-shirt?”

“That’s a boy.”

Anya paused from their game of ‘Let’s guess who amazon_hacker might be’ and leaned back on the bench they were sitting on. “Is this a case of you being picky?”

Tara laughed. “I think it’s a case of you not having any gaydar.”

“Maybe so,” said Anya, “But I can definitely spot the straight men. Yowza!” She pointed across the room to a tall dark-haired man with sideburns, who was crossing the atrium with two girls – a brunette and a redhead.

Tara looked. Her eyes were immediately drawn to the redhead. Oh, wow, she thought to herself. So cute. Her gaze traveled over the girl’s slim body, clad in jeans and a simple green pullover. The redhead wore a bright smile as she talked animatedly to her friends. Tara watched her as she walked the entire way across the atrium and down the hallway to where the roundtable discussion groups were being held.

“Helloooo, Tara! Yoo hoo!” Anya waved a hand across Tara’s field of vision.

Tara shook her head with a start. “Sorry about that, Anya. Um…”

“Don’t tell me you’re suddenly straight and now you’re crushing on my boy?”

Instead of answering with her own smart remark, Tara seemed flustered. “Um, n-no. Of course not…”

Anya left off the teasing and gave Tara a considering glance. “No, my dear, I don’t think you were. In fact, I think you’ve been smitten with someone entirely other. Let me just take one wild guess. Is it the redhead?”

Tara flushed slightly, but had regained her composure. “You caught me.”

“Well, you certainly do have good taste. If I were a lesbian, I’d find her attractive as well. Maybe she’s your amazon_hacker, what do you think?”

Tara bit her lip. “I’m not sure if the universe could stand it if I were that lucky. But here’s hoping.”

Anya stood up. “Well, come on. After that dreadful workshop this morning, I really need a good discussion. What are we attending next?”

Tara consulted the convention schedule in her hand. “Make it Hurt - Hurt/Comfort and Angst as Plot Devices.”

The two friends began walking toward the discussion group rooms. “Because what the world definitely needs is more angst in it,” Anya said.

[hr]

“Xander!” Willow waved at him from across the crowded hallway.

“Hey, Will,” he said. “So how was the Rated R discussion?”

“Pretty steamy,” she said. “And interesting. I’ll tell you more about it over dinner – but suffice it to say for now that I have some ideas for my new fic.”

Xander flashed a toothy grin. “I can’t wait. Can I be your beta? And your alpha? And omega?”

”Don’t be a nerd. That’s my department.” Willow punched him in the arm. “C’mon, let’s go find Buffy and get some dinner. According to the schedule, she should just be finishing up in the Hurt/Comfort/Angst discussion.” They walked down the hallway to Sunrise Room B, where people were just starting to exit the room.

As they approached, two blonde girls left the room. Willow observed first the one with the shorter curly hair. Just as she shifted her gaze to the taller girl with longer hair, the girl looked up and their eyes met. Willow felt a thrill race through her body at the unexpected eye contact. Wow, her eyes are so blue, she thought.

The curly-haired girl noticed Willow and Xander, and then strode over to them. A momentary look of panic crossed her companion’s face, but she followed.

“Hello,” Anya addressed herself to Xander. “My name is Anya. It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

“Uhhhh, likewise. Hi. I’m Xander,” he replied, befuddled but friendly.

“I just wanted to tell you that I saw you earlier today in the lobby and I find you very attractive. I’ll be reading one of my stories tonight at the fanfic gathering for the message board ‘The Warrior, the Bard, and the Bad Wardrobe.’ It’s rated NC-17. I hope to see you there.” With that, she flashed him a smile, turned around, and strode away.

Tara stood there and looked at Willow and Xander. Should I say something? They’re probably totally freaked out right now. Little do they know, it’s just Anya being Anya. What should I do? Oh god. The longer I stand here, the weirder it is. Finally, she half-smiled at the two and turned around to follow her friend.

Buffy came out of the room. “Hey guys.” She looked at both of them. “Something wrong?”

Xander shook his head. “Not wrong, no. We just met some interesting, although strange and maybe overly friendly people.”

”Person,” Willow corrected. “The other one didn’t say anything at all, so I don’t think we can really say we met her.”

Buffy nodded knowingly. “It’s like I was telling Willow this afternoon,” she said. “You meet some odd people at these things. C’mon, let’s go get some food. I’m starving, and I know both of you don’t want to miss the opening plenary tonight.”

“Mmmm, cleavage,” Xander said dreamily as they walked toward the parking lot.

Mmmmmm, blonde… Willow’s thoughts echoed Xander’s although for a very different reason. Strange friends or not, I’d like to get to know her…Wait! No I wouldn’t. I’m meeting wiccanbard tomorrow. Although – what if this girl IS wiccanbard? That would be almost too good to be true. That smile!

[hr]

Tara and Anya picked up their folders and joined the press of people exiting the Grand Ballroom.

“Her speech was soooo good, didn’t you think?”

“Absolutely. And she’s got a point – a show like Xena, which gets pigeonholed as a ‘cult’ TV hit, needs to maintain a loyal fan base to keep it going.”

Tara nodded. “And she’s one of the few actors I’ve heard speak who really gets it about fan fiction – that it doesn’t take anything away from the show, and actually helps keep the fans interested. Especially in the summer when the reruns are on.”

“Frankly, I think that at least some of the show’s writers lurked on the message board when they were stumped for ideas. I mean, there’s plenty of episodes I’ve seen that have similar plotlines as some fics I’ve read. Or written, for that matter.”

“Right, except for the sex scenes.” Tara consulted her schedule. “Where is this fanfic gathering? It’s not written on the schedule.”

“It’s in the Sunset Lounge,” Anya answered. “I think that these readings are more informal, so they didn’t put them in the official schedule. It’s just through the lobby and across from the bar.”

The two girls made their way through the throngs of people and entered the Sunset Lounge, a cozy space that appeared able to hold about 150 people and was filled with couches, overstuffed chairs, and a TV which had been pushed to one side. As the room began to fill up, Anya and Tara secured themselves a spot on one of the loveseats.

“Okay, people, let’s pay attention here,” Cordelia said after most of the people had trickled in. She clapped her hands to attract everyone’s attention.

The conversations in the room quickly quieted down as everyone focused on Cordelia. The seats were overflowing, with people wedged in four to a couch and every seat occupied. More than 3/4 of the floor space was occupied by those who arrived too late for a couch, including Willow, Buffy, and Xander.

Cordelia stood at the front of the room with a welcoming smile, holding a sheet of paper.

“Welcome, everybody, to the Warrior, the Bard, and the Bad Wardrobe’s first fan fiction reading night. I’m so glad that so many of you showed up. I’m the moderator of the board, cordy_princess, and this is Andrew, aka aresisagod, who is our technical whiz.”

A smattering of spontaneous applause broke out, which Cordelia acknowledged with a smile. Andrew, a short man with gelled-up blonde hair, half-rose from his seat and waved at the crowd.

“I just want to go over the ground rules for our fanfic gatherings, which will happen every night here at the con. First – all fics that people read must be uber. In the interests of time, you should keep what you read to 5,000 words or less. You are free to introduce yourself by your handle on the board, your name, both, or neither. And we want to make sure as many people have a chance to read as want to, so if you want to ask an author something, make sure you grab them after we’re done – no questions and answers while we still have the lounge. We’ll read as many fics as we have time for before we have to vacate at 11pm.

