The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Does Tara ever take Willow for granted?
Poll ended at Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:30 am
Yes 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I Have A Different Opinion! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2
 Post subject: Lingering Lyrics
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:30 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 136
I saw a world enchanted
Spirits and charms in the air
I always took for granted
I was the only one there
But your power's shown
Brighter than any of I've known.

Granted is a term that lingers for me. Taking something or someone for granted is often seen with negative connotations.
Whilst the song plays with multiple meanings, the negative connotation of Tara taking things, magic or Willow for granted seems slightly off. Not out of the realms of possibility but in the way the majority look at ‘took for granted’ it doesn’t really gel with what we’ve seen to this point.

Took for granted, Cambridge dictionary definitions –

1 - To believe something to be the truth without even thinking about it

2 - If you take situations or people for granted, you do not realize or show that you are grateful for how much you get from them.

3 - To never think about something because you believe it will always be available or stay exactly the same.

Reading those and thinking about it, taking things for granted may not be off for Tara at all. She seemed to accept that she was a demon. She was in the Wicca group and none of them presented as the same type of witch she was, potentially coming to the conclusion she would be the only witch there. Then Willow came along, which fits with one of the lyrical meanings.

This brings us to this week’s poll –
Does Tara ever take Willow for granted?

Yes – Not a single thank you for all those apple sauce feeds.

No – She cares deeply for Willow, you can’t take someone you care about that much for granted.

I Have A Different Opinion! – It sounded convincing when I thought it.

Yes? I wouldn’t have thought granted was the word for it but perhaps Tara’s presumptions about Willow is an aspect of taking her for granted. The presumption that Willow would want nothing to do with her if she saw her family, the presumption Willow would work things out as she’s the brainy type. The presumption that Willow would never do anything to hurt someone.
Maybe taking someone for granted isn’t only about being ungrateful for what they do, but is a blind faith in someone. Which Tara definitely has for Willow. I certainly don’t think Tara was ungrateful to/for Willow. I don’t put a negative connotation on her blind faith in Willow, more neutral standing as there’s a balance.

It’s an interesting one I’ll have to think about it more before coming to a committed conclusion. For now I go yes.

*Rides in on a tricycle* Wanna play a game? - Five Minutes of Artistic Integrity - Those Three Little Words - Sassy Synonyms - Aradia's Antonyms