The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Buffy remake without Joss -- yay/nay?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:21 am 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Topics: 3
So, yeah, apparently it's happening. Joss isn't exactly bursting with joy either.

Honestly, I think it's a terrible idea. This Buffy is my Buffy, is your Buffy, is Willow and Tara's Buffy. So far there's no talk of returning cast members, but since the target audience seems to be us, what would make you watch? Would you even consider watching a Buffy without Joss?

Post subject: Re: Buffy remake without Joss -- yay/nay?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:42 am 
23. Volumey Text

As everyone seems to be obessed with remakes at the moment (Marti Noxon is writing the script for the Fright Night remake) and vampires are pretty much in vogue,I'm not that surprised Buffy is getting remade but can't see it being any good without JW.

Post subject: Re: Buffy remake without Joss -- yay/nay?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:50 pm 
28. Com...plete

Topics: 12
I think it is a fantastic idea.

Anything that pisses off the Whedon-cult is perfect in my book.

I hope the movie does so well in the box office that people never look back at Joss again.

OR I hope it does so terrible that it kills any interest in Buffy for the next 20 years.

Tim

Tara: "My whole life has been 'Tara, don't use your magic.' 'Tara, hide your powers.' 'Tara you will scare someone.' But you tried to hurt and then kill Willow. So maybe it is time I showed everyone just how powerful I am."
- The Dragon and the Phoenix, Episode 7: The Road to Hell

Post subject: New Buffy Movie.....Without Joss
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:21 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Yes It's true. Warner Brothers has decided to make a Buffy movie. Without Joss and without any of the original cast. Sign the petition and let them know what you think.

http://apps.facebook.com/petitions/1/no ... ffy-movie/

Post subject: Re: New Buffy Movie.....Without Joss
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:22 pm 
28. Com...plete

Let's see an internet petition or the potential to make millions of dollars, which one do you think the studios will pay attention too?

Seriously has anyone read the posts here?

For the most part we don't like Joss. The guy is an asshole jerk and if this movie is an affront to him or his fans then I want to pay to go every night it is out.

I say let him go screw up the Avengers. Mark my words in his movie you will see Wasp or Scarlet Witch beat to a bloody pulp to get the other team members motivated enough.

Sorry. But this is last place I want to see Whedon-worship.

Tim

Tara: "My whole life has been 'Tara, don't use your magic.' 'Tara, hide your powers.' 'Tara you will scare someone.' But you tried to hurt and then kill Willow. So maybe it is time I showed everyone just how powerful I am."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:55 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Are you saying you'd rather watch something like the original movie? It's not just about Joss. I would be hesitant to see any 'Buffy' movie for fear it would be a mockery of the TV show. If the cast would be the same, I would consider it. Now, with a new director and a new cast, the only thing this film will have similar to the TV show will be the title. It's no way to gain new fans of the show.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:54 am 
28. Com...plete

Maybe the new movie will be BETTER. We have no way of knowing.

And frankly the TV show spent two seasons mocking itself, I can't see the harm some movie would do.

Tim

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:28 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

You do realize that even if the movie does include Willow, she won't be played by Alyson Hannigan and probably won't be a lesbian. She will either have a boyfriend or be single throughout the entire movie. If she's single, she'll probably still talk to Buffy about boys. Not a movie a W/T fan would enjoy.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:43 pm 
28. Com...plete

Well thanks to this movie Buffy is now owned by Warner and Willow etal are owned by Fox. There won't be a Willow or Tara in this movie at all.

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:45 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

All the more reason not to see it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:31 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Topics: 2
I honestly will NOT watch a Buffy movie without the original cast (and without W/T in there).

I think that...although I pretty much want to kick Joss ass for the stupid decisions he made...he still created Buffy and only he can give a new movie the... "Buffy spice" we all love so much.

I'll risk watching a movie with the original cast but without Joss because in the end...who made the characters to be what they still are, those are the actors. I CANT see Buffy with other than Sara, or Willow being played by somebody who's not Alyson, etc. (and lets not talk about Tara. NOBODY could EVER play Tara better than Amber). That's why I will not even care if the original cast isnt in it. I dont want Willow to have somebody else's face. Alyson is Willow's face. Amber's Tara's face. But without the original cast...it could NEVER be the same...NEVER...

So let them....they can make another movie....but I, as a Kitten and BtVS fan, will NOT watch it. I know a few bucks less wont make a difference in the box office...but atleast I wont waste 20 bucks to go watch a movie that will only make me want to puke. lol

Post subject: Re: New Buffy Movie.....Without Joss (SMG comments)
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:48 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2011/05/11/sa ... ible-idea/

"I think it's a horrible idea," she said bluntly in an interview with CNN (via Blastr). "To try to do a 'Buffy' without Joss Whedon, I mean that's, like, honestly, to be incredibly non-eloquent: that's the dumbest idea I've ever heard."