“To volunteer to read a story, you can just raise your hand. If a lot of people all volunteer, we’ll do names in a hat. To break the ice, I brought a new fic that I’ll kick off tonight with. And again – welcome!”

Cordelia put away her paper and picked up a sheaf of papers which she riffled through before beginning.

“This is called ‘Makeover at the Top of the Mitten.’ The setting is northern Michigan, and Xena and Gabrielle are camp counselors at a summer camp for high schoolers.” Cordelia cleared her throat and began reading.

“Dawn broke over the cabins and tents that surrounded Douglas Lake. The campground was quiet, the stillness only broken by the far-off call of a crow. The surface of the lake was smooth as glass. It seemed like the wind was holding its breath in anticipation.

“A rustling sound arose from one of the cabins, and the front door opened. A blonde woman of about 19 emerged, inhaling the fresh morning air.

“She stood about 5’ 4”, with healthy long blonde hair that was marred only by tragically split ends. She was dressed in sweat-stained brown running shorts and a green sports bra the color of vomit. As she stood on the cabin’s porch, she casually twisted up her hair into a ponytail, using a worn-out scrunchie that had seen better days. She swept back her bangs off her forehead, and they promptly fell right back over her eyes. This didn’t seem to bother her, though, and she walked the three steps down to the worn dirt track of the campground’s path.

“Across the path, another cabin door opened. A taller woman who was probably in her early twenties looked out and jumped over the three steps to land on the ground. Her hair was in much the same shape as her friend’s, whom she acknowledged with a nod and a wave.”

Willow glanced around the room, half-listening as Cordelia continued to describe the two women’s bad hair, bad outfits, and how they both seemed cheerfully oblivious to the heartbreaking state of both. She was familiar with Cordelia’s stories, having been a member of the message board for three months now, and knew that soon a chic young camper with brown eyes and perfectly coiffed hair would take her camp counselors in hand off to a day spa for makeovers and shopping. At the end, they would be manicured, moisturized, sans bangs, and dressed in the latest fashions – and they would thank their young counselor for opening their eyes and showing them the error of their ways.

Willow wondered who was who on the message board. Cordelia and Andrew had already introduced themselves, and she knew who Buffy and Xander were. That might be the sum total of who she could pick out of the crowd, she realized – without talking, there were no clues about whose handle matched up to their identity.

As she continued to look at people out of the corner of her eyes, her glance happened to fall on the same blonde girl they had met in the hallway earlier. She sat next to her outspoken blonde friend who had propositioned Xander, with her full attention seemingly on Cordelia. But when Willow’s gaze fell upon her, she looked up as if sensing the attention.

Willow immediately shot her eyes back to Cordelia. Caught! she thought to herself, as a small blush crept up on her cheeks. She sneaked another look. The girl was still looking at her, and when Willow’s eyes met hers, she gave her a little half-smile.

Willow smiled back, her heart hammering in her chest. Wow oh wow oh wow, she thought to herself. Their shared glance only lasted for a half-second, but it seemed to Willow that the effects would last much longer than that. I can’t believe it, she smiled at me! Those eyes. I wonder if she saw me blush and thinks I’m a total spaz?

Tara grinned to herself as she elicited a smile from the redhead across the room. Somehow the girl’s embarrassment at being caught had made her feel braver, so instead of looking away when she had first caught the redhead’s eyes, she watched and waited for her to look again. She wasn’t usually so forward – not that smiling at someone across a room would be considered forward in anyone else’s book – but the stimulation of the day’s workshops and the plenary speech combined with the other girl’s discomfiture had emboldened her.

“And so Xena and Gabrielle returned to camp carrying their day’s purchases – stylish activewear, waterproof mascara, and long-lasting hair conditioner. They ended the day a little less innocent than they had begun, but both knew that they would carry the tips they had learned from Hayley through the rest of their days at camp – and beyond.” Applause broke out throughout the room as Cordelia spoke the last words of her story.

“Say what you will about the subject matter, the girl knows how to pace her story and wind it all up,” Anya whispered to Tara.

With a bright smile, Cordelia acknowledged the applause. “Thank you so much, everyone. Okay. Now who’s next?”

Anya’s hand shot up.

“Okay, we have a volunteer!” Cordelia ceded the floor to Anya, who walked up to the front of the room.

“Good evening,” she told the crowd. “My name is Anya, and I’m aphrodite on the message board.” Several people hooted in appreciation, and Anya acknowledged them with a little bow.

“The story I’m going to read tonight is called ‘Village Voluptuosa’ I feel like I should have a disclaimer or something – folks, this is NC-17. Leave now if you’re not up for it.”

Nobody moved, so Anya began reading.

“Xena and Gabrielle approached the village they had spotted some days earlier as they crossed the foothills of the Voluptuosa mountain range. The village was nestled in a valley that lay between the V made by two hills that sloped downward to meet on the valley floor. A tightly packed bundle of buildings in the north-central part of the valley was clearly the nerve center for the community, with gardens and farmland accompanied by occasional cottages covering most of the rest of the available flat land. A small pond lay directly south of the village center.

“Xena, that’s odd,” Gabrielle said. “I see a pond, but there’s no river or creek that feeds it.”

”Must be an underground spring,” Xena commented, urging Argo forward. “Not uncommon when you’re so close to a mountain range.”

Xander leaned over to Buffy. “What’s with all the description of the surroundings? Normally aphrodite just jumps right into the smutty goodness and only describes the scenery when somebody’s naked body falls down onto it in the throes of passion.”

Buffy gave him a look. “If you don’t know, then I’m not going to tell you.”

While Anya described Xena and Gabrielle’s surprised and salacious discovery of the inhabitants of Voluptuosa Village and their particular proclivities, Willow’s mind was wandering. Is it cheating on wiccanbard to have smiled at some other girl? I mean, people smile at each other all the time. And wiccanbard and I are not even a couple. Heck, we haven’t even really discussed anything beyond just meeting in person as a thing unto itself. Everything else has been pretty much unspoken. But there’s definite implications of more, assuming that we like each other as well in person as we do online. I think. Don’t want to assume anything here. Anyway. No more smiles until this is all worked out tomorrow.

Having resolved this, Willow sneaked another glance at the blonde girl. Again, as if sensing the regard, the girl looked back at Willow. They shared another smile.

Okay, that was really the last time.

“And sated, they fell backward onto the soft and slightly sticky bed, where their subsequent dreams were filled with images of all they had done today, and promises of what else they would do tomorrow,” Anya finished.

The room erupted into applause, and Anya half-curtsied as she returned to her seat.

“Bra-VO!” Xander shouted, clapping enthusiastically from his seat on the floor.

“No standing ovation?” Willow asked.

“Standing is not a good idea for me right now,” Xander replied, still clapping.

The rest of the two hours passed quickly, with various authors volunteering to read stories from all genres. Some authors, like Andrew, were well-known to the entire room, while others were newer. Willow became absorbed in several of the stories, and almost before she knew it, 11pm had come and the gathering was beginning to break up.

The three friends stood up and stretched from their uncomfortable positions on the floor. Buffy yawned.

“Tired, Buff?” Xander asked, looking across the room.

“Yep,” she replied. “I’m going to go upstairs and get some shuteye. Come with?”

“I’ll come,” Willow said. Xander shook his head, however.

“I’m going to go to talk to aphrodite – I mean, Anya. I want to tell her how much I liked her story. I’ll catch up with you girls later.”

“Yes, it certainly seemed to have an effect on you,” Buffy deadpanned. Xander acknowledged the teasing with a wink and walked across the room to where Anya stood, surrounded by a small knot of admirers.

Willow watched him go, noticing the blonde girl she had shared smiles with hanging around near Anya, seeming to wait in the background. They must be together, Willow thought to herself. Friends, at least. Maybe more? Dunno.

Buffy interrupted her train of thought. “Coming?” Willow nodded, and the two left the room, heading for the bank of elevators.

[hr]

Tara quickly tired of waiting for Anya to finish talking with the many people who wanted to speak to her about writing, writing smut, and plain old smut. She noticed the redhead leaving the room with the petite blonde she had sat next to, and felt a little twinge of regret at not talking with her. Maybe that’s for the best. No need to complicate tomorrow’s meeting with amazon_hacker by meeting someone else beforehand, she rationalized.

Catching Anya’s eye, she indicated with a motion of her head that she was heading out. Anya blew her a kiss, and she exited the room, unaware of the jealous glances aimed her way from a few of Anya’s admirers.

Tara felt restless. Sitting for so long had made her a little stiff, and she thought she’d go walk in the hotel’s courtyard for a bit before heading up to bed. She let herself out through the double doors and stepped into the night.

The courtyard was deserted, and the night was cool. The stars were scattered across the sky like cracker crumbs on a carpet. Tara inhaled the air as she walked aimlessly around the courtyard. Today had been such a busy day, filled with so many people and exciting ideas, she was glad of the chance to be alone and relax from the stimulation of so many people.

She sat down by the side of the courtyard path on a bench, and gazed off into space. Truth be told, she mused, she was more than a little nervous about tomorrow’s proposed meeting with amazon_hacker.

Tara had been a member of the message board for a couple of years now, ever since going to college, getting regular access to the internet, and meeting Anya. Anya had been on the board slightly longer than Tara, and had introduced her new roommate to the community after the two had discovered their mutual interest in the TV show.

Tara had enjoyed reading the stories that various authors posted to the board, reveling in the ideas that people came up with. Some authors wrote about what was presumably happening between Xena and Gabrielle between episodes while sticking closely to the show’s existing plotline. Others took a different tack, writing in the ‘What If’ genre – what if this or that hadn’t happened, what if so-and-so had made a different choice, how would events have transpired differently. After the season’s disastrous finale, those authors who didn’t swear off the show entirely coped with the loss by writing different endings (and by posting a spate of non-complimentary comments about the show’s creator who had conceived of the final episodes as fitting).

The variety of stories that Tara read on the message board delighted her, and finally she decided to try her hand at writing. Much to her surprise (but not to Anya’s), she found that she had a real knack for it. She mostly wrote in the uber genre, feeling more freedom to experiment with characters and situations, and more competent to discuss aspects of Wicca than mythological monsters. But she worked hard to keep the essential character traits of Xena and Gabrielle alive, even if she did put them in different situations. And the fans on the board seemed to enjoy her work also.

Some of them enjoyed it too much. Halfway through her freshman year, after she had posted a few stories and had amassed something of a following, she began to receive a spate of private messages from a few overzealous fans, one in particular who seemed determined to meet her. A private person by nature, Tara had never posted any of her contact information online, but that didn’t stop this particular user from messaging her endlessly. Finally, the board’s moderators had enabled a ‘block’ on the user, but the experience had shaken Tara and she had resolved not to engage with anyone online and just to use the message board as a creative outlet. She still responded to comments and feedback about her stories, offered feedback to others, and participated in some of the board’s other forums, but she steadily rebuffed anyone who wanted to chat with her one-on-one. That’s how it had been for the rest of her freshman year and most of her sophomore year as well.

Until amazon_hacker, that is. The girl had joined the message board about three months ago, and had quickly caught Tara’s attention with her own fiction, and her enthusiastic comments about Tara’s and other authors’ work. amazon_hacker’s stories usually featured a Xena who was a reformed computer hacker who used her skills to help catch criminals who authored viruses and worms. Usually Gabrielle was a private investigator or other law enforcement type who had to overcome a grudging mistrust of the former hacker, which eventually blossomed into romance. She had a knack for explaining the complicated world of port scanning, nmap, and system vulnerability analysis in a way that anyone could understand – and her exploration of the relationship between Xena and Gabrielle especially caught Tara’s attention.

It wasn’t that amazon_hacker’s portrayal of their relationship as lesbian was unusual – actually, having them not be lesbians was more out of the norm, at least for their message board. No, it was something about how she described their day-to-day interactions. Tara couldn’t quite put her finger on it. Something about how the two would feel a pull toward each other that they tried to resist, and how they gradually overcame mistrust to discover that the other was her soul mate.

Perhaps it was that that convinced Tara to start talking one-on-one with amazon_hacker, she thought. The subconscious thought that if she could just transcend her wariness, that she, too, might find her soul mate. Although she had no such grand plans in mind when she began to chat with amazon_hacker – she just enjoyed talking to the person who left such insightful feedback about her stories, and who intrigued her so much with her descriptions of a world Tara didn’t know much about. And over the last three months, she was surprised and gratified to find that amazon_hacker was a very funny, caring person who was extremely engaging. Tara looked forward to their daily chats and felt a pang when some life circumstance or other would keep them from their regular dose of talking. The two didn’t discuss personal details – and not really impersonal details either. But when cordy had announced UberCon ’05 and both girls planned on going, amazon_hacker had suggested that they meet up there.

Tara was apprehensive, but not terrified – which surprised her. She felt like enough of amazon_hacker’s personality had come across during their months of chatting that she had developed a level of trust. And – she thought this was silly, but it was still true – she thought that the type of sweet relationship Xena and Gabrielle had in amazon_hacker’s fic boded well for how the author might approach her real-life relationships.

But that’s really putting the cart before the horse, she thought. She looked down at her watch and was startled to realize that thirty minutes had passed while she was reminiscing. She stood up and headed back into the hotel to get some sleep.

Post subject: Re: New Fic - UberCon '05 (Updated 7/30/05)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:08 pm 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

DIBS!!!

ETA:

Man, we really need one of these cons for us kittens. And why does the Sunset Lounge setting remind me of the Flamingo Lounge?

Tara and Anya are so well matched. I LOL at
Quote:
“I think it’s a case of you not having any gaydar.”

Well, she has Xan-dar! *groan*

You've written the X/A and W/T first sightings so in character. Both pairs noticed each other immediately but X and A were so much faster and less hand-wringing,
Quote:
“Don’t tell me you’re suddenly straight and now you’re crushing on my boy?”

:lmao one glance and Xander is already Anya's boy, how sweet. If only Willow and Tara are more direct.

Tara's online posting experience speaks to me on a personal level. Luckily I haven't had to experience being stalked, but the desire to stay in the background, not give out personal information, being polite but keeping an arms length -- that was the watson who was hidden (anyone remember? anyone wish watson had stayed hidden?). The part about making friends, chatting with someone who is funny and engaging, of feeling
Quote:
a pang when some life circumstance or other would keep them from their regular dose of talking

my god woman, have you been training your secret surveillance camera on my life?

Love your (intentional? unintentional?) digs at fanfic writing.

Quote:
“So how was the Rated R discussion?”