Marti had a little to say about the remake as well: "I wouldn’t want to be the person trying to write it. And I worked on the show, but I would not want to be that [person] because the fans are very loyal. They’re excruciatingly loyal, unless they hate you, in which case they’re excruciating about that too.

You think she was talking about us? :bigwave

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:45 pm 
28. Com...plete

I swear. The more people bitch about this thing the more I want to see and the more I want it to do well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:00 pm 
9. Gay Now

Topics: 15
It'll have the same connection to Buffy the series that the original movie did: Bugger All.
It'll just be another vampire movie, maybe good, maybe bad.
The only thing it will have is the name and vampires.

Why worry? it'll have about as much impact on us as Twilight did.
"Oh, a vampire movie? guess they're back in then..."

I just can't be bothered.

My Story: Coming Home

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:57 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

It will suck all kinds of ass just like most of the remakes that have come out lately. Hollywood needs to get an original idea and leave the classics (movies or t.v. shows) alone.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:18 pm 
5. Willowhand

Topics: 6
My faith in vampire movies, and the horror genre in general has gone downhill these past few years. I'll admit, I had fun watching the recent Fright Night remake. Not the best movie, but fun.

Fact is, I'll probably see it. If it's done well, multiple times. If done...badly, I'll still see it for the lulz. Unless it proves to actually be too painful to watch. I've sat through Human Centipede like, 3 times so this can't be that bad. Not expecting a movie that will make my Kitten-y heart sing, not expecting it to be all that good. I just want it to be fun.

But until then, a 'Buffy' without Joss? I thought we had that? It's called the Kitten Board :)

"Friendship is obviously magic. Love is a sorta super strong friendship. We gay people love so hard we broke 'Social Norm'. Ergo, we gay people are ultra-strong wizards."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:52 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Topics: 1
WebWarlock: I was jumping for joy when I heard this movie would be w/o Joss. Literally. I actually did like the original movie version as well as the TV show, but I would feel really awful going to see a movie that I thought would be lining Joss's pockets in any way shape or form.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:18 am 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Well, the project has been pretty much frozen. Read about it HEREif you're interested.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:54 am 
2. Floating Rose

Oh man, I hope this plan stays frozen. Forget the fact that it's a Joss-less production (a bad idea for any movie), but the fact that it could have the same name as the series is a horrific thought. People would associate it with the show which would just be so damn wrong! Ugh, I'm getting nauseated just thinking about this movie. I'm glad they hit a "roadblock" and hope to god they never get past it!

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:18 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Topics: 1
Whilst I fully believe that Joss should get first crack at doing a Buffy movie, I do not believe the man is infallible nor do I believe that his absence means the film will automatically be bad. It certainly needs a good writer and a good director at the helm ones who understand what made the show work and transpose those qualities to the big screen. That doesn't require Joss.

As I've said, Joss should have first dibs on it, but if he doesn't want to hand it off to someone else. This notion that only Joss can write Buffy is a very strange one to me.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:08 am 
5. Willowhand

Topics: 6
My main concern, personally, is not the lack of Joss. I mean c'mon! How many other writers worked together to make BtVS a series that we all loved?

No, my main fears are:

a) Shitty comedy trying to cash in on the vampire craze
b) An attempt a 'darker' and 'edgier' that completely misses the point that lighter tones and generally peppy characters made the darker scenes all the more horrifying in the series
c) The main character is named Buffy. And she kills vampires. Everything else is unrecognizable.
4...no, wait. d) In an attempt to reference it's source material, certain characters' sexual orientations are mentioned as 'phases' for the sake of one-off jokes, while being retconned into 'Heterosexual Default'.

Sadly, I fear that at least two of those will come true. I will retreat into fandom, and fanfiction, all the while people will rave about how "OMG Boofay was sucha good movie!" and gifs. will appear all over Tumblr and livejournal and memebase, and the floodgates will open and the internet will be awash with fanfiction taking place in 'movie-verse' and..and..oh god the fandom will never be the same again and then there will be flame wars upon flame wars about whether or not the new movie or the original series are better, and people being all like, "You're not a real fan if.." etc. but fans of the original original movie will be all like, 'Peace, yo.'

Neurotic fears aside, if they were casting a bunch of young unknowns to play teenaged characters, though, I'd implore younger Kittens to get in on that. It'd be the best Comic-con panel ever.