“Pretty steamy"

R fics, steamy? Er, really? I've never really read an R fic that has me wanting a cold shower or to want to :drool to be honest. But then I'm "tastefully perverted" tm terra :lol

LOL about Cordy's fic. She's a mod? and she writes fics about a camp counselor who takes her charges shopping and for make-overs? My god, Mary Sue much? And people like it and leave fb for it? [/sarcasm]

Oh, and it's funny to have people write stories that are close to themselves. Does it mean that I'm a time-traveling / globe-trekking teenager who has an extremely angsty life and who drinks lots of coffee and have smutty sex? What about Cam? A woman disguised as a man who is secretly a spy from an Agatha Christie novel and who hangs out in an alternative universe full of vampire doubles of herself?

Ack, another of my 647 multiple personalities trying to attract attention. It's hard, trying to control so many ...

Last edited by watty on Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:37 pm 
19. Yummy Face

Second Dibs!

Yay for Xena fans!!!

Sally,

I'm sorry I haven't left feedback for this before. I was fighting so much with my muse, I didn't have time to feedback. But, I've been keeping up with each update and anxiously awaiting the next.

You're so dead on with the concept of Xena fans and conventions and such. I'm a veteran of conventions myself...I used to work for Creation Entertainment at the Xena Cons...so I got to see it all! And, having met just about every star on Xena...I can say that you're absolutely right about Alex Tydings...she's so smart and so sweet and SUCH a fan of Xena fans. She's a big lover of fanfic too...as is Claire Stansfield. Their Triple X Review during the 2001 Pasadena Con.....:drool. Nuff said!

I really like the subtle interactions you have going on with Willow and Tara...I feel like singing...

**Some enchanted evening
You may see a stranger,
you may see a stranger
Across a crowded room
And somehow you know,
You know even then
That somewhere you'll see her
Again and again.**

Okay...I'm done singing.

But, seriously, their shy glances, cute smiles, hitched breaths, they are all so wonderful. When each realizes that the stranger across the crowded room is the one she was planning to meet anyway, life is going to be beautiful.

Cordy and Anya's fics....TOO FUNNY!!! Leave it to Anya to come up with all of that imagery. :lmao

Well done, Sally...well done! Can't wait for the next installment.

Carleen

Frivolous Views

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:47 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

so cordy has her own ff sub-genre, makeover fic? priceless. i got a big kick out of trying to picture her fan base; harmony, maybe ty pennington...
liked willow correcting xander's use of people to person, nice that willow is already defending tara on the thinnest of meetings. and her worrying that she may have cheated on wiccanbard by smiling at someone else (who really isn't else, i'm hurting my brain here) very willowy.
of course, hooking xander and anya up only goes half way to clearing a room for the girls, now they've got to get buffy out for the night or no one's hooking up.
i'm nervously anticipating a little stalkery interference and angst on the horizon, hope you won't let it get to tara too much, don't want to see her inate trust of willow dampened by stalker replay sitch. ~mary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:15 pm 
18. Breast Gal

:bow Another great chapter :bow

Willow and Tara are so cute :x Shy glances, Tara's unexpected surge of boldness to actually hold her gaze on Willow, both of them worrying about whether they're cheating on each other :lol Poor Tara, with the stalkery fan - I sense approaching angst from this evil dark-haired woman formerly mentioned.

I loved the readings - Cordy's fashion extravaganza was hilarious, and Anya's scenic story :D I bet her fans love it when she described the geography in loving detail.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:23 am 
4. Extra Flamey

The feedback fairy came to me and whacked me over the head with a newspaper going "You forgot something didn't you!" Yeah so here I am finally leaving feedback for your wonderful fic.

Okay Chapter 3, where is everyone getting the stolen pin idea? I really didn't pick up on it from the way the story is written but I can see where the assumption comes from. It would also make the story a bit more interesting, some wacky-ness ensuing, but I got to tell you I didn't pick up on it. Maybe I'm just slow.

Chapter 4, we get some interaction. Willow attempting to scan the crowd and figure out who everyone is. Cordy and her formulaic fic. Anya and the fun scenery description.
Quote:
Buffy gave him a look. “If you don’t know, then I’m not going to tell you.”

Good ending with Tara's background and ponderings. I believe you can tell a lot about a person by what and the way the write. For instance you writing this fic says you have a sense of humor. As watson says: "Love your (intentional? unintentional?) digs at fanfic writing." To write about 'us type of people' so gracefully and embracing some of the fun and even a few not so fun stereotypes shows what a fun person you are.

Okay I think the feedback fairy has stopped glaring at me. Cheers and can't wait for the next update! :bounce

-wiccanbotanist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:15 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

watson -
Quote:
Man, we really need one of these cons for us kittens.

I agree – would you like to volunteer to be one of the co-chairs? :eyebrow

Quote:
Well, she has Xan-dar! *groan*

*groan* is right. I’ll make the jokes around here, thank you very much. (Just kidding, of course - the more humor, the better.)

Quote:
You've written the X/A and W/T first sightings so in character…If only Willow and Tara are more direct.

Thank you! That’s one of my biggest concerns, writing in character without reducing them just to clichés of themselves. If Willow and Tara were more direct, there would be a lot less plot and angst, eh – and many people on the kitten board seem to be angst whores. And I mean that in the nicest of ways – I’m a whore too! (an angst whore)

Quote:
(anyone remember? anyone wish watson had stayed hidden?).

I don’t think I was on the kitten board when you were hiddenwatson, but I think that I probably speak for lots of people when I say thank goodness you’re not hidden anymore! I think that Cordelia, that intrepid moderator, would think you were an asset to the board – you feedback a lot, you participate in forums, you write awesome fanfic, you make humorous and ironic comments in chat, and you’re nice to the new people. :)

Quote:
my god woman, have you been training your secret surveillance camera on my life?

Yes, actually! And if you could open your closet door just five more inches when you’re sleeping at night, that would be great. Camera A105b_x is just a little bit blocked.

Quote:
Love your (intentional? unintentional?) digs at fanfic writing.

All of my digs, whether intentional or unintentional, are meant in a very loving way – I’m glad you said this because I wanted a chance to make that point. I really love everything about fanfic and fan communities and any fun I poke at fanfic clichés or anything else like that is totally meant as the kind of affectionate teasing you would give to a close friend – not pejorative in any way.

Quote:
Oh, and it's funny to have people write stories that are close to themselves.

You mean you’re not a time-traveling / globe-trekking teenager with an angsty life and coffee and smutty sex? Heh. Seriously, I think that most people have some elements of their own life in their writing, no matter how much they try to keep themselves out of it, don’t you? Probably not as much as these folks – but it’s easier for me to write their little snippets of ficlets if they draw pretty closely from their own lives and experience.

[hr]

GayNow
Quote:
I'm sorry I haven't left feedback for this before. I was fighting so much with my muse, I didn't have time to feedback.

Aw, don’t worry about it Car – by all means please court that muse and make sure she’s happy, because one of the high points of my week is when Coming Back gets updated!

Quote:
But, I've been keeping up with each update and anxiously awaiting the next.

I’m glad to hear it!

Quote:
You're so dead on with the concept of Xena fans and conventions and such. I'm a veteran of conventions myself

JEALOUS! I’ve never been to a convention for any show, but I read everyone’s reviews of going to Xena conventions when they were posted various places (my memory is so bad I can’t remember if it was a listserv, a message board, or what) and especially reviews about Alex Tydings’ and Claire Stansfields’ Triple X thingy – they just seemed to have such an appreciation for the fans and were so willing to play along, it sounded totally great. I wanted to have Alex be the celebrity guest at UberCon even though I won’t be writing her into the story, as such (it will all be in medias res because otherwise it’s a little strange).

Quote:
I really like the subtle interactions you have going on with Willow and Tara...I feel like singing...**Some enchanted evening You may see a stranger,

Sing it, sister! If this were “Fins, Femmes, and Gems” it would be “Salmon chanted evening!” Ha – thanks for the comments on the subtle interactions. The biggest challenge is to keep them from running across the crowded room to each other and throwing themselves into a passionate embrace just from the sheer magnetism they exude for each other. :) I tell ya, these characters have a mind of their own. I never used to believe it before when I read books about writing, but I’m finding it’s true.

Thank you very much for reading and for the feedback!

[hr]

meretricious -
Quote:
so cordy has her own ff sub-genre, makeover fic? priceless. i got a big kick out of trying to picture her fan base; harmony, maybe ty pennington...

Hee! You’ve got that right, Harmony is a fan. Ty Pennington, LOL…

Quote:
liked willow correcting xander's use of people to person, nice that willow is already defending tara on the thinnest of meetings.

I’ve always thought there is a lot going on in Willow’s brain, no matter what world or situation she’s in.

Quote:
i'm nervously anticipating a little stalkery interference and angst on the horizon

Well, maybe just a little. But I promise it won’t get too creepy or anything. Tara’s a pretty smart cookie and not easily deceived (for long...)

[hr]

Artemis – thanks!

Quote:
Tara's unexpected surge of boldness to actually hold her gaze on Willow

I was thinking about this the other day and I think that while we usually think of Tara as shy – and she is shy, no question – she’s actually pretty bold. When I was watching Hush and Who Are You?, I think that’s the one, it was Tara who took the first steps – going to Willow’s dorm room, asking Willow to come over to do spells, and of course saying “I am you know. Yours?” So I view her as a character who is naturally shy, but she works hard to not let it hold her back.

Quote:
I loved the readings - Cordy's fashion extravaganza was hilarious, and Anya's scenic story grin I bet her fans love it when she described the geography in loving detail.

These were both fun to write and hard to write, Cordy’s harder to write and Anya’s more fun. Heh. I think most of Anya’s fans loved the scenery – those who got it, anyway, unlike Xander!

[hr]

wiccanbotanist – say hi to the feedback fairy for me! I heard she’s second cousins with the tooth fairy. :D

Quote:
Okay Chapter 3, where is everyone getting the stolen pin idea?

I wouldn’t say that you’re slow – I tried to write it sort of subtly so that people could have an a-ha moment later on when something happens, but I noticed that folks seemed to get it (or maybe just watson and everyone else got it from watson). But no, you’re not slow – just blame it on the time zone difference. ;)

Quote:
Willow attempting to scan the crowd and figure out who everyone is.

I wonder if we had a kitten convention, could we all figure out who each other is?

Quote:
For instance you writing this fic says you have a sense of humor.

Hee!

Quote:
As watson says: "Love your (intentional? unintentional?) digs at fanfic writing." To write about 'us type of people' so gracefully and embracing some of the fun and even a few not so fun stereotypes shows what a fun person you are.

Thank you! As I said in replying to watson’s comment, any “digs” are meant in a completely loving way. I love fan fiction and the fan communities that grow up around TV shows (and books, and music…), and I love the Kitten board – it’s such a great online community. Much like the vibe on The Warrior, the Bard, and the Bad Wardrobe, this message board has very nice and supportive people on it! And any resemblance between characters in the story/their fics and RL kittens, if there is any to be found, is completely coincidental.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:44 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

Well, kittens, I’m off tomorrow for a mini-break to the lovely (?) seaside town of Atlantic City, NJ for a little gambling and fun. Wish me luck, and while I’m hanging with the high rollers around the blackjack table, here’s an update on what our girls have been up to at UberCon!

Part: 5

Setting: AU. No magic, no vampires or slayers. Everyone is attending a three-day convention, UberCon ‘05 for their favorite TV show Xena: Warrior Princess. The convention takes place in a hotel about 2 hours away from Sunnydale.

[hr]

Part 5 – Insomnia

Buffy turned over in the bed and stopped snoring. Thank goodness, Willow thought, lying next to her. I would never have been able to get to sleep with that racket. At that moment, Buffy began to snore again – deep, even breaths that sounded for all the world like an electric buzzsaw. Each snore seemed to enter Willow’s ears and wrap around her brain with almost a tangible presence, prodding her more and more awake. Finally in frustration she got out of the bed.

Buffy lay on her side with her knees drawn up to her chest. Her mouth was slightly open, which only served to amplify the volume of her snores. She was drooling on her pillow and was facing directly toward Willow’s side of the bed.

I love Buffy, but she is definitely not at her most attractive when she’s asleep. And where is Xander? Why must I suffer alone? Does Buffy have apnea? Willow’s mood was rapidly deteriorating. Well, there’s no point in staying in here if I can’t sleep.

She walked over to her suitcase and removed her pajamas, pulling on the jeans and shirt she had worn earlier that day. She grimaced when she realized she had forgotten to pack any books, but saw a magazine peeking out from Buffy’s shoulder bag. She grabbed the magazine, her wallet, and a key, and eased the door open carefully so as to not make a loud noise.

Buffy turned over in her sleep and was silent. Willow slowly allowed the door handle to close. As the door let out a soft snick, Willow heard Buffy begin to snore again. Rolling her eyes, Willow made for the elevator.

[hr]

Tara leaned against the elevator wall as she rode up to her room. She was tired from the long day and instead of stretching out in the courtyard as she had planned, she had sat for another half hour, lost in thought. I’m looking forward to lying down, she thought.

As she walked down the hallway, she spotted something on the door handle of her and Anya’s shared hotel room. “Huh,” she said, fingering the nylon stocking that was tied into a bow around the handle. She unfolded the piece of paper that was taped to the door just above the stocking and read it.

[blockquote]T-

I promise, no longer than 30 minutes.

xoxo,
An
[/blockquote]
Tara sighed, but was more resigned than annoyed. She and Anya had discussed what to do if either one of them had a romantic liaison over the weekend, and had agreed on the tried-and-true sock-on the-doorknob method. Tara had known she probably wouldn’t be taking advantage of the need for privacy, but clearly Anya needed some now. I should have put some time-of-night parameters around this, Tara thought. As she took out a pen to write on the back of the paper – I’ll be down in the coffee shop, T - she caught the faint strains of voices coming through the door.

A deep voice, singing. Singing? “He’s Xander the mighty, he always looks tidy, everybody loves him, ‘cause he’s got a funny grin…”

Then a higher-pitched voice. “Anya is his sidekick, playing with his little stick…”

“LITTLE?”

“Aw, Xander, it’s not how big your sword is, but the vigor you bring to the fight.” The voices gave way to some muffled sounds of shrieking and thrashing, followed by “No tickling!”

Tara checked her watch and marked the time as she slid the note under the door. If Anya doesn’t come get me within a half hour, then I’ll just have to come up here and break it up. She smirked to herself, knowing that she would probably do no such thing, but enjoying the thought. She turned away from the occupied room and walked back down the hallway toward the elevator.