"Friendship is obviously magic. Love is a sorta super strong friendship. We gay people love so hard we broke 'Social Norm'. Ergo, we gay people are ultra-strong wizards."

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:21 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

I'm pretty sure the reboot has been shelved.

http://www.metro.co.uk/film/885939-buff ... be-shelved

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:07 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

I'd watch the move if it had Buffy + fox owned characters. But I couldn't care less to watch a movie solely about Buffy.
I always watched the show in spite of Buffy, not because of her :/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:20 am 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Quote:
But I couldn't care less to watch a movie solely about Buffy.
I always watched the show in spite of Buffy, not because of her

My sentiment exactly. Joss had his moment and he F^<&ed it up. Buffy isn't a trophy any more. It's a crutch that he clings to with desperation.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:48 am 
9. Gay Now

Topics: 4
I'm so glad that this was 'canceled' because the director/writer was fired. I really don't think we need a movie when we already have a (terrible) movie, and 7 seasons of an amazing TV show. Do we really need to have a new movie come along and screw everything about the series up? Nope.

"Between a laugh and a tear, And that's as good as it can get for us, And there ain't no reason to stop tryin'" - John Cougar Mellencamp, "Between A Laugh And A Tear"

"I've always been a big fan of books." - Amber Benson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:15 am 
28. Com...plete

Actually we did have something that screwed up the entire series. It was called Season 7.

Lest we all forget where we are here.

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:56 am 
9. Gay Now

Topics: 4
WebWarlock wrote:
Actually we did have something that screwed up the entire series. It was called Season 7.

Lest we all forget where we are here.

Tim

Oh course, forgot, silly me. I try to forget Season 7. I have a love-hate relationship with it

"Between a laugh and a tear, And that's as good as it can get for us, And there ain't no reason to stop tryin'" - John Cougar Mellencamp, "Between A Laugh And A Tear"

"I've always been a big fan of books." - Amber Benson

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:10 am 
2. Floating Rose

maudlin wrote:
I always watched the show in spite of Buffy, not because of her :/

Word!

But aside from that.

This reminded me of the poll asking whether we would watch a Willow and Tara based movie. I can only speak for myself, but I love that idea only, and I mean only if they were played by Amber and Aly.

The fact is, we fall in love with a show and its characters for the actors who play them. If the target audience was the existing fans, then this atrocity was a horrendous idea. An abomination. If the target audience were to be the younger generation...well then good luck with that anyway. Justin Bieber and Twilight groupies simply cannot comprehend and appreciate the glorious complexity that is the tale of Buffy and friends. (Excluding season 7, of course, which doesn't even exist in my world.)

I don't know if any of you were familiar with Dragonball Z or the relatively recent movie which went several thousands of miles beyond destroying its once-proud name, but this idea threatened to rival the absolute stupidity of that one.

I raise my glass to he or she who ultimately canned this project. Hear, hear!

Last edited by sandbarDragon on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:17 am 
2. Floating Rose

On a side note, I think a good movie would be to get the old cast back together and have a lighthearted look at how their lives would be now.

Oh wait. That doesn't work. Damn you, season 7! (And by that I, of course, include everything after half-way through Seeing Red.)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:13 pm 
20. Not one Much for the Timber

Topics: 15
I have some thoughts on this as well. I really believe they were going for a newer, younger audience. Just like they've done with remaking Footloose, Karate Kid, Dirty Dancing, etc. They have no shame.

Anyway, back to Buffy. I kinda feel like they missed their window of opportunity and too much time has passed to make a real Buffy movie with the original cast. I'm not saying they couldn't, but most are now over 40 or almost there. Then you have their current careers to deal with; like how after this season of HIMYM Aly will have been Lily longer than she was Willow. Plus, how would they handle the plot if reference to the season 8/9 comics? Would they include it or would it be completely different? Like a one off or something? Because if they chose to go in a completely different direction, it would void the comics and they have a lot invested in those.

I also think the notion of a movie probably came up a long time ago, but certain actors refused. And by certain actors, I mean SMG. That's pure speculation on my part, but I'm willing to bet money on it. She has done everything in her power to put as much distance as possible between herself and Buffy as she can. In a way, Aly has done the same thing, but she has said publicly that she'd do it if Joss was involved. I understand why actors do that as not to get pigeon-holed into always being a certain character, but in order for it to work, you have to do it respectfully. Which I believe Aly did and SMG did not.

Unfortunately, with the the time factor and Joss tied up with The Avengers...I just don't see it happening with the original cast; stranger things have happened, but I think if it ever does happen...it will be completely revamped. No pun intended. :p

"Transform your pain. Release your past. And ... uh ... get over it."
~Willow, Where The Wild Things Are