[hr]

Willow settled into the padded bench of the booth. She had been pleasantly surprised to find the coffee shop still open, and even more pleased to find that they offered a selection of herbal tea. Maybe a dose of kava kava will knock me out. And if not, I can always stuff the teabag into my ears, she thought wryly as she tugged on the teabag’s string as it floated in the teapot. She replaced the lid to allow it to steep, and turned her attention to the magazine she had borrowed from Buffy.

It was a martial arts magazine, with articles about all facets of the sport – techniques, personality profiles of prominent athletes, and advertisements for karate schools. Not my usual cup of tea – ha ha – but any port in a storm, Willow thought. She began to read an article comparing the two disciplines of karate and kung fu, and found herself more interested than she would have thought.

The fan fiction she had written for this weekend was a departure from her usual genre. In her previous fiction, Willow had placed Xena and Gabrielle in the world of computer hacking, since computers were such a big part of her own life. She wrote about what she knew best, and hoped she explained the technical aspects of her stories in a way that was understandable for the lay person. Buffy was an excellent sounding board for most of those stories, having basic knowledge of how computers worked from an end user perspective, but not knowing much about programming or hacking. If Buffy understood the technical parts – and better yet, found them interesting – then Willow knew she was writing at the right level for most readers.

She had found herself a little more out of her element in her latest fic. Her ongoing chats with wiccanbard had turned her thoughts to magic, and she began to play around with an idea about incorporating the use of magic into a story. That, combined with a movie night at Buffy’s house where they had first watched Charmed (at Buffy’s kid sister Dawn’s insistence) and later Dracula, had given her the basic framework for her idea: Xena as the ‘chosen one,’ a vampire slayer, assisted by her witch friend (and lover) Gabrielle.

She had found the fight scenes harder to write than she had anticipated, not being much of a fighter herself. As she scanned the article in Buffy’s magazine, she began to make mental notes of how she could incorporate some of the fighting techniques that were discussed into her story. ‘Xena knocked her assailant’s feet out from under him with a snap kick’ sounds better than ‘Xena kicked him in the shins,’ she mused.

Thinking about her story led her to thoughts of wiccanbard. She was excited about their planned meeting. She had been chatting online with the girl for well on three months now, and knew almost from the first that she had stumbled across something special.

Willow’s friendships were important to her – she and Xander had been friends since childhood, and were a close as siblings – closer, probably. She and Buffy had been fast friends ever since Buffy had moved to Sunnydale at the beginning of high school. Buffy’s carefree ease and free spirit had helped nudge Willow to out of her shell and to view herself not just as a nerd, but as a fun person who was worth knowing. Together, the three of them formed a tight group that was unconditionally supportive and accepting of each other. Their common interest in the show Xena: Warrior Princess, which began its first season at the beginning of their high school freshman year, was just another activity they could participate in together.

Each person found something different in the show, and took something different away from it. Buffy loved the fighting – the swordplay, the hand-to-hand combat, and especially Xena’s war cry. Her appreciation for the fighting had led her to begin practicing martial arts in high school, and her natural ability helped her quickly ascend the ranks until now, halfway through college, she was helping to teach classes at the dojo. The discipline and concentration that karate required, combined with the cathartic outlet of physical exertion, gave Buffy a grounding influence in her life – an anchor from which she could face things like her parents’ divorce, the strain of being the new kid in a brand new high school, and putting up with her well-loved but often annoying little sister.

Xander saw the show at first mainly through the lens of his adolescent hormones, watching mainly because Willow and Buffy did (and with eyes only for Xena’s ample breastplate and Gabrielle’s toned midriff). As the seasons waxed on, though, he began to identify with Joxer, the goofy recurring character who desperately wanted to be a warrior but never seemed to quite measure up. As the show wore on and Joxer progressed from comic relief to a character with more depth and a pivotal role to play in the battle for good, Xander began to realize that his own clowning around was a defense against his unease about his tumultuous family life and his feelings of difference from his friends since he did not head on to college as they did after high school. Understanding this helped him to a new level of acceptance, and he had become more comfortable with his life plans.

Willow found something else in the show – something unexpected. She had spent most of her life feeling different from other people – she was the smart kid, the computer nerd, she had detached and often-absent parents, she felt unpopular and unattractive, couldn’t talk to boys (except Xander, who didn’t count), and of course the other usual teenage woes. She hadn’t thought it was particularly unusual that she wasn’t boy-crazy like all of her other peers in high school – she just chalked it up to yet another characteristic that set her apart, wondering occasionally on dark nights of the soul if something inside her was broken in that regard. But Buffy’s own boy-craziness often made it seem like there was plenty to go around.

But watching Xena and Gabrielle’s relationship evolve over the course of time evoked a deep emotional response from Willow, something that she couldn’t quite put her finger on at first. The depth of their friendship was apparent, as was the deep bond they forged and reaffirmed through challenges and tribulations. In watching certain scenes, Willow found herself glued to the television set with a thumping heart.

Gabrielle was poisoned, and Xena wept, holding her near-lifeless body, begging the gods to give Gabrielle back to her, and exhorting Gabrielle to fight for her life. Gabrielle got married, and Xena kept up a brave face, only faltering a bit as she placed a kiss on her friend’s lips to bid her goodbye. Xena died, and possessed Autolycus’s body – and kissed Gabrielle passionately on the astral plane. And of course, Xena and Gabrielle hastily awakened in a haystack, clearly having been interrupted from some intimate discourse.

At first, Willow wasn’t quite sure what to make of her reaction to scenes like this – it seemed like all she felt was an achingly sweet longing and sadness. During her junior year of high school, she began to have a glimmer of an idea, and by the end of her senior year, she had begun to realize – and accept – that the longing she felt while watching the show was actually the longing she felt for a similar bond with another person. A female person.

After embracing this revelation, much of her life began to make more sense. She wasn’t flawed or emotionally stunted, as she had begun to fear – she was simply interested in girls rather than boys. During the summer before college, she told Buffy and Xander about her realization, and they readily accepted and adjusted to it.

[blockquote]Xander, in private, had asked her soon after, “So do you, you know, like Buffy in that way?”

Willow had considered this already. “I love Buffy. She’s really important to me. But it’s not like that between us – and I’m not carrying any kind of unrequited love torch, either. I don’t really know how to explain it other than to say that I love her, but not in that way.”

“But you think she’s attractive, right?” Xander pressed.

“Well sure - she is attractive. But I’m pretty sure there’s a lot more to love than just finding someone aesthetically pleasing.”

“Not that I’ve experienced,” Xander said.

Willow smiled at him. “Well, not yet, maybe. I mean, I’ve never been in love either – but I’m sure it’s probably a pretty overwhelming experience.”

“Overwhelming like how?”

Willow shrugged. “I don’t know. I think I’ll just know it when I feel it.”[/blockquote]
That conversation stuck with her through the rest of the summer. What is it like to fall in love? she wondered. Observation didn’t yield much insight – her parents’ relationship seemed more like a business partnership than a passionate romance. Xander didn’t date often, although not for lack of trying. Buffy’s string of roller-coaster romances seemed to Willow not exactly the stuff of real love. And as for Willow herself, she didn’t think she had yet met the right person, because her yearning never found a focus in any of the girls she met.

In college she enrolled in computer science classes during the first term of her freshman year, of course, but surprised herself by also picking up a creative writing elective. Maybe writing about this will help me to figure some of it out, she thought. Unsure of where to begin, however, she used the framework of the Xena/Gabrielle relationship to give her stories focus and structure (changing their names, though – she didn’t think Jenny, the graduate student who taught her creative writing course, would approve of using characters that were not original).

Though the process of writing stories didn’t yield any greater truths, Willow found that she enjoyed it – so much so that she continued with the courses throughout the remainder of her freshman year and sophomore year as well. Toward the end of her sophomore year, Jenny pulled her aside after class.

[blockquote]“Willow, I want to ask you something. It’s about your stories. You seem to use the same two characters pretty often as your protagonists – a tall brunette with a dark past, and a blonde who helps to redeem her in some way.”

Willow gulped internally. This must be my day of reckoning. Am I going to get in trouble for plagiarism? “Um, yeah,” she said. “They’re sort of based on two characters in a TV show. Oh god, am I in trouble?”

Jenny laughed. “Not with me. I’m a big Xena fan – I started catching some of the reruns earlier this year and the dynamic between those two really reminded me of your work. Just thought I’d ask you about it.”

Willow relaxed a little. “Yeah, I’ve been watching Xena ever since it first came on.”

“You know, Willow, you have talent. If you ever want to publish your stories, you’ll need to write characters that are original, or at least not based so heavily on Xena and Gabrielle. But right now you clearly have an interest in this particular genre, and I think you might benefit from interacting with some other writers who share your interest. There are lots of fan communities out there on the internet where you can share your work and get feedback from other people who know the show and who also write about it. I’d recommend that you check it out.”[/blockquote]
Willow was no stranger to the internet, although most of her online activities centered around computer software and hardware, programming, and hacking techniques. But Jenny’s encouragement had planted a seed, and Google led her to a Xena and Gabrielle fan message board called The Warrior, the Bard, and the Bad Wardrobe.

True to Jenny’s prediction, Willow had thrived in the fan community. She enjoyed reading other people’s works, often finding more depth and satisfaction in them than she did in the actual show. And after the last two episodes – which ended the series so abruptly and illogically, in her mind – the message board provided a healing balm. It was truly a world where Xena and Gabrielle could exist together forever, untouched by the whims and vagaries of the show’s writers.

And it was also a world where Willow met wiccanbard. At first, wiccanbard was simply one of Willow’s favorite authors, whose characterization of Xena and Gabrielle and the pacing of their relationship touched a chord with Willow. wiccanbard's portrayal of Xena and Gabrielle’s relationship was that of a gently supportive friendship that gradually grew in intensity and passion. wiccanbard described this gradual blossoming of trust and intimacy in slow, loving detail – generating many exhortations from her fans for frequent updates.

Willow’s appreciative feedback for wiccanbard’s stories was returned with thankful replies, and then comments of wiccanbard’s own on Willow’s stories. And comments led to more replies, which led to private messaging and then chatting. Willow’s attention drifted from the karate/kung fu article as she remembered the first message wiccanbard had sent to her.

[blockquote]Private Message
To: amazon_hacker
April 4, 2005 4:32pm

um, hi there. i just wanted to let you know again how much i really, really like the story that you’re writing. the last update kept me guessing – i wondered who the mysterious rogue hacker was, and turns out it was gabrielle! brilliant – even though she professes to suspect xena of being the author of the virus, she clearly has doubts enough to want to throw her bosses off the trail for a while until she figures it out.

anyway, i am really enjoying this story and hope that you continue with it.

wiccanbard

Private Message
To: wiccanbard
April 4, 2005 5:03pm

Hi! Wow, what a great surprise – to come home from class and find a private message from one of my favorite authors in my inbox! Thank you so much – this last update was a bit of a challenge because I was trying to find a way to show how Gabrielle senses that Xena’s not the bad guy (well, not guy, bad girl? That sounds not quite right...bad person maybe?) without having her do something completely unethical since she’s an FBI agent, ‘cause that seems out of character.

It means a lot to me to know that you like my fic. Your characterizations of their relationship in your stories are really right on – I feel like I’m living in the story when I’m reading, and I can hear the characters in my head saying the words that you’ve written. It’s so…dialogue-y.

amazon_hacker

Private Message
April 4, 2005 5:07pm

“dialogue-y” ?

Private Message
April 4, 2005 5:09pm

That probably didn’t make as much sense to read as it did in my head. I guess what I meant to say was that the way you write what they’re saying sounds really natural even when saying it out loud. Not that I sit around reading out loud! Well, not often anyway. LOL. Hey, we’re online at the same time – want to chat?

a_h

Private Message
April 4, 2005 5:14pm

ummmm. i don’t really go into the chat room, like ever…

Private Message
April 4, 2005 5:15pm

Oh, gosh, I’m sorry. Did I come across as really pushy asking you if you wanted to chat? ‘Cause I don’t mean to – I just figured it would be faster than trading private messages back and forth, seeing that we’re both online at the same time. But that’s okay – private messaging is fine also. Finey McFine fine. But I wasn’t even suggesting the board’s chat room – it’s fun and all but can be kinda crazy sometimes and not that great for conversation between two people. I could set up a private chat room that only the two of us would have access to. Hmmm – that sounds a little seedy, but I swear I don’t mean it that way. Oh gosh, you’re never going to private message me again, are you?

Private Message
April 4, 2005 5:18pm

:) actually, if you can set up a private chat room, that would be…kind of neat. i'd like that. could you tell me how to get into it? i'm not much of a chat expert.

Private Message
April 4, 2005 5:19pm

Sure! Great! Here’s all you’ll need to do – just go to http://chakram.ircworld.org and connect to channel #quill – it will ask you for a password to enter the private chat room. Do you want to tell me a password that you’ll remember and I’ll set the chat room password to that for this session?

Private Message
April 4, 2005 5:20pm

okay – how about insectreflection ?

Private Message
April 4, 2005 5:21pm

Got it.

---------------

Establishing connection…
Connecting to client chakram.ircworld.org
Joining channel #quill as amazon_hacker

amazon_hacker: insectreflection?
wiccanbard: sort of a long story
amazon_hacker: is it a wicca thing?
wiccanbard: yep :)
amazon_hacker: so you’ve never chatted on the irc before?
wiccanbard: well, once a long time ago but everyone’s spelling was really bad. it was depressing
amazon_hacker: lol. yeah, it seems like a lot of people tend to let spelling go by the wayside on the internet. one of the casualties of progress, i guess.
wiccanbard: but there are some sticklers for spelling and punctuation
amazon_hacker: yes, we are a small but proud group
wiccanbard: can you see what i'm typing as i type it?
amazon_hacker: no, only when you press return – then it all shows up at once
wiccanbard: good, because my spelling isn’t always perfect – sometimes i have to look things up
amazon_hacker: that’s what spellcheck is for. hey, that’s funny – spelling, spellcheck, and then the wiccan variety of spells. is there a spellcheck for spells? or a spellcheck spell?
wiccanbard: ha![/blockquote]
Willow came out of her reverie as she noticed someone enter the otherwise empty coffee shop. The girl walked up to the counter and appeared to be ordering something to drink. Willow’s view was partially obscured by a pillar that blocked her line of sight, and she leaned over to get a better look. Oh my gosh, I think it’s HER – that blonde girl who caught me smiling at her at the fanfic reading!

The blonde girl accepted a steaming mug from the man behind the counter and turned to find a seat. Willow had ducked back behind the pillar, fidgeting nervously. Should I go ask her if she’d like to sit with me?

“I-is this seat taken?”

Willow’s head snapped up. The blonde girl was standing in front of her table, toying with her mug of tea and shifting from foot to foot as she awaited Willow’s response.

“No, it’s not – I’m alone. Would you like to join me?” Willow folded her magazine and made room at the table, her heart thumping both from the surprise and the proximity of the girl.

The blonde smiled as she slid into the empty seat. “Thanks.”

“No problem,” Willow answered. “My name’s Willow. I saw you earlier tonight.”

“I’m Tara.”

“It’s nice to meet you. Whatcha doing up so late – couldn’t sleep?”

Tara made a wry face as she removed the teabag from her mug and set it on a napkin. “Not exactly. My roommate sort of met someone tonight so I’m giving her a little bit of privacy.”

“Wow,” Willow sympathized. “My roommate is snoring and it’s so loud, there’s no possible way that I could have fallen asleep – so I came down here to read and hopefully get kind of sleepy.” At that moment, she let out a yawn which she embarrassedly tried to stifle with one hand.

Tara glanced at the torn teabag wrapper that lay by Willow’s teapot. “Kava kava?”

Willow nodded.

“That stuff will probably make you more than sleepy. I almost never drink it because it sort of knocks me out.” Tara indicated her own mug. “C-chamomile is about the strongest of the relaxant teas that I can handle.”

“I just asked the guy if there was a tea that would help me sleep – I guess he picked the right thing,” Willow said. “Wow, you’re not kidding – I do feel kind of loopy.” She yawned again. “I swear, it’s not the conversation.”

Tara smiled. She liked this girl – there was something about her friendliness that put Tara at ease. Her stutter, which usually appeared when she was nervous or uncomfortable, had barely registered at all during their short conversation. And there were also butterflies in her stomach – butterflies that had almost prevented her from approaching the girl in the first place, and that the chamomile tea wasn’t doing much to calm. But she had figured that the coffee shop was fairly deserted and it seemed silly to sit alone, especially since the two had exchanged glances earlier. It doesn’t mean anything, she rationalized. I’m still meeting amazon_hacker tomorrow. I’m just being friendly and meeting people. That’s what you’re supposed to do at a convention, right?

The redhead seemed to have been reading a martial arts magazine – she was probably one of the variety of Xena fans who was into the action and fighting aspects of the show. As Willow rubbed her eyes and yawned, Tara noticed something written on the back of the magazine in black ink.

Property of xenarulz

Ah, I know who that is, Tara thought. xenarulz was a member of the Warrior, the Bard, and the Bad Wardrobe message board, and was exactly the type of fan Tara had been thinking of – very into discussing the fight sequences and what fighting styles they embodied. Tara never followed those discussions very closely – she was more interested in the other parts of the storylines and often would fast-forward through the fight scenes if they stretched on for too long.

“So – is this the first time you’ve been to a convention?” Tara asked.

At that moment, Anya entered the coffee shop and looked around. “Tara!” she called out, spying her roommate. “I’m all done with my naughty romp! You can come to bed now!”

Tara nodded to Anya and smiled apologetically at Willow as she stood up. “Well, Willow, it was r-really nice to meet you. I hope you’re able to get to sleep tonight.” She gave Willow a half-smile.

Willow smiled back. “Thanks,” she replied. “I don’t think getting to sleep will be a problem – this tea really seems to have done the trick. It was nice meeting you too. And yes, this is my first time at a convention.” She watched Tara walk across the room to meet Anya and a faint glimmer of recognition crossed her face. I wonder if that’s where Xander has been all night? Boys! Why is it always so easy with them? She carried her empty mug and teapot to the counter and stuck Buffy’s magazine in her pocket as she headed for the stairs and to her bed, still yawning.

Tara nudged Anya as they rode up the elevator to their room. “So you didn’t waste any time, I see, reeling in one of your many fans,” she teased.

“Doesn’t look like you wasted any time either. I’d be happy to stay down here and have a cup of tea if you want to take your new friend upstairs to have orgasms.” Anya replied.

“Anya, jeez! We just happened to both be in the coffee shop at the same time. Her because her roommate was snoring, and me because my roommate was busy hooking up – or auditioning for the next Xena musical episode, by the sound of it,” Tara said.

“Listening at doors, my love?” Anya didn’t even look abashed. “Anyway, quit trying to throw the focus off yourself. Methinks the lady doth protest too much.”

“I don’t protest at all. This was just a coincidence, and tomorrow I’m meeting amazon_hacker and you’ll have something new to tease me about,” Tara said with an air of finality.

“And if amazon_hacker really is this redhead?” Anya asked.

“Then we’d have a great story to tell. But she’s not – I saw her handle written on her magazine, and it’s xenarulz. You know the one from the board who’s really into the fighting parts of the show?”

“Oh, that’s disappointing,” Anya said. “If this were a fan fiction story, she’d definitely be amazon_hacker and you’d ride off into the sunset together.”

“Well, it’s not. This is real life,” Tara replied, unlocking their hotel room door. She felt a twinge of disappointment as she said it. More than a twinge, actually. But tomorrow is another day.

Post subject: Re: UberCon '05 (Updated 8/3/05)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:49 pm 
19. Yummy Face

DIBS

ETA: Sally, so sorry my feedback is so delayed. But please know that I read the update immediately after it was posted...I just wasn't able to write anything up at that time. But, I'm here now. :D

Again, another great update. I love the use of flashback to tell a bit more of the story. Gee...me? A lover of flashbacks to fill in gaps and answer questions? Who woulda thunk? And the PMs and chat...brilliant!

W and T meeting in the little coffee shop and chatting it up live and in person was undeniably sweet. Nice little misdirection with Buffy's magazine...very nice indeed.

Well done, Sally! I can't wait for the next installment. Battle on!

Carleen

Frivolous Views

Last edited by GayNow on Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:05 am 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Sally,
It is truly a reflective piece of imagery the way you mirror the Xena/Gabrielle relationship and the burgeoning Willow/Tara relationship.
Another veteran of cons am I and yes, you do indeed see it all.
Rather like "Brigadoon" I've always considered them as they exist in a realm far removed from conventional reality.
Your allusion to fans rewriting the lfinale of "Xena" is the counterpoint to Willow and Tara fans seizing the opportunity to place them in the land of fan fiction and rewrite the worngs done to them by their errant creator.
The fans do indeed know what's best for the characters and treat them with far more respect and love for smut than the "official" writers ever did.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:16 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Anyone identify with the so very well written Willow's realisation of her sexuality please raise your hands.

*raises hand*

And I knew that as once Willow reached for Buffy's magazine we'd be having a misunderstanding taking place (see this time I'm not so slow!). But I'm glad they interacted a bit, and well the misunderstandings make for a fun time, I'm looking forward to the wackiness that will ensue as well as the sorting out of it all. :bounce :applause :clap

And I also noticed something that I hope was done purposefully, because I think it says a lot about our Tara. Her PMs to Willow used no capping whatsoever. Not even when she would refer to herself 'i'. This is a sign of low self-esteem and/or uncomfortableness with a computer. My brother used to type like that, though I think he did it out of laziness, it was too much to ever hit the shift key. But she does type full sentences which I'm greatful for. And I like how Willow switches when she gets into chat mode, I tend to type less 'proper' in chat. Anyways, that was kind of a random thing.

-wiccanbotanist

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next